The Second Griffon War (Casual Thread - All welcome!)

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver

Cadence, when she sees the sword coming, meeps, drops her mace, and hides behind the shield, holding it with both hooves. It's a very solid, hard-to-break defence, but she can't exactly counter right now. A fighter, she ain't.

Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
After a moment of awkward pausing, Shining Armor reached out to gently push the shield to the side. "... See, you want to not drop your weapon..." He picks the mace up the floor in a telekinetic grasp and hands it back to her with a little frown. "Dear, you're going to have to learn this whether you want too or not. If a griffon manages to get close to you, you have no real defense besides your alicorn regeneration. And you know, but, I might not always be there especially in war time."

He holds the mace back out to her. "So... Again."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver

Cadence sheepishly took the mace back, and sighed. "Sorry, I panicked. Let's try again. I'll get it right this time." She stands with shield up and a tight grip on her mace, looking more determined this time, constantly relaying Shining's words to herself about trying to make the weapon slide off.

Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
"Look at that expression! You're almost intimidating. Almost." Shining said with a chuckle and a shake of his head. The stallion swung his sword around once before going for the exact same attack as before; a downward chop. If Cadence studied his movements, she'd see that he was not hiding behind his shield but rather angling it towards her; essentially protecting himself from an attack. When he swung down, he brought the shield up beside his blade. In a sideways strike he'd strike around his shield. Always work around the shield, don't make the shield work around the blade.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver

Though Cadence's shield wasn't as slanted as he'd shown her when he started the swing, it was when he connected, causing the sword to slide off just like he told her it would. Adding to this, Cadence, still deep in concentration, taking in everything she saw, pushed his sword even further away with the shield. In the brief few moments she had to think, she decided how to attack Shining. Any attack from the shield side, he'd block. Any attack from the front, he'd use his shield to block, and she could reach his blind side with her little mace, but she could attack the shield...

She swung her mace from her shield arm to the other direction, catching the inside of Shining Armor's shield and batting it out of the way, creating an opening, but because of her swing, she could capitalise on it, so she stopped, and put her shield back up. She blushed and smiled, quite proud of that little feat.

Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
Shining Armor probably could have countered that by back-stepping away, but he didn't. Instead he let her have that small victory and gave her a smile and a wink. "Good job! So now, since you're so good, we can move onto more complicated stuff. Try blocking these next few attacks."

Shining Armor lunges at her shield-first, using the shield to protect himself and forcing her to either back away or get pushed away. After a brief half-a-second of pushing her back his wooden sword whips out from behind the shield, slashing for her front legs while his shield retracts and slams forward like a whip, with the edge of it angled towards her chin.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver

Cadence meeps again, shield going up and determined mode once again engaged. He's attacking with his shield, so she could attack it with her mace, or use her shield to block it. She decides on the latter, as her mace wasn't very big. Their shields were being pressed together but Cadence was being pushed back by her physically stronger husband. He then aimed a slash at her, so she moved her shield into position and deflected it much the same way she did last time, then started to swing her mace. It was the last attack that caught her off guard, and she just tries to hit the shield as hard as she can with the mace without thinking, and then trying to duck under the chin strike. Luckily the mace blow slowed the shield enough to allow her to dodge it successfully.

She had only blocked two of the three attacks, but she hadn't gotten hit, at least.

Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
She was doing well. Incredibly well. Shining Armor was proud of his wife, but he also wasn't going to let her take a moment to rest; a real enemy wouldn't do that, so neither would he. He couldn't afford to go easy on her with a war looming around the corner. She could very well be put into a life or death situation like this and she needed to be taught as if she was going to be seriously hurt. Which she might be. Wooden swords could certainly break bones, although that's not what Shining Armor was going for.

The minute she ducked under his chin strike, he once again lashed out with his shield towards her snout. Whether it connected or not didn't matter; it would force her back further, right up against the wall of the training compound. Once backed against the wall any mobility advantage that her wings gave her would be taken away.

Shining Armors next move was dangerous, but he recognized that Cadence was better with that shield than she was with that mace, and he knew for a fact that he was better with his sword than she was with her mace. His shield lashed out and under her own shield, forcing them both away and leaving only their weapons remaining. He jabbed the point of his sword out under her foreleg and towards her stomach.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver

Cadence blocked the second shield attack with her own shield and was forced against the wall. That's when Shining battered her shield up and went for a stab. This was far more intense than before. She trust her husband, but maybe he was getting a little carried away trying to simulate a real fight. Cadence knew that she couldn't avoid that attack. Even if she tried to block with her mace, even if she wasn't too late, she wasn't great with weapons and it wouldn't help much. But, if this truly were a real fight, what wold Cadence do now? She smiled. It may have been against what they said at the beginning, but they never said they'd be fighting this intense in the first place.

She magically teleported to behind her husband so that he stabbed thin air, then, with two hands, lifted her mace over his head so that she was pressing it against his neck. From this position, with a bit more pressure, she could start choking him out.

"Sorry, dear, but you got a little too realistic, as if it was a real fight, and this is what I'd do in a real fight."

Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
He barely has time to react when he sees her teleport and the next thing he knows, the handle of her mace is pushing up against his neck. Unfortunately for Cadence, she was fighting a unicorn. Had this been any non-magical race, that would have worked splendidly. But unicorns had a little thing called telekinesis and with that, she had just put herself at a horrible disadvantage.

All Shining had to do was let go of his sword, catch it in a telekinetic grasp, and then bring the point up to her neck. It really wasn't hard at all, and Shining chuckled to himself after doing it. "You got far too close and made the wrong move. You should have swung at me with the mace rather than closing the distance like that and trying to choke me out."

He pushes the tip of the wooden sword painfully against the side of her neck. "I'd say that I came out on top here. Unless you think you could break my neck before I cut your throat?"

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver

"In case you'd forgotten, this is a real metal mace. I really don't want to hit you with it, but yes, I could have done so back there and the fight wold be over. Even if I snapped your neck instead of talking, the fight would be over. I swear, you get too lost in the moment to forget you're training sometimes, like how you're trying to draw blood with a wooden sword. Seriously, stop that. It hurts."

Cadence lets go with the mace, but noticeably, she's still tense, and still has a firm grip on the shield. She's learning. "But yes, you came out on top there, I think, to nobody's surprise."

Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
Shining Armor just shakes his head and rolls his eyes. "I'm not trying to make you bleed from a wooden sword, don't be dramatic." The stallion pulls away from her and levitates his sword back over to the wall, setting it down on the stand that he got it from. "Either way, good job. Thanks for not clubbing my skull in, it's greatly appreciated."

Latios Latios
@Dreamsthefox
"Thank you for your time...", the young dragons says solemnly before walking off in the direction were the town jeweler was pointed out. On the way, he takes one of the gem muffins. Which helped lighten the mood a little after hearing such dire news. "Wow. There's nothing like pony home-cooking", he commented lightly.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver

"You honestly think I'd consider doing that just to not 'die' losing a training session? I didn't want to hit you at all. I just wanted to learn how to fight, and I think I have a grasp on some basics now. Thank you."

Cadence levitated her weapons back to the wall also, and then trotted alongside Shining Armor. "So, what now?"

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
Avedon stared down at Ponyville. The closest thing the soldier had ever had to a home in a life quite literally spent on the battlefield of the north. He allowed the stallion in himself the briefest of moments to dwell on that before it was pushed out.

"Possibly. The danger is also that it's so close to the capitol that if we lose it's farmland and resources our own position defending here will be weakened after we push the griffons back. Scorched earth is best relied further away from your final line of defense. I leave the decision to you my Princess. We'd have to either be able to hold it, or allocate all possible resources into Canterlot."

Avedon Avedon
"We have enough food to last us years stockpiled in Canterlot mountain. It's amazing how you can preserve things with magic." Luna said with a chuckle before finally nodding. "I will order the troops to go gather everything that they can during the invasion. Let's empty whatever we can from Ponyville and hope that we don't need to burn it to the ground during this war..."

"Another thing." this time Luna leans back in her chair and crosses her fore-hooves in front of herself. "I think for the time being, we should lift the ban on necromancy. Lets recruit the necromancers that come out of hiding, and use their magic to send the dead friends of these griffons back at them. It should terrify the soldiers and civilians alike and help to shatter their confidence. Let's show them just what our magic can do. Any necromancers who help in the war will not be persecuted after the ban comes back, unless they are caught practicing necromancy after the ban returns."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
Avedon was no stranger to dark magic...and his own daughter was an infamous necromancer
"...do you really have to ask me of all people whether thats a good idea?"

He pauses to think with a frown

"...I do know one very powerful necromancer. A foreigner to this country. If anyone can rally them from their woods it'd be the beacon of his unholy flame."

Avedon Avedon
"See to it that this necromancer hears of my plans and hopefully from there we can draw others out of hiding." Luna commands, scratching at her chin and staring down at the map in front of them. "I think that covers our defenses. Now we just have to get mobilized and set up watchpoints along the way. Do you have anything to add, General?"

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
"Nothing of note in grand-strategy. I'll set our forces into motion, handle the details. Contact me via dreams if you must. I'll be taking the first train in the morning to the coast to personally oversee it's defenses and leave Canterlot to you. I'll return as soon as the east is secure to my liking to marshall our forces here and prepare for attack and counterattack. I'd ask you to pick whatever batpony you can trust most to handle Hollowshades. It would mean more to them if the order to prepare the town for destruction came from you than it would if it came from me."

Latios Latios
"Good to know. But don't stay there forever. Trust me", he assures quietly. "Its not always as fun as it looks", he comments from his own personal perspective. He takes another bite from his gem filled muffin and is struck again with a euphoric surge before scarfing the rest of it whole. "Man, you ponies and your home-cooking. Especially your pasteries. Why didn't I think of this?", he says as he takes another bite from his third one.

Latios Latios
Realizing he's been stuffing his face, he never realized if there were any regular muffin in the mix with the gem muffins. He stops and frantically checks to make sure there was at least one scrumptious pastry edible for ponies. To his relief, he found one mixed in with a fruit. "Lucky you. Guess that nice mare was considerate enough to have some for you too", he smiles and holds it up to Galagus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back