Viewpoint The Roleplay Killer

I have to ask, what exactly is a special snowflake?
Essentially someone who's like Harry Potter, more "special" than everyone else- humans and snowflakes are all unique, there is no more unique, but some people try to do that.
For example, "My parents died when I was three, I grew up with wolves, oh yeah, I'm a vampire, and I have magical powers because I'm actually half vampire and half magical elf princess! You, know, normal."
That's a more extreme example, though

I have to ask, what exactly is a special snowflake?
I'm glad you asked. I do a lot of roleplaying on MMOs. I'm sure lots of people have had encounters with them on forum RPs too.
A special snowflake is, for example; A being who is an extremely rare race (in a fantasy world, lets say) with extremely rare weapons, who possesses loads of ancient knowledge, is rich, master of every type of magic, and also can juggle while doing backflips. They are also only seventeen years old and learned to fight at the age of -2 and have completed all of their life goals. Etc.
In short, it's the character that has no development because they already have everything, it seems. Rarely do these characters have flaws or shortcomings. This makes it less fun for other players involved, because conflict tends to be what adds tension within in a story and makes it good. If every problem can be solved with some sort of simple, special snowflake response, then it's not really a 'problem' or 'plot hook' to begin with. That being said, character development to me, personally, is the most rewarding part of roleplay. It makes the story and the character/s involved much more compelling.

I don't like it when my partner makes everything...cookie cutter I suppose. Not really wanting any conflict and making everything a storybook tale. Where's the fun in that? When there's no conflict between characters then things tend to get boring. Also, when it's obvious that your partner has lost interest. I'd rather people tell me they've lost interest than try to force a response that's lack luster or straight up ditch the rp. I'm a pretty understanding person and know it happens. I'd like a heads up or even try to work on ideas to put some spark back into it!

Oh! And having characters with absolutely no flaws! Like they're character is perfect in everyway and can do no wrong.

Also, when they don't want to do mature themes when I clearly state I do mature themes! I understand some people are uncomfortable with certain things, but I warned them! I'm in my mid twenties and I like to get into the dark nastiness of the world. Life isn't all sunshine and rainbows.

Last edited:
I don't like it when my partner makes everything...cookie cutter I suppose. Not really wanting any conflict and making everything a storybook tale. Where's the fun in that? When there's no conflict between characters then things tend to get boring. Also, when it's obvious that your partner has lost interest. I'd rather people tell me they've lost interest than try to force a response that's lack luster or straight up ditch the rp. I'm a pretty understanding person and know it happens. I'd like a heads up or even try to work on ideas to put some spark back into it!
I second this! The cookie cutter thing. I also like what you said about making everything a storybook tale. Some of the most interesting endings aren't always happy.

People who care more about their character than the story we're trying to tell together.

Let's break that down.

• People who have a hyper sensitive ego which is easily derailed by the slightest perceived transgression against their character.
  • People who think they can decide the outcome of a setting, lore and plot you created with a specific vision in mind, better than you (when you have an outcome).
  • People who just want to sit in a corner throwing random wrenches in the plot to watch everyone wince and cringe with annoyed disappointment.
  • People who have no finesse when it comes to weaving character narratives, and just want to do whatever feels right at that time.
  • People who don't communicate and think spontaneity is an art form.
  • People who want to do whatever they want, however they want, whenever they want.
  • Males who turn everything into a pissing contest.
  • Females who turn everything into a "save/care for/love me" fest.
  • People who feel they should be at the center of everything.
  • People who feel like they are the strongest character on deck, no matter what.
  • People who are afraid to be defeated or show weakness.
  • People who purposely cause tension and drama, and nothing else.
  • People who don't know when to move the plot along.

Also, people who are overtly difficult about everything, character build or not. When your character negates, disagrees with, corrects, or downplays anything anyone else says or does, you're a problem.

I also dislike characters who have no consistency. Just a hallow shell for the player to enforce their will upon the story. We've all played with the knight who is dead set against torturing the captured goblin for information, but beheads three of his comrades five posts later.

The biggest roleplay killer for me would have to be honesty/compatibility.

Personally, I prefer to have a relaxed posting schedule with lengths that are either advanced or bordering novella as well as a few other preferences for genre and partners, all of which I state on my interest checks.

About one out of three times I’ll be hit up for a roleplay by someone who either matches one or none of these details, (a few times I’ve even had people claim to match all my preferences just to type a couple one liners and ask why I’m not replying half an hour after their message.)

I find this to be somewhat unreasonable because I always end up putting in so much time and effort just to be quickly let down because our styles don’t match up.

This isn’t to bash anyone who prefers one liners or quick schedules, and I get it can sometimes happen just by accident, it’s more to just explain that I prefer people try to match with those that are similar in style or are looking for your style, rather than messaging someone who is looking for something completely different.

When it comes to super hero RPs, what kills it for me is when the GM has in their rules not to RP a god character or OP character. Then the GM's character is some super-powered omnipotent god lord character. Unless the GM says that he or she is the only one who is to play god in the RP, then I expect even the GM to follow their own rules. This is an instant kill for me.

Instant kill for me is a partner who doesn't work with what I'm giving them in a post. Half the fun of RP is that you don't know exactly what is going to happen when your character does something, but you know it'll have an impact of some kind (whether positive or negative) depending on how your partner interacts with the material. When you have a partner who just does their own thing and doesn't build off of any of the elements you're weaving it totally kills it for me. It would be like asking someone to build a Lego mansion with you and then they end up building a totally separate Lego house beside the one you wanted to build together with them.

When it comes to super hero RPs, what kills it for me is when the GM has in their rules not to RP a god character or OP character. Then the GM's character is some super-powered omnipotent god lord character. Unless the GM says that he or she is the only one who is to play god in the RP, then I expect even the GM to follow their own rules. This is an instant kill for me.

I agree, but at the same time, every verse needs a Darkseid or Galactus type of character who is seemingly unmatched in power. Only one person gets to play them.

Like in my verse, Kronos is OP, but I actually want to find the right person to play him. I don't want to have to. I want to play the heroes who have to face him.

Brickwalling: When a RPer fails to advance anything in their post. RP should involve a certain amount of reaction and action. I react to what you said, then I advance the plot/interaction, by adding something new. Every post should progress the story and give the other player/s something to work with. Otherwise it becomes like a one-sided conversation where you find yourself asking all the questions and only getting monosyllabic responses.

"Hi, how are you?"
"Fine."
"Where are you from?"
"Manchester."
"What are you doing here?"
"Not much."

In a real world interaction you'd just walk away, and the same thing happens in RP. No one wants to be doing al the work. I feel like this is worse than literally almost anything, especially if it's combined with serving up a one-liner.

No patience whatsoever. Oh no, I get bored if I have to wait twenty minutes for a reply. I mean what am I going to do?

Only one person is contributing to the direction of the plot the other person just responds to the post without even trying to move it along or add ideas.

If the person or persons in general uses one liners.

Teen pregnancy and obsessing over it, like that is all you will play in a character. Trust me, there is someone here who does that.

If you are not proactive in the rp, I make it quite clear I am going to off your character/characters or if you leave without warning. I do not do well bunnying other characters.

Not posting or if you do post, ignoring your numerous characters bit for one specific character. That happened, again with same person above in my rp clover hills where the kid ignored all her characters but for one and then in her offshoot of my rp.

Telling me you are not going to use my ideas for an rp, then going around and doing it anyway. That is going to piss me off and I will seriously consider reporting you or dropping out. Again, this happened with the kid who obsesses over teen pregnancy on Rpnation. I said do not use my rp or start it up again....it happens anyway.

Putting actions like this: *Waves to Ben.*. “Hi Ben!” *Blushes*

Using text speech or instant messaging speech in an rp or POV. Sorry but I am not a teenager. That annoys the hell out of me.

Oh another thing. The GM or co-gm not moving the story along or disappearing without warning. Umm yeah...that pisses me off and happened before with clover hills. That’s why I did not invite the co-gm originally to the reboot when I changed it all so that it had the general idea and then made it my own...twice.

When you specify language skills are important and you like a little bit of length to your posts, and then you get a two-sentence intro post with text speak. I try not to be a stickler, but...really? It's so disappointing, I can't even try to write a response back.

Ghosting or disappearing for long periods of time. I'm a really laid back person so when someone just stops responding, I actually take it kind of personally. I know things come up but even just a "Hey, I won't be responding anymore" is totally okay with me, no questions asked. I always super appreciate at least telling me and I will normally respond just wishing them well and thanking them for being a part of an RP with me!
I know I shouldn't take ghosting personally I just sometimes feel like I was nicer or more upfront people wouldn't mind telling me when they're done with RP, so I end feeling like I'm not nice enough.

Ghosting or disappearing for long periods of time. I'm a really laid back person so when someone just stops responding, I actually take it kind of personally. I know things come up but even just a "Hey, I won't be responding anymore" is totally okay with me, no questions asked. I always super appreciate at least telling me and I will normally respond just wishing them well and thanking them for being a part of an RP with me!
I know I shouldn't take ghosting personally I just sometimes feel like I was nicer or more upfront people wouldn't mind telling me when they're done with RP, so I end feeling like I'm not nice enough.

A good way to grow out of this thinking (that it’s your fault if someone ghosts) is to assume every time someone ghosts it’s for some kind of real life issue.

I have had at least four different people leave due to a death in the family, two leave for extended hospital stays, one lost their job, and three lost internet access.

So whenever someone ghosts my first thought is always : oh no something must have come up in their life. I usually send a follow up asking if they’re okay or if they need help before moving on.

Even if the person really did just leave because they were tired by making the assumption that it’s something outside of my control I find I get less bummed out or self-conscious.

I don't really get why this would instantly kill a roleplay. Can you clarify it for me, please?

This person’s characters are always pregnant teenagers. Whenever I see this person in something like an interest check, the first thing they seem to ask is if they can make a pregnant character. They have an...obsession almost with it. They also never rp their children their pregnant character has, at least not in my old rp. An example is I allowed them to make a pregnant teen werewolf. Well, when their children were born, they barely role played with their babies so I killed off the two runts...it was an exchange for allowing them to have another character which I put my foot down about having ties to a major organization in the werewolf rp as I had a spy of that group already through my co-gm and friend. Every other bloody post was about how hard their pregnancy was as a pregnant teen werewolf. Eventually, I can’t remember at the moment how, but I and some others playing alphas had this character (my staff) made the character barren. What does she do after this? Immediately makes another pregnant character to replace the one that was rendered barren as a result of the beating my violent pack gave her after her previous litter was born. I shot that down and refused to accept the character.

I used to rp with someone else like that as their characters were always demon wolves. That was all they role played even though they were semi realistic wolf role plays. Eventually the owners banished that person from their websites.

So I guess, it is somewhat the pregnant teenagers but more than that, it is the lack of variety in your characters and always wanting the same type of character, no matter the role play. Especially as this person was a minor at the time which rally creeped me out.

This person’s characters are always pregnant teenagers.
And your point is?

I still don't really understand why that'd would kill any roleplay. Even if you're talking about one player suffering from a lack of character variety as a whole (but why specially single out teenage pregnancy in that case?), if that one player is having fun and such a character works with the setting it won't really hurt the rp.

Eventually, I can’t remember at the moment how, but I and some others playing alphas had this character (my staff) made the character barren. What does she do after this? Immediately makes another pregnant character to replace the one that was rendered barren as a result of the beating my violent pack gave her after her previous litter was born. I shot that down and refused to accept the character.
As a quick sidenote, that story paints you in a much worse light than it does her.

Zipper Man Zipper Man i think they mean fetish characters. So it’s not about a specific situation (ex. pregnancy) it’s about how you fetishize it.

I am not familiar with their particular examples but one I saw on another site was a woman who had to make all her characters “lesbians”. Really all she wanted to do was play out a fantasy where a Jessica Rabbit looking woman humiliated her characters sexually.

Literally the only thing she roleplayed no matter the plot. Now sure technically that might be realistic but it’s also a highly specialized situation which tended to derail the plot and honestly made me super uncomfortable.

Especially since she wanted me to be the one to humiliate her character sexually.

Now granted I kicked her out long before the roleplays ever started but I can understand being frustrated and creeped out by fetish characters.

Because they tend to be scene stealers and far more interested in getting off than contributing to the story.

Males who turn everything into a pissing contest.
People who have a hyper sensitive ego which is easily derailed by the slightest perceived transgression against their character.

This... exactly.

Most folk that know me, know that I absolutely love military-themed roleplays but when the characters are pretty much the same 'chad' cliché.. Especially those who play alot of video-games, COD and so on and they just want to make a 'first person shooter, master-chief, single-liner, doom-guy' badass and he/she rarely if ever meshes well with the other characters. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back