Viewpoint The Roleplay Killer

And your point is?

I still don't really understand why that'd would kill any roleplay. Even if you're talking about one player suffering from a lack of character variety as a whole (but why specially single out teenage pregnancy in that case?), if that one player is having fun and such a character works with the setting it won't really hurt the rp.

As a quick sidenote, that story paints you in a much worse light than it does her.
To be honest, it's not really for your understanding on what another person considers could be a roleplay killer for them. Maybe they had experiences with teen pregnancy that rubbed them the wrong way and granted the story they told was a little on the what the heck side but nonetheless they still give you an answer. It might not be the one you wanted to hear but regardless it was their answer. They don't have to give a whole essay of an answer if they don't want. Sometimes you just have to move on.

When someone doesn’t provide depth to their character or use punctuation.

I’ve literally had someone not use punctuation in their posts other than quotation marks. It drove me crazy and was incredibly hard to follow/understand.

As for depth is characters I mean just that. Like, give insight to what your character thinks and feels and why too. I’m aware I’m not the best at this but I try and happily take criticism for it.

Taking a long time during the introduction always kills my roleplays. That's why I always make sure that if I have to do some tavern or first day of school beginning scene I make sure to wrap it up as quick as possible and get to the real story meat. Or I just throw us straight into the action (like I did with my most recent rp) like a sort of in media res sort of thing.

Hm, I know I've probably killed an RP or two in my past. Whoops.

But there are some roleplayers that I just can't work with. For example, I love the "shy x bold" (either platonically or romantically), but sometimes when certain folks get the shy role, they over exaggerate, like to the point where it was dead silent and my OC had to carry on the plot and whatnot, because of the other character not really doing anything, it was whack.

I also dislike that sometimes people also tell me my OC won't work because my OC is trans. It's happened to me several times (not on here thankfully), but I just, kind of back out and be like "okay I get it you're transphobic". Like it could be a modern-day "slice of life" roleplay, and my character being trans has nothing to do with the plot ((and also said character is actually happy with their life and happy they're getting the support they need and stuff, so I don't make that the main focus)), but people are really out here telling me no because of it. Sigh

This person’s characters are always pregnant teenagers. Whenever I see this person in something like an interest check, the first thing they seem to ask is if they can make a pregnant character. They have an...obsession almost with it. They also never rp their children their pregnant character has, at least not in my old rp. An example is I allowed them to make a pregnant teen werewolf. Well, when their children were born, they barely role played with their babies so I killed off the two runts...it was an exchange for allowing them to have another character which I put my foot down about having ties to a major organization in the werewolf rp as I had a spy of that group already through my co-gm and friend. Every other bloody post was about how hard their pregnancy was as a pregnant teen werewolf. Eventually, I can’t remember at the moment how, but I and some others playing alphas had this character (my staff) made the character barren. What does she do after this? Immediately makes another pregnant character to replace the one that was rendered barren as a result of the beating my violent pack gave her after her previous litter was born. I shot that down and refused to accept the character.

I used to rp with someone else like that as their characters were always demon wolves. That was all they role played even though they were semi realistic wolf role plays. Eventually the owners banished that person from their websites.

So I guess, it is somewhat the pregnant teenagers but more than that, it is the lack of variety in your characters and always wanting the same type of character, no matter the role play. Especially as this person was a minor at the time which rally creeped me out.
DUDE what the heck I rp so much more than pregnant characters, I just happen to like them. It's not like they're the same? Each one is created as a different person and stay, the pregnancy isn't their SOLE feature, if ya had an issue ya should've spoken to me XD 2. i'm almost 18 and very well aware of how they work, 3. literally 90% of people were chill with it lool 4. you in so much trouble that I stumbled across this thread //0-0 you always rp the same steriotypes too, we all have something we're comfortable with, mine just happes not be weirder than others. and I never force them into a setting.
And your point is?

I still don't really understand why that'd would kill any roleplay. Even if you're talking about one player suffering from a lack of character variety as a whole (but why specially single out teenage pregnancy in that case?), if that one player is having fun and such a character works with the setting it won't really hurt the rp.

As a quick sidenote, that story paints you in a much worse light than it does her.
it did, the whole rp kinda got overpowered by the alphas //0-0 then the story took this whole shift- anyone it kinda faded with me an the other members after that "^w^

I can't tell you an immediate killer but a slow one's the lack of activity. One person stops or loses interest and it starts a Mexican wave of inactivity and lethargy.
Yes, that recently happened to me. We were so active a few weeks ago in a group. Up until October, and things started to slow down significantly. Which caused a lot of us to kiss interest. Cause the people in the group went a whole two weeks without replies. And in the end everyone went on hiatus. So thus, after like 7 months, our long term group died.

i admit, im a horrid rp-killer particularly because im ghosting-prone due to depression and what not.
otherwise, me and my partner just.. stop talking because it seems like neither of us put enough motivation into keeping the discussion/rp alive or what not. and thats okay and i'd be a hypocrite if i didnt allow people to ghost me back LOL

im rarely in group rps, but when i am, always, always the biggest issue i find with them is the immediate clique forming. of course its not expected - nor possible i think - for a character to rp with every single one, but when a group of 2-3-4 people focus specifically on their characters and their interactions between each other ooc-ly and ic-ly, it kinda ends up making the rest of us feel alienated. all they talk about and fixate on are their characters and it feels very hard or anxiety-inducing to try and make your own character or another storyline relevant. i dont know if thats my own jealously at work or not, but it is what it is.

Systems in place to hinder your character that you worked so hard on to begin with. Had that elsewhere, somebody would do like 60 posts, gain a powerful item and basically put you (the person that wants to work for it) back to level zero or just plain useless against them.

Tldr
Giving people items that would basically destroy other people's character development they worked so hard on by making the said person curb stomp you. Not a pretty sight.

Another thing is:
Certain users automatically getting beefed up characters that can possibly one shot you even if your powerful as heck, just to put you down to size.

Just being unsure of what to do. I've been in rp's that failed to launch because no one had a clear idea what to do and no one was interested enough to brainstorm ideas. I dunno, but when communication in rp's only exist when the person posts....it doesn't give me much hope.

Instant Romance and Forced Romance. Seven posts in and already a character is showing signs of falling in love with my character before nightfall in the roleplay. Romance is fine. If it doesn't happen that's fine too but if it happens there should be some type of development to it, gradual build up and most of all it should be something both partners agree on.

If someone tries to go way to in depth it kills an RP and causes arguments. Example, I was playing a For Honor RP and I was RPing as the commander of the Samurai Forces, and this dude kept calling out that European swords would shatter Japanese ones. He wouldn't except the explanation that the RP was based on a video game, and it didn't matter. So the RP ended after the first fighting occurred in the RP.

If someone tries to go way to in depth it kills an RP and causes arguments. Example, I was playing a For Honor RP and I was RPing as the commander of the Samurai Forces, and this dude kept calling out that European swords would shatter Japanese ones. He wouldn't except the explanation that the RP was based on a video game, and it didn't matter. So the RP ended after the first fighting occurred in the RP.

I do like historical accuracy to the point that things actually make sense for the time period, but this is just nitpicky. I'm okay with stretching reality a little for the sake of having fun.

I do like historical accuracy to the point that things actually make sense for the time period, but this is just nitpicky. I'm okay with stretching reality a little for the sake of having fun.

Absolutely this. People are going to come with different amounts of knowledge of the setting. You can't dickishly enforce accuracy. If something goes waaaay off base I'll usually say something, but please... let people enjoy the fuuuun.

Absolutely this. People are going to come with different amounts of knowledge of the setting. You can't dickishly enforce accuracy. If something goes waaaay off base I'll usually say something, but please... let people enjoy the fuuuun.

Yep, exactly. I'm a history geek so usually have extensive knowledge of the periods I'm writing in, but I acknowledge that not everyone does. I'll allow some leeway as long as things don't turn completely outrageous. Like, we're not going to have a bunch of modern technology in a historical setting unless it's a time travel RP.

Here is a good one, really niché characters that really don't fit the world. Classic example of that would be the usual furry/antho in a world populated by Humans, Dwarves and Elves - wondering why everyone is staring at the walking, talking doberman. Or (talking from experience) someone trying to inject a technological advantage to make their character unique, was involved with a Lord of the Rings RP where two of the Dwarves wanted black-powder weaponry; the first one was a reasonable request as they wanted the old grenades filled with powder that would've been a common sight if the Dwarves had taken a deeper interest in the stuff.. and the other.. well..

I'll just post the image of the 'weapon' that the other wanted his Dwarf to have... in a LOTR roleplay.

shotty.jpg

A magazine fed, semi-automatic shotgun..

*Visual confusion*

Here is a good one, really niché characters that really don't fit the world. Classic example of that would be the usual furry/antho in a world populated by Humans, Dwarves and Elves - wondering why everyone is staring at the walking, talking doberman. Or (talking from experience) someone trying to inject a technological advantage to make their character unique, was involved with a Lord of the Rings RP where two of the Dwarves wanted black-powder weaponry; the first one was a reasonable request as they wanted the old grenades filled with powder that would've been a common sight if the Dwarves had taken a deeper interest in the stuff.. and the other.. well..

I'll just post the image of the 'weapon' that the other wanted his Dwarf to have... in a LOTR roleplay.

View attachment 650357

A magazine fed, semi-automatic shotgun..

*Visual confusion*

People wanting to insert furry characters into a realistic RP/setting is a huge nope for me. I've seen players try to do it. I'm not into furry RP at all either so I'm always disappointed when I see an interest check for something that sounds cool, but then find out it's for furry characters.

For me it’s taking control of my character in any way. Even if it’s something like: “The girl was the prettiest thing YC has ever seen.” NOPE. Bye Felicia.

I've been in at least one rp where the storyline is cliché and/or characters are the same. I don't mind cliché storylines too much, but at the same time, if you don't bring anything new with your victim-complex characters, I'm sorry, I can't. Victim-complex characters have their places and times, and they can be written well, but in the cases I've seen, it's mostly one-liners on top of that. I'm willing to give as much as the other person is, but when you consistently give little to nothing, and your character is flat, good riddance. Bye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back