[The Road Goes Ever On] 24 Descending Air: The Gate and Beyond.

Cthulhu_Wakes

Black Sun in a White World
Three months of island hopping and ventures upon the sea. The boat had ended up many, many miles off course in the seas northwest of Wavecrest. Well outside their territorial waters, in truth. It lead you all through many an island chain and straight you'd never seen, but the stars were true and began to lead you on course.

There was the negotiations with the Oliph People and the taking of water from their springs once ruled by a Fae noble. Long since vanished. The ships you've met along the way, such as the carrack of Gilo of Coral, have told the same tale: the Fae are well and truly gone. Rumor has reached of you over a thousand islands reappearing further west, solid, stoutly real and some even inhabited by folk who didn't know anything was amiss. You tacked with a line of Guild ships for a time through the Beryl Straights.

The Fae are gone. You've passed two known and mapped lesser courts, not one errant commoner or living tendrils of crystallized ink or even siaka men. Twice the crow's nest spotted Lintha sails on the horizon in Ascending Air, outrun or vanished both times. The Realm has not pursued, at least as far as any of you can be sure. Distant sightings of airships can never be confirmed.

But you're on course for Corsica, a known hotspot for wayward gods, elementals and all manner of the supernatural of Creation, much like the Neck. Should be mere hours from sighting land if the maps don't lie.

Sun Mok

Mok paces the deck, back and forth and back and forth. He'd spent the time peacably enough, even taking the opportunity to enhance his essence and learn Old Realm, a language he was assured by Still Sky was the lingua franca of all gods and spirits. He'd done well to remain so patient, but now, finally, his long journey was coming to an end. Soon he would ascend to Heaven. And start yelling at people until he got some answers.

Until then, he paced.

Irukandji Darktide

The captain stands on the aft deck, his hands clasped behind his back, his eyes on the horizon. Three months it's taken. He hasn't been idle. His Essence has increased, and he's brushed up on his own Old Realm whilst Sun Mok learned. Those rumors of the thousand islands, to the west, held promise. Trade with heretofore unknown ports held great promise. Not as much promise as Yu Shan, though. Provided they didn't die.

The thought of Heaven knowing their business churned his stomach. Sun Mok needed answers. But Irukandji worried that those answers might just be more dangerous than they're worth. He wasn't going to be the one to tell Mok differently. It was doubtful anyone could. A glance to the main deck shows the Sidereal pacing.

"Hey Mok. If you wear out the deck, you're going to have to pay for the repairs." A huge grin splits Darktide's face. "On the other hand, we could tie a rope to you, put you out in front of the ship, and let you haul the entire load to Corsica. What say you?" There's a huge wink waiting for Sun Mok should he glance in Darktide's direction.

Irukandji Darktide

"Vrij, get this man a harness! He has pulling to do!!!!" Darktide gives two thumbs up to Sun Mok.

To all on deck

The men are tacking the sails and Flynn is in the crow's nest, watching the seas. Some of the boys on deck laugh and fashion a harness for the good archer out of hempen rope.

"Care ta have a go?" Vrij laughs with the others and gets back to holystoning the deck.

To Darktide

Just a few more hours...

Irukandji Darktide

The captain walks over to Sun Mok and puts a companionable hand on the Sidereal's shoulder. "Just a few more hours, my friend. Your goal is within sight. Well, not sight, per se, but it's close. Not much longer." Darktide shakes his head. "Yu Shan. Never thought I'd see a day wherein I'd see Heaven." A wicked grin spreads over Irukandji's face. "Moray's gonna eat his heart out. Can't wait to see the look on his face."

Irukandji Darktide

Darktide shrugs. "He deserves his reputation. The man can be...terrifying when he's focused. But. Greatest sailor I've ever seen. Bar none. But I'm going to be greater. You can write that in the stars." A faraway look comes into Darktide's eyes, as if he's seeing something in the middle distance only he can see. "Always Moray's little brother," he says softly. "Not this time." Irukandji shakes his head, grins wanly, and gives another little shrug. His eyes, though, have that faraway look again...

Irukandji Darktide

Irukandji shrugs again. "We've fought before. We've drawn blood in those fights. We'll fight again. Brothers fight. It's what we do."

Sun Mok

Mok shakes his head. "Not what I mean. If the rumours are true, and he's an Exalt in the service of the Silver Prince...."

Irukandji Darktide

A stubborn cast comes over Darktide's features. "If the rumors are true. That's a big if. And if they are, well...I'll cross that bridge when I get to it."

To all on deck

Time passes slowly, the day arcs on, the sun marching across the sky. Soon, Flynn cries out shoals on the way and beyond that...

"LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!"

A hazy strip of land is just barely visible out there.

To Sky and Silk

In your respective cabins, you hear the cry of land from the crow's nest.

Irukandji Darktide

"Ok, me boyos," Darktide says, striding the deck confidently, "our destination is in sight. Let's stay sharp, lads, and we'll be in port soon. That means wine, women and wickedness. Not necessarily in that order! So keep on your toes, and we'll race the sun to it's setting!"

Still Sky

Blinking a trifle blearily, Sky ambles up on deck, idly scratching at his head and wondering vaguely if he'd misheard.

Sun Mok

Mok simply stands and stares at the fuzzy line on the horizon. Corsica. A way home.

Silk

Without seeming the least bit hurried, Silk strides out on deck. Her long, flowing garment of a material the same as her name snaps and flows around her in the breeze. A smile forms on her pale pink lips when she spots Mok gazing out on the horizon. On silent, cat feet, she sneaks up behind him, her arms stealing around his waist as she kisses his shoulder. "What has you so interested?"

Even the breeze can't dispel the scent of roses that surrounds her.

Sun Mok

Mok smiles, leaning his head back to cradle in to Silk's shoulder and clasping her hands at his waist in his own. "Hey you. We're almost at land, which means we'll be going to Yu Shan soon."

Silk

Staring at the blurry bit of land on the horizon, Silk turns her head, her lips barely grazing Mok's cheek as she whispers. "You never did tell me why we were heading there." She lets out a small chuckle. "Too busy dancing, I suppose."

Sun Mok

Mok chuckles, nuzzling into Silk's cheek. "Remember the whole thing with the Heart, and the incident on the island, and needing to find the Sidereal Exalted? I definitely brought it up before..."

Silk

Silk laughs dismissively, a hand caressing Mok's cheek. "Oh that. Yes. I vaguely remember something about it. I think we got a little distracted when you were telling me about it." There's that brush of her lips against his skin again. In truth, she remembers the details, though she made sure Mok was well occupied after their discussion. Enough to not question the fact that she was quite curious about it.

Irukandji Darktide

Darktide watches Sun Mok and Silk canoodle on deck. He looks at Leith, rolls his eyes, and then winks. "Cabins are below decks, you two. If you want to...dance, might I suggest you retire there? I've never been prone to sea sickness before, but my stomach is certainly doing flips right now."

The captain scratches his top lip, to hide the smile creasing his face.

Sun Mok

Mok starts laughing. "Oh no, the old sea dog is bitter! There there, we'll find you some pretty goddess. I've already got mine."

Silk

Pulling away from Mok, Silk turns the full brightness of her smile on the captain. The sun catches the light honeyed streaks in her hair as she tosses her head back and laughs. "Surely someone like you can stomach such a tiny bit of affection, Iru." A broad grin appears on her face as she laces her fingers in Mok's hand. "If it offends you so, maybe we will go below deck for a short while." Her voice is loaded with mischief as she winks at Mok.

Users who are viewing this thread