• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The rise of a fallen kingdom (1x1) (Closed)

As her alabaster fingers flipped through the pages of the old journal, the contrast of the stark black ink stood out. The lines and shapes drawn, woven into one-another in aggressive strokes of penmanship. Drops of rusty crimson occasionally sprinkled on the larger symbols. It was unsettling and as she continued to turn the parchment, I placed my hand on hers, "I do not know, but perhaps we should not dabble in it, Princess. It gives me an uneasy feeling." She nodded and closed the book, setting it to the side of the pile of blankets and furs that we sat upon - Ash resting at our side. We stared at the fire, sitting close for warmth.

We boiled some snow and as it cooled we drank it and began to fall asleep from exhaustion. I tried hard to stay awake, but my mind and body resisted. My heart reminded me that I needed to stand watch. That I had to fulfill my duty...Sleep.

It was like a whisper. I could feel the breathe of some ethereal voice speaking to me. Reminding me. Remember.

The fires were horrible. I saw them all screaming for help and I could do nothing! What if the Princess finds out what I have and should have done for her Father? All of this is my fault!

The moonlight of the two moons, Din and Dane was just enough to provide us cover as I led my team of Arthion Riders to Fort Ensyx. The Kings spies had gathered enough information to verify that Lord Eleneshe, a powerful mage, was staying there for the season. One of our rangers had scouted ahead and knew he would be in the garden with only two guards. It was over quickly. The sounds of muted struggle and death. I had completed what I was suppose to do, but it was then that I saw the child of Eleneshe. I hesitated. I did not want to kill the child, but I knew that we could not leave witnesses. It was my hesitation that made me turn on my own men, who's attempts were out of protecting the kingdom. I killed six of my own men and did not notice that in the fray, Eleneshe had survived and escaped. It was his wrath that started the fires, ether out of vengeance or by following orders. Damn the orders.

I cried and all of my fears, guilt and shame rolled out...I could not control it. I could see...I could see the face of my dead King and the soldiers I turned against to protect that child.

Hydrated and warm, exhaustion pushed it's way forward. Ash curled into my side as I laid my head down, I turned to look at Rolen who had already found sleep. The light from the fire casting light upon his face. I found myself lulled to sleep by the flames, the flicker a silent lullaby. My eyes closed.

A voice seemed to call out in the distance.

Are you a queen or a child?

I moved toward the throne, it sat empty. Scorched and broken. Much like the Kingdom I had watched fall, a mere statue, frozen and still as death spread out. I had watched, silent and scared.

Figures began to step from the shadows, ghosts. Eyes hollow as they looked at me.

"Princess, you did nothing."

"How could you leave us, burning and terrfied?"

Their voices came from every direction, a chorus of lost souls. The sound morphing into screams. Sounds I could not hear from the window I had looked out upon, naive to the suffering they endured.

A hand reached out to touch my shoulder, I turned to meet the eyes of my father. It was the only part of the image recognizable, his body burnt to the bone, crown singed.

"My darling Enyana, how truly lost you are," he took my hand in his, "How wrong I was to think you could ever sit upon the throne, to guide our people...how could I raise such a coward."

I jolted forward, reaching out to grasp the first thing within reach. My hand gripped Rolen, who was very much awake. Tears welled in his eyes, just as they did in mine. What was it he had seen?

I could not see the entity that had come to stand behind me, oblivious to its presence. It's true face hidden in the darkness, it did not speak to me but to him.

"A kingdom laid at your feet, its lost queen now under your protection," it laughed wickedly, "You will be her death, her blood on your hands, it was you that brought the downfall and you that will rob it of all hope."

I stared at the humanoid figure that stood behind her. Fear filled the room. The silhouette of a large figure, knew everything. It reminded us of everything. Insecurities. Grief. Shame. Like whispers in the wind, the entity spoke as the the sound of the door downstairs swayed at the cavern's breathe below.

"Queen. Captain. Your titles and your claims died with your failures. Now, hope will die with you." I could feel the words piercing my heart. Against my will, my arm reached for the dagger at my boot. I tried to resist, but slowly unsheathed it. "Spare her the future you will lead her to. Spare yourself the pain. You had failed your King. You will fail your Queen."

It turned to face Enyana, no eyes, just shadows. "The Queen of Ruin. Would you rule the dead? A fallen kingdom that you abandoned. Abandon hope Enyana. Abandon the idea that the man before you is noble. A knight? Look at him. He will kill you..." Enyana's eyes looked down at the shaking dagger in my hands. I resisted and the more that I did, the stronger the pull was.

Ash began to bark as tears wailed in both Enyana and my eyes. Forced to face one another, the entity tormented us. The barking was enough to distract the entity as I tossed the dagger to the side, discarding it. Enyana quickly grabbed the book and threw it into the fire.

The cold presence of the force left the room, but the weight it brought did not. It was still here. I grabbed Enyana's hand as we both stood to our feet, looking around the room and to the door that led below.

Guilt, shame, fear. Feelings one can not easily rid themselves of, it haunts our minds. Wrapping itself around our throats, suffocating what little truths we hold close. You cannot rid yourself of such thoughts by casting them into flame, it lingers, always.

I let my fingers stay in his grasp for a moment before letting them fall to my side. The words from the entity placed a barrier between us as I looked up at him. Unsure of the words to speak. I thought back to the blade in his hand, the internal struggle he must have had. How quickly he could have ended my life, the terror in his eyes knowing the same.

Queen of ruin.

The room itself felt empty, yet something stirred within me. I looked to the fire as the book was engulfed, its pages burning. I could not shake the feeling that much like the feelings now unleashed within these walls, something else had been freed as well.

I cleared my throat, shattering the silence.

"We should not stay here long," with my right hand I reached out to stroke Ash as I spoke but she returned my gesture with a low growl. I pulled my hand away, "Let us not speak now of the things said, we all need time to process."

I pushed past them both heading toward the door, it had a simple large rock resting in front of it, keeping whatever lay beyond it at bay. I struggled for a moment before Rolen came to assist, I could not bring myself to meet his eyes as we both worked to free the door. Once freed the door swung upon, carried by a brisk breeze that traveled down the now visible corridor. We were met first with the stench of mildew and rot.

As we made our way through the doorway, I felt myself begin to falter. A strange sensation coursed through my body, my head tilted toward the ceiling as I felt my body convulse. I placed my hand against the stone wall, bracing myself as my entire being shook.

"Rol..en." I managed to call out.

Only a few moments in time passed, but it felt like a lifetime as I struggled to gain control over myself. Then suddenly it stopped, my breathing was shallow, my hands trembling ever so slightly.

"I'm okay," I muttered, standing up straight and running a hand through my hair. I wasn't though and he must know it too.

The door was heavy and the chain that had held it together sat coiled on the ground. With the rock cast aside and the passage open, the smell that the breeze carried reminded me of an old death. Something ancient. I recalled a time when the King had us enter the catacombs of a once powerful and rich temple to harvest lost knowledge. This place had a similar smell, feel and warning to what may be lie ahead. As I surveyed what looked to be a natural cavern, I noticed feint runes written on the wall overhead and around the sides, like a ring.

From here oz there
from there oz here
E burakrin shared
without da fear

shed da Ardol
shed da tear
tezneech'th words
Tha now draw near

The runes roughly translated to dwarvish. I had picked up dwarvish while serving alongside a talented alchemist, Gunnar "Stonebottom". I would secretly teach him elvish when we would pass the time at camp during many quests together. "It is dwarvish" I said in a whispered voice. I re-read it, this time in common.

From here to there
From there to here
A passage shared
Without the fear

I shed the blood
I shed the tear
Tezneech's words
I now draw near

"Some kind of ritual..." my audible thoughts were interrupted by her voice. I turned quickly to Enyana, placing one hand at her elbow and the other gripping her hand for support. She assured me that she was alright, but the concern spoke for me, "Are you certain?" Something had affected her. Perhaps nerves? I thought to myself as I noted her trembling hand. "We should make a torch before going in. The cavern is deep and we do not know what is in there." We both looked into the black tunnel that stood before us and then to each other. "I saw a few tool staves, some sulfur and old lamp materials. I could possibly fashion a couple for us. Ash will stay with you as I fetch the materials." I squeezed her cold hands with assurance and quickly made my way back up the stairs, gathered the material and what remaining embers from the fire into a metal ash bucket that I had found.

It took some time, but I was able to make two torches with what I had and the tattered piece of canvas grain sacks in the cellar. They illuminated the area and door frame; however, their luminescence seemed to cowar like darkness from light as I attempted to light the passage. "That is odd. The torches seem to dampen, through the door. Magic?" I looked to Enyana, not knowing if she was familiar with the arcane and what little I knew came from a Druidic mother and it was not this kind of magic. Her father was a student of the arcane, albeit he rarely used it and no one dare challenge his skill with a shield and elvish swordsmanship. Ash stayed behind us, almost fearful of stepping in.

Last edited:
As Rolen went to retrieve materials, I let my eyes travel over the writing before me and the translation he had spoken. What ritual could it hold and had something more been unleashed into the darkness? There was a feeling hanging in the air, one that I could not identify. Ash was aware as well, she stood alert staring forward down the hallway.

I was startled slightly as Rolen approached once more. Composing myself I took notice of the way the light seemed to dim as we entered. In truth I did not know much of the arcane, only the danger it held. My Father however had a fascination with it and perhaps even dabbled. He would not allow me to study such things, I think he found blame in magic after the tragedy of my mother and brother.

I fought to suppress the memories now crawling to the surface, memories I had not allowed to haunt my mind in quite some time. The guilt was too heavy. It was my fault.

Shaking my head of such thoughts, I finally gave a response.

"I cannot say, I do not know much of the magical real.," I peered down the black hallway before us, "I do think it is safe to say that there is something strange residing in this place."

Our feet were quiet as we walked, occasionally I would reach out to touch Rolen's arm. Confirmation that he had not lost me and I had not lost him. The dull glow was just enough to see a couple feet in front of us, making the path we walked seem infinitely long.

I watched the light flicker lighting our way. My mind recalling the blaze that had blanketed my kingdom, the flame that engulfed that wicked journal. All fires die and that's when those that have survived crawl from the destruction.

I could tell that Enyana was uneasy. I felt the same way. Would we have been safer trying to survive the night in the cabin? Had the presence left? I asked myself several questions as we both now struggled to see in front of us and back the way we had come. I knew that the dwarves had carved tunnels for years that led to and from their towns in the Thundercliffs, this felt like one of them.

“The dwarves would connect a lot of these natural passages to their mines and towns. It helped the miners to be quick about their work and even quicker at transporting precious stones to and from the kingdom and adjacent trade towns. We were always surprised at how quickly dwarves could move from the mountains…well, this explains a lot of it.” I looked back at her - she seemed distracted. I could hear the pitter-patter of Ash’s paws as she stayed close to Enyana.

The torchlight would occasionally reflect off frozen patches of moisture on the cavern walls. The echoing sounds of water drops could be heard all around us. As we pressed on, the floor beneath seemed to shift terrain from solid stone and mud to lose and impacted splinters of…stone? I glanced down, lowering my torch to get a better look. I found myself reaching for her hand, affirming that she was still close. It had nearly slipped my mind that this was my Queen, as our fingers interlocked, a reminder that we were here together.

“This…this is not stone.” I said, noticing the splinters of off-white and mud stained fragments. Ash began aggressively sniffing them. I brushed a few aside with my foot and then glanced at our canine companion for affirmation, “Bone.” I looked up at Enyana. “It may not be wise to continue this way, perhaps we should double back?” As the words left my mouth, a cold gust of wind danced with the torchlight; rapidly, fluttering light against the cavern, until it was snuffed.

Silence. We could hear each other’s breath in the darkness. The silence was abruptly interrupted as the sound of shifting bone could be heard, scattering beneath the weight of something quickly approaching us from the depths of this place. I stood to my feet, dropping the dead torch, drawing my sword and positioning myself in front of my Queen, still holding her hand. “Something approaches!” The unknown force sounded like several soldiers running on chitin. As I struggled to look ahead in the dark, the sound grew closer…closer. Now it was coming from the way we had entered. Both sides! Enyana, Ash and I stayed tight and at the ready.

The invisible force was here! I could feel it…and…and then it was gone. The sound. The feeling. The silence interrupted by the natural water ahead.

“Whaa…what was that?” I struggled to speak as my heart raced.

Bone.

As the words left his mouth I felt my body quiver as if something inside had been awoken at the realization that we now walked upon death. His next words were followed by darkness and stillness. I pressed myself closer to Rolen, my heart pounded against my chest.

The slightest sound could be heard in the distance, a shift in the silence. I gripped Rolen's hand a little tighter, grateful for the comfort I found in his grasp. The ground beneath us quivered as the sound not only intensified but multiplied. As he drew his sword I found myself pressed up against his arm, my head buried in his shoulder. Eyes closed, ready to meet whatever it was hiding in the shadows.

Then it was gone as it never really existed at all, simply our minds grasping at madness. However the feeling within me seemed to grow with the once more silence.

Rolen spoke, and although I had heard his words, I could not respond. My body went into a fit, the hand that held his was now at my side, twisting and jerking. My head tilted back until my eyes were positioned at the ceiling. My screams were muted by the convulsions as I continued to writhe.

Suddenly it stopped, my arms were calm at my side. Slowly I brought my gaze to fall upon Rolen, but it was not me that spoke. Something now wore my expression, used my voice to convey its message.

"You both hold guilt in your chest, lies slip from your tongues, blood stains your hands" I cocked my head and smiled slightly, "No longer."

As if pushed by and invisible force, my body slammed into Rolen's much like the way we had first met. I felt empty and it was in that moment I realized whatever it was that greeted us before the fire and had never truly left. Only took residence within me, it knew my thoughts and perhaps his as well.

"Please let us leave this place," my voice was quiet and weak.

It was then I noticed light ahead of us, light that had not existed before. Peering under what appeared to be another door. I was hesitant in my movements as we approached, it seemed that opening doors is what had brought us here in the first place.

Clumsily I searched for the handle, the hallway still cast in darkness. Upon finding it, I rested my hand for a moment unsure of what we would find on the other side.

We were met with sunlight and a crisp breeze, it took a moment for my eyes to adjust. In front of us stood a large stone, ribbons draped over its top much like the one the Kingdom decorated outside the gates in honor of the harvest. They would decorate the formation at first light followed by a lavish ball within the castle walls at dusk.

My eyes traveled to the right, I fell to my knees at the sight.

My Kingdom stood before us. It stood in all its glory basking in the sunlight, it was not buried beneath death and ruin. It lived.

I looked once more toward the stone and the array of colors that decorated it. We had celebrated the harvest seven days before the night they had come and taken my home. Seven days before everything I had once known was lost.

It was not possible.

Last edited:
"The Harvest Festival?" I found myself confused as the smell of cooked meats, incense and Mrs. Thumble's bakery met us. Palpable and with an embrace. The sounds of drums and wooden instruments beckoned from inside the gates.

Shaking my head from the confused trance I found myself in, I quickly looked behind us to where we had come through. "It's gone! Princess Enyana, the door, it's gone!" Ash began to bark as the ground rumbled at the approach of soldiers on horseback. Enyana, tears running down the sides of her face joined me as we stepped aside from the road we had stood on. "The...what the..." A horseman broke rank, as they passed and approached. I recognized the leather tabard and face. A ranger. My heart sank, as he approached. I killed you. I had killed all of you. I watch this kingdom fall...

"Commander! We had assumed you had already arrived at the castle and made haste to catch up. The King is expecting us." Ranger T'Dal Oakenfield, an Arthion Rider. He stared at me, my brow furrowed in thought and confusion. "Commander Rolan?"

"Yes. Yes, of course." I replied, mindful enough to position myself in front of Enyana as Ash barked at the grey and black peppered quarterhorse that T'Dal sat upon. He attempted to look at who stood behind me. "Carry on. I will meet you there."

"Who is that?" He nodded, attempting to trot his horse around me for a better look. Ash, still antagonizing the beast. "Want me to do something about this dog?" He laugh, unsheathing a throwing knife from his balderic and flipping it from one hand to the other.

"No!" Both Enyana and I abruptly objected. "I mean, no, that will not be necessary. I am escorting this woman and her companion to the festival. I will catch up."

"Alright. Alright. So, who is she?" He looked at us suspiciously, as he sheathed his knife.

"She works with Mrs. Thumble. She had lost her dog, because of the crowds and I told her I would help find her. So, here we are."

"Well, my name is T'Dal Oakenfield or "Swift death". His arrogance was illustrated in the hand motions he made, announcing, with pride; this ridiculous name. Perhaps you've heard the Bards tell tales of me? Do you know who this is?" He laughed, pointing to me. "You asked the Megildur of the King to find your dog." He continued to belly laugh. If only he knew who stood behind me. Royalty to this Kingdom, heiress to the throne. The Princess we swore to protect.

"That's enough T'Dal! Carry on. That's an order." My voice was stern and I found myself stepping into the role that haunted me.

"Fine. Fine, Commander. As you wish. But, your heart gets in the way of business my friend. I will see you at the castle." He turned his horse and slowly trotted away.

As soon as he was out of site, I spun to face Enyana. Her eyes, reminding me of who I had first met and who I have grown to know, outside of the roles that life assigns us. "Magic." I said. "It has to be. Unless we are...dead?"

Last edited:
Had it all been a dream or did we now find ourselves in that state, a world amidst slumber? I found myself reaching out to place my hand on Rolen's arm as if to confirm that he was in fact still here.

My mind traveled back those seven days prior, to the morning of the Harvest festival. A morning that now greeted us. The events of the day played through my mind, I looked from the corner of my eye toward my companion as the memory of that evening came forth. How could I tell him what it was I heard and what more, how could I share what I had done with such knowledge.

As Rolen stepped in front of me, I became aware of the sound of riders approaching. I was careful to keep my gaze down and my identity hidden. In my current state I would not be easy to recognize but then again one does not easily forget the face of the future queen, especially one such as T'dal. I knew his name only by the gossip the servants shared and the few occasions I heard them speak in passing. He had quite the name for himself among those that cared and tended the castle, a quick tongue and appetite for those of a female nature.

I found myself battling against the desire to remain hidden and the satisfaction of surprise if I were to reveal myself. Yet in a world that had not yet spoken its truth, I found myself complacent in the role I must take.

As Rolen gave his instructions, I was reminded once more of who we really were. I was not the lost figure fleeing from destruction, I was princess to the crown. Just as he was commander to that same crown, the weapon of the kingdom, duty bound to the king.

As he turned to meet my eye, I got a glimpse of something within his. He too realizing who it was we really were now in this place, no longer could we drop pretenses and live as another.

"I do not think we are dead," I peered around his shoulder, "It must be magic but I do not know to what extent."

I reached for his hand absentmindedly before pulling it back, aware of the confines of my title here and now.

"Perhaps this is a chance to change the fate of my...our kingdom," I smiled briefly at the thought before worry came to steal my happiness.

"We must continue with hast, if my father takes notice of my absence, the fall of the kingdom will be the least of our worries."

As we made our way through the gates and into the kingdom, I couldn't help but feel a sense of excitement. How long it had been since I had walked in the streets and among my people.

The sights and smells were almost overwhelming, I found myself almost childlike as we made our ways past the stalls and bustle of people. I stopped briefly to admire a collection of cloaks, handmade and beautiful. I ran my hand along the fabric, the seams that held it together. It was then I got a glimpse of my reflection. A mirror sat purposely on the table before me, a way to admire the aristans creation upon your skin. It was not admiration I felt staring back, it was confusion. A stranger stared back, on that appeared older, hair loose around the shoulders, dirt smeared across my cheek. I placed my finger on the smooth glass. Who am I truly?

Rolen's presence behind me pulled me away from the inner thoughts wracking my brain. I turned, careful not to look at him, afraid my expression would give way to my doubt.

We continued through the crowds until we came to the courtyard. At its center was a stone fountain, circular in shape.

Memories of my brother crept forward, taking me to a time that seemed lost now.

The pair of us hand in hand.

"Should we jump in?" he asked.

"You first!"

He laughed helping me up on its edge, "One of these days you will not be so afraid."

Sadness surrounded me as I knelt before it, placing my hands upon the stone.

You were wrong, I am very much afraid.

Last edited:
It had been a while since I had been at the courtyard during a festival. It was shoulder to shoulder in many areas. Merchants, farmers, Rangers, citizens, artisans, saliors, thieves, guardsmen and sages. The Harvest Festival was one of the biggest the Kingdom had ever put on. Visiting merchants and performers would gather, packed tent and booth at the Merchant Quarter - full of exotic smells, foods and goods connecting to the southern part of the courtyard.

To the east, the Academic Quarter -towering buildings, cobblestone ground, stained glass, levitating orbs of arcane light that paint the buildings a rainbow of color at night. The wise men and women hold both residence, pricey training and business here. Several books line the insides of three libraries here. Apprentices walk the streets to and from lectures.

To the west the Fisherman Quarter - where not enough incense can snuff the smell of fish at bay. Often occupied by several ships at the dock and full of shady underdealings. There are town guards who patrol this area at all times.

To the north, high atop a hill is the Royal Quarter and the palace. Enyana's palace. The shadow of several towers cast just below the northern gate, where fireflies, lizards and luminescent mushrooms reside. Ancient trees rest between the open gate leading to the courtyard. Moss covers the base of this massive stone fortress. Beautiful.

"I had almost forgotten how beautiful your home is." I said, turning to Princess Enyana. Tears ran down her cheeks and died upon her lips. Ash sat beside her, comforting her new friend. She sat near the fountain, morose. "Your Highness? What is it?"

Last edited:
"Enyana, my child, what have you done?" My mothers hand rested upon my cheek as she tilted my gaze to meet hers.

I was not able to answer her in that moment nor any moment since then. I was a child who had stumbled upon darkness, how could I grasp such power. I did not feel the weight of the spell I had spoken, only the weight of what it had caused.

My father wept silently behind her, cradling my brothers body in his arms. Eron was his pride, the rightful heir to the kingdom and in a moment of childish wonder I had snuffed out his light.

My mother reached over my shoulder closing the book that rested behind me, "What ruin you will bring."

They were the last words she spoke to me, falling into a realm of despair shortly after, silence taking hold of her tongue. She had died in that room becoming nothing more than a shell withering away after.

Rolen's words met my ears as I pulled myself from that day and back to the present we now found ourselves in.

"There are memories here, buried and forgotten," I made my way toward him, placing one hand on his chest, "Days that I remember fondly and days that haunt me. I am afraid, afraid for my kingdom, afraid for you and I."

Slowly I withdrew my hand, allowing myself to look upon him at least once more as someone other than the title I held.

We walked in heavy silence, our minds riddled with that task at hand until I felt a weight upon my shoulders, a heavy cloak now draped over my body. I pulled the hood up over my head.

"Thank you," my voice was quiet as we approached the open gates and stepped into the courtyard. I stopped once more turning to look at him, "Rolen I need to tell you-"

"Princess!"

I turned toward the voice. I felt a stab in my gut.

I left you to die.

The young servant bounded to my side, her hair disheveled, her expression one of panic.

"Where have you been? You were not in your chambers when I came to wake you, I was afraid I would have to request an audience with the King to tell-"

I placed my hands on her shoulders, "It is alright, you have found me."

"Yes, but where-" she narrowed her eyes taking notice of my clothing and company I was in.

"I know it was foolish but I had wished to go into the city to see the festivities, I had thought my disguise would leave me unnoticed," I shifted my gaze toward Rolen, "Perhaps for the best that I did not make it far before being discovered."

She did not seem fully convinced but it seemed enough to silence her questions for now.

I faced Rolen pulling my shoulders back, allowing myself to fall into the role that seemed like a stranger now. "Thank you sir for escorting me back," I bowed my head slightly before falling into step with my handmaiden.

"Your Highness. Since we are at the castle, I shall leave you to the care of your handmaid." I nodded to Princess Enyana first and then to the handmaid. The formalities were ingrained in me and being here, now, had roused them. Acknowledging the rapport, I broke formality and let out a small grin - Enyana noticed.

The handmaid led her to the left, toward the quarters above the famous ball room. I made my way straight ahead to a set of large double doors, made of oak and carved by master elven artisans. Placing my hand on them, shook me. My heart was heavy as the familiarity of this place and the conversation that will and did inevitably lead to the fall of this kingdom sat ahead. Trying to shake the feeling and keep my spirits high, I let my hand trace the outlines of the carvings and recalled memories of my mother. She would find fallen trees and would often shape the wood into children's toys. Specifically, I recall her making figure of a warrior and the inspiration that came from said figure, helped shape me. I smiled and entered.

Ahead of me was a long, wide corridor; the floor made of exotic stones, a gift from the dwarves of the Thundering Cliffs. The walls to the left and right were marble and infused with a magic that allowed plants, from any climate, to grow from them. Deep green foliage and bright arrays of violets, blues, and whites stood out the most, among the plethora of flora. The sounds of the fountains that lined these walls, creates an experience of walking through a celestial garden. Admiring what I had lost, I made my way to the end, through the archway that would lead to the throne room, temple, library and meeting rooms - where I am to meet with the King and the Arthion Riders.

The throne room had an array of stained glass, forged by the Queen herself. When the sunlight kissed the glass, it painted a circular ring of color around the tall throne. The throne itself was made of the roots of an ancient tree that still sat planted beneath the stone platform. It was said that whoever sat on the throne had the power to bring life and take it away - this of course was an exaggeration on the responsibilities and role that the ruler of this kingdom held. I watched as the sun went down and the light fade.

"Commander? Are you coming? The King should not be kept waiting." Another familiar voice greeted me, breaking me from my reflections. It was Hammel Tinderfoot, a stout, curly black-haired halfling. He was an Arthion Rider, who was just as quick with his haggling as he was with his sword. Hammel also had a knack for collecting magical artifacts. I recalled a time when some thieves tried to take a gemstone bracelet from him. Hammel slid it off his wrist and started talking about the types of stones they were made from, he asked them to appreciate what they take - they demanded that he hand it over. So, Hammel, being Hammel, pulled a bright amber stone from it, tossed it to them and...fire...so much fire.

"Yes, Hammel. I am coming." I turned the meet the voice that stood in a lit and open doorway and made my way to the destiny that was before me.

Last edited:
I was quick to follow in her footsteps as we made our way through the royal garden to the east of the castle. We did not exchange words, only glances as she checked to ensure I had not slipped away once more.

I had always been partial to this garden, perhaps not the grandest that bloomed on the grounds but peaceful. A large statue stood at its center bearing a likeness of my mother, it commanded the garden much like she had when entering a room.

Ayla stopped suddenly, gently pushing me against the stone wall.

"We must enter through the kitchen your highness, keep your head low."

I did as instructed, watching each step I took carefully, focused only on the floor. Hushed murmurs followed our arrival within the palace walls, yet I dared not look upon the faces that spoke out of fear that I would confirm their words.

"Here we are princess, let me draw you a bath," she said pulling the hood of my cloak off and gathering it in her arms. Our eyes met and I could see the questions she had. I only hoped she would not speak too many.

"Thank you for not alerting my Father of my disappearance," I spoke calmly as I positioned myself in front of my vanity. Once more taking in the stranger I had become.

"If I hadn't caught sight of you in town that is where I was headed," she said as she prepared my bath, "It's not proper to have found you as you were, hardly dressed and in the company of-"

"Ayla please spare me of what it is you wish to say next, I have been found and returned home," my tone gave way to defensiveness, "we will speak no more of this."

She nodded as she helped to peel the dirty garments from my body. Submerging myself within the tub, I was reminded of the luxuries I had once more. The warm water hugged my skin and for a moment the trials I had just endured washed away.

Could something as simple as a gown change the course of fate, was it girlish fantasy to hope. Before me laid a pale blue gown adorned with tiny jewels, it is what I had worn in that other world yet I could not bring myself to put it on.

"Fetch the gold one," I said running my hand across the fabric laid out on my bed, recalling that night. The night I had overheard a conversation, the night I had spoken it to another.

It was quite a task, dressing. Multiple hands moved about me as lace was pulled, fabric adjusted. I looked at myself in the mirror. The layers of the skirt billowed and flowed to the ground, the corset was adorned with gold roses across my bosom. My shoulder left bare with a golden cape flowing from behind me. It was meant to be worn for a different occassion, one more magnificent than tonight yet it was needed.

Needed for courage. Courage to change the course of our lives.

I could hear the voices of my former companions. They had grown impatient, many eager to leave the festivities, to get back in the field. It wasn't because of their need to perform duties, but often as an escape. Most of us grew up in war and some thrived on it as a means of fulfilling some purpose. Being home was a good reminder of why we do what we do and who we were at the core.

The Arthion Riders were formed nearly a century ago. The first of us served the current King Elluin father, and his father before him, King Arthion. In the beginning, we were simply referred to as Megildur to the King or "The King's Sword". This has become an archaic title that would still often be used, against the current King's wishes - he found it too abrasive. It was King Arthion who would later change the name, before his death.

The team had been put together to execute special operations that regular warfare could not accomplish. Investors from the wealthy families within the kingdom would often support endeavors and acquire passage for us with situations that often included more complex infiltration. The King was good about putting his foot down when it came to some outlandish requests of those who believed their wealth entitled them to such a resource; reminding them who’s kingdom they resided in. Those who served as a "Rider" would be tasked with anything from intelligence gathering, artifact acquisition, trade deals, sabotage and assassination. Because of the secrecy of our affairs, it led to a lot of rumors. A sword is often only used for one thing.

After spending a great deal of time in the east, we were now called to speak with King Elluin about matters in the homeland. None of us had known what tasks were before us and now I go in, knowing exactly what will happen. Reliving each moment with a new set of eyes and a greater sense of reserve. Swallowing the knot at the back of my throat, I entered the room.

The room was full if natural artistry, enhanced with magical aesthetics. The artisans and the arcanists took pride in their work. A brass, silver and gold model of what the gnomish Archmagi who had created it, believed to be the central cosmos, floated overhead like a chandelier of orbs and lights. At the center of the room, a large oak grew from the floor like a tree shaped to a masterpiece war table. Fairy lights illuminated the book shelves that lined the walls, each color coordinated to their respective region and subject. At the wall to the north, at the head of the war table, was a fireplace that smelt of sandalwood and sage. Above the mantle hung a portrait of the royal family. All of them. My heart skipped for a moment as I saw Enyana - reminding me of the reality of what was, what had been and what will be. I noticed the face of her brother and mother as well…

"What is going on Commander?" A voice shook me from my contemplations as Hammel spoke.

"I saw him earlier, outside the gates. He was with a baker woman." T'Dal injected himself, snide tone and all. "Oh, and a dog!" He chuckled at his own amusement.

Before the conversation could continue, it was interrupted by the sound of the door to the King's study. As the door opened, each of us stood at attention. The elven King stepped out and made his way to the table. His age had always been difficult to estimate, given the length of time of elvish mortality. Although his hair was black and white, as it took shape into complex braids that ran down his back and shoulders. He wore deep blues and gold garments, a formal robe fit for royalty. Across his neck was a chain of office, made up of rare metals, opal and sapphire. He cleared his throat as his eyes surveyed each of us.

"Riders of Arthion, today is a busy day and I have much to attend to. There is joy to be had in these festivities and I will not soil it with an abundance of what I am about to share. I will make this brief." He removed a scroll from a leather container that hooked to his ring belt. "Although today is a day of celebration, it is also the day that I received news that an enemy of this kingdom has plans to attempt to take the throne. This person claims that they have the true heir in their custody. Normally I would scoff at such claims, but given the nature of this arcanist and their abilities, I have my reservation." His blue eyes looked to the table and he slowly turned to glance at the portrait behind him. "There is a powerful spell caster who has haunted me for quite some time. I blame them for the loss of my son and the loss of my Queen. A serpent!” His voice grew spiteful, even avoiding the use of the name written on the scroll. One who's head and body must be stopped."

He turned to face us, nodding to the scroll that sat on the table. "Upon this scroll are the details you will need. The name and whereabouts of your target is just south of here. Unfortunately, the property also has a great deal of servants and family. They are celebrating the marriage of the mage's cousin. I will leave it up to you, my trusted associates, to deal with this how you see fit. However, I require that the mage and family be taken care of. As difficult as that may be to hear, I want nothing to remain of this lineage."

“Is this information solid, your highness?”
Hammel asked.

“Yes. It was given to me by one of my spies. A trusted friend and farmer near the homestead of where the wedding is to take place.”

"The whole family, your highness?"
I couldn't prevent the words from rolling out if my mouth.

"Do you have a problem with the King's orders, Rolen?" T'Dal said, in his standard accusatory tone. The King's eyes met T'Dal, browed furrowed at his lack of respect.

"Commander Rolen, I fear that nefarious magic is afoot and the family has ties to it. Especially…the son. I trust you and whatever actions you see fit, but the mage and the son must be dealt with." The King's heart was heavy with conviction as he spoke of the boy.

My brow sank in confusion. I could not hide it from my face as the others chimed in.

“We will see that it is finished, your highness.” Hammel spoke for me, noting my loss of words and reservation.

T’Dal picked the scroll up from the table, “We will take care of the family at the Saeldorei Homestead. It looks like the wedding is soon. I am sure Commander Rolen would agree that we will be thorough and see to it that the mouths and eyes of our enemies are shut.”

I looked to him and then toward the throne room. The knot returned.

As a child, the ballroom was my favorite place within the castle walls. Although unchanged throughout the years, it seemed even grander to one so small. Perhaps as time passed it was the memories that took away some of its light, turning it into a place of appearances and dalliances. No longer filled with that same magic.

My Father had once told me it would be within that single room that destiny would find me, it would hold in it the arrangement of companionship, the passage of marriage and celebration of new titles. He never spoke of love only duty, my duty to fulfill my role. It was on that day that I told myself that fantasy and daydreams had no relevance in my life.

Yet my mind still remembers a time when innocence still had claim over my mind. Nights when my brother and I would climb from our beds and hand in hand sneak into the ballroom. It was a magical place, candles lined the walls, the flames never died. I often wondered if they themselves held life or it was by constant tending. Large vines lined the wall and reached across the ceiling, tiny pink flowers lining their form. In the middle of the room hung a large chandelier, it too had been covered with earthly matter, yet the candles within it still burned. As if they had made a truce between flame and foliage.

"One day dear sister, this whole palace will be ours. We hold balls nightly and splendid feasts." My brother exclaimed as he grabbed my hands and twirled me about the dance floor.

"Mother says I wont always live here, that you will become king and I will matched with a suitor." I stuck my tongue out at the thought.

"They can not part us," he stopped spinning, "It will be my first demand as king."

The memory faded as I entered the room. Time seemed to slow as guests turned to take in my arrival, I felt more naked in that moment than I had before wearing just a shift. Bare to the eye, a mere object to look upon. I was quick in my greetings, desperately trying to find a place of silence. A chance to gather my thoughts.

It was then a familiar voice awoke my memory of the past, what it was that caused me to flee the celebration and led me to secrets I divulged. I turned slowly.

"Did you hear me darling, I was speaking of your incredible elegance tonight, the gown leaves little to the imagination."

I felt my hands tense into fists as I met the eye of Prince Aermean. My father held him in a special regard as an alliance with our kingdoms would greatly increase traded goods. I however had a distaste for him and the words he spoke.

Plastering on the best smile I could give, I bowed my head, "As always your compliments render me speechless."

He smiled, "A woman who finds themselves often silent in the presence of a man is an intelligent one."

Even knowing what it was he would say did not ease the discomfort building within me. It did not smolder the heat rising throughout my body.

"Let me not speak too many words then sir, I will bid you a goodnight."

My feet carried me past the conversations of guests as I took my leave. I did not allow myself much thought as I approached. The door once cracked once more. I was a mere shadow as I listened to the conversation before me, not a word was changed yet something was different. Not different, recognized. A voice, Rolen's voice. I would not have known it before as we had never exchanged words but I knew it now.

He was there on that mission, he knew the truth of what had happened there. The outcome that had led my kingdom into ruin. Why was it he did not tell me? What secrets did he carry and did they match my own? Did we both, together bring the fall of the kingdom?

Our eyes met in that moment, as that thought pushed it's way to the front of my mind. Could he see the guilt in my eyes?

I fled from the doorway, my hands holding the bottom of gown as I went, the cape still trailing behind. What a sight it must have been.

Upon reaching the garden I slowed, leaning against the wall as my breaths came quick, head tilted up. The sky above was decorated with stars. How I wished in that moment to be amongst them, far from the choices I had made and have yet to make.

The blue eyes starring back at me from the cracked doorway were the familiar eyes of Princess Enyana. Eyes that I had grown accustomed to being lost in. How long had she been there? Was she there the first time this had happened? Had she overheard what her father had tasked us with? My mind was racked with questions as I saw her meet my gaze and flee.

"What is it?" Hammel asked as he noted my gaze toward the door. He made his way to the archway to take a look for himself, before I stopped him.

"It was nothing. Just a memory...Your Highness, my apologies for seeming a little off today. With the excitement of the festival and the ride here, I have found myself a little disoriented. I assure you that it is momentary and we will complete the task at hand. We will not waste any more of your time, you have a ball to attend to." I smiled and nodded to the King, affirming his trust. I saluted the King, with my fist to my heart and the others followed suit.

"Excellent, Commander Rolen. I trust that there will be no mistakes." The King had walked over, placed his hand on my shoulder, straightened his robes and made his way out of the meeting chamber, toward his study.

T'Dal had a smirk on his face the whole time, as if he knew something that the rest of us did not. "No mistakes." He said as he and the rest of the Riders left the chamber. Hammel was the last to leave.

"Just another mission Rolen. You're good, right?" Hammel's concern was palpable.

"I am good, my friend. I will see you in the morning. Inform the others that we will ride at dawn."

"Very well. See you then...Oh, I noticed that you are out of uniform. Is your armor being worked on?"

"Yes, I need to pick it up from the blacksmith. No worries."
Hammel seemed satisfied with my answer and took his leave. I waited a moment longer to ensure everyone had left, though I was eager to find Enyana.

As I left, I saw a man walking around the throne room. I had seen him before. He was nobility, although, his name left me. "Are you lost?" I asked, approaching from behind.

A slight chuckle pushed his response out, "Far from it. Just admiring the future."

"Oh?"
I asked, raising an eyebrow.

He turned to face me, noting my sword at my side and what little remained of my uniform. "Prince Aermean. You are?"

"Commander Rolen."
I nodded in respect, though I had my suspicions. "I believe the ballroom is in the connected wing." I pointed away from the throne.

"Ah. Well, Commander Rolen, I appear to have lost my wife to be. Have you seen Princess Enyana?"

"Princess Enyana is more than likely getting ready for the ball. I trust that you will find her there, at her convenience."
I took a step forward, reminding him that he had no claim to this Kingdom...not yet. Prince Aermean ran his hand down the back of the throne. "Do not touch the throne." I asserted myself further - this time, growing impatient.

"Forgive me. I meant no disrespect. This is a great Kingdom and I look forward to one day sitting at the side of the Queen to be. With the tragedy of her bother, you are aware that she is next in line to rule and is to be betrothed to me, yes? It will unite our Kingdoms and of course it helps that she is easy on the eyes."

"You may take your leave now, Prince Aermean."
I exerted what authority I had, practically demanding he leave the throne room before my patience grew thinner.

"Of course." His eyes surveyed me and the the hallway behind me, leading to the garden. "However, if and when you see my bride to me, do tell her that I am looking for her." The Prince stepped away from the throne and the halo of light that surrounded it, taking his leave.

I stayed for a moment, ensuring that he had left, before turning to face the garden. It was one of the more beautiful locations in the castle and one that many knew Enyana enjoyed spending her time at. I could hear the sounds of the fountains and smell the life that bloomed here. At it's far end was a balcony that overlooked the courtyard. There she stood. "Princess?" I inquired, though she did not turn to face me upon my approached.

"I listened where I should not have listened." She said as she leaned against the stone barrier that made up the balcony.

"What did you hear?" I stepped closer, noting how beautiful she appeared in the ball gown. It was rare that I saw anyone from the ball, let alone the Princess. Although enamored, I found myself nervous and anticipating what would come next.

"I spoke when I should not have spoken," I turned to meet Rolen's eyes. Pushing myself from the wall, I approached slowly. "I know what it was you were asked to do."

I stopped once we were close enough to hear the others breath, keeping distance only from touch. I longed for him to take me in his arms, offer shelter from the truths slipping from my lips.

"I had shared your task with another, spoke of things I did not understand," my eyes pleaded with his, "I had been naive in my trust, a foolish child."

Once more I turned and walked toward the balconies edge, looking down upon the garden. I heard his footsteps behind me but could not gauge his closeness.

"We have perhaps been gifted with a chance to change fate, yet I stand here now and ask you, what hope does this Kingdom have with me on the throne?" A single tear slid down my cheek as I spoke.

Her words held so much guilt, yet, she was not the one who failed to be "thorough" in the King's assignment. Who had she told? Perhaps this is why we met so much resistance? Is there a spy in the Kingdom? She doubts herself, yet in the brief time in the wilderness, I saw more bravery from her than she gives herself credit for.

"Princess, you've shown more courage than most soldiers I've fought alongside. Do not doubt yourself." I stepped closer, wanting to comfort her, but knowing my place and the situation we found ourselves in, I only spoke. "Perhaps we have been given another chance? Perhaps not. I know very little of what forces are behind this retelling and even less so about the forces that inevitably brought the fall of it. The Mage whom the King spoke of, do you know who it is? Do they have claim to the throne?"

I studied his face for a moment, trying to decipher the meaning behind his gaze. For they too held guilt but for what reason? We both knew the other held secrets, remorse and even shame. The entity had revealed that. Would we be able to meet eachothers eye knowing the truth?

"There is no other that holds claim, after the tragedy of my brother, it belongs only to me."

The words carried with it, a painful memory and an uncertain future. The whole of the kingdom knew of my brothers untimely death, yet the cause was buried beneath lies and rumor. It was my mothers madness that followed that patched the way for such tales. Even know there is speculation surrounding the events.

"There was a mage many years past who had befriended my mother, I was a child then but it was that person who had taught her," I shook my head gently, "I cannot recall his name."

The words left my mouth just as a realization crept forward.

"Rolen, the task my father gave to you, you had gone to stop this," I reached for his hand brushing my fingers against his, "What happened?"

If she is the only one with claim to the throne, why had the King feared a claim?

Her next question was difficult. I could see the faces of those I had once called friend and fought alongside for many years. Disappointment. Death. Her touch brought chills down my back. I allowed my fingers to graze hers and shyly interlock. "Your father. The King sent us to assassinate the mage you speak of. We were asked to kill everyone at the celebration and informed that the primary target was not only the mage, but a son.

Once the order had been carried out, we arrived to the chamber of the child. T'Dal had cleared the house with Hammel and Artel - I was tasked with finding the child's room."
My hands clinched Enyana's as I spoke, trying to hold back the emotions that resurfaced. "Princess, please trust me that I had never been tasked with killing a child before...I never would have and I could not this time..." A tear painted the sincerity of my words, down my face. "As I opened the door to the boy's room, it was like he was waiting for me to arrive. He just stood there in the middle of the room, arms at his side and a frightened look on his face. I could hear screaming coming from downstairs...there was...this amulet." My mind wandered.

"What amulet?" Enyana asked and then we both quickly turned at the abrupt sound of a shattering planting pot. "What was that?" Her hand instinctually pulled away from mine as we turned to face the sound.

"Someone was listening." I whispered and then raised my voice, "Who is there? Announce yourself!"

The sound of someone clearing their throat echoed in the now silent garden. "Ah! You found her, Commander! Thank you so much." The voice of the Prince Aermean followed as he stepped out from behind one of the vine covered trees.

I have heard others speak of heartbreak in my lifetime yet they never mentioned the physical pain it brings. I felt an ache in my chest he spoke, the weight of his words heavy, crushing.

I found my entire being split into two, torn.

How could my Father have asked such a thing, the slaughter of a child when he himself bore such a loss? I could not blame Rolen for the refusal to perform such a task. To carry that blood on his hands. He grieved even now for an action he did not commit, or perhaps it was grief of something more. These are the thoughts of a girl.

How could Rolen, a man in his station have let such sympathy wash away his orders? Allowing such a threat to the Kingdom to live and bring about our destruction. Which one of us had committed greater treason, the one who spoke or the one who did nothing? These are the thoughts of a queen.

My heart was broken. The two sides fighting against one another, trying to heal my being.

I felt his hand tighten around mine and I quickly tried to conceal the internal war that now raged.

"What amulet?" I asked just a sound clattered from behind, "What was that?". I pulled my hand from his, all to aware of what could happen if we were to be seen in this proximity. I stepped back giving distance between us, space that in itself made me feel entirely alone.

It was Prince Aermean's voice that spoke as he emerged like a thief in the shadows, an unwelcome listener. Stealing secrets.

"My darling princess, allow me to escort you back," he stepped forward, "It is entirely improper finding you like this, without chaperone."

I forced a smile, "I thought some fresh air would do me good, I found the air inside somewhat stale and stuffy."

The prince found no amusement in my subtle insult as he reached out forcefully taking my hand in his, "I do believe we should resume our appearances amongst those of your station, it seems your current conversation has made your tongue loose."

Last edited:
"A gentleman offers his hand to a lady, he doesn't force it." My words were just as direct as my posture as I stepped in front of the Prince. "Release the Princess or I will be forced to remove your hand." I could feel my jaw clinch and he could see that she meant more to me than any soldier for the King should have the right to feel.

"Step aside Commander! Your conduct with my bride to be is questionable to say the least, but both your presence and your conversation is inappropriate and out of line, I shall..." He kept talking, but all I could see was the white-knuckled grip he had on Enyana's hand, as she resisted him. My patience had reached a stopping point as his words trailed off and stoping abruptly as my clinched fist connected with his neatly shaven jaw. The crack was audible and I had broken his smug face. Prince Aermean, first born of King Lathorial, heir to the throne of the Eastern kingdom, tongue of a serpent and tester of patience...collapsed to the ground quickly, hand loosening it's grip as Enyana pulled free.

"He isn't dead is he?" I asked the Princess as she looked down at him and nudged his side with her foot. The sounds of snoring followed as the Prince found himself unconscious. I looked at Enyana. "Princess. We cannot be here. When he awakens or one of his entourage comes looking for him, he will tell them of what was overheard and of what happened here." I looked over the balcony. "An older version of myself would suggest tossing him over the balcony, but killing a Prince is not something I wish to weigh on me." I chuckled, surveying for spectators and ensuring no one had witnessed the altercation. I grabbed him from under his arms and began to drag him to the wall. I could feel the Princess looking back at me, she did not seem as amused as I was at my haphazard attempt to lighten what has become a worse situation. "I am not going to throw him over. I am just going to lean him against this wall." The concern on her face was of greater things and the future ahead. I stepped to her side. "We will need to leave here, Enyana. Will you come with me?" I offered my hand as I looked toward the library, knowing there was an escape route behind the trophy case. My eyes turned back to hers.

What happens when one alters the path they walk while never truly straying? Were the choices we had made up to this moment enough to change the course? Minor details were now shifted, conversations created, actions made. The uncertainty of the questions I asked myself would have to remain that way, there was only one question that needed answered. The only one that I could.

I placed my hand in Rolen's, my eyes meeting his as they spoke one singular truth. That one singular gesture held so much. In our hands was now forgiveness, loyalty, hope. It was trust that was gifted, trust in not only him but in what we could accomplish.

We were quick to exit the balcony and entering into the library. A few candles remained lit against the walls, clearly forgotten in haste of the celebrations. Our shadows were cast upon the grand oak shelves, each shelf itself housing hundreds of books. Most covered in dust from neglect.

Rolen approached the trophy case, our hands still intertwined using his free one to search amongst it. What was it he was searching for? The thought was answered by a groan, it shifted before us, taking shape of an entry. Had the timing not been so present, I may have wondered what use it had seen before.

As he took one step forward, I remained, our hands together stopping progression.

"Rolen, if I am to walk now with you, the danger we will face will be greater. Not only will the threat to the Kingdom weigh heavy but its princess will be missing, perhaps even thought to have been kidnapped," my finger grazed over his, "My worry is for you and the consequences."

The only sound to be heard was a low whistle carried on the draft before us, it was quiet in a way that it should not have been. We were not alone in this room.

A shadow emerged, like a ghost in hiding. He donned armor, very much like that of Rolen's.

"Commander, what is it that I bear witness to?" the voice asked.

"My worry is for you and the consequences." Her words reminded me that things have already been set in motion and that we are the catalysts for the future of the Kingdom.

Consequences. All decisions have consequences. Good or bad. I thought to myself. I made a decision when I chose to lose myself in the eyes of the Princess of whom I was forbidden to look upon - let alone show affection to. I made a decision when I swore to protect this kingdom, the one she will one day rule over, as Queen. With our hands still holding onto one another, her grip tightened as the voice of the silhouette that questioned me from the shadows spoke. I responded with silence.

"T'Dal had sent me to keep an eye on you and it appears as though his concerns are justified." I recognized the voice of Rada'sarian, another one of my men - trained by and close to T'Dal.

"Rada'sarian, you know little of this situation. Step aside. I must get the Princess to safety." My other hand sat ready, near by sword, concerned for what he might do.

"You were late for the meeting with the King. You have neglected your armor. You were seen with a woman outside the walls and now I see my own Commander, attempting to kidnap a member of the family we are sworn to protect?" His hand clutched the grip of the sword at his side. "I don't want to do this Rolen, but I will. Step back into the library and away from the Princess."

I moved in front of Enyana, "I beg you, old friend...let us pass. Come with me and I will tell you everything."

Rada'sarian's blade broke it's silence as he drew it from the scabbard. The sound of drawn steel at the forefront of his last words, "You've told me enough!" He lunged forward with his sword, aiming for my stomach. I dodged, moving Enyana as well - his blade pierced the dead space behind us. I shot in close, wrapping my arm around his neck, drawing my forearm tight and squeezing as hard as I could, stepping behind him. He struggled, dropping his sword and clutching at me with both hands. His effort to throw me over his shoulder was thwarted as I kicked the back of his knee with the instep of my boot, bringing him to the ground. I squeezed harder and twisted. The popping sounds of his neck soon followed.

"I did not want it to come to this..." I pulled his body down the passage as Enyana closed the hidden entrance behind us. An unlit and oil drenched torch hung on the stone wall, beside the steps that descended down the tower.

I ignited the torch, holding it with one hand and reaching the other to Enyana. She took it once more as we stepped into the unknown...together.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back