• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic The Rich Live Longer [Detailed - Open]

RealisticFantasy

✯ Raccoon Catcher ✯
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)

Popularity is power.

Imagine a world filled only with the kindest, most interesting people. No more unfriendly interactions with strangers on the street. No more lackluster thanks for your thoughtful, heartfelt gifts. Those that think only of themselves will be no more thanks to the ingenuity of Intuitech!

Launching immediately are Intuitech's new Ocular Implants that allow for full integration of the brand-new Sociability, Tactfulness, Amicability, and Talent Universal Scoring, or STATUS, system. Every individual on the planet will be assigned a STATUS ranking, ranging from 0 to 5. These baseline ratings will be generated from information provided from your social media feed and other past online interactions.

Does your rating seem low? Worry not! Simply get out into the world and be the best person you can be. Watch your STATUS ranking rise as your friends, family, and co-workers give feedback to the STATUS system. That's right! Your STATUS is determined by those around you. Think of it like reviewing businesses or services, but for people.

Those with consistently low STATUS will be referred to our STATUS help program. By partnering with law enforcement and local government, STATUS allows for early interception of potentially dangerous individuals. Individuals that continue to have a STATUS of 2.5 or lower will automatically enlisted in the STATUS assistance program, which allows individuals to meet with specialized STATUS advisers. Those that prove dangerous will be referred to local law enforcement. For individuals who just seem to have trouble with the STATUS system, counseling will be provided and a sure boost in STATUS will follow! It's a win-win for everybody!

Welcome, citizen, to a new and exciting future! And remember, Intuitech is here to bring your better tomorrow, today.

D78350C9C8FD2EF0D458D5BE2D1D7086806E4C25

Time is money.
loader_ai_for_rokid_by_fantasy.gif

Citizen, your time is valuable. How many times have you heard it before? But, oh, what little truth there was to it. What value did your time have? What goods could you exchange it before? Well, no more! Your time is the currency of the future. Exchange a handful of minutes for a cup of coffee, a few hours for a cross-country flight, a couple years for a brand-new swimming pool.

But, your time is limited, I hear you say? You only have so many years to give? While that is true, Intuitech brings you yet another innovation to shatter the confines of reality. No longer are we limited to a handful of decades on this beautiful blue planet. If you can earn the time, you could live hundreds, even thousands, of years! Even better, full integration with the Intuitech system allows the freezing of the aging process. You can be forever youthful and beautiful. Sign up today and earn a bonus decade!

Remember, citizen. Intuitech is here to serve you, the people, and bring you your better tomorrow, today!

I recently watched the episode of Black Mirror with the social media rating scale (Nosedive). I thought it was an interesting concept and wanted to add in another one of my favorite dsytopian ideas: the currency system from the movie In Time.

Basically, our characters would all be outcasts/shunned from society for whatever reason and they hack and dismantle the system. Obviously, the ideas will be more fleshed out as we progress but that's the basic gist. I'm looking for detailed and advanced RPers that would be interested in this. This is not first come, first serve. Feel free to PM or reply with questions, comments, or interest.

Last edited:
Also potentially interested, waiting on confirmation of certain details. What I'm curious about is what sway Intuitech have over this world - it seems to me like they've become a sort of corporate dictatorship governing over culture and society. How did this come to pass? I'm also wondering what this world looks like - is it like the present day, or are we in a kind of dystopian future where things have moved on, technology has developed further and become more widespread, etc? Finally I'm wondering what our characters' main goal is - sure we're outcasts but that doesn't mean we have to go about unravelling the entire system (especially if we can survive off of stealing other people's time).

Thanks!

Some Points on the World
Also potentially interested, waiting on confirmation of certain details. What I'm curious about is what sway Intuitech have over this world - it seems to me like they've become a sort of corporate dictatorship governing over culture and society. How did this come to pass? I'm also wondering what this world looks like - is it like the present day, or are we in a kind of dystopian future where things have moved on, technology has developed further and become more widespread, etc? Finally I'm wondering what our characters' main goal is - sure we're outcasts but that doesn't mean we have to go about unravelling the entire system (especially if we can survive off of stealing other people's time).

Thanks!

I imagine it developed over time like a cultural snowball. At first, it was just cool gadgets that increased the standard of living and then it developed into a societal pressure that everyone needed whatever new tech they rolled out. Eventually, the elite realized the sway they had and decided to cement themselves as the elite which developed into the point we find ourselves at. It’s definitely a more distant future, cyberpunk-ish. As for motivation, that’s really character by character... which adds interesting conflict and character dynamics! What is the best action to take? Why should they help others or help themselves? Do you want to just survive or thrive? Should you overthrow and dismantle the system... for the betterment of everyone or just to place yourselves at the top of the hierarchy? You could always play a reluctant type that's pushed by majority rule. I imagine the characters involved would have a particular distaste for the system due to some event or situation specific to them which would then motivate them to enact change in their world. Sure, they could continue to survive as they are (maybe?) but stagnant characters that are perfectly satisfied with their current situation and have no reason to change it sure aren't interesting to write nor read about. :)

I'm very open-ended on plot points as I like for every writer and every character to contribute to the story in a meaningful way.

Last edited:
As for motivation, that’s really character by character... which adds interesting conflict and character dynamics! What is the best action to take? Why should they help others or help themselves? Do you want to just survive or thrive? Should you overthrow and dismantle the system... for the betterment of everyone or just to place yourselves at the top of the hierarchy?

So in this respect, this is aiming to be fairly freeform/sandbox? I.e. we have our characters, and we can play around according to our desires and have quite a lot of control over what's going on.

Thanks for the clarity on the other points. Given you say this is a cyberpunk world, I'm still wanting to know more information about the lore of the world - what the cities/locations are like, what general technology there is, maybe a bit more fleshing out of this elite-vs split. :)

More on the World
So in this respect, this is aiming to be fairly freeform/sandbox? I.e. we have our characters, and we can play around according to our desires and have quite a lot of control over what's going on.

Thanks for the clarity on the other points. Given you say this is a cyberpunk world, I'm still wanting to know more information about the lore of the world - what the cities/locations are like, what general technology there is, maybe a bit more fleshing out of this elite-vs split. :)
Yeah, sandbox-y stuff is my go-to. I'm big on character interaction over railroading people into a plot. I like to say characters write themselves.

As for lore, I haven't really thought anything out so I'm making this up on the fly. As such, it's definitely open to criticism and/or modification. Let me know what you'd like to see if it's not involved and we can see how to make it work!

I imagine the world is divided into class-based districts. Likely, the next poorest district doesn't know what the richer districts are really like. Sure, they're better but they don't know how better. It adds to a reasoning of complacency. I plan on having my character an ex-elite so maybe she can motivate the others by telling them just how unfair it is?

Looking at inspo pictures, I like the idea of vertical divisions. I think it implies that we couldn't grow out anymore so we had to grow up. Naturally, the elitest of the elite would be at the top (ha! it's a literal representation of a figurative phrase XD) where things are pristine, white and chrome, and actual vegetation and sunlight. They would have the most advanced, up-to-date technology to make their very difficult lives easier. Lot of leisure time so drugs, drinks, gambling, the whole shebang.

The poorest would be on ground level where it's dark and dingy, smog-filled, living day-to-day. It wouldn't be uncommon for people to run out of time and keel over (gotta have population control somehow, hm?). They'd work with the scraps of the upper levels' tech, piecing stuff together if they have to. Inventive people. Likely factory-ish work which produces components for the upper level tech.

Then, there's the Underground which primarily live... underground. Off the grid, minimalist. Even not always welcome among the poorest of the poor because they're branded as criminals. Of course, law enforcement isn't that active in the lower levels so the Underground can get away with mingling there.

There would definitely be clearance gates and levels from one district to the next. The lowest ones aren't heavily guarded, if guarded at all, so they can be hacked, overridden, confused, what have you but mid- to high-level have appropriate enforcement that prevents an individual district-hopping whilly nilly.

Related image
Related image
Related image

Related image

Related image

Related image
Image result for cyberpunk  landscape

Yeah, sandbox-y stuff is my go-to. I'm big on character interaction over railroading people into a plot. I like to say characters write themselves.

As for lore, I haven't really thought anything out so I'm making this up on the fly. As such, it's definitely open to criticism and/or modification. Let me know what you'd like to see if it's not involved and we can see how to make it work!

I imagine the world is divided into class-based districts. Likely, the next poorest district doesn't know what the richer districts are really like. Sure, they're better but they don't know how better. It adds to a reasoning of complacency. I plan on having my character an ex-elite so maybe she can motivate the others by telling them just how unfair it is?

Looking at inspo pictures, I like the idea of vertical divisions. I think it implies that we couldn't grow out anymore so we had to grow up. Naturally, the elitest of the elite would be at the top (ha! it's a literal representation of a figurative phrase XD) where things are pristine, white and chrome, and actual vegetation and sunlight. They would have the most advanced, up-to-date technology to make their very difficult lives easier. Lot of leisure time so drugs, drinks, gambling, the whole shebang.

The poorest would be on ground level where it's dark and dingy, smog-filled, living day-to-day. It wouldn't be uncommon for people to run out of time and keel over (gotta have population control somehow, hm?). They'd work with the scraps of the upper levels' tech, piecing stuff together if they have to. Inventive people. Likely factory-ish work which produces components for the upper level tech.

Then, there's the Underground which primarily live... underground. Off the grid, minimalist. Even not always welcome among the poorest of the poor because they're branded as criminals. Of course, law enforcement isn't that active in the lower levels so the Underground can get away with mingling there.

There would definitely be clearance gates and levels from one district to the next. The lowest ones aren't heavily guarded, if guarded at all, so they can be hacked, overridden, confused, what have you but mid- to high-level have appropriate enforcement that prevents an individual district-hopping whilly nilly.

Related image
Related image
Related image

Related image

Related image

Related image

This all sounds like something I can get behind - I'm picturing a kind of cyberpunk Mistborn.

What I think you (or I guess we) could do at this point is to integrate your opening ideas into it a bit more. For example, the STATUS and time systems could be used as a way of keeping the ground-level impoverished subservient; popularity is determined by the trends of the Elite, and time apportioned as a reward for loyalty to the 'good values' upheld by the governance. As the STATUS system allows for anyone to mark down a potential rival/enemy to get them out of the way, you need something totalitarian ensuring all are kept in check. Meanwhile among the elites it allows for corruption favouring certain trend-setting houses.

Another question: if the poor live in such squalor, how come they can be assessed for STATUS dependent on social media? Do even these smog-dwellers have access to futuristic mobile devices and the like?

STATUS and Time
This all sounds like something I can get behind - I'm picturing a kind of cyberpunk Mistborn.

What I think you (or I guess we) could do at this point is to integrate your opening ideas into it a bit more. For example, the STATUS and time systems could be used as a way of keeping the ground-level impoverished subservient; popularity is determined by the trends of the Elite, and time apportioned as a reward for loyalty to the 'good values' upheld by the governance. As the STATUS system allows for anyone to mark down a potential rival/enemy to get them out of the way, you need something totalitarian ensuring all are kept in check. Meanwhile among the elites it allows for corruption favouring certain trend-setting houses.

Another question: if the poor live in such squalor, how come they can be assessed for STATUS dependent on social media? Do even these smog-dwellers have access to futuristic mobile devices and the like?
I'm not familiar with Mistborn but if it works for your reference!

I was thinking something along those lines. Do consider, though, that one individual mark down someone's STATUS doesn't tank them into oblivion as it's an average of all ratings and a rating is roughly equivalent to an encounter with another person (not every person will rate every other person for every interaction but most will because that's how the world works). So no matter if you're a 5.00 or a 2.75, you can't just rid yourself of your annoying next door neighbor. Also, others will know that you rated them and how you rated them. As a social elite, running around and tanking ratings for no reason would subsequently tank your own. Now, hosting a very nice dinner party, inviting your enemy, and egging them on all night in secret so they have a public meltdown and everyone drops their rating for ruining the atmosphere would be wholly appropriate.

Also, higher STATUS also allows for access to better tech, living areas, etc, etc, likely the benchmark for accessing higher levels (and not being on a manifesto of felons, for our plucky heroes). And there is also consideration for what is culturally appropriate in each district. Scavenging for parts in the low levels likely wouldn't knock your STATUS but doing that in the high levels would drop you from a perfect average to desolate in seconds. What exactly influences your STATUS and in what way varies by district.

Also, consideration of relative difference in STATUS is important. In the high levels the difference between a 4.9 and a 4.8 could be massive whereas the difference between a 2.9 and a 2.8 would be minimal in the low levels. It's meant to be more complex than just popular, important figure = high rating.

STATUS is social currency, access to resources. Time is monetary, exchanged for goods and services.

Every person on the grid is connected to Intuitech's overarching Network. Access to the Network is fundamental for the society to function - think a combination of internet and banking services. There's no such thing as cash so the only way to purchase things is with time (or maybe bartering if you can work out a deal), which exists in a sort of virtual domain on the Network. Even the Underground has to be on the Network to some extent, though they exist in their own dark web-ish domain.

...I'm thinking I should make a lore thread XD

Heya! In the process of making a character =) Question though: what information should be included? I'm fine with free-forming it, but is there anything in particular I should write-up?

Oh and SkyGinge SkyGinge I approve of your Mistborn analogy xD

Heya! In the process of making a character =) Question though: what information should be included? I'm fine with free-forming it, but is there anything in particular I should write-up?

• Image or description of appearance (I preference realistic art or real people but whatever you think best represents your character)
  • Name
  • Brief Background (Why are they where they are?)
  • STATUS and Time
I think that should cover the basics. Anything you’d like to add is welcome as well! I love reading and understanding characters.

I’d also like to add that your character doesn’t have to be an Underground hacker hermit. If you want to play a jaded Intuitech employee with a 5.00 STATUS rating, I’m down for it; You just have to explain their motivation and consider how exactly they’re going to ally with the other folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back