The responsibility of GMing

Status
Not open for further replies.
RP groups are like finding a good DnD group. Few last for the long haul. I often find it more important to create lasting friendships as I go along. Finding good people can often mean you all coming together to support eachothers groups.

Life changes in a blink of an eye for many people. And different life events have different impacts on individuals.

The same people who taught me to play DnD and savage world are also now the Godparents to my daughter.

A friend I made over 15 years ago on IMVU has done countless RPs with me over the years and every single one has "failed" because life came up. I was off this site for years chasing a career that I was never going to win at.

You want to know who is busy? I am busy. I RV fulltime, which means moving all the time. I homeschool my special needs kid. I run my own IT business. Not an MLM, I mean a real we do everything business with my partner.

Balls are in the air. Always a juggling act. I am a GM and player because I love this hobby. It's an outlet for my stress and fears to be put into something productive. I enjoy the friends I have made.

I am not going to demand anything. Stuff comes up. Be wise with your time and respectful of others time.

Fun fact: Game devs are paid to make games fun for players. Sure some indie developers maybe just want to develop a game for free for people to enjoy, but even those are doing so because they want to create the game or they want the fame or the praise, or some similar motivation. But I don't think one can reasonably told that someone who is paid to make a game fun has an obligation to continue doing so if their pay is suddenly cut. Someone who's developing a free game for the fame or praise doesn't have any obligation to whatever few fans they have if the game is really obscure or if 99% of the feedback is from trolls trying to put them down.

It's not that GMs shouldn't focus on trying to make the games fun and engaging for their players, but if this comes at the expense of their own goals in doing so it becomes a pointless exercise that will inevitably become a mess for everyone involved. What does it matter if people are writing in your world, reading your lore, investing in your creation... If you yourself are not enjoying the fact they are doing that? If anything at that point it can become intrusive, someone writing themselves into your work despite this bringing you nothing.

Of the many reasons to RP, none of them is "to make the world a better place", "for charity", "to bring a positive contribution to society/the world" or any similarly selfess reasons. People have personal reasons to RP. People have personal reasons to GM. That much isn't the "should" or "shouldn't" things be a certain way, but the practical reality of why we do these things. Of course, one might say "even if our motives in practice are different from a selfless motivation, we should take a selfless approach", but this shouldn't just be assumed. The reason why things ought to be different from what they are, and more importantly in what way, is something which must be justified.

My point isn't the GMs should prioritize themselves over the group, but that the group doesn't get priority over them either. The idea of reciprocity doesn't apply where one side's contributions aren't actually helpful to the other side. If some high-nose artist came around and made a sculpture of himself in the middle of the street thinking it was a great contribution to it, no one else is obligated to do anything for him just because he had good intentions and genuinely put in the effort. But if the artist doesn't care about the town, but the town would actually thinking a sculpture from that artists would really help them, then even in serving their own interests they would work together, likely in such scenario by one sculpting and the others paying. If the people didn't pay or if the artist didn't sculpt, then the only obligations would be to the work done that far, and that all parties had initially set in place ways to attempt to ensure they would hold their end of the deal.

I never said you did. But it was the most suited word for highlighting my objection. The obligation exists because of the benefit to the GM not in its absence. In your words a GM should give their players "a good time" in the interest of themselves having "a good time". Neither is there for the other's sake.
1. Yes, but then again, video games aren't collaboratively made with the players. RPs are. We can quibble the analogy but the point stands. The GM is responsible for making fun scenes, fun plots, fun characters and a positive environment, all to make things enjoyable for members. The players are there to populate the GMs world. Without one there can't be the other. The GM must prioritize the enjoyment of members, otherwise the RP will die.

2. That's a you problem. You have creative control over the RP. Make it fun for yourself AND the members, but the members come first. Running a RP is about compromise. If you can't come to a middle ground then there's a problem on one end, but the primary concern is making things fun for members. I'll voluntarily write scenes that I know will suck for others.

Here's a scenario. John isn't popular among the members. His characters are bland and he's not particularly liked OOC, however he's never done anything that deserves a ban. I'll choose to write with John even if if isn't fun, because my enjoyment is secondary. If everyone else is happy my job is done. It's not my job to have fun with every scene. It's my job to make the RP fun for everyone else. I can always have fun by making NPCs in cool scenes, write villains or surprise members with plot twists. I can jump on the occasional grenade and write a bad scene to preserve the overall experience.

3. You can choose to run a RP selfishly, but that will be reflected in repeat failures. If you aren't willing to GM selflessly and make compromises, write boring scenes, dedicate a large portion of time, and remain dedicated even if you don't feel motivated, then you won't have long term success. These things are necessary to have a successful long term RP. I've never seen an RP where that wasn't the case.

4. How does the GM equal the players, when there are far more players than GMs? I'm running a RP with about a dozen people. How can my enjoyment trump the enjoyment of a dozen people? Being a GM doesn't put you on a pedestal. I'm no more important than anyone else, just because I decided to make an RP. Everyone on the ship is as important as the captain.

If you equate yourself, as an individual person, with a dozen people, why should anyone follow you? That seems rather egotistical, and people will quickly catch on.

5. I try to give people a good time in exchange for their presence in my world, not for my own enjoyment. They've dedicated time and effort to my project, so I owe them just for their presence. My enjoyment comes after that, as the debt is always in their favor.

That said, this is theory crafting. You are entitled to disagree and I have no ill will because of it. What more can we do but agree to disagree?

Risotto Risotto

It is a second job, and if you're not prepared for that, you're not prepared to run a long standing group RP. Your initial spark will eventually subside, leaving only your personal discipline. You will have to write for many, many NPCs in a group, sometimes 5-6 at once, along with your characters. You need to be active OOC and answer questions in a timely manner, and make compromises despite your initial idea.

Also I wish it was that simple to continue an RP. I've never seen it happen or heard of it happening. It seemingly kills them all. Perhaps there are rare occasions, but it usually leaves everyone holding their hat, aimlessly standing around, before the project crashes and burns. The alternative is rare to the extreme. I've dealt with this numerous times and it's never worked, ever. If anyone has opposing anecdotes then by all means, educate me, however it just doesn't play out that way.

I find the first post of this thread to be very ironic considering I feel it’s the players who bail out more often then not on the GM. Lol

That doesn’t invalidate the original post at all though. Just saying what I see most of the time.

Fun fact: Game devs are paid to make games fun for players. Sure some indie developers maybe just want to develop a game for free for people to enjoy, but even those are doing so because they want to create the game or they want the fame or the praise, or some similar motivation. But I don't think one can reasonably told that someone who is paid to make a game fun has an obligation to continue doing so if their pay is suddenly cut. Someone who's developing a free game for the fame or praise doesn't have any obligation to whatever few fans they have if the game is really obscure or if 99% of the feedback is from trolls trying to put them down.

It's not that GMs shouldn't focus on trying to make the games fun and engaging for their players, but if this comes at the expense of their own goals in doing so it becomes a pointless exercise that will inevitably become a mess for everyone involved. What does it matter if people are writing in your world, reading your lore, investing in your creation... If you yourself are not enjoying the fact they are doing that? If anything at that point it can become intrusive, someone writing themselves into your work despite this bringing you nothing.

Of the many reasons to RP, none of them is "to make the world a better place", "for charity", "to bring a positive contribution to society/the world" or any similarly selfess reasons. People have personal reasons to RP. People have personal reasons to GM. That much isn't the "should" or "shouldn't" things be a certain way, but the practical reality of why we do these things. Of course, one might say "even if our motives in practice are different from a selfless motivation, we should take a selfless approach", but this shouldn't just be assumed. The reason why things ought to be different from what they are, and more importantly in what way, is something which must be justified.

My point isn't the GMs should prioritize themselves over the group, but that the group doesn't get priority over them either. The idea of reciprocity doesn't apply where one side's contributions aren't actually helpful to the other side. If some high-nose artist came around and made a sculpture of himself in the middle of the street thinking it was a great contribution to it, no one else is obligated to do anything for him just because he had good intentions and genuinely put in the effort. But if the artist doesn't care about the town, but the town would actually thinking a sculpture from that artists would really help them, then even in serving their own interests they would work together, likely in such scenario by one sculpting and the others paying. If the people didn't pay or if the artist didn't sculpt, then the only obligations would be to the work done that far, and that all parties had initially set in place ways to attempt to ensure they would hold their end of the deal.

I never said you did. But it was the most suited word for highlighting my objection. The obligation exists because of the benefit to the GM not in its absence. In your words a GM should give their players "a good time" in the interest of themselves having "a good time". Neither is there for the other's sake.
woah o.o I should of just quoted this. It's like you are inside my brain

1. Yes, but then again, video games aren't collaboratively made with the players. RPs are. We can quibble the analogy but the point stands. The GM is responsible for making fun scenes, fun plots, fun characters and a positive environment, all to make things enjoyable for members. The players are there to populate the GMs world. Without one there can't be the other. The GM must prioritize the enjoyment of members, otherwise the RP will die.

Other than the "positive environment" part (in which I disagree with it being the GM's responsibility mainly seeing as it is so dependent on player behavior) an the last sentence I am in full agreement. I don't think the GM should prioritize the enjoyment of members but that the GM should definitely consider it as one one of the main things to take into account. I realize it may sound as though I am splitting hairs when I say that, but I reiterate my previous point that while the member's enjoyment is of paramount importance it does not supersede the GM's own ability to enjoy themselves (or get whatever other benefit they mainly seek).

We are in agreement on the fun of others being part of the GM's responsibility to ensure, what we disagree on is mainly to what extent there is an obligation - specifically if that obligation goes beyond the person's own ability to have anything out of it, or whether that latter matter takes precedence. In that sense I don't think your point stands, because even in the allegory you brought up no matter how you slice it the people responsible for other's fun are indeed getting something out of it themselves and wouldn't be willing nor expected to continue performing the task that brings fun to others without those gains.

That's a you problem. You have creative control over the RP. Make it fun for yourself AND the members, but the members come first. Running a RP is about compromise. If you can't come to a middle ground then there's a problem on one end, but the primary concern is making things fun for members. I'll voluntarily write scenes that I know will suck for others.

I am suggesting a middle ground. Unless I entirely misunderstood what you have been saying thus far (and do correct me if I have) it rather appears to me that you're the one that is almost if not actually saying the relationship ought to be mainly one sided: That it is the GM who, first and foremost, has to make things fun for the players even if at the expense of their own enjoyment, effort and time. That if they fail to enjoy the things they are making they are to blame whether through self-infliction or a lack of skill. Yes, you acknowledge the players must put in some effort, namely in consistent posting, but otherwise the implication thus far seems to be that the player's mere presence is on itself the contribution by which the GM incurs in this self-sacrificial obligation.

A compromise involves all sides ceding some ground, and gaining some ground. Yeah the GM will have to do things that take effort, that will not be fun. But in turn they will get to keep some things which are fun to themselves, which hopefully the group will also find fun, but at times they might not. In the end all sides are contributing effort and time into the RP, and while yes the GM proposed the idea initially and thus bears responsibility for lion's share of the organizing, the players agreed to said idea and agreeing to participate in something does not entitle you to it to be perfectly tailored to you in spite of how the organizer would prefer it to be.

In fact, the matter of making a compromise is exactly why beyond the simple fact of people acting in their own interest, why should think of their own interest first. After all, cooperation is in your interest, not for the cooperation itself but as a means to get to what you want. That is the reason why one would engage in RP over solo writing. Because we need the other for own goals, and as such we give something to others and/or try to think of ways in which others would enjoy what we want them to do, so that they may do those things. However, in turn knowing our own interests is important towards keeping an eye on what we are or not willing to give, on what our breaking point is and more generally how we might skew things without really thinking about it.

Here's a scenario. John isn't popular among the members. His characters are bland and he's not particularly liked OOC, however he's never done anything that deserves a ban. I'll choose to write with John even if if isn't fun, because my enjoyment is secondary. If everyone else is happy my job is done. It's not my job to have fun with every scene. It's my job to make the RP fun for everyone else. I can always have fun by making NPCs in cool scenes, write villains or surprise members with plot twists. I can jump on the occasional grenade and write a bad scene to preserve the overall experience.

You might notice that I didn't actually disagree with that. That the whole time I didn't say you should never try to give the players what they want. Because thus far I have seldom talked about individual decisions outside of the one to quit the RP. Priorities in general, your overall priorities, are different from your ability to have a consideration for other's needs.

3. You can choose to run a RP selfishly, but that will be reflected in repeat failures. If you aren't willing to GM selflessly and make compromises, write boring scenes, dedicate a large portion of time, and remain dedicated even if you don't feel motivated, then you won't have long term success. These things are necessary to have a successful long term RP. I've never seen an RP where that wasn't the case.

Yeah, based on the examples you've listed, I don't think the way you're using the word 'selflessly' would truly apply in the context of our discussion, for the reason above: That you're treating individuals decisions for the sake of other's interests as though they were representative of the overall goal, when in fact none of them indicates it. The difference between a GM who makes compromises, writes boring scenes (that their players want) and dedicates their time and effort even if they don't feel motivated is not about selflessness or self-interest, it's about experience and people-savviness.

Imagining there is such a thing as a truly selfless GM (which I don't think there is and I doubt I could be convinced otherwise), and this particular one lacks the experience or people-savviness in question, such a person wouldn't be making compromises, they would be completely running themselves ragged trying to appeal to everyone all the time without consideration for how this might affect the rest of the players or the overall RP. They would write boring scenes for others but they would do it poorly and fail to interpret, thus still not delivering what the other person wants. Yes they would dedicate their time even without motivation, but they would likely do so erratically as they jumped from topic to topic from the players instead of focusing deep on anything, and they would simply exhaust themselves because they wouldn't be thinking of their own interest, they would be killing their enjoyment and motivation, and ultimately that can kill the quality of your work along with it.

Is this a bit of an exaggeration? Perhaps it is, perhaps it is not. I wouldn't know. However, core of it is simply that selfless neither has a monopoly on the behaviors you claim are required for the RP's long term health, nor does it translate those behaviors into the point of doing them at all.

On the other hand, even a completely selfish person if they had the experience and people savviness mentioned, would consider the things I brought up before: That for a cooperative activity or goals that require others you do need to appeal to those others, that you need to put something on the table for them to also want to do what you want them to do.

4. How does the GM equal the players, when there are far more players than GMs? I'm running a RP with about a dozen people. How can my enjoyment trump the enjoyment of a dozen people? Being a GM doesn't put you on a pedestal. I'm no more important than anyone else, just because I decided to make an RP. Everyone on the ship is as important as the captain.

If you equate yourself, as an individual person, with a dozen people, why should anyone follow you? That seems rather egotistical, and people will quickly catch on.

I am not saying the GM is equating themselves to the players, but they are not just a number either. They created the RP for some reason. If the project fails in that objective, there is no point to them being there.

As for the GM's importance, the GM is expected to take a far greater share of responsibilities, a greater burden in participation, as well as likely setting development, player management, rule setting and enforcement, helping to keep OOC activity afloat, etc.... Furthermore, I seem to recall you saying several times that we couldn't just replace the GM because you've seen the RP die despite attempts to do so. I don't know about you, but that makes the GM seem pretty vital to the whole project to me. The GM isn't more important or better as a person, but surely they aren't any less either, and all of those responsibilities, the fact they are so important to the RP itself and the simple fact they took the initiative and were willing to take the position when others weren't, are things which surely entitle them to at least include the things they truly want to in the RP.

As for why I anyone would follow someone with the view of their own self-interest first... well, that's because said person might recognize others do too. That I won't get what I want unless I am able to give them what they want as well. This isn't selflessness, but indeed an appeal to the exact opposite. Cooperation by understanding each other's vital important to what we want to achieve, be it fun, to build a great story, or even just to share our worlds, characters, lore, etc..

5. I try to give people a good time in exchange for their presence in my world, not for my own enjoyment. They've dedicated time and effort to my project, so I owe them just for their presence. My enjoyment comes after that, as the debt is always in their favor.

I would argue that their presence in your world is your enjoyment then. Or if you'd rather we could say it's not your enjoyment but it's still something you're getting out of it. Something you yourself value that players are giving to you.

However, it feels as though you're assuming that because you might consider the mere "presence in your world" enough, that others might not. That to others that might not by itself be valuable, or not valuable enough to take on the burden of GMing at least.

That said, this is theory crafting. You are entitled to disagree and I have no ill will because of it. What more can we do but agree to disagree?

No ill will here either. I disagree with you on some respects, but I do agree on many of your points. I do find value in discussions like these for each party to potentially refine their own views, or for others to read to see each side of the argument.

That being said of course, if you'd rather I stop, I will acquiesce. I had my points to make, I believe I've made them, and while I will likely continue responding to any objections (even if that response that might be a "oh you've convinced me then") I don't mean to bother you.

And, naturally, no ill will here either.

Idea Idea

1. Pretty simple dichotomy. When given a choice between—

Make the group happy at your expense

Or

Make yourself happy at the group's expense

You should always choose the former. There's no world where GMs should view RPs as their personal fun factory. That's simply not what it is, and the majority of bad GMs have that opinion. That's how you get controlling GMs, ones with strict ideas who won't compromise. That's how you get lazily written NPCs and lazy scenes outside their own bubble, along with unfair rules, where the GM has characters with special abilities others can't have.

2. I don't know how you can say the GM isn't responsible for fun scenes, plot, NPCs and world building. That's like saying the manager of Disneyland isn't responsible for making a fun environment.

Can the players squander that? Sure, but you should put them in prime position to succeed. It is absolutely your responsibility to make an engaging, fun story for example. Or should we pretend a good GM will make a boring, bland plot devoid of interesting, fun points to entertain the players? You make promises in your interest checks, ones of grand adventures, tense action scenes, riveting mysteries etc. How can you turn around and provide them boring trash, and then say "Well that's not my job."

What kind of mentality is that?

3. Yes its your fault if you make a boring story, boring characters, boring twists etc. You should read the room and create content befitting your target audience, otherwise you picked the wrong people, made unclear interest checks, misrepresented your RP, or simply lack the skill to fulfill your promises. If your players are all equally incompetent then sure, not your fault, there is some give and take, but your job is creating fun scenarios and characters.

Pace is important too. It's your job to recognize when player interest wanes on long running scenes, or to rush bad scenes that everyone hates.

These are all responsibilities of the GM. If you don't view these as responsibilities, then why are you running a RP?

4. No it definitely applies. Putting others before yourself is selfless. End of. Not interested in semantic arguments.

5. I've said numerous times that a GM needs dedication and discipline. Not motivation and fun. Those are short term, instant gratifications that diminish over time. You will never succeed at anything, ever, if fun & motivation is your primary goal. I'm proficient at many things, and I didn't become successful because I had fun and was motivated. It was through dedication and discipline. That's common knowledge in the world of sports & fitness, two groups I'm part of and well acquainted with.

Fun and motivation = New Years people at the gym.

Dedication and discipline = the ten year veteran lifter.

If you plan on running a RP for years, which is required to finish one, you cannot think about fun. There will be many periods where you have zero fun at all. That's how it works after writing the same content for years. Just look at any published author. Most have absolutely no fun writing. They complete projects with dedication and discipline.

6. You said that GMs and their players are equal, word for word bar for bar. Your meaning was either poorly worded, or you're backstepping. GMs cannot possibly be more important than an entire group of people. It's one person weighed against many.

7. GMs are irreplaceable because of plot vision, writing style and because nobody else signed up to lead a group. You rarely receive passionate leadership after GMs leave, because the new leader never had that expectation. Now you've thrust a second job on their heads, which is bound to fail. That doesn't speak to a difference in value, merely a difference in expectations and role.

8. For me personally, I find satisfaction in completing collaborative stories. I'm not writing the RP for my immediate enjoyment, not that I can't receive that, but my primary concern is advancing the plot. Let's say my interest is delayed gratification & enjoyment, while players are more interested in immediate gratification.

9. I will agree to disagree after this post, simply because these replies are monstrous. Not a fan of huge debate posts where points get lost in the shuffle. Feels like I'm reading books. I much prefer quick back and forths on Twitter or Discord, where each point can be addressed in turn. This has become an expanding tree of topics that I'd rather not tangle myself in, so yeah, done here. Hope you found value in it.

Last edited:
everyday i clock in and work at the rp factory as a gm. its not much but it's honest work. 😔

NPC responses. Let's get a mod lock before it devolves any further. I'd rather not get another warning for replying to the dregs.

To all people who've replied with well thought out, intellectual posts that provide actual insight, my respect for you has vastly increases.

Especially you Idea Idea

We seemingly disagree about everything, but you're always up for a good debate. Tippable.

To the rest of you acting strangely, ask yourself, why is a post about personal responsibility so triggering?

NPC responses. Let's get a mod lock before it devolves any further. I'd rather not get another warning for replying to the dregs.
Wait, wait, wait!

Let me just say before this gets locked:

If you’re sacrificing your own life for someone’s hobby, reevaluate your priorities! you’re acting like the npc if anything.

moral of the story: GMs deserve to choose their own happiness and well-being over someone’s leisurely activity.

Wait, wait, wait!

Let me just say before this gets locked:

If you’re sacrificing your own life for someone’s hobby, reevaluate your priorities! you’re acting like the npc if anything.

moral of the story: GMs deserve to choose their own happiness and well-being over someone’s leisurely activity.
Imagine viewing hours of hard work as a mere leisure activity.

Yikes.

These aren't GTA online RPs, discord crack RPs or Minecraft servers. These are collab projects demanding hours upon hours of hard work and dedication.

I've kicked a hornets nest and struck a nerve. Responsibility and respecting hard work must be taboo around here.

Yikes.

These aren't GTA online RPs, discord crack RPs or Minecraft servers. These are collab projects demanding hours upon hours of hard work and dedication.

I've kicked a hornets nest and struck a nerve. Responsibility and respecting hard work must be taboo around here.
If you see RP as a responsibility that takes precedence over your own health, and more so as a job of sorts, more than a hobby, maybe you should pursue creative writing instead.

Responsibility and respecting hard work must be taboo around here.
I take responsibility for my work, I respect the hard work my fellow RPers put in, and I still have fun with this as a leisure activity! I'm not sure how disagreeing with your point means that we're all irresponsible slackers or whatever you think but I will certainly continue to have fun with my lovely hobby :) I hope you can find some roleplayers that you can have fun with as well

If you see RP as a responsibility that takes precedence over your own health, and more so as a job of sorts, more than a hobby, maybe you should pursue creative writing instead.
Over health? When did I say "Thou must post despite cancer and heart disease?"

Come correct if you'd like to be critical.

I was talking about the reality of running a long standing, large group RP. The reality is it demands a high degree of dedication, approaching that of a part time job. That's why people get burned out. It's funny how this opinion is popular in other threads, but because my take here is unpopular, suddenly it's just a casual, relaxing hobby.

If group GMing is so casual and care free, why does it have such an emotional toll on people? Why do people stop GMing so often? The answers are self apparent.

So if you're going to be a GM, be mentally prepared for the task you're undertaking. Take that lesson from my post if nothing else.

Yikes.

hath thou considered the chance that not everybody engages with the activity for the same reason as you?

not every artist is a professional, even if they spend tens of hours on each piece, that's why the term hobbyist exists.

not every roleplayer is looking for 'collab projects demanding hours upon hours of hard work and dedication'. i'd venture to say most aren't. for almost every roleplayer i've met, it's a fun hobby used as a creative outlet.

I take responsibility for my work, I respect the hard work my fellow RPers put in, and I still have fun with this as a leisure activity! I'm not sure how disagreeing with your point means that we're all irresponsible slackers or whatever you think but I will certainly continue to have fun with my lovely hobby :) I hope you can find some roleplayers that you can have fun with as well
Never called anyone any names. Quote me.

Point is, its messed up to ghost as a GM, when people have dumped hundreds of hours into your project, based on your promise to run the RP.

How exactly is this unpopular?

This forum shits on ghosters 24/7, but God forbid you mention GMs ghosting, and the way it annihilates the hard work of perhaps 10, 15 or 20 people.

hath thou considered the chance that not everybody engages with the activity for the same reason as you?

not every artist is a professional, even if they spend tens of hours on each piece, that's why the term hobbyist exists.

not every roleplayer is looking for 'collab projects demanding hours upon hours of hard work and dedication'. i'd venture to say most aren't. for almost every roleplayer i've met, it's a fun hobby used as a creative outlet.
Dog. Simply the act of writing posts = hard work and dedication. If someone writes for 2 hours p/w in your RP for 12 months, that's 96 hours of their life. If you suddenly ghost your own project, that's erasing the progress they made in those 96 hours.

If you have a different opinion that's fine, but don't come in here trying to troll, misquote me, imply I'm an ass who thinks physical health < RP, and then return to debating as usual.

something taking hours of work and motivation and being high quality and whatever else doesn't make it less of a hobby/leisure activity.

nah, i've progressed as a creative in those 96 hours. it's annoying for sure, but not morally objectionable to any significant degree.

chill as, tbh.
Things can be morally wrong without deserving prison time or a public execution. No you shouldn't be stoned in the street because you ghosted your own project, but it's nasty business. The captain goes down with the ship.

ravensunset ravensunset

Hand waving it as a hobby devalues what it is. It's a time sink of effort, planning, emotional cache, plot development, socializing and more. A GM quitting destroys all of that.

If you think that's totally fine? Well there's nothing more I can say. However that doesn't change the reality of what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread