• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice The Redux of the Tale of a Falling Empire - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
With regards to the Resources question, I'm mostly asking because I'm wondering whether or not I should make it so that you don't have to take a Merit to represent your stipend, with the assumption that living expenses will be automatically taken care of within Kandara, and Resources instead representing additional income that your characters can spend without incurring their House's wrath.

Yeah, and one of your tags needs to be Melee. And if you want to use them for Earth Dragon Style, you need to keep the Smashing tag.

Nice. Any ideas you have in mind for your spouse?

I'll adjust my weapon accordingly then.

As I said, I'm open for a player character relationship.

My ooc job is to piss off the satrap. So if I can marry her or her sister, she's tied to me for life and I can be a thorn in her side forever. Even well after this game is done.

Seriously though? I don't actually have any ideas. I could come up with some of course! Regarding NPCs.

A marriage is the best way a lost egg can become a dynast. Even if some stigma would remain.

Maybe the scarlet Empress set up the marriage for services rendered.

Maybe the wife only visits him once a year or so for the purpose of producing children.

Maybe he rose to status as a legionary hero then became pampered house husband to a great warrior. After she fell in battle that left him a widower who has to step back up to the plate and fulfill her duty.

Maybe he's a trophy husband for Kitava's mom. Making Kitty his daughter in law despite her being a couple years older.

I'm just making things up as a I go along. Don't really have much familiarty with dynast marriage politics. So I'm plenty open to any ideas.

Hey everyone. Just a quick check, but are any of you taking Resources to represent your Dynastic stipend?
I hadn't given it thought. I think I'm going artifact (maybe twice) and Contacts. Not sure I can fit it in. It'd be cool if we could make it automatic, but I can probably rework if not.

Also, given the ages of some of your characters, have any of you had any thoughts regarding their marriages and children?
I hadn't, but I really like the idea. I'm trying to build Taeran into a cold-hearted killer. I like the idea that it would be something she schedules, shows up for, and then that's the end of it. So, I'd like to include that for sure.

I hadn't given it thought. I think I'm going artifact (maybe twice) and Contacts. Not sure I can fit it in. It'd be cool if we could make it automatic, but I can probably rework if not.

I hadn't, but I really like the idea. I'm trying to build Taeran into a cold-hearted killer. I like the idea that it would be something she schedules, shows up for, and then that's the end of it. So, I'd like to include that for sure.

Does she ever bring her work home and try to kill her husband?

I haven't taken Resources. I think Ferela is a bit off from her family, and would mostly be living on the stipend, if it's given by default. If I have to pay my own way, I'd be going for Resources 1, replacing my Familiar (which, TBH, is mostly there to make up the dots).

I also haven't defined any family. I imagine she might have a low-ranked Dynast back on the Blessed Isle; she doesn't get to see him that much, but writes a fair bit.

Otherwise, and other than weapon evocations, I think she's done...

Imagine killing every spouse you get because you need to test them to make sure that 1) they aren't a liability, and 2) you need to make sure that only the fittest and strongest carry on your bloodline. Breeding is serious business. And a family can't afford to water down their bloodline with inferior genes.

I haven't taken Resources. I think Ferela is a bit off from her family, and would mostly be living on the stipend, if it's given by default. If I have to pay my own way, I'd be going for Resources 1, replacing my Familiar (which, TBH, is mostly there to make up the dots).

I also haven't defined any family. I imagine she might have a low-ranked Dynast back on the Blessed Isle; she doesn't get to see him that much, but writes a fair bit.

Otherwise, and other than weapon evocations, I think she's done...
Is Ferela a low ranked Dynast herself? Or did she get unlucky in who was chosen for her?

So she got pretty lucky then. Was it one of the better sort of relationships? Does he do work similar to her?
I think there's a good deal of respect, even if not any actual love. She does miss him somewhat - her letters are longer than they strictly need to be, and she'd welcome his company. Similar line of work would make sense, yes.

Heya. Is everyone ok here?
Yep. I can write up some new backstory, but other than that I'm basically good to go.

For a more detailed answer on marriage, I'm not against a player spouse. Manato is the type to want to be a family man though. He'd be invested in making the best of the match regardless.

Oh yeah. Good point. If you’d like me to be more detailed about the marriage piece, let me know. I can make up an NPC and such.

I believe so, other than Artifact Evocations for the 7-section staff Magistrate's Law.
I've been turning this over in my head. I'm not intending Ferela to be a complete combat monkey, so having the staff do something not directly related to hitting things would be nice. What Fire Has Wrought has a staff called Calumny, which is... getting there, although it's a little more combatty than I'd like (it gives ways to learn enemies' secrets, which the staff can then use to hinder them in combat). Could we find something that works a bit like that, but maybe more on the Social side?

One thing I'd very much like is a permanent, free, cosmetic effect that the staff can reshape itself to fit in - anywhere from a 7-foot long smooth filigreed staff of office down to a 2.5-foot gnarled wood walking stick (Calumny does have something similar).

If we can't find a sensible way to de-combatise Calumny, maybe would could adapt Calumny itself into Ex:Essence?

I've been turning this over in my head. I'm not intending Ferela to be a complete combat monkey, so having the staff do something not directly related to hitting things would be nice. What Fire Has Wrought has a staff called Calumny, which is... getting there, although it's a little more combatty than I'd like (it gives ways to learn enemies' secrets, which the staff can then use to hinder them in combat). Could we find something that works a bit like that, but maybe more on the Social side?

One thing I'd very much like is a permanent, free, cosmetic effect that the staff can reshape itself to fit in - anywhere from a 7-foot long smooth filigreed staff of office down to a 2.5-foot gnarled wood walking stick (Calumny does have something similar).

If we can't find a sensible way to de-combatise Calumny, maybe would could adapt Calumny itself into Ex:Essence?
You can definitely have the cosmetic effect. As for making the weapon more Social as opposed to Combat-based, my advice would be to look for an existing Artifact with Social-based Evocations, and see if those can be adapted for Essence.

You can definitely have the cosmetic effect. As for making the weapon more Social as opposed to Combat-based, my advice would be to look for an existing Artifact with Social-based Evocations, and see if those can be adapted for Essence.
Cool, I'll add a description including that later.

I'm having trouble finding any suitable social artifacts, even looking back at my 1e books, but I'll have a think and a hunt.

I think I’m good to go, now. I need to write out a few extra combat bits with my weapons and write out my Charm descriptions for ease of use, but other than that, I think I’m ready to play.

Since i am in the market of wife. And I have an adaptable background,

Chowlett Chowlett , WlfSamurai WlfSamurai , Random Word Random Word

Any of you would like a stubborn earth aspect husband who has made a name for himself steadily moving up the ranks by proving courageous and invincible in the face of the Empire's enemies?

Since i am in the market of wife. And I have an adaptable background,

Chowlett Chowlett , WlfSamurai WlfSamurai , Random Word Random Word

Any of you would like a stubborn earth aspect husband who has made a name for himself steadily moving up the ranks by proving courageous and invincible in the face of the Empire's enemies?
I’d be down for being your wife (that felt weird to say)! But, I want to give the other two first option since I already have a good tie into the group/situation being Random Word Random Word ’s sister (that also felt weird to say).

I think it plays best to my concept to not be your wife - Ferela's the (comparatively) old hand that's been there forever. She may be a bit jaded of you young whippersnappers.

Oh, since no-one has taken it, I think her "incompetent cover" story is that she's in charge of the treasury, master of accounts, that sort of thing.

I might have found inspiration for the cursèd staff - the first two evocations in this artifact, but flavoured as the deference due to an official of her position (rather than an accomplished martial artist) - basically, reflexive reroll 1s on Awareness to detect hidden dangers; and then the ability to create a social Tie that causes opponents to lose Power when attacking Ferela and/or suffer a dice penalty when attacking Ferela.

I may need some assistance on balance, costing and Essenceification.

I think Kitava is either unmarried, too lost in her research to participate, and this was one of her great sins forgiven when she summoned probably-Berengiere, or she's married and annoyed about it because she would now believe she deserved a far more prestigious spouse. In practice, if she is unmarried, her being a sorceress, associated with demons, and a political thorn in the side of Mnemon and the Empress would likely make it very difficult for her family to find a match for her.

I think Kitava is either unmarried, too lost in her research to participate, and this was one of her great sins forgiven when she summoned probably-Berengiere, or she's married and annoyed about it because she would now believe she deserved a far more prestigious spouse. In practice, if she is unmarried, her being a sorceress, associated with demons, and a political thorn in the side of Mnemon and the Empress would likely make it very difficult for her family to find a match for her.

Well I'm your man. Let's me annoy Kitava on every possible level. Would definitely feel like she deserves better than him, would be an easy match for her family to settle with. He may not come from a good school, but he has the aspect of house ragara. And you can't make a bodyguard anymore Loyal than forcing him to be a husband. Essentially ties his fate to yours.

I think it plays best to my concept to not be your wife - Ferela's the (comparatively) old hand that's been there forever. She may be a bit jaded of you young whippersnappers.

Oh, since no-one has taken it, I think her "incompetent cover" story is that she's in charge of the treasury, master of accounts, that sort of thing.

I might have found inspiration for the cursèd staff - the first two evocations in this artifact, but flavoured as the deference due to an official of her position (rather than an accomplished martial artist) - basically, reflexive reroll 1s on Awareness to detect hidden dangers; and then the ability to create a social Tie that causes opponents to lose Power when attacking Ferela and/or suffer a dice penalty when attacking Ferela.

I may need some assistance on balance, costing and Essenceification.

Fair enough!

I’d be down for being your wife (that felt weird to say)! But, I want to give the other two first option since I already have a good tie into the group/situation being Random Word Random Word ’s sister (that also felt weird to say).

Woo! I got a decent tie being a body guard. But could be pretty easily ignored. Being tied to you or the Satrap will do the trick nicely for my guy. I want to be able to help along one of yalls character the best I can.

Will happily marry you wlf! You will make anyone a proud husband.

Well I'm your man. Let's me annoy Kitava on every possible level. Would definitely feel like she deserves better than him, would be an easy match for her family to settle with. He may not come from a good school, but he has the aspect of house ragara. And you can't make a bodyguard anymore Loyal than forcing him to be a husband. Essentially ties his fate to yours.

Fair enough!

Woo! I got a decent tie being a body guard. But could be pretty easily ignored. Being tied to you or the Satrap will do the trick nicely for my guy. I want to be able to help along one of yalls character the best I can.

Will happily marry you wlf! You will make anyone a proud husband.
I do!

—wait.

Yeah, what the hell. I do. Sounds great.

Just because I can't leave well enough alone, I'd like to play up the drama a bit on it. I'm leaning toward we found a kind of love in this arrangement that started out of more a business-style transaction, but something happened relatively recently and it's strained right now. Thinking along the lines of something practical happened—like a difference in how a situation was handled or something. Not infidelity or anything.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back