• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice The Redux of the Tale of a Falling Empire - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Well as long as you've got the Merit to spare, I don't see why you can't have it.
I'm sorry, was that ever in question? What self-respecting Ragara doesn't have merits to spare for the Emerald Thurible? 2CD shenanigans incoming. The only question is whether I'll trade my Backing 5 Resources 4 for Backing 5 Artifact 3 Resources 2 or Resources 5 Artifact 3 Backing 2. Resources 2 probably makes more sense. Just have to figure out why I'm the poor Ragara. Probably because I'm young, or have been spending it all on occult research.

If I have the Emerald Thurible either Mnemon never had it in this time line, there was more than one Emerald Thurible-like thing made and we found another one, or it isn't the Emerald Thurible at all, but the Verdigris Thurible or something forged in a pact with a demon like Mara. I'm leaning towards the last option - this isn't an Artifact so much as some kind of infernal blessing. Kitava is totally not an Akuma.

If Ragara really risked war stealing Mnemon's prized treasure they wouldn't hand it out to a young daughter on her first Satrapial assignment. It would be a bit obvious where it was when 2CDs started showing up.

If I have the Emerald Thurible either Mnemon never had it in this time line, there was more than one Emerald Thurible-like thing made and we found another one, or it isn't the Emerald Thurible at all, but the Verdigris Thurible or something forged in a pact with a demon like Mara. I'm leaning towards the last option - this isn't an Artifact so much as some kind of infernal blessing. Kitava is totally not an Akuma.

Either of those options work for me. I'll leave it to you to decide which one to go for.

jaydude jaydude

How about a lost egg, having exalted in employ of a House Ragara dynast? This is a way he can prove himself worthy of adoption or fostering.

Or a grumpy Dynast who really doesn't want to be pulled from what he was doing and thrust into a political environment by babysitting some middle aged satrap? Maybe a "reward" for impressing the Empress or Ragara Matron. That they would choose him to protect darling Kitava. Maybe he did protected someone a lot higher up on some occasion where their guards let something slip through. Yes, failure would mean serious ramifications for his family, via debt or dishonor. But success could be jade for the family.

But sense it wasn't Kitava's decision. She can't really reverse it. They like him. So that trumps what she wants. He has basically free reign so long as he keeps her alive.

And yes. Awareness and close combat were going to be my go to's. As well, anything that helps me protect her, increase my Defense, and defend her. Keeping her alive at all costs.

Random Word Random Word
I'm going to call her Kitty, by the way.

What houses have a good relationship with Ragara?

And what what sort of loyalty or abilities would need to be shown for a bodyguard to be trusted with the life of a Satrap? Namely one that doesn't have to worry about pleasing said Satrap. And would nobility be a requirement?
It could be that he is an officer assigned by the garrison commander to be the overseer of the Satrap's personal guard rather than the territory at large.

If that's the route you want to take, what event would make Manato trust your character with both his own reputation and the life of the Satrap?

If you go with a Dynastic house, would it be events from primary or secondary school?

Additionally, if the character is an outcaste or patrician especially... perhaps a major battle that left a lasting impression?

Ah, quirk of being Dragonblooded sisters. If you're 23, I can be either 3 or 43 (Or 63, 83, etc). A difference of less than 20 years would be scandalous. So I'll be 43 and you're my younger sister just out of secondary school. Clearly the family pulled some strings to get the Empress to make your first assignment my spymistress to get you some experience in the Threshold.
Oh! I can drop her down. I just made her 18. That would be 38, then. Or I could go 14-16.

It could be that he is an officer assigned by the garrison commander to be the overseer of the Satrap's personal guard rather than the territory at large.

If that's the route you want to take, what event would make Manato trust your character with both his own reputation and the life of the Satrap?

If you go with a Dynastic house, would it be events from primary or secondary school?

Additionally, if the character is an outcaste or patrician especially... perhaps a major battle that left a lasting impression?

A few ideas here.

Maybe if that assassination event happened. He was the one that ignored orders after finding out. Putting insurrection and punishment on the line for the sake of the Satraps life.

Or maybe also something similar to Manato. Having served under him before. A partially nasty battle that officers were in state of miscommunication and disarray due to an enemy tactic and betrayal. A simple soldier at the time. He was able to hold the line, doing what was needing to be done regardless of officer confusion and betrayal in the midst that almost spelled certain defeat.

Was a bit of a loose cannon, and not the most obedient. But he was tenacious. Maintaining his loyalty and duty even in the face of death and turmoil. An earth aspect to the core, and one Manato knew he could trust. So he was promoted, and was eventually placed to head the castle guard. After the event of the former idea. Was then made the personal bodyguard, knowing that not even the Satrap herself could bully him out of doing his job. An earth aspect to the core, budging him is like trying to budge a mountain.

We could even add in them going to school together. They are both relatively the same age so could have went through the same place at the same time and got to know each other then.

Does it make sense to have gone to the The Cloister of Wisdom to learn my assassin ways without joining the Immaculate Order?

Maybe Paisaps Stair would be more fitting for a dragon blooded soldier, since I thing Bells is about making officers. Though I suppose it could be he just wasn't officer material.

Does it make sense to have gone to the The Cloister of Wisdom to learn my assassin ways without joining the Immaculate Order?
Under the guise of a potential shikari of the wyld hunt. Someone who might hide in plain sight to find the Anathema in their dens. I could see it.

It does still sound like a bit of a stretch for political espionage to be picked up at the cloister.

Maybe Paisaps Stair would be more fitting for a dragon blooded soldier, since I thing Bells is about making officers. Though I suppose it could be he just wasn't officer material.
Pasiaps stair is usually for two types. Found eggs, and the defiant Dynastic Exalt. Either way, not a bad choice.

I suppose it could work. The Cloister does teach martial arts and discipline as part of its curriculum, but I don't believe it trains assassins and other such folk specifically. From what I've read of the All-Seeing Eye for example, potential recruits are contacted after graduating, and they don't particularly seem to care where said recruit went to school.

Pasiaps stair is usually for two types. Found eggs, and the defiant Dynastic Exalt. Either way, not a bad choice.
Well I think we have definitely established him as defiant. But a found egg also isn't a bad idea. Would give me a bigger hurdle to overcome and something to prove.

jaydude jaydude
Which would you prefer for this sort of gig? Me being a dynast or not?

Oh! I can drop her down. I just made her 18. That would be 38, then. Or I could go 14-16.
Oh no. We need you to have at least graduated secondary school. No younger than 22. I was merely pointing out you had opted to be the younger sister.
Or a grumpy Dynast who really doesn't want to be pulled from what he was doing and thrust into a political environment by babysitting some middle aged satrap?
Uh, I'll have you know Kitava fully intends to live at least 600 years, if not forever. If you call her middle aged at a sprightly 43 when she still looks 22 you will make her blood boil.

Oh no. We need you to have at least graduated secondary school. No younger than 22. I was merely pointing out you had opted to be the younger sister.

Uh, I'll have you know Kitava fully intends to live at least 600 years, if not forever. If you call her middle aged at a sprightly 43 when she still looks 22 you will make her blood boil.
I’ll go with 22, then. Sorry I’m forcing your hand on age. I could be the older one if you prefer.

I suppose it could work. The Cloister does teach martial arts and discipline as part of its curriculum, but I don't believe it trains assassins and other such folk specifically. From what I've read of the All-Seeing Eye for example, potential recruits are contacted after graduating, and they don't particularly seem to care where said recruit went to school.
What would work better? I didn’t see any of the schools that really train spy/assassins. I could go Immaculate Order, but then it might be strange that I’m in the retinue of my sibling Satrap.

Are any better for espionage?

I’ll go with 22, then. Sorry I’m forcing your hand on age. I could be the older one if you prefer.

What would work better? I didn’t see any of the schools that really train spy/assassins. I could go Immaculate Order, but then it might be strange that I’m in the retinue of my sibling Satrap.

Are any better for espionage?
For military espionage House of Bells, for political espionage Spiral Academy. Both can produce a valuable assassin. For house Ragara, I presume the latter is most likely.

For military espionage House of Bells, for political espionage Spiral Academy. Both can produce a valuable assassin. For house Ragara, I presume the latter is most likely.
I see her as more about slipping into and out of places unnoticed, killing a target or stealing something, and slipping out. Or just silently perching somewhere for hours to learn secrets, etc.

And, of course, being able to hold her own in battle if it heats up on an operation.

Does that sound more House of Bells, then?

Yeah I think Batman/Bruce and Ezio Auditore are more candidates for the House of Bells.

Locke Lamora would be a Spiral Academy approach.

...Or if you want to go the problem child route, Kelsier or Vin and their stories align with what I'd expect a Pasiap's Stair experience to be like.

Definitely gonna say that Kitty is over the hill.

Random Word Random Word
Which to you do you think would be more fun? Or more annoying to Kitten. Him being a dynast who should know better? Or him being some insolent found egg not showing her proper respect?

Yeah I think Batman/Bruce and Ezio Auditore are more candidates for the House of Bells.

Locke Lamora would be a Spiral Academy approach.

...Or if you want to go the problem child route, Kelsier or Vin and their stories align with what I'd expect a Pasiap's Stair experience to be like.
I do think more Ezio/Batman. But, maybe she WAS a problem child and was shipped off so aa not to interfere or cause problems for her older silbing…

I could also just play it straight and go House of Bells…

Hmm…

AND CLEARLY I NEED TO READ THE MISTBORN TRILOGY. Been meaning to for years. Both those characters seem awesome.

Last edited:
AND CLEARLY I NEED TO READ THE MISTBORN TRILOGY. Been meaning to for year. Both those characters seem awesome.
I know, I really enjoyed the Final Empire trilogy of Mistborn. However, my favorite character is Wayne from the Alloy of Law series set later in the timeline.

A couple things are worth getting i think.

Righteous Lion Spirit. Upgrades a major Intimacy to make it unbreakable. Not even the most beautiful and glorious Solar speaker can shake RockMan from his duty to protect her.

Captivating Battlefield Display. Anything that targets Kitty. I can make target my earth guy instead. I think will serve very well to keep her safe. I had to give up awareness 4 but I think this will be more handy for a bodyguard.

No, no, you aren't forcing my anything. I asked you to choose older or younger sister, and you did exactly as I asked. Being 42 is not a big deal for a DB. They don't really start to age until they get close to 300, and that's only if they don't have access to anagathics. Most DBs die to the enemies of Creation looking not a day over 25. Hell, Mnemon and the Empress still look 25 and they're 600 and 800, respectively.
Which to you do you think would be more fun? Or more annoying to Kitten. Him being a dynast who should know better? Or him being some insolent found egg not showing her proper respect?
If a Patrician or Lost Egg has the temerity to undermine her authority in public, that's a declaration of war. It's just not done. In private is one thing, in which case a Patrician or Lost Egg is annoying and insulting while a fellow Dynast is maybe potential threat, maybe just a verbal sparring partner.
Either of those options work for me. I'll leave it to you to decide which one to go for.
I'm going to say Kitava graduated from the Spiral Academy and moved on to managing extensive House mining concerns in the South until the mines struck something interesting in the deep and the dark. She became obsessed with the occult mystery she found, falling down the rabbit hole as so many Ragara do, pouring the vast fortunes she had earned astutely managing House business into her research at a rate that unsettled even her family. It was one thing to obsess over arcane power and long forgotten secrets, quite another to bankrupt oneself in their pursuit. All was forgiven when she emerged from her retreat having made some kind of pact with and having summoned a Second Circle Demon (Maybe Mara? I don't usually go in for her sorcerous initiation, but she is incredibly useful. jaydude jaydude do you have a favourite 2CD you would like to see in play? We could also make one up.), a feat only ever equalled in the history of the Realm by Mnemon and the Empress herself.

To say this earned her some attention would be an understatement. Mnemon was livid at this know-nothing upstart who hadn't even seen her first century challenging her House's effective monopoly on the greatest heights of sorcerous power, and made it quietly clear she would like to see Kitava killed. House Ledaal believes House Ragara corrupt at the best of times, and Kitava triply so. Cynis and Sesus would love to have suitably juicy blackmail material to control her, but it's difficult to outdo, 'willingly consorts with powerful demons'. The Empress, concerned about how this might upset the delicate balance of power between the Great Houses, summoned Kitava to discuss this new development and its implications for her future, assigning her a safe but largely unimportant Satrapy as a 'reward' to keep her out of the way while she worked out how best to check House Ragara's growing power.

Hmm... if the Emerald Thurible is only rated at 3 dots and not something in the 5 to N/A range... wouldn't it be feasible for a handful to exist? Perhaps some duplicates similar to Belts of Shadow Walking? They could still be rare and secret and even under heavy legal restrictions in their use as far as Realm law goes. With this being the Threshold though and it being in the hands of the Satrap herself, surely there'd be fewer to quibble at its use if they were even aware of such things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back