• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice The Redux of the Tale of a Falling Empire - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
I assume it’s meant to be more nebulous/narrative and less tactical combat system. At least, that’s how it feels. It works well in other narrativeheavy games, but they’re also intended be more conversational and collaborative than typical Exalted. And nothing in the manuscript seems to support it being like newer narrative games.

But narrative-heavy style can also be a challenge on PbP since there should be a conversation invoked.

What do you mean by narrative conversation being a challenge using PbP?

What do you mean by narrative conversation being a challenge using PbP?
In newer games that are more collaborative, the intent is there to be a table conversation to determine events and mechanics ahead of rolls.

So, instead of everyone having a set turn at a set time, your conversing back and forth to determine position, who has the upper hand, what actions each person will take, etc.

That’s something that happens in five, ten minutes in person. In PbP, it can take much longer. Just something to be aware of and adjust for.

In newer games that are more collaborative, the intent is there to be a table conversation to determine events and mechanics ahead of rolls.

So, instead of everyone having a set turn at a set time, your conversing back and forth to determine position, who has the upper hand, what actions each person will take, etc.

That’s something that happens in five, ten minutes in person. In PbP, it can take much longer. Just something to be aware of and adjust for.
Ah, yes. I definitely see what you mean there. I guess probably the best ways we could really get around that is to preemptively ask things that might be relevant later. Or like how you did in Setting Sun, where you listed a few scenery details we might be able to make use of.

Exalted itself lends well to it too. With stunts players have initiative to help make up bits of the scenery or situations that others can build on or react to.

That bit of blocky reactions though can be bit of a hurdle. Especially if we want to interrupt something or break a flow that was set by someone else's post. Not much we can do there except be adaptive when things like that pop up.

Just to let you all know, I do have a Lore page set up now. I wouldn't call it entirely complete yet, but it should give you all a bit of an idea of what you might be in for here, as well as some detail for the setting.

Also, with regards to the point about how Join Battle works in Essence (i.e. all the characters on the winning side being allowed to move before anyone on the losing side, baring certain Storyteller characters), depending on how things go, I may opt to ignore this and use the "classic" 3E system, in which character order is determined by individual power/initiative, rather than group initiative.

I wouldn’t mind giving it a shot, though. They’ve divorced initiative from the withering/decisive mechanics, which could be really interesting. It does make it more simple on paper, for sure. And, the initiative isn’t quite as narrative/nebulous as we had discussed. It LOOKS like whoever wins JB goes and then picks the next person to take their turn, which is another “new age” RPG initiative system. It could work really well since as part of your turn, you just tag who you want to go next.

I'm heading off to bed now, but is there anyone who'd like any help/information with regards to character creation?

I'm heading off to bed now, but is there anyone who'd like any help/information with regards to character creation?
I could use some tomorrow or sometime after trying to think up some fun lore. I'm thinking I might go for Earth Dragon Style. Would one need to be an immaculate monk to know that?

I still need to get with Random Word Random Word if they would like anything specific about my bodyguard. Like if they would like them to be Ragara or a different house or ways I can be a pain to lady Satrap.

You don't need to be an Immaculate Monk to know an elemental dragon style. They are taught by monks primarily, but you don't have to be a monk to be a student.
I still need to get with Random Word Random Word Random Word Random Word if they would like anything specific about my bodyguard. Like if they would like them to be Ragara or a different house or ways I can be a pain to lady Satrap.
Ragara makes sense, but is not required. If you aren't Ragara, we just need to figure out why my family trusts you to hold my life in your hands. I think your ideas about triggering my characters control freak tendencies were great.
I haven’t gotten a chance too delve to heavy into the manuscript. Is it more of a hole, like a piece missing? Or is it because the Charms are meant to be way more generalized?
You can't make broad and comprehensive Charmsets for 10 splats in a book with a very tight wordcount. You sample the thematic highlights, and for DBs administration naturally lost out to shooting elemental bolts and forming captain planet. It's less that the base Charmset has holes, and more that it's a few islands in a sea of narrative space. They're good islands, and you can do a lot on them, but even where there is solid Charm support it drops off a cliff passed E2. In general, if your concept is well supported it probably has one E4 or E5 Charm. Maybe, if you're really lucky, both! Many are lucky to have one E3 Charm. Some have to squint at a few E1/2 Charms and tilt their heads to see their concept. I don't know for sure, but I feel like you just don't play Essence for an extended campaign without writing your own Charms. Some of that might be alleviated by the Companion, but it's not focused on adding Charms. This isn't a huge problem, because Essence Charms aren't hard to write.
depending on how things go, I may opt to ignore this and use the "classic" 3E system
I would recommend leaving the initiative system as it is unless it causes a problem in play. It's simple and I think it will work fine in PbP.

Well... I went to post a placeholder template and before I knew it, the character was basically done. Once I read Volcano Cutter, seemed like I had no choice but to follow through.

I don't know if I'll keep the name or the image. I like the personas for Manato and Ryan, and I had a lot of fun in those games (thanks jaydude jaydude ). In an odd way, I kind of like the reboot to a new edition including an alternate version of the character. One that was able to take the path he wanted to take, rather than one he settled for.

Anyhow, I've yet to establish solid connections or relationships to other characters here yet. Since I've gone with a commander's role, let me know if anyone has any ideas or requests.

Also one question for our ST... Am I interpreting the text correctly in that evocations are free? As in, if you bought the merit, you get everything you qualify for. I had assumed they were bought just like charms when filling out the sheet.

Also, don't forget you get a free Excellency or Ox-Body for every point of Essence, so it's 11 Charms including those.

You can't make broad and comprehensive Charmsets for 10 splats in a book with a very tight wordcount. You sample the thematic highlights, and for DBs administration naturally lost out to shooting elemental bolts and forming captain planet. It's less that the base Charmset has holes, and more that it's a few islands in a sea of narrative space. They're good islands, and you can do a lot on them, but even where there is solid Charm support it drops off a cliff passed E2. In general, if your concept is well supported it probably has one E4 or E5 Charm. Maybe, if you're really lucky, both! Many are lucky to have one E3 Charm. Some have to squint at a few E1/2 Charms and tilt their heads to see their concept. I don't know for sure, but I feel like you just don't play Essence for an extended campaign without writing your own Charms. Some of that might be alleviated by the Companion, but it's not focused on adding Charms. This isn't a huge problem, because Essence Charms aren't hard to write.
Yeah, that makes sense. And kind of how I assumed they’d addressed the “problem“ of Charm from all the splats in one book like this. Thanks for breaking it down. I only had a chance to glance at a few.

Just a cursory judgement before haven’t even tried it and only reading a bit of it, I actually think Holden’s PbtA Ex vs WoD handles a lot of this better. But, we’ll see if Essence captures the feel better.

Also, don't forget you get a free Excellency or Ox-Body for every point of Essence, so it's 11 Charms including those.
Ah thanks for that. Made room for Wind Carried Words, Monkey Leap Technique, and Armored Scout's Invigoration from that...

I won't lie, I would like to see more Dragon-Blooded charms or Dragon-Blooded modes to universal charms to give them a more unique feel and give more of a purpose to auras. I'm still plenty content with the character feeling capable and threatening though. The scope of charms is exactly what I was hoping for.

Oh man. Thanks. I can rework a thing or two.

I’m already really enjoying this. I feel I can express my character and understand her capabilities without having so much to try and decide between. It’s so nice.

And the fact that you can run all the Exalt types…

I don’t know… this is getting compelling…

Ugh.

I'm generally pretty good with chargen from rule-reading, so I'm happy to take a crack at it myself.

How many Martial Artists do we have planned now? If it's lots, I'll drop back to something less flashy.

You're all in my retinue, so I brought you all here for a reason and it wasn't because I picked your name out of a hat. Either I trust you implicitly (through blood like WlfSamurai or experience like attending primary or secondary school together), your reputation is so impressive/your family bribed me with something to make it worth taking a risk on you, or you've been forced upon me, probably for political reasons. (Because my family owes your family? Because your family owes mine?)

We do need an army person. Someone has to be commander of the garrison. We could probably use a monk, though the Satrap is quite heretical. As with any good Ragara, she believes pacts with demons and dark forces are a perfectly reasonable way to get ahead in life.
I should point out that you'll have been appointed prior to the Scarlet Empress's disappearance, so odds are she would have had a pretty large hand in selecting the members of your "official" retinue. That said, your personal preferences could certainly influence her decisions, if she feels/can be convinced by a high-ranked member of your house that the people in question are competent enough and won't screw her/the Realm over in favor of you.

I'm generally pretty good with chargen from rule-reading, so I'm happy to take a crack at it myself.

How many Martial Artists do we have planned now? If it's lots, I'll drop back to something less flashy.
Good to know. As for Martial Artists, I haven't been following the character creation process completely closely, but two people have already posted Character Sheets, and the characters in question don't have any Martial Arts Charms. So including your character, that's potentially three Martial Artists.

Last edited:
Name: Ragara Neva Taeran
Ah, quirk of being Dragonblooded sisters. If you're 23, I can be either 3 or 43 (Or 63, 83, etc). A difference of less than 20 years would be scandalous. So I'll be 43 and you're my younger sister just out of secondary school. Clearly the family pulled some strings to get the Empress to make your first assignment my spymistress to get you some experience in the Threshold.

Edit: Presumably we'd likely all be the same house, if we're all the same Satrap's retinue?

Apologies for not noticing this earlier.

If anything, it'll be the opposite; since Random's satrap character was appointed while the Scarlet Empress was still around, the retinue would be made up of Dynasts from multiple houses, in order to prevent the satrap's house from having too much power and autonomy within the area. That's not to say exceptions can't be made though, if you want to play a third Ragara.

The Emerald Thurible is Artifact 3? Ummm... can I have the Emerald Thurible? Mnemon gave it to me for my birthday. I pinky swear to use it only for good. Ah, damnit. Jacint is Third Circle.

If anything, it'll be the opposite; since Random's satrap character was appointed while the Scarlet Empress was still around, the retinue would be made up of Dynasts from multiple houses, in order to prevent the satrap's house from having too much power and autonomy within the area. That's not to say exceptions can't be made though, if you want to play a third Ragara.

What houses have a good relationship with Ragara?

And what what sort of loyalty or abilities would need to be shown for a bodyguard to be trusted with the life of a Satrap? Namely one that doesn't have to worry about pleasing said Satrap. And would nobility be a requirement?

If you weren't a Dynast, but instead Exalted of a Patrician House, and were petitioning to be adopted or fostered by Ragara, that might do it. Ragara are the bankers of the Realm, so most Houses are in debt to them and quietly or not so quietly hate them. I forget who is on good terms with Ragara this edition.

Nope, happy not to. Perhaps a Ledaal, then.

The Emerald Thurible is Artifact 3? Ummm... can I have the Emerald Thurible? Mnemon gave it to me for my birthday. I pinky swear to use it only for good. Ah, damnit. Jacint is Third Circle.
Well as long as you've got the Merit to spare, I don't see why you can't have it. Might need a different reason besides Mnemon giving it to you as a birthday gift though ^;3^.
(Makes mental note to consider making sheets for Dragon-blooded Mnemon thieves/assassins who will try and steal it back on her behalf).
What houses have a good relationship with Ragara?

And what what sort of loyalty or abilities would need to be shown for a bodyguard to be trusted with the life of a Satrap? Namely one that doesn't have to worry about pleasing said Satrap. And would nobility be a requirement?
I'd say your character is technically already Realm nobility, being Dragon-blooded and all. As for friendly houses, that's kind of a doozy, seeing as House Ragara doesn't really have many friends among the other Great Houses. Definitely not House Mnemon; she's had beef with the Ragaras for ages. Probably not Houses Nellens and V'neef; they've got little-to-no debt to House Ragara, and thus nothing that can be used as leverage against them. Houses Cathak and Tepet could possibly work though; both of them have a strong martial bent, and owe House Ragara jade (Bear in mind that this game is going to start prior to the Tepets' fall from grace).

Aside from that, I don't think it matters too much what house your character comes from, as long as they have a good reason for wanting to keep Kitava alive. Perhaps House Ragara will call in some debts owed by your house if anything happens to her? And in terms of bodyguard skills, my first instincts would be Awareness (to spot threats) and Close Combat (to fight those who threaten your charge).

Hm... if we're going with an overall older average for the cast I may go with mid 30s instead of late 20s to reflect the combat experience necessary to be trusted with significant command.

I may also consider a house change depending on what I can dig up on House relationships. Probably leaning toward Tepet. Cynis may be fine as is, but may as well take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back