• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Quest Board

Status Undead

Hello everyone! This is an interest check as much as it is a recruitment and brainstorming thread. This is an incomplete story, as it'll be very large. I want to make sure there is interest in it first, before committing and creating the world.

Story:

This will be a forum role play, where the story revolves around the Quest Board. It will have it's own thread where toons can take quests and interact with other toons. The story will be your own, though the quests will lead towards larger and larger goals. Quests will come with a reward of some type of currency, which can be used in shops, or to buy items from other players, as well as in different services, yet to be determined.

Setting:

The world will be an earth style original planet. A few major cities and towns will be created and have lore and history, though for the most part it'll be open for creation by the players, for reasons of character creation, where they were born and such, and traveling through as well as quests.

It'll be a fantasy setting with magic and dragons, caves and tombs, and many things you may find in games such as Final Fantasy, or Dungeons and Dragons.

Character Creation:

I plan on having pre-made original races, some mythological races, like faeries and goblins. I'll have a list of races, with descriptions and lore and history to choose from. Races can always be added even if they aren't on the list. All I'd need is a detailed description, lore and history for them. Also, you could just recommend the race to me and I'd be happy to write it all up, or incorporate traits or personalities you want to see.

For balance purposes, so no one is capable of completing huge quests by themselves, or clearing the quest board, there will be traits: strengths and weaknesses, with point values. Items will also have point values for use at creation. Items like weapons and armor, magic and currency, and even pets. Magical and special items can be created and used, though discussed with me first so I can assign a point value. These point values will be ignored for everything besides character creation.

Progression:

Almost everything will be purchasable. Things from magic to pets and slaves, buildings and facilities, specialized weapons and magical tech. Pretty much anything you can think of. In a way, the currency will be a sort of experience point system. I'll come up with a system for magic and combat involving inventories and such pending interest.

The good stuff, Questing:

This system isn't finalized yet, as are many of the systems, since I'm just seeing if there's interest enough to even start this project, but here's my idea.

Toons would go to the Quest Board. There would only be one so toons have a good chance to bump into others, and it would make partying up for quests easier. Quests will have different values assigned to it. A reward amount for the currency, a difficulty, which would be in the form of the number of recommended people.

Going back to character creation, no matter what race you have, or how many powers, no one will be able to complete a two man quest by themselves, which would have a difficulty number of 2. unless their particular strengths lend themselves towards that quest. For example, a mage using fire fighting a mob of enemies weak to fire. Then they will count as 2 people, which will be a 2 difficulty.

People who aren't geared towards a quest will count as half a person. For example, a swordsman fighting a stone gargoyle.

Other than those situations, everyone has the same particular skill levels, when it comes to difficulty. If that makes sense?

To clarify who's good and who's bad at what quests, I will put things in the quest, like swordsman or blunt weapons user, fire magic, ice magic, or magic in general, assassin, thief, or any number of other things that are appropriate. Anything not mentioned will be of normal difficulty.

Quests will be put up by the population, citizens needing a cat from a tree, or the armies of various kingdoms needing someone assassinated.

Here's an example quest, vaguely written.

There's a pack of wolves eating my sheep, please kill them. -Bob the builder.

Reward: 1 gold

Difficulty: 3

Recommended: Sharp weapons, necromancy.

Not recommended: Blunt weapons, large races

Now, this means we need three people of average ability to take on this quest. If we have someone who uses swords, they count as two, being worth 2 points. Then we would only need two people.

If we have a large cyclops, being a big race, he would count as half, so we would still need three average people, bringing us to a total of 3.5 Or two half point people and two others, and so on.

If this needs clarification I'd be happy to break it down further :D

Quest Rewards:

No, as far as being rewarded, I was thinking of a judge system. An ancient magic that summons a judge to watch over your quest, unseen by anything and everything and person. This ensures quests are completed, along with any bonus objectives, and the judge's being there doesn't interfere with the quest, such as for an assassination or something.

When they accept the quest, they will sign it, magically removing it from the board so no one else can take the quest. Pending quest failure, which may happen, because let's be realistic, everyone has a bad day and no one's perfect. If that were to happen, the quest would magically reappear on the board, allowing anything there to accept it, while you're left with traveling back if you want it again.

Pending quest success though, the judge would hand you your gold, which was prepaid by the poster of the quest.

Conclusion:

So, if you're read up to this point, hopefully you're interested. I'm also always down for ideas if you aren't interested, things you'd like to see, things you wouldn't. I'm also happy to accept help in creating the world, should there be interest. I wouldn't mind creating the world and the races by myself, but obviously it's faster with help :D

I plan on a pg-13 rating, though I wouldn't mind M rated if there's interest and the majority of people want it. Though as per the rules sex and stuff won't be written about, instead using fade to black. And yes, romance is allowed and encouraged. I like romance :D

I've probably missed something, so let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to clarify!

Hi

This looks interesting. About your examples. If the quest difficulty is 3, and a swordsman is rated as 2 - wouldn't that mean you need 1 more person not 2?

Same goes for the second example. If a cyclops counts as 0.5 then wouldn't you need another x1 0.5 + 2?

Will you be using dice for combat? I think it would be a good idea.

Will you be acting as dungeon master on the quests to ensure it processes nicely and players don't god mod? This would add to the creativity of each quest instead of leaving players up to their own devices.

Are you going to create a list of acceptable traits, skills and abilities? For example fire, earth, air, water and dark magic? Since damage type is an important aspect of each quest.

I would also prefer a mature rating simply for the violence of hack n slash roleplay.

I guess I can clarify that a little. I meant you only need two people, for the first example, total, not two more.

As for the second, the difficulty is minimum. I should probably change that to recommended people, instead of difficulty. So if you have a cyclops, in that example, a half a person, then you would still need at least enough to make it to 3, and three more regular people makes it 3.5. If you wanted, you could take a group of a thousand, definitely ensuring victory.

There will be quests with negative modifiers as well, or multiple difficulties. For example, an assassination. Bringing a group to kill a single general of an army, you'd need an army yourself, or just one skilled person, or two. It'll be explained with whatever quest has to come out.

Yes, I will be playing enemy npcs. If we get a large enough group, I may ask others to play npcs for certain quests. I'm also thinking that difficulty and who's good and who's not at certain quests will be ooc, so you're character won't know, just the player. Dice will not be used for general combat, though it'll be used at times, by me for the most part, to determine events either during or after a battle. Example, let's say your facing a powerful mage and end up killing him, I may have a dice roll to see if some dormant magic kicks in after death, doing one of several things if it does. Or I may use it to see if a bomb goes off, or other primitive tech, like guns, if they are included. I may have dice rolls for other players to use, but I haven't thought of anything yet.

One thing I do want to mention, it'll be an RP very open to change, as per the group.

So how will combat work? If you are playing as the enemy how will we dictate who gets hit and who misses?

I could roleplay this:

"I take a swipe at you and my sword cuts you in half. You die."

What's your response from that going to be? It's not god modding as swords can actually cut people in half.

You're half right. In order to cut another person in half, you'd have to have an incredibly sharp sword and insane strength to get through the muscle and bone and any armor they may have. Not to mention you can try cutting a steel golem in half, good luck with that. I would like to stay away from dice, as all the combat I've ever been a part of was without dice. And as combat will be between the players and the enemies that I write for. So there's no combat between players, and even if there are arguments, they can be discussed in a separate thread for combat disputes.

Though I can work on a dice system if more people are interested in that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back