• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Characters
Here
“C’mon Alfie! Time’s a wastin’!” Benny called to the sheepdog who was still dawdling behind him. Alfie barked happily and trotted up to his side, his tail wagging happily as if he knew it was a special day. Really, Benny only believed it to be his birthday. He’d tried hard to remember the days his mother would hold a secret party for him while his father was away at work, but it seemed the best memories had the shortest life. He did know it was always hotter around his special day, so now would be as good of a day as any.

The muggy heat seemed to swirl around him, making his thick red hair stick to his sweaty face. Still, the uncomfortable weather did nothing to dampen his mood. The pair strolled along on their way to the twin’s place. Someone had to celebrate with him, and he knew exactly where Mary would be. Helena wouldn’t want to come, and Benny was secretly okay with that. After Bruce’s ordeal, his trust in her lessened considerably.

“Mornin’,” A fat man resting along the side of the road called, breaking his concentration, “Care for an apple?” Benny glanced down to find a crate of the shiny fruit at the man’s feet. Shrugging, he picked one up and took a bite.

“Yuck! What’s this?” Benny swiped at his tongue as if it hurt and put the apple back in the crate.

“It’s a red delicious my boy! You’d, er, better take that. Can’t be sellin’ food that’s already been eaten.”

“Well I can’t be eatin’ food with a misleadin’ name now can I? I’ll have ye know it’s my birthday.” He pointed to himself matter of factly. The man gave him an odd glance and picked up the fruit Benny had grabbed.

“Take it.”

“No.”

“Boy, I don’t care what you do with the damn fruit after, alright? Take it ‘n go.” Benny shook his head and kept walking, but Alfie seemed to take an interest in the disgusting thing.

Alfie no! You’ll get poisoned!” Grabbing the dog by his scruff, the two scurried off down the road as obscenities were yelled after them.

“Gotta teach ye the importance of what ta eat and what not ta eat.” He tisked at Alfie before turning right. The familiar sign of the pub came into view, and Benny was wise enough to put Alfie next door.

“Stay here or Helena’ll have a fit. Stay!” With that he made his way inside and down the steps to the sister's room.

MARY! MARY COME OUT HERE!”

Mary was sitting at a table in her room with Miles; the pub was properly lifeless in the middle of the day. She was in the middle of beating the man in chess when the astringent shrieking of a child startled her and caused her to bump the table, knocking over the pieces.

“Bloody hell,” she said, abruptly standing and leaving Miles to deal with the mess. Her leg had begun to properly heal, now only walking with a slight limp and her cane. She shuffled over to the door and creaked it open to find the source of her discomfort.

The Irish urchin.

Bennet, what in blazes are you doing outside of my room?”

“Lookin’ fer you, o’ ‘course. It’s a special day today and I’ve gotta have someone to accompany me. Nearly got poisoned on my way here, can ye believe it? Some wanker’s sellin’ some disgustin’ food. Don’t believe him when he says they’re delicious. He’s out fer twenty year olds.”

He gave Mary a cheeky grin before popping his head in to wave at Miles.

“‘Mornin!”

Mary watched Bennet push past into her room to say hi to Miles, mouth agape. “I’m sorry, Bennet, I believe I must have misheard you. The, uh, wanker is out for whom?”

“Er,” Benny glanced at her before counting slowly on his fingers, then nodded, “yep! Twenty! More n’ nineteen. Yer still twenty, yea? Or did you two get a birthday before me?” He scratched his head in frustration before plopping onto what he assumed to be Mary’s makeshift bed.

“Anyways, figured you’d like to come with Alfie n’ me fer a birthday trip!”

Mary’s eye twitched as the cursed child sat down on her belongings. If Lena were here, she’d have ripped the sod’s ear off, but Mary was doing her damndest to keep her emotions in check.

Bennet, dear,” she began again, “I do believe you must have miscounted.” Mary smiled as gently as she could, eye twitching again. “There’s hardly an ounce of a chance that we occupy the same place upon the numerical calendar. For Christ’s sake, dearie, you’re hardly a teen.”

The youngest gang member nodded carefully, weighing the possibility of Mary being right against his own experiences.

“Alright, eighteen then. I ain’t too keen on how many birthdays I got, but I’m sure it’s today.” With this new realization in mind, he stood and took Mary’s arm.

“C’mon then! We’ve got eighteen things ta get today!” He led his boss enthusiastically out of the door, waving a hurried goodbye in Miles’s direction.

Mary winced at the boy’s touch, but her gaze softened. “You’re right, dear, eighteen sounds much more reasonable for a young, uppity lad such as yourself.” As Bennet pulled her through the door, she turned back to Miles. “Sorry, love, but I would greatly appreciate your cleaning of the mess. Cheers!”

It wasn’t until they were outside of the pub that Mary finally yanked her arm out of the boy’s hand and fixed the mostly-clean shirt he’d crumpled in his fists. “Daft it all,” she whined, pressing into her arm over and over again to smooth out the wrinkles. When she’d patted her sleeve for the 8th time and progress still hadn’t been made, she sighed and turned her gaze to the Irish child.

“Yes, well, eighteen is quite the year, Bennet. If you request my presence so meekly, I suppose I must oblige you. What are these plans in which I am accompanying your undertaking?”

Benny grinned at her before whistling over to a patiently waiting Alfie.

“C’mere boy! Come see Mary!” At his beckon the sheepdog bounded over to them, leaping to rest his paws on Mary. Benny had the mind to put a steadying hand on her back to keep from falling over- Something that happened to him quite often when Alfie got too excited.

“First order o’ business miss Nevitt! We get rid o’ that doctor.”

Mary was mortified. On its hind legs, the beast was nearly as tall as she was and was almost certainly heavier. She’d tried to sidestep the monster when it came barreling in her direction, but Bennet, blasted fool that he was, had imprisoned her. She was trapped - trapped betwixt two creatures of similar intellect, nearly being crushed in the process.

Bennet! Release me!”

He stepped back hurriedly at her command, letting the rest of Alfie’s weight lean on her.

“So is that a yes? Don’t worry, ye don’t even have to break the bad news to the doc! I wrote up a full apology about the misunderstandin’.” Benny searched his pockets, dismayed to find them empty. Frowning, he searched carefully but with the same result.

“Well, I’ll just tell her.”

Mary fell backward as the boy moved out of her way, stumbling onto the ground with a thud. Almost instinctively, she smacked the dog on the snout. “Bloody– unhand me beast!” It whimpered and finally got off of her, but the damage had already been done.

Her white blouse had been stained brown in the shape of the mutt’s paws and her tweed pants were wet with whatever in God’s name had dampened the pavement outside of the pub.

She glared at the urchin and his beast. “A moment, dear.”

She rose from the ground, brushed herself off, and shuffled back inside the pub and to her room. Miles had finished cleaning up the chess pieces, and so Mary quickly disrobed out of her soiled garments and donned comparably fresh and unstained streetwear.

She now wore a different white blouse under a brown cotton vest - colored as such in case the beast deigned to soil her again. Over her legs, she wore cheap, grey linen pants that had been patched at the knees after a scuffle by the river a few months ago.

Quickly rushing back out the door, she resumed her ruined day with the teen.

“Yes, well, I’m finished changing out of the clothes your monster ruined,” she began, glaring at the wicked thing at Bennet’s heel. “But, what’s this nonsense about the doctor? Do you mean Michelle Blackburn?”

Benny winced at her cold disposition, reaching down to pet Alfie’s head comfortingly.

“Ye look great, Mary. Much prettier with the… Er,” He struggled to find exactly what she had changed as he glanced over her, “vest.” He had forgotten exactly who he was talking to. Although Mary was much kinder than her sister in terms of how they dealt with remorse, Mary was still a gang leader. His leader.

“Won’t happen again, swear it!” Crossing his heart with his index finger, Benny sighed and nodded at her question.

“Mhm, exactly! I’ve got all I need ta know about doctorin’. I don’t think we need her followin’ us around like a lost pup. No offense.” He glanced down at Alfie, who had taken to laying quietly at his feet after the reprimand.

“‘Sides, it’s my birthday! If she decides ta cash in her promise of sickin’ the cops on me soon I’d never forgive myself fer passin’ up this opportunity.”

Bennet, dear, we’ve only just let the doctor into our group. We’ve no plans to cut her out so unceremoniously before she’s even done anything!” Mary rubbed at her temples with her hands. Bennet knew how to test her patience like none other she’d ever encountered. What sins had she committed to warrant such suffering? “She wouldn’t ‘sick the cops’ on you if she values her continued existence on this earth, I can promise you that much. Lena and I don’t take kindly to misconduct, as I’m sure you remember.”

Benny shuddered at the thought. He hadn’t spoken to Bruce since that night. He had desperately wanted to talk to him, but after visiting his shack only to find it empty, he’d quickly given up.

“It was worth a shot,” he shrugged, “Then how’s ‘bout we go shoppin’? I know a great place with lotsa fancy clothes! I know you’d like a new dress.” He nudged her in the arm, hoping the thought of wearing something nice would change her mood.

Mary scoffed. “Trying to butter me up is unbecoming of a newly eighteen year old, Bennet.” She began briskly walking away from the pub before turning around. “It worked, though, come along now!”

—-----------------------------------------

“Yup, this is the place!” Benny unwrapped the candy he had swiped on their way to the familiar house and popped it in his mouth.

He glanced up at the building with his hands on his hips as if deciding the best way to get in.

“Last time some crazy woman caught me takin’ her husband’s clothes, but don’t you worry. I doubt she’d be havin’ another tea party today.”

Mary smacked the boy on the back of the head when she realized the “shopping” he had promised was simply an unplanned heist for some middle aged woman’s second hand dresses. “Fucking– do you call this bloody shopping, Bennet? Shopping does not involve pilfering poorly cleaned hand-me-downs you dratted fool!”

She
smacked him again and crossed her arms. “I wouldn’t be able to believe this if it was anyone but you, Bennet.” She was tapping her foot nearly hard enough to crack the cement outside of the idiots’ house that Bennet wanted to rob from a second time.

“Thank you.” He knew damn well it wasn’t really a compliment, but he refused to risk getting hit a third time.

She couldn’t handle this for much longer. No matter that it was the blasted idiot’s birthday, some charity was too costly for even Mary to wager an effort at paying. Who could aleve her of this pain? Lena was away, presumably with Astrid, Brucie had moved his shack, and Mary didn’t know where anyone else in the gang resided–

“Conor!” she exclaimed aloud without realizing it.Conor! Yes. Bennet, how would you like your birthday extravaganza to include more than just me, your best friend and most trusted advisor, but Conor as well! Your kinsman from the Emerald Isle has taken up residence in a scrap yard not too far from here. Yes! We shall pay him a visit.”

Mary
grabbed Benny’s hand and quickly led him away from the home he wanted to rob. The fool.

—---------------------------------------------

Benny sulked behind Mary as she led him and Alfie along the railroad.

Mary,” he began quietly, hesitant to say much lest it invoke her wrath, “what’s the emerald isle? And how come Conor’s gotta come from there too? I’m fairly certain he wouldn’t have chosen such a place if he knew I were there.” He enjoyed Conor’s company, but after the fight they’d had so long ago it was clear his cohort didn’t exactly feel the same.

“And why’s he gotta live in a train? Doesn’t he know these things move? And how come-”

Bennet!” Mary snapped, turning around to face the boy. “For Christ’s sake, child, how are you alive?” She spun back on her heels and continued leading the child and his lost pet along the railway.

“The Emerald Isle,” she said, loud enough for Benny to hear without turning around, “is the colloquial term for Ireland. You two are Irishmen. From Ireland. The Emerald Isle.” She glanced over her shoulder. “Does that make sense? Are you following, dearie, or need I simplify it even more?”

Benny scoffed and crossed his arms.

“I ain’t a child.”

Mary continued to lead the way toward Conor’s train car, but they were already nearly there. Bad memories of her breaking down, losing all composure in front of Mr. Murphy, flooded in as she began treading upon the familiar ground once more. Even Lena had not seen her in that state in many nights. Were Conor to desire continued position within their gang, he’d keep her secret.

Oh, he had better keep her secret.

Mary took a deep breath. Standing outside of the car, Mary lifted her cane and banged on the door repeatedly. Conor! Oh, Conor Murphy! I’ve come calling for you, dear Conor, for we have work to do together!” She banged the cane thrice more for good measure.

There was only a moment’s pause before the carriage door slid open a crack with a screech, the barrel of a pistol just visible through the opening. Holding it was a very bewildered Conor, his eyes wide as saucers and his hair all a mess. He’d apparently been napping.

“Crepes and apples, boss, you wanna shout louder next time?” he hissed, lowering his weapon. The man’s glare deepened when it settled on Benny. Great. He was already stressing about Mary knowing where his home was, and now he has to deal with the little gremlin having the same knowledge?

“What’s he doin’ here?” he asked Mary accusingly. “Actually, what are either o’you doin’ here?”

Conor
suddenly tilted his head to the side, as if he was only now processing Mary’s words. “Wait, we got a job?”

Benny glanced at Mary, trying to convey his confusion on why she thought it such a good idea to bring him.

“Ah, come off it mate. It’s my birthday! Mary says we gotta bring you along.”

Mary’s eyes narrowed in on Conor. “Yes, Mr. Anderton has turned eighteen years old today, God save us.” She leaned slightly closer to Conor and continued. Bennet decided that his birthday would be made more joyful by spending it with me.” She glanced back to Benny and then back to Conor. “Only me. Bennet and I, together, just the two of us, in celebration of this youth’s first foray into adulthood.”

Mary
cleared her throat and settled back into the position she was in prior to pleading with her eyes to Conor. “I figured, well, we might as well make this a proper party and involve more of the gang. You were the very first name that sprung to mind, in fact,” she lied. “Why, the three of us celebrating dear Bennet’s birth - my, I could hardly come up with a million better ways to spend the day!”

She reached up into the car and pulled on Conor’s arm. “Come love, please. Please.”

Conor rolled his eyes and pulled his arm free before disappearing behind the door. He emerged a few moments later, dressed in a coat and scarf and scowl. The undertones of the situation weren’t lost on him; clearly Mary was in agony and she wanted someone to keep the little goblin off her back.

Still, if it was Benny’s birthday…

“One second,” Conor said. He dipped back into the carriage, tossing a few of his meager belongings to the ground as he rummaged through the space. After a handful of curses and more grumbling, he popped back out with a small package, wrapped sloppily in burlap.

“Ready,” he said simply, closing the door behind him and locking it.

“What’s that there?” Benny asked as they began walking back the way he and Mary had come.

“Can I see?” He peaked over the man’s shoulder curiously as Alfie ran ahead of the group. Before Conor could answer he gasped.

“Is it fer me? Did ye get me somethin’ fer my special day?”

“No,” Conor said firmly, pushing the parcel into his coat. “Maybe. If you’re good.”

He shot a dark look at Mary, as if to say, you owe me for this one.

“How old are you, anyway?” he asked. “Fifteen? Sixteen?”

Benny scoffed again, rolling his eyes as he sidled up next to his brother from the Emerald Isle, as Mary put it.

“Eighteen. Thought I was twenty, but Mary said there’s no way. Guess she would know.” He shrugged before eyeing Conor’s coat.

“I’m always good. Better n’ good! I got eighteen birthday wishes by the by, but we can’t kill the doc just yet so I gotta come up with somethin’ else now.” He thought for a moment before snapping his fingers.

“I want pie.”

“Yes, yes, pie sounds wonderful, dear,” Mary said, reaching up to scruff up the lad’s hair. “Big slice of pie for the big boy that is definitely an adult.” She leaned backward out of Bennet’s line of sight and shook her head at Conor. “Or should we say man now, eh?”

—-----------------------------------------

“For heaven’s sake, Bennet, we’ve been at this for seven hours! Are you nearly done with your birthday wishes yet?” Mary was angrily tapping her foot on the ground once again and exasperatedly pinching at the bridge of her nose.

Benny was sitting on the ground just outside the pub, Alife sprawled out over his legs. He wasn’t actually sure how many birthday wishes he’d cashed in, but none of them felt right. He’d had two people he cared about with him, gotten his favorite dessert, mocked some cops, pushed a man into the Thames, and just about everything in between. He’d laughed so hard all day he had thrown himself into a coughing fit! But now that the excitement had died down, he realized none of it really made it as special as he thought. It was just another day for him.

He’d hardly heard Mary, but her tapping foot broke him out of his thoughts.

“Just about. I…” he paused for a moment, frowning. Did he really think this was such a good idea? Would the two be up for something like this?

“It’s my birthday,” he began slowly, doing something he rarely did- think before speaking. “I’ve done just about everything I can think ta do, and if you guys don’t wanna accompany me fer my last wish I’ll understand but… I think I wanna go see my mum.”

Mary abruptly stopped tapping her foot. Oh dear. Had she heard him right? He wanted to see his mum? And he wanted Mary and Conor to accompany him?

Of all the things Mary hadn’t expected to be asked, that one was probably the highest on the list. Had she not set up walls preventing the gang from seeing her too closely? Did the gang not resent her and her harshness? What about what she had ordered them to do to dear Brucie? Had she been forgiven unjustly? Did Bennet truly value her companionship so dearly that he’d not only spend his entire birthday with her, but ask her to do something so personal?

It was all too much! This was a closeness she was not comfortable sharing with Bennet of all people. Yet…

Mary was dizzy, her entire understanding of the gang’s perception of her had been shaken, but she carefully walked over to Bennet and sat down next to him. She looked up at Conor before turning back to the boy and pinching his cheek. “I think we can manage that one, dearie.”

Conor suddenly felt very strange, cold and warm all over at the same time. He didn’t like it, and part of him wanted to turn around right then and go back to his train carriage. It was more than annoyance, or awkwardness. Benny’s words, and the thought of what Conor might be forced to confront — if what the younger lad had said concerning his father was anything to go off of — prodded him with a deeper sort of discomfort, something near pain. Or fear.

But another part of him knew doing so was as impossible for him — would be as painful as — cutting off his own arm.

Conor tipped his hat downward, shading his expression with its stout brim.

“Sure thing, Benny,” he mumbled. “We’ll be right behind you.”

—---------------------------------------------

The trio walked carefully towards the asylum, Benny in the lead. He’d tearfully left Alfie at the front gate, his best friend’s lack of comfort extremely disconcerting. The boy tried hard to hide his shaking hands. He’d not seen his mom since… oh, how long ago was it? Eleven years? She’d been taken from him ever since his father deemed it necessary to put her here to rot. Benny hadn’t had the courage to visit until now, and he began having his doubts as the front door loomed ever closer.

He refused to look back at Mary and Conor, scared that they’d see just how terrified he really was. Despite the June heat, a chill crept up his spine. He briefly thought about telling them to turn back. They could just do something simple for his last wish- perhaps drink. Yes, he’d drink as heavily as Brucie, as a tribute to him for what they’d done.

His feet refused to follow his thoughts, however. They carried him all the way to the big metal door that led into the cursed place. His mother was here? Alone?

Without a word he opened the door, his body seemingly acting separately from what he wanted. The scent of sterilized cleaner rushed up to him, reminding Benny of doc Shelley’s place. It was empty save for a single attendee at the front desk. She barely spared a glance to them as they entered, but her voice traveled to greet them.

“What can I do for you three?” Benny pursed his lips momentarily, unsure how this was supposed to work.

“Er… we’re here ta see Eliza Anderton. Elizabeth.” Finally the woman looked up, glancing between the three of them suspiciously.

“You related?”

“Yes’m. I’m her son.” It felt weird to say. He hadn’t felt like anyone’s son in so long. He’d always been his own person, running with the gang as some tagalong. Recently it felt as if the gang didn’t really want him either, and he couldn’t say he didn’t blame them. Benny wasn’t someone’s first pick, and he’d grown to understand that.

“And those two?” She stared pointedly at Conor and Mary.

Benny grit his teeth, suddenly feeling defensive.

“They’re with me.” The woman paused as if considering their authenticity, then nodded.

“Third floor, room 312.” Benny nodded but remained in place. Suddenly his chest seemed too tight, his throat closing as it did before a coughing fit. This was a mistake. She wouldn’t want to see him, not after his absence.

“I can’t…”

Mary gently reached out to Bennet, wrapping her arm around his back and resting her hand on his shoulder. This was a bad place; his mum must have suffered here. And if his reaction to this was any indication, he hadn’t visited in a long time, perhaps ever.

It made Mary realize she hadn’t visited her parents’ graves in nearly ten years. She’d resented them leaving her and Lena to fend for themselves. They had to become each others’ parents when they were hardly beyond toddling. It was a wicked thing to do to children. They were hardly worth anything as parents, as far as Mary was concerned.

But, Bennet seemed fond of his mum. She must have put in an effort, at least in her own way. The boy clearly cared enough to try and see her, even after so much time had passed. Maybe that fondness made this all the harder.

Mary squeezed Bennet’s shoulders. Perhaps she’d grown soft on him after spending an entire day with him. Perhaps she was already softer than she’d insisted. Perhaps… it didn’t ultimately matter. Bennet placed his trust in her today; she wasn’t going to betray him.

“Come on love,” she said, beginning to guide him down the hall and toward the stairs. “We’re here with you, Bennet. You’re not alone now.” She smiled at him and subtly gestured with a nod for Conor to follow them.

Conor followed wordlessly. Though they were indoors, he’d pulled his scarf closer to his face, which had taken on a bit of a pallor. This place reminded him of some of the cramped buildings his family would stay at when they were between jobs. Sure, the facilities here were in a bit better shape — there weren’t any holes in the walls for the cold wind to blow through — but they seemed lonelier, somehow.

Setting his expression into a stony neutrality, Conor kept his gaze forward, staring into the back of Benny’s head. If the kid wanted him there, he’d be there. That was just the way it was going to happen.

Conor tried to hold to that thought, to keep his mind from wandering. But it was hard not to think about his own Ma. It’d been months, at this point, since he’d received his last letter from his family. That itself wasn’t entirely unusual; it got expensive to keep sending messages across the Irish Sea. Maybe they were waiting for him to write first, or to send some money, or to tell them he’d found a place.

He’d tried — he really had. He’d just been busy lately, that was all. He’d write up a letter and visit the post first thing when he got back to the railyard, just to check in and ask after everyone. Ma and Pa would appreciate that, wouldn’t they?

Or maybe they’d decided he’d given up on them. Maybe they’d given up on him.

Conor shook his head, trying to refocus on the stairs in front of him. How long had they been walking?

Benny didn’t know himself. He was overly aware of the somber mood between them, but this time he didn’t have a witty comment to make it better. The only thing he could focus on clearly were their footsteps against the cold tiled floor and Mary’s gentle grasp. At this point he would’ve settled for the exasperated anger she’d had all day rather than the uncomfortable silence. This was not a position he’d wanted his boss and Conor to be here for. Really he hadn’t been planning on this at all when the day began, but the celebration had only brought back the memories of his mother.

She was only a few steps away now. The large black ‘312’ seemed to glare menacingly at them as they all stopped in front of the wooden door. This time Benny did spare a look to the others. He couldn’t decide what they were feeling, but suddenly his eyes began to water. They’d really done this for him. Benny Anderton, the weakest, stupidest runt, as his father would say. Was he really as alone as he originally believed?

He wouldn’t have gotten this far without them. He’d never be able to say it out loud, he knew that, but he desperately hoped they knew how much this meant.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Mum? It’s me… Bennet.” He didn’t wait for an answer as he slowly turned the knob and cracked the door open. The room was small. No windows were built to let in light, the only way to see being two lit candles resting on the walls. One bed sat against the furthest wall, a chair catty corner, and one lone figure hunched lightly on it. At the sound of the opening door, Eliza snapped her head to attention.

Who’er you? Yer not a doctor. Who are you?” Her dark eyes darted wildly between the three of them before resting on Benny.

“Oh mum… what happened to ye?” Benny’s eyes grew wide with dismay as he scoured her over. She was so skinny. Her once shiny, curly red hair was now matted and dirty and thin. Her skin was gaunt, and her hands curled painfully over each other. One could see the beauty she’d once held behind her sagged appearance if they looked hard enough, but it was difficult to do so. What scared Benny most were her eyes. She was completely lost in her own mind- completely broken.

“Answer me! Street rats! Dirty urchins!” Elizabeth shot up from her chair and began backing away. Her voice rose in pitch, on the verge of hysterics.

Mum! It’s me, yer son Benny? Remember?” He held his hands up to her but didn’t move.

“You are not my son! My little Bennet is only nine! NINE!” Again she shrieked at them, clearly unaware of exactly how much time had passed. Benny pursed his lips before taking a careful, deliberate step forward. One hand was still outstretched, with his other he reached into his pocket and retrieved his last hard candy. It had always been her favorite, something the two had shared in secret when his father was away, much like his birthday.

“Nah… it’s me mum. I finally came back,” Benny’s voice cracked with emotion, but he quickly cleared it and tried again. “I’ve got our favorite candy, remember? Father’s not here right now, so it’s okay ta have some.” He’d made it to her chair. Eliza had backed up to her bed, keeping the same amount of distance between them.

“My son isn’t a street rat,” she spit the words harshly, “He wanted ta be a saloon keeper.” Benny made a face at that. Even without her wits she still managed to say something embarrassing.

“Y-yea, I did mum. I, uh… plans changed.” He took another step, but became alarmed as her eyes flashed angrily over to Mary and Conor. It was like wrangling a wild animal… not that he’d ever done that.

“S’alright ma. They’re friends o’ mine. Real nice like. Well, most o’ the time.” He managed a small smirk to them before focusing on the fearful woman again. He tugged on the brim of his hat uncomfortably, suddenly feeling dizzy as a whole new wave of emotions and memories flooded over him.

“I’m doin’ alright. Got my own dog now, got… got some friends. Dad’s, uh… he’s gone. Won’t be comin’ back.” Eliza watched him as he began talking again, still inching his way towards her.

“Today’s my birthday, did ye know? Eighteen now, ma, can ye believe it?” He chuckled but was quickly cut off with a nasty cough.

“I’m doin’- doin’ fine.” He was halfway to her. He’d kept eye contact, but something finally changed. She seemed to soften.

“Yes… yes, my Bennet was sick. Mild case o’ black lung, sounded croupy, just like that.” She nodded towards him. Benny tilted his head questioningly, unsure what exactly that meant.

“A’right Mum. Whatever ye say.” Finally he was there, and she allowed the boy to take her hand. Benny drew it up to his face before pressing his lips against her cold skin.

“Bennet?” Eliza croaked, her voice dropping drastically. He merely nodded, and she finally broke down. Finally. The old woman dropped to her knees on the bed, and Benny was able to embrace her.

“Sorry it took so long ma. Had ta… had ta get some stuff done first. But I gotta leave again soon.” As he spoke he realized he didn’t want to be here. He’d done what he set out to do. He missed her so much, and would do so down the road, but something had come to his attention- he wanted to be good. In his mother’s mind, he was still the pure little boy who just wanted to run his own saloon. The little kid that knew nothing of surviving on the streets, nothing of going hungry or killing. He’d been a dreamer, as all kids were, still shielded from his father’s wrath. Elizabeth hadn’t wanted this for her son, and he somehow knew that if he left now she’d forget this interaction by tomorrow.

“We gotta leave soon, but I’ll be back.” He lied. He wasn’t coming back ever. She’d die here believing her son was still that perfect little boy. If that was selfish, then Benny could live with that as he had been since becoming part of the gang. He glanced at Mary and Conor again over the top of his mother’s head.

“We should leave.”
—-------------------------------------

Mary wasn’t quite sure what to do in this sort of situation. The group had left the asylum at Bennet’s insistence, now occupying the street curb like the vagrants they pretended they weren’t. Mary sat with her cane between her legs and squished between the two men. Bennet, for his part, still seemed rather shaken by the whole thing.

Not that she could blame him, were she to even want to.

They sat in silence for a little while, however uncharacteristic of them. It was rather nice, in fact. Perhaps she’d grown fonder of her subordinates than she’d realized.

For a time, at least. Finally having enough of the silence, Mary reached up and ruffled Bennet’s hair once again. “Happy birthday, dear. I sincerely hope it was a worthwhile day for you.”

Benny sniffled and nodded.

“Yea. Yea, it was great. Next year we can push that lad’s girlfriend into the Thames!” Despite everything that had transpired, the young gang member began laughing.

“And we’ll get to have a pie eatin’ contest! Maybe I can get a tattoo! I’ll have so much money next year I’ll have everythin’ in London!” He wasn’t quite sure whether his happiness was genuine. Had he become so good at faking it that it felt real, or was he really content?

“Hey!”

Speaking of happiness…

Conor! I’ve been good all day just like I said I would! What’d ye get me?” He reached over Mary’s head and held out his hand expectantly.

It took more self control than Mary knew she had not to hit the boy for the disgrace of reaching over her head. Were it not for what had just transpired, the man would be clutching his stomach in the street. Instead, she bit her lip and pouted.

“Lemme see, lemme see!”

“Hm?” Conor snapped back to attention, flinching at the sudden appearance of Benny’s hand into his personal space. Had he trailed off again? He hadn’t been thinking of anything in particular; he’d just let his brain switch off a bit. It’d been almost nice.

“Oh, right,” he said, reaching into his jacket. He hesitated. Was this the best idea? He’d panicked when Benny and Mary had shown up, and wrapped whatever he’d had on hand.

Oh, God, this was a terrible idea, wasn’t it? But he couldn’t back out now. Benny would never let him hear the end of it.

Conor signed and handed over the parcel. The burlap wrapping had come loose at some point, revealing the polished barrel of a derringer pistol within.

“It’s not loaded,” he said, speaking each word with the gravity of a dying confession — more for Mary’s benefit than Benny’s. “But I figure you’ve been trying to steal the thing since we’ve met, and you’ve about earned it, now that yer all grown up and all.”

Conor
re-wrapped the weapon and handed it over. “If you’d like,” he added in a quieter tone, “I can teach you how t’shoot.”

Benny took the bag enthusiastically, all but tearing the sack off of it.

“Yer really given’ it ta me?” He sprang up from his spot on the curb, spinning the gun around his finger by its trigger before aiming at a random point opposite him. A woman happened to be walking by, noticing the weapon accidentally aimed at her and screamed.

“Yeesh. Some people are so dramatic. IT AIN’T LOADED, LADY!” Benny watched the woman run away before turning back to Conor.

“Tomorrow then! I’ll come by yer little train car n’ we can shoot all day long, just the two of us! Also, do keep in mind that trains move. I wouldn’t stay there fer too long.” He silently debated on giving the both of them a hug before he thought better of it. No way he was going to start doing that.

“I shoulda turned older a long time ago! C’mon then, let’s get goin’!” He helped Mary stand before calling Alfie to his side, and started off towards the direction of the pub. He couldn’t wait for his nineteenth birthday!

With the unpleasant business with Bruce over and done with, Benjamin returns his attention to other pursuits. Without a request for his presence from the Twins, and Bruce out of sight and therefore equally out of mind, he takes the opportunity to partake in his hobbies. As the weeks go on, he's left with a certain unease. It had been ages since he last had this much time to rest and relax, and though he keeps busy tapping away at Henry's piano, reading the latest novels, working odd-jobs, and learning the ins-and-outs of the flower symbolism used by some of London's upper crust, it all feels like someone else's dream and at any moment he'll wake up to the sound of cannons. The cannon's roar comes when he goes to lend a hand to the longshoreman for a day and spots the name of a ship he thought he'd never see again - The Belle of Manassas.

To a Union boy, that meant Bull Run, the first battle of which was the first major combat of the war. Benjamin hadn't been there, but a certain slave-owning Virginian by the name and rank of Commander Francis Matthews had been. He'd earned a reputation throughout the war for cruel and unusual treatment of Union prisoners, and after the war had dodged prosecution before finding himself a new cesspool to wallow in, the KKK. Benjamin had tried to kill him before, though the poisoning attempt killed his wife rather than Matthews himself. Matthews had fled, narrowly escaping Benjamin's pursuit, and set sail for Brazil to join up with some of his other treasonous comrades. He'd left on his own ship - The Belle of Manassas. Surveying the ship's deck from the dock, he can't help but smile. He did always hate traveling for work.

The boat is commercial, but contains a luxury residence for its owner, and Benjamin spends the greater part of the following few days surveying its comings and goings. Brazil had not yet abolished slavery, and judging by the sheer quantity of crates of coffee being offloaded, Francis Matthews had made a quick return to his old habits. Peering through a monocular at a safe distance, he waits until he confirms Matthews is present before going home to get dressed for the evening. Boots, with accompanying boot knives, trousers, a plain black shirt, a steel breastplate, a mask, and a blue waistcoat to bring the whole outfit together. He stands in front of the mirror, assuming his natural gentlemanly posture, and then puts on his killin' belt. Brown leather, a sheath for a knife, and two holsters for pistols. He only owns the one revolver, but it never hurts to be able to carry another if you "find it just laying on the ground."

Hurrying along darkened alleyways and generally making himself as inconspicuous as possible, he makes his way to the docks. The gangway is still down when he approaches The Belle, guarded by a sentry, a boy probably Benny's age sleepily holding a lantern. Benjamin stumbles towards the ramp, slurring his way through a song, before grabbing unsteadily onto the railing. The act draws the sentry's attention and the boy barks a couple times at Benjamin to get his drunken paws off the handrail and go home before he comes down to take further action. His left hand reaches out to shove Benjamin away and it never touches him. Before he can, a jab to the throat fractures his larynx, Benjamin seizes the lantern and tosses it into the water, and Benjamin bashes his head onto the guardrail before pushing him over it and into the harbor with a splash.

Were someone able to see into the boat from outside, they would be struck with horror. For the next few minutes, Benjamin is more akin to a particularly silent and freakishly predatory gorilla than a man as he stalks up and down the vessel's corridors and cargo bay. There are no other men awake at this hour, thinking themselves safe in London's harbor, and as he moves along the crew quarters he leaves behind a trail of dead and dying crewmen until he finds the right doorway. Finding it locked, he draws his revolver and then politely knocks on it three times. "Mister Matthews, sir!" He calls out, then knocks again. He is answered shortly by a sleepy looking man in his fifties, and they both recognize each other the moment the door opens.

"You!"

"Me."

The revolver rings out and Matthews' left knee explodes, and Benjamin lurches into the room before shutting the door and locking it behind him, affording himself the privacy of finishing the job. Cleansing a man of his sins can take a long time, especially if they are many.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
London Evening Standard, Vol. 3, Issue 47

TSAR ALEXANDER II OF RUSSIA CONCLUDES STATE VISIT TO LONDON

NEGOTIATIONS UNDERWAY TO CONCLUDE THIRD ASHANTI WAR

BRAZILIAN MERCHANTMAN DOWN IN FLAMES WITH NO SURVIVORS AFTER COAL EXPLOSION

GENERAL POST OFFICE ANNOUNCES BRONZE POST BOXES TO BE PAINTED RED

A miasma of sweat, tobacco, and just a touch of blood hung heavy and thick in the basement air. The room was lopsided and hexagonal, seemingly intended for some greater purpose by the Catholics who built then abandoned the church above them. Small lanterns were hung around most of the walls, casting long, dancing shadows across the room. Bags of stolen manure were built into a circle in the center of the room. They carved out a sandy pit - the setting of the main attraction.

Mary was smoking in one of the further corners from the stairs. Her eyes stung in the putrid air and she was resisting the urge to cough; in her experience, once she began coughing in this terrible place, the tickle in her throat wouldn’t leave her until she herself left the premises. The smoke of her own pipe was a welcome relief from the poison around her.

Mary was standing in front of a woman, her friend, in some bastardized sense of the word. She was minutes from watching the idiot throw herself into the bloodied sand for coin hardly worth as much as the piss stained floorboards.

“You’re going to perform wonderfully, dearie,” Mary said, patting Astrid on the shoulder. “How are you feeling about the brute you’re tasked with knocking teeth from today? Well, I hope.”
Mary
held every confidence in Astrid’s ability to swiftly end the confrontation; she’d been representing her in these circles for nearly a pair of fortnights, now. She’d never have picked a fight that Astrid was not more than capable of handling.

Still, the brutish woman - Eliza or Isabella or some such nonsense - was perhaps the meanest looking of any that Mary had seen Astrid been propositioned against to date. Truthfully, it was a wonder the royals hadn’t picked her off the street and simply begged her to join their awful ranks. Four good teeth was presumably plenty for the likes of the Queen, in Mary’s estimation.

Astrid’s thousand-yard stare lingered just past the other woman’s shoulder, sizing up her next opponent. Mouth slightly ajar, held open by focus and the imposition of something foreign: a bundle of now-damp wool to protect her teeth. Eyes empty, like an animal. Fists already bawled, twitching for release. Cheeks red with drink and adrenaline riddled-blood.

She looked strung out - or maybe worse, hungry.

Well,” Astrid replied after one moment’s wait and a second to dig the wool out of her mouth with tape-stiffened fingers. Mimicking Mary’s tone lightly.

“I reckon I may get my throat knocked into my arsehole,” The woman thought to laugh, to break her beam, but wouldn’t dare; not now that her competitor had finally met her gaze, indubitably having felt Astrid bore into her from across the ring. “Nothin’ I don’t deserve; you got bread on Frankenstein over there just in case?” She jerked her chin across the way pointedly, watching in her peripheral as the last brawl dissipated and the stained sand was raked; blood raked into dilution rather than away.

The ladies loved a show, but they weren’t much for pageantry; and Astrid had been around long enough to know what came next. She’d stand from her perch when her name was called, make her way down the stairs, and she wouldn’t stop until she was shaking Eliza-bella-beth’s hand as the first bell rang. The lout wouldn’t truly stop moving again until she’d either been ground into a puddle, or had her bloodied fist raised in the air in victory. –And on nights like these, she secretly didn't much mind the outcome.

The woman was a cobbler that Astrid had been out drinking with in the past and should have been able to name, was shifting uncomfortably in her own oafish preening, puffing up like a dog defending its territory. It was apparent, even from afar, that she didn’t like the attention.

Astrid, however, loved it. She loved the theatrics, the brutality, and the gore that was becoming more and more commonplace in the ring. O’Malley had become known to the other women for two things: First and foremost, she put on a show; often to Mary’s ire and optimistically, for her entertainment especially. Secondly, she didn’t stop swinging until the bell rang or the world went black. Even spectating meant finely tailored waistcoats and expensive gin in a crystal glass. Competing and - god forbid - winning, meant bloody forehead kisses, hurling herself forward on all fours, stealing drinks from onlookers, or singing her own bastardizations of hymns into the far corners of the basement when she had the air in her lungs to do so. Adversaries were never starved for a reason to rock her shit. Popular and unpopular at the same time; but on a winning streak since bringing on her lovely new manager.

At one point, they could say that they were boxing. These days, they couldn’t be so concise.

“Would a line of drivel be a bit too far?” Astrid bantered, Frankie’s palpable discomfort at her leering like cold water to a parched throat. Standing at the top of the stairs as her moniker rang out over the crowd, Astrid felt hefty and substantial; but as she made her way down to the ring and had to crane her neck upwards to keep the lock of their eyes, her overconfidence should’ve waned. She only made it as far as reckoning that it was hard to punch a face you could barely reach.

The consequential recollection of Bruce’s existence made her stomach churn with finality, guilt, and regret - homogeneous and confusing; and the discomfort hastened her pace.

“Please, dear, quell the dramatics,” Mary called out as Astrid descended into the ring. She followed her to the edge of the stairs to watch her descend. “Careful not to trip, love. The sand looks a tad over-clumped today and I don’t particularly care for the idea of raking you up with the blood.”

She smiled from above her wonderful idiot. Her brutish opponent was standing opposite her and appeared to be grunting to herself. From this distance, Mary could discern that her hair was matted against the sides of her head, as if water hadn’t touched her body in weeks. Her shoulders rose and fell in a jagged, arrhythmic threat. She appeared quite vicious. “Best of luck, my dear!” Mary shouted to Astrid. She hoped that her fighter would not need it.

She would surely be fine.

Mary took a few steps backward but kept a full view of the pit. The Royal Brute’s angst had Mary a touch on edge. Had Astrid offended her in some manner? Mary knew it bothered the woman to report her comings and goings, but if she prompted homicidal rage in her opponents before their fights, her chances of coming out with all of her teeth were slimmer than she cared for.

Mary’s attention was pulled to her right as the announcers raised the dented old cowbell that marked the beginning. "Tear the woman’s throat out, Astrid," Mary mumbled to herself as the clang echoed across the basement.

Astrid blew a kiss in Mary’s direction at her well wishes, head craning up to meet the other’s eyes again as they leaned forward to shake hands. She dipped into the graceful, balanced curtsy of a woman coached as the bell rang, earning herself the first, swing A rounded, whopping knock to her temple as the taller woman lurched forward. Stupid, but scrappy, Astrid fought through the painful jostling sensation in her head to take the woman’s reset as an opening, sending her fist sailing upward blindly.

The landing of knuckles to chin in a nasty, lucky, uppercut felt nearly as good as getting hit in the first place. With this, Astrid knew there was no more time for theatrics; her opponent had made it clear that she wouldn’t allow her the time or space for such frivolity.

So Astrid swung - leaning into the agility she had over the larger woman - bobbing left and right to dodge a couple more wild, characteristically frustrated swings after Astrid had levied her right fist into the space between the woman’s side and middle back. Shelly had shown her where the kidneys were. Having a doctor around has its perks. Astrid shuffled backwards to withdraw from the woman, shifting the bundle of wool in her mouth and adjusting her suspenders to sit squarely over her shoulders.

As the Royal Brute charged forward again, a strange, unfitting grin pulling her mouth taut, Astrid squared her feet and raised her fists once more, poising to swing and consequently miss as the woman ducked low to pick Astrid up by her middle and slam her into the ground beneath her. Her world swam as she suddenly saw the ceiling, and then spots of black.

Christ,” Mary gasped, rolling her eyes as she watched Astrid’s head get slammed far harder than was safe. The brute was faster and quite a bit stronger than Mary had given her credit for. It was a, uh, minor miscalculation. Truthfully, were it anyone else on the receiving end of that slam, Mary would be half convinced they were already dead.

Luckily, Mary’s idiot was not just any idiot off the street. Mary turned to the cowbell-holding woman and shook her head. “Not yet, dear,” she smiled. Astrid had bounced back from worse hits.

After a moment of floundering, the other woman’s forearm pressed firmly across Astrid’s throat, fists swimming aimlessly through the air refined themselves. Slowly, her pawing came to resemble punches once more - to the other’s ribs and then ears. Astrid writhed for air before landing one solid crack to the brute’s jaw. The give beneath her knuckles reminded her of - lovingly - knocking out a couple of Helena’s teeth. Astrid couldn’t discern if the fluttering in her chest came from the memory of her dear friend or the surge of oxygen back into her lungs as the woman sat up to clutch her jaw with one hand. The grand exodus of air from her body on landing was still very fresh as Astrid sputtered and gagged.

The reprieve was short lived as the woman made good use of her free hand, landing two sand-grinding punches to Astrid’s face before she finally caught her wrist.

Mary’s eyes went wide. Perhaps this Eliza-ish woman was beyond the scope of Astrid’s current capabilities. Mary turned to the cowbell holder and shrugged. There would always be the next fight.

The brute adjusted quickly and would land one more, earth-rattling shock to Astrid’s skull; but she’d already found her opening. Vision blurred by blood and pain, Astrid sent one last fist into the hinge of the woman’s jaw, breaking it. Mouth knocked permanently ajar in an awkward sneer and sinuses disrupted light-headed dizziness, Goliath was falling.

The thunderous crack of breaking bone snapped Mary’s attention back to the pit. Astrid had, seemingly miraculously, turned the fight around in a single motion. Incredible. This was the woman she’d relied on in the gang so often. Wonderful! Absolutely wonderful! Mary briefly turned back to the cowbell woman to give her a wink before skipping over to the edge of the pit.

“Wonderful, dearie, truly wonderful!” Mary shouted to Astrid as the announcer began to toll the bell marking the fight’s sudden end. “I maintained steadfast faith in you throughout the entire ordeal, even while being pummeled into the filthy sand.” She smiled and reached her arm down to offer Astrid help up.

Astrid coughed, nodding, happy to accept Mary’s aid in getting back onto her feet.

“I-..” An audible, gurgling churn came from the depths of Astrid’s stomach as she opened her mouth to speak, souring her attempt to grin through the hazy pounding in her head. The woman clamped her jaws shut in protest; this feature of her body shining with a new novelty and she swallowed hard to keep her insides inside of her.

The two women paused, looking at each other in an anticipatory silence, letting the moment hang in the air as Astrid took another deep breath. When Astrid was satisfied with the quiet in her stomach, she grinned again, stifling a chuckle as she opened her mouth to tell Mary that she’d been winning all along.

–And immediately doubled over to empty her gut into the sand in a gratuitous splatter.

“Splendid,” Mary grimaced, “Dinner and a show, I see.” She cleared her throat and rubbed the bile stench from her eyes but kept her arm extended.

“Find me a real fight, next time,” Astrid shot at the ground, amid another gag.

“Dear, I do believe that was the first real fight you’ve had since we began this peculiar little side project.”

It had been several weeks since Bruce’s punishment, and Ella had managed to keep herself plenty busy. She had booked a few shows, though none paid as well as she would have liked. Still, it was nice being able to perform again. Ella always seemed to forget how much she loved to sing- it was something she never got to do a lot of, especially with being a part of the gang.

Eleanor hadn’t been to very many places in the last few weeks. She’d tried her best to stay away from the pub after that night. But it seemed that was going to have to change. Ella’s forehead creased in worry as she searched the cafe floor. She had performed there a few days prior, and that was the day she had noticed it missing. To her dismay though, the gold locket was nowhere in sight.

It had to be here.

She wanted to believe it was here anyway. But this was the last place she had checked since realizing it was missing. Ella had even gone as far as to retrace her steps along the pavement. It wouldn’t be a big deal if a stranger found it, of course. She could live with some random passerby believing they had found a stolen heirloom of the Bennetts.

The locket had been a gift from her father for her 17th birthday. Her mother had gushed about the gift as she told Ella of ideas she had had. Ella had been disappointed to hear all her mother's ideas had revolved around her daughter's fiance. She had kept the locket safe and waited until Henry’s birthday when she suggested they take a photo together for her locket. She was sure her parents were disappointed in her, but the idea had made Henry happy, and that’s all that mattered.

And now her precious locket was missing. And there was only one more place it could be. Eleanor prayed it was on the ground under the gang's booth and not in the twins' hands right now. Having finally given up searching the cafe floor, Ella thanked the staff before exiting into the busy streets. She looked around before spotting a familiar redhead and his sheepdog walking through the crowd.

Bennet! Alfie! It’s lovely to see you two!”

Benny jumped at the voice, fumbling his next catch and causing the spoons to scatter noisily onto the cobbled road. Alfie skittered away as one fell squarely onto his back, but turned curiously to sniff at the familiar girl.

Bloody hell.” The boy wined before turning to meet the happy voice.

Ella quick! Do ye know how ta juggle?” He grabbed her shoulders, looking her in the eye as if it were a life-or-death question.

“Why would I need to know how to juggle Benny? Eleanor stared at the Irishman in bewilderment. She looked down at the spoons that now littered the streets before bending down to pat Alfie on the head.

He shrugged, giving her a last desperate look before sighing.

“S’alright then, I’ll figure it out later.”

“Actually Benny, I have a favor to ask.”She paused for a moment as she chose her next words carefully. “I have lost something quite important to me. Would you mind helping me look?” Another pause, “I think it’s at the pub.”

Benny paused in the middle of picking up his spoons and gave Ella a look.

“What kinda lost are we talkin’? Ye lost it in a bet er ye actually lost it? Just gotta know ‘n case we’re gettin in a fight.” Grabbing the last spoon near Ella’s feet, he popped up and tapped her with it.

“No no, don’t tell me. I wanna find out fer myself, let’s go!”
———————-

As the trio neared the pub, Benny placed Alfie just outside of the neighboring building before heading in. He hardly had to look around to notice a familiar tangle of red hair at the far side of the room.

“Ye didn’t tell me we were fightin’ Conor! I’d gladly help ye, Ella, but if the twins find out we’re done for!” He watched the man closely, then gave Ella a sideways glance.

“I’ll lead ‘em away from the pub and you come out n’ give ‘em what for, ‘kay?”

Eleanor’s eyes followed Benny’s gaze towards Conor. Perhaps he had seen it lying around, he was here almost as often as the twins. Though Ella supposed they did live at the pub, it would only make sense they were constantly there.

Bennet, we’re not here to fight Conor, remember?” Ella tapped Benny lightly on the shoulder before walking up to Conor.

Hello Conor, I am very sorry to bother you, but…” she picked over her words carefully, “...would you happen to have seen a locket around here? It’s shaped like a heart.”

Conor turned, a glum look on his face. It was the kind of expression that said, “I swear, if I get interrupted while I’m trying to have a drink one more time, I’m going to do things that would be worth writing pub songs about.” He brightened a bit, when he saw who was addressing him.

“Ella,” Conor replied before taking another sip from his glass. He was quite pleased with himself; he hadn’t choked on the drink this time. “A locket? Like a golden one?”

He reached into his vest pocket and produced a small piece of jewelry. It was still a bit mud-stained, despite Conor’s efforts to clean it, but it was a pretty thing. “Yeah, I found it when I got in today. I didn’t know it was a locket, though. I thought it was just a necklace.”

Conor
began to feel around the locket with his fingertips. “How would you even get this—”

It opened.

Eleanor’s heart swelled with glee at the sight of her precious locket in Conor’s hands. She reached for the locket, “Thank you, Con-” Her hand dropped to her side.

He opened it.

A part of her wanted to snatch the jewelry from his hands- she had every right to. But she was frozen in place, simply watching as Conor examined what was inside the locket. Surely she could explain herself? She had found it on the streets and grew fond of the family inside. Perhaps he wouldn’t recognise her, it had been years since the photograph was taken. Of all the things Ella wanted to do at this moment, all she could say was one incriminating sentence.

“I can explain.

Benny reached around Ella, straining to see what Conor what looking at.

“What is it? What is it? Ohhhh does Ella have a secret lover?” He glanced at his cohort with a devilish smile, nudging her on the arm.

“Why didn’t ye tell me? Can’t wait ta meet him. Promise I won’t be too harsh on the lad.” He winked at her before turning back to Conor. He wasn’t smiling. Neither was Ella.

“Wh-what is it?”

Conor ignored Benny, for once unable to spare a stone of annoyance to throw his way. His gaze remained fixed on Ella, as if he was expecting her to start laughing and teasing him about how easily he’d fallen for such an obvious prank. It had to be a prank, right? There was no way Ella could—that she was—

No. His resistance crumbled like firewood, launching angry sparks to join the stars. The girl in the photograph, the one with the fancy dress and the styled hair and the impeccable makeup, she’d stepped out of the locket and was now standing in front of him. But who was the boy posing next to her? Did it matter? God, how could he be so stupid? The ease with which Ella had always slipped into aristocratic settings, the way she moved and spoke and existed like it was all so natural — everything Conor had appreciated and admired and envied about the woman now felt like tinder inside him.

Conor’s hand, still clutching the locket, trembled as it drooped down slightly, giving Benny an angle to see its contents. She’d been laughing at them the whole time, hadn’t she? Pretending to be one of them, acting as if she shared their anger as if it were a meal and then spitting it into her napkin as soon as she was alone. She wouldn’t be laughing, once the others found out. The sisters, they’d—

They would…

The locket lid closed with a snap as Conor’s hand tightened into a fist. He shoved the locket into Ella’s own hand, his movement so quick one might have thought the thing was a burning coal. “You throw that way,” he hissed lowly, pointing a finger at her. “And we all—” he glanced at benny for the first time “—all of us—forget what we saw.”

Benny’s eyes dropped with the locket, having a much harder time understanding what the picture was supposed to be upside down. He adjusted his view as he moved next to Conor, and his eyes lit up with horror.

“Ain’t that the fancy rich family that died? Ella were… ye weren’t…” In similar fashion as Conor, the young gang member glanced between the girl in the photo and the woman in front of him.

“What the hell? What the actual hell?” His voice was hardly a whisper as he adjusted his posture. All he could do was look to Ella now. There was a misunderstanding. There had to be.

Ella flinched as the locket was shoved into her hands. She maintained her composure as the two irishmen processed what they had seen. There truly was no denying who the girl in the photo was, she was foolish to believe otherwise.

“Eleanor Bennett!” She blurted the name out before the two could say anything else. “My name is Eleanor Bennett. My family died five years ago- everyone thought I did too but…I didn’t.” She wished she had, though she didn’t say it out loud. “This was the last photo of my family- it was Henry’s birthday.” Ella wasn’t sure what she was saying anymore. She just wanted the two to understand, she hoped they would understand.

“I didn’t tell anyone who I was. I wanted to start over…” Tears burned the corner of her eyes but she refused to let them go. Crying wasn’t going to do her any good right now. “I should have told someone, but who was going to believe me?”

“Please understand…”
She added in a much quieter voice.

Conor remained silent, though the quiet felt heavier somehow. Why couldn’t he have just left the locket by the far booth where he’d found it? He could have gone on being fooled. It wouldn’t have been that bad, all things considered.

He lowered his gaze. If Ella Eleanor Bennett — was telling the truth, then maybe they could spare some sympathy. But they’d already seen how good the woman was at lying, Conor reminded himself. And you could never trust rich blood to spill red.

And yet…

“You lied to us,” Conor said. It hurt to speak. But it also hurt to be silent. “I thought—I mean, we ain’t gotta tell everyone everythin’, but that—ye were just actin’ the whole time, were ye? After all th—”

He stopped, unable, once again, to get the right words flowing. He looked to Benny in desperation, hoping he could say something, anything, anything worthwhile.

For the second time that month Benny felt the sharp knife of betrayal. He’d expected it from Astrid, Helena and Mary… but Ella? He met Conor’s gaze with a somber one and clenched his jaw.

“Nobody else knows then? Not the twins, not Brucie… nobody?”

Astrid does…”Ella replied softly.

“Astrid does.” He repeated, smiling in exasperation.

“No, right, makes sense, all that. Astrid ‘n you’ve always been so close anyways, so… yea. ‘Course she does.” Benny couldn’t remember the last time the two girls had had a proper conversation. It seemed they had more in common then he had first suspected.

He stepped up to Ella, his nose just inches from hers. He’d never dreamt of threatening her like that… but he’d never dreamt of her making a fool of them either.

“Never thought someone could fall further than the rest of us. Can’t promise nobody won’t hear o’ this.” He regretted it as soon as it left his mouth. He wouldn’t tell anyone on purpose, especially not the twins, but it couldn’t hurt to scare her a bit. No, his anger was justified. It always was.

Ella stood quietly, letting the two take out their frustrations on her. It was comforting in a way, knowing the nights she faced her fathers' drunken wrath had helped in some way- her mother would be pleased.

The two men before her had every right to be angry. She had been lying to the gang for a very long time, it was bound to catch up to her eventually. “Nothing good lasts forever” or so her father would say.

“I understand,” she said at last. “I hope you will be able to understand that even though I came from wealth, I don’t have that anymore. I haven’t in five years.” Ella kept her eyes trained on the two, not once breaking eye contact.

“Heaven knows if I had the money, we wouldn’t be struggling.” She would have made sure her new family was comfortable, that they all had a place to stay and guarantee of food. “I’ll be taking my leave now. Goodbye Bennet, Conor.” Eleanor didn’t wait for a reply before exiting the pub. Only when she was outside did her composure slip. With shaky hands, Ella slipped the locket around her neck once again, making sure it was tucked securely under her clothes before walking down the pavement towards her flat.

Conor sighed, feeling somehow weaker as he exhaled, as if the fire in his chest suddenly ran out of fuel. He’d been surprised by Ella’s final words; she hadn’t cried or begged, like he was expecting. Like he would have done. Like he did, once.

He glanced back toward the bar, then shook his head. He needed the money to buy dinner.

Instead he swiped his hat off the table, leaving a few coins in its place, and pulled it low over his brow. “I’m goin’,” he told Benny. “You should get out of here too, alright? Go play with yer dog or somethin’.

“And
Benny,” Conor added, not meeting the lad’s eyes, “if you slip a word of this to any o’the others, even on accident, I’ll…”

He sighed again. The last few embers went out. “You know what they’d do.”

Conor
stepped outside and started walking.

Benny didn’t say a word as Conor left. In fact, it felt as if he didn’t move from that spot for days. How could Ella lie to them so easily? Her of all people….

“Miles,” he called over to the man who glanced up with mild annoyance, “I’d take yer strongest ale if ye don’t mind.”

“Well…er… aren’t you a kid, Benn-” He stopped short, noticing the somber expression on the boy’s face.

“Yeesh. I’ll give you one, kid, but that’s it.” Like Conor, Benny began to feel his anger burning out. It bubbled up instead as nasty betrayal, and he hardly had the energy to correct Miles on his age. Wanting to lay down, he set his head on the table, a bit too hard. A loud thunk reverberated around the bar, and Benny groaned dramatically.

Miles, have ye ever just felt… bad?” The bartender gave him a look as he cleaned out a cup.

“Every day I work, kid.” Benny groaned again at the response he was not looking to get.

“No, I mean bad. In a way yer chest is all tight and ye feel… bad.” Benny’s head remained on the table, and he heard a loud sigh.

“Look kid-”

“I ain’t a kid.”

“Alright… uh, Bennet. I don’t know what went on between you three over there but I do know you all are quite the tight knit group. I’ve helped plenty of your buddies right where you’re sittin’, especially that big ol’ brute.

“Brucie.”

“Yea, Brucie. He’s the toughest fella I’ve seen walk through these doors in a long while, and every time he’s feelin’ down he seems to be right as rain the next day or so. Here’s your drink.” At the sound of glass hitting wood, Benny finally peaked his head up.

“You’ll be alright. Give it time.” The young gang member nodded before taking a swig.

“Yer pretty smart fer a drink pourer.” It was meant to be a compliment, but Miles’s smile dropped and he rolled his eyes.

“Finish your drink and get outta here.”

Bruce made his way down the winding streets of London at a brisk pace. The brute had a sour expression on his face, staring down anyone who dared pass him by on the busy streets should they slow his pace even moderately. Still, he wasn’t bashing in skulls yet, so he was doing better than usual. Regardless, today wouldn’t afford him the luxury of testing the mettle of the fine people of England’s capital. He had a quest in mind for himself and – probably – one of the only in Queensway he’d trust not to spill any secrets. Well, mostly anyway.

Bruce McIntosh barged into the Queensway pub and scoured the room for the face he wished to see. At first, it turned up empty, and Bruce feared he may be out of luck. But eventually his eyes locked onto none other than Conor Murphy, sitting by his lonesome at the bar, nursing a drink. With his goal set, Bruce closed the distance and rested his elbow on the bartop beside the Irishman.

Murphy! Need a hand. Your schedule’s cleared up,” He spoke quickly and patted Conor on the back a few times. “Finish your drink. We’ve a debt to collect.”

Conor coughed violently, nearly choking on his whiskey as his name was called. Did none of the other gang members have any sense of privacy? What happened to laying low? Maybe he could ask the siblings to let him take a vacation to somewhere less stressful. Like a warzone.

Still, Bruce was certainly a more welcome sight than many of Conor’s colleagues. And the Scot was practically the twins’ right-hand-man — even if they gave him a sore thrashing. Conor couldn’t just brush him off, even if he had the inclination to.

Conor downed what remained of his drink and tossed a couple of coins to Miles. “Done,” he said.Helena an’ Mary want us to handle something?”

“Sure,” Bruce answered, believing that would hold Conor over for the time being. “This is time sensitive. Got your iron on you? Or we need to make a stop to get you something to shoot with?” Bruce was already on the move, simply assuming the Irishman would follow along. Sure, Bruce was on a track for redemption, trying his best to stay his hand from harming those undeserving. But everyone in London knew the big Scot couldn’t keep things stealthy for the life of him. If he was fired upon, he wouldn’t sit by and wait for them to close the distance. They turned South onto Queens Way once they stepped out onto the road, Bruce forcing his way through the bustling city folk.

Conor cringed, glancing around to make sure no one had heard. If one of the handful of patrons in the pub had been listening in, they didn’t show it. The regulars knew to keep their heads down and their ears closed.

“Sure,” Conor said in a low voice, trying to signal to Bruce that he should do the same. He patted the left side of his vest. “I’ve got it here.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Why? Should I expect to be usin’ it?”

Bruce, responding as if he had not understood Conor’s sly signal whatsoever said, “Maybe just for show, but I’d keep it loaded all the same. Never know how card’folk are, always crafty and lookin’ to blame people for whatever. Bullets tend to fly around me, so watch your head.”

On the way, he continued. “We’re lookin’ to catch one of them Frenchmen ‘fore he leaves on a boat back to his wine and piss villa. Think his name was Guillame. Stole a few stacks off me. I swear he had a card under his sleeve, or ten. No one’s that lucky.” Bruce grumbled something under his breath before continuing at full volume. “I’da made him eat his own teeth if he didn’t have his goons huddling around him. But now’s our chance to steal it back. You’ve got sleight of hand, yeah? Good with coppin’ shit?”

Conor stopped suddenly, and not just because Bruce’s voice seemed, to his ears, to boom through the pub, each syllable spoken like a cannonball blast. “Pardon,” he interjected, “am I stickin’ my neck out so you can swipe your farlings back?”

Conor
wondered if the rest of his companions were as eager to drag someone into their schemes as Bruce and Benny were, or if Conor just constantly seemed like he had nothing else to do. It was funny; he’d spent most of his life learning how to be invisible, and now he struggled to escape attention.

It was not an entirely unpleasant change.

“I’ll still do it,” Conor added quickly. “Although I’m not the best at pickpocketin’. Usually I just grab stuff and run away. But c’mon, mate — you know what the twins said.”

Conor
winced, realizing how that sounded. “Not that — of course you do. You know what you’re doing. Sorry.”

Bruce looked over at the Irishman with a furrowed brow. If the brute had a thought about what Conor had said, he didn’t voice it. Instead, McIntosh responded to the other parts of his speech. “Grabbing stuff and running away is exactly what I need. And believe it or not, gangs stick together, Murphy. You scratch my back, I scratch yours. Never know when you’ll want a favor from me in return, eh?”

The Scot
continued walking, with Bruce trying to hide his limp more so than before. Even if his head pounded and his ribs ached, he’d do everything in his power to keep from looking weak or beaten. It seldom mattered around someone as smart as Conor, though. He knew better than to ask if Bruce was feeling alright. Bruce was always feeling alright. Even when he wasn’t.

“I’m going to talk to the pig and keep him occupied. You flounder by ‘im, steal the goods, and get moving. I’ll keep his attention a bit longer to give you plenty of time before I leave him be. He’s got little time ‘til his boat leaves for the mainland, not enough for him to track us down and steal back the money. Sound like a plan?”

Conor hesitated. About a half-dozen questions sprung to mind, but he’d grown accustomed to shutting those down by now. Besides, the plan seemed perfectly solid to him. Bruce had clearly picked up some tactical pointers from their bosses. And he was right — the idea behind a gang was that its members would back each other up.

At least, most of the time. When they weren’t shooting each other or forcing each other to drink devil-knows-what. But it was as close to a good deal as Conor was going to get, at least for now.

“Sure,” Conor agreed. “I’ll be in and out before you can say ‘bastard sheep.’"

The Scottish and Irish ambassadors to England marched down the filthy streets of London towards the docks, intent on meeting with the Emperor of France for a deep conversation about the economy of their respective countries. France, having stolen a large stockpile of the Scottish treasury, was to be rewarded with due process; rightfully, getting the fucking money stolen back.

Bruce guided his colleague to the ship of interest - the Duke of Bronte, a monstrous sort that rested quietly along the pier. Upon sighting the vessel, Bruce turned due-East on intercept trajectory. The big Scot knew where the boat was, and knew where the Frenchman would be coming from; he was bound to run into Guillame eventually.

And the eventuality happened. The moment the two rival card players noticed one another, there was a standoff of stares. There was no doubt in Bruce’s mind that the fish wondered if Bruce was here to kill the man. If it were a particularly bad day for Bruce, he may have. But not now. He was trying, at least.

He mentioned not a word to Conor. The hope was his companion knew to simply bypass and find a way around. Keep from looking like they were together and instead just heading in the same direction.

“Leaving already?” Bruce asked, taking a look back at the ship he tried to pretend wasn’t the reason he was there. “Thought you had a few more days doing business ‘n whatever the French do nowadays. Need to make good trade deals for your next Emperor, yeah?”

Guillaume’s face contorted into some mix of annoyance and anger. “Haven’t you lost enough money, drunk? Hunting me down to donate to my charity further? Or have you come to try and take back what’s rightfully mine? Tsk tsk, Bruce. I know you’re dumb, but can’t you count to three?”

The trio of armed men traveling alongside him stepped forward, clearly prepared should Bruce try and attack the merchant. Fatally, Guillaume’s back was completely uncovered, for the threat was in the front. Conor could not ask for a better chance to nab the pouch dangling from Guillaume’s waist.

Conor eyed the target. He’d been inching around the perimeter of the group. The mark’s thugs had hardly given him a glance, apparently considering Bruce the primary threat. Which, to be fair, was likely true. But he wasn’t the only threat.

He darted forward, drawing his knife from his pants pocket with a fluid motion and using it to cut Guillaume’s pursestrings. The pouch fell with a satisfying weight into his outstretched hand.

“Thanks!” Conor yelled, turning to run.

The weight freeing from his hip and the snarky comment from behind Guillaume caused the Frenchman to turn around, eying the young Irishman who’d just made off with his earnings. Without another thought, Guillaume opened his mouth to shout profanities while chasing down Conor. The bodyguards turned as well, only now noticing their boss had been robbed. Two raised their guns, unable to get a decent shot on Conor through the dense crowd. The third began chasing after him alongside Guillaume, though their grace and speed had no match for the little Irish bastard.

By the time Conor had disappeared into the crowd, the two remaining bodyguards looked towards Bruce, only to find that - for once in his life - Bruce had managed to leave the scene as well without a single drop of blood.

Bruce had stayed at the docks, out of sight, making sure the pathetic French bastard returned to his ship without a copper to his name. He watched the Duke of Bronte leave harbor and smiled as its wake soon faded from view. Bruce then made his way back to the pub, where Conor no doubt had returned after their antics. It was only a small bit of fun, but it was good to be back to enjoying things.

Upon entering the Queensway pub, Bruce sat at the bar next to his accomplice. He waved his hand at Miles, no doubt a gesture to fetch his drink of choice. “Fucking excellent work, Conor. Knew you were the right man for the job. A right saint, you are.” He downed the first gin handed to him and immediately hit the table for a refill. “I needed this today. Even if it was a result of me getting swindled. Hell, I don’t even gamble. Just needed to get my mind off my wench, and it got me robbed blind.”

Conor shrugged, hiding a thin smile behind his raised glass — refilled a couple of times by now, thanks to Miles. “Eh, it was a mighty craic. ‘sides, it was nice to pull off something that didn’t mean, uh, a more complicated plan.”

He eyed Bruce carefully, trying to gauge the other man’s mental state. Part of him still half-expected him to drop dead from…whatever it was Astrid had made him drink. But he worried asking about it would ruin Bruce’s good temper.

Instead, Conor nodded to a pouch on the bar. “It’s all yours, mate. It’s the least you deserve, after…after all.” He caught the last part — the words of comfort a better man would have offered — between his teeth and felt it writhe and die.

It wasn’t the risk of a Bruce-shaped outburst Conor was worried about, he realized suddenly, nor even entirely the discomfort of drinking with a man he’d helped turn into paste. No, it was the reminder that despite the Scot’s unflinching loyalty and good humor, his bosses had treated him little better than a dog that had gotten a bit unruly. Perhaps they all had.

So how long would it take for Conor to blunder and end up crumpled in an alleyway?

He dismissed the thoughts with another raise of his glass, nodded to his friend, and took a sip.

Bruce looked over at the man beside him. Conor was no longer his smooth self, it seemed. The boy tripped over his words more and more with each sentence, something even Bruce was able to take note of. Not that Conor was charisma incarnate, but the lad was better than he was in spoken word. The first action he did was nudge the coin pouch in Conor’s direction.

“Money’s all yours, Murphy. My way to repay you for having my back. Really didn’t care about getting it for m’sel, but I’d be damned if I were to let a Frenchman run off with my money.” Bruce took a sip before turning in his chair, resting his elbow on the bar and continuing.

“What’s gotten into you, Murphy? You afraid you’re next on the chopping block? You’re nowhere near my level of depravity, friend. You’ve got a head on your shoulders and that’s more than I have. You’re also smart. You wouldn’t make the kind of blunders I have to spark the ire of the Sisters. Maybe one of these days I’ll get hit just right and it’ll knock my brain into a functioning state.” Bruce’s words were light and airy, like they were having a simple talk about the weather. Just a state of the world they resided in; when you lived in London, you had to deal with Bruce’s throes eventually.

Of course, the mere mention of the beatdown had flashes of the O’Malley girl running through his head, the same place a familiar aching resided. Memories of more than one night flooded his mind. Lots of pain, lots of emotions. All in all, Bruce probably would’ve gotten in less strange circumstances had he just aimed a little higher and hit her square between the eyes.

Conor flinched, looking at the other man as if he had suddenly grown a second head that was spouting prophecies. “Naw, it’s nothing like that,” he lied, tapping his fingers against the bag of coins. “Well, perhaps a bit. I’m not quite as tough as you, I suppose.”

He pried open the money pouch and extracted a few coins, eager for an excuse to change the subject. “Anyhow, I figure as long as you’re bein’ generous and all, least I could do is buy you the next round.” Conor waved to Miles, realized the bartender’s back was turned, then sat in silence for a few excruciatingly embarrassing moments before managing to clear his throat loudly enough to get his attention.

Bruce smiled wide, simply reveling in the awkwardness Conor had wrought. He just found it fun to watch the lad squirm a bit. When Miles finally noticed and took to refilling their drinks, Bruce clapped Conor on the back once. “You’re alright, Murphy.”

Astrid awoke with a start; sluggish and disoriented in a strange pub, in a strange part of town. Plastered to the table by ale and drool. She wore one of her old dresses, from her mother’s house. Handsome and devoid of frills, yet still, denoting too high a class for a woman of her current position. The layers were still wet from the torrential rain that afternoon, but had warmed back to her skin in her slumber. The moist warmth in them felt stale, as though she’d pissed herself some time ago.

She checked. She hadn’t.

Thank the baby Christ.

“What’s the fuckin’ hour?” Astrid
shouted to no one in particular, the words ripping from her chest with a wet fervor that surprised every set of ears in attendance; even her own. She’d put herself in yet another terrible situation; a lone woman in fine clothing, sloshed and napping among strangers. It was safest to make herself an undesirable target. Few fucked with fucked up.

A few voices
chimed in to answer her query, but only one could be made out with a, “It’s twentyeleven of tomorrow, you drunk cow!” She figured, with pleasant resignation, that they were all in worse shape than herself. Standing, she sloshed the last of a nearby pint, hopefully hers, down the back of her throat and cracked on, her feet still feeling as disconnected as her voice did. Clumsy, like she was shuffling through mud. Head light, as though she were trapped in an out of body experience.

On second thought, maybe she shouldn’t have finished that drink.

The woman’s memory of that morning was disordinate, but still more sharp than she might’ve liked. She remembered getting caught in the rain, visiting her mother’s house for morning tea, visiting the cemetery, and the sensation of scrubbing her skin raw - but she couldn’t quite decipher which came first. All she knew now, as bare feet padded carefully along dirty city streets, was that she was late.

The visage of the pub; their pub felt like a mirage in the desert. The day was dimming into evening as Astrid made her way inside with an audible sigh of relief, eyes darting around from bar to booth as she searched for Helena to no avail.

Inconvenient, but for reasons beyond her, she didn’t mind. She chatted up the other local fixtures. She felt hungry, so she ate. Memories of the afternoon came back to her, so she drank. She felt mirthful, so she sang. Her feet ached, so she broke into Mary’s room for a pair of boots. Though she’d come to regret each of these decisions, all felt validated in their own way.

As the sky outside grew dark, Astrid longed for a familiar face to appear in the doorway. Not even just Helena, who had accompanied her on many of her errands in the past, but any of them would do.

Astrid had a date to keep, but she couldn’t go alone.

If Benny had known about Astrid’s deep, dark desire to have company (Something he didn’t think was possible), he would’ve claimed himself a psychic. Really, it seemed he just had exceptional timing. Or perhaps Alfie did. The mutt hadn’t been listening to him all day, and as it grew dark the two of them found themselves at the doorstep of the pub, where it seemed they were always led.

“Alfie! Sidown! Ye might as well be an alcoholic at the rate yer draggin’ me here!” Benny hopped over a broken, rusted pipe that had fallen in the middle of the sidewalk, chasing the sheepdog right into the old building. The similarity between now and when he had first found his lifetime best friend was uncanny, but completely lost on the young gang member.

Alfie! Heel! Er, uh, lay down! Just- JUST STOP MOVIN’!” Scurrying around the corner, the two of them stomped loudly onto the wooden floorboards, causing the few patrons that were in the bar to turn in surprise.

“Gotcha!” Alfie yelped in surprise as Benny finally caught onto his scruff. The boy looked up, breathing heavily, to meet the patron’s eyes.

“What are ye lookin’ at?”
It wasn’t until then that he realized Astrid was there. His eyes lit up and he grinned at her, dragging the dog with him until they were sat just across from her.

“Why do ye smell like a barrel o’ giggle juice Astrid? More ‘n usual. Ye look tired. N’ kinda hungover. More n’ usual.”

Astrid stifled a twist of distaste that threatened her features as the young man drew near, eyes keen to drift toward Alfie as his paws shuffled, restless, at their feet. The woman leaned across and scratched at the dog’s ears, nose to nose as she finally spoke to Bennet in hushed tones.

Benny, you look like you could use some extra pocket money,” She cursed the words as they left her lips. “--And you look like my only option.” She ushered the young man to listen closely as she settled back into her side of the booth, finally letting her hands drop from Alfie’s fur. A grave earnestness settled into her eyes.

“I’ve got a job coming in, and it ain’t easy, and it ain’t safe,” She pushed the words from her mouth, forcing herself to settle into the fact that Helena wasn’t coming. –Not in time, at least.

“I’ll give you a cut if you run it with me, but if you were to tell a soul–...” She stopped herself short, her mind wandering back to his tendency to chatter. His tendency to let his mouth run away with him.

Benny smiled, a mischievous glint in his eye. Astrid needed his help?

“Mate, yer lookin’ at London’s most fastest, dangerous and most good lookin’ criminal. ‘Course I’ll help.” He’d forgotten exactly how loud voices seemed to carry, and his exclamation brought a few worried glances their way.

“Er… just a joke, o’ course. Mind yer business.” He waved dismissively at the patrons as he looked Astrid over.

“How much are we talkin’?”

At the feeling of eyes, Astrid felt a wave of sick regret wash over her. Regardless, she didn’t have a choice.

“Enough,” She answered shortly, unsure if she meant to reassure him, or to warn him. “It’ll be enough to think about getting your mutt a gold-plated collar. Enough to think about staying in your bed the next time the Nevitts come calling. –But you aren’t daft enough to do either of those things,” her voice dripped with venom. “Gold, already on me, and in your hands as soon as we deliver the goods.”

“--And a bonus,” She
added, for her own protection - a safeguard for her reputation, “If you keep your grimy little mitts off the latches.” She paused for a moment, clasping her hands on the table before opting to continue for clarity. “It’s… Artwork,” She added. “It’s a trunk full of old artifacts –sensitive to the air or what have you. If you open the trunk, it’ll spoil the colors.” The woman leaned back, watching Benny’s features tentatively. Weighing his usefulness with his curiosity; throat tightening with the mental image of the boy leaned over the opened chest, face contorting in throws of horror and disgust.

“--We’ll have to steal it,” Astrid cut him off before he could speak, interrupting her own uncomfortable silence. “It’s a burgundy trunk coming in on one of the cargo ships. It’s mine, it’s been put there for me, but we’ll have to…” She weighed her words carefully. “Extract it. Sneaky.”

Benny squinted at her, nodding his head in faux understanding.

“Yea, I’m with ye Astrid, but… uh… I can’t swim. How’r we supposed ta get on the ship?”

“That’s what we have to figure out,” Astrid nodded in agreement, a new sense of urgency in her voice as she rose to gather a few extra glasses from the surrounding tables. Her eyebrows furrowed, knitting together tighter and tighter as her arms grew full. It didn’t sit right with her that the young lad couldn’t swim. Not everyone had the opportunity to learn to swim; but still, she didn’t like the way the information weighed on her chest.

“This is the ship,” She started, placing four sticky pints with varying levels of ale in the middle of the table. “And this is the dock,” Her mouth shaped the words slowly as she unscrewed the lid of a salt shaker and ran a long trail of salt from the outer edge of the table, down to the middle along one side of the pints, and made a hard L shape into the side between two glasses. “And these are the entrances,” she concluded, placing a shot glass atop the end of her salt trail, and a second on the opposite side of her faux-boat with a clink.

“I thought we’d take a rowboat to the second door; but if you can’t swim, we’re better off taking the dock. We can either hope the lookout falls asleep, or we can find another reason…” Astrid trailed off, her initial reflection of what strangers might be allowed on a docking ship in the wee hours of the night leaving a sour taste in her mouth. She ran her finger in circles through a patch of salt.

“This,” She started, and then stopped again weighing the words on her tongue carefully. “Isn’t quite as tricky as getting the trunk off the ship.” A chuckle twitched at the corner of her mouth, humorless.

“The way I see it, we only have a couple options,” She interrupted herself, voice flat, opening her mouth to speak again and trailing off. Even her brain felt sluggish; like she knew what she knew, but some of it was missing from her. Held just out of her reach.

“--No,” She started again, “I’ll get us on. The captain is a customer of mine, and I might have a few things stored away to tickle his fancy. –He likes furs.”

Benny scrunched his face.

“That’s disgustin’, Astrid. I don’t need ta know about his “fancy” or what tickles it. How do we get on the boat?”

“We’ll walk right in and smuggle you past in a trunk. I’ll get the furs, I just need you to find a trunk big enough that you can fit in.” She concluded, relieved by the feeling of finality.

Nodding thoughtfully, the young gang member scrutinized the makeshift map Astrid had made.

“Yea, alright. Pretty sure the doc’s got some kinda trunk in that weird office o’ hers. Me n’ Alfie’ll be back before ye know it!” Slipping out of the booth, Benny whistled to a downtrodden Alfie, and the pair made their way out to the streets. If anyone had something for this plan, it’d be the good doctor.
—----------------------------------------

“Ouch! Jesus, Astrid, ye runnin’ over tiny children er somethin’? Take it easy!” The complaint was muffled as the trunk rolled over an uneven path. Benny, who was beginning to realize the mistake of not checking whether or not he’d actually be able to fit comfortably, now sat twisted at an awkward and completely uncomfortable position.

“Are we almost there?”

“I just–... I just need to get ya onto the dock.” Astrid hissed through the effort, heels digging into the weathered slats of wood as she pulled the trunk over the change in terrain with all the strength and weight she could muster. When she’d finally made it, she took a moment to collect herself, tipping the trunk back upright as she tried to even her breaths. Just a few more feet, and they’d be in view of the ship’s nighttime watch –maybe even the keeper of the manifest. –She had to have her head on straight if they were going to pull this off.

When Astrid leaned down to smooth down her dress, all it took was one stray elbow for the odd distribution of weight to cause the trunk to teeter, and ultimately toddle off the side of the dock and into the wake below with a splash.

“Fuck,” Her exclamation, to her own surprise, cut through the quiet of the night as loudly as the splash. Announcing their presence; making her bristle. She paused for a moment, head jerking down the dock to see if anyone was headed their way, gaze met only with the bobbing of the smaller fishing rigs that had the dexterity to dock closer to shore.

Benny couldn’t swim. The latches were fastened shut, and the boy couldn’t even swim.

The realization hit her like a burst of cold water; similar to the sensation of sea water washing over her as she jumped in after him.

Astrid hadn’t been prepared for the trunk to disappear into the water completely, nor had she been ready for the depth of the water. At least six feet, she could only touch the bottom when the tide drew outward, losing her footing completely each time it returned and ragdolled her in the wake. The woman sputtered and coughed between dives, not lending much time to catching her breath before submerging again to grasp about for one of the handles.

When her hand finally caught a firm grip, her luck hadn’t quite run out. A particularly wrathful wave pushed the two close enough to the beach that she could use the pillars of the dock as leverage to pull them in before her feet could finally plant in the jagged rocks and she could drag the trunk free.

Shaky hands fumbled to open the latches as she pictured Benny inside, still actively drowning in the saturated water and wet furs that had no doubt tangled his face in the process. It had been a long time. Maybe too long.

The whole process couldn’t have been more than five minutes, yet it seemed like an eternity. At first, Benny hadn’t realized he was falling. He thought perhaps Astrid had tipped the trunk to the side. She’d said they were almost there, after all. Only when the impact of the wood on water had jolted him did he realize what exactly had happened. He’d frozen, not that he’d tell Astrid that, before using his last breath to scream her name. Did she realize what had happened? Would she even bother to come and rescue him? Was this her plan all along, to get rid of him for good so the gang was no longer held back?

Benny finally got his limbs working as his head submerged under the rapidly rising water. The young gang member struggled to keep his eyes open, and already his lungs felt like they were on fire. He needed to cough. He couldn’t hold his breath that long, not with his cough. When it became clear that there was no possible way to unlatch the thing from inside, he slipped into a rigid position. This was it, then. This was how he’d go. Ironically, he could live with that. He could accept this. Dying on a mission to help Astrid? He’d die to help any of them were it to come down to it. He’d just be sure to haunt the pub. But who was to take care of Alfie? Ella would hopefully be the one to step forward. That was alright then. It was alright.

Before he could take his next breath, everything went dark. He’d not felt the sensation of being pulled back to shore, not heard the latches being released, nor Astrid’s shaky breaths. It wasn’t until the furs were torn off of him did his body automatically react, and he coughed. It was the best feeling in the world. He’d never take his cough for granted again. Warm water spilled from his lips as he gasped for breath, sitting bolt upright to face Astrid. She was soaking wet as well, eyes wide with adrenaline.

“Astrid,” He choked, his voice hardly a whisper, “Ye saved me.” The touching moment only lasted a second. Benny stumbled out of the trunk, shivering, and glared at the woman.

“But ye wouldn’t o’ had to if ye weren’t tryin’ ta kill me in the FIRST PLACE! What the HELL was that? I TOLD YE I couldn’t swim, did’n I?” Grabbing the hem of his shirt he wrung the water forcefully. His clothes, at least, finally seemed to fit him as they clung to his small frame.

“Ye want my help er not? In case ye had’n noticed, I ain’t Brucie! Don’t need ta try ta kill me.”

“Christ almighty,” Astrid repeated the phrase over and over; a sinner’s mantra. Her hands hovered out in front of her, taking up the space in between them as she willed herself not to touch the young man; not to confirm that he was alive and check him for further injury.

“Benny, I–...” She shook her head at him, horror-stricken and mouth half ajar, poised for words that never came. Astrid stood there for another beat, suspended in time before she moved to the furs and trunk, quickly gathering them and dumping what water she could before leveraging the trunk back up onto the dock. You don’t need to do this. She willed the words to leave her lips as she made careful work of pressing water from the furs. The woman shook her head; although she couldn’t decide what at. If she was honest, she didn’t want to give him an out. Of course, she’d been relieved that she hadn’t killed the poor little sod, but they were close - so close - to their payday that she could taste it. She could see the two back at the pub with sly grins and a grand feast in front of them; smell Miles’ fresh-baked bread and rabbit stew; hear their glasses clinking together at their secret little triumph.

“I know, now. I didn’t let you drown and I know now,” the only reassurance she could manage to bring forth as she turned back to him, holding the lid of the trunk open in tense waiting, all the human vulnerability of the prior moment wiped clean from her face.

Benny turned to her in disbelief.

“Yer ravin’ mad if ye think I’m gettin’ in that thing again!” His dark eyes traveled between her and the trunk, then slowly towards their destination.

“I vote we just kill ‘em right where they’re standin’! Better them than us anyways.” His gaze narrowed with an excited glint as he reached for his knife. Without waiting to see if Astrid was on board with his vote (he’d have to tell Mary about his pun later), he snuck his way further onto the dock. Benny was only a few feet from the ship, barely making out two of the night watchmen’s heads bouncing as they strolled along, completely unaware.

Puffing out his chest in a big show of bravery, the young gang member snuck aboard as silent and swift as the fish in the sea and situated himself behind a pillar. One of the watchmen had his back turned from Benny’s spot, the other one he’d lost sight of. Turning to make sure Astrid was watching, the boy tiptoed dramatically over to the stout, bearded man, slung his hand around his mouth and delivered a quick slit to his throat.

Beaming, he gave Astrid a thumbs up and a small smirk of satisfaction.

Beat THAT!

There was nothing to gain from offering up her abject horror to a business associate; but still, the cold-blooded murder of a man for the sake of impulsive convenience was not something she expected from young Bennet. Impulsiveness, sure. –But the willingness to slit a man’s throat before even a moment’s pause to regroup? The pride that was shown across his face for such an act? He was a criminal, just like the rest of them, but the strange, alien quality to the glint in his eye made her more aware of the heaviness in her limbs and a helplessness in her core.

The literal blood on his hands made her stomach churn; earning a small chuckle and a nod to the young man as she dumped the trunk back into the surf. Since when was she squeamish? –And could she be, knowing full and well what waited for them in her cargo trunk? If they managed to make it back to her contacts with this trunk, they could escape to nearly anywhere in the world to evade British law.

Separately, of course. Astrid had been fantasizing about a grand flee from Britain from the time she was young, but her imaginary traveling companions were always a bit… Prettier.

Moving low and swift, the two moved like a unit - a surprisingly well-oiled machine - as they cut and stabbed their way into the ship’s hold. Bodies laid left and right of them, rocking this way and that as the ship moved with the tide; shoes stained dark in the low light. Their trance was broken by the deafening silence that followed; sprinkled with the creaking of joists and muffled splashing water.

When her eyes caught sight of her trunk - a faded navy with copper embellishments - she nearly toppled Benny into the other crates on her way to feel the latches beneath her hands.

With the entirety of her bodyweight, she shifted the trunk around to face away from Benny when it cracked open. She stared at him as the hinges whined with effort, their features gaunt, ghastly in the lamplight. The smell hit her before she’d managed to peel her gaze away from him, earning a growl from her stomach and a wave of nausea in consequence. Her arms grew rigid to keep herself from smashing the lid shut before she could inspect her shipment. It was all there. She couldn’t fasten the latches fast enough.

“Remember what I said about the bonus —if you don’t spoil the colors in the air?” Astrid stood, words flooding from her mouth to drown out the smell of salted meat wafting through the air. “Don’t forget.”

Sometimes, knowledge was a burden; and the splattering of red across the young man’s features could attest to the fact that she’d already asked enough of him.

–And then, they were outside, once more in the crisp, cool, night air.

It felt nice, and was quite convenient in drying the smeared blood splattered across his pale skin. Benny picked at it relentlessly as he bombarded Astrid with questions.

“So what’s in the trunk Astrid? Gold? Jewelry? A crown?” He dropped his voice into a low, awed whisper as he imagined what this was all for. "The colors of paintings"... He was sure Astrid didn't even like art. There had to be more!

“Did ye see how good I was on that ship? I was quiet like a… um… well as quiet as Ben! Told ye I was the right person for the job!” Benny clapped Astrid on the back roughly, relishing in this moment. Soon he’d be sitting on top of piles of food and money, his stomach so full he’d hardly be able to fit in his-

“STOP RIGHT THERE!” A gruff, angry voice echoed out across the bare streets. Benny jumped slightly, whipping his head around to the source. Cops.

“You both are under arrest, hands where I can see ‘em!” The young gang member briefly thought about charging the gun wielding officer before slight movement behind the fat man caught his eye. Three more officers, guns also drawn and a cold look in their eyes, moved to flank him.

Benny flickered a dark look to Astrid.

“Ye think we could just take this trunk back first? Maybe sit in our glory for a moment or two?” They didn’t find this funny.

“Shut up and put your goddamn hands in the air, both of you!” Benny complied, waiting for Astrid to give out an order. Would they fight? Run? Either way, he was ready.

Astrid didn’t turn around. As she listened to one set of footsteps become three, the twist of dread in her stomach bloomed into her throat and she bent over slightly to vomit into the dirt path. As though her body refused to give her a fiber of release, nothing came. The young woman’s hands rose into the air - dropping her side of the trunk - as she finally turned around, mind working frantically to find some way out.

“Oh, thank Christ above, you’re here,” Astrid shook her head, the tone of a damsel not fully settled into until she finished her exclamation. “Was she caught? The madwoman?” Astrid edged closer to Benny in a faux-protective stance, trying her damnedest to obscure some of his blood-covered front. Of course, there was no coming back from this trunk and glory. The men merely pushed forward, clamoring over the horseshit falling from her mouth

“M’baby brother here was just on his way to join the crew when she came about, guess there’s glory in gettin’ away with your life, but none in listening to your blasted elder-... ah, fuck it, run.” Astrid nudged Benny back, but couldn’t seem to make her feet move for another moment, locked in apprehension at the thought of leaving her cargo behind.

Astrid didn’t especially like guns –but she did have an intimate knowledge of their pitfalls. A repertoire that was business just as much as it was extracurricular. A familiar sight in her line of work, and she felt she owed a bit of obsession to the thing that nearly killed her.

–But pistols were prone to misfiring and wild inaccuracies. Out of three barrels poised on them, how many bullets would actually leave their chamber?

Finally, after a blink that moved like molasses, Astrid broke into a sprint along with Benny, hand gripped tightly to his sleeve as they veered towards the tall labyrinth of pallets and crates laid out for loading. Two blasts rang out behind them.

“We’ve gotta pick them off and get outta London; too many bodies,” She yelled to the young man as they snaked their way through, low to the ground. She could see herself moving swiftly, but her legs felt as though they were moving impossibly slow.

“We can’t just leave the gang!” He spluttered, appalled she’d even suggest it. Just because she was keen on leaving their family didn’t mean he was.

“Ye can’t leave yer baby brother here in London all by his lonesome!”
Despite the situation, he shot a sly smile in her direction, then risked a glance back to see two of the three cops gaining on them.

“Can ye believe she almost killed me?” He asked, as if they cared.

“Her own brother! Quite tragic, that!” His sob story was only met with a bang from a pistol. Though Benny wanted to strike up a conversation, he began feeling the familiar tightness close around his chest. Wheezing, he nudged Astrid to the right and down a winding alleyway. He opened his mouth to direct her to an open window a few feet ahead, but instead was silenced with a vicious cough. Opting to point in the direction instead, he felt their position change slightly as she caught on. His body was wracked with violent shivers and it took everything in his power to make it through the window.

Whatever this building was, it was silent and dark. Perfect.

Well, perhaps not so much. Staggering to the floor, Benny held back tears as he forced his mouth shut. The muffled coughing still seemed loud- so much so that he expected those pigs to jump in there with them. After about thirty seconds passed did he conclude that they were in fact safe for now.

There was little light save for the moonlight. Benny let the coughing take its course before feeling an uncomfortable blanket of lightheadedness.

Astrid?” The room swirled and twisted, carrying his voice with him. He felt sick.

The woman pressed herself against the wall, holding her breath as she watched and waited for the police officers to circle back to them. They didn’t.

Benny,” She responded shortly, “There’s too many bodies and the goods in that trunk are,” She swallowed dryly, “Stolen.”

“And they know what we look like. We’ve got to go lay low for a while,” Astrid whirled around on her heel and stopped short, realizing how different the air was behind her - tense and with a strange smell - like machinery - in the air. Something was wrong.

Bennet?”

“Mm?” Benny tried to answer, but fear of passing out kept him from making too much noise. His vision tilted, swayed, steadied, then tilted again.

“I dun feel… good.” Through the sudden haze a burst of pain shot from his side, splintering to the rest of his body, making him reel in agony. At least the room had righted itself for now…

Astrid!” He hissed, clenching at his side. What had happened? Benny glanced down drunkenly, cautiously lifting his blood soaked shirt until he could glimpse the dark liquid pooling at his side.

“Well, would ye… would ye look at tha’.”
With morbid, hazy interest, he shoved a finger on the wound, sprouting a whole new wave of pain.

“Think… think I been shot. Look.” He clambered unsteadily to his knees so she could get a better view, only to be knocked down with another round of dizziness.

“S’that bad?”

“No, no it’s not bad,” Astrid coaxed, moving to him and laying the young man down on the dusty floor in another breath. “We’ve just gotta hold your guts in for a little while, or they’ll slither away like snakes.” Her eyebrows furrowed, trying to decipher the words leaving her own mouth. She held his hand flat over the wound, chest aching with panic as she looked around for something –anything that might help. They were alone, and shrouded in a lonely darkness. The injury was taking him fast - too fast - and Bennet Anderton was not meant to leave them; not like this. –And that he might leave his body with only Astrid by his side was an injustice that she couldn’t bear.

“Just… Just stay still, I’m thinking,” The woman rasped, almost biting, as tearful heat flooded her face.

“Ain’t… Ain’t my lucky day.” Benny
continued, unable to hold his tongue. Through his own tears he managed to make out Astrid’s furrowed brow beneath the moonlight.

He thought back briefly to his own passiveness as he was drowning. It was peaceful. This… this was anything but. He wasn’t so sure he wanted to die now.

Shaking his head slowly, gasping in whatever breaths he could get, Benny slid his gaze towards the invisible ceiling.

Astrid steeled herself against the anger welling up in her chest; trying to stave off the agitation that grew with each tear that slid down her cheeks.

“I dun really… wanna die
Astr’. I dun… wanna die… withou my fam’ly.” What would Mary and Helena think? Would they be sad? Would they assume Astrid had had some part in this? He couldn’t let her end up with the same punishment as Brucie. Conor would be pleased. Ella would cry. Alfie… Would Alfie even notice his absence?

Family? Astrid knew nothing of the lad’s family; for all she knew, the damned stork had merely dropped him on the doorstep of Queensway Pub. She found herself pulling him closer carefully, gingerly adjusting his head to lay in her lap as she shushed him softly. Willing quiet and still the sobs that were beginning to rack her spine, Astrid brushed his hair from his face as the young man began to blur from her vision completely.

Ast… ‘M scared.” A cloud must have slid in front of the moon now. It was dark. The darkness didn’t care about his feelings, of course. It seemed to swallow him without hesitance, without regard to his fear. In his last movement he managed to hold out a hand, growing colder with each second, to search for Astrid’s warm one. He couldn’t speak, but he hoped this somehow showed how much he loved her.

If only the others were here, so he could show them too.

Benny, I’m sorry,” She whispered into the stillness, feeling a sense of cold come over her, drowning out the hot, angry sadness in her face and stiffening her joints. She held onto his hand like her grip could pull him back. The depth of the darkness that enveloped them felt disorienting, as though she might fall into it if she leaned too far forward; as though she’d be swimming in it for the rest of her days.

“You weren’t meant for any of this, were you, lad? Who would you have been without people like me? If you’d been raised up by someone –had someone?” She spit the words with guilty venom, as though it was all she could do to keep still and with him, there in that moment.

–And then, he was gone. Quite literally, gone. The weight in her lap lifted, the fingers that clasped his hand now grasping at the air. She strained her eyes to see through the abyss as she began grasping at the ground, feeling around frantically for any sign of Bennet, but finding nothing but wet, gritty concrete floor. She screamed for him, feeling the words rip from her chest, and then float away from her, soundlessly.

–And then, the floor was gone too. Replaced by the jerking of her shoulders and the sticky surface of an ale-stained table. Astrid’s lips continued to move wordlessly as she mechanically went about the work of peeling her cheek off of the table to lift her head. She was being jerked awake from the deepest, darkest slumber she’d ever known; a familiar voice cutting through her eardrums and rattling her brain.

Astrid! Yer gonna wake the whole damn street with yer mumblin’.” Benny sat, very much alive and completely unaware of his other selves tragic death, on the edge of the table, criss crossed. He watched his companion with a wide grin, his excitement nearly bubbling over.

“Yeesh, finally! Yer never gonna guess what I scored.” He dangled a delicate piece of jewelry in front of her eyes. The small silver bracelet gleamed in the low light of the candles, unconcerned of those who might notice it.

“Ye always spend yer time off sleepin’? Look, I wanna ‘pologize fer bein’ all cranky at ye fer beatin’ Brucie. Now don’t go repeatin’ all this, ‘cause the others are still a bit miffed, get it? Anyways ye can have the bracelet in exchange fer yer silence. Are we mates now?” Really he was just happy Bruce had made it alright. If he hadn’t, he was sure he wouldn’t be here right now. Apologizing. He’d never hear the end of that if the others knew.

Self-destruction always had a certain kind of power to it.

A twisted convolution of control that could be found in the art of wrecking your own life; so that no one else could have the satisfaction of doing it for you. A volatile flavor of self-regulation that kept you so low that your highs felt ever-higher.
It hadn’t been more than a week since Astrid had christened Bruce with an identical scar of his own in that dark alley behind the pub. Just as Astrid had yet to untangle her own actions, she’d avoided laying eyes on any of the gang since.

Astrid stood barefoot among a field of slate and flowers. Grand structures of stone and iron dotted the clearing at the edge of her mother’s neighborhood, where suburban luxury met dark, thick wilderness. She’d spent many hours here, among the graves of the dead, planted squarely before the most unembellished headstone, the markings - once intricate and lovingly carved - now eroded by time and weather. This slab of rock had been the faceless, captive audience to each and every time she’d become truly unfurled. In the seasons that her world had been too heavy, her distress with no clear scapegoat, she’d been able to find the imprint of her shoes from the visit before, and the one before that. This had been her dreariest place from the time she was young.

If she stood still enough –if she held her breath and closed her eyes, she could feel herself slowly sinking into the muck as the torrential downpour around her seeped into the earth. Through blurred eyes, she watched waves of heavy rain in the changing of winds like ribbons flitting through the air or the tides of the sea.

Purple lipped and pale skinned, she curled her toes, gripping the Earth beneath her as she let the cold numbness of them infect her. Cold and clumsily unfeeling, save the tight and swollen quality she still harbored in her eyes and throat. –The remnants of hot tears having burnt her face while frigid rain soaked her through, making her hair and clothes cling to her body. Where her bones once rattled with the chill and her spine racked with sobs, muffled by the storm, she now found a calm. Like her bones had melted into place –like they’d come to welcome the prospect of sinking into the mud, down, down into the ground with the other skeletons.

She was perfectly content there, like a ghost with a sense of belonging among the tombstones of the small cemetery. O’Malley was now breathing more slowly, more deeply with the quieting of the skies, until the shape of a man came into view in one of the adjacent back gardens. He had paused with his curiosity, beautifully bathed in the hues of blue and grey thrown by the afternoon storm clouds overhead, like the perfect backdrop to a melancholy poem.

In that moment, he was the personification of a sad, lowing sea shanty; and she was mistaking her numbness for composure.

None other than Bruce McIntosh had stepped out into his newly acquired backyard, intent on making the pilgrimage to his most commonly tread ground in all London, when across the slick pavement, and further on to the damp grass, a visage similar to a frightful ghost stayed his feet. The ache in his body seemed to grow in intensity while his throat became dry. The taste of her fowl drink flooded his taste buds once more. His seared shoulder burst alight with hot flame once again. But what really surprised Bruce was the gaze she held. He knew those eyes well, the stare that permeated all walls and peered into even the deepest of kept secrets. It was directed into Bruce’s chest, and he could feel the beam boring a hole in him.

In the downpour, Bruce couldn’t move, nor could he find it in him to blink. Astrid had an aura of… something. Something that made him unsure of his next step every time he walked. In an instant, he had forgotten what he was even setting out to do in the first place. The stare continued long enough for Bruce to recognize just how absurd it was for the two to allow themselves to be soaked to maintain it. All the effort he put into hiding his new place of residence, all the care he put into ensuring no one would find it – such as always walking out the back so no one would spot him leaving – was all for nothing. Once again, Astrid was someone he could never expect, never prepare for, never get a hold of.

The brute shook his head and blinked a few times before pulling the collar of his jacket up higher and walking across the open ground between him and the O’Malley girl. The sound of raindrops muffled themselves ever so slightly once he crossed the threshold from pavement to turf. From there, it wasn’t a far distance to the lone gang member. Upon getting so close, Bruce realized just how soaked through the lass was. Her clothes were matted to her frame and her hair pointed straight down with droplets flowing freely along the strands. Hardly the rigid vigilante she often appeared to be, and more like a cub unsure what to do now that mama bear had been poached.

Bruce didn’t speak for a moment, not even sure what to say. The first thing to cross the brute’s mind was to remove his jacket and fling it over Astrid’s shoulders, then furrow his cap onto her head. He frowned deeply as he did so, almost a look of anger upon his mug. Finally, words escaped from his throat. “The hell are you doing out here? It’s fuckin’ downpouring.” He gave her one glance up and down. “You’re soaked to the damn bone, O’Malley. How long’ve you been out here?”

It was him. Bruce; upright and presumably healing. Back, like a roach. Like nothing could stamp him out.
The young woman’s words caught in her throat - the urge to protest, the urge to question him - present but unattainable. With each footstep he laid upon her sacred ground, she could feel a buzzing grow between her ears. Not the white noise she had become used to when in pain or swimming through adrenaline, but something ever queerer; a low hum that rattled in her brain like walls near a passing train. Like the shuttering lid of a boiling tea kettle.

The vibration within her, though not a shiver, felt palpable. She worried somewhere, in an inaccessible part of her mind that he might hear it –feel it, if he stayed too close. Yet she remained poised, calculatedly blank. –Even with the coil re-tightening her throat and the cold stiffness of her limbs, the disdainful sensation of her own clothes, dripping wet, soaking through the man’s coat almost immediately. A certain, intoxicatingly foreign calm about her that made it clear exactly how she’d handle this situation –this infestation just a few doors down from where her mother went about her knitting; vulnerable; in perpetual darkness.

Astrid’s own eyes were clear; like the clouds had lifted and the afternoon sun chased away the shadows. She became more aware of the waterlogged layers of her dress. The weight, pulling down on her from every angle. The way the kitchen knife she’d used to sheer potato skins that morning stuck to her leg through an inner fold in her skirts.

“T-take me in,” her voice rattled with chill and disuse. Feet wobbly moving forward, her grasp on his arm felt exploitative, much like the weight of his cap on her head.

Like he didn’t know what was coming next.

Like a horse, carrying his owner to the slaughterhouse.

She needed to carve out equilibrium. She needed control. She needed a lift in the scot-shaped weight on her chest that had sat there –either in rage or in guilt– for what felt like ages. She knew what she needed to do. She’d done it before, even.

“Lord forgive me,” Her lips moved wordlessly, directed at shaky feet and they sloshed through the muck. “Forgive me, or be fucked.”

Bruce guided the corpse back to his home. It wasn’t a far distance, though it probably felt like eternal pain for Astrid to make the hike. The poor girl wasn’t even wearing shoes! Who the hell went out without shoes? He wasn’t sure if she was completely numb yet, and he hoped to keep from letting his fellow gang member from freezing out among the other dead. It occurred to him more than once that, had he really held much of a grudge about his beating, he could’ve simply looked on and went about his day. She probably would’ve stayed out in the torrential rain long enough to fade away. He’d never have to deal with O’Malley again.

But regardless of what he could have done, Bruce instead guided the stiff cadaver into his home through the back door, barely hanging on to its hinges. Once inside, Bruce sat Astrid down in front of the fireplace, where embers lingered, and Bruce set to work getting it back up to a roaring blaze.

Bruce was quiet for most of the activity. It didn’t take long to light up the firewood and step back. He stood beside Astrid on the couch, looking like a young lad at a ball with no one to dance with. McIntosh's gun weighed heavily on his hip. Was she sore about getting shot? Hell, was he sore for the revenge beating he received?

Bruce wasn’t really sure. But from the way he decided to take a seat beside Astrid, maybe he wasn’t so angered about the maiming after all. It didn’t take long for Bruce to decide his evening plans were shot. No brothel for him, it seemed. “Y’can stay as long as you like. Get the chill out of your bones. Might have some old tea stored away in a cupboard somewhere, if you’d like a spot.” Poor girl was probably completely –

No. Not a poor girl. This was the she-bitch. The idiot who couldn’t keep from standing in the way of his gun. The one who orchestrated an evening of pain and torture just for him. She wasn’t just some poor girl. She was the enemy. She was his competition.

But Bruce still couldn’t stop his hand from grabbing a nearby blanket and tossing it over Astrid’s lap wordlessly.

Astrid lingered there, in front of the fire, waiting to regain dexterity in her hands. Flexing her fingers, dainty in quality but littered with odd scars, out in front of her. Curling herself into the promise of warmth from the blanket, Astrid watched the flames lick this way and that. She was waiting out the chill; she was biding her time. Still, she strained to hear the crackle of the fire over the hum in her ears, this creation of her own subconscious.

–As though hell had frozen over, she longed for the wardrobe of her childhood bedroom; full of disdainfully respectable dresses, dusty, but warm and dry.

–As though hell had frozen over, she felt grateful to the oaf as he went about his tasks; empty of malice in his toil, considerate and dutiful.

–And both afflictions tested her resolve, to the point that she thought she might just take her leave. Carefully, she weighed the option of merely slipping away. Off to the warm, too-small bed of her early years.

In a click, like the drop of a glass, or a strike of lightning, recollection for the sensation of bees trapped in her skull crossed Astrid’s features. She’d been more acquainted with this inescapable vibration that she’d initially recognized; a realization paired with a memory that she didn’t dare allow herself to play out; a churning sense of anguish in her core so abhorrent that she jolted to her feet.

Quickly, frantically, one hand fled to the kitchen knife in her dress skirts and the other shoved Bruce aside to swing the ornate iron fireplace cover shut.

Bruce’s eyes followed the whirlwind of damp fabric across the short distance. He wasn’t sure what had possessed Astrid, but it was enough to make Bruce stand. O’Malley, what in the seven Hells are you –”

In the dark - save for the fluttering light that bled through the seams of the metal façade - Astrid rushed the man, knife stabbing into the hearth on her way; stuck in the wall, just in her reach but out of the sea of fabric by her legs.

–And she kissed him. Head craning up, her lips crashed upon his like a wrathful sea. Like he was antiseptic and she had things inside of her that she meant to kill. Like a poem. Like a punch. She’d never be exactly sure. –But murder had consequences, and this was the next best thing.

Self-destruction always had a certain kind of power to it.

𝗔𝗧𝗧𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡: 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗙𝗢𝗟𝗟𝗢𝗪𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗗𝗢𝗖𝗨𝗠𝗘𝗡𝗧 𝗜𝗦 𝗖𝗟𝗔𝗦𝗦𝗜𝗙𝗜𝗘𝗗.
𝗔𝗡𝗬 𝗨𝗡𝗔𝗨𝗧𝗛𝗢𝗥𝗜𝗭𝗘𝗗 𝗩𝗜𝗘𝗪𝗜𝗡𝗚, 𝗖𝗢𝗣𝗬𝗜𝗡𝗚, 𝗢𝗥 𝗗𝗜𝗦𝗧𝗥𝗜𝗕𝗨𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡 𝗜𝗦 𝗣𝗥𝗢𝗛𝗜𝗕𝗜𝗧𝗘𝗗 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗣𝗨𝗡𝗜𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗕𝗟𝗘 𝗕𝗬 𝗟𝗔𝗪.

𝙿𝚁𝙾𝙿𝙴𝚁𝚃𝚈 𝙾𝙵 𝙼𝙸𝟻 - 𝙴𝚅𝙰𝙻𝚄𝙰𝚃𝙸𝙾𝙽 𝙾𝙵 𝚀𝚄𝙴𝙴𝙽𝚂𝚆𝙰𝚈 𝙶𝙰𝙽𝙶 - 𝟸𝟽 𝙽𝙾𝚅 𝟸𝟶𝟸𝟷

[Page 37 of report]

Screenshot_2023-03-18_223108-removebg-preview.pngp2-removebg-preview.png

(Excerpt taken from HELENA NEVITT's journal. See transcription below.)

"July 6th, 1879

This Bed feels as thow it is stuft with Air its-self -I did check, much to my Pleasure (Reel Coton !)– Yet Rest remans an elosive Pray.
Mary aperes to have seteled in nisly, ashoring me that Queens are deserving of a Palis, however I can not help but think us Fools chasing our own Tales after resint events. Stil, I now find my-self enjoying the finer notes of sosiety from tim to tim. Yester-day I ate a Rasbery Pastry, and I earlyer marvild at a Peano-Man in an Eatery for some Time.

By the day, it becums evidint
our new lugsories Lives dimand incum, and I wil not be One to re-turn to the Cellar."

"July 6th, 1879

This bed feels as though it is stuffed with air itself - I did check, much to my pleasure (real cotton!) – yet rest remans an elusive prey. Mary appears to have settled in nicely, assuring me that queens are deserving of a palace, however I can not help but think us fools chasing our own tails after recent events. Still, I now find myself enjoying the finer notes of society from time to time. Yesterday I ate a raspberry pastry, and I earlier marveled at a piano-man in an eatery for some time.

By the day, it becomes evident our new luxurious lives demand income, and I will not be one to return to the cellar."

---

JULY saw the QUEENSWAY GANG's return to grand larceny, in which they would pull off their most daring stunt yet. Though scattered following the aftermath of their first major heist, the gang was far from hanging up their guns for good, finding their hunger for wealth and power not so easily sated.

---

Mary strolled into their newly acquired lodging and threw down the bags she had stolen from a woman leaving a boutique. Lena,” she mumbled, still not used to having more than one room to their combined names. Lena! Love, you won’t believe the news I have. I bring not only gifts but plans and I–”

She
stood in the doorway, yet unaccosted by her dear twin. “Ugh!” she whined aloud, walking to the bedroom. Lena, dear, are you listening?”

“Mm?” Helena stuffed her diary beneath her pillow, swiveling to a tripod. “No, say it all again.” She flashed a smile.
“Something about a gift?”

Mary clicked her tongue. “Yes, well, I had gifts - courtesy of some obnoxious woman with too many bags and too few a will to fight me – yet here I stand befuddled by your inability to hear me.” She threw up her arms and stepped fully into the room.

"And befuddled ye shall remain..."

Mary threw herself on the bed and nearly recoiled at the comfort; she still wasn’t used to the comfort of a bed made from something more than stray strewn atop wooden fixtures. “Feel free to sort through the clothes to your liking later, love,” she continued as if she hadn’t been feigning offense over it a moment prior.

“Stolen clothes are not the only thing I bring to you today, dear sister,” Mary smiled.

You robbed a woman down to the nude? Ha! Top class!” Helena cackled, leaning back and shoving Mary’s shoulder just a bit too hard. After cracking herself up a while longer, Helena sat up and rolled her hand forward to continue.

Mary’s cheeks flushed briefly with embarrassment before she relaxed back into a smile. “Far from it, sister, the woman was hardly my type. Much too weak-willed to get any sort of rouse out of me.”

“But yes, yes! I have found something truly spectacular,
Lena!” With the Brucie nonsense solidly behind them, Mary felt more comfortable getting giddy about work than she had in many months. It was truly a benevolent tailwind.

“Well, get to it, I’ve not got all day!”

“Gah!” Mary exclaimed, exasperated. “Please, sister, due respect the performance.” She cleared her throat and adjusted her blouse before continuing. “My eyes are set forward, my dear sister, forward and fast.”

Helena buffered for a moment and scoffed. You fancy us highwaymen now?”

“No, love,” Mary mimed the putting on of a conductor’s cap and the pulling of a lever, “my eyes are set on a train.”

“A train…” Helena repeated.
A familiar grin crept its way across her face as her imagination blossomed with imagery of express cars and opulent passenger carriages, once a thing only to be admired from afar now seeming not-so distant in their new rank.

She stood, pacing the flat to generate ideas.
“Any particular train?”

“Aye, love, there’s a particular train,” Mary responded, hardly able to contain the anticipation in her voice. “See, London’s elite have fancied themselves beyond us lowly street dwellers. Was the act of riding a carriage too lowly for their distanced travels?” Mary shook her head, fully in character and reveling in the first performance of its kind in nearly a month. “It would seem so, dearest sister, it would certainly seem so.”

“Imagine my surprise when I learned that a train in particular has been built to serve the very same
people who view us worse than yesterday’s rubbish! Color me positively astonished at the notion! An entire train, serving only property owners with money to burn, that rides from London to Glasgow.”

“And you think they put all their rotten eggs in one basket.”

“A basket containing entire train cars filled with their rotten riches, dear.”

A fine gift indeed.
Helena tallied their roster in her head, conjuring a plan by the second as she considered the vast possibilities of such a task. She stopped beside the coat rack, donning her very first legitimate purchase as a moneyed woman - a jet black double-breasted swallowtail coat, complete with green accents and silver buttons - and strapped her gun belt beneath.
“What are we waiting for?”

There's a stillness in the air the morning after Benjamin concluded his work aboard The Belle of Manassas. He'd disposed of his eveningwear, too lazy to wash the blood out, and he sleeps long into the morning to makeup for his late night at work. It took him awhile to even get to sleep in the first place, given the electrical buzz of the adrenaline in his blood, but finally that soldier's knack for sleeping anywhere at anytime came back to him. Maybe it was the fatigue, but it was the best sleep he'd gotten in weeks.

When he does arise, not terribly long before noon, he washes his face, goes about his morning routine, but his movements are slower and less purposeful than usual. Henry remarks on it when Benjamin finally comes out into the parlor. "Another night shift, hmm?" He asks. He was well aware of Benjamin's profession at this point, and interested enough in the man's company to not make a fuss about it.

"Yes." He answered, scratching his beard. "Hope I didn't wake you."

"No need to worry, son. For a giant you make all the sound of a cat." Henry remarks with a wry smile before sipping his tea. "You seem.. at ease."

Benjamin's head tilts ever so slightly.
"How do you mean?"

"Just less.. tense. Like someone who finally found what they were looking for." Henry explains.

"Hmm."

The rest of the day passes uneventfully, and the night is spent in the parlor. Over glasses of scotch whisky, cigars, and fresh bread, the two chatter politely. Benjamin is every bit the educated gentleman he was born to be, like he always is in Henry's company, and the night goes on well past midnight before Henry retires. It is the last time anyone in England ever sees him. When Henry awakes the next morning and waits for his tenant to come out of his room, it is with an eagerness to continue the prior night's conversation. When the American doesn't come out, Henry enters his room at noon to check on him.

The room is empty, the bed made and everything exactly in its place where it had been before Benjamin ever arrived and rented the space. There is, in fact, no sign at all he was ever there, except for two notes set aside on a nightstand. The first, addressed to Henry, is wax-sealed and contains the following month's rent, and expresses deep gratitude for all of Henry's many kindnesses. It ends with instructions on how to handle the second note, and Benjamin's sincerest well-wishes.

The second is addressed to "
Whichever One of You Comes Looking," and is much shorter. "Tell the lion if he ever wants a real hunt, there's plenty of prey in São Paulo, Brazil. Ask for Mr. Lincoln."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COME ONE COME ALL AND WITNESS
THE AMAZING AITCHISON, ROYAL CONJUROR AND HUMOURIST
Who will have the honour of presenting, on the above date,
A UNIQUE COMBINATION OF SCIENCE AND ART
Introducing some of the strangest and most
INCOMPREHENSIBLE EFFECTS
Ever imported from the
REALMS OF ILLUSION
Being the inventor of a number of novel feats, is enabled to present something
NEW AND WONDERFUL

The curtains on stage open rapidly in a whirl of red fabric. Jasper is already front and center, though between his dark suit and the unlit room he is barely more than a silhouette on stage. There's a rush of anticipatory applause that thunders in his heart before it stops abruptly, the confused audience waiting for the night's entertainment. He waits. Let them be confused. Let that kernel grow, but not blister. Three. Two. One.

He raises his right hand and snaps his fingers, and a flickering flame appears between his fingers, giving the audience their first dim look at him. The heat licks at his fingers, melting away the carefully concealed matchstick, and he only gives them a moment before spewing the mouthful of starch and copper sulfate out over the flame, shooting a gout of green-hued flame across the stage. Just as the flame dissipates, the crowd's bewildered gasps filling the room, the lanterns around the stage are uncovered dramatically, revealing the Amazing Aitchison in all his majesty. Bedecked in a gaudy red suit, a bright yellow carnation pinned to his breast, he bows dramatically and waits out the applause before rising.

"Ladies, gentlemen, esteemed and honorable guests, I welcome you to a night of magnificent mystery, a mystical experience unlike any in London or all the Empire! I come tonight to display illusory effects beyond comprehension, to show you the secret magicks of deepest Africa and Far China, to amaze you with skill and boggle you with the impossible! My name is Jasper Aitchison, and I will prove to you tonight, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that supernatural spirits most sinister flitter and float among us! But first, let us begin with something rather more exciting! Behold!" He begins. His lovely assistant and wife, the mother of his child and the sun in his sky, comes out from stage left. She's dressed for the show as well, a dress of the same red and yellow, as she presents him with a long and thin sword to swallow before curtseying and exiting the stage. He looks at her as she settles in behind the curtain again, the light catching her eyes, standing there doing nothing at all except holding the universe together.

“Yes loves, please contain your excitement. I did say that correctly; we are to rob a train.”

Mary
was in the midst of giving an impassioned explanation of the mission at hand to her and her sister’s gang of misfits and troublemakers. It was the first time in more than a month that all had been gathered together, making merry as a united front in the pub on Queen’s Way. Were that not all, Mary’s leg was finally - at least mostly - healed from the unfortunate breakage it experienced at the festival they had crashed.

Though, perhaps united front was a tad misleading. Their gang’s favorite yank, one Benjamin Levin, had departed most unceremoniously weeks prior; the allure of his birth-hemisphere seemed too titillating for him to resist after all, shame that it was. A small note was left for Mary and her dear sister, perhaps out of a consciousness too heavy to leave his dear leaders listless in the face of his absence.

At least, that was what Mary was wont to assume.

It was no real matter in the end. A local magic man with whom the gang had worked previously had popped his little head back up shortly thereafter. It was a shame to lose an American of noble blood, but Mr. Aitchison was more than capable and a freak like many of the others. He fit in snugly among the gang like a nail needing nary more than a single hammer into place.

It was a simply delightful reunion.

And so in the face of this rejuvenation, Mary found herself somewhat more long winded than her regular rather concise nature of expository deliverance of plans to her underlings. It was hardly her fault; even were their plans not as riveting as tearing ill-gotten gains from London’s finest, the mere face of reunion amongst allies would have been reason enough to send Mary into near a tizzy with jovial adrenaline.

Mary paced in front of the booths, simply reveling in the light of her makeshift stage and the attention of her gang. Lena was surely nearing the limit of her patience with Mary’s theatrics, an unwitting and mostly innocuous philistine to her core, and so Mary finally decided to continue with substantive explanation.

Lena and I have already slaved over every iota of detail needed to ensure flawless execution of this plan. Fear not, dearies, your generous benefactors have all of our safeties simply assured.”

She smiled to the group.

“We are to split ourselves into two teams, similarly to our previous missions. The Patrons are going to be headed by myself. Conor and Brucie,” she paused to look each in the eye, “you are to join me in the train itself. We have very important roles to play there; we need to blend in among this nation’s upper crust so that we may stop the train from inside and assist Lena’s group with the collection of belongings.”

She paused, as if for questions, but continued before anyone could ask any. “The group headed by my sister, the Vanguards are to board the train once it comes to its untimely stop and rob the patrons blind! Eleanor, Bennet, Michelle, Jasper, and Astrid - the five of you are to accompany Lena on carriage and horseback.”

Mary
took a breath - seemingly her first - and smiled to Lena. “Would you like to continue, dear?”

"The plan is mostly the same as last time." The table's attention turned a full 180 degrees to a pair of propped-up boots, accompanied below by Mary's second half balancing on two legs of a chair. "One team goes in first as interference, the second team comes in for the kill - only this time, we know for sure who's at this party."

Helena's
new shoes clacked to the ground and onto the table floated a cargo manifest dated to one week in the future.
"Thirty-six cars: Twenty-six cargo, three passenger, three sleeping, two baggage, one dining, one express." She listed. "That last one's what we're after."

"Like
Mary said, once her team stops the locomotive, my team will then ride up and occupy the passenger cars in pairs. Our contact reckons a train this size should hold no more than a hundred-fifty patrons. That's fifteen of them for every one of us, Bruce." She poked, not that she'd done the math herself.

"Now, that's better odds than before, but this isn't like the manor - you all remember what happens when you stick rich twats in a corner." The crew simultaneously recalled the dreaded stampede of partygoers during their last heist. "They're like caged animals...Which is why we will be instructing them to leave their belongings on the seats and exit the train." Another sliver of paper followed the manifest, this time a hastily scrawled collection of lines somewhat resembling Great Britain with a squiggle cutting from the very bottom to the very top and a dot somewhere in-between.
"If all goes accordingly, the train should stop here, in a strip three kilometers south of Leighton Buzzard." Helena double-tapped the dot. "So if anyone feels like running, they can be my bloody guest, it'll be a long walk home. We empty the passenger and sleeping cars of people, collect the petty loot and work the crowd. Meanwhile Mary's team will be working on the real prize." Her posture straightened in emphasis.

"Contained within the single express car is none other than concentrated wealth itself: Gold, my friends. And heaps of it, locked behind seven centimeters of steel and plaster." Helena dragged her gaze across the booth, ensuring each gangster understood the true magnitude of this operation. "There's just one problem: The safe supposedly uses one of those new rotary locks, and nobody on board knows the combination, only the bankers waiting in Glasgow."

"It just so happens, however, that I've recently come into possession of a master-key."
Fashionably late, Helena's sparkling golden grin made an appearance, then retreated back into her gums just as quickly, like a foul stench passing in the breeze.
"Grab any trinkets that won't weigh you down, but all other gains are secondary." She continued without elaboration.

"There will be a detachment of expressmen on board - at least ten, armed. Hopefully, our imbedded patrons can dispose of a few before the rest of us arrive, but prepare for a fight regardless. Once one drops, the rest are often quick to quick to value their lives over another's luggage. Don't be afraid to get aggressive, it's what these dunderheads signed on for, eh?"

"Once
we're done, we collect our crew and leave the passengers to their devices. We'll be home before sunrise."
Helena
kicked back to her original position, holding her head in interlaced fingers.

"Questions?"

Last edited:
Bruce admired the strategizing of the Twins from the support post a meter away, braced against it with his forearm and using his spare hand to bring a cigarette to his lips occasionally. The position caused his ribs to ache something fierce, but Bruce wasn't about to start bellyaching now. Every stress of his muscles was a wrought pain. He'd not see himself bring up past events unnecessarily. Best instead to just hope it's forgotten overtime. Regardless, it was finally time for a new heist, and one just as daring as before, if not more so. A moving train - and one headed for the great land north of England! The mere mention of Glasgow stirred the brute and his patriotic core. They'd not be visiting the grand city, but he'd be close to home. Closer than he had been in a long few years.

Bruce listened about as intently as ever. One ear was kept on Helena and Mary making their plot known, and the other endlessly focused in on the noises around the tavern. By the end, he'd recall most of it; anything he didn't pick up on could be solved in the moment of crisis, at least as far as Bruce was concerned.

And, like a return to form, like when Helena had offered him a cigarette for the first time after shooting Astrid, Helena had brought up the the same joke during the planning of the Gerard Street heist. Bruce kept his plain mug for a moment, but couldn't help and eventually crack a smile. Nature was healing.

Upon Helena's mention of being aggressive towards the peelers, Bruce smirked once more. No one could get aggressive quite like the McIntosh boy could. He immediately halted the thought, however. Not too aggressive, you fuckin' tube. Keep it under control.

"I've got a few," Bruce chimed in near instantly once Helena finished. With no notion of a rotary lock's workings, and no brain for allusion, he began, "This master-key you speak of; we talkin' an actual key, or something more... universal?" His mind instantly went to dynamite or some other more crude device. If they were cracking this safe open with serious firepower, Bruce wanted to know who'd be carrying it; he may not fear a bullet, but the last thing he wanted was to get his ass blown all the way back to the Highlands.

"How're the Patrons getting on board? I doubt peeler's ain't checking for tickets, so we purchasin' them?" He then looked over to Conor, his fellow Patron. "Looks like I can finally take you out suit shopping like I promised months ago, eh?"

"I've got a suit," Conor huffed to Bruce. Well, technically it was just a vest that he'd put over a mostly-unstained, collared shirt. And moths had managed to chew a couple of holes through the fabric. But still! Surely that'd be sufficient.

Yes, no doubts about it, Conor thought as he rubbed his hand against his pant leg to wipe away the perspiration that'd formed on his palm, the two men would be the best proper tools Mary ever did see.

At least Ella was in the other group. Conor had tried his best not to look at her direction, before realizing that doing so would suggest the whole matter he and Benny had learned about was still bothering him. So he made a point of getting two glasses of water from Miles, marching over to the lass, and — well, that's when he'd panicked and gulped down both glasses in front of her. But at least he'd made eye contact! Or at least he thought he'd did; it was a bit hard to tell on account of the fact his head had been tilted near 90 degrees back.

The hydration hadn't done anything to ease the pressure he felt in his gut. There'd been too many changes as of late for Conor's taste. It'd been bad enough that Benjamin had up and left with nary a goodbye. And the strange Aitchison feller seemed to think he could waltz in and take the American's place. Sure, he'd been helpful on a couple of occasions, and he wasn't as spine-chilling as the other man. But what with his weird hat and weird words and weird face, Conor was fairly certain that Jasper wasn't the full shilling.

That was, assuming he wasn't...something else.

It was time to think about something else, now.

"I also gotta question," Conor volunteered, taking up after Bruce. "Isn't gold supposed to be heavy? Unless the magician"Conor shot a not-unsuspicious glance toward Jasper, as if expecting him to shapeshift into a crow—"plans to spirit the loot away, how're we getting it back?"

"How're the Patrons getting on board? I doubt peeler's ain't checking for tickets, so we purchasin' them?"

"Aye, Mary and I have paid upfront to get you lot aboard. Weren't easy, either, you've got aliases for entry so we can't be tracked." Helena assured him, completely ignoring Bruce's first question to maintain suspense. Can't spoil all the fun, of course.

Isn't gold supposed to be heavy?

"You'd best get training, then." Helena took an extended swig of her pint, ale dripping down the corners of her mouth onto her fancy new coat - evidently, her manners had not yet caught up to her attire. Finding Conor dissatisfied with her remark even after a long drink and a second sarcastic response from their newest addition, she rolled her eyes and answered properly.
"Horses, mate. We've also put up for a carriage and three cleveland bays, rented out of pocket from the same stable as last time." She raised her empty glass to summon the young barmaid, who promptly replaced it with a full one. "Call it... An investment in our futures, eh?"

Last edited:
Eleanor shifted rather uncomfortably in her seat as she listened to the twins' plan. She hadn't stepped foot inside the pub since the fight with Conor and Benny and she hadn't planned on doing so for a long while. If Ella was being quite honest, she had thrown out several failed letters wishing the gang luck in the future and she would be taking her leave. Would they have let her go so easily? That Ella wasn't sure about- sure, Benjamin had left with no trouble. But she was fairly sure he hadn't informed them till after he was out of England. He most likely had somewhere else to call home anyway, Ella wasn't so lucky in that regard. Not unless she wanted to reach out to a distant relative- which she did not want to do.

The young woman sighed rather loudly, trying her best to push all negative thoughts from her head for the moment. She closed her eyes and continued listening as Helena finished her speech.

The sound of fast-approaching footsteps caught her attention.

Eleanor opened her eyes to find Conor standing tensely in front of her...holding two glasses of water. Had she looked as sick as she felt? Is that why he had an extra glass? Before Ella had time to question the Irish man, he had downed both glasses in just a few seconds. She felt her mouth open slightly- perhaps she had meant to say something, but all that managed to come out was an "...oh."

Ella
shifted her eyes away from Conor. It was clear he was still thinking about her secret, and if he was surely Benny was as well.

"May luck be on our side this time." Was all that left her mouth when all was said and done.

Last edited:
Benny couldn’t rightly recall the last time everyone in the gang met up at the pub. It was the first time since the beating that he’d seen Bruce, though by the looks of it he was back to his normal, broody, stupid self. Mary also seemed better, hardly flinching in pain as she pranced around their booth with her usual gusto. The upcoming job seemed to give everyone a newfound determination, and even Benny found himself nearly jumping with excitement.

The young gang member had situated himself on top of a booth seat just next to Jasper, who’d taken Benjamin’s place since his leave. At first Benny had resented him for leaving. What was so great in France that London didn't have? Of course, after some consideration and a lot of stolen booze, Benny realized he probably went back for the cowboys. He’d heard plenty of stories about rough and tough men with guns who rode horses through small towns to shoot people. After that realization, he'd found forgiveness.

Forgiveness was another thing with Ella now too. It seemed Conor was in the same boat- any other time Benny would’ve loved to “accidentally” bump him while he chugged two things of water, but since he was in on the secret too, it wasn’t as fun.

And, of course, Jasper was a whole other problem. He liked the guy just fine… at first. It was clear the famous magician thought he was better at card tricks than Benny, though, and through most of the previous job they’d worked together, Benny had spent most of that time trying to one up him. He had learned a lot of tricks during that time, but he’d never admit that.

Now, as the twins went into detail about splitting up into two teams, Benny preoccupied himself with messing with Jasper’s hats.

“Can I have this one?”

Jasper’s reunion with the gang had proven.. Interesting. It was easy enough to see they all had various feelings about the American’s quiet departure, and it didn’t take mystical insight to tell there was some vague resentment towards himself as a replacement. As always, he takes it in stride, oozing kindness and jests to earn himself a bit of goodwill. Set astride a chair turned backwards, legs thrown over either side and chest to the backrest while the Twins explain the plan, he listens carefully to the details.

Or he tries to, until Benny grasps at his top hat.

“Afraid not, mate. This is the one I pull rabbits from.” He answers with a grin. “But..” He goes on, lifting the hat and giving it a flourish. The motion is just meant to conceal his right hand long enough for him to produce a felt crush cap from his jacket. “This, you may borrow.” He concludes, settling his top hat back on his head daintily while holding out the other cap.

In response to Conor’s question, Jasper offers up a wry grin. “Gold is supposed to be heavy, a most astute observation, Mr. Murphy.” Jasper replies with a nod. He leans back, gloved hands flung out to either side. “Not the first time I’ve handled gold, but horses are rather better at it than people. Just make sure to load an equal number on either side so the saddle doesn’t slip, and.. Well, if the lasses have an even quarter decent buyer, we may never need to work a proper day again."

Benny rolled his eyes. There he went again, answering questions that weren’t even meant for him, the attention hog. He made Doc Shelley look like a freaking saint in the gang. Still, he couldn’t help admiring the crush cap in Jasper’s hand, and to nobody’s surprise the young gang member snatched it up greedily, replacing his battered flat cap with it.

“I hereby declare you produce the rabbits!” Benny rolled his shoulders back in a proper sitting position, waving a hand at Jasper in command.

“Oi! You don’t stuff it, I’m gonna produce a rabbit out your arse!” Helena warned Benny with the utmost sincerity. “Pay attention, this might just save your life…”

Whacking Jasper with the flat cap on the man’s shoulder, Benny gave him a disapproving stare.

“Way ta go newbie.”

Jasper responds with a shrug and tips his hat towards Helena, figuring that correcting Benny’s mistaken blame wasn’t worth the time nor effort.

The Irishman gave Helena a tight smile, rolling his eyes and shoving an accusatory thumb at the magician as if to say “this fucking guy, am I right?”

Adjusting his newly acquired hat until it felt right, Benny fell into silence for a moment, ever so often glancing over to Conor or Ella as if either of them would have the nerve to speak up about the secret. All of these new changes were putting him on edge.

“Right then, we’ve got it. Alfie will need a window seat on the train, mind ye, or else he’ll get sick. And I get first pick o’ the horse!” Benny painfully cleared his throat before a cough could escape and flagged down Miles for a drink.

“And I wanna see at least one rabbit come outta that hat before we go!”

With all the serene grace of nearly anyone but herself, O’Malley had arrived early.

Astrid sat atop a nearby table, legs neatly crossed and fingers clasped upon her knee as the Nevitts laid out their next adventure. Eyes following between the two like liquid, leaned into the throbbing pulse of a bruise bloomed around her left eye and a split in her bottom lip; two stupid prizes she’d earned from her most recent stupid game with stupid company in another stupid makeshift boxing ring.

She’d been acutely focused that day, whether out of a productive inclination or a sense of self preservation, she could not say. Even her clothes had been some of her finest; neatly pressed trousers from the local boutique above-her-status and a loudly-patterned shirt reworked from a childhood dress. Fine brass buttons and leather boots polished to blind the birds. All clean corners and straight edges. Pleading with the fates for either a miracle or a mugging.

Had it not been for the same keen concentration that cooked, cleaned, and mended the fences at her family home that same morning, Astrid’s eyes may have wandered off with her in the pub on Queensway. She could feel the threat in the very back of her mind; a sense of looming agitation at the tension around Ella, a buzz of nervousness about Conor, Jasper’s audacious acceptance of Benjamin’s seat at their table despite her fondness for the magician, –and most infuriating of all, Bruce’s presence and incessant need for air in his lungs. Ever the narcissist, it was the line of both Helena and Mary’s lips - the distinct curves as they pronounced each syllable - that separated her from airing out each of these trespasses with their respective perpetrator. Instead, she smiled and nodded and sipped at her pint.

Salivating at the thought of gold and action.

The scene had been neatly set; Mary had fashionably returned the myriad inquiries cast upon Lena and herself with nary a murmur of confusion from their gang arising in response. How deft - as ever - she proved to be in the face of her subordinates, all simply desperate in their affection for clarity. They were all nearly ready!

A grin crept across her face from ear to ear at her juniors. She simply adored the sight; looking down at her seated gang before a job. Bennet looked as clueless as the rocks his brain was surely fashioned after, though the thoughtless expression plastered upon Brucie's face seemed to be giving the Irishman a run for his stupid money. Both Eleanor and Conor appeared to be mere moments from losing themselves to either anticipation or fear - Mary could rarely tell the difference. All the while, Michelle and Japser looked properly eager to get this circus on the road. Their faces delighted Mary, in all of their disordered, anticipatory glory.

Mary focused on Astrid last. Their recent exploits having proved as fruitful for their relationship as ever expected, she couldn't help but view the woman quite favorably. Of course, Mary's favor was ever-stipulated with essentially-good-natured digging. Mary pointed to her own left eye - notoriously lacking in the bruising department - and winked at dear Astrid.

-----------------------------------------------

The lot of them arrived at the fated day without so much as a whisper of an arising concern. Everything in the preparation had gone most swimmingly according to all plans, as Mary was simply certain of. The wretched party was a fluke, the likes of which her gang would never repeat in this life.

She stood at a platform of King's Cross station, waiting impatiently in line with her arm wrapped around Conor's. She was to play the role of young newlywed to the Irishman for the purpose of the names on their tickets - Thomas and Ruth Adams. She was revolted by the idea of playing wife to any man, much less Conor, but Lena had insisted on it being the most convincing story for the two to travel together. Plus, it was a charade that need only be maintained for a few measly hours.

She would survive the ordeal, most likely.

Brucie stood a few dozen paces behind them in a suit Mary was sure he had ripped from some poor sod's back while he was wearing it. She was hesitant to leave him to his own devices in the beginning stages of this travel, but there was no avoiding it; his accent was implacable and the train was scheduled for Edinburgh. They'd reluctantly determined the least conspicuous position for dear Brucie was an individual passenger who happened to be seated near Mary and Conor.

Mary leaned closer to the man playing the detestable role of her husband. "You are confidant in your ability to speak like an educated Englishman, yes dearie?"

On the morning prior to the heist, Helena rose red-eyed from her shared bed in stark contrast to its other occupant, who would lay undisturbed until the sun woke her from beneath the blinds. She crept across the floor, picking up equipment along the way, donning her clothing stealthily as though she were stealing from herself, checking twice for her notebook. This journey may see her never return to this place, so she was sure to bring everything she needed. She gave one last look in the doorway to her sleeping sister, and exited into the early hours.

Her route across the most treacherous corners of London to the stables in more affluent neighborhoods ran like clockwork, though she did feel somewhat gaudy as she slipped across intimately familiar alleys with a green ribbon on her hat. In places she would have otherwise bypassed without a thought, she was now acutely aware of each passing glance, every whisper from cupped hands, anyone who would place her as the woman from the party.

"And what if they do?" She told herself, shoulders hunched beneath her coat. "I'll do 'em, all the same." Brass, not silver.

Though recently she'd come to learn, brass has its consequences.

Seventy-five kilometers up the line, and Helena's determination had compacted into a tight ball in her gut. She and her team had trekked for a day and a half along the railway, each step bringing her further from Queen's Way than she'd ever been. The lack of overcrowded street corners and warm smog was nearly suffocating her, the only recognizable figures riding beside her in the plains of the country.

"Stop!" She ordered, holding up her hand to halt the convoy. They'd come across a sizable ditch beside the tracks, wherein they could feasibly conceal their carriage using the terrain. "This is the spot, they ought to stop the train someplace in this straight..." She huffed. "Let's prepare."

Helena
climbed down from her horse and began to unpack the carriage first of chaff and water, then of ammunition and tools.
"Keep your powder dry, smells of rain." She noted. "If anything goes wrong, we meet here. Got it?"

Conor nodded, his face doing its best impression of a frog. "Sure are, Boss," he mumbled. His throat felt like it was made of burlap.

He squirmed in Mary's grip, wincing at the unfamiliar sensation of a silk shirt against his skin. He'd been in traincars plenty, of course, but nothing as fancy as this. Most of his work at the railyard involved shipping cargo, not sipping tea with Londoner socialites with necklaces that cost more than a half-year's rent back home.

"It's heated somethin' brutal," Conor muttered, using his free hand to readjust his suit, which hung loosely around his wiry frame. "I'm sweatin' like a pig in summer. Think we can order a glass, Bos—er, dear?"

The man winced again, as if he'd tasted something spoiled in the words that'd left his tongue. Why was he the one having to play Mary's fella? Wouldn’t Bruce — or even the wizard gent — have been a better choice? Best he could do was quiet, hope his cap hid his red hair well enough, and let the lass spin her web until it was time to start shooting. Was Mary trying to train him, make him less useless in cons? He tried to shoot a glance in Bruce's direction, hoping to find a measure of sympathy.

Conor couldn't tell what bothered him most. The possibility the plan could go horribly wrong. The pressure of being partnered with an employer that scared the hell out of him most days. The pain in his calves from the late-night run he’d taken to try to shake off the nerves.

Maybe it was the guilt of having not said anything to Ella, or about her, in weeks. Maybe it was the thought that he’d forgotten to check his mail today — what if the lease approval had come in? Maybe he hadn’t eaten enough for breakfast. Maybe he’d eaten too much.

Maybe it was all of it. Or none of it. James had always joked that if Conor’s worried could fetch a price, the family could buy the whole isle. And though Ma and Pa got on the older boy’s case for teasing his brother, Conor knew they agreed with him.

Conor shook his head to toss the thoughts loose. The tracks had been laid long ago. Nothing left to do but follow them.

Slick with sweat, stomach roiling, shaky hands lacing the reins with a white-knuckle grip; Astrid felt nearly euphoric with relief at Helena’s call to halt. She’d ridden the entire way side-saddle - a bothersome partiality she’d picked up at the estates of family friends as a child. She hadn’t spent much time on a horse since those days, but she still knew how to ride like a respectable lady –even if she’d tried her damnedest to ride in a straddle for the first few hours of the journey.

Nothing about the journey had gone to Astrid’s liking, especially as of that morning, after a breakfast of stale bread and salted ham decided to disagree with her. The sway and bounce of horseback became more and more offensive as morning drew into afternoon.

“Tell me, when does a pub come out of one ‘a these mirages? The typa establishment with half-naked ladies runnin’ baths in the loft rooms would be ideal.'' She grinned at Helena as she toiled to pull a flask from the inner workings of her brassiere. The warm sip of whiskey tasted like water against the bile rising in her throat. She tossed the small canteen to Helena, prompting her to drop her carried hay bale in order to catch it; any acquaintance of Helena trusted that she’d drop her own child if it meant wetting her whistle.

“By God, I do believe the bathhouse was the left turn, not the right!” Helena gulped a fair swig from the container, doing her companion the courtesy of leaving a swallow left before throwing it back. “My governess failed to teach me directions, it seems.”

Th
ey laughed together, followed only by the alien silence of the countryside.

“Lots of nothing out here, eh? Think anyone’ll even hear the gunshots?” Inquired Helena half-rhetorically, hoping to discover some twisted comfort in the safety of seclusion. “I wager nobody will be any the wiser ‘til the cargo’s late.”

"I reckon it's just us and the buzzards, lovie," Astrid announced more to the sky than anyone else, fancying herself a pirate with her toothy smile. She'd weathered the waves in her stomach to imagine herself many people through the monotony of the day-and-a-half journey, but a pirate had been easiest. After taking the final swig from her flask, she wasted no time in setting it up on a rock and wasting a bullet that knocked it onto the ground with a satisfying tink as she paused - dead-still - to listen to the echo of the gunshot ring out.

Helena hardly blinked as the flask was cast off into the dirt, evidently consumed by her own machinations. She squinted, then turned to the nearby carriage and reached in as far as she could, retrieving a long, cloth-wrapped object hidden within its depths.

“Here,” She tossed the wrapped thing to Astrid with two hands. “Try this.”

Astrid peeled away the rope ties and dropped the cloth to the ground, revealing a pristine Winchester carbine, model 1873. The spark in her eyes came first, followed by the slow unfurl of a grin as she shifted the weight of the machine in her hands; tilting upward to admire the glint of steel in sunlight; tilting downward to press the butt to her shoulder and peer down the aiming column.

“Oh, she’s afternoonified,” Astrid cooed absently, straightening to buff her fingerprints from the barrel and receiver with the cuff of her shirt.

“Used the last bit of our party revenue to nab this beaut’. I planned to reserve it for whomever stayed guard outside, but…” Helena looked to her left, then her right. “It’s just us and the buzzards for now, right?”

“Well, it’ll just be us before long,” She shot a pointed look to the sky before carefully trying, and then sliding open the small metal door on the side of the rifle. “This thing loaded?” Awkward and unsure, Astrid pressed one eye shut to get a better look inside, giving the piece a small shake.

“Mm…” Helena vocalized, waltzing beside Astrid and sticking her finger in the trigger guard.
CRACK!
A mound of dirt jumped from a nearby hill.
“No, doesn’t seem to be.” Declared Helena confidently.

“Miles once told me of the rifles he used in Crimea, this is about the same, yeah?” She equated, briefly searching her coat pockets and dropping a handful of .44-40 rounds into Astrid’s palm. She then looked for a target, settling on one right before her eyes.
“Think you can snipe the top hat off of old magic man over there?” She flicked her chin across the ditch.

“Miles ‘prolly has the knockoffs,” Astrid nodded enthusiastically, eyes locked on the disturbed earth as a shaky hand fed bullets into the rifle. Sliding the door shut and giving it a small pat, she couldn’t help but think of the apparatus as Helena’s small, mechanical, personal Alfie.

When she finally broke her stare, she wasted no time in feverishly raising the gun back to her shoulder, taking aim, and firing.

Nearly imperceptible aside from the bullet’s whistle through the wind, she’d shot into open air. The kickback sent her staggering several steps backward and she reckoned herself lucky that her unsteady legs hadn’t dumped her square on her ass.

“Fuck, was I close?” She lowered the gun - finger still itchy on the trigger - as she craned her neck this way and that to look for signs of metal behind Jasper.

“Mmm, not quite, but I think you nailed a boy in Scotland!”

“Obviously, it’s broken,” She rolled her eyes theatrically, suppressing a sheepish smile as she handed the volatile paperweight back to Helena.
“Your go, boss.”

Helena held the receiver by her ear and pulled the lever down, listening to the glossy clicks of the action with her eyes closed, then inserted another round into the chamber. Down the tracks, about a chain away by her estimate, stood a curve board about the width of a human torso, begging for a bullet.

“If I hit that…” She pointed. You have to shine my boots for one week.”

Astrid’s eyebrows arched upward before she made a show of squinting - nose wrinkled, head craned - to get a better look at their new target.

“That bugger all the way down there?” She stretched out her vowels to the breaking point, finger twirling in the air before drawing to point at the sign. “You hit that, and I’ll shine ‘em with my tongue.”
“Yeah, you’d like that, wouldn’t you?”
Helena
raised the rifle and closed one eye, planting her feet and focusing on the blurry mass well beyond her sights. She hummed softly as though to verbalize zeroing in on the target, and tugged on the trigger.
CRACK!…..plink!
The sign wobbled on its rope from the impact, Helena’s bullet just barely grazing the bottom right corner.

“Oh-ho-ho!” She cheered, holding a flat hand on her forehead to view the swinging sign.
“I hope you’re fond of horse manure, chuckaboo!” She planted the butt of the gun on the ground, holding a hand on her hip proudly.

Dumbstruck, Astrid’s jaw fell ajar, a laugh leaving her mouth as a string of incredulous huffs. If she’d been gathering her thoughts, the offensive imposition of the word chuckaboo falling on her faultless, beautiful ears had stolen them all away. The faint twist of a cringe peeled across her face before settling in a bitter smile. Astrid knew where Helena had picked up such a disdainful noise from.

He’d’a outshot the both of us,” She spoke after a moment, voice small, audibly testing the waters in a direct violation of their unspoken agreement.

Helena’s jovial expression, too, quickly turned awry, Astrid’s prodding comment draining the color from her skin. A young man’s face flashed into her mind, but she dared not recognize it - to put a name to it would be a confession itself, long sealed beneath her psyche. How dare she slice open old scars, mentioning him!
“...Yeah, well I reckon he wouldn’t be out here, would he?” She lifted the gun by the middle of the barrel, storming past Astrid and sticking it muzzle-first back into the carriage.
“Too busy…birdwatching, or whatever his ilk trouble themselves with.”

Astrid’s liquid blue gaze followed Helena as she stowed away the rifle, patient and collected, but with a pearl of guilt still rolling around in her chest as she shuffled her feet and thumbed idly at her suspenders.
“Double or nothin’, I haul more coin off that train than you,” Her mouth began again before her face had time to catch up. Eager for the mercy of a change in subject.

“As much as I was pleadin’ to Christ for a little private time with those boots.”

Helena pressed her palms against the bed of the carriage, her chin lowering to her sternum.
“You’re on.”

Bruce was happy to be the loner on their mission this time. Playing the part of dashing husband was only so much fun 'til you do it enough, not to mention he bounced off better in that role with Helena anyway. He wasn't sure how Conor'd be able to keep his cover without someone to bounce off of for help in the thick of an improv, so going with Mary seemed best to play pretend, at least for now. The boy had skills, so hopefully he could pick up on Mary's acting talent quickly. After all, Bruce already had plenty of time doing the charade with Helena before. He'd played all manner of people, though mostly just with name changes. His characters always seemed to be just a note or two off who the big man really was anyway.

McIntosh did his best to keep from looking attached to Mary and Conor as much as possible, instead opting to find interest in his non existant pocket watch, or his midly scuffed shoes, or a mysterious bloody stain he must've gotten from a nose bleed on his sleeve. He'd have to clean that out. Maybe the suit owner's wife would help him with that. He'd pay her a visit once they were back in London.

He made passing greetings to those who did the same to him, expertly masking any pain he felt in his leg or abdomen, remnants of a night that seemed all too close still. Bruce would make sure this robbery went off perfectly or he'd die trying.

Waiting in line patiently, Bruce gave nothing but a simple nod when Conor looked back in his direction. Speaking, or any other action, might bring some to draw a connection between the fake-Englishman and the real-Scotsman, regardless of whatever Conor wanted to convey to him. Bruce kept it at barely an interaction at all, before abruptly beginning a short conversation with the stout man beside him. "You been to Glasgow before? Lovely city. Me mum runs this quaint little place on Ferry Road. Best pies you're likely to come across. If ye head there, tell ol' Mrs. Douglass that Kaleb sent ye, she'll treat you like royalty, she will!" Bruce rambled on for a bit, discussing careers, travelling, the horrors of the city of London, and just about anything else to pass the time as the line progressed and let people on board slowly. Just blend in, keep it cool. Forget all about murderin' and stealin' til' the party starts. Just another passenger.

Last edited:
Jasper was rather doubtful of his new employer's competence basically the moment they put him outside the train. This lot was supposed to pretend to fit in on that train? Orpheus had a better chance of not peeking over his own shoulder. He'd distanced himself from the others by a couple dozen feet, scribbling on a piece of paper with a fountain pen to pass the time.

The Achaeans launched a thousand ships for a woman less beautiful
And Orpheus crossed the Styx to chase his heart
What great fortune
That my quest, no less worthy,
only takes me cross the parlor floor

He squints at the paper with a furrowed brow and scratches out the third line. A half dozen replacements follow as he chews his lip and eventually simply crumples the paper up and lobs it over his shoulder into the grass with a disappointed groan. It would be easier if his muse were here, or maybe it wouldn't. She was as much a distraction as an inspiration.

His idle thinking is interrupted by the distant thunder of a rifle and the whip-crack of the bullet passing somewhere nearby him.

"Ahh!" He lets out an undignified yelp and drops his pen, flinging himself to the ground for cover and reaching for the revolver tucked into his belt. His hat falls off in the panicked dive and he squints in what he assumes to be the direction of fire before letting out a deeply disappointed sigh. That bitch.

He'd understood that the others were somewhat inexplicably displeased with his sudden arrival. Something about missing their pet American, he'd gathered, but he'd thought all he would have to endure on account of it was sideways glances and a few senselessly rude comments. He'd not anticipated that his own colleagues would be the ones making his life flash before his eyes, and once he's dusted himself off and donned his hat once more he stamps off in the direction of the two women still playing with the rifle.

Once he's within a polite distance he clears his throat audibly.
"Ahem!"

He folds his hands together, posturing politely despite the venom that drips from his lips. "Might I have a fucking word?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back