• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Queen's Hand (Victorian Superpower Agency) [CLOSED]

Kimby

Soft Apocalypse

• 1-queen-victoria-english-school.jpg

The Queen's Hand
    INTEREST CHECK

INTRODUCTION

Hi! Welcome to "The Queen's Hand", a superpower agency RP set in Victorian times. This story is based on a personal project of mine I started 2 years ago which I converted to a RP format. That being said, the first 2 arcs I have planned will be pulled from the original project but anything afterward I hope to do a few character development arcs depending on our cast. The actual lore can be found in a separate tab so if you're interested or just enjoy Victorian & historical settings give it a read!

Although this is a superpower RP, it will be more heavily focused on story development. There will be combat but because I'm inexperienced with the dice system, it will be more plot-driven. Instead, we will use growth by how far we get into the story.

We will also explore darker and mature themes (lynching, mental health, discrimination, trauma, etc.) therefore I am requiring all players and characters to be 18+. And for development and story purposes, all powers will start off rather basic, nothing too complex. This will give us a chance to evolve the powers as the story goes making growth a lot more rewarding.

LORE

The emergence of unnatural abilities was said to have started around the first half of the 1800s. With tragedies from individuals unable to control their newfound powers, the public was fearmongered into persecuting those who exhibited "unnatural" abilities. Dubbing them the "Unholies" and by the end of 1841, more than 500 individuals were unjustly executed for "preservation of public safety". It wasn't until the Crimea war that the Alliance facing Russia saw the use of 'unnatural abilities' to help turn the tide. For the promise to an end of the persecution and protection of these individuals, they formed the "Unholy Army".

With a victorious end to the war, the promise is kept and persecution of these individuals is outlawed. Though groups like the Catholic Church still saw the unholies as a threat - they would lynch whoever they came across. Not only that, but Crime Syndicates taking advantage of wartime have formed with powered individuals of their own, raking chaos across Europe. In order to deal with superpowered threats, under Queen Victoria's order, an agency of these individuals was formed with several goals in mind:
  1. Protect the crown
  2. Serve England (And its alliances)
  3. Fight threats and handle cases pertaining to the use of superpowers.
This agency became known as The Queen's Hand
Edgar Kinsley oversees the agency as director and head of operations.
Ife Jang oversees intelligence and communications
Arjun Karim oversees support and training

RULES
1. This is not first come first serve, I will accept applications after the due date (June 7th 10:00 pm EST). I am also currently allowing a maximum of 2 characters created per person. This is due to an event I am planning for later on in the story that will allow for more characters. Realistic face claims only! Fantasy - Queen's Hand CS

2. Follow all RPN rules, and as stated earlier must be 18+

3. Be active! Please expect to post at least once a week and actively partake in plotting and RP discussion once the discord is made. If you do get to a point where real life takes priority (as it should) please inform me first and we can work something out with your character or if you need to entirely drop this RP no harm done! But communication is key!

4. Literacy. I expect at least 2 paragraphs per post so no one-liners!

5. No God-modding/power play! Keep this in mind when deciding what ability you want your character to have. Check the ability categories for more information! (Available on CS page)

This will give you some sense of what abilities can exist in this world and should help you with what abilities you want your character to have. Feel free to use this as a basic inspiration for your character but feel free to DM me if you are unsure about anything!
Tips for writing your ability:
1. Remember that we are starting all our characters (besides NPCs) with a basic form of the powers. Abilities did not exist until ~50 years ago at the start of the story. We will develop these abilities as the story progresses so leave room for growth!

2. Have realistic strengths and limitations. Limitations can be based on time, energy, athleticism, and more. I invite you to get creative with this part!

3. Try to be specific with descriptions. Like for elemental manipulation: Which part of the body can produce the ability? Is there a certain way your character must cast their ability? Any objects involved with your ability?

4: Don't feel limited by what is listed under each category. If you have something in mind that would fit into the universe feel free to discuss it with me.

5: I plan to develop our powers in a certain direction that will include manifesting other abilities in the same category to a realistic extent. Example: Someone who started out something under the psychic category like telekinesis has found themselves able to also read minds. We will expand more on this once the RP starts and what everyone wants to aim for with their abilities! So keep in mind a roadmap for your ability when you're filling out the application.

Ability Categories:
Since the start of the Unholy Army, scholars have categorized abilities so that it is easier to identify and access situations and help train certain individuals. The agency has since taken over classification with Yoma Jang leading the effort to learn more about these mysterious phenomenons.
  1. Basic elements (fire, water and/or ice, earth, wind)
  2. Electricity
  3. Light
  4. Darkness and/or shadows
  5. Gravity
  6. Magnetic forces
  7. Radiation
  8. Energy
  9. Sound
  10. Nature

1. Superstrength
  2. Speed
  3. Durability
  4. Agility/reflexes
  5. Healing/regeneration
  6. Supersenses
    1. Sight/hearing/smell/taste/touch
    2. Sensing danger (spider-sense)
    3. Sensing other types of events (dishonesty, murder, etc.)

7. Elasticity

1. Telekinesis (moving objects mentally)
  2. Telepathy (reading minds)
  3. Mind-to-mind communication
  4. Mind-control
  5. Possession (total mental control)
  6. Memory manipulation (may include creation/alteration/deletion)
  7. Mentally generated weaponry/objects
  8. Mindblast
  9. Ability to locate someone mentally
  10. Forcefields
  11. “Psychometry”–the ability to learn things about the past or future of an object by touching it

1. Controlling plants and/or animals
  2. Shapeshifting (animals).
  3. Shapeshifting (people)
  4. Self-liquification
  5. Gaseous form
  6. Growth/shrinking
  7. Self-duplication

Climbing/wall-crawling
  1. Swimming/water-breathing
  2. Flight
  3. Teleportation
  4. Phasing/intangibility

1. Illusions
  2. Conjuration
  3. Object-replication
  4. Shape generation
  5. Art generation

The following abilities also exist within the Queen's Hand universe but are listed as miscellaneous due to how rare they are/how hard they are to identify until more information can be gathered.
  1. The ability to remove senses (like inflicting blindness, etc.)
  2. Absorbing someone else’s powers
  3. Negating someone else’s powers
  4. Absorption of life-force

Last edited:
Where/when will there be more information regarding abilities? I had a couple in mind, but I'd like to see how well they fit into this setting. ^33^

Where/when will there be more information regarding abilities? I had a couple in mind, but I'd like to see how well they fit into this setting. ^33^

I just posted some info on abilities on my first post here, once I post a CS page and Lore it'll be there as well! If you have any specific questions on a ability you have in mind feel free to PM me too.

Bump!
Slowly piecing together the CS post but for now here are the NPCs I have in mind! For interaction purposes, characters will be housed in one building. And if any of you are thinking of looking for face claims the age range of this RP will be 18-30 yrs old.

NPCS

Edgar Kinsley
7687c87176321a46df8ff9b5a8aaff96.jpg
Role: Director of Queen's Hand
Department: Operations
Ability: Ability Detection
He is able to detect abilities within a person and what it does. If he touches the person he is able to get a stronger sense of its strength and weaknesses.
Description: A close friend to the royal family, Edgar Kinsley himself grew up in a prestigious family.
When it came to the persecution of the "unholies' Edgar used his newfound ability to detect powered individuals and help them escape from the rage of the public.
It was him that pushed the idea of the Queen's unholy army to win the Crimea war and eventually founded the Queen's Hand.
As director of The Queen’s Hand, he oversees operations and recruitment for the agency.

Ife Jang
b24c8b30999c07467aa6b86351fc5180.jpg

Department: Intelligence
Ability: Clairvoyance
Can gain direct visual information about an object, person, location or physical event either through touching an object related to what she wants to know or touching the person and getting information through them

Arjun Karim
Victoria-and-Abdul-Ali-Fazal-e1505103520848.jpg

Department: Support
Ability: Teleportation
Is able to teleport anywhere in the world as long as he has either
  • The exact coordinates/address
  • Has been there before in the last 24 hours
He can teleport others with him as long as they are in physical contact with him.

Eve Kinsley
ef2f4041ea556b0fd9a0a25baeef7875.jpg
Role: Queen's Hand Secretary / Lady-in-waiting
Department: Support
Ability: N/A
Description: Daughter of Edgar Kinsley, helps out the agency from time to time on behalf of her father.

Agatha Commons
c82ccd8f1525ce9c9fda2a8f647992ca.jpg
Role: South Bank House Mother
Description: The house mother of South Bank House. She's is a kind and caring woman that has watched over the past residents of SBH when it was a safe house for unholies escaping persecution. Though she doesn't have any powers of her own, you don't want to get on her bad side.

I just find myself circling back to this roleplay over and over again. So I just stopping by to say this is an absolute neat idea Kimby Kimby Sadly, I will not be able to join, but I really just wanted to tell you this look very good!

Shivering. You don't know the depths I went to pull up these three options for super powers.

Anyways, these three powers are ideas, so.. I dunno? Input? I'm just putting this down here for note taking?

1. Blood Manipulation-Kind of my number one spot right now, this ability is kind of self explanatory. I WILL give it a limit, however: No using blood to make people puppets, like in Avatar. I may add in a bit of bone manipulation (And muscle manipulation to an even lesser degree). Blood Manipulation

2. Smoke Manipulation- Yeah. I got this idea from Infamous: Second Son. Basically, controlling smoke, and being able to become smoke. To be honest, I haven't put that much thought into it. Smoke Manipulation

3. Temporal stutter- The big iffy. It's... kind of like manipulation of time? Imagine it as a much less precise controlling of time. A small area can be randomly affected with different time flow, for a limited period of time (outside the distorted time area.); furthermore, it kind of alternates quickly between normal time and the altered time. Temporal Stutter

You don't know how many times I had to press random page button to get these three ideas. ._. And the other weird, useless, and frankly cringe-worthy powers that were seen.

I just find myself circling back to this roleplay over and over again. So I just stopping by to say this is an absolute neat idea Kimby Kimby Sadly, I will not be able to join, but I really just wanted to tell you this look very good!
Hey, thanks for stopping by anyway! I really appreciate the thought.

Shivering. You don't know the depths I went to pull up these three options for super powers.

Anyways, these three powers are ideas, so.. I dunno? Input? I'm just putting this down here for note taking?

1. Blood Manipulation-Kind of my number one spot right now, this ability is kind of self explanatory. I WILL give it a limit, however: No using blood to make people puppets, like in Avatar. I may add in a bit of bone manipulation (And muscle manipulation to an even lesser degree). Blood Manipulation

2. Smoke Manipulation- Yeah. I got this idea from Infamous: Second Son. Basically, controlling smoke, and being able to become smoke. To be honest, I haven't put that much thought into it. Smoke Manipulation

3. Temporal stutter- The big iffy. It's... kind of like manipulation of time? Imagine it as a much less precise controlling of time. A small area can be randomly affected with different time flow, for a limited period of time (outside the distorted time area.); furthermore, it kind of alternates quickly between normal time and the altered time. Temporal Stutter

You don't know how many times I had to press random page button to get these three ideas. ._. And the other weird, useless, and frankly cringe-worthy powers that were seen.

I totally understand where you're coming from. I feel like I've spent hours looking at superpowers when initially putting together this RP. 😅 That being said I think all three of these are solid choices. I really dig the blood manipulation and can see why it's in your number one spot. If you did eventually want to go with Temporal stutter, that would be something that would need to be tweaked in order to better fit the environment.

Abyss Abyss Veil Walker Veil Walker FabulousTrash FabulousTrash NeverFiveget NeverFiveget Moomba Moomba darkborn darkborn

CS & OOC page is up!

Feel free to message me with any questions and Lore page will be up shortly for reference

Bump!
Also in case there's no notification from OOC, in order to prevent overlapping in abilities feel free to post a placeholder to the CS page if you already have one in mind thanks!

I hope everyone is doing good, I've set the deadline for CS application for June 7th, 10:00 PM EST let me know if you have any questions.

Hey, I was interested and am currently debating on what kind of character I want to make personally. I'm in other RP's, sure, but If this one is open I'd like to at least make a sheet and decide if it's a worthy endeavor first.

Other than that, nice RP outline Kimby.

Hey, I was interested and am currently debating on what kind of character I want to make personally. I'm in other RP's, sure, but If this one is open I'd like to at least make a sheet and decide if it's a worthy endeavor first.

Other than that, nice RP outline Kimby.
Thank you and you're more than welcome to submit an application to the CS page! The deadline won't be until next week so let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you and you're more than welcome to submit an application to the CS page! The deadline won't be until next week so let me know if you have any questions.
Well, first of all, can I use an anime appearance pic instead of using a real-life picture? Most of the sheets I've seen have those and I would feel more comfortable putting a Victorian age anime character pic in the section.

Secondly, if it's alright with you, what would be the beginning tier of Power Absorption? I know there's to be no godmodding, but it's just a cool power regardless. I was thinking about putting two powers genetically inherited from the mother and father's DNA. The first would probably be this (if not I can think of something else), the other being a bit more impeding.

Specifically, the power is dubbed Calorie Shield, mainly a defensive ability. Now, this power allows one to negate attacks or solid projectiles at the cost of taking an amount of calories based upon the force of the impact. However it can't block everything, such as heat, cold, poison, etc, but its something.

Now, as far as a character backstory goes, I've given some thought about this that would fit the character's theme. As it stands, I could go either way in serving the crown as an agent Queen's Hand, or I could go the Villainous rogue type if you need an anti-hero to counterbalance the amount of players.

The last of these questions pertains not to the RP but out of curiosity. To what means of inspiration did you have to create this idea (not that it's bad thing, rather its good)? I understand if it was a 'spur of the moment' kind of thing.

Ooh, interesting premise for a superpower story. I love me some Victorian vibes. Definitely interested in submitting a character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back