• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Project - IC Thread

Arachne thankfully accepts one of the pills (or injection, if that's how it comes) with a word of thanks. "If we do our jobs right, we shouldn't need this. But I would be a fool to turn my nose up at it. Thank you." She points out one of the cargo cranes. "I'll climb up there. But first, lets all link up our minds." Closing her eyes, she concentrates, opening up her thoughts to include those of her team. It takes only a moment, but when finished, you are now all a part of the Mind Link (unless you choose not to for some reason).

It is one thing to speak into an electronic device, communicating with those further away. But it takes even more getting used to to not be required to speak at all, just being interlinked via thoughts alone. Test. Test. My thoughts are my own, and just happen to cross your minds. Scott looks up, curiously. "Howling is easier - makes the foes' blood run cold as well. Is it working?"

OOC with the painkillers, everyone now has 25% Damage Reduction Physical and Energy Resistant for 5 minutes from the time you take it. Psychie Psychie you might want to wait on taking it quite yet.

OOC with the painkillers, everyone now has 25% Damage Reduction Physical and Energy Resistant for 5 minutes from the time you take it. Psychie Psychie you might want to wait on taking it quite yet.
OOC I have not yet taken it; just accepted it with gratitude. Thank you for the option, though.

OOC: Sweet! :)

"Yeah, thanks Scott! Better to have and not need than the other one." Damien agrees with a smile. "Right so, aquatic team on disabling the boat and intercepting the truck; spider and dingo on overwatch, and the rest ready to deal with anyone from the boat. Hopefully we can take the truck without Al-Kahar being any the wiser, but plan for the worst and you'll only be pleasantly surprised."

There is now less than an hour before the handoff is supposed to take place, if you believe the NSA intercepts. Two of you are planning on heading underwater and planting explosives on the rudder and propellers of the ship that the terrorists are on. Both Damien and Meniru have the Demolitions skill, so you can either back each other up by working on the same charge, or split your efforts up to both plant the C4 on different targets of the ship at the same time?

Given the timeframe, splitting up seems reasonable. Want to make sure we have time to dry off and get into position for the truck intercept.

Fair enough. Down on the docks, the general level of lighting is pretty good, with large floodlights illuminating the whole area. But, thanks to the watchful eyes of your sniper crew and Monty soaring around up in the air, you know when there will be security patrolling the area, and both Damien and Meniru slip into the water without being detected. After a short swim to the aft of the ship, you are faced with twin thruster pods that act as both propulsion and steering at the same time. Saves you some time, being able to have each of you focus on one engine pod at the same time. Do you also plant any explosives along the keel of the ship to break the hull and sink it?

The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries said:
37. There is no "overkill." There is only "open fire" and "reload."

Assuming we have the time, and charges to do so, Damien's totally lining the keel too :p

You have enough to place three sets of explosives; one on each engine pod and a third charge in the center of the keel. The Star of India is not a very large ship, so the amount of the charges under the hull will definitely be enough to bring her to the bottom of the ocean. Being cautious and taking some time to place the charges, you both are confident that they will do the job as planned. This takes up fifteen minutes of your sixty before the truck is due to make the handoff.

From his position up in the sky, Monty is using a powerful set of binoculars to get as much advanced notice that the vehicle is arriving. Unless there is something that a person wants their characters to do before the truck shows up, we can move on to that part of the operation.

Monky Monky Psychie Psychie Silanon Silanon NemoTheSurvivor NemoTheSurvivor Epiphany Epiphany

Arachne is going to keep her position up on one of the many gantries, so long as I'm in sight of the ship and the spot that we are going to have the truck pull over at.

Chewing on a piece of dried meat to pass time, Scott will await the upcoming fight from the top of one of the cranes, his gun at the ready for whenever the foes happen to appear in his sight.

On the way to the intercept point, Meniru needs to observe one of the soldiers (if she hasn't already) in order to Mimic the outfit, but it shouldn't delay the trip at all.

Meniru can spot a pair of terrorists standing guard down by the gangplank onto the cargo ship to get an idea of what to look like to fit in with them. From what you can see of them, the outfit you have on now is a good approximation, and should fit with the appearance that the men in the truck will be expecting. Everything is proceeding as you have planned.

Time seems to crawl as you wait for the arrival of the transport truck, but in reality it is only about fifteen minutes; the truck seems to be running ahead of schedule. Monty gives a warning 'shout' over the Mind Link to get everyone in position. With Meniru waiting out of sight from the ship, you are now all set to have the truck pull over.

Psychie Psychie , does Arachne use her Mind Control power as you had talked about?

Arachne calls out over the Mind Link, "Everyone, stand by. I'm about to give the driver a mental 'nudge' to pull over next to Meniru. Get ready!" She stays in her position on top of the crane, and focuses her thoughts on the truck. First, she gives it a Mind Scan to see just how many people are inside. With that done, she targets the driver with her Mind Control. When it is in position, she sends the mental order, "Pull over right here."

OOC OMCV is 8, and I have 8d6 in both the Mind Scan and Mind Control. With the simple command it should be enough to get the driver to pull over for Meniru.

Damien meanwhile is hidden away ready to provide some heavy weapons assistance should Meniru require it. He has to force himself not to play with the detonators for the explosive charges, instead trying to burn off some nervous energy by repeatedly checking his Mark 23, popping the magazine in and out.

Some of those nerves fade as Monty sounds the alert, and he can hear the rumble of the truck's engines as it approaches. He shuffles deeper into cover, not wanting to tip the men in the truck off to his presence.

Arachne's Mind Scan reveals to her that there is a pair of men in the cab, and a third person in the back of the truck. When you lash out with your Mind Control, you connect with the driver's mind easily, and given the relatively sedate command of 'pull over', he does so, stopping a short distance away from where Meniru.

What do you do now? There is a small window of opportunity to act.

Meniru going to try and persuade the driver that she will drive the truck to the correct destination, and he is to leave the compound. If asked for payment, she will inform him that it is waiting for him at the entrance to the area, but will not mention it otherwise. He is also to take his fellow passengers with him.

Let's roll for Persuasion, which is a 15-. Also, if it should succeed, I would need to know whether driving the truck out of the area (and not in the water) seems viable.

Last edited:
As you work to convince the men in the truck to turn over the vehicle to you, it is clear that the driver is ready to comply, but the passenger is not certain. "Hey, man. We're not supposed to hand this stuff over to anyone but Al-Kahar himself, you get me? Besides, I want to see that wire transfer into my account before anyone gets this cargo."

What do you do now? Do you try to convince him yourself, or do you want Arachne to give him a mental nudge?

Meniry is going to say, "I'm just following orders." She does want Arachne to give the passenger a mental nudge to follow the driver.

Psychie Psychie I need Arachne's help.

Last edited:
With the message received from Meniru, she sends back a thought, Give the passenger a piece of paper and tell him that it is the bank account number. Paid in full. Arachne targets the passenger with a Mind Control order, Listen to the guard. She has your payment info. Take it and leave the truck behind.
OOC Italics are the communication between Meniru and Arachne, and the Bold is the Mind Control.

Meniru is going to follow Arachne's advice, handing the passenger the piece of paper and saying, "As far as I know, the account as been paid."

The passenger takes the paper offered up by Meniru and looks at it for a moment before slipping it into a pocket. "You should have said so earlier. I guess we can leave the truck here for you, but that means we'll have to take a cab back." He suddenly grins. "Its not like we can't afford it, right? Where do you want me to park this beast?"

After getting pointed to a spot, the driver pulls over and shuts off the engine. From the back of the truck, the third man pokes his head out and looks around. "We all set, boss?"

"Yep. Got our payment, and we are out of here. Lets go."

With that, the three men begin to walk back towards the entrance to the docks, one starting to call out on a cell phone, probably to line up a cab ride.

Meniru is now standing next to the truck on the dock, and there is no one else in sight. What do you do now?

Is it possible to drive the truck outside of the area without drawing too much attention to it, or would the best bet be to drive the truck into the water? Is Damian close enough to get in the truck, or will he have to find his own way out?

From where you are, you are not in sight of the cargo ship that the terrorist buyers with Al-Kahar. Also, it the truck arrived about fifteen minutes earlier than you were expecting, so if you pull out now and are seen, you are simply a large transport truck driving through the docks. If you go into the water, there is the chance that the missiles might be damaged by the seawater if the carrying cases they are in are not waterproof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back