• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Prismatic Queen [D&D 5e Campaign]

Naxtaroth

The Raven
Note: The party is currently full, however, if this campaign interests you, I am more than happy to have some players waiting in the wings to take over should someone have to drop or should someone become too inactive. The current waiting list has about 2 people on it.

As of May 10, most of this RP has moved to Discord. PM me about any and all questions you may have about it.

Welcome! This is a D&D 5e RP with a completely homebrew story that is meant as an adventure for a party of five. This is a sandbox adventure, meaning that it will sort of function like an open-world video game. You'll have the introductory dungeon, but then after that, there will be the main journey and plenty of side activities to embark on. The world is vast and there's plenty to do. The big difference with this will be that quests and tasks do have a time frame to get them done. Some of these time frames are in-game months and possibly years, but time frames nonetheless. The more something is put off, the worse it will be when finally faced. Also, random dungeons found in the wild will not scale with the levels of the players. Certain ones will contain extremely difficult enemies, while others will contain easy enemies. I'll roll to determine the difficulty of them when they appear. Dungeons related to NPC side quests will scale, however. Just be careful examining those random ruins deep in the forest. ;) The campaign's main story will be done once the party reaches enough experience to grant them Epic Boons.

As a DM, here are my expectations and rules:
1.) Most importantly, I want this to be a fun experience. Be respectful to each other, don't be afraid to try something crazy, and be sure to let me know if something is bothering you or hindering you from having fun. Maybe it's another player's actions, maybe it's something I am doing wrong as a DM, maybe it's something else entirely, but feel free to express any discontent you have. Please keep it civil, however.

2.) Okay, I lied, this is the most important one. Follow all of the site rules. This game is, in fact, on a forum on RpN. This means all RpN rules apply. No ifs, ands, or buts.

3.) Absolutely no metagaming. Just because you, the player, know information about something, does not mean your character knows. If your character has never before encountered a troll, then they won't know about its Regeneration ability. Don't just have the character automatically jumping to fire and acid damage, have them try out some other things first. If I think you are metagaming, I will pm you about it to see if we can resolve it. If it is not resolved, your character will be penalized. This could be anything from being focus-fired in a fight, to having certain items be stolen/lost/destroyed, to even a player death that is beyond resurrection. That last one will most likely result in the player being kicked from the game and being replaced. So please, do not metagame. If you're going to be an arse of a player, then I'm going to throw it right back at you tenfold.

4.) We will be using some homebrew rules and mechanics.
For the most part, we will be using the 5e Mechanics and rules, but there are a few homebrew tweaks that I have made. Most of these are some of Matt Mercer's homebrew rules from the show Critical Role. There are some rules from him that I haven't incorporated, but I did include most of them. Remember that these are all loose and I want this to be a fun experience for everyone. I am a huge fan of Matt Mercer's line, "You can certainly try." There might be some far-fetched idea you have and want to try and I'm not going to stop you. Do note that the DC for such a feat would be fairly high, but I will always let you try on the off chance you get a natural 20. Well, without further ado, here are some of the homebrew changes I intend to implement into this campaign.

1.) Skill Checks can critical fail or critical succeed. This can make for some very interesting moments, especially if someone rolls a nat 20 in something they aren't adept in or a nat 1 in something they are an expert in. I figure everyone gets lucky sometimes and everyone messes up occasionally. This system helps emphasize those moments of extreme or terrible luck.

2.) We will be using the Variant Feat rules. This means that humans may use the Variant Feat racial skills. If you wish to use homebrew feats, run them by me first, unless it's from a homebrew source I've already given the okay to.

3.) In combat, character's can use one potion on themselves as a Bonus Action, however, administering one to another character requires a full action.

4.) This isn't necessarily a homebrew rule, but definitely something that I want to clarify since it's not fully stated in the rules whether it's okay or not. With Multi-Attack, the rules state that you may split up your movement and move between attacks if you may make more than one attack per turn. I will also say that you may take a bonus action in the middle of the Attack action. This means that a Way of Shadow Monk that can make two or more attacks could Attack, use the Shadow Step ability as their bonus action, and then make a second Attack if they are able.

5.) In the RAW, you may cast a cantrip as a bonus action in addition to whatever spell you cast for your action. For my campaign, you may bump this up to a second level spell, but it must be a spell that can be cast as a bonus action. Things like haste, that give you multiple actions, are the only way you can cast two spells in the same turn outside of your bonus action. A 2nd spell cast while hasted has no level restriction.

6.) On a critical hit, rather than rolling double the dice, you just double the dice roll. So, if your attack is originally 2d6+4, the original rules state that you would roll 4d6+4. With my rule, you'd just roll 2d6, double that total, and then add your +4 modifier.

7.) Player Character deaths. So, this campaign is going to get difficult and I expect, whether I like it or not, that eventually one or more players will end up failing 3 death saving throws. If the player can be revived within a minute of dying, the revivify will ensure a success. However, for players who can't be revived with revivify, I'll be using a similar method to Matt Mercer. The revival ritual requires the body of the deceased character, a cleric, and a gem worth 1000gp. The ritual is a skill challenge. The overall DC is 20, and this DC can be raised or lowered depending on the successes/failures of the ritual contributions. Ritual contributions will be DC 15 skill checks from 3 party members or allied NPCs. The exact skill used will depend on how the player/NPC contributes to the ritual. A success lowers the overall DC by 5, but a failure raises it by 10. I, as the DM, will make the final roll against the overall DC once all three contributions are made. The only way to succeed on an overall DC higher than 20 is for me to roll a natural 20. If a character is revived in this manner, it suffers a level of exhaustion for every hour it was dead, with a maximum of 5 levels of exhaustion. If a character cannot be revived, the player may reroll a new character, starting 1 level lower than their character who died.

8.) I will allow the Beastmaster Archetype for Ranger to have a pet with a CR of 1 instead of the original 1/4. There will also be ways to train and improve the base stats and AC of the Beast Companion since they are pretty frail if taken as is. On the topic of Beastmaster Rangers, I am changing the typical shared turn aspect of the archetype. I find it makes the class sort of weak if the ranger has to choose between taking an action and giving the companion an action. I do, however, realize that animals with low Dexterity should come lower in the initiative order. So, I've made a compromise. The companion gets its own turn, but it will roll it's own initiative, which will be a basic d20 roll with its Dex mod.

9.) All Hit Dice are assumed to be rolled at max value. This goes for leveling, companions/familiars, rolling Hit Dice during short rests, etc. The only exception to this is potions, which will be rolled for.

10.) Null and void mechanics. This is a list of mechanics that I will not be using just because I find them tedious or too complicated to keep track of. The list is as follows: DM Inspiration (not to be confused with Bardic Inspiration), Food, Water, and Lifestyle Expenses.

11.) Crafting magical items, potions, etc. won't take nearly as long as in the PHB/DMG, but this will result in them being just a bit more expensive. Exact calculations will be made by me when necessary.

12.) Short rests can be 30 minutes instead of the normal 1hr minimum.

13.) Roleplay and fun trump any rules from the PHB, DMG, or any other official D&D sources. They even are more important than any homebrew mechanics and rules I've stated. The only rules that trump all are the RpN site rules, but those don't have too much to do with the game's mechanics.

5.) If you'd like to make an action against another player without them knowing, just PM me, I'll tell you what rolls to make, and then I will take actions depending on what rolls are made.

6.) All rolls will be made in this dice room. Make sure you're using your RpN name while in the Dice Room and not the defualt "Alric####" that the site assigns. It's as simple as going to the rolz homepage, clicking sign in, no email or anything, just pick a username and password and you're golden.

7.) If you're in a situation where a skill check might be involved, let me know either in a PM or the OOC page (linked below.) I'll then tell you what roll to make, you'll roll in the aforementioned dice room, and then I'll tell you the result and you can make your post.

8.) These are all loose rules (aside from number 1 and 2) that aren't going to be 100% strictly enforced. I want to get away from this idea of "How can I play a character within this set of rules. You tell me what kind of character you want to play and I will see how we can conform the rules to fit your character in.

So, on to the actual nitty gritty of the campaign. First, you should check the Lore page. After that, hop on over to the Character Sheet page to get crackin on that new adventurer. There will be a post following this one detailing the party and the story thus far, with plenty of easily accessible information such as NPCs, guilds/factions, cities/towns, etc. that the players have encountered.

If you have any questions, PM me or hop on over to the OOC page.

Last edited:
04c3f42f263aca1bd2999d0f2cce85ce.jpg

Our story begins in the small farming village of Myrra.

The sun hangs low, a vibrant red disc in the western sky. There is a slight chill to the air, as a breeze kicks up piles of dead leaves, the trees they fell from seemingly on fire from the vibrant colors of autumn. The villagers are all making their way to the town square, a small crowd already gathered around the central fountain. Word around town is that over the past week, a few strangers have wandered into town, all with the air of mercenaries or adventurers. Damien Roth, the local baron, has called for a town meeting at sundown to address these rumors.

The last villagers trickle in, the town square filled with curious chatter. They all go silent as Baron Roth, accompanied by a handful of soldiers, steps out of the village's temple to Pelor. He stays at the top step, gazing down at the crowd in front of him. He clears his throat, the guards taking up positions on either side of him as he addresses the villagers.

"Thank you all for attending. The night brings brisk winds, so I'll make this quick. As you know, we've had one of our own go missing. I've sent word to nearby towns for aid and even to the Emperor of Osnyae himself for some manpower to investigate the strange goings on in that house. Yet, to this day, I have not gotten a reply." The villagers whisper amongst themselves, some nodding in agreement, some cursing the Emperor's name. The baron raises his hand to silence the crowd before continuing.

"However, we have a light at the end of the tunnel, it seems." His eyes scan the crowd, his gaze locking 5 times with people he's never met before. These must be them. He thinks to himself. "Strangers have come to Myrra, for what I can only assume is an interest in helping us. I'm certain the many bounty notices I've had sent to nearby cities and villages have helped entice some, while the others may be here simply out of the good will of their hearts. Whatever the reason may be, I want them to know that I appreciate any efforts. Now. You may all return to your homes or whatever other business you were attending to."

The villagers slowly trickled out of the town center, the chatter once again rising up. The baron, accompanied by his soldiers, made their way across the square and into the tavern, where they found a large table. "This round's on me." He took out his coin purse, handing a few gold pieces to one of the soldiers. The soldier came back a couple minutes later with a mug of ale for each of them. "So, boss, why are we drinkin in this hole in the wall tonight?" The baron took a swig, his eyes hardly straying from the tavern door. "Surely these strangers are staying here.. I'll catch them before they can head up to their rooms and give them information on what I've learned so far."

A man enters the tavern, his hands stuffed far into the pockets of his trousers. He makes a beeline for an empty table in the corner of the room, plopping himself down without so much of a passing glance to anyone. Resting his backpack onto the floor, he makes a footstool out of it and pulls out a jingling pouch from both of his pockets. The light from the torches scattered around the building shines off his bald head, but he pays it no mind. He dumps the contents of his pouches onto the table, a modest amount of gold, copper and silver pelting the table to form a nice little pile. Raising his arm and snapping his fingers, he motions for a serving girl with a silver piece in hand.

The man spoke with a snooty, high-pitched voice, loud enough to be heard by just about everyone in the tavern. "Hello, darling. I don't suppose I can get a discount on some ale? I am the servant of a duke after all," He would say whilst showing off his signet ring. It was a black metal ring, with a hyena's face inscribed onto it. The eyes of the hyena were rubies and its smiling fangs were diamonds. "The duke of Habogad, that is." The ring itself was proof enough that this was one of the people the baron was searching for. The supposed duke of Habogad, Aranor had sent the baron a letter to say he was sending one of his men to assist with the finding the missing villagers, for a price of course. This servant's name was Paelis Buckable, and he wore a smile that could put a crocodile to shame.

A skinny, but rather tall figure emerges from beyond the doors of the tavern. His back and legs is covered by a black cloak, and the front side is exposed, revealing a black tunic with a belt holding a small pouch full of crossbow bolts. His face, save for one eye, is mostly covered by a mechanical looking mask. The bartender looks up at him eagerly, and the man walks grimly and gracefully towards the counter. He plops a fat bag of coins and a small beaker down onto the counter, and they make a loud metallic noise upon hitting the wood surface. The bartender then hands him a small pair of goggles, and fills his glass with ale. The goggles are too small for the man, but he takes them anyways. He then opens up his cape and straps them onto an owl-like contraption, an walks towards the door with the drink in his hand.
s-l225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After bidding a final farewell to the farmer and his family who had guided her to their hometown of Myrra, the young girl pushes open the door to the local tavern, entering with wide, bright blue eyes and a soft smile. It had been a few weeks since she had last immersed herself in society. Upon arriving from Khusmadet a few weeks ago, she was enthralled by the lush forests of this new land and had isolated herself from its people in favour of its plants and animals. She has with her a simple staff carved of a white wood strapped to her back and a small backpack that jingles softly with the sound glass of as she walks. To those around her, she looks more like a child sent out on an errand than a lone adventurer.

Her long white hair trails behind her on the ground as she makes her way towards the barkeep, trying to smile and greet everyone she passes. She manages to exchange some greetings with a few of the serving girls and some nods from friendly patrons before reaching the counter and climbing onto a stool. One brow of the barkeep, who was preoccupied with other orders at the time, rises when he is met with the taller end of the staff first before the head of the girl comes into view. She gives him a beaming smile. “Hi, it’s nice to meet you. I’ll have a glass of your finest AJ please.”

The barkeep stops mid-pour of another customer’s ale. “A glass of what?” he asks blank-faced.

“A glass of apple juice. Or is that not what you call it here?”

“Kid, ain’t no one be calling any kind of juice by that name.”

“Huh, alright.” Quickly accepting her mistake, she inquires instead, “How much is a glass of apple juice then?”

“One copper and I’ll get you a large glass.”

Handling him the copper, she adds, “I bet you didn’t know that you could get yourself four very nice, pristine suits with one copper.”

“Oh yeah?” The barkeep smiles to himself, knowing where this was going.

Grinning proudly, she says, “Absolutely. That is, if you buy a deck of cards with it.”

A very young, petite elf slips her way quietly into the inn, dressed in sturdy traveler's clothes, a dark green short-sleeved tunic and long leather vest over woolen pants, tucked into knee-high black leather boots. A slender shortsword rides on her left hip, while her fingertips caresses a fist-sized amber crystal wrapped in arcane runes at her right, hanging from her belt by a looped fine steel chain. Her long black hair hangs over her shoulder in a rough braid, contrasting her pale skin as she slips across the room, trying to avoid bumping people as she moves.

A hefty pack across her back, strapped with camping and climbing gear, with a dark brown cloak rolled on the top thumps somewhat loudly on the floor as she drops into a seat at the end of one of the long tables along the wall opposite the door, some of the nervous tension in her posture easing slightly as she has at least one less direction to worry about, and as the serving girl finally gets around to her, she asks for a simple meal and whatever cheap wine is available in a soft, musical voice, digging the requisite silver out of her belt pouch to pass to the girl. Her bright purple eyes keep darting nervously around the inn, coming to rest repeatedly on the Baron, recognizing him from the square earlier, but quickly avoiding eye contact any time he glances in her direction. After a few minutes, she pulls out a copy of one of the bounty notices he had sent out, and mulls over the sparse details as she awaits her dinner, trying to distract herself from the discomforting crowd occupying the rest of the room.

Praela began picking up her gear when the baron's speech finished. The villagers returning to their meek lives kept their watchful stares fixed on the fiendish outsider. She had been getting glances since the moment she had arrived in the village, but the baron's mention of strangers coming to Myrra to help in their problem only further drew everyone's attention to the one probably most strange looking. One of the village children ran up behind Praela as she gathered her belongings from the ground and gave the tip of one of her folded wings a tug, obviously innocent in his curiosity of them. Praela turned around and faced the child. The little boy recoiled expecting the get in trouble for doing something he surely knew he probably shouldn't have, but Praela just smiled at the kid and placed her hand on the top of his head. In the language of the angels, she gave the boy a blessing promising that his bravery and curiosity would one day reward him. The boy gave a puzzled look after she spoke gibberish to him, and ran back to his concerned looking mother. Praela gave a subtle nod to the mother, and then finished getting her things.

The sun was setting, and Praela had noticed the baron entering the nearby tavern with a hanging wooden sign fashioned with an iron bullywug toasting a mug. Praela though it would be a good time to approach the baron about the job, for the night was her ally and natural element, nor did she want to spend any of her days in this flesh-bound nightmare wasting time. The sooner she could start this job the sooner she could reap its reward. Praela made her way to the tavern and entered with an air of authority to her posture. The tavern was busy with patrons already, despite the village meeting having only just finished. She scanned the room, and easily enough found the baron and his guard enjoying, or at least tolerating, some drinks at the largest table in the establishment. She marched over, keeping eye contact with the baron as she approached, and drew a folded job notice from a pouch on her belt and dropped it on the baron's table. "Baron Roth. Rest easy now for I have come to answer your call for aid in investigating the matter of your village's disappearances. This task better be worth my time, or I will be quite displeased. Now, your note mentioned a house. Provide me with the knowledge of exactly which house it is, and I will begin the investigation tonight."

The baron raised an eyebrow at the fiendish individual in front of him, raising his hand to halt the soldiers around him who had stood defensively at the sudden appearance of the woman. "Well. It seems you're the most forthcoming of the strangers." He motioned to one of the empty chairs around the table. "Sit, please." He then nodded one by one to the soldiers to go and get the others in the tavern. They all walked towards their respective targets, each offering some varying form of "The baron would like to see you." During the wait, the baron looked at the fiendish woman. "Not often we get Tieflings in these parts of Osnyae, but who am I to turn down an offer of aid? Surely the villagers have given you no trouble." He knew from the woman's expression she was here purely on business and wanted information here and now, but he rather disliked repeating himself, thus, he waited for the others to gather around before continuing on.

As they all seated themselves, one by one, his soldiers simply stood a few feet back, encircling them all. The baron gazed around at the group gathered around at the table. "So. One of our local farmers has gone missing. That much you all know. Something else you should know, however, is that I've sent countless soldiers down there to no avail. Due to none returning, any word of the condition of the house has escaped me. The house you seek lies on the outskirts of town, about a quarter mile into the fields to the east of the Temple of Pelor, the building I addressed the town from. Thankfully, we've already had our annual harvest, so the fields are flat and barren as of now. Should make it a fairly easy trek and you can easily see the house from the back of the temple." He glanced around at the strangers. "I would advise that regardless of your just having met, that you five stay together. I intend to send two of my finest with you. I can have them meet you at the temple tonight, or tomorrow morning if you wish to get a night's rest before investigating." He sat back, taking another sip of his ale, letting the conversation pass on to those in front of him.

Paelis was disappointed to hear that the baron was ready to speak with him. He had barely touched his ale and was quite parched. Flashing the soldier a smile, Paelis rose from his seat, making sure to bring his backpack with him and waltzed over to the baron's table with his drink in hand. Helping himself to a seat, Paelis wasn't too comfortable with being surrounded by the baron's soldiers, but he knew he had nothing to fear so long as his façade wasn't revealed. Paelis had made sure he was sat across from the baron, his way of telling the others that he'd be taking the lead on this 'quest.' Especially the winged tiefling, who he figured would've taken his spot had he not procured it for himself. She seemed like a bossy and stubborn woman judging from how she spoke to the baron, and he wasn't keen on taking orders from some weird freak of nature. "Alright gaffer, what's the problem then? Don't leave anything a mystery now, alright?"

Paelis sat there listening to the baron's spiel, tapping his fingers on the table with his cheek resting in his free hand. When he had finished, Paelis was the first to speak up. "I say we have ourselves a good night's rest and head off to work in the early morn! I'd bet my right hand that most've us have had a long trip here, I know I have! What use is there in going out and investigating when we can't even get our knees up? Am I right ladies and gentleman?" Another thing he assumed was that the tielfing would have wanted to leave as soon as possible, so the only logical choice in attempting to annoy her would be to do the opposite and sleep until morning. He would've bet his right hand that the others were somewhat tired as well, so suggesting that they all have a rest would most likely earn him some points with the others. Paelis was determined to be the decision maker of this little group, whether any of them liked it or not. And when they had all eventually come to rely on him, and the perfect opportunity presented itself, he'd paste them and make off with everything they've got, plus a little extra.

Upon receiving the sweet amber liquid, Calla takes the glass of apple juice in both hands and proceeds to down the entire thing in one go. Once more, the barkeep’s eyebrow rises at her peculiar behaviour. She sets the glass down with a light thud and sighs contently. “That hit the spot,” she declares before burping loudly, imitating a wealthy merchant she had seen in another tavern who had really enjoyed his drink.

At that moment, one of the baron’s soldiers taps Calla on the shoulder and gestures to the table the baron is seated at. She is hesitant to go at first but knows that it would be rude to ignore the baron, especially on her first day in town. Waving a quick goodbye to the barkeep and druidcrafting a tulip for him, Calla follows the soldier and climbs onto a chair next to a man with a very shiny head.

After listening to the baron’s request, Calla nods in agreement to offer her help. Although she truly does wants to find the people who had disappeared, she is worried about some aspects of the request itself. If the baron’s soldiers haven’t returned from this rescue mission, what was the likelihood of success for this ragtag group of strangers? The most she could do is wrap some vines around someone in attempt to prevent them from disappearing. But then again, who’s to say that the missing people didn’t just evaporate from this plane once they entered this strange house?

Calla surveys the rest of the group curiously. Beautiful black wings catch her eyes immediately and they brighten with interest. Never before had she met a tiefling but from the other's commanding presence, Calla senses that she is someone of power and importance. Every member of their group seems like someone you would only want to fight if you had bet on yourself losing - skilled people who were dangerous if cornered or provoked. It was clear that there was a gaping abyss between them and her when it came to combat experience.

Before she could linger on her doubts any further, Shiny Head begins addressing the group. He seems to have everyone's best interest in mind and she considers that pretty admirable. Calla agrees with Shiny that it is wise to rest and start refreshed in the morning, but she is also concerned for the missing people who may not have much time left. Looking around at the group with her arms pillowing her head on the table, she waits for their opinions to determine their next plan of action.

Last edited:
Althaea tastes a sip of the wine, and thanks the serving girl as she starts to enjoy her stew and bread, but stops to watch as the tiefling interrupts the baron, and her eyes get wide as the guard comes over to ask her to join them.

"B..b..but..."

Her protest dies unspoken at the look on the guard's face, and she quickly picks up her pack, making her way to the table with her wine in one hand, bowl of stew in the other, and her hunk of bread firmly between her teeth. As she settles back at the table, she digs in quickly, devouring the food in a few minutes, as she listens to the baron outline the goings-on and frowns at the half-elf trying to get everyone to jump straight in. She mops up the last of her stew with the crust of bread, pops it into her mouth, and chases it with the last of her wine, then sets the goblet down quietly. She speaks up nervously, glancing over at the others from her end of the line of seats, though as she speaks, she becomes a bit more animated as she fires off a string of questions.

"Mister Baron, sir, um, what exactly are you hiring us for? Are we just scouting the house to see what's in there? Are we supposed to rescue the missing people? Or are we supposed to clear out whatever's making the trouble if we can? And the parties you've sent in before, were they all just your soldiers? Did any spellcasters, a cleric or anyone like that go down with them once? And how much are we getting paid, for what services? Pay for scouting, with bonus for rescue and threat removal? And how much? And were there any rumors or anything about the family that lived there? Unsavory habits, consorting with demons, worshiping dark gods, *fey* associations, that sort of thing?"

Althaea almost spits the word 'fey' with venomous hatred, but her eyes suddenly widen as she realize how she's talking, and to whom, and she winds down quickly, pulling meekly back into herself and dropping her gaze to the table.

"Sorry... I just... information is useful, and if we need to be planning a rescue, speed can be important."

Paelis flashed his signature closed mouth smile, which practically stretched from ear to ear at the now suddenly chatty elf. "Jeez, it sounds like you really know your onions, lady. I hadn't even asked half of those questions, but you listed them off like you were reciting a bloody speech!" He promoted his lipped smile to a toothy one within a second of complimenting her, Paelis was never one to waste a moment, especially when it came to schmoozing. Turning his head back to the baron and gave him the same smile from earlier. "You'll have to do a better job of explaining the situation baron. Information is key when it comes to stuff like this."

Paelis glanced at the elf girl from the corner of his eye, scowling at her within the safe confines of his own mind. Another reason he wanted to stay the night was so he'd have more corpses to loot when they arrived at the house. Paelis assumed that all the missing people had probably been killed or were going to be killed, which would make for easy pickings for him. He was especially excited to pick off some gear from the baron's soldiers, who were bound to have some lovely trinkets and coins on them. If they had all decided to go right away, Paelis would be less likely to hit pay dirt when the time came to play hero.

( GoodTeletubby GoodTeletubby ; Spoken to)

Last edited:
The baron sighed, pointing to the paper the tiefling woman had slammed down. "Well, surely if you saw the bounty, that will answer two of your questions. The total reward is anywhere from 25 to 75 gold per person depending on how much a person does. This includes a 25 gold reward for investigating, 25 gold for taking care of anything that might be causing these disappearances, and a 25 gold reward for either rescuing the man and my soldiers or removing any doubts about them being dead. If you happen to rescue one, they are free to reward you additionally, though that is entirely up to them. As for your other questions, the local temple has indeed lost a couple clerics, however, only a couple since it took one or two investigations before I sent anyone other than my soldiers down. Spellcasters aren't common around these parts, so we haven't been able to send anyone of arcane or natural magics down. The man who vanished was a lone farmer. A young human man in his mid twenties who had stumbled into Myrra a few years ago. He came here with no ties. Just a simple guy looking to make a living through field labor."

At this moment, a half-orc woman stepped forward. The baron glanced up, nodding at the woman. "Sinada, a pleasure." He turned back to the group. "This is the owner of this tavern. She can inform you about the man's goings on in the weeks before his disappearance."

The woman crossed her arms, offering a stern nod at the baron, before addressing the group. "For weeks, he kept talking about having met a dazzling woman. The other tavern goers would always jest with him and poke fun, but this mystery woman never showed her face. One night, he didn't come here. Some of the people he typically drank with went to visit his house and see if something was wrong. Whether it was too much ale or the truth, they claim that they heard a woman's voice, a seductive, lulling tone, coming from the inside of the house. They said they knocked and the voice went silent. No one answered."

The baron sat back, scratching his head as he continued the story from there. "Next morning, apparently they informed some of the soldiers. Two go off to investigate, one comes to inform me. Just like the man, those two never came back, nor did the next 4 groups I sent in there. I honestly have no clue what to expect, because no one who has learned what is going on lives to tell the tale."

Last edited:
Raising her head, Calla smiles kindly at the baron and asks, "Baron Roth, did you send 4 groups in one after another or all together? Cause if it was the former, shouldn't you have known to stop at the second group or something, seeing as nobody was returning? And if it was the latter then what did you think they were up against to send that many people in at once?" Swinging her legs back and forth, her attention drawn to different things in the room for moments at a time (Oh neat, is that an owl? But it's shiny like metal. I wonder if it's shinier than Shiny Head's head), she continues, "It seems like whatever you were doing really wasn't working. But that's okay, we can be your plan B." The situation didn't seem good at all, and the village had already lost a lot of people especially considering its size.

"Do you think we can talk to the people who heard the woman's voice?" She turns to look at the tavern owner. "They seem to be the only non-disappeared people who might know something about this mystery woman. Maybe they can give us something to start off on before we visit the house."

Althaea flinches at Paelis' comment. He reminds her of the merchants her dad had to beg jobs from at the docks back in Etheluma, quick to praise small matters of common sense, masking their untrustworthiness with appreciation. She frowns, considering the little information available as she rolls her crystal back and forth between her hands in her lap as she muses quietly, her face somewhat sour.

"The loss of the clerics makes it somewhat less likely that we're dealing with undead or unholy forces. A capable spellcaster, or a fey seems more likely, given what they describe of the voice. Coercive magic, rather than combative. Far more insidious and dangerous. No offense, Baron, but those who make the best soldiers usually are some of the worst prepared to deal with such powers."

She looks around at the others with less confidence than she would like, wondering if there'll be any chance of an actual team forming.

"As late as it is, I'm afraid I think that our best chance is to move quickly if we want to improve the chances of rescuing people."

(Thanks for waiting for me. ;-; )

The mysterious muffin man was about to leave through the small doors of the tavern, when he was pulled aside and informed that the baron wished to see him. He sighed and turned a knob on his mask.
With a deep, monotone voice, he said:
"What? I've got other business to attend to, I can't see the baron right now."

The soldier stared at him and then replied with, "He wasn't asking if you wanted to see him, the baron needs to see you."

"And if I don't see him?"

"Why does it matter? Just go and sit down"

"... If I must. Then fine. I don't want to make a scene"

He sat down at the table and in almost complete silence listening to what the baron had to say, interested in the parts about money. Until the barkeeper sat down did he finally show some kind of interest with anyhing besides money. "So she never showed her face, then? Sounds like something out of an old story about a man getting seduced by a succubus. If the man was never seen again before that I have reason to believe that she killed him for his soul. Perhaps she was sent by a master, maybe a lich or some evil sorcerer? Just an assumption... She's probably holed up in there waiting for someone to show up, grieving about her dead husband to anyone looking for him."

Paelis was starting to get bored with the back-and-forth conversation, not to mention the boy's deep, flat voice was practically putting him to sleep. But, if the thing behind all this trouble really was a succubus or something like that, then perhaps all the captives had been killed already. If that was the case, then Paelis thought it would be better to leave now rather than wait till morning. Seeing as how pretty much everyone else was ready to go anyways Paelis shrugged his shoulders, drank the last of his remaining ale and looked around at his 'companions.'

"Well, if that's the case then I suppose the rest of you are right. Maybe it would be better to leave now, if there's some kind of otherworldly bugger faffing around in that house. I mean who knows, some of those people might still be kicking around in there!" Paelis said with a fake tone of worry in his voice.* "Well, unless we have more questions to ask the nice baron, I say we put our detective caps on and solve this mystery!" He would say, standing and slamming his hands onto the table. "Oh, actually, I do have one little query for you your baroness, but as it is of a more political nature, I humbly request we speak of it in private. Say, just outside the tavern before we set off to the house?"

*(I'd like to roll a deception check here so I can trick the others into thinking I actually care about the missing people)

Praela begrudgingly accepted the baron's offer to sit, but as she was about to pull out the chair across from the baron a bald, insolent, half-elf slinked his way into the chair first. Praela's eyes cut into cat-like slits and she clenched her jaw. The arrogance of that insignificant whelp! Does he not know who I am? she shouted in her thoughts, but her own words made her pause mid fury. No, of course he doesn't. You've not introduced yourself yet. She made a mental note to herself to be patient with the mortals. They were only ignorant children, and her wrath was not meant for them. Refocusing herself, Praela softly exhaled her frustration and pulled out the next closest seat. Her eyes returned to normal as she awkwardly tried sitting in the chair resulting in one of her wings getting briefly caught on the edge of the short back rest before she managed to comfortably wrap her wings around the chair's back. Praela having had spent the major portion of her current, and ultimately temporary, form in the wild was not used to sitting in chairs.

Keeping her composure as best she could, Praela sat quietly passive as the bald boy tried inserting himself into the position of dominance among the group the had now gathered at the table. She couldn't help but literally bite her tongue as her mentioned waiting till morning before setting off. Despite avoiding eye contact with him she couldn't stop seeing that slimy smile of his in the sides of her vision, but before his blatantly deliberate attempts to get on Praela's bad side could make her boil, the elf girl at the table interrupted and began asking several questions in quick succession. Some of the questions were valuable ones; others were just plain dumb, but all of them were irrelevant. Knowing the answers to these questions were not going to change the fact that Praela was going to solve this case easy, even without the help of other adventurers. Still, the young girl was wise to take precautions. Praela had always favored mortal patrons who were diligent thinkers during her lunar reign. Praela's opinion of her raised when the elf suggested leaving that night.

For the rest of the conversation between the group, Praela remained quiet and half daydreaming. She couldn't help but feel nostalgia at the thought of the good old ages. Doting thoughts about the young elf slipped into her mind. Perhaps she could turn the girl into a champion of her's. It gave her hope for the future. Lost in her self, Praela missed what had been said by the others, coming to only as the bald thorn in her presence slammed his hands on the table. Apparently he had been swayed to the idea of leaving that night, though his reason was suspicious. Nothing about this boy made Praela think him decent and humble enough to risk his life for others. Perhaps he told the truth, but merely wished the fame from saving others. No matter, his fleeting attempts to gain power or wealth would be nothing more than an annoyance in her grand scheme. The party was ready to begin, and so too was she.

Praela rose from her seat and bid the baron an insincere farewell as she lead the way out of the inn expecting the others to follow. She was not about to let the half-elf delay her any further just so he could chat longer with the baron. "Talk all you want half-elf, but I'll not entertain your distractions any longer. If you wish to earn your share then you best keep up." she sternly remarked towards the half-elf without so much as a glance before exiting the inn. Once outside, she looked up at the night sky soaking in the softest light of the night to unwind the tension from her recent interactions with such an offensive mortal. Praela then got her bearings and started walking towards the direction of the house the baron had instructed them with knowing the others would be shortly behind her.

The baron listened to the discussion for a bit and then when it seemed the group was in unison about when they were heading out, he nodded. "So, it's to be tonight." He waved to one of his soldiers, the man leaning down as the baron whispered in his ear. The soldier nodded and headed off. Returning his attention to the group, the baron waved his hands encompassing them all, save for the tiefling that had gotten a head start on the rest of the party. "I will be sending two of my soldiers with you. If you wish to begin investigating right away, that's fine by me. They'll join up with you at the house" The baron then turned to the half-elf. "As for your inquiry, if you wish, we may go talk for a moment, yes. There's actually a much more private spot than the town square that we can go before you head out." He gave Sinada a look, the orc woman giving him a nod before returning her attention to the gnome girl. She shook her head, an apologetic look on her face as she answered the gnome's question. "Seems all this sobered 'em up real good. Haven't seen them in here since that night. I personally don't know where they live, though the town is small, so not many places they could be."

The baron gave the half-elf a look before rising. He moved along past the bar, through a set of saloon style double doors. Two of his soldiers took up position on either side of the entry way, allowing only the half-elf to come through. Through these doors was a dimly lit storage room lined with various crates, sacks, untapped casks of ale, and racks of glass bottles, all filled with various wines, liquors, and other alcoholic spirits. The baron turned to the half-elf as he entered. "So. Political matters, you say?" He looked the man over, taking note of the hyena ring. "Ah, you must be the aid that the, who was it again? Duke of where? Hagbodeth?" The baron scratched his chin in thought, his words growing softer, almost in a tone of talking to himself.

"Hmm. Intersting, never heard of that town or village." His attention returned to the man, eyes narrowed slightly. "This duke. Where is he a duke? This town or village he's apparently the duke of. It's no town in Osnyae, least not one I've ever heard of. That hyena ring, as well. No noble houses here have a symbol like that." Though his tone was slightly suspicious, it was mostly filled with curiosity at just who this man in front of him was. "I'll warn you, I have limited power when it comes to anything outside the nation of Osnyae. Only the great Emperor Talbot and his council can deal with anything of great foreign importance. I'll try to help in whatever way I can, however."

Everyone else seemed to know so much about so many different things. What even was a succubus? Something evil most likely. Calla found it hard to keep up as she listened to the young elf woman and the human man deduce the possible cause of these disappearances. Earlier, she had caught the word fey, and had heard the bitterness in the elf woman's voice as she said it. Surely there weren't any bad fey wondering around in a town like this? Not that she had met many bad fey before, and she had only heard stories of the horrible things courtless fey did to people of the material plane. It would be quite awful to run into them here, or anywhere really.

"That's unfortunate, but at least they're safe. It was worth a shot though, thank you," she says to the tavern owner with a smile. "It seems like we're all set to go, probably no time to question anyone beforehand anyways."

Watching the tiefling woman leave the tavern, and then Shiny Head into another room with the baron, she turns to look at the elf woman and the human man remaining at the table. "Hi there, I'm Calla," she announces brightly with a small hand outstretched. "It's nice to meet you. Seems like we'll be going into a spooky house soon so let's stick together. Do you think we should we wait for Shiny Head?"

Paelis bowed his head in respect and followed the baron into the other room. The storage room seemed pretty dust to Paelis, which made him thankful that he hadn't ordered anything that might've crawled out of this mothball-scented room. "I thank you for your audience, Baron Roth. Your presence humbles me, truly it does." Paelis flashed the baron a nice cocky, toothy smile, but what else was new? He stood there and listened to the baron speak with arms crossed, listening to his every word especially when the baron began to question Paelis' origins. He couldn't just doze off while he spoke this time, because if Paelis said the wrong thing here it would most likely blow his cover. Paelis raised his index finger to interject right after the baron had mistakenly call his hometown something else. "Actually your baroness, its Hagobad. His Dukeliness, Aranor of Habogad sent for me to aid you with this most serious circumstance your town has fallen into."

Paelis was only half lying this time. Habogad did truly exist, however its existence is more or less ignored on account of multiple reasons. "Well my lord, Habogad is a little swampy town just bordering the Spider Forests of Patches south of Bosnia. Honestly, the town is so out of the way of everything else that some cartographers don't bother to put it in their maps. Its so peaceful in fact that most locals have come to call it the retirement village." Paelis chuckled whilst covering his mouth, it was especially funny for him considering he was the one who coined the title when he was still a boy. Taking off his ring and holding it out in his hand for the baron to see. "The Forest of Patches was once home to a particularly savage band of Gnolls lead by an especially nasty one by the name of Patches. These Gnolls would travel under the cover of the forest, which as you know spans all the way from the outskirts of Swansin to the borders of Juklan and terrorize the roads leading between them. For many years they would spring from the trees which littered the side of the road, striking swiftly and fatally and then cowering back into the sanctuary of the forest with their winnings. His greatness, the Duke of Aranor was once a powerful mage of the swamps who would look after the people of Hagobad with using his various magics and sorceries. Faking a somber expression, Paelis continued saying, "Aranor hadn't bothered taking care of the Gnolls, at least not until they attacked the village."

"And so then he ventured into the forest, delving into the cave that the Gnolls had called home and using his powers, he slew the savage Patches, and scattered the remaining hyenamen across the forest. After word of this brave and noble act was carried to the Emperor, Emperor Talbot saw fit to reward him with the title of Duke, and the rest is history." Paelis returned his ring back onto his middle finger and continued with his lie. "The symbol of the Duke of Habogad is supposed to resemble that of Patches the Gnoll, and the Duke's victory over one of the lands greatest foes. I came into his service about a few years after his lordship came into power and the rest became history." From his backpack, Paelis pulled out a scroll which was covered in a rustic, yet somehow regal looking text. Putting on the most formal expression he could muster, Paelis would begin reciting the words written on the parchment. "Now, let's get to business, shall we? As payment for the services of Duke Aranor's servant, Paelis Buckable, his lordship demands payment in the form of 225 gold which is to be delivered either by a group of your most trusted men and servants or by myself. If you choose to send the reward through one of your own, I of course will be there to accompany them and to ensure they arrive in Habogad safely, if at all." Rolling up the scroll, Paelis gave yet another smile and stared down the baron with his dollar sign eyes. "So, Baron Roth, do you find these terms acceptable?"

Althaea's eyebrows raise as the tiefling heads out of the inn with intent, and she watches the half-elf leave the room with the Baron with a slight frown and a shrug. At the gnome's greeting, her face softens, and she smiles softly, giving Calla's hand a shake as she introduces herself, then bows her head in human's direction.

"Althaea, Althaea Liadon. Task mage, abjurer, wanderer. Pleasure to meet you both."

She slips off her chair and hauls her pack off the floor, turning towards the door with a slight chuckle.

"I think we'd best get a move on. He'd obviously prefer to trade political favors rather than get the job done, he can catch up after he's done schmoozing, and I think our winged friend may very well kick in the door on her own, if we're not there quickly enough to satisfy her."

She shakes her head as she heads out the door to follow the tiefling towards the location of their investigation, breaking into a jog to catch up with the winged figure.

The baron lightly scratched his goatee. "Hmmm. Well, I admittedly have no idea what any of those places you mentioned are.Though, I suppose they could be remote locations in another province. Since trade is done through the major cities of each province, it wouldn't be beyond possibility for some newer towns to have cropped up in the past few years." He thought to himself for a moment before producing a small pouch. "I'll pay you 100 gold forward, as a sign of my respect for your Duke, and you'll get the rest, in addition to the 75 personal reward gold for aiding the village." He then motioned for the door. "Speaking of which, I do believe an investigation is in the near future for you."

~~Meanwhile~~
A large male orc with light green skin and a bald head with a jet black goatee strolled through the town center, a short human woman with pale skin and strikingly vibrant purple hair at his side. He was garbed in the typical soldier armor, a battleaxe in one hand, the blade resting on his shoulder. The woman, who was wearing basic leather armor, was decked head to toe with daggers. Dozens of sheathes lined the arms and legs of the armor, each containing one of the small blades. They made their way past the temple and out into the fields beyond, their intent being the house where the man had disappeared.

From their facial expressions, the woman and the man seemed to be having a conversation, though neither were talking. It wasn't until they got close enough to the house to see four individuals that the woman parted her lips and audible words came out. "Oi, you the poor saps we've been told to help out?" The woman's voice resounded through the air, its tone changing depending on who was listening. None who heard it would describe it the same, as it seemed to be a voice that took the sound of whatever pleased its listener the most. "The name's Jiliana, and this brute here is Kuran. Let's just try not to die like all the others, okay?"

She folded her arms, raising an eyebrow at the group, looking them over. Once again, it seemed as if her and the male were having a conversation that no one else could hear. The man seemed to nod in response to questions that weren't asked and almost had a glazed look to his eyes as if he wasn't quite all there.

The others were slow to leave the inn, slightly irking Praela. It wasn't too much longer that the elf girl that had made a good first impression on Praela caught up to her with the others shortly behind as Praela walked to the backside of Pelor's Temple, spotting the lonesome looking hut across a few empty fields. "It would seem that is the house the baron was talking about." Praela remarked to no one in particular pointing towards it. "Perhaps the perpetrator has taken their victims captive for some ritual. I might not be too late to stop it and learn the ritual for myself. Let's not doddle. My time is invaluable." she said with genuine compassion in her tone, though her words still revealed a layer of selfishness and arrogance. Once again, Praela began walking with a sense of urgency towards her destination regardless of whether the others were following or not.

Being only a quarter of a mile, it only took approximately 5 minutes for them to cross the field and reach the house. Praela began offloading gear she considered unnecessary to keep on her in case they got into a fight. The backpack was heavy and it affected her ability to fly due to it restricting her wings' range of motion. She equipped the round metal shield that had been slung to the side of her waist in her right hand and made sure her odd and large book was securely fastened to her waist, much like the shield had been. As she readied herself, she caught the sight of two additional individual approaching from the same direction they had come from. Okay, she mostly just noticed the large Orc out of her peripheral, and then subsequently the woman to his side after she looked their way. They were wearing armor befitting that of the other town guards so she pushed any initial suspicion she had out of her thoughts.

Once they were close enough the colorfully haired woman called out rather rudely, though Praela was aware of how it was sometimes colloquial among mortals to address each other in such fashions so she let the offense slide. What was shocking to Praela was the voice the woman had. It was uncanny. Incredibly familiar but off by just a bit. It's like the woman was trying to mimic the voice Praela had during her divine reign, but no mortal should have been capable of speaking like a goddess. Not truly that is. Although she had excused her previous suspicion, this one she would not let go. Her eyes narrowed and she readied a cantrip in her mind, just in case. The woman introduced herself and the Orc before jesting about staying alive. Praela took the joke more serious, though. While Praela wasn't convinced the woman was hostile or attempting to manipulate them, the fact that Jiliana knew what Praela used to sound like was beyond any conceivable coincidence. Praela was not going to let her guard down. She watched as Jiliana began whispering or something to the big Orc. It looked all to close to manipulation, what with the Kuran's eye's glazed over like he was in a trance.

Praela responded with some attitude, "Don't worry about me. I won't let anyone stop me from fulfilling my destiny." Emphasis on the anyone.

Althaea is quiet over the hike to the hut, mostly concentrating on getting there. Once they reach the building, she sets her pack down by her feet, but as she watches the tiefling pulling things out of her own pack, her hand tightens around the straps of hers, the thought of leaving anything of her possessions behind deeply disturbing her. She relaxes slightly as she turns away, and watches the ones whom she assumes to be the baron's support team come across the fields to them, a slight smile crosses her lips at the woman's greeting.

"Not on my list of plans for the night, no."

Althaea lets out a soft laugh, and grins a bit more widely as her hand plucks her amber off of her belt, the crystal rolling in her fingers as her hands weave a spell, her voice flowing through the words to the spell, and the runes engraved in the crystal tracing themselves with arcane energy. An aura of coruscating power flows out from her hands, up her arms, and over her whole body in a double layer before fading from view. The nervousness of the social setting seems to be fading somewhat from her, and the chance to be doing something has Althaea smiling more easily as she addresses the tiefling and the two soldiers.

"Best to be prepared for something unpleasant, though. I'm Althaea, it's good to meet the three of you as well, now. And I'm afraid we missed introductions back in the inn, miss...?"

(Casting Mage Armor, AC becomes 18, Arcane Ward activates with 13 HP)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back