• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The President's Son

Luella had always loved Nancy Drew, sitting cross legged before the telly, right beside the hearth of the fireplace, all snuggled within her favourite fleece blanket. 'Getting to the bottom of it' was always the part where it got exciting. If she needed the toilet, she knew that now was the time to quickly pause and run to the ladies room, before it got so interesting that she simply could not leave. Yet, hearing those words uttered aloud did not change much, if anything at all. There was no end of scene, and the opening of another, where Nancy and her sidekick would be carefully scrutinising a clue that they simply stumbled upon. Instead, there was just Luella and Duncan, sat opposite each other in mere silence, succumbed to their own thoughts.

If anything, she had to be thankful, and she was. In truth, she'd expected him to react much worse. Not necessarily because she thought that he was short tempered, she didn't. After so many years of having to create profiles for real people as if it were a character board for a story book, Luella liked to think that she could read people perfectly. Perhaps, it was because she was fretting; she had something to lose. What that something was... she wasn't sure exactly. So far, it was a considerable warmth. Being sound Duncan, she'd already claimed, was like that feeling of being wrapped in a comfort blanket before a hot fire. For some reason, she wasn't quite ready to lose it so quickly, especially considering she'd only just found it.

"That will be easier said than done," she broke the silence, stifling a yawn. "I have reasons to believe that we shouldn't trust the bureau. I don't think they believe that either you or your father and anyone close to him has a reason to bomb the capitol". Luella placed her hand on her cheek, as she rested her head upon her arm. "No, this is different. It's not what they suspect that you have done, but rather what you know. They're scared that you're getting too close to something. Something is being covered up, and from now on we really need to be careful about who we can trust".

Another yawn. She supposed that's what you deserved, when you stayed up reading files until the sun cracked the flags, and had to wake only a few hours later. The bed behind Duncan Moran was taunting. It was like a carrot dangled upon a stick that a donkey could never get, so close and yet so far. In fact, unable to control herself much more Luella stood slowly from where she was sat, and allowed her small frame to collapse backwards and sink into the foam of the mattress. Her eyes squeezed tightly shut, as she attempted to momentarily shut out the world. "I've dealt with a lot of them - terrorists, rapists, serial killers - but you can't imagine how much scarier it is to be battling against your own government, something that is supposed to be the very foundations of most life".

She pulled the pillow from the end, and nuzzled it under her chin. Her odd eyes flickered open, finding Duncan's face. "I don't know if it's a good thing that you're comparing yourself to a serial killer, but I don't think I can pretend you didn't say that". She flung her pillow at his head, smiling to herself mischievously before grabbing the other one. "What makes you think that they didn't assign me to you because they know how incredibly attractive and seducing that I am, and they knew that you wouldn't be able to resist my charms?" Wiggling her eyebrows teasingly, Luella cuddled the other pillow against her chest. "I think that seems more credible".

Duncan smiled - with a little mischief in his eyes. “Actually, I think they figured you could burrow your way under my skin like a flea or tick with a few well chosen and constructed questions and suck me dry.” But he had trouble maintaining his attention on Luella. He glanced back at the monitor to check on Caleb.

Duncan was a man who professed to have a fear of being a sociopath or psychopath. Given his history that wasn’t an unreasonable fear. In fact, he feared this more than the therapists who had treated him after his ‘rough patch.’ He understood the dangers of dissociating from people. His whole high school curriculum had been all about forcing himself to be sociable. He had chosen to stay in mainstream school to be around people, no matter how uncomfortable it made him just to live like a normal person. For him sanity was a conscious choice.

Most men would have been focused hard on Luella. Duncan was past that. He was concerned with her family. His attention lingered a little too long on Caleb - only a couple seconds. Then he looked back around to Luella. Then his eyes widened with an epiphany.

“That’s exactly what they did. They sent you to distract me.” He tried not to smile. “Yes. You are distracting. You know, I didn’t date in high school. I avoided girls. I didn’t want to be distracted. So … I was intimidating. I built up this shield that made me seem unapproachable - that relegated them all to the friend zone. I still do that I suppose.”

Duncan smiled and got up, limping slightly as he walked around to have a seat on the bed next to her. “You are exhausted. You didn’t sleep last night. I didn’t sleep that much myself. But I can’t sleep this time of day. Besides, it’s a short flight.” He paused. “So … ARE you … you know … flirting … with me? I think that’s happened before, but I usually don’t notice. Wait, let me …” he put his glasses back on, stared at Luella for a moment. His jaw dropped and he yanked the glasses back off. “Oh crap, you ARE flirting!” He looked at the glasse, then at Luella and back at the glasses. “Would you believe these are x-ray glasses?” He cocked his head to the side and looked back at Luella’s … chest.

They weren’t; but some mischievous part of him wanted to get a reaction out of Luella on that subject.

"Pft," Luella's nose crinkled. Using her elbow to prop up her head, she rested her cheek in her hand, and faced him. "Wake up, Moran. You're dreaming. These other girls you talk about, they aren't me. If I wanted to have a pompous ass around all the time, I wouldn't try to date you. I'd simply do some overtime back on Pennsylvania Ave, far less tormenting than being around you, and at least I'd be rich".

Rich, that'd never been her aspiration in life, nor famous either. Sure, when she was younger, she'd wanted to be an author. Yet, that wasn't for the fame and fortune. No, that was about doing what she loved, inspiring others and living in a world of her own -- far, far away from this hell hole of one. In fact, she couldn't remember a time when she hadn't wanted to be a writer. Well, there was a time in school when she considered staying local, becoming a primary school teacher. Why not? She loved kids, and had perfect experience helping to raise Caleb.

Speaking of whom, her little brother was now strewn on the ground, lying flat upon his stomach, kicking his little legs in the air, as he drew his pictures -- no doubt of animals. Consoled that he was okay, her attention was returned to Duncan, who seemed to be taunting her. For someone who claimed to be so isolated from people, he sure knew how to be a tease.

"You're lying," she retorted, narrowing her eyes, sceptically, at the President's Son. "Duncan. Stop it". Her arms flew across her chest. "Stop it, I mean it". Luella could feel her face reddening. She knew that he was trying to taunt her, and to some extent he was succeeding. With anyone else, she could easily dismiss his lies, but this was some kind of tech genius nerd. He invented things for the government; who was to claim that they were not truly x-ray glasses?

Therefore, Luella moved quickly from where she was laying, crawling towards where Moran was sat and attempting to whisk his glasses from his face, but failing. This, of course, gave him time to move -- and Luella, who had always been short for her age, and smallest of her year, had to attempt to reach them by stretching.

In doing so, she attempted to pin him where he was sat, a hand on his shoulder, another reaching up. Yet, to keep him sat firm, she had to include her legs, straddling him down as if he were an animal that needed to be contained. Alas, she managed to whisk them away, before pushing him backwards and placing them on her own face... nothing.

"You dirty, little liar," she laughed, hitting his shoulder with her hand, lightly. "I should've known you weren't so talented as to create something so intricate". Two could play at the teasing game, Moran. Just you wait.

“I didn’t LIE. I merely asked you if you would BELIEVE it.” The lines around his eyes crinkled with mirth. Then he became a little more serious, his voice dropping an octave. “I never lie. At least I try not to. But I do keep secrets. Goes with my job…”

He was becoming consciously aware of their respective positions in bed. In bed. Well, that just opened another whole can of worms. He squirmed a little and forced his brain to come up with something.

“They aren’t working for you because they have biometric security. TECHnically they aren’t x-ray glasses. But they CAN see through clothing after a fashion. But no, I wasn’t abusing them like that.” His mischievous smile returned. “And they are WAY more intricate than I can tell you. Classified. Even your Director doesn’t have the clearance to know what these do. Not even Mom and Dad. Noone.”

His face took on an expression of loneliness for a moment. He looked as if he was going to say something profound, then shook his head to shake the thoughts away. Then he seemed to try to get back into a lighter mood. “I work too much. I know the whole point of going back to Albuquerque is to get back to work. But it will be good to take a short break first - hopefully away from crowds with questions they don’t even understand what they are asking about.

“Here, let me have my glasses back.” He frowned. He smiled again, this time flushing. “I wish I HAD used that function.” He cleared his throat. “But I’d much rather see …” He stopped abruptly. “Uhm .. yeeeah …” You know, Blondes always annoyed me in high school. There was this one cheerleader - the head cheerleader. I did tutoring for the school. She kept monopolizing my hours and never studied. Then she got mad when I ignored her and started a rumor on social media that I was gay. In the vernacular of V, she was a vain and vacuous vindictive vixen. Don’t get me wrong. She was pretty. Nothing upstairs though. And she wanted me because I was the new team captain.”

Still looking up his eyes dropped to study her chest. He grinned. Then he removed the glasses. “I wish this were a longer flight. Less than 3.5 hours.”

IMG_1558.GIF

Asshat.​

That was one of her amazing insults. Yes, Luella, too, could be quite the inventor. Asshate, fuckshit, cunticus prime, the list just went on and on. Guess one could say that she had a way with words, so graceful. She couldn't really claim them to be pleasant, but then again they weren't supposed to be.

Duncan was an asshat; he always talked about how successful he was and the hottest cheerleaders who wanted to date him. Whoop de doo. Look at me. I'm the President's son. Incase one was wondering, an asshat is someone who's head is so far stuck up their own ass, that they may as well wear the anatomy as the accessory itself.

It wasn't that she thought Duncan unlikable. He was. Yet, such comments always managed to make her teeth grind and her fingers tense. "I don't," she yawned, running a hand through her unkempt hair, which had become ruffled in the process of them messing around. "A longer flight means more time stuck in here with you".

Standing from where they sat, Luella brushed down her clothes and gestured to the door. "There'll be plenty of work to do regarding everything that is going on behind the scenes in government. We can't neglect that. I need to get this shit together, because next time I go back to the Bureau, I need to have my act together". Hopefully, between then and now, they'd have a chance to get to work on who they could trust, at least.

Elle had a feeling that Duncan was used to be a lone fish on projects. Lone fish, was that even a term? Anyway, the fact was that they couldn't afford to push her out of this. Both of her jobs, and how she could batt her pretty long lashes at an old senator, was enough credit to add to an investigation. Duncan needed her. He could develop all the technology that he wanted, but this would take an added touch of something more.

"And yes," she tilted her angular, little chin. Her small hand upon the door handle, slightly pulling it down. "I did say we. You're not pushing me out of this one, asshat. I'm sticking around. And, no, before you get any ideas... not to see your face, as beautiful as you think it may be". The door was tugged open, revealing the main area to the duo, and the two of them to the rest of the members.

Caleb, who was still drawing, dropped his pens almost instantly and ran towards his sister. He was big now, possibly even slightly above average for his age, but she still lifted him up and held him tight for a cuddle. He could do that, cuddles, as long as the touch sensation was firm and not soft. "How's things, bunny?" Bunny had always been her nickname for him, or at least since he was six. He'd won a white and pink bunny rabbit teddy bear in an Easter raffle, that had become his comfort blanket. He still slept with it to this dad.

"Good," Caleb beamed. "I was just showing Miss. Shades how to draw a pig". He ran back towards his picture, picking it up and fluttering it in Luella's face. Had she not became accustomed to Caleb, such an act would've been a severe violation of personal space. However, it was really nothing new.

"I like it. I like it," she nodded, pretending to critically evaluate the drawing. "However, you missed something out".

"Huh?" There was a sharp inhalation, as Caleb began to scrutinise his own picture. Luella took his moment of distraction to her advantage.

"You forgot..." her hand extended to his face, slowly, stealthily, swiftly. "The NOSE!!" She pinched his own, pretending to have withdrawn it from his face. "I got your nose," she sang, wiggling her thumb in her hand before him. "Try get it back". Her arm extended as high as it could in the air, and she laughed warmly, like the buzzing of a honey bee against a sweet mid-summer's day breeze, as he jumped to try and reach it.

Patches
Warning: animal cruelty pics inside

NPC's

Employees
(They stay at the main house.)

Chase's Parents

The £323m bulletproof 'limo' that dwarfs a Hummer | Daily Mail Online
Duncan’s limo

The jet landed at Albuquerque International about noon MST. There had been one subject he hadn’t broached that really needed to be broached - out of Caleb’s earshot - and before they got to Albuquerque. That was the matter of Caleb and a rescue farm. Duncan had thought about Caleb’s interest in animals and wanted to give the kid a chance to see a rescue farm, on the chance it could become a future career for the kid - like veterinary medicine. Duncan was always the sort to think about the future and long term issues.

His limo was practically a tank. It had everything, even a drink bar - but with no alcohol of any kind. It had an XBox as well. And there were several copies of science fiction books by an author named James Braxton in a box in back. Braxton’s books had been turned into blockbuster movies. There were enough of the books to raise an eyebrow for someone observant. Why would someone have multiple copies of such books? Of course Duncan noticed the attention the books got, but said nothing. He didn’t know what sort of books Luella liked. Probably boring crime books - or nonfiction.

The trip to his estate got them there by about 1 PM, by which time Duncan was starved again. He had asked about any medical issues in the way of allergies and the like and had those sent to his estate staff, both Marcy and Masumi. He had even made sure there were no snacks in the limo that Caleb couldn’t handle. The entry to Duncan’s estate was a security gate. The entire estate had a wall around it. The place was as big as an entire subdivision. In fact, that is exactly what Duncan had done. He had bought the land slated for a whole subdivision and build his house on it - as well as his telescope dome. Greenhouse, guesthouse, indoor pool, … His house alone was a small mansion.

“Welcome to my humble abode. First things first, I think.” He was smiling again. “Caleb may like this.” He smiled broader. “I hope. I want to introduce him to a friend of mine.” A young man dressed in a butler outfit approached them. Duncan’s security seemed to already know who the guy was.

“Welcome home sir.” Kevin Nolan struggled not to smile. He help up a silver platter with a lid.

“Really?” Duncan eyed the platter. “Marcy’s idea? Or Masumi.”

“Chase. He sense of humor is improving.”

“Thanks Kevin. And you know how I feel about being called Sir.”

“Beats what Chase suggested.”

“I can imagine. Do me a favor. Keep her away from Luella Andreas here. I do not want them comparing notes.” He started to reach for the platter.”

“Oh wait! Chase wasn’t sure if you’d have a knife with you so …” He nodded at the platter. “She insinuated it would be too complicated for you to operate.”

Duncan lifted the lid and smiled. There was a nice red apple with a small bag of brown sugar. Next to them was a butterfly knife - a training version. Duncan coughed a laugh. “Yep, about what I expected. I missed this. Tell her thanks.” He started pocketing the knife and brown sugar. The apple he just carried. “We’ll be over in a little bit. I hope Patches isn’t too upset.”

Now Duncan had to explain. “Caleb, I have a horse here - a stallion. Stallions are a little bit more aggressive than other horses. I rescued him when he was just a yearling. He had been pretty badly hurt. But I nursed him back to health with a bit of help. I always bring him an apple with brown sugar every day. I spoil him a bit. Now I am going to feed him first. He usually won’t take apples from other people. But if I give him the first half, sometimes he will. But he won’t take it without the brown sugar. I am going to have to show you how to hold it. And you can’t be afraid.

“Security folks. You need to keep well back. He doesn’t like guns. And he can smell them. Gary, you should be okay. He’s used to you.”

(Duncan is going to tell Patches he is trying to “impress the chick” and to be nice.)

Of course, like everything else Duncan possessed, his limousine was state of the art, cutting edge piece of technology. Yet, Luella couldn't help but wonder if it all felt weird to him. Duncan had never been raised in such luxure. So, at what point did this start to feel like the norm for him? Personally, she couldn't ever imagine feeling at home in a manor as big as the White House, or being carted around by a bunch of angsty looking officials like some kind of pooch. She could imagine that, behind closed doors, it was a difficult life.

In spite of all her wondering, Luella remained quiet, as they sat together inside the spaceship of a car. Caleb, who had still not taken off the helmet that Duncan had gifted him, was sat with his eyes glued to his cellular device. He was watching a YouTube video, like most children. Yet, on the contrary, it was a video on how to build a bike from scratch.

Usually, this would be a moment when Luella would ruffle his hair and comment on how cute he was, but the helmet kind of ruined the moment. Instead, she turned her attention to the books in the car, lightly trailing her fingers over the spines as she read the author and titles internally. Braxton, it wasn't an author that she could claim to be well versed in. Although she'd read one or two back in her days, when her friends had pushed them upon her claiming them to be "just like Stephen King or Dean Koontz, only better".

Not really liking science fiction but appreciating them authors, Luella complied. The books were well written, enjoyable, but not her slice of cake. They were stowed neatly in the library at home, whilst the classics and her favourite genre, historical fiction, took prized possessions glistening on her bedroom bookshelf -- broken, from where read so much, but all the more loved for it.

IMG_1575.GIF

Duncan's house was extravagant, to say the least. Although, she couldn't see this until the door of the car was opened, and a friendly enough looking gent assisted her out. "Thank you," she whispered, not quite wishing to interrupt his conversement with Moran. Her small fingers reached out to brush down her jeans.

She didn't really listen to their conversation. For her father had always scolded her that such things were rude and unfriendly. Therefore, she took a few paces forward, wide eyed like a Disney princess at her first ball, before turning around to see how her little brother was doing. "Caleb, you're going to have to take off your helmet soon," she nibbled on her lip to refrain her laughter. "I've got your headphones in my bag, so--". The young boy shook his head defiantly, or at least tried to as much as he could without restraint from the bulkiness of the device. Rolling her eyes, Luella shrugged her slender shoulders. She could only hope that he could hear at least a tad bit of what Duncan was instructing him.

"Horses are beautiful creatures," Luella remarked as they trudged towards the stables. "You ever wonder how life would be if we had just stopped at that, riding horses and building houses from wood and stone? You know, we laugh at their simplicity... stupidity... but I can't help but thing the world was a better place for it, and much more exciting too, when it had not all been discovered". Perhaps, this was her inner historian speaking, but there was something about modern day society that was just... soul destroying.

Duncan grinned when Caleb refused to take off the helmet. He had been afraid of that. But he had thought of everything when he made the modifications to the helmet. “Sorry about that. But he can hear me just fine. Internal speakers. And I have the transceiver.” He leaned over to Luella and whispered. “I’ll make sure you have some extras. You can call him anywhere in the house. And the link is encrypted. It just so happens I know the top two computer people in the world … well, at least in the nation. And that helmet will protect his head if Patches doesn’t behave. 9-10 years ago I wouldn’t have tried this. Only thing I am worried about now is that I have been away a little while and he might miss me too much. Otherwise I’d let you feed him the first half. We can try that tomorrow. He’s only allowed one apple a day. Horse doctor’s orders.”

Duncan sliced the apple in half and sprinkled some brown sugar on the exposed flesh of the apple. He seemed to study Patches’ behavior. “Well hello there. Tell you what my friend. Maybe a rare treat?” He handed the apple half to Luella. Then he poured some of the brown sugar into his own hand.

“Caleb, you need to watch how I hold my hand. Flat, almost curved up. Though when it is your turn you will have half an apple. Try to be careful not to drop it. I’m going first because Patches misses me and he is going to be a little excited. Someone hurt him real bad when he was much younger and I rescued him. So he used to not trust people. I have worked with him for years now. But I still need to go first.”

Patches was getting impatient. Duncan leaned in to the horse. “Hey bro. Trying to impress the girl. Make me look good.” He backed off a bit so Caleb and Luella could watch as he fed the horse the brown sugar. The horse hardly said thank you and instead strained a little past Duncan toward Luella and made a couple biting movements. “Hey now. Calm down. You know you are getting the apple. Nearly ten years. Have I ever missed a day?”

Duncan hesitated only for a moment. “Luella, if you want to take a chance on it, I think he’ll be okay. But careful about the apple - how you hold it. Like I showed Caleb.”

Patches was excited but well behaved all things considered. He took the apple without a hitch. The horse was even better about it by the time he got to Caleb.

Duncan liked to describe Patches as the most beautiful horse in the world. But anyone who worked with show horses would have thought Duncan was simply blind. Patches was - well - butt ugly. Duncan had shown Luella the pictures from when he found the horse with the broken plow still attached, sunk to his belly in mud, and wrapped in razor and barbed wire. Duncan even admitted to shooting at a Sheriff and deputies when they pulled a gun to shoot the horse. Duncan had been damned lucky the Sheriff had been one of the better ones. No charges were filed.

Once the feeding was done Duncan told them that lunch was probably ready, but he’d be along soon. “I need to spend a little time with Patches - and brush his teeth. And I am sure you will need a few minutes with Caleb to get him cleaned up for lunch. But I don’t want to just show up here, then walk away like Patches didn’t mean anything. He’d think you were all taking me away from him. I guess now you know one of the the reasons I was going crazy in DC. ”

+++++++++++

The meal was brought out by Kevin followed shortly by … a female sex object dressed like a maid / butler named Kaylee. Kevin was just starting to announce the first entree when Duncan almost choked.

“Has Marcy seen that?!” He was staring at Kaylee.

Kevin seemed unimpressed. “She was bored.”

“It’s a surprise for Xander,” Kaylee purred. “He has too many brains. I am going to get rid of them so I can understand half the things he says.”

Duncan laughed. He was doing his best not to stare, but turning a little hot under the collar himself. “Why … thank you. But seriously, Marcy might give Kevin some flak.”

“Relax, Marcy DOES know. I promised her I’d keep this away from any of your distinguished guess like all the military brass - and not give any of those Nobel Prize winners a heart attack. Although I think they would be grateful for me stirring old - very old - memories.” She looked directly at Luella. “Xander and I are married.” She stood behind Duncan and looked down, then back at his guest. “I you ever want to borrow the outfit …”

Duncan actually stood slightly straighter in his seat.

Kevin got everyone’s attention once more. “For lunch we have some fine comfort foods. First we have:

Makoun, a pasta and cheese casserole also known to the Swiss as Älplermagronen. It has macaroni, cheese, cream, onions and potatoes.

Four Cheese Haute - macaroni, basic cheese sauce and bacon with an astounding cheesy kick as I added Gruyere, Fontina, Gorgonzola and Parmesan cheeses.

Simple Mexican - mustard and curry powder with a plenty of grated Mexican blend cheese.

Spicy Mexican - exotic spices of coriander and cumin mixed with Jalapeno chilies do wonders with Monterey Jack, extra sharp cheddar and Parmesan.

Seafood Mac and Cheese - lobster meat complemented with cheesy Gruyere and extra sharp cheddar.

Veggie Mac and Cheese - Four Cheese with Feta and Spinach.

And the Millennial special - Mac and Cheese with weenies.”

Kevin smiled. “Bon appetit. Sample if you prefer. I’d be disappointed if you didn’t try them all. And don’t worry when there are leftovers. Nothing goes to waste.”

Duncan looked over. “Either my staff enjoys - or they have friends at UNM. College students are always hungry. I certainly plan to sample most of them. Of course, I have the advantage of having tried most of these. Few new ones though, so I want to try those…”

“This is good,” Duncan nodded. “Really good. Kevin, those classes are helping. Trust me on that.” He looked at Luella. “Kevin’s been taking culinary art classes with a friend of my Mom’s. He has all sorts of talents. Actually one of his best talents is tailoring.”

Kaylee saw that as her way back into the conversation and gave a not so subtle smile. “Kevin’s mother ran a wedding apparel place.” Her smile faded as she continued. “He helped out there.” Her eyes took on a look of pain as she realized she had brought up a subject she probably shouldn’t. “Sorry about that Kevin. I wasn’t thinking.”

Kevin smiled. “It’s alright. Kaylee…?” He nodded his head in a gesture that suggested they leave Duncan and his guests some privacy.

Kaylee sulked, but took the suggestion. But she couldn’t resist one more suggestion to Luella. “Duncan has lots of brains too.”

Duncan actually turned red as he knew exactly what Kaylee meant by that. Once the girl was gone he sighed. “Sorry about that. At least she isn’t as bad as my mother.” Duncan laughed a little. He reached out and grabbed a glass of grape juice and raised it. “To … something. Newlyweds?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back