• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Plague: A Slow-Burn Zombie Apocalypse

OOC
Here

Cavemanman

The Superior Weeb
An apocalyptic virus spins its fingers around the globe, raising the dead and causing mass mania. Amidst the apocalypse, two societies emerge, both of which will decide the fate of America, and then the world. Which society succeeds is in the hands of a few survivors.

RULES:
1. This RP is going to be very character driven, so be prepared with your best characters.
2. Don't be a douche.
3. Let's not touch too heavily on sexual themes, since it's a zombie apocalypse, detailed gore is allowed, but no images. Drawn or otherwise.
4. If you have ideas, communicate them to the OOC before introducing them to the main story
5. This isn't exactly a fighting RP, try to avoid contact with infected at all times.
6. Secondary characters are allowed, just do go too wild with them.

Chapter One: Dawn of a New Day
Ish woke up. The sunlight beamed down through his green window curtains and onto his face. It gave a soft, warm glow. He blinked the sleep away from his eyes, and stirred a bit more in his soft, warm bed, not wanting to peacefulness of sleep to go away so soon. After a few more minutes of trying, he gave up, and slowly climbed out of bed. His room was cramped, due to the cheap nature of the flat. It only held his bed, his drawer, and a desk, no closet. There were posters tacked up onto the walls, bands he sometimes listened to, old movies he liked. They were more so there for the comfy feeling it gave him. He stood up from his bed, only wearing a white t-shirt and some basketball shorts, then made his way into the conjoined kitchen and living room, which was just as cramped as his own bedroom. The counters and tables were cluttered with junk his Aunt got out and didn't bother to put pack up, as was the coffee table in the living room. He made his way to the couch, covered in five blankets, then plopped down on it, turning on the television.

"More startling reports from Saudi Arabia has the public and other government officials raisin questions about the sudden quarantine of the Middle Eastern nation. The CDC, who conducted the quarantine, had an official respond to a board of U.N. Chairmen." The woman behind the news desk said, before the camera cut to an older looking man speaking in front of a podium, with about fifty microphones on it. "We at the Center for Disease Control are doing every in our power to keep the situation in Saudi Arabia, Korea, and China under control. We can assure you that quarantine has not been broken. The virus we are facing with is simply new to us, there's no real worry to anybody outside of these areas. We please ask you to dispel and discourage any rumors from spreading." The screen then cut back to the lady behind the desk, "An international flight from Korea to Los Angeles was intercepted on it's landing, and the LAPD believes it is connected with the recent attackings. More info will follow after the break." The woman behind the desk disappeared, and mindless commercials took her place. Ish began to let his mind wander, he had a dream last night, but what was it?

Della sighed into her steaming cup of coffee as she sat in the break room at Hartford Medical. She was on her third cup and her 14th hour and currently, she was living off of caffeine and a strong sense of duty. As another resident strolled in and began to brew another pot of the bitter liquid, Della turned her gaze up to the TV in the corner of the break room. On the screen, a newscaster spoke on the ongoing virus type deal over in Saudi Arabia, Korea, and China. As a physician, she was mildly intrigued by the recent reports but her work had kept her too distracted and exhausted to really pay much attention to the stories.
"What do you think it is?" she asked the other resident. They just shrugged. They weren't trying to be rude, they were just as drained as Della was. She couldn't blame them and, after a brief moment, she forgot all about the T.V. too. "Just 2 more hours," she thought "then I can go home and sleep it off". With that in mind, the short woman stood, tugged her extra long brown hair into a messy bun behind her head and left the break room to prep for the next surgery she would be a part of.

An hour had past, and Ish grew tired of watching television. After a few more times of hearing it he quickly learned that the news team had little to no information on what was happening halfway across the world, and was only reporting rumors. He turned it off and made his way out to the flat's patio. Perfectly instep with all other aspects of the flat, the patio was small and cramped, and the over-abundance of Aunt April's plants didn't do it any justice. He grabbed a pitcher of water, sitting out there for the sole purpose of watering them, and began to evenly distribute the contents. If it wasn't for him, the plants would have withered away long ago, his Aunt bought them when she felt like being more "eco-friendly", but then never had the time to water or actually nurture them. He watered them until the pitcher was empty, then he set it back down and returned inside. There he noticed the door to his Aunt's room was open, and she was there, wearing a tank top and a pair of pajamas, rummaging through the cabinets. "Did you finish off the Pop-Tarts?" She asked, almost accusing. "No." Ish replied sternly. He really hadn't, she had ate the last two packets when she came home drunk two nights ago, but every inconvenience always had something to do with Ish. Maybe he shouldn't think that way, was it really fair for him? His Aunt was only 30, and still very much a kid in a sense. She didn't cook, she didn't clean, she only went to work managing a fast-food chain store, then went off with her co-workers, either doing drugs, drinking, or both. She hadn't been a mother to Ish, not that it was a requirement, she only had to give him board, and even that she flunked at. Ish cooked for himself, despite how pissed of she'd be when he didn't cook for her even though there was barely enough ingredients for one serving. How pissed she'd be whenever she'd come how and the house was still dirty from whenever she messed it up again, how she went on about how he didn't clean anything up. He dealt with it though, he dealt with it pretty well. He was lucky when she went on one of her party streaks, and didn't come home for a few days in a row, those were the times where he could finally have some peace to himself. He'd move out if he could, he was surprised she let him stay after he turned 18, after he wasn't her legal obligation anymore. Maybe she let him stay from the barren charity of her heart, maybe she just didn't care enough to tell him to leave, maybe she enjoyed having a walking, talking, scapegoat. Someone she could pin all of her problems on. "If I didn't have to take care of my nephew, I'd go back to school and get a better degree, teenagers are hard work, I'm allowed a little drink every now and then. I really wish I could pick up more shifts, but you see, I take care of my nephew. His mother, my sister, passed a few years ago, he's still all torn up and I'm his only family left."
"So no Mac and Cheese either?" She asked, peering into another cabinet, "You should honestly ask me before eating my stuff."
"It was mine." Ish said, returning to the couch.
"What?" She asked, closing the cabinet door.
"It was mine, I got it at the dollar store, paid for it with my own money."
"No," She started, "That one was mine, eating my shit is one thing but don't fuckin' lie about it." There it was, her skinny arms grasped the door hard, and her sharp mean face tightened her lips. Ish didn't want to deal with it, with her. He sprung up from the couch, "I have to start getting ready for work." He didn't, it didn't start for another three hours, but he needed to get out of the apartment.

589968Amar tucked into his bowl of cereal as he watched the morning news from a television mounted on a far wall, sitting across from him were his two daughters; Kaiya and Rita. Both were giggling and talking to the other twin like all three year old girls do. Finding himself gazing at his two wonderful children, Amar couldn't help but smile greatly as the morning sunlight illuminated their golden brown skin. Thanks to good financial times for the family, they could afford to have a beautiful white kitchen island installed in the middle of the room. It not only served as a place to eat meals whilst sat upon stools but also proved handy as a matryoshka doll-like storage area, with many small storage slots to contain anything from a collection of kitchen knives to spare wine corks. Sikhs are forbidden to partake in the drinking of alcohol but it nonetheless serves as a great party asset for his wife's family and friends. Speaking of Amar's wife, Helen was somewhere upstairs and probably up to her eyebrows in jobs to do at the station upon arrival. Asking her to relax and not worry about things is like trying to get blood out of a stone, ain't happening anytime soon.

"Papa? Watch me, watch me!"

Kaiya spoke up to attract her father's attention. The girl's fine motor skills were still a bit rusty as she haphazardly waved her spoon around from it's bowl, splashes of milk flew in all directions and the little one giggled with sheer joy at the sight of the white splatters on the centeral island. Both girls were already dressed up by their mother in smart but cute dresses, their hair tied back into simple pony-tails and their mouths had previously been scrubbed clean by Helen. Amar isn't a man to let his wife do all the child-rearing but she has much more of a soft touch with the twins so he accepts his fate as second best in their view. Not to be out-done, he awaits the oppertunity at every corner to give his children as many life-skills as he can provide. His parents did their best with him and Amar isn't about to slack when it comes to his Daughter's education.

589993"Yes Tārē, Papa's watching you destroy the kitchen."

Tārē, the Punjabi word for star. Amar's knowledge of his ancestor's language was limited but he fondly recalls his Mother calling him the pet-name as she and Amar's Father emigrated in the fifties before he was born. Despite being born on American soil, speaking with a North American accent and growing up within the American educational system. Amar had some trouble in his child-hood with right wingers, racists and those ignorant to a changing world. His Father and Mother came to the country in order to not only give their children a better future but to also provide Amar's Father the chance to earn a good living through his education in hydo-engineering. At the time, dams and water generators were all the rage in both the US and Pakistan so it's no surprise that a profitable life could be found in constructing and maintaining vitual infostructure.

Amar looked up from his bowl once more, upon noticing the mess around and snatching the chance to lecture. He stood up, wondered over to pick up a cloth and went to work once more to clean up the spilt milk. "You know, when you've both grown up. I'll be sure to make plenty of mess for you two to clean up, when Papa and Mama are old and need you both to take care of them." A faint grin found itself on Amar's face as he wiped around the twin's faces to clean them up. Perhaps getting them dressed before breakfast was a mistake but it's become part of the family routine and Amar is regularly hesitant to change things up, regardless if it's inconvienient at the best of times. The remark probably didn't register with the girls in the way he had planned but they laughed anyway at their hard-working Father so perhaps half the battle is won.
590004With the kitchen somewhat back in order and time running out. Helen flew down the stairs from the bed-room with a near-overheated laptop under one arm and a half-eaten croissant in the other. She was the head-admin at the station the couple worked at and it was non-stop work from sunrise to sunset for the plucky woman. The men at the station regard her as a 'Super-Woman' as Helen is almost impossible to nail down for a five minute conversation as there is always something for her to do. The stress of running a station and all it's micro-managements has clearly taken it's toll on Helen as she struggles to sleep at night and not even make-up can disguise the bags under her eyes. Helen comes from a jewish background herself but religion isn't as important to her as it is to Amar, that said Helen was initially resistant to the idea of their children growing up to embrace their Father's Sikhism but the two came to an eventual agreement that religion would play little to no part in the children's lives until they came of age to decide for themselves on what they believe to be their own rightful path.

Helen's family and Amar's were surprisingly supportive of their marriage, to risk sounding cliché, the power of love must have won both sides over. Family occasionally visits the areas but the couple moved away purposely towards a more secluded area of town to give themselves the space to make their own choices. It's interesting to think that these two work collegues became lovers, Amar's initial thoughts of Helen were that she'd never be interested because she was always working so hard. 'No time to stop and socialize, there is a spreadsheet to be getting on with'. Nonetheless, the couple often took time away from work to relax and focus on what's more important to the both of them, the family.
590024Amar had started the day off right, donning his blue technician uniform and tying his turban as he was taught by his Father. On his right wrist he wore the traditional 'Kara' bracelet made of cast-iron and Amar wore his 'Kirpan' dagger on his hip. Whilst a normal Kirpan would be a type of sword, a dagger may be worn in it's stead as it is much more appropiate and legal to do so. A small wooden comb was concealed within his turban and finally his cotton-made undergarments completed his 'Pañj Kakār' but like many other Sikhs, Amar does not follow the commandment to never cut his hair or beard. Coming from a medical background, his face needs to be regularly trimmed to maintain appropiate hygiene standards. Helen disliked Amar carrying a Kirpan dagger, it's crooked tip and short lenght made it perfect for getting up close and personal with a combatant but Amar has repeatedly explained it's importance as Sikhs are sworn to protect those in need from evil and it is only used in self-defence.

With everyone fed, dressed and ready for the adventure ahead. Helen took the children off to the nearby school whilst Amar stayed at home for the time being, they usually wait until the twins are safely in school before heading to work. It would be a waste of fuel to drive them all to the school and then to the station and gives Helen the chance to conversate with her daughters as they walked the few roads to the school. Meanwhile, Amar decided it would be a good idea to keep tabs on the young-men and women that assist at the station as part of a work-program. Reaching for his phone and texting away to Isherwood Clark, Amar took the time to work out a plan in his head to give the young mechanic something to do on this wonderful day. With a flash of his thumbs, the message was sent and Amar sat back for a few minutes whilst he awaited Helen's return and Isherwood's reply.

I. Clark
them
Good morning Mr. Clark! I hope you're up for a challenge today? Helen and I are going to be overlooking the engines at the station and we could do with your skill-set as i'm sure there will be alot of maintenance to be done. To say thank you for all your help with the machinery, we would love to take you out for a meal at the end of the day and pay you for your time. Please let me know ASAP if you're able to come down by 10! Many thanks, Amar.

Going into his sixth year it was still a bit of a nuisance regaining the rhythm of teaching. Ethan, or rather, Mr. Henshaw was still trying to place names to faces, and judging by a few emails would be a bit more challenging until this mystery virus went away. Current head count says two are out in the first class of twenty. Ethan didn’t have time to dwell on the subject now that his attendance report was finalized, so he pushed back swine flu office gossip and got to work.

Advanced Biology was the first class of the day, Ethan was glad to start the day off with a class that wanted to learn. Made him wish he had tried a bit harder when he was their age a lifetime ago. Unfortunately the subject of cells was the subject starting today so it was back to that same old PowerPoint he has no idea as to make better. Not that it wouldn’t matter much as it was a subject that was less interesting to teach. He tried not to show it but once you have talked about mitochondria a hundred times to classes of students who generally could care less, well it gets harder to feign interest. The monotonous first few weeks almost made Ethan wish he could fast forward to the next semester of the human body, plants, ecosystems and of course, the legendary frogs. Every year a fresh batch of kids see just what makes a frog tick which gets far more interest than that physics egg drop, a fact Ethan gives to Mr. Barnes. In jest of course.

No matter how much of a slog those first few weeks are Ethan has the Friday night lights to keep his spirit high. Football was his first love before his first love came around and though he didn’t make the big leagues like his childhood dreams he is content. Last year was a disappointing three win year but there was optimism in the coaching room coming into the new season. Football had to wait however, it was time for the powerhouse of the cell.

Jaden Locks
Post Starting off the day the same as usually eating a nice healthy breakfast of two donuts being washed down after a two mile run was just enough to make sure Jay never just passed out from being tired, which still happens on occasion in school especially his math class. He didn't care about the Pythagorean theorem or how to do it learning it for what seemed like the hundredth time tends to put any sane person to sleep. Pushing the simple though of any sort of math out of his head the young man took a quick shower and putting on basketball shorts and drying his hair he went into the living room where his dad was listening to the news while muttering to himself about how it's a waste to spend tax money on the lot of they can't solve their own problems. Rolling his eyes Jaden sat down next to his old man putting the towel over his shoulders "What's the government doing wrong this time or did they just run out of monkeys to experiment on?" He asked while looking at the screen not retaining a single word it's saying "Well they probably did..but no it's about some stupid disease that they're "trying to solve." I can't believe this is were our tax money goes too." His dad muttered while getting up and attaching his police badge to his suit "I'll be a bit late coming home again the chief ain't giving no one any slack because of the recent break-ins. Having men stationed all of the town especially the street, still not any closer to solving it thankfully no one is getting hurt." He said while looking at his son "Alright don't worry before you say it I already know the number encase of emergency it isn't nine one one it is your number. Along with that I know where the taser is and the gun don't play with either and only use for extreme emergencies like a robbery or if someone is in danger." Jay stated in a matter of fact tone cutting off his father. He tend to do this mostly because his dad knew he was joking which was evident by the low bellow of a chuckle his dad gave out causing a grin to appear of the boy's face.
Saying good bye and hugging his son he left for work. After he was gone and out of site the boy just rolled his eyes and turned off the tv because it was mostly commercials anyways and went to his room looking at his district medals giving out a small sigh. He was close to going to state but since he neglected care of his ankle causing a major sprain which caused him to miss his chance for state by two games while he was recovering. After he completely healed he stretches longer and ices his ankles and knees the moment any major pain comes to it. Thinking about what it must be like going to state. That was his goal and he didn't have many chances left in his high school career this was his last year to make it to state. His dad fully supported him and went to all the meets he was able to, this was a major boost to Jay's confidence also though only to him seeing his dad for some reason just feels like he runs faster probably to impress his father? Jaden didn't know nor care he was just glad and enjoyed his dad's company regardless. Chuckling to himself he pulled out one of his school books and started on some late homework he refused to do, math homework obviously.

922c2d22620a4a477a45aa0d2e08c1af.jpg
Della was eternally grateful for that last cup of coffee she had had. Thanks to that steamy, caffeinated beverage, she had successfully assisted in the most beautiful thing she had ever witnessed. A successful heart transplant. Yes, it sounds a little nerdy and a little bit, well, strange, but being a doctor was truly amazing to her. Being the person who healed people, who could bring them back from the brink of death and stitch them back together when they started to fall apart. Speaking of stitching, though, after the surgery Della had been called to work the ER, which often involves suture duty, which wasn't exactly as "fulfilling" as a heart transplant, but needed to be done all the same. Currently, she was stitching up a large gash in a man's calf that he had gotten when he had tried to stop his 4-year-old son from playing with a kitchen knife. They had given him painkillers and he had ended up falling asleep, which Della was perfectly fine with, and just as she finished up with his leg a friend of her's strolled in.
"Ey, Dell, boss lady is saying your time is up. Time to head home girl." Skyler, one of the interns Della had been getting to know said. Della couldn't keep the grin from her face as she snipped the fiber she had used to seal up the man's wound.
"Thank gosh. Any longer and I would have had to drink a whole pot of coffee just to stay awake," she said with a sigh of relief, "you wanna monitor this guy for me Sky?" She said as she slipped off her gloves and tossed them into a nearby waste been. Her friend nodded and waved goodbye as Della headed towards the locker room to grab her day clothes and get out of her powder blue scrubs. As she pushed open the locker room door she slipped her phone out and off of silent mode just as it began to ring and a familiar face lit up the screen. She hit the red 'ignore' button and slipped the phone back into her pocket before opening her locker.

Last edited:
[class=mainframe] border:5px solid black; overflow:hidden; margin:0 auto; width:70%; text-align:center; border-radius:25px; background-color:white; color:black; [/class] [class=imgspace] [/class] [class=pic] display:inline-block; width:80%; border:4px dashed rgba(208, 204, 199, 0.60); [/class] [class=Ainfo] display:inline-block; background-color:white; color:black; width:100%; border:4px dashed rgba(208, 204, 199, 0.60); [/class] [class=sideinfo] border-left:5px dotted rgb(241, 171, 79); [/class]

[div class=mainframe]
[div class=imgspace][div class=pic]
portrait-cute-little-girl-with-long-hair-standing-park_23-2147893135.jpg
[/div][div class=Ainfo]Age: 8

Height: 4' 3"

Physical health: Normal

Mental health/Mood: Bored

Code by Idea <3[/div][/div]
Emerson Castro

A little girl sat in her room, playing with her dolls. The light was off, and the only source of light was a pure stream of bright sunlight coming in through the girl's window, making her ash blonde hair look like gold. A light breeze flitted in through the white curtains as the girl put on various voices to characterize her dolls.

"ALEXA, you are in BIG trouble."
"But mommy, whyyyyyyyy?"
"You didn't clean the toilets, and you didn't wash the dishes, and you didn't put any baking soda in my stinky, stinky shoes, and you're just overall BAD!!"

The doll was thrown across the room, the tiny plastic form hitting the wall, hard. Emerson laid on the floor, holding the other doll up above her head, mouthing something incoherent as she attempted to braid the other doll's hair. After a few idle minutes of that, the little girl broke into an improvised song about how bored she was, and rolled across the bedroom floor until she hit the dresser and could roll no further.

Sitting up and fixing her hair, Emerson crawled across the room and retrieved the doll she had thrown.

"Mommyyyyyyyy, when is daddy gonna be hoooooommmmeeee?"
"NOBODY KNOWS!!"
And then the doll was thrown again, this time out of the room. Emerson got up, muttering something under her breath, and went to pick up the doll. She had left the TV on in the living room, and gathering her dolls, she sat herself on the couch and made a blanket fort, peeking out at the TV.

"Oh NO, Alexa, a big fat disease!"
"Mommy it's okay, it's not coming here."
"NO YOU DUMMY DUMMY ALEXAAAA! It's gonna kill us all."
"Mommy, you're crazy."

And thus, 'Alexa' was thrown across the room again.

[div class=sideinfo]Location: Home

Tags: Saturnah Saturnah

Interacts:
[/div]
[/div]

[script class=Ainfo on=init]
hide Ainfo
[/script]
[script class=imgspace on=mouseenter]
hide pic
show Ainfo
[/script]
[script class=imgspace on=mouseleave]
show pic
hide Ainfo
[/script]

(Apologies if my posting style isn't the same, this is the first time I've ever actually used this website.)

398px-Pratt_Street_Hartford_1.jpg

Ish walked down the busy sidewalk, pushing and prodding his way through the mass of people. He didn't want to be late, he was never late and he didn't want to start now. Mr. Singh was nice, the only boss he ever had, but he could tell he was kinder than most. He didn't want to take advantage of that kindness, he wanted to repay it. His worn black sneakers carried him through the crowds, his bushy, curly, brown locks were hidden underneath his dark orange cap. In his right hand was a heavy, thick cloth bag. In it, were his tools, the ones he could afford and the ones Mr. Singh was nice enough to let him have. Without that bag, he was pretty much nothing. Isherwood wasn't a sociable guy, he had a few friends in high-school, but they all quickly flaked off after graduation. He had no girlfriend, never had actually, was always too nervous. No family, no anything, without that bag he wouldn't have a job, and he kept the tightest grip he could on it.
The noise of Downtown Hartford filled his head, cars honking here, people chatting there, a siren wailing in the distance, the fourth one this morning. He finally arrived at the door to the fire department, ten minutes early. He sighed out of relief, and entered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back