• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Pioneering Roommates

He was just finishing a sketch that he probably spent a bit too much time on when his boyfriend began to stir. The sketch he was working on was just of the person before him, laying in bed just how Josh was only shirtless and then blanket just barely covering his nether regions. One foot sticking out from under the covers and the other bent still under the covers. His chest exposed with his arms behind his head as a makeshift pillow, since the pillow in question was on the floor.

Matthew bit his lip and stopped sketching, placing his book down as he watched Josh stir and then fully wake up. I hope he likes it. He silently watched his boyfriend and before long he was wrapped up in Joshua's arms. The blonde couldn't help but chuckle softly. "I take it you like your presents." He didn't need an answer as he tilted his head up and wrapped his own arms around the other.

"Happy Birthday Joshua." He said before he leaned up and pressed his lips to his boyfriend's.

Josh absorbed the kiss and wrapped his arms around Matthew's waist, holding him close. Several eternal minutes passed before he broke the kiss. He exclaimed, "Sure. I've not gotten physical drawing tools in a while and was procrastinating on getting new materials since I use my digital pad mostly. I've been thinking about doing commissions. Duncan put the though inside my head some weeks ago and I thought about it again. I'm still on the fence, but leaning towards giving it a try. All the artwork I've given out has been as gifts or donations. Drawings for friends or for Visions, my high school's journal. " He sighs with uncertainty. He then cheerfully said, "Let's try that tee." He approaches his desk to collect the shirt, "Oh. Cooking shows!" He turns on his small TV set to that channel but sets the volume low so they can still hear it, but won't hamper any talking between them." He sets the remote down.

The young man was still mostly bereft of clothing with just briefs shielding him. He held the tee and flapped it in the air. Josh pulled it over his head and inserted his arms. He runs his hands all over his now covered torso and arms, "Fits just right. Not too loose and not too tight. Just right. What do you think?" He's just within arm's reach as he moves his body around so that his boyfriend can see him from all angles. "Now for the wolf test."

Josh's ears were lupine already and a minute later, so is the rest of him so he appears as a furry human with a wolf head. No tail since he doesn't have the appropriate bottoms. He looks up at Matthew after he examines his body. "Still fits really well. Not that I go outside looking like this, but I like to wear clothes that are comfortable for both my forms. Now I need to put on some shorts. He goes to his drawer and pulls up one of his gym shorts. Have you eaten breakfast? I don't think we should eat too much because that might interfere with dinner and we might not enjoy it. I normally take my showers in the morning, but I think I'll hold off until this afternoon."

Matthew smiled a bit into the kiss and held Josh just as close as he was being held. "I find that using physical seems more personal than digital. Sure I've used it, but if you make a mistake you can just undo what you did. But if you do it on a piece of paper, you can erase, depending on your medium, or you can use it in your drawing or keep it and start a new...." He said as he watched Josh with the shirt.

The next words he was going to speak left him and the words dried up. Damn... His eyes trailed over Josh's body going from shirtless to having the shirt on. God I want him. Embarrassed by his own thoughts, Matthew's face flushed and grabbed a pillow to hug in front of him hoping to distract his mind and body. "L-looks great." I want to touch him. The thought made him hug his pillow more, even more so as Josh changed his form a bit as well. He cleared his throat, "Um.. no I haven't. I was... waiting for you to wake up."

He waited a few minutes before moving the pillow and standing up, he pulled the pants of his jeans down so they wouldn't be bunched up at the top. "I'm ready whenever you are. Just need to put shoes on." He said as he moved to grab his shoes. "Did you want to eat in the cafeteria? Or we could go off campus and maybe fine someplace to eat in town?" He turned to look at Josh and smiled. "It'll even be my treat. Whatever you want."

Josh's gold-hued eyes zoom in on the pillow and he blushes in embarrassment that he was causing such a reaction in Matthew. Brett's voice again. Don't be so guilty bro. You've got a fantastic bod. He wasn't sure why he was thinking of his best buddy and former teammate so much this morning. Maybe that's because he's always been there with me to help celebrate my birthday ever since we were in Kindergarten. Alas, he attends LSU so he won't be there.

Although his embarrassment was masked by his furry wolf face, it was clear in Josh's voice and how he turned his body away. He had no pillow of convenience to hide behind. He strategically moved to his drawer to collect a pair of cargo shorts to wear. "Cafeteria. Feels like one of those days. I'm in the mood for a waffle and I've struggled to find a place in town that does good waffles. Pancakes yes, but not waffles." He takes Matthew's hands, "Ready?" He then goes to the door and, along the way, assumes his seemingly human form. He holds his boyfriend close to him, arm around waist, in case the "I'm with him" tee isn't clear enough.

The activity in the cafeteria is muted. It is a Saturday morning and most potential customers are still sleeping or chose to patronize other establishments. At the grill, he collects his waffle from the cook behind the counter. He then heads to the buffet tray and slides the lid back to collect two sausage links and sets back down. Onto his tray, he adds a banana and a plastic cup of chocolate milk. He then goes through the cashier.

In the dining area, not many are there. Caleb and Duncan are the only people that Josh readily recognizes. They lower their utensils and wave before resuming their meals. Since he has his hands occupied with the tray, he smiles and exclaims, "Heyo!" Josh waits patiently for Matthew so they can sit down together.

Last edited:
I really need to get over myself. He's not ready for any of that. He noticed Josh's face, even as a wolf's head. He could tell by his body posture and how there's little expression in his face. Matthew had been watching Josh, learning about him as both human and wolf.

Walking down the hall, Matthew liked the feeling of Josh's arm around him and even wrapped his own arm around his boyfriend. Matthew smiled and gave Josh a kiss before they continued their trek to the cafeteria. As promised, Matthew paid for Josh, he could afford that much, and got himself his own food. Pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, he knew Josh just recently talked about eating light so that there was no spoiling dinner or anything, but Matthew still planned on getting something simple from the restaurant and just hoped it was not too expensive.

Today was suppose to be about Josh and was he wanted. So Matthew would do just that. After paying for everything, both his and Josh's food, the blonde made he way to Josh. He looked over at the two guys that Josh greeted. "You want to sit with them? Or where we usually sit?"

Josh kept his mouth shut as Matthew paid for his breakfast. I know he means well, but he's already done so much for me already today.

The interactions between Matthew and Josh's friends had been primarily through Josh himself. There didn't seem to be a personality clash between his friends and Matthew though. Red-haired Duncan Flynn was overall shy and quiet, but could be very excitable if one mentioned anything fantasy based. Many Saturdays and a few Sundays they went to church together. They had both gone through a Catholic school education, Josh in Houston and Duncan in Limerick. If it was just them two at lunch, they often compared notes and had discourses about religion and philosophy. He was also trying to go vegan and sought Josh's advice. He was agreeable to help in anyway. As for Caleb Cosgrove, an African American, he was optimistic and very friendly. He had a passion for game shows and seemed to be an endless font of trivia. Sometimes though, he would just spout random tidbits about a variety of subjects at odd times. Once at the Sweet Vibes ice cream parlor, he talked about ice cream flavors and which ones were deemed popular.

They waved at Josh and Matthew again and that sealed the deal. Josh sits across from Caleb leaving the empty chair across from Duncan for Matthew so that the arrow still points to his boyfriend. Duncan says with a chipper voice, "Morning. How are ya this morning?" Josh replied, "Pretty good." Caleb then asked, "I've never see you wear that shirt. Is that new?"Josh places his hand on Matthew's own and gives him a content smile, "A birthday gift from my cuddlebud."

Josh's friends look at each other, "Today's your birthday?" He replies, "Not yet. It's this coming Tuesday, but we wanted to celebrate early. My parents are coming to town to take us out to eat at Vincenzo's later today." The response, "Cool. Cool." Duncan adds, "You will take plenty of pictures will you?" He then adds, "Too bad you will miss tonight's movie." Now Caleb, "Killer Klowns from Outer Space. One fine horror comedy classic. I've not seen it in ages. My favorite type of monster flicks though are those featuring the Creature from the Black Lagoon since I swim for the Makos. So what kind of horror movies do you two like?"

Sitting down with Josh's friends, he greeted them politely before he began to eat, adding a small amount of salt to his hash browns. He blushed as he took a bite of his pancake when Josh placed his hand over his own on the table. Looking at Josh, Matthew swallowed his bite and licked his lips of the left of syrup and smiled. He stayed relatively silent through the conversation until they were asked a question.

"Hm... I like most shark movies and Lake Placid." He said as he took a bite of bacon. Suddenly his phone started to ring. Pulling his phone out he saw that it was his sister calling. "Sorry." He said before he answered the phone. "Hey."

"Hi~"

Matthew lost his smile, "What?"

"Nothing~"

"Anna." Matthew's voice was firm as he sat up more straight and placed his fork down. "What's going on?"

"Nothing at all. Just calling to say hi. So.. Hi."

Matthew sighed and glanced at everyone at the table before he leaned over and kissed Josh's cheek. "Be right back." He said before getting up and walking to a few feet away from the table. "Alright. Spill." He said into the phone. There was silence over the phone and then he noticed the sound of wind on the other line. "Are you driving?"

"Yeah... that's why I was calling you. Dad and I got into a fight and so I left the house."

Matthew groaned and covered his face with his free hand. "So what do you want me to do about it? I'm here in Sutter, I can go and--"

"I know! I just wanted to talk, Matt! Can't I talk to my brother about these things?! God!"

Matthew sighed and rubbed his face. "Of course you can talk to me. Derrick is there too."

"Ugh! I don't like talking to him. He's just like dad. It's stupid!"

"Ok. So then pull over and talk. What happened?" Matthew stayed silent as his sister vented to him. He turned a bit to look back at his boyfriend and his friend before concentrating on what his sister was saying.

Josh and his buddies quieted down out of repeat once Matthew took his call. Then concern enveloped their faces as they sensed something was wrong. His cheek was kissed by Matthew who stepped away. They looked on in uneasy silence.

Josh briefly heard the beginning of the conversation but tuned him out once Matthew left the table because he didn't want to pry into a deeply personal conversation. He whispered to his boyfriend, "Should you need me, I'm here."

To occupy their thoughts, they tentatively resumed their chat about scary movies and Josh was asked what he liked. With an occupied mind, "Werewolves." Even as he said it, he knew he had given the wrong answer as far as he was concerned. He had meant to say alien horror movies like The Thing.

Josh had always felt uncomfortable whenever he watched werewolf films since he felt it was inappropriate to watch them. He remembered when he was seven , his bachelor-at-the-time Uncle Kunio showed him the 1941 version of The Wolf Man when he watched his nephew over the weekend. The film was thought tame enough, and Josh was okay through most of the movie but the little boy was bawling his eyes out at the end when Sir John Talbot realizes that had attacked his own son. He was even leery of seeing the few that featured heroic wolves.

Caleb capitalized on the response to ask, "So which 1981 flick you prefer? The Howling or An American Werewolf in London?" Since he had only seen bits and pieces of The Howling, "London I suppose. I would like to see more werewolf films where the wolf is a good guy and he retains his mind even after shifting." The other two guys nod in agreement and Duncan inputs, "Maybe something like a superhero movie. That would be refreshing to see over the same blood and guts that almost all have."

Josh nodded and the three looked back at Matthew with apprehension as the mood became pensive again.

"So..." Matthew looked confused. "Wait.. what?" He gave a sound of disbelief. "You stormed out of the house because Dad wouldn't let you... what?"

"Ugh! Were you not listening!! Dad is trying to lock me up inside the house and never let me leave because.. 'I'm too young to be dating.' I really like this guy Matt. I don't want to be left out! It's not like I'm going to end up in the hospital like you---"

Matthew visibly flinched as he automatically brought his free hand up to his chest and rubbed at his scar. "Yeah... sure..."

"Mattie.. I didn't mean.. I'm sorry---"

"I'll call dad later and talk to him. Love you--"

"Matt--"

"Bye." Matthew hung up phone and let out a breath. He quickly composed himself and stuffed his phone in his pocket before going back to his boyfriend and friends. He put on a fake smile, trying not to let his sister's words get to him and let the others see. "Sisters are a pain." He said as he sat down. Looking at his plate, he suddenly wasn't hungry but he knew he had to eat something, so he picked up a piece of bacon and ate it.

Josh and his friends just looked on as Matthew spoke into the phone. Caleb and Duncan didn't know why Matthew was rubbing his chest like that because they did not know of the assault on his life. It's not my right to tell them why. He considered what had happened personal.

If Josh's friends saw though the false smile, they gave no indication. Josh felt that something wrong happened. Not deathly serious, but still bad news. "Sisters are a pain." It was something that the other three knew nothing about.

Takeo and Mariko Nakayama might have thought about having other children, but those plans were tossed out the window as soon as they came to terms over Josh's other self. They did not feel confident that they would be able to raise another werewolf while raising the first one. The younger Josh was a handful. The parents were fearful that he would shift in public, but it was a concern that was unfounded. They did not know this until much later. Their son explain, "I have to will it. I have to want to present my inner wolf." To rational adults, it made sense. How else can you explain werewolves being relegated to fiction? If babies had no control, the secret would have been unveiled long ago. If that was the case though, why did he shift on that stormy night? Maybe he was just old enough, just aware enough, to understand that could make the change in the safety of home. Safe with his parents alone. Maybe the wolf is shy if there are all these unfamiliar humans around?

Caleb Cosgrove informed, "I just have my older brother Horatio". Caleb's brother, older by seven years, was named after Horatio Hornblower and Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson. His brother played water polo when in college and was currently with the US Coast Guard. Caleb on the other hand, wanted to follow in his father Alan's footsteps.

Duncan said, "I'm an only like Josh here, but I have four siblings according to my parents. They are all Pomeranians." These "siblings" of Duncan's had their own bedroom with personalized beds and accessories. Sometimes he felt he played second fiddle to these pooches. There were Pomeranians before these current four and there would be more for years to come.

The rest of the meal was quiet and all looked at empty plates and trays for a while until Duncan said, "We should probably call it." He and Caleb got up. Caleb spoke with Matthew, "It was nice to have breakfast with you. Whatever happened, we wish you well." Duncan said, "Same here. Just take it one day at a time." They gave smiles of encouragement before they walked away to put their trays away and attend to their own plans.

Just two of them now, Josh tenderly looked at Matthew. "Do you want to go back to the room or stay here some more?"

Through out the whole meal, Matthew would rub at his chest every so often until he forced himself to stop. She didn't mean it. But she wouldn't have said it if she didn't mean it. Does she really think I was stupid? She doesn't know what I went through. They just know of that.... incident. After breakfast was done, Matthew could get the feeling of a somber mood after he returned to the table. He didn't eat much, just the bacon and a few bites of the hash browns. He looked up at Duncan and Caleb as they got up. Matthew gave a small smile and waved it off. "I wouldn't worry about it. It's really nothing. Just... high school girl drama." He said only to sigh and slump down a bit once they were gone.

Looking to Josh, Matthew pouted his lips a bit at the look he was getting. "I'm not made of glass you know. But... I.." He reached over and gently took Josh's chin and pulled him into a sweet kiss. "Want to do whatever you want to do." He said as he pulled away a bit and smiled. "It's your day. Even though your actual birthday is Tuesday. But we have classes that day." He said as he wrapped his arms around Josh's middle in a side hug.

He truly wanted this day to be a good day for Josh, but also he didn't want it concentrated on him and his own drama with his sister. If it could even be classified as drama.

Duncan and Caleb wondered why Matthew kept rubbing chest, but they kept their questions to themselves. One said, "Okay then." Then the other guy said, "You two enjoy yourselves tonight. Take plenty of pictures. Maybe tomorrow you can show us while you tell us how it went." Josh said, "Sure thing. Catch you two later."

Josh shrugged his shoulders, "I know. It's just that I..." He never got the chance to think of what to say when his lips met with Matthew's. Whatever he was thinking at that moment got tossed out of the head. "Let's head back to the room. If we are here much longer, we're going to have start thinking about lunch." He stood up and rotated his arms, feeling his arms. "We can still have fun on Tuesday. Lessons aren't all day. Maybe at night, head to Leitner Bakes and get a single slice of cake to share. Those things are big enough to share. Maybe have cappuccino or hot tea also? Then we can come back to the room."

Along the way back to the dorms, Josh's phone rings. It is playing Neil Diamond's America. As soon as he picks it up, he switches to Japanese. His father is on the other end, "We've just left the house and headed to Sutter now. So we'll be seeing you in about six hours. What are you doing?" Josh looks at Matthew, "Here with Matthew. We just left the cafeteria where we had breakfast and are headed back to the dorm to chill before we get ready." His mother interjects in English, "I hope you didn't pig out too much." He rolls his eyes, "Wolf Mom. I'm a wolf." She snorts, "Figure of speech Ryota. You two boys enjoy the rest of the day and we'll see you soon." Josh replied, "Bye Dad. Bye Mom."

They enter the room and Josh peels off his socks and shoes. He gets the gifted art supplies, "Let's take these out for a spin. What should I draw? I know. Why don't I draw you for a change?"

Matthew smiled, I can think of other things than lunch. "Sounds like a date." He said as he got up with Josh and walked with him back to the dorms. He stayed silent when Josh's phone rang, looking back at Josh when he was looked at. Matthew had no clue what was being said as he looked ahead and steered Josh around the other students while he talked on the phone.

Once they were back at their dorm, Matthew separated from Josh and stretched his arms over his head before he kicked his shoes and socks off and laid down on his bed. This action caused his shirt to ride up a bit and reveal part of his stomach. "Hm?" Matthew looked over at Josh. "Me?" Why would Josh want to draw me? He wasn't sure why Josh had suddenly expressed drawing him. Sitting up, Matthew leaned back on his hands. "Ok birthday boy." Matthew smiled a bit, I did say whatever he wanted. "How do you want me?"

Josh was thankful that Matthew helped him along the way back to the dorm because he didn't want to look foolish or stumble. He took really good care of his cell which has a protective lens on it, but he didn't want to risk it falling out of his hands. Some passersby gave him odd looks as he toggled between English and Japanese and back again. So sue me. They should meet my cousin Eiji. The boy was three and a half and knew three languages well enough for his age: English, Japanese, and Spanish. When the scamp met Brett for the first time after one of Josh's games, the boy asked his best buddy what languages did he know. The quarterback said, "Just English but I'm taking French." Brett's mother, Brigette Lafayette McPherson, had insisted her son learn French. She hardly knew the words of her grandparents since her parents insisted on English in the household. She did not want her son to follow in these footsteps.

Josh sat on his bed with his back against the wall and legs hanging off the side of the bed. He saw the bit of exposed stomach skin which caused him to smile in a trance. Josh smiled, "Yes you." He saw Matthew sit up and ask "How do you want me?" He replied, "I already have a pose in mind and theme. It's a surprise so no peeking."

He looked at the time and felt that he had enough time to sketch and color what he had in mind before stopping to take a shower. He picked up the gifted sketchpad and labeled it "Celebration" It is written in both English and in Japanese. Josh got to work and would look up at Matthew from time to time, positioning the pad to limit its view. While it was going to be about Matthew, the subject would not be known until he showed his boyfriend the finished product. As the hours passed, the image began to take form.

Josh wanted to draw something realistic and heartfelt. Nothing absurd or what his father had called expressive, his tantalizing artwork. The background consists of the closeup of a wooden fence, a rural locale. Time depicted is analogous to the time that it currently is in real time. Here is a male torso, the image doesn't go further down. It is of Matthew cradling something. The depicted Matthew is looking down lovingly at what he is holding. With the outlines done, he starts coloring it in. Half done, somewhat completed, almost completed. Finished.

Josh gets off of bed and walks over to Matthew, "Close your eyes." The pad is closed anyhow as he sits down next to his boyfriend, He turns to the page displaying his newest drawing. "You may open them." It is of Matthew at his home holding a lamb with head turned slightly forward.

Matthew smiled and chuckled, he stayed where he was just in case Josh needed him to actually pose or turn a certain way. But the smile remained. However, after about an hour, Matthew laid down on his bed but still faced Josh. He stayed silent through the whole process until Josh was finished. Sitting back up, Matthew moved over to give Josh enough space to sit. Following Josh's instructions, Matthew closed his eyes and waited until he was allowed to open them. I wonder what he drew..

You may open them

Opening his blue eyes, Matthew looked down at the piece of art. He had a pensive look as he gently took the sketch book. His eyes scanned the drawing from top to bottom, a small smile graced his face at the lamb he was holding in the picture. He then placed the sketch book down beside him and turned to his boyfriend and pulled him into a kiss. "I love it." He said giving Josh another kiss, though this time a bit deeper. "No one has ever drawn me before." Matthew smiled before looking back at the drawing. "You're really talented."

One kiss, "I'm glad you love it. It means a lot to me. You can keep it after I gingerly take it out of the pad." Then a deeper and more sensual kiss that sent joyous energy throughout his body. Josh replied, "Me neither. All drawings of me are self-done. I take a bunch of selfies which I've shown you some from the ordinary ones to the more delightful ones. I study my bod and have replicated it to the best of my ability and you are right. I am really talented." He held onto Matthew and pulled him onto the mattress so they are laying down side by side.

Josh lays on his side and drapes his left arm across Matthew, "My craft began as a way to keep me occupied during the times I was alone. I started by mimicking comic strips and illustrations from my children books. Just like these guys" Josh flexed his arms causing his 15 inch biceps to swell, "it took years and regularly working out. I didn't openly show my stuff until high school and even then under certain situations like Visions or submissions for the tee for our annual bazaar. My submission was chosen for the bazaar during my Junior year. My tee is vacuumed sealed back at home. There are over 500 more floating around out there. Every student and every staff member got one for free. That's not including those that were sold at the bazaar itself."

Josh looked at his watch, "About two hours before showtime. We should start to get ready." After a quick peck on the lips, Josh climbed over his boyfriend and got a pair of trunk briefs and headed to the bathroom to shower. With warm water cascading, he steps inside and starts to bathe.

"Well... you're not alone now." He said laying down with Josh, he even scooted closer to his boyfriend. Though when said boyfriend flexed his muscles, all thought left Matthew's mind as he stared at them. How the hell did I get lucky snagging this guy? I have a football player for a boyfriend! "Bazaar... that's... wait." He regained focus as he snapped his eyes back to Josh's face. "You've had art sold?"

He kissed his boyfriend back when Josh moved and climbed over him declaring it was time to start getting ready. Getting up himself, Matthew walked over to his small closet and looked through his shirts. He was trying to find a nice one, luckily he had a plain colored long sleeve button up, courtesy of his mom. Matthew had actually forgotten about the shirt since he hasn't had an occasion for it. Well, now is the perfect time. He pulled the light blue shirt out and placed it on his bed before going to look for some pants. Unfortunately, all he had were jeans so he pulled out the nicest ones he had which were a dark blue almost black color. The only thing with this particular pants, they were form fitting, so he wasn't able to wear any underwear with them. Using the time Josh was in the shower, Matthew got undressed and pulled his clothes on, he had to hop once to get his pants on before he could adjust himself and tuck his shirt in. He then grabbed his belt and slipped it through the loops before sitting down and pulling his socks on. "Now for the boots." He said to himself getting up and walking to his closet to grab them before slipping them on.

Josh replied, "I guess you could say that I've had art sold. I just never thought of it in that way because the only money that came my way was $200 for my design being selected. The money that the shirts earned got funneled back to the school for the next year's bazaar. Since I won, I decided not to submit for my Senior year's bazaar."

Once in the shower, Josh made sure to give his body a good scrubbing. Rarely did he shower so late in the day and if he did, it was because he worked up a sweat in the gym. He lathered every inch of his body and rinsed. Shampoo and rinse. Conditioner and rinse. Off the water goes and he steps out to dry off. He looks at the hook on the back of the bathroom door and he groans. In his euphoria, he forgot to bring clothes in to change into. Oh well. He looked at his reflection in the mirror and runs his fingers though his hair. It had grown out some but it was still not long enough to style into anything significant. He had not told his parents what he had done with this hair because he wanted to surprise them.

Josh opened the door and turned the light off. He steps out knowing well that Matthew would get a full view of his body which is only covered by the forest green briefs which accentuated his form. It was totally Brett's idea when they went shopping together last year, just the two of them. He thought a young man of his age with a body like that ought to be entitled to wear something a little bit more alluring. Hence a quarter of his underwear collection consisting of trunk briefs and hip briefs.

Opening his closet door, Josh looks inside and meticulously selects his apparel. Black slacks are a good choice. That is draped over his left arm. He thumbs through his short sleeve button shirts and takes out a mint-green short sleeve shirt with a pocket on the left. That joins the pants on his arm. He goes to his bed to drop off those two items and he gets out a pair of dress socks. Another return to the bed. He picks up his cologne and spritzes himself before he rolls on the anti-perspirant deodorant.

Josh sits down on his bed to put his socks on and looks up, "I see you got dressed already. Now it's my turn." He slips his arms through the sleeve and starts buttoning up the shirt. Pants come up and he sits back down to put his shoes on. He moves his body around and asks, "How do I look?" He takes out his phone and selects the camera, "Selfie time." He places his arm around his boyfriend's shoulder and places his face next to Matthew's so they could both look at the camera, "Smile." With a snap, the picture is taken and he sends a copy of the photo to him. The phone goes back in the pocket but he takes it out just a couple seconds later. He looks up after reading the message to tell Matthew, "They'll be here in about twenty to thirty minutes. We should get going downstairs. I'd rather wait down in the front than here and keep them waiting. They're really keen on timeliness. Thanks to their efforts, I was just one of two to get the four year perfect attendance award."

In front of Selby Hall, there are grey thermoplastic benches on either side. As Josh sits, his eyes dart back and forth to keep a look out for his parents. A black Honda CR-V, his dad's, appears and slows in front of them. His parents look at them and their jaws drop. His mother exclaims, "Joshua Ryota Nakayama! What did you do to your hair? When did you do this? Why didn’t you tell us earlier?” her hand grips the top of his his head to feel his shortened hair while she questions him. As he tries to pry himself loose, "I cut it off for charity a month ago. I wanted it to be a surprise that’s all.” She smiles thinly, "Well you certainly surprised us." A more improved smile, "Nice to see you again Matthew."

Josh opens the side door and ushers Matthew inside. His dad looks up and asks, "Are you two guys ready to begin tonight's festivities?" Josh reaches for Matthew's hand and intertwines his fingers with Matthew's. He looks up, "Ready." The SUV drives off into an evening of celebration.

Last edited:
By the time it was almost time to leave the dorm, Matthew had momentarily lost track of time. He couldn't help himself as he openly watched Josh get dressed. He barely even registered what his boyfriend was saying, until he snapped back and focused when Josh came to him. "You look great." No, he looks sexy as hell! Matthew couldn't help but smile when Josh wanted to take a picture.

Once they were outside and met with Josh's parents, Matthew couldn't help but slip back into his country roots. He watched as mother and son greeted each other and politely waited his turn to speak when he was spoken too. "It's nice to see you too, ma'am." If he had his cowboy hat he'd tip it. Inside the car, Matthew slid in to the seat as he was followed in by Josh. Matthew buckled up and smiled to Josh's dad, however before he could reply he was looking down at his hand that was being taken by Josh. He followed the other hand up the arm and soon his eyes came to Josh's face. Smiling softly, Matthew leaned over and gave josh's lips a quick peck before going back to his original position. "Yeah, I'm ready." he said as the SUV drives off.

One peck deserves another. Josh leans over and plants his lips onto Matthew's. His parents twitched their eyes because they had never seen their son kiss anyone, certainly not on the lips and definitely not another guy.

As the SUV ambled around town, Takeo Nakayama speaks. His accent had softened over the past 30 years he had been living in the States but is still clearly of Japan, "How was your day today boys?" Josh declared, "My boyfriend surprised me with a gift of a fun tee shirt and art supplies. We had breakfast in the cafeteria with my friends Caleb and Duncan." Mariko asks, "Caleb? He's that young man who swims for the Makos, right?" Josh replied, "Yea and he's top notch. I wish the Ravens had a guy like that during my Senior year." He looks at Matthew, "We finished last place unlike my sport. Anyhow, we didn't do too much afterwards. We just relaxed in our room as I made a drawing of him holding a lamb." His father says, "Speaking of drawings, there's a box in the back with the rest of your drawings." Josh blushed knowing what drawings those would be.

The ride seemed to be taking forever. Josh knew that Vincenzo's wasn't that far away from the dormitory. His mother asks, "So you want to go to Vincenzo’s?” Josh said, “Yup. I checked the menu. I checked out the crab cake plate and it exactly what I want.” An unusual sounding reply, “Are you sure?” He replied, “Yea?” He looks at Matt in confusion. Something funny’s going on here.

After a great span of minutes, they finally reach the restaurant. It started life as a converted two story house built in the early 50s. Since then, there had been addons over the years. After handing over the vehicle to the valet staff, the four walk along the small walk way. Josh scurries ahead to open the door first for his mother and then for Matthew. He steps inside and holds it open for his father. They walk up to the podium and the maitre d' looks up to ask, “Name?” Takeo Nakayama announces them, and a host is summoned to escort them. "Follow me."

The party goes past the main dining area which was the front yard it the place's former life. Plenty of tables here. Why not there? They go up a couple steps and walk past a smaller room which used to be the living room. Plenty of tables there. Why not here? To the right was the staircase which led to the former bedrooms, now private dining rooms. The host urges them to head up. That was when cherished and noteworthy scents enter Josh's nose. His parents see their son sniff the air. Well, the surprise was nice while it lasted.

Familiar scents and familiar voices. Uncle Kunio and his family. His grand parents too. Also...no. It couldn't be him. To steady himself, Josh reaches out for Matthew's hand and intertwines his fingers with his boyfriend's. His lips part and the volume of his voice is just enough that only Matthew would hear, "Archmage?"

Josh's ears and nose told him the truth, but his brain told him that his senses were playing tricks on him. No one is waiting for us. Just wishful homesick thinking. The four enter one of the private rooms at the top of the stairs, the one that used to be the master bedroom. Quoth the nose and ears, “Told you so.” In that private dining room, there is a rectangular table with the length facing them. There are six individuals already seated. Facing the four entrants was Uncle Kunio and his wife Carmen with their little boy Eiji between them. The sole chair at the width on the right side of the table is Grandpa Kentaro and to his right is Grandma Emiko. There are three empty chairs to her right for Josh's parents and Matthew with the chair of honor at the other width. They all look up and exclaim, "Happy Birthday Ryota!"

Sorry Matthew. I had no idea. I had no earthly idea. Before Josh could recover and introduce everyone, the young man sitting to Uncle Kunio's right rises from the table and excitedly dashes at him, "Jaws!" Any more excitable movement and he would have plowed right through the wall like the Kool-Aid Man. This man is so similar to Josh in appearance, one would think they were twins until you looked at his non-Asian face. Six foot tall in contrast to Josh's 5'10" with bluish green eyes instead of dark brown and curtained blond hair as opposed to short black hair. Other than that, their musculature was the same. Gorgeous masculinity. The young men clasp wrists as if warriors of old on the battlefield and then he hugs Josh, “Joyeux Anniversaire bro.” He then looks at Matthew and energetically grips his hand, “and this must be the rad Matt. How's it hanging? Nice to meet you at last.” Josh's heart slowed back to normal. "Matthew. This is Brett McPherson." His best buddy is dressed in black slacks with a long sleeve shirt, tie, and cobalt blue vest. Nice clothes, pricey clothes. Matthew's mind might be hearing the sound of a cash register repeatedly opening.

Brett then moved onto Josh's parents and his greeting for them is more formal befitting their status as parents. Josh stands by the doorway completely flabbergasted and says to everyone, "Wow. I don't know what to say." He had no idea that his parents had decided to throw him a surprise birthday party. I should have known something was off when Mom asked me if I was really sure I wanted to eat here. “Everyone. I want you to meet my boyfriend Matthew Wolf.” He wasn’t sure how Matthew was feeling right now. Probably overwhelmed. I am sorry. Josh reaches out and holds his hand. Josh’s relatives greet him warmly as he is introduced to them.

Josh's parents sit down while Brett gleefully escorts Matthew to where he will be sitting which is across the table from himself so that the man of the evening will be between them. Before Josh sits down, he goes around the table to personally greet his relatives with hugs. Before he hugs his grandpa and uncle though, he salutes them in recognition of their service.

When Josh's parents started questioning his decision to go to the restaurant Matthew frowned. What is goin on? He got his answer as he followed everyone into the restaurant and was lead to a private room only to be bombarded by Josh's family. Suddenly, Matthew tensed up, not expecting this. It was bad enough that he was around Josh's parents and felt he had to make a good impression even though he's talked and skyped them with his boyfriend but never really met them in person. Now he had to meet Joshua's whole family!

Then someone got up and moved towards them and Matthew couldn't help but look the other male up and down. Matthew blushed, but only out of embarrassment than anything else, Josh is still better looking, I think. Wait he's talking to me. Matthew couldn't help but smile and let out a small laugh, "It's nice to meet you too. Josh had told me a lot about you." He said though he couldn't help but think that this guy was really weird. Rad Matt? First time for everything I guess. I can see why he and Josh get a long so well.

Next thing Matthew knew was Josh grabbing his hand. The blonde looked down at their clasped hands before looking up at Josh, he could feel his face becoming a permanent red color as his boy introduced him to the family. "It.. it's nice to meet everyone." he said as he moved around with Josh, saying hello to everyone he introduced individually. Soon he was being separated from Josh by Brett and shown to where he would be sitting.

He talked when talked to and was polite, but other than that Matthew kept quiet. He was use to big family gatherings but only when it was his own family. It was different when it was your boyfriend's, you have to keep a good impression and hoped that they liked you. This is what Matthew hoped, that Josh's family liked him.

Brett wanted to be liked. Making friends was easy for the outgoing young man, but separating true friends from the false was hard. Josh was one of those true friends. They had been neighbors before their time but what really cemented their friendship was an incident when they were in Kindergarten.

Bullied kids are targeted for many reasons. Maybe they talk differently? Maybe they wear glasses? Maybe there is no reason except out of callousness? Brett was targeted because he was the rich kid. He seemingly came from a middle class family from a middle class neighborhood. Eventually you find out that he is of the same McPherson family as the one that owns McPherson Enterprises, one of the largest private tech firms in Texas. Correction, as some in the industry would say, the largest with a current revenue of nearly 20 billion. It began with Alan McPherson who ran a textiles operation 120 years ago. As they years passed and there became a greater need for computers, they focused more and more on technology. They still manufactured sewing machines, but on a much smaller scale. These days, they were known for semiconductors and integrated circuits, calculators and laptops.

A second grader had cornered the boy that Brett used to be with the intent of taking away his lunch money. A McPherson was bound to have good money. Jackpot. Not in this case. The child cried that he had no money. His parents preferred to send him to school with sack lunches so that they could have better oversight of what he ate in school. The older boy did not believe the plea. Another young voice behind the bully, "You like picking on kids smaller than you? Try pushing me around then." Another kindergartener stand in front of Brett, shielding him. The larger boy no longer cared about the money and chose to take out his frustration on the interloper. The boy that Josh used to be was roughed up, but didn't seem too hurt. A teacher intervened and the older boy was kicked out of school. Josh was no longer Josh to Brett. He had become Ryota.

The present day Brett told Matthew, "I'm glad that you are Ryo's roommate and boyfriend. You two must have loads of fun. I hardly have anything in common with mine and the only thing we do have in common, I didn't find out about until two weeks into semester. He felt intimidated by this. Thought I was going to swirlie him or something." Josh returns, "Seriously?" Brett said looking at Matthew mostly since Josh was familiar with his ways, "Yea, but acting like a jerk messes up my zen thing. It's one of the reasons why they call me the Archmage. I'm big on mysticism." He talks briefly of his tarot cards and his interest in Egyptian mythology. Around his neck, one can make out a necklace. Obscured by his shirt is a pendant, the Eye of Horus.

Josh asked, "So what's the only thing you have in common?" Brett replies, "Theater. Malcolm's into theater. They were starting to hold auditions in a few weeks for The Tempest and he was on pins and needles that he wouldn't get the role he wanted. He wanted to be Prospero badly but he didn't think he had what it took for such a prominent role. I told him that I'd help and he scoffed at the notice. I was just some jock. I am one, but it's never that simple." He lets out a puff of embarrassed air, "You should have seen the look on his eyes. He thought I was going to strike back so I did." He pauses for dramatic effect, "I took out my copy of The Tempest and started to go over the lines. He was as stunned as you were when you walked in just now. I told Mal that if he wanted the role that badly, we should start rehearsing now. We practiced and practiced between our studies and my workouts, training, and games. He got the role and only afterwards did he ask me because he didn't think I seemed to be the sort to be into theater. You live with my mom, theater is a natural part of your world. I don't do theater myself though." Another look of joviality at Matthew, "I prefer the stage of the gridiron, but I do have my moments. Sometime, you should ask Ryo to show you the talent show during out senior year. My segment, the one I shared with my girlfriend Jocelyn, will knock your socks off. Certainly knocked Mal's off." He grins as waiters come to take drink orders. Brett orders sparkling water and Josh asks for unsweetened tea. The waiters will be back to take down food orders in a while.

After they have left, Brett asks Matthew about farming. "I've never been on a farm but I'll be living with my Great Aunt Gabrielle in France to learn about vitnering while working on my French. I know its not the same as ranching, but I would appreciate any pointers you can offer."

Getting use to the big crowd took a bit longer than Matthew liked, maybe it was because of the fact that he didn't really know anyone but Josh and his parent at the party. Also, Matthew stayed away from any and all parties since his last experience that he will never mention again. It had taken him a while to get back from that, had had became quiet and almost reclusive, it was only Joshua who had kept him from hiding inside himself. That and Josh was the only one he would really let near him. Matthew had came a long way since then and was pretty much back to normal now and had been for a while.

He looked at Brett when the other began talking to him again and smiled a bit. "Me and Josh? Why?" He asked wondering why the other was glad they were roommates and boyfriends. Of course Bret went into an explanation why with his own roommate. Matthew grinned slightly, certainly amused. "Can't judge a book by it's cover." He said before looking up at the waiter and just asking for a water.

Looking back at Brett, "Farming? Uh..." Matthew rubbed his neck as he tried to think. "I don't.." He let out a short laugh. "I honestly couldn't really tell you. I'm not sure what you're looking for. I know there's certain season things get planted, but that's about it. I mean we grow hay that usually harvested in late May or early June. But there isn't' anything special we go, just... let the field grow. I mainly helped with moving the cattle and taking care of the horses." Matthew looked at Brett and pursed his lips. "Mmm... I could give you a typical run down on a normal day."

Matthew then began to tick off his fingers, "Up before the sun, Put the horses out the pasture so that the stalls and be mucked out and laid with fresh hay. Refresh the water, give the horses their breakfast. Then go back out to the pasture and call them back. They usually go into their stall with little complaint." Matthew then laughed a bit, "Expect one, Buck. He always wants you to chase him before he finally complies. I remember this one time my older brother had to chase Buck and he got so frustrated that Buck wouldn't come in. He threw his hat down and gave up, only to get mad even more when I came out and called for Buck and the horse went right in! I was maybe... 10 years at the time. Buck was...5 years already at the time, pretty young still. Horses can live an average of 25 to 30 years." Matthew blushed when he realized he was rambling about some memory when Brett wanted to know about farming. "Sorry. Um... what else? Oh! Then once that's done, I usually go into the stalls and brush the horses out while they're eating....

"Ma and my sister usually tend to the chickens and collect their eggs. It's a lot of manual labor and husbandry really. You will sweat.. a lot. and you'll be very sore if you're not use to it. But you'll get the hang of it when you do it on a regular basis."

While the guests could have been arranged in any order, Josh's parents had deliberately chosen the layout by grouping the three young men together at the end. They felt that by placing Matthew with others of his own age, he might be more comfortable.

The gathering had been in the works for weeks. At first, they did consider the party to just be them and their son and their son's boyfriend. However, the other relatives missed seeing Josh so their plans for a four person party grew to ten. Kunio Ishida and his family picked up the grandparents and drove the six hours ahead of Josh's parents so they could stop by Leitner Bakes. There, they met a young man named Lance who appeared to know him, "One quarter sheet, marble cake with vanilla buttercream frosting. I supervised the construction myself from beginning to end." The box is presented and it was exactly what had been ordered. The phrase "Happy Birthday Ryota!" was done in blue frosting. The image of a football, with the number 29, Josh's number, was in the corner. The box rested behind Josh waiting for its big moment.

As for Brett, his day had been different. He woke up in his room on the dormitory at the LSU campus in Baton Rouge. He waited for a local chauffeur to pick him up to take him to private airport so he could take a charter plane commissioned by his family's company. The swanky vehicle pulled up and Brett tried to be as unassuming as possible as he stepped inside with a suitcase. The flight was uneventful but interesting since he was the only passenger and was referred to as Mr. McPherson. It was the first time he has been called that since he had rarely been aboard the company charter plane and even then, was always accompanied by his father or some other older male relative. After a brief flight, another chauffeur met him once the plane landed and drove him to a local hotel. It was the same one that the others were staying at. Everyone would be leaving in the morning to head back.

Brett wanted to make a connection with Matthew even though he knew that they came from different worlds. As Matthew spoke, he was genuinely captivated and his attention was fully focused what Matthew had to say. Horses were okay to be around and he liked giving them baths, but he didn't much care for riding them because he preferred a mode of transportation that didn't have a mind of its own. The last time he was around any horses was when his parents enrolled him, at his grandparents' urging, in some posh equestrian center. He didn't care for it too much and only attended weekly lessons for about six weeks before his parents gave in and said that the didn't have to go anymore. They then enrolled him in a fencing club which he preferred more and had attended until he had graduated. Like Josh who tried to balance his Japanese heritage with an American life, Brett tried to balance his privileged background with the mostly middle-class life that his parents tried to live. Thank God my parents listened to me and let me stay in Houston rather than ship me off to Schuyler Prep for high school. As such, he was the first McPherson man to not attend the prestigious school.

Brett said, "I don't mind waking up early or getting grimy. Just give me a nice bath and meal and I'm all set. Speaking of all set, have you decided what you're going to have Ryo? Or are you an hour away from deciding? Eh?" His eyebrows waggle in jest as he browses the menu. Josh replies, "I have actually. I'm getting the crab cake. You?" His best buddy said, "I'm thinking the roast duck with the side of Brussels sprouts and truffle risotto. How about you Matthew? What looks good to you?"

Josh's best buddy goes on to ask Josh and Matthew, "Didn't you guys say that your dormitory shows a movie every Saturday night? So, what did you miss today?" Josh was in a difficult position because he knew how his friend would feel but he wanted to be honest. As lightly as possible, "Killer Klowns from Outer Space." Useless even though he said it as gingerly as he could. Brett's complexion became deathly pale, "Clowns?" It takes a moment for him to recover and he shudders, "Ugh. No thank you. Clowns give me the creeps."

Last edited:
"I'm sure working on a vineyard will be different than a ranch. But I doubt the vineyard will have a pond for you to swim in after a hard day's work." He said with a small laugh. "We have a swimming hole, a pond that I would go to after a hard day's work. It's a bit secluded, have to take a horse to get to since it's in a wooded area. Too narrow for a truck to get through. Shaded so the water stays nice and cool on the hot days."

At the mention of looking at the menu and figuring out what they wanted to eat. Matthew had looked at the menu before hand with Josh, he was still intimidated by the prices. "Uh..." Josh had had no salad.... I think. Did he say that? Matthew couldn't remember now that he felt like he was being put on the spot. His face flushed, "P-probably just the classic spaghetti or... chicken alfredo." He said as he looked at the menu quickly. Those were the who non-expensive items on the menu that wasn't salad.

Though... Matthew continued to scan the menu. The bruschetta sounds good, and the chicken parm.... but that sounds generic. Matthew put the menu down and looked up at the two bigger males. "I'll just go with one of those."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back