• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Pioneering Roommates

Josh waited quietly as he held on to the herb book. Silly to think this way, but he was afraid that if he put the book down, it’d vanish and he’d have lost his chance. It wasn’t the first time that he was interested in buying something, had second thoughts, set it down, had a third thought, but the item was gone when he went back.

Business was quiet for a Sunday afternoon. Even though there were four cashier spots, only one was staffed. It was the man that spoke with Matt. He surrendered the tome momentarily to let him scan it. The man never broke eye contact as Josh was handed back change. The book was placed in a bag and he walked out Artisan Haven. There appeared to be something on the back and he turned the receipt over. Phone number plus winking face. Did Matt get a receipt like this? While I appreciate it, it is kinda inappropriate. Isn’t it?

His response was noticeably delayed, “There is a gym on campus, but no bakery. Bakery it is.” As they wait for the light, Josh speaks. “I like bakeries also. It’s the smell that I enjoy. I don’t try to imbibe, but it’s hard to when you bake and want to test your creations. Thankfully, I have a great metabolism. I have one that I call the OOCC, the Overly Opulent Chocolate Cake. It is so rich, it will steal your soul. Best paired with vanilla bean ice cream."

The light turns and they returning to the other side of the street, they approach Leitner Bakes. Josh returns the favor and opens the door for Matt. The smell assaults his nostrils him right away and fireworks go off in his head, “Pinch me Matt. I must be dreaming.”

It is a rectangular room. Along one wall, is a grand display case showcasing Danishes, streusels, muffins, and cookies. Along the adjoining wall, which is shorter, is smaller display case which is exclusively cakes. It is clear that visitors can order cakes. Opposite the grand display case are photos of the present and ages long past because it has been in operator for over a hundred and twenty years. Josh pauses momentarily to see sepia photos of Model-Ts right next to the same building they were now on. On a nearby shelf are souvenirs such as coffee mugs and thermoses, shirts, and hats. On the shelving next to the trinkets are loaves of freshly made bread: wheat bread, sourdough bread, cinnamon raisin bread, and more. There is a door on the right that leads to a patio area where patrons can enjoy a coffee with a newly purchased item.

Josh’s eyes seem to get bigger and bigger the longer he looks. It all looks so good and he’s hesitant to fork over all his money. “See anything that grabs your attention Matt? Those chocolate chocolate chip cookies are calling out to me.”

Last edited:
Matthew smiled, "Bakery it is then." He was hoping that the other would choose the bakery. He wasn't sure how long he was able to resist the place now that he knows it exists. "Another thing we have in common then. Love for bakeries." he said as they crossed the street. "I can't get enough of them, guilty pleasure if I haven't mentioned before." Listening to the other about his chocolate cake with ice cream, Matthew's stomach growled, making him place his hand over his stomach and rub it slightly.

"I can't really say I'm a fan of chocolate, but I do like it. I just don't really eat it much... Thanks." He said when Josh held the door open for him this time. Though when he stepped in, he paused as all of the delicious smells. Glancing at Josh, Matthew smiled slightly, he looked cute with the expression on his face. Looking around the shop, Matthew zeroed in at the scones, "Scones." Was he simple reply as he walked over to the scones and looked at them. His eyes couldn't have been any blue-er if they tried when he saw that they had blue berry scones. blue berry scones were his one weakness if he had any related to food. Oh wait, he did.

"How can I help you sir?"

Blinking, Matthew looked up at the girl that stood in front of him behind the display of food. "Uh... How much are the blue berry scones?" he couldn't help but ask.

"They are a dollar each, but we have a special going on at the moment where you can get 4 scones for 5 dollars. Same with the cookies since they are so big. "

That made Matthew's day over all. "I'll take four then." he said with a smile and watched as the girl grabbed the four blue berry scones and put them in a small box and walked over to the cash register to check the college student out.

"Was there anything else you wanted? Or was it just the scones?"

"Just the scones for now. I'll definitely be back at some point." he said as he paid for his treats. Taking the box, Matthew was like a kid in the candy store.

Josh said as they walked into the bakery, “There is one chocolate thing that I am leery of. That is German Chocolate Cake because I don’t like coconut. Why? I don’t like the texture. I take no offense if you don’t care for chocolate. I can bake other things.”

As he reviews the grand case, Josh studies it with extreme scrutiny. I know that we’ll come back, but it is so hard to decide what I want to start with. Argh! He looks up and said, “I’ll take four cookies. Two double chocolate chip cookies. Two peanut butter cookies. Plus two blueberry muffins.

Josh hands over the cash and he is given three boxes inside a large plastic bag. One box for the four cookies and one box for each muffin since like the cookies, they are large. They are so big, two people could share one.

He leaned over and whispered to Matt, “What are the chances that these goodies will remain untouched by the time we get back to the dorm?”

I’ll definitely need a good workout. Tonight’s kinda occupied. Have dinner and get ready for tomorrow’s classes. Tomorrow evening. Need to work out tomorrow evening. He goes over the words in his head like a mantra.

Looking that the other, Matthew smirked and laughed a bit, "Probably none. But if you want them to last. I could hold yours and you can hold mine. We can guard them from each other?" he suggested and was about to say something else when his phone started going off. "Hm...?" Pulling his phone out, Matthew paled slightly. "Shit..." he mutter, giving Josh a quick glance. "I forgot to home when I got here yesterday." he said before he answered his phone only to flinch when his mother started yelling into the phone.

"You were suppose to call when you got there, young man!" Matthew had to turn the volume on his phone down so that he didn't have to hold the phone away from his ear.

"Sorry, Ma. I forgot. I was distracted with everything. And, I made a friend." He said hoping to appease his mother.

"You made a friend?" Bingo, mother appeased. "What's he like? Is he your roommate? Not your roommate? You need more friends honey."

"Ma...Ma...MA! Geeze..." Matthew smiled and chuckled. "He's nice, Name is Josh." Matthew glance over at said person and smiled at him. "He is my roommate and I'm sure I'll make more friends when classes start tomorrow."

The conversation went of for a few more minutes about how Matthew was settling in and if he had everything he needed and such. "Ok.. Yeah.. Love you too, bye." Matthew hung the phone up and putting it back into his pocket, turning his full attention to Josh. "Sorry."

Hold onto his purchases while he holds onto mine? Josh was reminded by a skit that he saw in Kyoto and was about to tell Matt about it when his roommate’s phone started to buzz and it was answered. Josh knew that face. This was not going to be pretty. It’s made worse by the fact that we’re out in public. I’ll tell him later, maybe over dinner?

Josh stood there and hoped that Matt could turn things around. When he is mentioned, he smiled and waved at the phone even though there was no way for his mother to see his greeting. He holds onto his packages while he waits. Phone call is over, “That’s okay. These things do happen. When you told me about holding onto the goodies, I was thinking of a play I saw on my vacation. Anyhow, my parents would be the same way, less yelling, but still the same. The only time I can readily call I got really chewed at was when I joined the football team. I can't respond to say where I am if I’m out on the field. Should we head back to the room to store these goodies away or stay out some more? Me, I think we should put these away. Temperature has a way of screwing up baked items.”

Matthew agreed when going back to their room to at least but the baked goods away. "Yeah, we can do that. Then we hopefully won't be tempted to eat them right away." he said as they wanted out of the shop and back to Matthew's truck. Once in the vehicle, Matthew started the truck, pulled out of the parking spot and off they go back to the college. The drive back was relatively quiet, this gave Matthew a little bit to think about the day, though there wasn't much to think about. He was having fun for once and it was all thanks to Josh. Smiling a bit to himself at the thought. I think we'll be great friends.

Back at the college, they got out of the truck and walked back up to the dorm. Surprisingly, he didn't even touch any of his precious scones. Putting them in a place where they would go bad quickly, before putting his new markers and pens on his desk. "Now that we're back here, you still want to head out and find a place to eat? I'm ok with either staying here or going out." he said as he turned to the other guy. He really didn't mind one way or the other.

Josh opens the mini-fridge and stores away the muffins and the cookies away carefully as if they are precious jewels. He then scurries away to the bathroom and closes the door. A flush and hand washing later, he addresses Matt.

Josh purses his lips, “Okay, so I get to be the idea guy here. I don’t think we should have pizza. I had my fill of the stuff for a while and I don’t usually have the same food two days in a row unless it’s leftovers. I so wish I had a wheel right now I could spin.” He begins to mutter to himself about what kind of foods he hadn’t had in a while and what kind of food seems appealing to him at the moment. He looks back up and says, “Like barbecue? I think I spotted a place yesterday as I was coming into town. I could go for some brisket or beef ribs.” He pauses, “I don’t think we’ve talked about what type of food we like or about food allergies. It’s embarrassing to go to a place and there’s nothing on the menu to eat. I like lots of things but I don’t want to paint you into a corner.”

Matthew slowly had a grin forming on his face. "Josh." He started and tossed an arm around the other's shoulders already steering him out of the dorm. "You're are speaking my language." He loved barbecue, he could eat it every day if he could, it was something that always sounded good because you could have multiple things and not eat the same thing twice if you didn't want to.

Out of the dorm, Matthew had taking his arm from around Josh and opted to put his hand in his pockets. "I think I told you before, I'm always up to trying new things at least once. So as far as I know, I don't have any food allergies." he said as they walked down the hall back outside. "We can take my truck again." he said already walking towards his beauty. Once they were both in the vehicle, Matthew drove to the restaurant with directions from Josh. The place was nice and had good food, sitting and ordering their food, they ate in relative silence, small talk here and there getting to know each other a bit more about little things. Needless to say the rest of the day went really well and before Matthew knew it, he was out like a light on his bed in their dorm.

--

Monday morning, Matthew groaned softly at the sound of an alarm, reaching out he hit the damned thing as he cracked open his blue eyes to see if it stopped. It did. Slowly sitting up on his bed, again in just a pair of boxers no shirt, he had gotten hot in the middle of the night again. "Really need to get a fan..." he muttered still half asleep as he rubbed his face and glanced over to Josh's bed. The other was still asleep or would just now be waking up. Taking the chance, Matthew got up and went into the bathroom closing the door, but in his half asleep haze he didn't close it all the way leaving it only a crack open as he turned on the shower. Waiting for the water to get warm, Matthew brushed his teeth and rinsed his mouth out. He then took his boxers off and stepped into the shower, groaning at the warm water hitting his body. "Today is going to be a long day..." he muttered to himself and continued with his morning routine of showering.

Josh couldn’t believe what had happened. Matt had placed his arm around him and it had remained until they had exited the building. He recognized it was a gesture of camaraderie, but it was a big leap from being strangers just the day before.

This was the place: Marvin’s BBQ. The front of the building resembled a barn. Folksy. That is the first word that came to mind. He doubted little had changed since it opened fifty years before. They sat in a corner booth and opened the menus. The first thing he saw on the right side was the large font. Home of the Uncle John Challenge. He looks and observes, “That must be what the table on the stage at the front center is for.” He looks at the menu and sees what the challenge entails. Eat the 72 ounce steak made to order, salad with choice of dressing, baked potato, and roll with butter all within an hour. Alone and unaided. Entry fee is $50. If you win, you get an exclusive tee and your picture gets taken for the wall of fame. Plus, the meal is now free and the $50 is refunded. Fail for any reason and the $50 is forfeit. Josh looks up from the menu, “Our yearbook at St. Isidore had a Most Likely section for all the grads. Mine was most likely to enter an eating contest and win. Don’t worry. I'm not going to try it. Maybe one day, but today? Nope.” He selects the three meat plate with two sides. The players: brisket, beef ribs, pulled pork, potato salad, and stewed okra. Accompanying the meal is a large cup of tea.

Josh had no leftovers and he thanked his lucky stars. While he keeps an eye on the time, he gets ready for the big day by taking out his clothes and putting them on the doorknob of his closet. With that done, he pulls the hair band off his hair and washes his face. He puts on his gym shorts and a tank. He then reaches into the basket of his toiletries and take out the tube of his face mask paste. It is the color of matcha green tea and slowly firms up after he applies it to his face. It’s fifteen minutes till, and he sits down and he logs into the computer. Adjusting the webcam, he dials up Daisuke.

His cousin has short prickly hair, slightly longer in the front than in the back. If they stood side to side, Daisuke would be four inches taller but lankier. He’s also starting college and is studying engineering. His cousin speaks in the Kansai dialect. Yes, Josh converses in Japanese but he actually knows both the standard Japanese as well as the Kansai dialect because his father is from the region so when he converses with Daisuke, he slips into Kansai mode.

The last time they talked was when Josh and his parents stayed with his relatives. Daisuke seems energetic to talk. They catch up and what they think of college life so far. His cousin bobs his head because he sees movement behind Josh’s head. “Is that your roommate Ryota?” Josh cheerfully responds, “It sure is. His name is Matt and he’s awesome. We both love to draw. This is my most recent work.” He holds up the centaur drawing and Daisuke tells him, “Looks pretty good and you just started today? You should show me when it’s finished. My roommate is at the club. He wanted me to go with him, but I told him that I had an appointment to keep. Your roommate looks busy but I will give a quick hello.” Daisuke switches to English and looks at Matt as best as he can given the cam set up, “Good luck to you tomorrow in your classes.” Back in Kansai, Daisuke wishes Josh good luck as well. An hour after the chat started, it comes to an end but more will follow another day. Josh washes the mask off and settles into bed. As soon as his head hits the pillow, he’s out.

It is Monday morning and an alarm, but not his, goes off. Ten minutes later, his does. Rather, all three. His radio comes on and provides the morning news and weather while his watch beeps and his phone starts playing the 5th Dimension's Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In medley. Josh swings his legs to the side of the bed. He had worn the tank to bed but morning finds it on the floor. When did that happen? Sometimes he wears the shorts/tank combo like last night but there are those mornings that he wakes up to find either shorts or tank off or both off. He had heard Matt’s desire for a fan. Sounds like a good idea. I always liked a nice breeze.

Josh hears the shower and to occupy his time while he wait, he gets on the floor and starts to do push ups “Ichi, ni, san…”

Last edited:
Getting out of the shower, Matthew dried himself off before getting dressed. He chose a pair of jeans and lightly blue long sleeve button up. He was rolling up his sleeve as he came out of the bathroom when he paused seeing Josh. "Push ups in the morning?" He commented, as he grabbed his bag and a scone he was lucky to not have eaten yesterday. "I have class in thirty minutes. Yipee..." He said as he stepped past Josh towards the door putting the scone in his mouth to open the door. After taking his first bite of the scone, Matthew practically moaned at the taste. "I'll see you later yeah?" he asked sticking around long enough to hear a short answer before heading out the door, closing it with a soft click.

"Lets see...." he muttered to himself, taking a bite out of his blue berry scone and looking at his schedule on his phone. "Literature first. Great." Looking at the location of the class, Matthew was glad that it was fairly close and quickly walked to the next building leaving the dorm. Quickly walking to his first class of many that day, Matthew made it in time, early in fact. He was able to find a seat in the middle of the classroom, taking the things he needed out for his class. He began to focus and not really notice much else. Most of his day was consistent like that, getting to class early and focus. Literature, History, Math that was his morning, next after a lunch break would be science and finishing up with art and design classes.

At the end of his morning, Matthew found a field to sit in and just relax. Pulling out his phone, he was going to text Josh, but then realize that they never exchanged numbers. Pursing his lips, Matthew sighed before he just laid down in the grass, enjoying the sunlight. He was hungry, but he didn't really know what he wanted and he had about two and half hours to think about it.

Josh did a few more pushups and got off the floor, “Yup. I wanted to do something constructive while I waited. Maybe I should have checked my phone to check where the Y was though. Still got all day. My plan is to go after dinner.” As he saw Matt open the door, “Sure thing. Dinnertime, I guess? Unless I see you in a class before then.” The door closed and locked. Time for me to do the same. Two classes this morning and then lunch .Two more classes this afternoon, then dinner.

Josh opened the dresser and took out a pair of briefs, as always. He entered the shower and bathed. He thought about yesterday and how he came so close to telling Matthew that he was a werewolf. He rehearsed as the water flowed, “Matthew. I can explain this. Don’t be afraid. I am not a monster. I may look different, but it is still me.” None of the possible words seemed suitable. He knew that he had to be careful, but also new that careful wasn’t foolproof.

Josh exited and started to dress. Beige khaki pants and a striped blue/green polo. He tied up his hair and stooped in front of the mini-fridge. “Let’s try one of these muffins. If Matt’s reaction is any indication, it tastes like bliss. He undid the wrapper and cut it in half. Half was automatically put in a plastic baggie which he stored back in the fridge. He sniffed the blueberry muffin and took a bite. Yes, tastes like bliss.” He so much wanted to eat the second half, but decided against it.

He checked his schedule one more time and made sure that he had everything he needed for the morning. He even double checked. He didn’t want to have to come back here and then back again and risk being late for a class. It would be embarrassing for a winner of the four year perfect attendance award to ever be late for a class. Today: First Math and then Literature. After lunch, History and Latin. He locked the door and headed out the building.

As he walked to his class, he got a weird feeling from time to time. Josh’d be walking and would pass by people. He’d look back because of the feeling and a started person would quickly glance away. Back home, he didn’t really have a choice because shirts had to be tucked in. Once he had a moment to himself, he pulled his polo out and left it untucked.

He entered math class and sat in the most strategic place which was always in the middle of the room. It was one of his schooling habits because he felt that he could look at the board and hear the teacher better. He wondered how Matt was doing with his classes. Algebra wasn’t too bad, but he wishes for the end nonetheless.

Literature was livelier. Dr. Tompkins was a rotund man who walked with a cane. Students would come in and a quote would be on the board. It would always relate to today’s lesson. He wore white pants and a teal short sleeved button shirt. He energetically talked about books. Friendly man, but he had his seriousness. He warned the class with dread eyes that if they use movies or other cheats to get ahead instead of hard work, he would know. Josh shook his head sadly. Who would cheat themselves?

Class over, he returned to his room to drop off his stuff and he headed to the school cafeteria. Would Matt be there?

Finally deciding what he wanted, Matthew got up from his spot and headed for the cafeteria. He still had his bag with him as he entered the building. Low key looking for that one familiar person, but wasn't able to spot him. "Maybe he still has class..." he muttered as he got into the line to order his food. He order a hamburger with fries. Waiting for his food, Matthew glanced around again, both looking for Josh and also looking for a spot to sit down. He couldn't help but chuckle as he noticed that it was just like high school. Everyone had their little clicks.

The jocks were in the middle goofing around and checking out the girls that walked by, the 'nerds' were all huddled together off to a far side with books on the tables hunched over as they ate, the 'popular' pretty girls sat at a table close but not too close to the jocks, whispering and giggling at their antics. Then you had the loners, kind of like Matthew, who just sat where ever there was a space available just passing the day by without getting noticed. Luckily there wasn't any bullying that he could see right off the bat, so maybe not so much like high school. Matthew was thankful for that.

Getting his food, Matthew opted for an empty table off to the back where he would be bothered by anyone. Luckily the table was by a window, so he had some sun shining in on him. Taking a fry and popping it into his mouth, Matthew arranged his hamburger to his preference before picking up the hot sandwich and taking a bite. He was bit bummed that he could find Josh, but it also didn't bother him much, since it was most likely that he was still in class or he made friends already and was hanging out with them. Hell for all he knew he could have been in the cafeteria already and was sitting with the rest of the jocks. Matthew didn't put much thought into it as he continued to eat.

The cafeteria was located in the Pollard Community Center. First floor was the cafeteria and the bookstore. Second floor had conference rooms available for clubs and in the corner was a coffee shop. There was the entrance to the cafeteria and the exit led to the dining room which opened out into Center’s main corridor.

Josh stepped in and scanned the area, something like the Terminator, in that he stood still and the only movement consisted of his neck and eyes. The far left was the grill where burgers were made and sandwiches built and the middle consisted of hot entrees and sides which rotated daily and the right section had pizza slices in a small cabinet. Right next to it was a selection of ingredients that the cook on duty would use to saute in a wok. In the middle there was a salad bar and a dessert carousel.

Let’s try something sensible for lunch. He picked up a tray and got out a bowl. Approaching the salad bar, he took the tongs and selected the ingredients: Spinach, cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumber, red bell pepper, plus croutons and shredded Parmesan cheese. Dressing is balsamic vinaigrette. Now for a drink. He fills a plastic cup with a few ice cubes and unsweet tea. He approaches the cashier and hands over his ID card so that it can be scanned in order for his meal can be accounted for.

Josh enters the dining hall. It is a large room with navy blue carpeting. There are rounds tables and wooden chairs. In the far left, there was a small cluster of tables and chairs on a raised platform. Just a few feet away there was a sunroom which afforded some privacy. The entrance to the sunroom is narrow and that one has to be near it to see if anyone was in there. All who ate here in the sunroom got a good look upon green space where students could play on the lawn or have picnics. He looks to the left and to the right hoping to find Matt. There is no sign of his roommate. He looks at the jolly jocks. When in doubt, go with what is customary.

“Room for one more?” They simmer down a bit and one says, “Sure.” Josh sits down and converses while he stuffs veggies in his mouth. These are the same guys from Saturday’s meeting. Another guy said, “You sure left in a hurry with that other guy. We never caught your name.” He replies, “Josh Nakayama.” Another asks, “Play any sports?” Josh replies, “Football. Football football, not soccer.” The others come from diverse sporting backgrounds and those who played football eagerly chat with him and compare stats. They are quite impressed.

Some of the girls get poutty because they are now being ignored. They make moves to try to refocus the houghts on the guys. It works on them, but Josh is obviously immune. Here’s the discreet comment, “What’s wrong? You don’t find them hot?” Josh said, “They’re pretty, but I don’t see them the same way you do. I’m into dudes. Only.” The others flinch and the girls who overhear Josh look devastated. No amount of allure will ever catch his eye. As in high school, there is doubt. Eventually, they see a glimmer in his eyes that they recognize. It is the same desiring eyes they see in the girls. To try to get their minds off the revelation, they being to talk about other things other than girls. It makes them more comfortable.

This is what it’s like to be caught between two worlds.

Last edited:
He didn't Josh, sighing, Matthew didn't know why he was so bummed about it. Because he's your only friend. Standing up from the table he was at, Matthew grabbed his bag and slung it over his shoulder before taking the tray and walking to the trash, discarding the trash before putting the tray on top of all the others. Pulling his phone, Matthew had enough time to run up to his dorm and change out his books before his next class started. Stuffing the phone back into his pocket, Matthew walked through the cafeteria to get to the exit.

While walking through, he had spotted Josh with the other jocks he had noticed before. Not watching where he was going, a bit too focused on Josh and his new friends, Matthew walked into a brick wall. "Hey! Watch where you're going, man." The brick wall talked? Looking up just slightly, Matthew's face turned a bit red. "Sorry." He said. He had bumped into another person, a bit taller than him and more muscular. Matthew was intimidated, but surprised when the other guy then bent down to pick something up.

"Just watch where you're going next time, yeah? You dropped this by the way." Handing Matthew a piece of paper before walking off.

"Huh?" Looking down at the paper, "I didn't drop this." he said turning to the guy who grinned. "I know... I did. Why don't you throw it in the trash for me?" The guy laughed.

Clenching his jaw, Matthew tossed the trash away and left the cafeteria. I don't have time for this! He could hear the guy laughing behind him. "Owned!" Asshole.

Josh looked at his watch. It is time to go. The others had left him to finish and they were quickly followed by the chatty girls. He had heard a couple of whispered comments about his orientation. Alone, he growled a real growl. Does being attracted to men make me any less of a man? To get his mind off them, he took out his phone to check in with his parents via text messages to let them know how the day was going so far. He placed his phone back into his pocket to dash back to his room to get his books.

He placed the tray on the conveyor belt and gave it a gentle nudge. He saw it roll across the cylinders of the belt. He left the Community Center through one of the two entrances. He saw Matt some distance away. It really was him. He had thought he has seen Matt but it was for the briefest of instances and hadn’t been sure. I wasn’t sure, but there he is. "Hey Matt! Over here!” Josh flails his arms up and down eagerly to get his roommate’s attention. If I sprint, I can catch up.

Josh jumped to clear the last few stairs and his feet landed securely upon the grass. He ran as fast as he could without appearing weird. I'm not on the field. I am just a civilian trying to catch up to a friend. Might just be a little bit, but maybe we can chat a bit before the next round of classes.

Last edited:
Hearing his name being called out, Matthew stopped walking and looked back. Seeing Josh, Matthew smiled and waited for the other. When Josh caught up to him, Matthew began walking again this time with Josh. "Hey. So how did your first morning of classes go?" he asked. They were heading to the dorm, Matthew needed to change out somethings in his bag.

He was still peeved with the guy he had bumped into, Acting like it's still high school. They need to grow up. Matthew sighed something to himself, running a hand through his hair. He didn't know why it still bothered him. But he quickly covered it up. "I'll tell you, my morning was exhausting, I already have homework! Can you believe that? At least it's easy though, so won't take up too much time to get it all done."

Once back inside the dorm, Matthew quickly went to his bed and took his books in favor of putting new ones in for his next classes. He was taking a lot, but luckily he didn't have any over the week end or Friday. He got lucky picking classes that where all Monday thru Thursday. This semester anyway, next he might not be so lucky. Looking at his watch, he still had a little bit of time before he really had to get going to his next class.

Time for my patented appear to be exhausted face. Josh didn’t tire out like most and had to develop cues over the years that would legitimize the output that his body appeared to be capable of. “Whew! I thought you were closer to me than that. So, classes. Math turned out as I expected. Wretched. I do well enough, but it’s my worst subject. If I could, I’d drop it. It’s core so I can’t. Lit was more enjoyable. I had Dr. Tompkins. Do you have him?” Josh then looked at Matt’s face. Something’s wrong.

Matt then tells him about his morning and being given homework. So that’s why he feels like that. “Yup me too, but I’m good when it comes to homework. My brain’s already ruminating on it. I just need to put it to paper.” He let out a puff of air.

“What did you have for lunch? I had a yummy yummy salad. I just with the company I ate with was a bit more enlightened.” Josh goes on to say that the jocks seemed okay to eat with. “They’re as crazy as sports and girls like those guys I new back home. They asked why I didn’t find the girls at the other table attractive and I told the truth. I told them I was into guys. The froze like deer in the headlights, but we continued to chat. Workout routines, past glories. Then those mushmellons showed their true colors though when they thought I was out of earshot. They thought I only joined because I would enjoy the physicality if you catch my meaning.” Josh frowned and looked away.

Josh tossed out the morning books and bagged his afternoon books, “I’d rather eat alone than eat with guys like that. Maybe some of the guys back home felt that way about me. I don’t know, but at least they had the decency to keep their thoughts to themselves.”

He double checks he has everything and looks up, “We ought to head back out for the next round of classes, but let’s meet back here afterwards so we can go to dinner together.” Josh winks.

Matthew couldn't help but smile at Josh's silly talk. He found it kind of cute. Hearing about Josh's morning, "Yeah, I have Dr. Tompkins. He's a little weird, but I don't mind it." he said only to frown at hearing about those other jocks.

"You're better than them anyway." he said as he lifted his bag over his shoulder. "So I wouldn't worry about it. They're going to realize soon that your good at what you do and then nothing else will matter. This isn't high school, it's suppose to be better. You have to remember that it's only the first day. Just don't pay them any mind." He turned around to face the other. However when Josh looked up at him, Matthew couldn't help the blush that crept up his face.

"Heh... If I didn't know it, I'd say your trying to ask me out." he said slightly embarrassed. He would so say 'Yes' if the other was, at least he thought he would if it was true. Josh is just being a friend. Friends ask other friends to dinner.

"I have classes until four. So depending on when your classes end. We can go to dinner say six or seven?"

Josh blushed back, “Sure I am asking you. I am asking as your roommate. If we were going on a true date, it wouldn’t be to the school cafeteria. We’d make it a grand evening of it.” A pause and a smile, “Just no clubbing. I don’t think I’m the clubbing type, but I could try just once if you want to.”

Exiting the building and walking the path before they would go their separate ways, “Four for me also. Six seems kinda late if we get out at four. I would say 5pm or 5:30pm at the latest. We could eat in the sunroom if you’d like. Seems like a better place to eat because of the view.”

He looks at the path, “Unless we’re going in the same direction, this is where I turn.”

Last edited:
Matthew looked at the other, "I'm not really much into clubbing, so you wouldn't have to worry about that... if you did ask me out, that is." He following Josh, he paused when they exited the building. "Ok then... 5pm it is. I'll meet you in the sunroom. It's where I ate lunch. I'll see you then? I'm the opposite direction." he said with a slight wave at Josh before heading off to his next class. The rest of the day, Matthew couldn't help but think about Josh.

God, I'm stupid! Now he's going to think I have the hots for him! Assuming that he asked me out. You're an idiot Matt!

At the end of his classes, Matthew was hungry and tired, they went a little longer than expected and he had stayed behind to finish his art assignment along with a few other students. Walking his way to the cafeteria, he was looking out for Josh but hasn't seen him yet. Sighing, he walked inside and went to the line to order his food. What am I going to eat? Looking up at the menu, he decided on a salad with egg , cheese, and bacon and Meatloaf with mash potatoes and sweet glazed carrots. Finishing it off with a sweet iced tea. Giving the clerk his card to scan before walking off to the sunroom.

Once again, he looked around, still not spotting Josh yet, but he knew the other would be there when he could. Finding an empty table, Matthew sat down and started on his salad.

Josh waved back cheerfully. He turned around and crossed the brick path. His history class was to be conducted in an older building. One of the original six. He was quite early and took the opportunity to take his phone out to find how to get from the dorm to the YMCA branch.

Satisfied, Josh sat and waited. Eventually, students started to trickle in. A few girls looked at him and tried to determine which of his features they liked best. The lesson started and they focused on the professor.

Latin was his next class but not for another hour so he headed back the the room for a respite. He continued drawing his centaur sketch. The male, clad in just a old sweat-stained tee, looked dreamy. He should because he has my face. Black hair was loose as the centaur rested his human arms on the fence looking at the visitor. The amused visitor reclines against the tree. The build was Brett's and he absentmindedly starts to fill in the head. He stops and promptly erases it. The head and face was half-done, but it was clearly based on Matt. No. Not this. I don't want him to see this and think bad of me. In the few minutes afforded him, he looks over his brown pencils and starts to fill in the blank arms and beings outlining Trevor's face with his low fade and short twists. He closes the sketchpad and grabs his backpack and runs off to his class.

After 5pm, he returns to his room and drops off his stuff before heading to the cafeteria. The entrees and sides look okay, but nothing holds his attention. He doesn't feel like a burger or sandwich or a rerun of pizza or salad. He decides on the wok station. The most wonderful blend of smells and tastes await him. Shrimp, soba noodles, tofu, snow peas, other veggies cookies in soy sauce. He picks up a pair of wooden chopsticks. It seems they are rarely chosen. The paper envelope seems old. His drink is strawberry lemonade.

The jocks from earlier are there but he passes by them, without acknowledgment, and makes his way to the sunroom.

Matt's back faces him. Josh blurts, "Bing bong. Here I am." He then sits down and faces his roommate. The envelope is torn open and he sticks the chopsticks in his meal. "How were the rest of your classes?"

He had been sitting there for a short while, long enough to finish his salad and move onto his actually dinner. The meatloaf was delicious! As was the mash potatoes and sweet glazed carrots. Did they make these from scratch?! He was already in love with the cooks for making things from scratch. Some things were just better that way then premade meals. He was so into his food that he didn't even noticed or feel anyone coming up behind him. Matthew jumped slightly when Josh began to speak and laughed slightly. "Geez give me a heart attack, why don't you." He stated as the other sat down at the table with him. and began to eat his own meal.

Sighing, "My classes... ugh... don't even get me started. They seemed to just drag on. I left my art class late. I had to finish my day project." He said taking another bite, swallowing. "The art class was fine, it was design that seemed to drag, so many little details needed. But, side note, my art instructor liked the logo. She was impressed with the pose of the wolf's head. Thanks by the way.

"How were the rest your classes? Hopefully not as long and drawn out as mine." Matthew took a bite of his carrots and moaned softly. "So good." Takes another bite.

When Matt jumped slightly, Josh's eyes twitched. "Sorry. It's not the first time that I've had that affect on others." He blushes in embarrassment.

Back in high school, once Josh’s body had developed into a splendid specimen of teenaged masculinity, the more timid geeky guys who didn’t know him only saw a prototypical jock. He talked greatly about working out and football. They feared that he would give wedgies or swirlies. He was a jock, high school nobility, wasn’t he?

“I hope I didn’t scare you too much. Maybe I ought to wear a bell around my neck.” Josh deftly handled the chopsticks and chowed on the noodles and shrimp. Slurp! “Wouldn’t I look silly? When I was little, my mom made me a purple crayon costume. I was so scrawny at that age, that I wore it two years in a row. Not so scrawny anymore.” Slurp some more. "Oishii. I couldn't decide between soy or teriyaki, but still bodacious."

Josh leans forward and listens to his roommate talk about his classes, “You’re welcome. I’m glad she liked it. My afternoon classes went well enough. Latin was something else. The professor asked each student to stand to conjugate the verbs of the day. I stood up and enunciated wonderfully. Anyhow, some girls behind me were so obviously checking out the goods that the professor actually had to snap her fingers to pull them back to reality.” After a good chuckle, Josh holds up his fingers and tries to snap them in vain, “Never could snap my fingers. I’m skillful with my fingers, but they can’t snap.”

Josh’s nostrils and zeroed in on the meatloaf, “That must surely taste awesome. I might have gotten it if I hadn’t had meat two days in a row. Last time I made meatloaf, I added a link of Italian sausage. Gave it some pizzazz.” He takes out his phone and said, “Oh, I was able to find Sutter’s YMCA. I’m going to let my food settle a bit once we get back to the room and then I plan to go work out for about an hour. Maybe an hour and a half. Let me go ahead and give you my phone number. I don't think we've exchanged numbers. I can then pose for a facepic or give you one of mine to use.”

Matthew waved his hand in dismissal. "Don't worry about it, I was stuck in my head." he said not wanting Josh to feel back. "A purple crayon? Really? That'd be a sight to see." he said with a small laugh. Listening to Josh about this classes, Matthew's mind couldn't help but go dirty at the small harmless comment about the other's fingers. Oh god... you are a horrible person. Matthew looked down trying to distract himself as he took a few bites of his carrots, still listening to the other.

"It is." he said though he scrunch his nose slightly. "I'm not really one to change something that's already really good. But I'll take your word for it." he said as he continued to eat his dinner. "YMCA huh? Glad you found one. So I suspect you'll be late coming back?" he asked. He wasn't planning on stay up too late since classes had started now. He was only going to stay up late enough to finish the homework that was due the next day and then turn in for an early night.

"Oh? Yeah sure. I don't think we have either. " He said taking his phone out and handing it to Josh to put his number in and Matthew did the same for Josh. "Only if you want to. You'd be the first to have a picture for their contact in my phone." It wasn't that he didn't like pictures for his contact, he just never bothered with it. Once Matthew was done eating, he leaned back in his chair and stretched his arms over his head. "Man, I'm stuffed. If I didn't have any homework to do tonight, I'd just go to bed right now. It was exhausting today." Unfortunately he did have homework to complete before going to bed.

Josh smiled, "If you come by my place, we can head up the the attic. I have all my old costumes up there in a box that is as secure as Fort Knox."

"Coming back late? I think I'd be back about 8pm. Got homework after all. Once we clear a week or two, I think I'll have a routine. More or less. I hit the gym three time a week at least. I would go Saturday morning, but I have my cooking shows which I really don't want to miss. I was thinking Sunday afternoon and evenings on Tuesdays and Thursdays." Josh pauses as he thinks about the timing, "Anyhow, a couple hours of homework when I get back and be in bed by 10:30pm."

Josh selected Matt's phone number and opened his picture gallery. "Here's a face pic." It is of him in gear of a different sort. "I've volunteered during the Japanese festival for the past couple of years by dressing as a samurai." His eyes glaze in fondness. "Two sides of the same coin." He chuckles, "Imagine me in my football unform being tossed back a few centuries to feudal Japan. Hmm, sounds like a good idea for a sketch.

He looks at the empty bowl in front of him. Josh then looks up at Matt, "That's that. Might as well turn these in and head back to the room for a bit."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back