• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Path to Power

We've been taking every risk we've come across. Can't stop now. To the frontier!

And I agree with everyone that having surprise spells would be fun.

I have nothing to contrbuite save adding the same vote as everyone else!

By all means, please vote even if your vote is the same as everyone else. Feedback is important to me, and I only have so many ways of getting it. :xFsmile:

>Leave for the frontier.

Vincent decided to leave for the frontier immediately.

There would be no gathering of supplies, no packing, had no supplies to pack and not a coin to his name to purchase them. He didn't even have a way to travel the vast distances it would require to leave the Imperial City, let alone any proper clothing that would shield him from the elements.

It didn't matter, he had power now. Power to defy the whims of nature, or shape them more to his liking.

Vincent had to struggle to contain his mirth as he began preparations for his spell. A circle of power, some mystic signs and a bit of willpower to cajole the ambient energies of the world were all he needed. It was all so easy, and opportunities before now him were endless. Vincent watched with rapt fascination and suppressed glee as the mystic forces slowly coalesced inside the circle, glowing slightly like a thick fog lit by a candle.

Within moments, the arcane magics had morphed themselves in to a perfect likeness of a mighty stallion, complete with saddle and bridal. It stood before him, obedient and eager to serve it's creator. With one last look at his creation, Vincent mounted the phantasmal steed and spurred it in to motion.

Only to nearly fall and break his neck as the creature broke in to a full gallop.

It was a valuable lesson, Vincent reflected as he clung for dear life to the beast and struggled to maintain his position on it's back. He may have power now, power to create a facsimile of life itself, but if he wasn't careful, that very power could end up being the death of him.

Finally stable on the horse's back, Vincent watched as the countryside sped by in a blur of motion. The horse wasn't true flesh and blood, and knew no fatigue or weariness, enabling to travel at full speed nonstop. Already the mighty walls of the Imperial city were far behind him, along with every trace of his miserable old life.

The sun had long ago set below the horizon, and the warmth of the day was slowly ebbing in to the cool winds of night. Vincent knew that he would have to make shelter soon or risk succumbing to the cold.

Slowing his mount down to a steady trot, Vincent cast his eyes about for a suitable place to rest for the evening. He had just spotted an ideal location behind a small mound just off the road, when the sound of metal clashing against metal met his ears.

Curiosity getting the better of him, he steered his mount around the bend, and was met with the sight of three figures under assault from what looked to be a half dozen assailants.

The three figures looked to be soldiers, as they were covered head to toe in heavy plate, and mounted on very fine warhorses. The assailants were armed with spears, and were slowly closing in around the three figures.

Vincent could could tell that this had been a pre-planned ambush, and not a bunch of rogues striking a target of opportunity. The presence of the spears prevented the soldiers from simply charging through them. Even as the thought went through his mind, the assailants charged the surrounded soldiers, their spears finding home in horseflesh. With cries of pain, the mighty beasts fell, dislodging their riders who were forced to leap from their mounts or be trapped under them. One of them didn't make it, and was swiftly killed by his attackers.

The other two had drawn their swords and readied their shields. One of them was in much higher quality armor than the other, and Vincent could taste the magic that they channeling. A Knight, then, wielding their own style magics.

In any other situation, Vincent would have given the win to the men with the spears, but with the Knight, the two figures would have a strong chance, even when out numbered three times over.

A timely intervention might tip the scales one way or another...

What do you do?

>Aid the Knight and the soldier. Having a powerful figure like that in your debt would be invaluable.

>Aid the assailants. If you can impress them enough to convince them to follow you, they could be useful pawns.

>Do nothing. This isn't your problem, and you don't care enough about either side to get involved.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm very impressed with your level of writing! This is exactly what I have been looking for: an intriguing plot, amazing writer and all in the simple package of a quest log.

My choice:
Aid the Knight and solider - I can see the pros and cons of both sides, but what good are pawns when they are as common as mud? A single powerful ally could very well turn the tide in your favour in any future engagements. Plus, it doesn't seem likely that the thugs would have any loyalty, while the Knight would be bound to repay your debt by honour.

Hey! Welcome to the quest and thanks for the kind words! Feel free to let anyone you know who might be interested about the quest!

Hmm... interesting choice. I'll certainly want to pick a side here, no way we just miss that opportunity. Think I'd want to go for the assailants, though - let these six men be the first ones to serve us, as a prime example for all those common people who will follow us at one point or another.

Last day to vote, everyone! Currently we're at a tie, so hurry up and pick something (or bring in a friend to cast their vote) or I'll do it for you! :xFtongue:

>Help the Knight and the soldier.
>Subtle Character Trait synergies with Scholar Character Trait. Spellblade Class Unlocked.

As no one had realized Vincent had appeared on the scene, he took this opportunity to dismount and shoo away the magically created horse. He had no sword or spear, and attempting combat on a horse without such a weapon would only be asking for trouble.

Palming his knife, Vincent slowly began to walk towards the melee, whispering spells under his breath. He was no warrior, not by a long shot, but mystic talents and his knack for underhandedness meant that he would be a deadly figure on the battlefield regardless.

The first spell he wove was one of protection. An invisible, ablative barrier materialized out of the aether around him, and was strong enough to negate lesser attacks and blunt the trauma of stronger blows.

The second spell he wove was one of bloodletting His knife shone with a subtle, deadly light as the magics hardened the blade and honed it's edge to the point where it could cut stone.

The third and final spell he wove was one of quickness in body and mind. Vincent was a thinking man, and more time to think in a pitched situation would give him a very formidable advantage. As the last spell took hold, time around him began to twist and distort, pooling in to stillness or rushing in to motion.

The backs of all the assailants were turned to Vincent, and with preternatural grace and precision, Vincent moved quickly to the rear of one, and seized him by the back of the head.

The man struggled for a brief moment, surprised as the sudden grip on his hair. The struggles were short lived however, as Vincent's knife soon found it's way to the man's throat, slitting it in one quick motion.

The sound of the man's cries of surprise and gurgling death throes were another lesson to Vincent. Next time he would stab the man in the back and drive the air from his lungs. As it was, the man's last cries has alerted his comrades to his existence.

Shouts of alarm rang out among the assailants, and new orders were barked by someone in the group to death with him. In those scant few moments, Vincent had seized the spear the now dead assailant had been carrying and wove the spell of bloodletting over it as well.

Two men broke off their attack from the Knight and the soldier, who themselves were unsure what to make of Vincent's sudden appearance. Their hesitation was only momentary, as the Knight used the distraction provided by Vincent to charge forward, bringing a blade crackling with power, cleaving two men in half with a single blow.

Sidestepping a spear that was thrust at him by one of the assailants, Vincent trapped the shaft of the weapon and gave it a sharp jerk, using the assailant's own forward momentum against him to pull him off balance. His attack disrupted, Vincent drove his own spear in to the man's chest, downing him instantly as his heart suddenly found itself decorating a spearhead.

Bereft of his new weapon, Vincent was forced on the defensive, dodging and ducking between the blows of two more assailants. His quicken mind allowed him to accurately judge their attacks, but it was his protective spells that prevented them from skewering him as their attacks came nearer and nearer to their mark.

Playing the dodging game eventually drove his two attackers to lose their cool, and their attacks became more aggressive and reckless. Eventually an opening was presented to him which Vincent seized with murderous intent. Dodging between the two spears, Vincent's knife found it's way in the throat of one of the assailants.

Unfortunately, Vincent had overextended himself, and could not turn to finish off the second attacker in time. With a shock to his whole body, Vincent found a spear lodged in his chest, with only his protective spell preventing it from being instantly lethal.

Desperate, Vincent threw his knife at the second attacker. Guided by the bloodletting spell, it found it's mark neatly in the man's heart. Vincent and his assailant collapsed to the ground, with Vincent trying to stay conscious and work a spell to try and repair the damage done to his body.

It was not to be, the damage was too great for him to focus his magics. Blackness slowly took him as he bled out, and the last thing he saw before his vision faded was the Knight cutting down the last of their assailants.

>>>>>

Sound came back first, muffled and distorted. A sea of inky blackness broken only by discordant noises was all Vincent knew. Sight came soon after, blurry and fogged. As his vision returned, his hearing became sharper and clearer, and the muffled sounds turned themselves in to words.

"Are you alright, can you hear me?" Said a voice. Vincent's vision slowly returned to him alongside his hearing, and he soon saw that the voice belonged to the Knight whom he had lent his aid. Such as it was.

"Don't try to move too suddenly, I wasn't able to fully heal the damage." The Knight said, putting a hand on his shoulder as Vincent attempted to sit up. A burning pain in his abdomen reinforced the Knight's words, and Vincent's eyes traveled to his body, where a vicious looking scar had formed.

"Thanks." Vincent said, gingerly touching the scar on his chest. It was another lesson, protective spells could save a life, but armor wasn't a bad idea either. He made a mental note to see if he could acquire some in the future. Life on the frontier would undoubtedly be just as dangerous as this.

"It's I who should thank you." Said the Knight, taking off her helmet to reveal a young woman with blond hair and green eyes. Her features were sharp, definitely pretty but had an indisputable air of authority and regal command to them, typical of other Knights. "I would surely have perished had not you intervened when you did. I am in your debt, sir." She said.

Vincent slowly brought himself to his feet, aided partially by the Knight. His mission was a success, after a fashion. While he had taken more of a beating than he would have liked, the Knight was grateful for his assistance and felt as though she owed him. The trick now was to try and leverage that gratitude without offending her Knightly honor.

"I did what I could." Vincent said, feigning humility. "I just wish I had arrived before your comrade had fallen." He said, recalling the soldier who had been crushed beneath his mount.

"Commrads." The Knight corrected, looking sadly over her shoulder to where the other soldier lay. Three spears had pieced his armor, a sign that the man had fought to the last before falling. "Both Hector and Maurice were skilled and valued protectors, but even numbers can overwhelm."

"I'm sorry for your loss." Vincent said. "But why would a Knight need a protector?" He asked, his curiosity getting the better of him. Knights were typically powerful warriors, armed with an array of deadly battle magics. The idea that they needed bodyguards was unusual, to say the least.

"When you are second in line for the throne, there are many who would view you as a potential threat." The Knight said. She gave a courtly bow, before drawing herself up in to a proper, formal introduction. "I am Princess Cassandra of Disandar. Well met, warrior." She said.

Vincent stared at the woman before him, mouth agape, his mind blank, unable to fully comprehend what was happening. The Royal Princess?! What was she doing out here? Under so light a guard? And who were the assailants that he had rescued her from?

Vincent was now worried that he had just interfered a major political power play, something that he was absolutely not ready for yet. He knew that with the Emperor being all but immortal, the lives of his progeny were not as all-important to him as another ruler's heirs would be, but they were still his children, and attempting to assassinate one was a serious offense.

"Please, be at ease." Cassandra said, the corner of her mouth twitching as it tried to suppress a smirk. "You have saved my life, I think the barriers of formality can be dropped between us." She said.

Cassandra extended a hand towards Vincent, expecting him to take it. "And I still have not heard the name of the warrior with whom I am indebted to." She said.

This refocused Vincent back on the present. Massive political implications aside, he had just saved a child of the emperor. He was playing with fire now, and if he wasn't careful he could get burned. Better approach this cautiously for now.

"Vincent." He said, taking her hand and shaking it in greeting. "And..."

She thinks you are a warrior, How much of your magic do you reveal?
>Some of it. The magic horse will be a bit of a giveaway, but there's no need to tell her all your tricks just yet.

>All of it. Better to put your cards on the table so she trusts you. No need to risk any damage to a potential ally's opinion of you just yet.

Tell her just enough to satisfy. No need to reveal all your secrets to someone you've known for ten minutes (and who may not even be a princess. People lie, you know).

It's clear that she possess exceptional magic skills, lying to someone of her caliber will be challenging, better to come clean and be honest with her. Perhaps she can help our protagonist take his skills to the next level, and it is important to build up trust with an ally early on.

Why do I even bookmark posts when I forget to look at them regardless? Anyway, it's probably best to tell her that we are indeed a decent spellcaster (she will find that out soonish anyway), but certainly don't reveal the source of our power. No need to dig our own grave just yet.

Yup, just a some of the infomation. Just because Cassandra is a princess it doesn't mean she has a free pass to know everything about Vincent. Respect her but she is still a stranger to him. Hopefully, she'll understand Vincent's cautiousness.

>Reveal a little of your magics.

"And must confess that I'm no true warrior." Vincent said after shaking her hand. "I possess some skill in Wizardry, which was the source of most of my feats tonight." Vincent wasn't sure what was going on here, but for now it seemed prudent to play things close to the chest. A significant portion of his spells were the kind that would go unnoticed when employed, a deliberate choice on his part, as he had no desire to reveal himself to the world at large just yet. It wouldn't do to have anyone realize that the source of his power was a forbidden Grimoire.

For her part, Cassandra seemed intrigued by this, which was exactly the opposite reaction Vincent was hoping for. "Truly?" She asked, giving him a more thorough examination. "Yes, I suppose you do look the part. You must have recently come from your hermitage, correct?"

Vincent became suddenly more mindful of the drab, worn rags that he was wearing. "Yes, something like that." He said. Being trapped in a spiritual, temporal bubble could be called a type of hermitage. It was even self imposed. Kind of.

"Well, I do again thank you for your aid. Would that I had anything to reward you with, I would give it to you." Cassandra said. "For now, however, I must see to the remains of my comrades." She said, turning to the bodies of her bodyguards.

The aftermath of the battle was a grim sight. Corpses everywhere, dismembered or skewered by weapons. It was a reminder that no matter how noble or how wicked one was, death was the ultimately the great equalizer.

"Let me help. I know a ritual to work the ground in to forms that I desire." Vincent said. He had originally devised it so that he could build himself an underground base of operations once on the frontier, perhaps even sell his services to any militia who desired better fortifications against the dangers of the wild once he was more secure in his mystic power. At present, though he had no reason to hide it from her and it could easily be used to entomb the departed.

At this, Cassandra looked even more grateful than before. "I truly am in your debt." She said, standing aside and allowing him to work. "These men deserve a proper burial for what they have sacrificed."

Vincent began to slowly walk around the battleground, pausing every few paces to inscribe a mystic sign in to the ground along the perimeter. If he was completely honest, he would have simply created a sinkhole in the ground and let the earth swallow everything up. However, he felt that the disrespect shown to the bodies would likely lose him whatever good will he had earned from Cassandra.

After several minutes of work, Vincent stepped back to double check his work. There were three layers of mystic etchings in the ground now, each detailing a different step of earthenwork the spell would perform. Satisfied that everything seemed to be in order, Vincent gathered up his will and pushed it in to the markings, triggering the chain reaction that activated the spell.

The ground sprang to life as he did, churning and twisting like seawater caught in a storm. This separated each individual body from each other, and lined them up in to neat, orderly rows. Then, slowly each body began to sink beneath the ground. As the bodies of her guards were swallowed by the earth, Cassandra offered them a salute with her sword. Vincent was grateful that she didn't try to bespell them or anything, he had no idea how that would interfere with his own magics.

Finally, after the last body had vanished below ground, the earth hardened once more, leaving almost no trace that there had been anyone here in the first place.

A moment of silence passed after the work had been done, with Cassandra gazing silently at the ground in thought, and Vincent casting about for some excuse to break the silence and find out what exactly he had gotten himself in to.

After a time, he decided that he didn't really have a good excuse on hand, so he simply decided to come right out and ask...

Aside from what she's doing out here and why she was attacked, what do you most want to know?

>Input custom option.

What she was doing out in the frontier so far from civilization was my question, so I guess I'll just abstain and see what the others come up with.

Ask for general news of the frontier - if she thinks of us as a hermit who happened to show up right in time, that kind of question shouldn't be too surprising. We might also want to ask for the men's last names, just so we can make some kind of grave inscription to honor their deeds. Not that we care too much about that, but it's probably a good idea to act as if we'd care.

>Input custom commands

"If I'm not prying, what exactly is a child of the Emperor doing so far from the capital?" Vincent asked. This was easily his most pressing concern, right after making sure this didn't end up backfiring on him.

"Father is looking to expand the frontier, and claim more land for development for the Empire." Cassandra said. "I have volunteered to expedite the process, as well as protect Father's investments."

Vincent gave her a skeptical look. "A woman of royal blood heading to the frontier as an overseer and administer of new farmland? You'll have to forgive me if I remain unconvinced." He said.

Cassandra let out a small sigh. "Yes, it is a rather poor cover story, is it not?" She said. "While that is part of my responsibilities, there are other tasks that I have been entrusted with. None which I am at liberty to share. I do hope you understand." She said, looking guilty.

Vincent didn't feel the need to press the issue. Both because it wasn't something that concerned him and because he felt confidant that he could get her to tell him eventually.

"That's fair, royal business and all that." He said, causing Cassandra to look relieved. "I suppose things on the frontier are excitable at the moment? I've not heard news about it during my hermitage, so I'm not up to date with the local gossip." Vincent said.

"Indeed." Cassandra said, looking eager for a change of subject. "There have been reports of several locations rich in mineral deposits, and hope to set up supply lines and a mining base soon. Many people are already migrating in hopes of finding their fortune."

Vincent cursed under his breath. A rush of people to the frontier was exactly what he didn't want. It would be harder to stay unnoticed with more people around. Still better than in the city, but not as good as it could have been.

"Is that why you were attacked?" He asked, looking at the shifted earth were the bodies of her assailants were buried. "Someone wanted to make sure you didn't make it to the frontier, so they could try and claim the mineral wealth for themselves?"

"Among other reasons, yes. That is most likely." Cassandra said, still not giving him the full story.

"Right." Vincent said, feeling no better or worse about the situation. So it wasn't a power play by a rival noble or her kin, just plain old greed, and whatever else was hidden in the frontier. That in and of itself was cause for concern, as whatever was out here was of immense value if someone felt it required the oversight of one of the royal family, to say nothing of an attempt to assassinate them.

"If truth be told, I'm planning on heading to the frontier myself to further my studies. If you like, I could accompany you until then, as you seem to have... lost your escort."

At this, Cassandra grew sullen, and her gaze turned to where her bodyguards were buried. "Thank you." She said after a time. "I am very fortunate indeed that you happened to come along when you did." She said.

Vincent was about to tell her to think nothing of it, if only to pretend to have some humility and modesty, when Cassandra brought her hands to her lips and let out a loud whistle. As the sound faded, hoofbeats could be heard echoing through the air, and a horse appeared off in the distance, making it's way towards them.

Vincent started, and then turned his eyes towards the ground. He was sure that horse had died in the ambush skewered by the assassin's spears, yet here it was, healthy and whole, as if it had never been touched.

The steed was obviously magical of some kind, but different from his own. A spirit beast, perhaps? More Knightly magic he was unfamiliar with.

As the best trotted to Cassandra, she raised her hand touched the side of it's head, and it obediently came to a standstill, waiting for her at the ready. "We should get moving. She said, turning to him and walking around to the side of the spirit horse. "Climb on, if we ride double, we should be able to make it to the next way station by the morning." She said.

Vincent shook his head, and extended his arm to snapped his fingers at the air. Almost immediately, the horse which he had conjured previously appeared out of the air, returning to it's creator. "Thank you, but I have my own transportation." He said.

Together, the Knight and the Wizard sped off, riding towards the frontier and whatever new awaited the newly forged allies.

>End chapter 1

A new ally gained, intrigue afoot, and the open horizon in front of you. This seems like an excellent place to end the first chapter of The Path to Power. Chapter two will start with our hero arriving at the soon-to-be mining complex with Cassandra, and getting involved in affairs that he wished he could avoid.

With the end if the first chapter, I'd like to take the opportunity to get some feedback.

What are your overall thoughts on the quest so far? Is it heading in a direction you find enjoyable? Is there anything you would like to see more of? Less of?

How do you feel about Vincent? Do you feel he is representative of all the choices you've had him make? Is there a development you would like him to advance towards as a character, or avoid?

Any feedback is welcome, so don't hesitate to tell me what you think.

Whoo! Chapter complete!

I'm really enjoying this so far. Great writing, great story, and it really feels like our choices influence the plot. My only nitpick is when you use "it's" instead of "its".

As for Vincent, I'd think the obvious developing into a better person who actually cares about people would be good. Also, his full name should be Vincent Jacob Daniel or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back