The Palace

Ema put her hands into the pockets of her jacket and gave the woman a sideways smile, "Because I don't want to. I don't want to be in a corporation. It involves tedious shit and doing things for other people and having to be told what to do by others... I don't like any of that. You can call me childish or whatever but right now I'm living the way I am and it's working. I don't want to work for Ronin or Lazarus or MosTech or Militek or anyone. Nothing against them, but they do what they want to do, I do what I want to do," she looked away with a frown. "Definitely not Lazarus though..."

A door down the corridor opened before she could continue speaking to the pair. With a quiet and somehow calming breathy sound, it slid away, drawing her attention. A man stepped out, shirtsleeves and black tie, a man Ema recognised of course. But, again, he stopped her again before she could speak. This time though, not with the door, with his own voice.

"Not Lazarus?" he said, his tone not one of surprise or curiosity, but rather of an expectation that Ema would inform him. "With Lull there I thought that'd be the one you would go for, if any. You could spend your lunch breaks together."

Ema looked at him carefully. Did he know? She was paranoid he did... but how could he? He didn't much care for keeping tabs on those he wasn't conning or investigating. So he probably didn't, and now Ema was talking about her work her body language wasn't giving the truth away either. She decided not to answer him, but turned back to the two women. Ira could wait. Ira would wait. He was the one she was meeting with, after all.

"As I was saying..." she said. "Corps like them just don't strike my fancy. I mean, I can admire the work some of them do... MosTech's general area is the same as what interests me, but I have no inclination to join one. I work on my own projects and make my money in small doses. I'm about personal achievement, not... progress... Call me selfish if you like. I don't really have any issues admitting that. But there are ways into the corporations, of course. Provided you know someone."

All the while, Ira was standing to her side, just behind her. When he sensed Ema was done speaking, he stepped forward, offering an outstretched hand to Ema's companions.

"Ira Schopenhauer," he said, pseudo-warmth in his voice. "Competitive chess player. The next tournament's scheduled right here in Nevereign, so I thought I'd get someone I knew to settle me in alright," he gestured to Ema, before addressing her, "I didn't realise you had so many new connections, but," he smiled at the two again, the quiet ultraviolet light shimmering on the lenses of his glasses, "nice to meet you ladies nonetheless."

Dammit. Ira was impossible to read sometimes. Bloody smart too. Ema couldn't not notice how he'd dodged having to gender her. He didn't know what name she'd given, if any. So he wasn't going to reveal anything on Ema's behalf. But still, difficult to read. That was always something she was intrigued by - he could do whatever he wanted and she'd hardly notice. He could give her a stress ball and convince her it was an apple.

It was all she could to to stand right there as Ira introduced himself, trying not to stare too hard at anyone. In her pockets, her hands were tensed. Her mind was going back to thinking of Lull and Lois... and whether Ira knew.

@Mr_DC @HarleyQuip

As they approached what apparently was their room, a man stepping out from the interior Miky couldn't help but to cock an eyebrow as she watched the exchange between Fleur, the he or she, and the man. Bubblegum sounds emanated from her mask joyously as she smoked more of the delicious vapor in, and back out. Her hand made it's way to Fleur's. Bored and anxious Miky more or less just wanted to get out of there. It was clear she made the individual nervous so as they spoke Miky kept to herself rocking back and forth casually on the heels of her feet. Her attention was drawn to the man who was now speaking in their direction... something about chess.

[Did I miss something... or did he just start voluntarily spewing out information about personal hobbies?]

The thought almost made her break the silence, the one thing her Mask was good for was hiding an amused smile just beneath it. Though the way the guy was talking made Miky wonder if he was synthetic or real... the fluctuations in his words was a little odd even for a male... she subconsciously shrugged and continued to rock back and forth. @Mr_DC @0stinato

(there's no special reason the post is so short, just nothing I'd like to expand on)

@HarleyQuip @0stinato

"You play chess?" Fleur smiled, shaking the man's hand. He seemed friendly. Unlike most who would simply give you a scowl, the man - Ira - actually behaved like a good person. "I always loved playing it as a kid with my mom." She smiled, looking past Ira. She enjoyed thinking of the game like a real battle with horses and archerers and cannons. Of course, she was bad at chess. Simply awful but her mom let her win.

She even looked the other way when Mantis cheated and rearranged the figures to make the battle more interesting.

"I didn't know there was a chess tournament in town." She let go of the man's hand with a nod. She didn't really know much about what was going on around her for the last few years. It was mostly working day and night shifts while sleeping whenever she caught the time. She spent so much time in the morgue that her coffin was a little more than a storage facility for her clothes. And a home for her pet squirrel.
Where is that little one? Fleur's mind wandered to the subject of her pet. She certainly was independant and liked running around the city, getting its own food, but Fleur didn't like it being out and alone so much. After all, animal life in the cities was rare. Rare and worthless.

"Do you know him?" She looked at Miky. "You live on the same floor." She smiled at her partner. Maybe they could go on a dinner together. End up as good friends, the four of them. Friendships were rare in Nevereign. Just like her squirrel.

(Yeah, like that's a short post. It's the standard for me lately...)

Ema could only stand back as Ira conversed with the two, him learning more about them in a few seconds than she had after minutes of standing and talking quietly with them in an elevator. But that was something Ira was exceptional at. His mind was much quicker than Ema's his thought processes always spot on. He never assumed without evidence, and usually he'd assume correctly. He knew how to take something and twist it to reveal something else. That was why she was so suspicious that he already knew about Lull.

He treated her like a client rather than a sister, and she did the same to him. But his treatment of clients was so much more than hers was. The tabs he kept for his own safety, they were meticulously researched and connections - obvious or imagined - were made by Ira. It was the art of a conman at its finest. All in his documents about his clients. And he had a document for Ema too. So it wouldn't surprise her if he knew about Lull... but she wasn't sure if he did. He'd find out though. Now she'd mentioned how she didn't want to work for Lazarus out of all the corporations most of all. He would make his connections and figure it out. Or get her to tell him. She wasn't planning on keeping it a secret, after all. But now she was suspicious Ira knew... now she wanted to watch how he'd figure it out. See if she could steal his technique.

But Ira drew her attention with a smooth laugh, "I'm afraid I won't be here long, so I have not had the pleasure of meeting your friend yet. Though it is wonderful to see a friendly face. Hence why I decided to have someone settle me in," he gestured to Ema. "Just so I could sleep easier tonight knowing I'd had a good conversation. In fact, the tournament is a few days from now, perhaps we could become better acquainted."

"Shouldn't you practice?" Ema said. She knew Ira's deal. She'd been involved with some of his cons before. One of the most fragile things he could have was what he called a 'Disagreer'. Just someone to point out that Ira's words had flaws to them. It would put her on the same side as the targets, and against Ira. So that, when he would present his facts and arguments to the group and her, she could agree and switch sides. Just one person switching sides was a powerful thing. It meant the targets were more inclined to come to agree with Ira.

One of Ira's favourite films was 12 Angry Men for precisely that reason. Ema liked it too, though thought some of the arguments and acting could use some work, but Ira enjoyed it. Whenever something like this came up, whenever Ema had to be his Disagreer, 12 Angry Men always popped into her head sooner or later. As for why she'd decided to disagree with him now... well. She had lied about her name, made a tacit lie about her gender, and Ira was probably in higher favour with the two women than she at the moment. So why not exaggerate that a little more? Use what Ira expected of her, use what she knew. They weren't trying to con these two, not at all. Ema kind of wished she'd been more polite.

"Practice only makes me think about it," Ira said, "and thinking makes me stress. I'd much rather be a little happier and more relaxed than stressed. Besides, to practice incessantly now would only make it look as if I've not practiced enough. Why not enjoy the evening?"

"Good point," Ema said. Switching sides. "So... if we were to go out for the evening, shall we avoid the building you'll be playing?"

There was no chess tournament. So there would be no evidence of one. Make the lie believable but cover your bases. It was a tricky game.

"Might help you relax more... if you just want to have a few drinks and a good chat," Ema continued.

"It's a nice idea..." he turned his attention back to the women, "You live here?" he asked the intense-looking masked woman. "Know any good restaurants or bars? We may as well make a night of it. I'm sure any important business we all have could be procrastinated a slight bit. Besides," here he glanced at the other woman, the one who seemed to be a little more talkative, a little more... inquisitive. Ema noticed. Noticed something about that glance, "the business we have might be more important than any of us realise."

Ema licked her lower lip. A little tic of nervousness. Ira knew her.

@Mr_DC @HarleyQuip

Last edited by a moderator:
Miky bent over a bit sliding her hands to the bottom of her jacket and grabbing the edges watching the guy talk away about this and that things were moving a little too quickly for Miky to keep up which usually meant a magic trick was being done or something to that effect which she had no interest in but also wasn't about to tell the two to buzz off. She had no idea who the two people were and they probably felt the same way. So she listened and before long they were all talking about going out to grab something to drink. She cocked an eyebrow at the man...

"Yeah... you've probably heard of it, or maybe not... The Dancer. It's a pretty quiet place"

Because of the bar's notoriously bad area she was sure it would cause a bit of discomfort to the two of them which would put them on the upper hand. If anything happened her and Fleur could duck out and let the chaos of the place consume to two strangers. But if nothing happened... it was one of the chillest joints in Nevereign. Genuine booze, women, gambling, and drugs. Like reaaaaal rop quality stuff. She had no idea the intricate workings of a business but figured they had a deal with a local corp or something like that. The man asked a sensitive question... she wanted to answer but not give too much info.

"hm? yeah we do! My name's Miky... I don't think I caught either of yours? Sorry... I get lost in my headspace sometimes"

She gave Fleur a nervous look, not sure if she'd get the message to not tell them anything sensitive. She had given her name in hopes to distract from the topic of their residency.

@Mr_DC @0stinato

@HarleyQuip @0stinato

"I'd hate to keep you from practicing." Fleur watched the man. He needed rest, sure, but if it was something important, it was better to practice as much as possible. "We don't want to make you lose. I'd feel awful." She gave them a half-smile. "Maybe..." She hesitated for a moment. "Maybe we could come and watch you? If you don't mind, of course. I'm just curious how a real chess match looks like." She was about to say she hadn't watched television in months. No time for something like that. She wasn't in the position to pay for power and television anyway.

Fleur paused. The Dancer. It had to be The Dancer. They finally met what seemed like relatively normal people and Miky had to suggest The Dancer. She was there twice and hated it both times. People getting drunk and starting fights, shady deals in dark corners, and that prostitute using her table as a temporary bed with her client definitely gave that place a bad mark in Fleur's eyes. Besides, the man seemed like someone respectable. A chess player. Someone intelligent and worth having a nice chat which shouldn't be interrupted by fake moans of pleasure. Maybe she could turn it around.

"They probably want something quiet to start off." Fleur smiled at Miky, blinking once in confusion at the strange look she was getting. "Coffee?" She looked back at the pair. "Or tea? I don't drink coffee." She chuckled. They could have friends. Finally friends. She had a girlfriend - as unexpected as that was - and now there was a chance to have two friends. One a great chess player and the other a mechanic of sorts. Tinkerer. Something along those lines.

And there were the two of them. Miky, a cam-girl. Model. And Fleur, a hopeful surgeon in the local morgue. A curious group. A group of friends.

(Another mesmerizing gif, Harley :smile9: caught myself staring at it while my mind contemplated the post)

Miky. Either simple or she and Ira had just got lucky, Ema now had the opportunity to re-introduce herself and let Ira know she was going by her alias. Thank you for your head-in-the-fluffy-pink-bubblegum-clouds absent-mindedness, Miky, she'd practically let Ema save face. Instead of Ira having to guess, having to have the 50-50 chance of revealing Ema's lie and creating tension between them...

Ira having to guess. No, he'd not guess. Or, while his ultimate point would be to guess if Ema was going by her real name or male alias, he'd gauge Ema's relationship with the two women... anyway, it wasn't worth thinking about particularly. Miky had given her the opportunity and Ema quickly took it.

"Oh uh... I'm Lars. This is my older brother, Ira," she tried a smile, "I'm sure we all have moments like that... moments of just completely zoning out. It's no trouble. And I do know the Dancer. I... well, it's rather infamous really. I'm not the social type so I've never frequented anywhere. But I've heard stories about the Dancer. Didn't someone discover a body in one of the bins round the back?"

Its stigma was not unheard of. And Ira lived in Nevereign, of course he'd heard of the Dancer, Ema just kept forgetting. She was so deep into their lie that she was believing it herself, which was nothing less that frightening. Wasn't it a trait of psychopaths to do that? Ema wasn't sure. But she had to keep the facts in mind. She wished they weren't lying to them. But to reveal it now would be awful. Ema just lost two friends. And two people were willing - or sort of willing - to spend an evening with her and Ira. God. Everything went tits up all the time somehow. And the worst part was, Ema was pretending like she didn't have said tits. She'd have to use the gents' room if she had to break during the evening. Not an issue - she prided herself on her ability to pass as male - but... just digging herself further into the lie.

"If the Dancer will be quiet tonight, why not go there? And you're quite welcome to watch the tournament if you'd like, only I must warn you it's not hyperactive fun like football or such. But, get yourself a ticket and come along. Last I was informed they were going for $45. They like to milk the money out of the intellectuals. But at least you'd only be watching. You end up paying probably near $800 just to play through to this point. Travel isn't paid for," Ira gave a sigh and ruffled his hair. "Hence why I'd rather forget about the whole damn business..."

"Uh, Miky?" Ema said. She was pausing a lot. Somehow feeling slightly vulnerable with every passing word. "You seem to know the place best but... is the Dancer the right place to go? If you think it is, I'm happy to come along. I've got a little way to defend myself if things go wrong but... I'd rather Ira wasn't killed before he has his tournament. Maybe we should just go out for coffee. Probably decaf though huh?" she laughed a little. Tried to keep her voice as low as it was when she spoke. "Seeing as it's not exactly the morning anymore."

"I suppose we'll do whatever you and Fleur want," Ira said with a shrug. "Just... not too good a time. Hangovers aren't kind to brainwork."

@HarleyQuip @Mr_DC

@Mr_DC @0stinatoMiky wasn't really used to having friends or even acquaintances. So this whole situation felt a bit alien to her but the dancer was the coolest place she knew of. She enjoyed the atmosphere; bright lights, loud music, people enjoying themselves... maybe a bit too much...

She shifted her body standing up straight before sliding her hands back into her pockets.

"mmm... I don't know guys... I guess we can go get coffee"

She said this with a large amount of emphasis and sarcasm

"orrrr we can be someone... and go have a little fun"

She looked at Fleur who seemed a bit preoccupied by another thought then back at Ira and Lars

"I gotta drop some of my gear off at my place first, and no worries about protection. If any of you know how to use a pistol I usually keep one on me for when I go out."

She smiled obliviously and began bouncing up and down a bit, an imaginary tune starting in her head.

"♫ let's roll this joint... go to the bar and take some shots. of. whiskey. and just. get free... let's go to the club... and take these capsules to space I don't wanna feel my face ♫"

"Oh, that's no issue," Ira said smoothly to Miky. "We can go whenever you're ready. Take your time. I have an issue with which to speak to Fleur about... a rather private matter. Nothing groundbreaking you understand, only there is a personal issue that has a rather tight stranglehold on her life. I wish to make an attempt, as a friend, to ease that grip. Care about her. Let us do this. It won't take a moment and I'd rather it was done in private. I'm sure you understand, Miky. It sounds a little sketchy, but no harm will befall your companion. Be as quick as you like."

"What are you doing Ira," Ema thought. All she could do was watch him as he spoke. His agenda was hidden from her, his ideas and ideals. All kept privately within that extraordinary brain of his. Had Fleur even introduced herself? Ema didn't recall her ever stating her own name, yet here Ira was... making it almost too obvious. The way he spoke to Miky... like a counsellor-turned-businessman. A fresh hint of friendship and concern overpowered his intentions, whatever they were. But Ema knew Ira. He's invented most of the lies she was privy to at this moment. The chess tournament, his short stay, his ignorance of Nevereign.

What was he lying about now? Which of his words were trustworthy? Which were to be taken with several pinches of salt?

"Lars, if you wouldn't mind, grab my jacket from the room?" he asked her. "I'd like it in case it gets a little colder after we're done in the Dancer. It sounds delightful, Miky."

"Oh, right. I'll... fetch it."

She left Ira's side, somewhat confused and headed towards the room, leaving him to talk with the woman he'd called Fleur. If Miky went to put her belongings away in her own room - apparently she owned one here? - God knew what Ira would say. It did sound like he had business with her, which meant he... was on a job. Personal or professional, Ira was now on a job. She swiped the keycard she'd been given to access their one-night-rented room and stepped inside, letting her face cover her hands as she did so. What was Ira up to? What was he doing? Why did he send her away like that?

Any business he had he knew he could speak in front of Ema. A slightly more creative person, Ira valued Ema's left-brained input when he himself couldn't see a way out of a situation he'd put himself in. She'd be the one to twist the situation and tell him what she saw from that perspective. So he didn't send her away to be private.

"Shit, Ira, you bastard," she muttered when she took her hands away. Yes, this room held no jacket. Of course it didn't. "You fucking bastard..."

She slid the keycard through again, opening the door a tiny fraction so she could see out. A sliver of a peekhole. Where... what... when...?

@HarleyQuip @Mr_DC

(gonna post before DC so there's no hold up longer than necessary)

@Mr_DC @0stinato

Miky didn't like that one... not at all. She folded her arms and stared suspiciously at Ira as he sent his associate away and asked to talk with Fleur in private. She was having a bit of deja vu from when the government official came through and almost started a fight with one of the tenants named deckard... and even caught Fleur in the middle of his confrontation with the scottish guy.

"Mmm... You'll have to excuse my rudeness but... that's not exactly something I'd leave in the hands of a stranger. I don't mean to be rude, but there was someone who came through here recently and caused quite a bit of trouble. He also had matters to discuss with Fleur..."

She glanced at Fleur with a worried expression

"I'm going to wait here and you can discuss with Fleur whatever it is on your mind. I just don't feel comfortable leaving her again."

She switched the position of her legs causing her to fall into the wall back first where she pressed and held one foot against it while staring at Ira, bubble gum scented smoke had filled the tiny hall and almost made it look a bit foggy. Even if Fleur pleaded with Miky she probably wouldn't budge. She was as stubborn as an ox and once she made her mind up about something... rarely could it be changed.

@0stinato @HarleyQuip

Fleur watched the man with a mixture of confusion and worry on her face. Stranglehold on my life. Fleur's lower lip twitched as she processed the words. There was one thing suffocating her. A massive weight on her chest whenever money came up. One thing which made her cry through night after night. The only reason she took every shift she had to at the morgue and why she was thinking of taking a part-time job at the Dancer doing... Whatever.

How do you know? Fleur blinked, pressing her lips together, making them go pale, like her skin. Are you... Going to help?

Fleur opened her mouth to say something but Miky beat her to it. Of course she wouldn't leave. The situation turned awfully suspicious. A man they just met claimed he knew something about Fleur when he was mostly pretending they didn't know each other. He could have simply waited for Miky to go and drop her weapons of. They would be alone. Was it a slip-up? Or was he just thinking that much ahead?

Or was he really going to help?

"Miky." Fleur gently touched Miky's forearm and looked at her. A weak but determined smile. "Don't worry." She nodded. "We're just going to talk. I'll tell you all about it later. He wants to help." She closed her eyes for a moment and looked at the man. She tried to see through him but her eyebrows arched upwards and she could see nothing. Nothing except... Fear. She was afraid again. A fearful little kitten. Nothing will happen. She thought, trying to calm herself. Whatever it is that he had to say, she would have to listen, regardless of Miky's protests. The least she could do was hope that he didn't have malicious intentions in mind.

Ira was remaining an enigma. The purple eyes behind his glasses were clear but somehow opaque. It was oft said that 'eyes are windows to the soul' but Ira's, despite how open and bright they were, suggested nothing of the sort lay behind them. He blinked slowly, adjusting his glasses as he looked between Miky and Fleur. Their height differences weren't massive, but somehow they almost perfectly described their social standing within this room. Ira, the tallest, the one with the assets. Then Miky, with the firearm, and Fleur.

He watched as Miky rocked back and forth on her feet, suspecting that even Fleur's words wouldn't be enough to shift her. Which was a slight setback, but it wouldn't harm his idea too much. After all, if their body language suggested anything it suggested that they were lovers. Miky would surely know Fleur's quaint little predicament. And Fleur, all delicate beauty under her hair, eyes shining with potential tears.

Before he spoke another word, he began noting a few things, things on a different level than human conscience. His mind worked quickly, his decoder crowbarring its way into the Palace's systems once again. Three cameras closest to them in this corridor, plus another down the hall that would catch anything any of them did. All the doors, the lift. Okay. Okay. It would have taken him a good five to ten minutes to get into the system if this was his first time exploring it, but he'd spent a good few hours in here waiting for Ema to show. He liked to be early to things, it let him have the upper hand. Or it made him feel as though he did, which was good enough.

Of course Ira had been in the system before. He liked to know the data of things, just as a hobby. Deframing a firewall here or there, it was all practice and he got enough of a kick out of it to just do it for fun. And he was glad he had - it'd given this little meeting a little more purpose than it'd previously been intended for. Miky, as she had implied, did indeed live here at the Palace. Michael Reyless, her name was, her full name. Not good quality 'housing' but apparently Reyless wasn't really that bothered. And, fortunately, her little lover-affairer was here too. Fleur de Lorraine, again, in pretty cheap, permanent residence here.

And why was she in the cheapest? Because she was being held to the ground by debt, debt that was about 10,000 off what Ira had made last year. He could only imagine what Fleur had done to accumulate that. And now she was trying to scrape herself back together. Ira had read all that with his eyes closed, arms folded, as his laptop heated up with the strain of following what his mind was doing. And meeting them in a corridor - meeting them both - was an opportunity Ira wasn't going to pass up, even if Miky wasn't about to leave.

"Miss de Lorraine, if I may be so blunt," Ira said, returning to his humanness again. "And I don't want you to think I can't speak about this in front of your companion, if she wishes to stay so be it - you've got yourself a rather hefty debt, have you not? Fifty or sixty thousand, if I'm not mistaken. A debt that you are too proud to let someone else handle, even though it's not yours. Or perhaps that it's not yours is why you're so protective of it? Either way, you won't accept help in the form of money. So I'd like to offer you help in the form of... an opportunity."

-•-•-•-•-

Ema realised what Ira had wanted her to do, yet his little scheme wasn't paying off. He'd sent her off to 'collect his jacket' so he'd said, but what he really wanted Ema to do was keep Miky busy when she left. Only Ira had underestimated the blue-haired woman; Miky wasn't budging.

Ema smiled at that - she sort of liked Miky. As stubborn as she was, Miky was there distracting herself with herself. Moving around, inhaling something to satisfy herself while her friend was looking intimidated. Or, at least, Ema thought that was a look of passive submissiveness. She couldn't be sure. The crack in the door wasn't giving her a lot to work with. So, with a quiet sigh, she moved away from it, but her mind didn't move away from what Ira was doing. He was speaking to the women, she was sure but... his voice had a way of being silent to those who didn't need to hear it.

He'd tell her eventually. That wasn't the issue. Ira wouldn't be keeping things from her.

On the table that slid smoothly out from the wall in an upended L shape, was Ira's laptop, all slim preciseness. Its matte surface was pleasant to Ema's fingers as she opened it, entered his password - 0071 - and had a peek. All out of curiosity. Or, mostly. She just had to kill a bit of time while Ira talked. And she wanted to know--

Despite Ira always closing everything on his computer before he shut it off or hibernated it, it liked to work against him. As such, every time he got a new e-mail - professional or personal - an icon flashed orange and yellow until it was clicked on. Ema saw that now. An orange-yellow blinking icon with the number 3 written in pixels inside. Ira would know if she opened them but he usually shared the things with her anyway. Thinking it was a problem for Future Ema to sort out, Ema opened the programme and skimmed through two of the three mails, all in his professinal inbox. One was completely encrypted and she decided to leave it alone. The other was a thank-you with promise of payment - Ema recognised the name of the fellow so she knew Ira wouldn't mind her seeing that.

But the third was a little bit different. It was from the Nevereign Morgue Associates. Who dealt with the death of someone through paperwork, not through burial. The mail was addressed to Ira in his professional e-mail address, and it concerned a Last Will and Testament. It asked if Ira was available and to come to the offices of the Associates when he could to arrange a hearing of the Will. It asked if Ira could come. To hear the Will. To hear Lull's Will.

@Mr_DC @HarleyQuip

(I promise I didn't mean for this Will storyline to happen - it just did. But I'll find a way to include you two. Don't just want to be arguing with myself.)

@Mr_DC @0stinato She watched Fleur's eyes twist and turn with the onset of emotions as she feebly attempted to shoo her away, which only added to Miky's resilience she wrapped her fingers into Fleur's with the opposite hand allowing Fleur to turn and make eye contact with Ira if she needed too; the gesture was not just of compassion but also protectiveness. Telling their new acquaintance that if anything happened he'd have to deal with them both. Her skin crawled a bit when Ira said Fleur's full name as if someone had just taken sandpaper to expose a healing wound, which only worsened when the stranger began talking about Fleur's debt. Miky didn't care if it was impolite of her to eavesdrop on the conversation after all... who did the stranger think he was? Intruding on Fleur's life like this... they had never met, at least as far as Miky could piece together from Fleur's body language. How did this guy know so much about Fleur's past and debt?

Miky would've remained silent and let the conversation dwindle to her ears replaced by imaginary beats but she was a bit too serious for that right now and this guy sort of got under her skin with the way he brazenly announced what problems her partner was having. She used her other hand to pull the hood of the jacket back exposing the rifle's barrel once again, before placing a couple fingers on the bridge of the mask's nose and pulling it down exposing her baren pale flesh a small whisp of smoke slithering out from between her pursed lips. Her ruined and runny mascara giving her an almost manic or threatening vibe once again. Her eyes exactly portraying what her intentions were like a cat getting ready to pounce, bright blue but too bold to comfort. The words that came from her mouth were soft and unthreatening though; contrasting with her attitude in a clash.

"So... how exactly do you know all of this? And what gives you the right? We were under the impression that you were a new resident but... have you come here specifically for Fleur?"

Question after question pouring from her lips in the most earnest kind of way. What was this guy up too?

(Not sure if you wanted me to wait or not DC but replied anyway :P)

@HarleyQuip

@0stinato

Fleur bowed her head and sighed. He knew. He knew a lot. Her name, her debt. So, he wasn't there just for a chess tournament. Probably wasn't there to be just her friend either. No coffee with a like-minded pair. No feeling of being surrounded by people you can trust. By people who can comfort you. Just someone else who wanted something out of her. But she wasn't going to let him just take advantage of her.

He might have offered help in exchange for something from her but she wasn't just going to bite. She was going to bite the hook and put up a fight.

"Yes." Fleur looked up, a determined fire in her eyes. It wasn't strong but it was a fire. The strongest she could muster. "Yes, I have a debt. A big debt. But..." She took a step towards him. He didn't look scary. It was what was inside his head that frightened her. And he wasn't speaking so she felt brave. Brave enough to close the distance between them. "How do you know about that? And what kind of an opportunity are you talking about?"

She planted her hands on her hips, staring at him. If Miky wasn't there, she might even back down but there was something about her presence which made Fleur feel safe. It gave her the courage to step up to him.

But Miky was an anomaly in Nevereign. Sure, she looked like she would fit into the city perfectly. At least on the surface. Maybe even a bit deeper. She cared about Fleur, though. She was protective. Loving. Even though they were together for a couple days. Friends for much longer but lovers for barely more than a day. The sick way Nevereign operated and the man in front of her made Fleur doubt. It made her heart heavy and air in her lungs thick. What if Miky was just using her too?

No. Miky wouldn't do that. And even if that was the case, Fleur was fine with living a warm lie like that. If it will hurt, it might as well hurt later. She lived in the present and the present was bad enough without doubting her new partner. There was no room for doubt. No need for doubt.

(Sure, post. I have no problem with it)

Ira saw the interlocked fingers. His eyes darted to them and back up at Fleur's face as she - there was no getting away from it - advanced on him. She, like her partner, was asking a lot of questions that Ira didn't see the need to answer. Besides, they were both asking roughly the same questions. However, he wasn't unaware of the situation he'd put himself in. He stepped away as Fleur got nearer, removing his glasses to polish the lenses. From his shirt pocket he withdrew a delicate square of cloth and quietly rubbed away the faint traces of dust while the two looked at him.

After a few seconds, he settled them comfortably on the bridge of his nose before giving a smile, "I don't blame you for your defensive attitude, not at all. It's only natural. A supposed complete stranger knowing quite a lot about you or your significant other. But I can only see it as a shame. After all, I was understanding we were going out for the night as new friends. I can only apologise - the timing was wrong on my part. I should have saved you the stress and asked later when you'd know I only wanted the best for you.

"There's nothing malicious here, I promise you. I've recently lost someone. It sort of made me realise a few things - life is short, life is fragile. But I have to admit his death is rather helpful to me as a person. He was the malicious sort, always getting a kick out of screwing people over. Only now do I realise how dark my own life vision was becoming. Since coming here, having my brother settle me in before the tournament, I've realised I need to see the world in a more pleasant light. As for how I know about your debt? Again, it's nothing malicious. Opponents chat in a chess tournament. I'd not say I was particularly competitive, so I'll talk with a few people if the moment arises. Even if I'm about to tête-a-tête with them, as it were," he smiled. "Perhaps sensitive information yes, but as far as my opponent knew, I wasn't to be here long. Only coincidence I meet the person I spoke about."

Ira still kept his guard up. Miky seemed to be more threatening now, what with the rifle barrel on show as well as a more serious look across her face. Though she hadn't acted yet. Perhaps waiting for Fleur to finish her part, perhaps waiting for Ira to give an explanation. That would be the decider on whether she pulled it on him, possibly. Ira stood a little straighter, putting his hands in his pockets. From one he drew his lighter - a blue-flamed plasma lighter - and flipped the thing between his fingers. The other hand he kept in his pocket, fingers around the cylindrical device inside.

"Funny things, cravings," he mused. "If we're still up to go to where Miky suggested, I'll have a smoke on the way. If we're not, I'll head out now. It's purely your call."

@Mr_DC @HarleyQuip

@0stinato @Mr_DC

Miky's face contorted with confusion and a bit of irritation. Her patience running thin with this guy who knew way too much about the two of them and clearly wasn't willing to give any answers. She heard a lot of talking about this or that but didn't hear anything that sounded like an answer. She turned her body towards Ira and stepped forward next to Fleur.

"I... don't think you answered either of our questions... how do you know about the things you do? And why bring them up? You said you had an opportunity but didn't really explain. I realize I wasn't meant to be here for this but I'm kinda glad I stayed... the information you have is dangerous in a place like Nevereign and isn't something to just be thrown around so casually... so who are you and what do you want with us?"

She'd stay near Fleur and not budge until she got answers not just for her... but for Fleur as well. She deserved to know who was poking around in her life and for what reason.

"We can go get a drink after you've assured us with answers... and not empty promises..."

She slid her hands into her pockets again fiddling with the loose threading inside. Miky wasn't particularly combat efficient but knew enough to protect herself from a knife or punch. If this turned violent she'd protect Fleur with her own body if necessary. Afterall her body was molded and designed through abuse unknown to herself.

"You want specifics?" Ira flipped the lighter in his palm again, shaking his head. He, like them, was becoming exasperated. Every technique he tried they weren't biting. Highly irritating. It just confirmed to him the real reason he was less likely to succeed in this endeavour - he'd chosen the wrong time to bring it up. It should have been later. It should have been after or during alcohol, when the talk could move smoothly and Ira could reveal the opportunity without it looking too suspicious.

"Fine, fine. Miss de Lorraine, you work at the Morgue here in Nevereign, if I'm not mistaken. Last tournament, one which I happened to survive in, hence why I'm here playing at the next level very soon, my opponent wished me luck in Nevereign and, because he's from here, we got talking about it. I asked what to expect, he said there wasn't much and he wasn't that sure, seeing as he worked in the Morgue. And, since cadavers don't really have interesting conversation, we began to gossip a little. He told me about a collegue of his who's, verbatim, 'always running around trying to get out of her debt.' And that person is you. I never thought I'd give you a second thought until now but here we are. As such--" he was cut off by the door to his and Ema's rented room sliding open. It was quiet, almost inaudible, but the action of it let off a signal in his brain.

He turned his head to see her and she didn't look happy anymore.

"Got my jacket?" he said with a smile.

A smile she didn't return, "Lull's Will. On your computer. Why."

Ira blinked at his sister. "Already? The solicitors said they'd have it to me by the end of the week but I suppose--"

She sighed, "Ira, I'm sick of your shit, alright, I'm sick of you leaving me in the dark. Maybe I'd tolerate it but right now that isn't happening. Anyone else, if it was Lois, I'd be fine. But Lull? To be honest, I'm shocked Lull even made a Will, but that you get it and not me? That meant he wanted you to get it, not me. And I think I fucking know why - you made him make a Will, and you made him give you the power of attorney, didn't you?" she paused, but not long enough for Ira to get a word out. Instead, she walked past him, snatching his lighter out of his hand, making her way to the elevator. Once there, she turned to Miky and Fleur.

"Forget him. Don't listen to him, he'll only depress you. If you still want to know anything about this opportunity he's got, do it when we get back. Otherwise, I really - goddamn really - need a drink. Show me the goddamn way to the Dancer and I'll get the first rounds alright?" she said. Her voice sounded like she felt betrayed. And the way she was gripping his lighter suggested that too. She turned her eyes on him again, "You're not invited anymore. I want answers about this, but not now. I need some fucking vodka."

She stepped the elevator as it opened, a hand at her forehead, sighing deeply, waiting for her acquaintances to follow. Ira'd been kicked out, and she'd confiscated his lighter. All because Ema had a tenancy to do this; every time something confused her or made her feel second-rate, she'd flip out. Ira only looked away from the women and shook his head. Fine. Fine.

@Mr_DC @HarleyQuip

(Don't want to be just arguing with myself, I said before.)

@HarleyQuip
@0stinato

Fleur took a step back. She was thinking too much again. It was just coincidence again. Sure, it was a bit suspicious but it was easily explainable. And Miky reacted the same way. It was normal to be paranoid in Nevereign. If someone wasn't out to kill you, they were out to scam you. But this guy wasn't from Nevereign. He was a chess player from somewhere else who had no ill intentions. 
Maybe he actually just wanted to help. And they definitely weren't making it easy for him. "I..." Fleur nodded, bowing her head. "I see your point. Sorry about my reaction. It's just kind of weird. Sorry." She shrugged and gave a reassuring nod to Miky.

Then the other one came back. The other one didn't look quite relaxed anymore. She looked... Pissed. Then she said something about a Will. Someone they both knew. A friend? A family member? A will the man got. A will from someone called 'Lull'. Why did she think she should have the will? Was she something to the man who died? Was that the reason she looked somewhat distant in the elevator?
And now she was raising her tone at him. They were having a fight.
Fleur looked away. Miky and Fleur were in an awkward situation. To think, she hoped they could be friends. Maybe they still could. Provide some comfort about whatever happened.  Just try to be friends.

(Short post, I know. At least it isn't just one paragraph, right?)

The two women weren't sure what to do. Somehow, they were flinging all across the scale that Ira saw his potentials on - they had gone from one extreme, being defensive and angry, to the other. They were now looking vulnerable and confused. And why shouldn't they? Ema had just emerged from his room just as he was making headway with the two. She hadn't been useful to him at all here, and, though he could understand her reasons, lacked sympathy towards them. What use was an explanation of her rage if his would only rise as she spoke it?

He gave a sigh, adjusting his glasses slightly. Fleur wasn't looking at either of them, she was busy sidling back to Miky. So. Now there were three sides, not two. He caught a glimpse of her as a lock of her hair fell over her forehead. She really was quite beautiful, and he liked it. Miky would be much more Ema's type, all eccentric and odd. But he wasn't here to try and seduce one of them, was he? Besides, Miky with the rifle might object if he tried anything.

He decided to try and save face as best he could, raising a hand. He waved it vaguely in the direction of the elevator, "You, go if you like. Enjoy your evening. I think I'd rather take your advice, Fleur, and stay behind. Practice. Not so in the mood for a drink anymore. I'd rather not... incur more ire."

With that, and with an exasperated ruffle of his hair, he stalked back to his room, letting the door close behind him. He leaned on it, head back, and sighed again. If there was one thing connecting Ema to him as a sister, it would be his incredible ability to sulk, for she had that too. Anything went wrong, anything annoyed him to this extent, he could sulk as if it was a competition.

And Ema was wrong. He had every right to get his hands on Lull's Will... a Will he had convinced Lull to pen. It was one visit, one single visit, to Ema. And he and Lull had smoked outside together, quietly enjoying nicotine in the cold. And it wasn't difficult to get a nihilist onto the subject of Death... so Ira had suggested that, as an outside party, one Ema would be able to agree to, it might be good to give Ira power of attorney should he die. With his charisma, as well as talking himself up to be a better confidant than Ema would be, Lull had agreed and fully delivered. And Ira had his Will. As promised. As stated.

It was nothing malicious. Ira genuinely saw himself as a better person to handle his sister's ex-servant's affairs. Ema would be too emotional. And Ira would be able to divide up his belongings and assets in accordance with what would be efficient and useful. Emotions weren't good for that, and neither was Ema's propensity to say, "I'll keep that, it might be useful."

As for Fleur and Miky, Ira wasn't thinking particularly about them. He'd leave them to their own devices, he'd leave them to Ema. After all, they'd come up to the floor together. They were probably best damn friends by now.

-•-•-•-•-

"I apologise for... I suppose... most of that," Ema said from the elevator to the two women. They'd done nothing to deserve Ema yelling at them for no reason, so she tried to keep her voice steady. "I suppose I'm just a bit anxious about Ira's comp--"

She stopped herself. No, no, she'd lied already. Too much. Called herself Lars - that was something she'd not be able to back on, or she'd have to say it was a nickname of sorts later - and had run with that name so far. But that was as far as she was going. She wasn't so good a liar as Ira, she didn't do it for a job. But from here on out she told herself she'd be as honest as possible. Something about the two was making her soften to them a lot more than she might have done. Was it her losses in friends? Or was it something else?

Part of her knew, just knew, that Miky was one of those odd reasons. Very similar to how Lois looked. The blue, the mask... although Miky clearly didn't need it to breathe. It was the source of the candyfloss-sweet smell that lurked around in the air near the ceiling. But even so, Ema didn't want to lie to Miky. Because it felt like she was somehow desecrating Lois doing so. And also it was a horrible thing to do to a potential friend.

As for Fleur well... she was being Ira's prey. And Ema wasn't too fond of that at the moment... so the lies were going to stop. Yes, she was going to be nice to Miky and Fleur, be as genuine as she could. Use some of that hard-cashed credit she had, spend the night laughing.

"No, sorry. I'm just... death does this to someone, you know?" she said, trying a smile. "How about I get the first three rounds then? To make up for this whole shitshow?"

@HarleyQuip @Mr_DC

(I'll be a good player and follow the posting order from here on, I promise... I suppose I get over-keen sometimes!)

@Mr_DC @0stinato

Miky watched as the chaos unfolded between Lars and Ira. She sighed and pushed the mask back up onto her face, and pulling the hood back over her head hiding the rifle's barrel once again. She stuffed one hand into the pocket of her jacket and used the other still entwined in Fleur's to make their way back to the elevator with Lars as she mentioned going out for a drink still even after all of this. She'd follow Lars to the Dancer from this point but stopped just short of the elevator turning towards Ira.

"Ira, we just met... you're new to this part of town... people are always on edge, I'm sorry if I overreacted. I think it'll do us all some good to just separate in the most efficient way possible. I assume you do most of your best thinking privately. Let's pick up on this subject another time, shall we?"

After that she turned to the elevator to meet up with Lars.

(short post so we can get things moving in the right direction. I'm excited to post in the dancer finally)

@HarleyQuip @0stinato

"Miky." Fleur gently took her partner's hand before she left. She felt guilty. Guilty for adding to the tension of the situation. A man offered his help while he himself was going through a rough time. Apparently, their friend died. She wanted to do something. It was in her nature. It was why she decided to study medicine. She wanted to help. Even when she was the one who so desperately needed help.

"Hey, uh..." She looked away for a moment. The Dancer. Such an awful place for Fleur. A place where she wouldn't fit in. Sure, a lot of others enjoyed it and it probably was a nice place for the right kind of people but Fleur wasn't one of them. And opposites attracted, it seems, as her partner was a fan of the place. "How about we make things right?" She smiled back at Miky. "You try to help Lars and I'll help Ira. Just to get their mind off things. You don't mind splitting up, right? I kind of don't want to go to The Dancer..." She shrugged. "And I really want you to have fun. What do you say?"

She smiled, holding her hands on Miky's shoulders. She knew Miky would be bored out of her mind with just the two of them. And Miky probably understood The Dancer was no place for Fleur. Lars, however, would enjoy The Dancer and Ira would enjoy an evening of quiet conversation with Fleur. An evening apart to make new friends. To help new friends.

Despite Miky's obvious reluctance to leave Fleur with Ira, she joined Ema in the lift alone. In that strangely confident way she had, walking through life as if it were a treadmill. Ema watched her closely as the lift doors closed and the decision was made. They were to go to the Dancer. Just the two of them.

Now, Ema knew the infamies of the Dancer and its patrons; they were the slot-machines of humanity. Depending on no factor but luck, you might be able to get a stranger to buy a round for you. Sometimes they'd agree, sometimes they'd brush you off like you were a fly on their shoulder. Being flirtatious was practically useless as every eye was drawn by the lip-biting, makeup-smothered prossies strutting around. They'd get the free drinks, with their mile-long cleavage and inner-thigh tattoos. If any patron left with a woman on his arm, 90% of the time they'd paid for her.

Ema'd promised she'd buy drinks and, despite knowing she had the capacity to do so, she also knew she had to be careful with her money. Ira wasn't giving her as much as he used to, and part of what he was giving her now was an investment into her project. She couldn't use that. As she pressed the button to pull the lift down to the lobby floor, she tilted her head and decided she'd just have to use her credit rather than her debit card. If she went into the owing side, so be it. She'd just have to work that as it came. And besides, right now she needed something to cling on to.

That thing would have to be Miky. Ira wasn't exactly one she could ever go to if she needed to talk... now she was thinking about it, she realised her relationship was him was much more business-oriented than anything else. Their interpersonal speaking was never a half-hour chat about how things were going, if she liked living in the warehouse, her new fourth-favourite animal... no, the words that came up the most were things like 'transactions' or 'investment'. God. If only he had come to Nevereign for a chess tournement and she was settling him in... that would be much more suggesting of a friendship between siblings. But no. He wanted to talk business. Nothing else.

Ema looked more directly at Miky but found it hard to read her. She was so paranoid Miky was looking at her with contempt, perhaps because of her self-esteem being a wreck or perhaps because Fleur was nowhere now. Well. She was up on Ira's floor.

-•-•-•-•-

As much as he didn't think this would happen, it was. And that meant Ira had to change his plan. As soon as he heard the timid knock at the door, Ira had frowned before, with his handy-dandy decoder, slid it open from the comfort of his chair. Upon seeing Fleur in the doorway, he laid his laptop down, smoothly locking and closing it. Shutting all the applications. Killing the transaction he was in the middle of before it went through.

If he needed to, he'd carry on later. If he didn't, he'd leave it. Either way, he saw in Fleur's eyes a desire. A desire to sort shit out.

Ira stood, smoothing his shirt, trying a smile, "Well. I thought you were going to the Dancer? No?" No. She was alone, no one lurking in the corridor. "Well, come on in. We can discuss... whatever is necessary to discuss. I'm not really one to chat so I'm happy to get down to the meat of it now."

The ultraviolet outside the door shone on her hair, making its colour some unidentifiable purple-brown. Her lips were moist. And her eyes, despite the outer layer of readiness, held something delicate behind them. Ira almost wanted to... touch them. Run his thumbprint across her eyeball, see if he could feel the velvet behind it. See if her tongue felt the same.

He had not expected this of her at all. Though maybe he should have - she was looking for jobs every day, trying her best to survive in two at the moment and sleeping in a thin fourth-rate bed, unable to lead one life well. And trying to solve her problem herself. Not accepting the help her new partner was attempting to give her. So, of course she'd come to his door. She couldn't afford - a rather apt phrase - to turn down an opportunity.

@HarleyQuip @Mr_DC

(Told you I'd try. Harley - we can swap to the Dancer if you'd like now? If you'd rather have Miky react to Ema while they're in the lift, we can do that. If you'd rather see what the Dancer has to offer, I'm happy with that too.)

@0stinato

Fleur walked deeper into the room, looking around. She wasn't sure if she could ever get used to living in an actual apartment. In a place where she could stretch her arms. It felt almost like some public place where she wasn't meant to feel at home. Keep your jacket and shoes on. Don't touch anything, it's all public property. Or rather, it was all his property.

"No. It's not really my kind of a club." Fleur scratched the back of her head, turning back to face him.

Something was off about him. The look in his eyes. It unnerved her. It wasn't... Right.

Perhaps he was just hurting over his friend's death and his sister leaving. Perhaps he actually wanted to help Fleur. "I understand." She nodded. While she wanted to ease into the conversation, Ira skipped over it. Just threw it on the top of the list. No chit-chat. No small talk. Down to business. It reminded her of Miky. Not in a good way, though. While it was charming on her partner it was cold from him.

"Right..." She cleared her throat and threw on her best 'serious' expression. Maybe he wanted to help but she would have to be careful about it. She was desperate but wasn't an idiot. "What kind of an opportunity did you say you have for me?" Let him answer questions first. That was a good plan. "What will I have to do? Is it dangerous?" She paused, swallowed, and continued. "What do I get out of it? And what do you get out of it?" She assumed he wasn't doing it out of the kindness of his heart. After all, this was Nevereign. This was the world.

(Okay, the groups are split. Harley no longer has to wait for me to post)

Question after question left her lips but Ira did nothing for the moment. Just simply listened. As he did, he was reminded of how his own ideas were convoluted at this stage. Extremely, in fact. There were numerous things he had to do in order to get the end result that he would find satisfying, and, while he had other alternatives, this little dark-haired opportunity was available. And he wasn't going to pass it up. He listened, sitting down and leaning forward, digesting her voice and her words. Ira was no musician, but even he could tell something in her throat had changed from the way she was talking now.

The oddly-coloured light from the window reminded him of how little this meeting was. There was a whole city out there, shining its streetlamp light onto his back and the other objects in the room - the ottoman, the ice machine, the pod he'd be using if Ema didn't return... this was a small space but the words spoken would, with careful consideration and prods in the right direction, change the city. Maybe not for the better. But it would change the city.

He decided to answer her questions in order. For a few reasons. Firstly, he enjoyed order and the proper way of doing things. With her asked questions, they filled a consecutive number slot in his brain. It was only logical to tackle them in the order she relayed them to him. Secondly, she was much more eager to know what she was doing than what he would get out of it; she'd asked a self-relating question first. Not asked what Ira would be doing first. So he'd rather tell her that than reveal what he wanted.

"Well, I know you work in the Morgue. Hardly fitting work for hands like yours, but it is what it is. And what I have in mind won't involve you straying from your comfort zone too much..." he looked to the side, formatting his words slowly and carefully. His eye was caught and calmed by a light on the side of the coffin, ebbing and flowing an amber glow. The unoccupied sign. He sighed and looked back to Fleur, "As... you obviously heard, a friend did die recently. I've had confirmation and delivery of his Will, but that isn't what I'm interested in. I'm interested in his body. Which is nicely located in the Morgue. You see, and I'm basing this on nothing but speculation, I think he was killed. His sister's in the Morgue too, and both of them dying at the same time is not something I would have expected to ever happen."

This was the truth. Ira had no idea what happened to Lull, the solicitors didn't deal in that information. All he knew was in the e-mail sent to him this morning from the solicitors' offices, almost condoling but more business-like. More to say he'd have the Will soon. No details on how. He'd have asked Ema, see if she knew but... that opportunity was gone. But, with what little he knew of Lull, even if Lois was to die somehow, he'd not commit suicide and follow her until after he'd given her a burial. Which she had not been given. That, mixed with Ema's comment about definitely not wanting to join Lazarus was enough to make up Ira's mind on the situation.

"So I believe it was murder. Possibly. Manslaughter, perhaps, but either way... I want their bodies. I don't want to see them in the Morgue, I want them delivered to me so I can work out what happened, for their sakes. That is where you come in," he locked eyes with her and paused. She was still, listening to every word said and every word unsaid. She'd be sharp, she'd probably not like this. "What I need you to do is to provide me with them. Or, if not both, one of them. And the one I want is pretty easy to remember - he's a hermaphrodite. Or was. Bring me him at least. Discharge them, keep them chilled to the best of your abilities - perhaps procure yourself a key to a chilled van - try to keep the DNA intact, deliver them to the docks. That is what I want, and it's not much. You're sharp, you're intelligent. It shouldn't be too difficult for you."

He smiled. "I am essentially asking you to steal corpses but... I promise, you do this and we both benefit. You will receive, from a third party, ten thousand to go towards eating away at your debt. Don't spend it on handbags and firearms," it was a joke, but the opportunity to laugh was null. But she might not agree. At least, not yet. "However, if you don't do this, I can make this debt of yours much bigger. It's amazing what a simple lawsuit against you and your squirrel would do. Surely, it'd bite a stranger...? Perhaps sever an artery...? Cause me to be unable to work myself for a month...? Do you see what I mean?" he let himself sit back and this time asked a more lighthearted question of her. "And why a squirrel? My acquaintance last tournament didn't mention why. But of all the animals to keep, why a squirrel?"

@Mr_DC

(This story. This subplot. This is gold. This is magnificence. This is beauty.)

@0stinato

Fleur nodded along. Of course he knew she worked in the morgue. He seemed to know a lot about her. Though, she wouldn't question it. He gave his explanation and she was satisfied with not knowing how true it was. After all, he offered his help. One shouldn't question help. A good outcome out of bad reasons was still a good outcome.

She made plans in her head. Get two bodies. That would take a favor with her colleagues. More than a single favor. Still, it was possible. Until he mentioned it.

Murder. That complicated things. It made the whole endeavor change from simply displacing a few corpses to stealing someone who was murdered. And who murdered them?

A gang? They might want to get rid of Fleur if they did it. One involved figure less. Perhaps they were the one hiring her through this man. This chess player. What if they would get rid of her once everything was done?

What if it was the police who killed the person she was tasked with retrieving? Then she would be committing a serious crime. Who knew who the man was? Maybe an important criminal. Maybe his body was full of drugs. Fleur came across plenty of those. She never stole any of that, though. Reported it to the higher ups and never asked another question of what happened.

And what if it was a corporation? That would be the most dangerous outcome. Messing with something that would imply a corporation got their hands dirty was suicide. Suicide in the worst possible way. Corporations either did things simple and clean or complicated and dirty. If it was a corporation that did it, it must have been the latter. In which case, Fleur wasn't on firm footing.

Fleur smiled when he complimented her. Told her she was smart. Yeah, she was smart. Wasn't she? She was still alive with such a debt hanging over her head. She was still alive in Nevereign. She was still alive while working for a mega corporation. Funny how being still alive meant one was smart. Or sad. Sad how being alive meant one was smart.

She then froze. Ten thousand. That would be a massive chunk out of her debt. A huge help. Just for taking a potential risk. If the worst happened and someone caught her, she could always play dumb. If it's a gang, she knew what to say to get them off her back. After all, she lived in Nevereign for years.

If it was the police, she could just tell the truth and blame everything on her new employer. And if it was a corporation... Maybe she could make a deal. A deal with the devil.

She smiled at his joke but the smile faded as he changed his tone. "Lawsuit?" She repeated, blinking once with her big brown eyes. "W-why..." She didn't understand it. Why would he force her to do it? "Why would you sue me?" She already was forced to take the job because of her debt but even if things turned ugly... She had no way out now. Is that what he meant? Did he truly intend to trap her like that the entire time?

"You..." Her face relaxed and her gaze fell to the floor. Her shoulders slouched and head tilted forward. She understood. It was Nevereign. It was the whole world. Of course he didn't want to be her friend. He was just using her. Probably the same thing her partner was doing. There was no love in Nevereign. No love in the world. Just masks until one gets stabbed by the other. Not even in the back. Straight through the heart while looking at your eyes. "Squirrel." She repeated, her voice dry and tired. "I don't know." She lied, shaking her head. It was the only thing she actually cared about. Except Miky now but that was only a matter of time.

It was always the squirrel. Just an animal who survived in a city where nothing survives. An animal who found a master who barely has time for it. A master who isn't even the master of herself.

Fleur was defeated. Suffering from just another wound. It was about time for a new one anyway. "What do you want me to do?" She looked at the man. A man like any other in the city. They were all predators and she was just a gazelle.

(Not sure whose story you're enjoying - yours or mine. I'm just gonna see you as a smug prick who is overly proud of their own writing :smile2: )

Users who are viewing this thread