• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic the outer rim

powerline

What's new, Scooby-Doo?
info
lore
roles
other
  • info

OUTER RIM.

an apocalyptic cyberpunk x dystopian surrealism roleplay

Stand at the end of the world. This was not a mistake, but an inevitability. Millenniums have passed since mankind donned metal, either in a stitching of flesh and machine like Frankenstein or transferring their human consciousness to AI and bringing about the Era of the Robot and subsequently the Great Hacking. All that remains is Rim, a physical hierarchy of flesh with the metal-bound placed at the bottom, beyond that, a wasteland of dust and ruin.

Rim is divided into layers, starting from the infinite neon spire in the center that connects Unaltered to Paradise, a digital heaven, while they rest in nutritional jelly baths, all the way—past a multitude of walls and checkpoints—to the Outer Rim, a lawless infestation of cyborgs who have long since taken residency among the billions of robots who are mindlessly enslaved to the factory.

coded by weldherwings.

an apocalyptic cyberpunk x dystopian surrealism roleplay

Stand at the end of the world. This was not a mistake, but an inevitability. Millenniums have passed since mankind donned metal, either in a stitching of flesh and machine like Frankenstein or transferring their human consciousness to AI and bringing about the Era of the Robot and subsequently the Great Hacking. All that remains is Rim, a physical hierarchy of flesh with the metal-bound placed at the bottom, beyond that, a wasteland of dust and ruin.

Rim is divided into layers, starting from the infinite neon spire in the center that connects Unaltered to Paradise, a digital heaven, while they rest in nutritional jelly baths, all the way—past a multitude of walls and checkpoints—to the Outer Rim, a lawless infestation of cyborgs who have long since taken residency among the billions of robots who are mindlessly enslaved to the factory.

LOCATIONS

>the outer rim; A century or so ago, all those who were not deemed fit to enter Rim settled and built off of the architecture of the factory, turning it into the neon shanty town it is today.

>the factory; A matrix of metal that covers and partially makes up the first and major wall of Rim. The action inside the factory is separate from the Outer Rim and is largely guarded by sentry bots. Giant train systems enter the factory, dropping off resources and taking product deeper into Rim, this is the most guarded area of the factory.

>rim; Walled in and protected by Rim's AI, to the Outer Rim, the going ons of the city remain a mystery though the city's skyscrapers and lights peak out above the border wall.

>paradise; Digital heaven, basically, and mostly painted by rumor. They say you can have anything in Paradise and live forever.

>the wastes; The orange desert that surrounds Rim and goes on forever. Some say there's civilization out there, but you're likely to die before you ever find it.

PEOPLE

>cyborgs; The main populace of the Outer Rim aside from robots. Some are satisfied with their piece, content crawling by each day or happy to take advantage of the corruption, but most dream of making it past the walls into the inner parts of Rim, and maybe even to Paradise. To pass through the first gate, they require a full anatomy, but the AI guards don’t seem to mind if it’s wholly yours. And herein lies the rub, upgrades are needed to survive though the more human a cyborg becomes, the more they start to look like a walking lottery ticket. So though most deal in tokens, if a cyborg wants something good, they trade flesh.

>>racers; Gambling has a hold on the Outer Rim, namely with racing. There are plenty of young, impressionable kids who chase the thrill of winning and losing and life and death behind a motorcycle, and there are plenty of shady businesses willing to sponsor them for a cut.

>robots; After the Great Hacking, the billions of consciousnesses uploaded were imprisoned by code, becoming little more than husks that work in the massive factory that encircles Rim and provides the city with all the necessities that can not be acquired from within. Sets of gigantic rail tracks branch off from the factories, heading into the endless desert to ferry back resources from places unknown. All around the factory are the skeletons of robots that have short-circuited, malfunctioned, or sustained critical damage.

>>reborn; Of the billions, there are a 1.0 x 10^-6 percent of robots that have regained free-will—basically a handful. Typically, though, their memory chips have long since been extracted, leaving them with the single core one. Functions such as communication, movement, and relative short-term memory are stored there, however the storage is vastly limited, and at routine shutdown, robots with consciousness, called reborn among cyborgs, will have to pick and choose what they will keep and delete when storage becomes full.

>unaltered; coveted like minor gods, the Rim's AI system does everything in its power to protect the remaining pure humans. They live their lives in a jelly bath, their mind connected to Paradise. On rare occasion, a malfunction happens and an unaltered is pulled from Paradise when the AI thinks it has died, dumps its body into the Pit where the waste is then taken to the Outer Rim, only for it to wake up in a hellscape. Being a pure human, the Outer Rim devours an unaltered as soon as they are discovered.

ROLES

Roles are not concrete and there will always be room for creative exploration if you feel another character outside of the following would fit into the roleplay.

>wayward; An unaltered mistakenly pushed out into the outer rim. Rescued before they could be discovered by scavengers, they are on a mission to get back into Rim and Paradise ASAP.

>guardian; A robot with a newly uncovered consciousness that has taken to keeping the unaltered safe. (taken by powerline powerline )

>upstart; A sponsor trying to get their name out there despite larger businesses constantly moving in on their racers.

>rookie; A new racer trying to prove themselves, one of the upstart's only loyal clients.

>genius; An engineering prodigy who once had big dreams, but fell prey to the crime of the Outer Rim.

Thanks for reading my interest check, this idea has been bubbling in my head for a while now and has been vastly inspired by works by Zdzislaw Beksinski, but with a sci-fi twist.

RULES

> this'll be an 18+ roleplay, covering darker themes set in a gritty universe.

>posts should be at minimum over 300 words with a post every week from each member to keep the ball rolling.

LINKS

tba

ARTWORKS USED

deathburger ; unknown ; alex steven martin

Last edited:
Looks fascinating, evocative and original. But I'm not sure I see how it will translate into a story. Do you have a plot in mind?

Looks fascinating, evocative and original. But I'm not sure I see how it will translate into a story. Do you have a plot in mind?
I have a story in mind, but it's more concrete in that there are roles to be played—I would need racers (and/or a mechanic), an unaltered, a robot, and a sponsor, though the exact amount of each can vary. A quick synopsis: a robot finds an unaltered in the dump, gives them shelter and does their best to keep their identity hidden. In order to get back into Rim, they would need full human anatomy (got that), and a sum of tokens (don't got that), but the easiest way to earn high amounts of tokens quickly would be through racing. Cue shady sponsor, rival racers, etc, and each fighting and throwing wretches into the main plan because they all have goals of their own.

Alternatively, I'm willing to do a more sandbox approach in that players create and run with plots of their own.

I'd be interested! Definitely with a wayward, I'd love to play around with the concept! Or even so, all of them look great to give a go <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back