• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy ~The Other Side: Innovative Urban Fantasy~ {interest check}

SkyGinge

Sad Shroom

The year is 2030. The world, though not too dissimilar to today, has been marred by a collection of tragic events.

A giant meteor landing causing global tidal destruction.

An underground war with North Korea.

The spectacular failure of one of the most ambition scientific projects in history.

images

As the tide of tragedy shifts back out to sea, humankind is hopeful, ambitious. From the dust of destruction there rises now a new country build atop the submerged meteor, a country formed with the sole intention of bettering mankind. Stories of innovative technology waft through the media. But for now, humankind only teeters on the brink of redevelopment. And the human race meanders on as ever.

modern-city-concept-art1.jpg

In the rural outskirts of Meteor Island, in the ordinary suburb of Crystown, a group of students set off to Bohemian Hall, the location of their annual school party.

Little do they know that underneath their noses there rages a dynamic war as old as time itself.

Little do they know that their entire scientific understanding is fundamentally baseless.

Little do they know that beyond the Earth lies a fantasy realm beyond all imagination.

Little do they know that the events set to unfold right at that very party will thrust them straight out of their comfy understanding and into a chaotic world where nothing will ever be the same.

Little they know, little they see.

A world of warfare, a world of beauty, a world of importance, a world of danger.

An
ancient civilisation and the anarchic army with which they are locked in timeless conflict.

Are you brave enough to join our adventure?

Because there's no turning back once you've seen

~The Other Side~

~~~

Right, first off, a very warm thank you for checking out this thread! I hope you're enjoying the holidays and I hope reading this was worth your time. I'll now hope to add a little extra detail about what this RP will be about.

The Other Side is an urban fantasy RP constructed with unique, original lore. By urban fantasy, I mean this is a modern kind of fantasy story as opposed to medieval with magic and stuff. But what is this lore, you ask, and what makes it so unique? Well, I don't want to give too much away as I want it to be as fresh and surprising to you fellow writers as it will be to the characters we portray, but trust me when I say to my knowledge, there is no world quite like this. However, I know this might be a defining factor as to whether you choose to join this RP or not, so I'm more than prepared to answer any specific questions you may have over PM.

The story will follow a group of average teenagers as they suddenly find themselves involved in the fantasy realm of this RP. They'll learn the truth about the world, and they'll get to learn special powers with which to fight off the evil threat. That's all the pitch you'll get for now, however. You'll have to join us to find out what's really going down! The RP will be somewhere in between Casual and Descriptive in definition, and I hope to cater for all interested as long as they put the effort in :)

So yeah, reply down below if you're interested, if you're on the fence then please explain why so that I can help to persuade you, and if you have any questions hit me up over PM and I'll be sure to help you out! :D

UPDATE: The thread is up and can be found here! Head on down, read up and submit your character! :D

~Ginge

Last edited by a moderator:
Welp,Ginge I'd join,but so far I'm a little overwhelmed with a few RPs and I was thinking about starting one of my own.

@DryPunishment : Don't fret Dry, don't fret :') If you're already too busy then that's obviously fine, just keep an eye on things though if you are interested, just in case one of your RPs stops or something and you find time to join :)

@AikoMomone : Cool! :D

@AikoMomone : I'm never one to ask for a post count personally. However, I instead ask for posts with relevent detail for what you have to reply to. So for example, I expect posts describing things to be a few paragraphs long and in good detail (however, not excessive; we don't want your character's lifestory retold everytime they see a change in scenery), but if all you have to do is reply to one bit of dialogue then a small paragraph will suffice. So yeah, no one liners, but similarly minimal waffle either. As for pictures, that's quite a minor detail that I wouldn't worry about until the actual thread is up :')

I am instantly skeptical when someone describes their own work as unique and innovative.

Especially when that eats up significant wordcount.

I won't be joining, but I will be watching with great interest and a decade of experience in the genre.

I sincerely hope to be impressed. Good luck and have fun.

@Grey : I imagined you might say that should you stumble upon this thread :') I understand your skepticism - hence this very quote: "but trust me when I say to my knowledge, there is no world quite like this." By the very nature of writing, especially that designed to entice others into joining in, there is going to be some familiar elements, and there is probably something out there somewhere similar to the idea, as I'm sure you understand from a decade of experience in the genre. However, it is certainly different from a lot of the fantasy on this site, is the point I'm trying to make. When advertising, a little hyperbole is commonplace; if I were describing it to a friend IRL I'd hardly be so persistant with the point. Also, even if it's not totally 'innovative and unique', it hardly matters much as long as the roleplay is fun; this is only an RP, after all.

Anyhow, no pressure now, right? :P Thanks for the interest anyhow.

I know, I know, and I mean thank you for it, but just thought it best to clear all that up in case people get the wrong impression about what this RP's all about :')

My interest is peaked, I will certainly keep this RP in mind. I love originality and newness, and so if this really is new and different, I'd be glad to join.

@Pasha : Cool! However, like I've said, I'm not planning on revealing any of the lore until we get to that stage in the plot (which is early, don't worry), so I hope you're willing to trust me on that promise and commit fom the get go.

@cloudyblueday and @Ozerath : Thanks, and cool!

@All: I actually have all the starting details for the RP itself ready to go now. I'm going to hop to that now, but note that due to my schoolwork it'll probably be about a week until the actual RP starts. :) Once again, if you have any questions, or if you're interested but still undecided because of the lack of world details provided so far, hit me up with a PM or comment here and I'll definitely help out! :D

@AikoMomone @tem502 @Pasha @cloudyblueday @Ozerath

The thread is up, and located
here! I hope it has enough details for you guys and look forward to seeing your character applications! Remember, as always, if you have any questions then PM them to me and I'll help you out! :D

This seems very interesting. I will likely be joining. However, I have a question. By fantasy do your mean in a LOTR kind of fantasy or only magical powers like sorcerer's apprentice?

@Deadkool : Hi, and thanks for your interest! As I've mentioned in the OP I think, this is a modern kind of fantasy, as opposed to being more mythic and medieval like LOTR. The closest comparison I can think of to this kind of fantasy is something along the lines of Skullduggery Pleasant. It's also not necessarily magic, I might add, though as I've mentioned, there are fantasy abilities and battles involved.

Thanks for the question and I hope I answered it well!

Looks incredible, the premise alone is similar to an idea I had a few weeks back but never acted on so I'd love to join something like this :)

@Allcure : Cool, cool, thanks for the interest! If you haven't already discovered it, the link is a little way up this page, or here for quicker reference :)

Bumpedy dump! The RP is up and the link is in the OP now! Please check us out if you're into fantasy stuff! Thanks!

Currently reading up on the background stuff ^_^ ; looks really interesting.. however, if i am able to post once or twice a week is that acceptable? I will of course, do my best to write an appropriate amount of detail.

Edit: Hmm... just got to the part in the rules section about activity =\ Not sure if i can keep up, but I'll await your reply anyways.

@Sincerely Me : Cool, thanks for the interest! Preferably, I would like a little more activity than that., I'm afraid. Would it not be possible at all to drop in shorter but more frequent posts if neccessary? Like, will you not have time on any of the other days to just chip in a paragraph or so?

Of course, you needn't be dissuaded by that, and I'll still accept you if you do submit an application, only I worry that you might find yourself a little left behind. Posting every other day would probably be fine. Obviously we won't know exactly what the RP's pacing will be like until all has begun, but pre-emptively, that's what I'm aiming for. :)

Awesome, just gonna have a read through the thread now and get a character sheet sorted, hopefully will be up within an hour or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back