• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic The Orville (Sci-Fi, most details up to discussion)

AshDarling

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
So! I'm wanting to begin an RP story within the setting of The Orville! In case you may be unaware, it's a relatively-new sci-fi show, originally on Fox then brought to Hulu. Heavily inspired by Star Trek: The Next Generation, it's a show about scientific exploration, political intrigue, and the social lives of the crew of a military ship. The setting is fantastic, and I could easily gush about some of my favorite aspects, and would love to. Especially if someone were interested, but unfamiliar. I'm not particularly choosy about what exactly an RP within the setting may be, I just have an enormous desire to RP within the setting. Though there are a number of concepts that would lend well to an RP.

- The crew of a military exploratory vessel. This would be the easiest to reckon with, given that it's also the concept of the show itself, as well as the concept of (almost) every Star Trek series, which again, The Orville is heavily inspired by. I do think that in this situation, having the captain and first officer as NPCs would be ideal, as there would be less restrictions in interactions between other ranks. It would probably progress in much the same way as the show as well, with exploratory missions, broken up by 'down time.'
- Civilian spacefarers. A much smaller-scale crew, anywhere from just a handful of people, to maybe a dozen if NPCs are included. There would be an immense amount of freedom in this case, though plotlines may not feel as 'big,' on the scale of the setting. Of course, they could be much 'bigger' in regards to the characters themselves. This would also be much more free-form, with less structure in the 'what are we doing' ideas.
- Colonists, on a newly-founded colony. This would potentially be the most limiting story, but is still a very interesting concept. As with the previous, this would be a variably-sized group, anywhere from ten characters up to maybe thirty. The first concept, and this one, would rely on many NPCs within the 'main group,' which isn't a bad thing but certainly is something to keep in mind. The general progress of such an RP would likely be slowly growing/developing the colony, while dealing with whatever issues may crop up.

I would of course be open to story concepts beyond these, and any details from within these concepts would be up to discussion. I'm not trying to control anything here, I just really wanna RP in a setting I've quickly come to love.

And again, should someone be interested but unfamiliar with the setting, I am WAY willing to talk someone's ear off about anything and everything!

Interested in the non-militant/non-colonist scenario. I watched some of the first season of the show a long time ago (before it went to Hulu?). So, I'm vaguely familiar with the Orville setting. Basically, what I took from it was: Star Trek... just a little more absurd. Dunno if the mood of the series changed as it went on. But yeah, I'm tentatively interested, but only if I would have some option to have a character NOT belonging to a government of military organization.

Oh the tone significantly changed in later seasons. Season two was more serious, less humor, and season three even moreso. Season one was "This is a fun take on the Star Trek formula," season three is "This is the best version of Star Trek."

I do think that a sort of 'independant' type of character group would be the most open and available for possible plotlines, and would probably be the best one to go with. There's a lot of options that that could be; couriers, bounty hunters, a private luxury liner. It would also take the most discussion of exact things within the lore, including extrapolating how various groups and governments in the galaxy would interact and deal with that kind of crew. Possibly even a lot of fully fabricating cultural norms of stuff based on the tidbits of it we get in the show. Which I am also fully down to discuss.

I'd probably be down for this but cause I'm into a bit more video games an such I had a spin on my own attempt aha

If no one wants anything to do with it that's fair but I figured I could show it here

Oh nice. I'm about to head to work, but will check that out when I get off. I would definitely be cool with being in more than one Orville-setting RP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back