• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Open Chance

Life.

Forever Wandering
Supporter
A roleplay for Rantos Rantos and me~

Mountain_Village-wallpaper-10442967.jpg
Ikale Village of Megumare Island. Home to the Dimasas nobility.

There have been many rumors saying that the Dimasas family is holding a grave secret, one that if anyone discovers what it is may potentially become the most powerful being existent. But whatever could it be? No one has yet to find out what it is. Why is this? The Dimasas is known to own only a small kingdom. So what do they have that have stopped many? Well it so happens that they pay for the best bodyguards, from all kinds of places. But why is it that they have had many come and go?

You are the most recent bodyguard that the king of Ikale has taken an interest in. He had sent you a letter subtly begging you to come and take the position. Turns out it's not a bodyguard position for the king but rather his daughter, Anai. Will you take up this chance?

Name: Anai Dimasas
Weight: 110 lbs.
Height: 5'3"
Appearance:

ad3e0dcb633f1f15f713412246a93c06.jpg

Anai has a petite figure and with what many could call "doll features". She has porcelain skin, stark black hair, heart-shaped face, and the perfect nose. The only striking feature of Anai though is her eyes, a green so light that in some certain angles may appear a pearlish color. This color differs from that to the village and really anyone on the island whom all have brown hued eyes. Her father believes that her eyes are what open the doorway to the spiritual world.

Personality: On the outside she is cold, sassy, and bossy. She doesn't take anything lightly and hardly jokes around. From the beginning she received the proper etiquette training and discipline. Before she used to take interest in people and wanted to interact with many people, but they all pulled away in fear of her. So now Anai acts the way she does to protect herself. Internally she wants to love someone and help others, but none wish to receive her help. At least not in the human world. She calmly thinks through situations and often analyzes options to take. Anai is very knowledgeable about many things considering books and spirits are her only friends at this point. The desire for adventure and mystery was doused a long time ago.

Background: Anai was a happy baby in the beginning, She had dazzling hazel eyes and a darker shade to her skin. At a young age she was rather popular among elders, adults, and children. She was a delight and enjoyed having fun and just interacting with others. It wasn't until she turned five when things began taking the wrong turn.
She started to see spirits, and mysterious occurrences happened around her. This frightened off everyone from her. No one believed what she said. Her own parents didn't believe her at first until they consulted an accredited sage. She said that Anai had the rare ability as acting as the link between the spiritual and human world. It also explained why her eyes were slowly lightening up over the years.
Sadness and grief followed after Anai for those past years. No one wanted to speak to her or even do anything with her. But her sanity didn't lose to depression when she figured out that she could help spirits. Some bits and pieces of her loneliness filled up with the spirits. Although she wouldn't interact with them out in the open, only when no one was looking around for she didn't want to be labeled anything more than a liar.
Nothing major happened in the beginning years of her ability. But then one day she encountered a powerful spirit. It so happened that she met this powerful spirit right when her father's army was almost wiped out by another nation's army. The event was described as one that many have never seen. Just as the last line of defense of the Ikale Army was wiped out a large dragon of gold appeared from the clouds and annihilated the oncoming offense. Once word of this mysterious being spread, many nations began digging into the Dimasas bloodline. There they happened to stumble upon the information of Anai. Now many nations desire her and her power. Only the nobilities know of her power, not even the common people of her village know. Anai wishes it to remain a secret to her people and to stop it from further spreading.

YoRHa.No.9.Type.S.full.2080546.jpg
Name
Wulf Oswald

Height/Weight
5'10/190lb

Appearance
Wulf possesses a frame that can both be described as lean and deceptively condensed. At a glance he does not have the type of mass that would be expected of a sell-sword of his stature. His skin is of a pale white completion comparable to new fallen snow and his hair almost equally as white. Although they are hidden by a black blindfold most of the time, Wulf's eyes are light blue in color. His face is smooth and quite young in appearance, especially for a man his age.

Personality
The merc' with not much mouth. Wulf is a quiet lad who is comfortable staying both out of sight and out of mind. He is polite and well spoken in his words as little as they are. Wulf doesn't give off the silent but strong vibe however, he is mostly just silent. The boy is modest and quick to blush, often responding to praise with an embarrassed smile and red cheeks. When Wulf speaks he is deliberate, often giving deep thought to his words before he says them. The same can be said with his actions too. Wulf is a boy at heart, and one that hold close the bonds he makes with others. He acts with both logic and compassion to the best of his abilities but above all listens to his heart when making a choice. Like a child Wulf is happy-go-lucky and sees the wonder in most everything. Although Wulf's initial disposition is unbecoming of someone with his specific notoriety, that aspect of the boy is just one side of the weathered coin.

Background
Before anything, only two things existed for Wulf, two names that were all the boy could cling to:

Mother and Mentor.

Wulf never knew his true family, his real origins are a blur, but as far back as Wulf could remember there were always two woman in his life that loved him dearly. He knew these woman as Mother and Mentor and nothing more. Wulf didn't know much in his youth, and only one truth ever persisted. Together, the three were a family, and loved each other as such. The three wandered together, looking for a home as Mother always put it. Mother and Mentor both had a job as sell swords, giving their sword to whoever could fetch a nice price. They always had good stories to tell and although the job was deadly the two always came back from a days work with a smile. Wulf felt the need to take up the sword and join them, so they taught Wulf how to fight. Taught him how to live by the blade.

In time Wulf became a masterful combatant with help from Mentor. Mentor taught Wulf how to fight and Mother would regularly test how far he had come. Wulf was a quick learner, but only because of his drive to stand up to Mother. Each fight she would make quick work of him but Wulf didn't hate it, in fact he was thankful and wished to be able to rival Mother, to show her that all the work they both had put in was well worth it.

It was around the time Wulf was 18 they started finding jobs for him. Mother and Mentor saw the potential in him so they demanded that he was to work in a more respectable way, not as a mercenary, but as a royal knight or bodyguard. Even though Wulf desired to work with his family, they both refused him. In short time Wulf's name became well known. His promise as a gaurd proved time and time again, more and more people wanted him. In time Wulf was venturing across counties to give others his services. By the time he was 22 Wulf left Mother and Mentor with a heavy heart. It was time for Wulf to make his own legends. Or so that's what Mentor told him.

Ebony and Ivory: Wulf's signature blades.
YoRHa.No.9.Type.S.600.2077685.jpg

Wulf and Mentor
2082335.jpg

A happy family/
No rest for mother
2079465.jpg
"So what business does a boy who can't see have with a sword?"

The question came as a surprise to Wulf. Although he got that same question, just asked differently, all the time Wulf was taken aback by the black smiths question. Wulf thought about an answer as the smith beat away at his soon to be sword. "Well..." he began. "I'm a body guard, Mr.Blacksmith. So I need the weapons to guard, bodies."

"And the blindfold? Can't guard if you can't see."

"Well I can see, kind of, sir. You see it just makes seeing hard, so I can use my other... senses." This response earned a quizzical look from the smith. "Never mind, my Mentor could explain it better." The smith didn't bother to respond, rather he got back to work banging away at the metal on the anvil and Wulf once again became silent. Wulf was happy to find a blacksmith in this small town. On the way here his sword had broken, as swords do, so he needed a new one. To think though he could find a smith to make him a blade in only a few hours. Although the generous amount of money Wulf gave the smith did help to speed up the process. The banging soon stopped, and Wulf watched as the smith dipped the blade in water. Steam rose to the roof and the blade let out a hiss that filled the room if only for a moment. Without the loud banging of the hammer Wulf could hear his horse whining outside the shop. Poor boy, he must be feeling lonely. The shop got much quieter as the smith worked on the finishing touches. Then, finally, when the blade was finished the smith handed it to Wulf. Wulf gazed upon it, the single curved edge was something he had only seen rarely before. It must have been custom to these lands to craft such a skinny single edged sword. At the very least it felt lighter.

"Thank you Mr.Blacksmith. I think I'll call it... Ivory!"

"You name your swords?"

"M-maybe! ...is that bad?"

"Just a bit strange kid."

Wulf couldn't hide the blush that began to cover his face. He bowed to the smith, another custom he noted in these lands, and ran out of the shop. Just outside the shop was his loyal steed, standing by waiting for Wulf. The young man gave his horse a rub on the head and whispered into the horse's ear. "Sorry that took so long Beo let's go." Wulf walked beside his horse as the two made their way to the castle. Truly though, castle was a slight exaggeration. The building was more well built then the rest in the town, but even still it was far from a castle. At least far from any castle Wulf has seen. The boy stopped his horse before the gates of the sudo-castle. The family emblem of the ones who hired him, the golden dragon loomed over head. Wulf held Ivory by his side and patted Ebony, his great sword, which hung on the side of his horse. No matter how many times Wulf took a new job it would always be as nerve wreaking as the first. He called out.

"H-hello? My name is Wulf, your kind had summoned me for guard work! I have the letter if you would like to..." Wulf found himself unable to finish that sentence as he checked his pockets and found no trace of the letter. The boy was flustered as he searched frantically. Silently he prayed the nobles would not take him up on his offer to show the letter.
Life. Life.

Two guards of the Dimasas household stood on each end of the gate that led to the castle of the nobility. Their stances tensed when they saw a man, more like a boy, on a horse approaching them. The guards tilted their spears slightly forward but relaxed a bit when the boy began speaking. They watched as he became flustered and nervous. The two guards glanced at each other then back to the boy. One guard stepped forward and asked, "Please state your full name and business with the Dimasas."

Rantos Rantos

Now why was this part always the hardest? Wulf had done this more times than he could count on two hands, yet meeting guards at gates always managed to make him tense. The boy sputtered a bit and tripped over his words as he tried to explain the situation. "M-may name is W-wulf, Wulf Oswald. I am here to, to... guard your princesses's body?" It was formed more like a question then a statement. The fact that Wulf was aware of how he must have looked only served to make his blush brighter. "May I, uh... come in, please?"
Life. Life.

The one guard that approached him merely stared at him with a serious face, not even moving an inch when he blundered his sentence. The second guard though approached the first guard and whispered, "This is Wulf Oswald, the bodyguard that the king is waiting for." The first guard frowned a bit but didn't question the king's orders, "Alright you may proceed through the gates. He will show you to the king." The second guard gave a slight bow to indicate that he was to be Wulf's guide.

The gates of the wall opened with large, obnoxious creaking that could be heard throughout the castle. And because of the volume of it, it sure brought a lot of attention towards the gate. Mostly servants looking though. But sitting in a stone bench in the very front of the castle sat a man well-dressed and adorned, undeniably the king. His brown eyes watched as the second guard led the boy with his horse towards the man. Once the man stood he nearly matched the height of the horse. His broad frame obviously overpowered that of the guards themselves. At first look the man appears intimidating, cold, and ruthless since his normal face was one that looked like a scowl. But once the bodyguard named Wulf approached him his face changed one into a grin. There he appeared less like a bear and more like a friendly lumberjack. "So you're the renowned Wulf Oswald. Pretty tiny I must say. Well I mean everybody is tiny to me," finding this humorous, the man gave a hearty laugh, "Do you have your letter by any chance? So we can verify that you are who you say you are?"

Rantos Rantos

These guards, like most, seemed a bit skeptical that Wulf could truly be the man of legend. Wulf couldn't blame either of them. Sometimes he would look and a mirror and couldn't believe he was Wulf either. But the two let him in and Wulf followed the man who was to be his guide, bowing back to the man before bringing himself and his horse into the court yard. The sound of the gate brought all attention to the boy and his horse. He knew that everyone in the court yard had his eyes on him, but he was secretly hoping they all were looking at his horse. Beo was a beauty after all, so it wasn't outside the realm of possibility.

Wulf had no trouble making out the king, the giant of a man who loomed even while sitting. When he stood Wulf gulped audibly. He was intimidating to say the least, even more so once he actually rose from his seat. The man was monstrous, enough to make Wulf wonder why anyone would even dream of messing with his kingdom. Surly this man would be haunting Wulf's dreams for a few nights to come. The king came closer, and Wulf panicked a bit. Taking a deep breath the boy bowed to the king. He heard the king make a joke of Wulf's size compared to his own and Wulf laughed along, mostly out of fear of what the king may do if it didn't. But what the king asked next truly terrified him. Wulf had lost the paper, he was sure of it. He was not sure where, but he checked everywhere he could, yet nothing. Wulf hesitated for a moment. Then he started to mess with his blindfold, he reached and picked out a folded piece of paper, then he handed it to the king with a hand that trembled ever so slightly. Within the paper the king would find Wulf's full name written.

"I, uh, lost the letter... but I have the paper Mother gave me so that I could remember my name if ever, I, forget... Deepest apologies your majesty." Wulf bowed his head low trying his best to show deep regret.
Life. Life.

King Dimasas' smile fell when he heard the boy apologizing in losing the letter. Instead he pulled out a worn piece of paper and gestured for the king to check it. With his huge hands he grabbed the paper as softly as he could so as to not wrinkle it completely. "Ah here sir, allow me," a nearby servant took the paper from the king's hands and unfolded it, showing it the king afterwards. There in the paper was a name written in it along with the recognizable seal of the Oswalds, "Hm. It seems genuine. Tell me Mr. Oswald, why did I call you here specifically?" The large man was testing to see if the boy had actually read the letter. If he had then he would know that he was asked to be the bodyguard of the Dimasas, specifically for the princess of the family.

Rantos Rantos

Wulf tried as hard as he could to keep himself from shaking. He feared what would happen if the paper didn't work out for the best. Wulf may have been confident enough of his skills to make his way out of most dangerous situations, but this man looked like he could crush Wulf's skull with his hands, and the boy didn't wish to cross him. By some miracle of grace however, everything checked out. Thank goodness. Next the king asked Wulf if he could remind the king why he summoned the bodyguard. An odd question in Wulf's mind, the king sent the letter after all. Wulf wasn't aware that the king was testing him. Rather, Wulf blamed the lack of remembrance on the kings age. Wulf tried to the best of his ability to recount the letter.

"Well..." Wulf began. "First you buttered me up with flowery words and praise. Then you begged me to guard the life of your daughter... is that correct sir?" The boy's words were filled with blunt honesty but not a hint of ill will. Wulf then began to look around, up down and even around the king. "Speaking of, sir, where is the princess? If it is okay with you, I would like to get started as soon as I can. As Mother says: Malice never rests, so neither should I." Wulf looked and looked, even lifted his blindfold over one eys so he could see the court yard a bit better. Yet no one that stuck him as the princess met his eye.
Life. Life.

Another hearty laugh escaped from the man's body when he heard Wulf's response. "I hope you still have that tongue by tomorrow. Come I'll take you to my daughter." The king signalled to the servant to hand back the paper to Wulf then signalled Wulf to follow him. "Oh and your horse will be taken to the stables," King Dimasas turned back to Wulf as he said this, "If it helps, my daughter loves animals. If you make it by tomorrow I'd recommend showing her your horse. It's quite the beauty so she'll love it." The king wasn't intentionally saying these sorts of sentences for fun, in fact it was all by habit at this point. So many bodyguards have come and gone, but why is that?

---------------------------------------------------

"Princess Anai the new bodyguard has arrived." A servant stood close by to a petite girl who was delicately playing the erhu. The young woman was in the midst of a song, not stopping when the servant entered the room. She continued playing, the melody being one full of grief. Her eyes were closed as she played, concentrating on the notes and feeling them. The servant knew better than to try and interrupt again, so she stood idle.

Of course the princess never reached the end of the song when she felt and heard the steps of a behemoth coming. The behemoth of a father. "Anailia~!" sang her father who slammed the sliding door with much enthusiasm. An ugly note scrambled onto the princess' erhu when the king made his entrance. This cause a scowl to form on the girl's face. Her eyes were still closed as she stood up but then opened them with such ferocity that even her own father slightly shivered, mostly out of excitement rather than fear though.

"Your new bodyguard has arrived."
"So I've heard."
"Here he is!" The king then placed a hand on the boy and shoved him into the room as if he was a puppy. Anai's light green eyes watched the man that her father shoved in. Upon first glance he seemed rather frail, even more so than she appeared. Many thoughts and criticisms were flowing between her mind and her mouth, "Rather small isn't he? Compared to all the others that have appeared before me. Not much protection in clothing, and the blindfold? Well at least it's a simple blindfold compared to mechanical four arms, a robotic helmet, or even stilts." She gave a slight shudder when she said stilts. "Anyways why wear the blindfold? Afraid to see the world as it is? Oh wait let me guess so your senses are heightened from the lack of one? Pretty typical, but hopefully more effective than a samurai's honor. Honestly unless you see the things I see, the blindfold provides no real strength." Her eyes were as cold as her words, staring down the boy, waiting to hear what he has to say.

Rantos Rantos

The comment about Wulf losing his tongue was disheartening, but nothing that would stop Wulf after he had come this far. Although he was curious what the king meant when he said that. Wulf followed, taking a few of his belongings with him from the horse before he let them take Beo to the stables. Wulf took Ebony: his giant crusher sword and a sack that held a thin bed roll and plenty of dry meats. He put Ebony on a holster on his back, and carried the sack with his open left hand. "Treat him gently, and make sure to pet him plenty, he gets lonely quick." Wulf requested of the guard as he took Beo away. Beo followed willingly, but looked back at Wulf with a lonely gaze.

The king made another strange comment and now Wulf was growing weary. Along the way he kept on implying that Wulf wouldn't even last the night. Wulf wasn't the most tough looking swordsman on the block but he certainly had more credibility then the king was giving him. After the third or forth comment Wulf began tuning the king's words out, not out of disrespect, but because each comment made him more and more anxious. The two walked further into the castle and soon Wulf's ears were greeted by the sound of music, an instrument rang out in an alluring way. An instrument that Wulf could not name sang the tones to a somber melody. Yet despite the melancholy Wulf found it a lovely song. As the two went further along the sounds became louder, leading the boy to only one conclusion.

The two entered a room and Wulf looked upon the princess, lifting his blindfold to get a better look. He could see the fierceness in her eyes and began to realize why the king might have inferred Wulf's immanent demise. Before Wulf could reconsider the job the king pushed the boy into the room, and Wulf found himself face to face with what could have been the physical embodiment of horror. The princess began scanning Wulf up and down before giving her cold comments on his appearance. The girl had a silver tongue that cut like a knife as she began to poke fun at Wulf. The princess finished her tyrannical rant by questioning Wulf's blindfold.

"W-well you see, quoting my Mentor. Warriors and humans alike rely too much on their eyes. I use the blind fold to... train my other senses?" Truth be told years of using the blindfold had helped to heighten Wulf's other senses. If he wanted to he could fight completely blind and still pose a threat. The enemy couldn't use his eyes to trace where he would hit next either. There were a few other benefits to the fold, but Wulf didn't have the wherewithal to explain. Above all though, Wulf's ears were his best tools, his uncanny hearing allowed him to see without looking.

"Princess... if it's not too much to ask, could you play that instrument again? I don't mean to tell you what to do, but I really enjoyed listening to it on the way here..." Wulf stood stiff, being careful not to move, as if trying to not wake a sleeping dragon before him.
Life. Life.

"A blindfold will only help you reach a certain point. You are a human after all," the princess muttered as her eyes wandered away from the boy and moved to look at the space around him. The king was standing silently next to the servant who had not left yet. His fists were clenched and eyes were wide with excitement as he watched the two youngsters interact. But then Anai's eyes glared up to her father. The king didn't need words to tell him that she did not want him here. He gave a slight bow of his head to her and walked out. The servant followed after him as well, making sure to slide the door close when they both left.

"That's the first I have heard anyone asking me to play my erhu, at least in this world. But I might as well continue since I was rudely interrupted." She walked over to the other side of the room and slid the glass doors open. "I might as well open it for others to listen." At this point the princess wasn't really talking to Wulf or anyone in particular, her eyes looking outside. A few minutes passed where she stood there watching the outside. Finally she gave a slight nod in the direction of the plants outside and sat down on the floor of the room.

Then softly she glided the bow across the thin, stringed instrument producing a timbre of loneliness. She closed her eyes once more as she played her melody. As her song progressed a sudden strong gust of wind entered the room. The princess continued playing still, not fazed by it. The wind almost felt as if it was dancing in the room, but quickly died out when it came close to the new bodyguard. Once her song came to an end the princess opened her eyes to find the room decorated with an assortment of leaves and petals scattered all over the floor. She released a sigh and placed her instrument down next to her. "Tell me, Mr. Oswald what do you know about me?" Princess Anai asked, finally acknowledging his presence.

Rantos Rantos

Operation befriend the Demon was now underway.

It was clear to Wulf this girl wasn't the normal breed of cold and calculated. She had an aloofness to her that was in another league when compared to others. Wulf was no stranger to harsh words, but this girl spoke dragon fire. Anything he could do to earn her favor would be a good step in the right direction. When she agreed to play her erhu once more Wulf felt relief, hopefully this would be enough to at least start forging a good relationship. After all, Wulf couldn't have the girl he was going to guard hating him. Before she played she opened the window, but then she simply stood there, looking out in a way that worried Wulf. What was she looking towards?

The princess began playing and instantly the room rang out with the somber tune that Wulf found himself enraptured with. She was a good player, but more then that it was a beautiful melody. Wulf found himself with his eyes closed, enjoying the melody for everything it had to offer. He heard the tones dance throughout the room, and the occasional dissonant cord dance within himself. He heard the gust of wind which alerted him enough to place a hand on his blade and look around the room. It truly was just a gust of wind.

The music stopped, and Wulf couldn't help but to find himself clapping softly for the princess's good show. He would have to get her to play again, maybe as his payment for the job. But a more pressing matter was at hand, the princess asked Wulf a question, and Wulf had to make sure he didn't ruin anything between them with his answer.

"Well..." He began as usual. "I know that you are in danger of something, enough so to have someone else come in to protect your life... you play very well... you are, v-very pretty." Wulf wasn't sure where that one came from, but he was just listing off what he has observed since coming into this castle. "You seem very reserved." Wulf took a seat, placing Ivory on his lap as he sat cross legged, he had to adjust a bit as Ebony's size made it a bit hard to sit. "What would you like me to know about you?"
Life. Life.

Her head turned when she heard soft clapping from the boy. It was an odd sound to hear from a human. She didn't receive it often, mostly from her father (which really sounded more like thunder). But then she waited for the boy to answer her question. His answer was not too far off from how the previous bodyguards answered. She cleared her throat, preparing herself for the generic explanation she told only those who were under her service. But she decided to take a different approach with this bodyguard.

She lifted her hand and gestured for him to come over to where she was at. Princess Anai turned herself to face the open doors and out to the scenery in front of her. "Take your blindfold off and look out to the plants over there," she pointed into a specific spot on the shrubbery, but of course to anyone but her it would seem ordinary. "Tell me do you see anything?" but already knowing the answer she continued with her explanation, "No. You wouldn't see anything. But right at the spot I pointed at is a very small tengu. Are you familiar with tengus? They are Japanese supernatural beings, or really spirits. Most appear in the form of a crow wearing what I say are hideous masks. Oh look there I just made it mad now." Quickly the Princess stood up and slammed the glass door closed. Right after she closed the door a sudden thud sounded against it. "Spooky isn't it?" her eyes glanced over to the boy, "A sudden sound but there's nothing there. Do you see where I am going with his Mr. Oswald?"

Anai lowered herself to sit again on the floor, "I can see spirits, Mr. Oswald. All kinds of spirits, which even means the more powerful beings. For example the golden dragon that is our family crest. Turns out he is a very powerful being that hardly partakes in the human world. But a few years ago he made an appearance. In the Ryo War. You're familiar with the Ryo War, yes? Where an army of small numbers was completely wiped out by one of superb strength when all of a sudden a golden dragon of immense presence annihilated the winning army." She paused for a moment to take a deep breath and continued, "That very dragon is the one I spoke to that day of the war. I was able to speak to him because I can interact with spirits, Mr. Oswald. And because I can speak to them means I can also talk to those spirits of great power, like the golden dragon. Rulers of other nations desire power and will get it by any means. This is the very reason why I require a bodyguard, Mr. Oswald because my ability is in danger."

Her eyes then focused on the boy with a rather dull expression, "If you have any questions please ask them now. I'd much prefer if we get as much as we can get done in one day. Meaning I need to know if you are wanting to further pursue this or to leave."

Rantos Rantos

Wulf was afraid that she would find some way to ridicule him by his answers, that some how she could fine even more reason to belittle him. Much to his satisfaction, she only asked him to come and look out a window, to tell her what he saw. Wulf looked out, he saw nothing of interest, but before he could tell the princess that, she spoke again. She told him that she could see spirits. This puzzled Wulf, but before he could ask the princess any question there was a thump on the window. Before the sound of the slam could fully dissipate Wulf had his sword drawn and pointed at the window. Yet, there was nothing there, but Wulf was sure the had heard a banging. The princess asked if Wulf could see where she was going with this topic, and Wulf nodded his head in agreement before putting his sword away.

Then came the history lesson, and the real reason why he had been summoned. It was quite a bit to take in all at once, but Wulf understood what she was telling him. One thing above all struck him the most however. The princess had said her ability was in danger when truly "Princess... aren't you the one truly in danger here?" Wulf was more than likely getting hung up on the small details, something he was guilty of doing often, but the way she said it did catch his interest. "I guess I only have one question, princess, if it's all the same to you I would like to be by your side all day." Wulf may not understand much about spirits or her ability or if either are truly real, but what was real was that this girl's life was threatened, and Wulf held the solution to fix that, he couldn't just say no.

"Princess, from the moment I started my venture here my sword was yours, now that I'm here, nothing has changed. If you would allow me the honor, I would love to guard your life." Wulf bowed before the princess as he gave his promise. Wulf was a bodyguard, but above all he was a man of his word and a man who could not refuse another. For better or for worse.
Life. Life.

Anai watched his expression expecting shock, bewilderment, or judgment. Usually at this point was when most of the bodyguards left, but instead this one stayed back. And he even asked a question, an odd one at that. She gave a small huff of laughter, one that wasn't all bubbly or anything like that, but rather one of disbelief. "I say that they want my ability, because they could care less about my well being. As long as I'm alive, even if that means barely, they can use my ability." Her eyes wandered towards the garden again at this point. She didn't feel bad thinking ill-thoughts of others.

Then the new bodyguard pulled out another surprise. He bowed before her and confirmed his position. Anai's attention focused back on the bowing figure, one of her eyebrows raised up with curiosity. Despite how awkward the boy appeared he seemed true to his words. None had made it this far so now came Anai's personal test. "I can see that you are very serious about this so I want you to promise me one thing. Whether you accept it or not will determine if you are fully hired." The princess cleared her throat a bit then proceeded, "If there ever comes a time where a spirit corrupts my body do you promise to end my life?" Once again her eyes were watching the boy intently.

Rantos Rantos

There was a bit of a personal connection that Wulf now felt for the princess, a pity of sorts. It was unfair, that was the only way Wulf could put her situation. He had been hired many places all across the world, had heard many stories, but if what this girl was saying was true, her's was the most unfair of them all. Then came the princesses final question, a question that truly shocked Wulf. To take the life of the one he was to protect was unthinkable. Wulf did not move, he was still bowed, he hesitated to answer because he had to think. He thought about what Mentor would say. Without doubt she would agree on the spot, she knew how to do what needs to be done after all. That answer didn't sit well with Wulf, so he thought about what Mother might say.

"I promise, that if that time comes, I will find another way." It was something Wulf could not promise. The boy had no qualms taking a human life, but his discomforted laid with taking away her life in specific. Wulf rose from his bow and took off his blindfold completely so that he may look at the princess without obstruction. "But if no other option would present itself then I would make sure it would be quick, and painless." There was his answer, and Wulf would stick by it. However he didn't plan on having the princess meet her end by his blade.
Life. Life.

She could tell that some pity fell onto the boy's shoulders from the silence he held as he took in her answer. But then she watched as he hesitated to answer her promise. This was something Anai was adamant on. The spirits were nothing to play with. The princess was slightly displeased with his answer at first but when he took off his blindfold and finished with what he had to say she stared deep into his eyes to make sure there was no hint of deception. His eyes were of a light color too and just for a moment Anai was thinking maybe he could see spirits too, but it was a foolish thought of course.

"Over time you will understand why I proposed this promise to you. Although I do wish that it does not come to it." As soon as she was satisfied with his answer she stood up and straightened her yukata. "Now that you are officially my bodyguard we must notify my father. And looking at the time we shall do it over dinner. You are free to familiarize yourself with the castle. You do not need to worry about intruders coming into the grounds of the castle. They would never make it past the walls," her eyes looked out to the wall that stood high and proud around the perimeter of the castle.

Rantos Rantos

Much to Wulf's surprise, the princess accepted his answer. The boy half expected the princess to refuse his services and have him leave. Relieved, Wulf put his blindfold back on and listened to what the princess had to say. She told him to adventure around and explore the castle and although Wulf would rather had stayed by her side she assured him that the walls were safe. He had no reason to disbelieve her, and learning the lay of the land could prove useful. "I will be back soon princess, if anything happens call for me, I'll be able to hear you." Then for extra measure Wulf tapped his ears, smile and left the room. Carefully he closed the door to her room on his way out. Once the door was closed and Wulf was out of sight he sighed with such ferocity that surely even Anai could hear the boy's immense relief to be out of that room. Nothing against the princess, but the intensity that woman exuded was weighing on Wulf the entire time.

Truth be told he was a bit happy to leave that room, if only for a moment. Wulf wanted to becoming friends with the princess, as that would make his job much easier on both of them, but he could currently only handle so much of the fierce woman at a time. Wulf began walking though the castle, making sure to create a mental map while he traversed the many halls. It wasn't as daunting as other castles in terms of size, but that was fine. Wulf found the smaller size of the castle quaint. That being said though, a castle is still a castle, and Wulf found himself getting lost many times.

In time the boy found himself outside in a yard devoid of others. It was quiet, just as Wulf liked it. Through the silence he could hear the faint murmurs of the wind, the evening song of the birds and the mellow buzzing of the waking insects. Once Wulf had closed his eyes all the sounds merged into one symphony. He could hear everything.
Life. Life.

Anai watched as her newly appointed bodyguard walked out of the room, reluctantly at first, but eventually walked out heaving out a sigh as soon as he shut the door. The princess was a little irked when he tapped his ear indicating that he can hear, "Does the one wearing the blindfold think I'm blind?" She also released a sigh of her own. Sometimes it was difficult burdening herself with keeping up the personal wall she has built. The only one who can ever climb it is her father.

As soon as she heard his footsteps disappear, Anai walked back to the glass door and slid it open. Instead of sitting in the room, this time she sat on the wooden walkway. She rolled back the sleeves of her yukata and loosened it up. "Ugh this hideous outfit is too tight," she murmured.

"Hey Princess! What was that earlier about my mask? You call it ugly!"
Princess Anai turned her eyes over to the same tengu she spotted earlier, "But it is hideous."
"Why youuuu!" The little tengu began pulling up his sleeves as well, but was stopped by a small fox. "Sorry Princess! Excuse Ko. He's always mad at something," the little fox managed to calm the tengu down and bowed to Anai.
"It is alright. I am at fault for calling it hideous. Perhaps I could make you a mask, Ko?"
The tengu had his arms crossed but when he heard the offer of a new mask his head turned a bit in her direction, "Will it look super cool?"
Anai smiled when she heard his question, "Even more than cool. It'd be the scariest mask out there." She beckoned for the tengu to come to her so that she could measure him.
The tengu's attitude immediately switched and he instantly flew over to Anai, sitting on her lap calmly as she began looking over him. Meanwhile the little fox that sat close by asked Anai a question, "Princess who was that man you were speaking to earlier?"
Anai had almost forgotten about Wulf, "Oh the boy? He is my new bodyguard."
"Why do you need a bodyguard when you have us?" the little fox asked as he stood up on his hind legs and began punching the air with his tiny paws.
The princess laughed as she watched the little fox try to appear fearsome, "Tai I know I have you but I don't you guys getting hurt for me. You guys have nothing with the humans."
The small fox sat back down and sighed, "If only there was more we could do for you Princess. Like what Ryuko did." But as soon as the fox said the name he knew he made a mistake. He turned his head back quickly to see Anai's head hanging and her eyes closed. "I'm sorry Princess! I forgot about never mentioning his name."
"It's quite alright, Tai," she sighed opening her eyes up once more with just a few tears rolling down her face. The two spirits looked at each other then back at Anai with sympathetic eyes.

Rantos Rantos

It was official now, Wulf was lost.

Until now Wulf had been good about creating a mental map of the castles halls. For only a moment the boy had forgotten to remember the lay of the land and found himself lost in the foreign beauty of the castles architecture. Taking a second glance Wulf noticed that even the hallways had immense attention to detail. Wulf continued down the halls, truly admiring every small detail of every room and every hall. Wulf lost himself in his exploration, unable to even keep track of the time until his eyes wandered out a small window to see the sun as it began to fall bellow the hills. Dinner would be soon, he would have to get to the dining hall by himself. The only problem was he didn't know where he was.

No matter how ornate, every hall looked the same. In a panic Wulf ran franticly up and down the halls that were strikingly similar to one another. The boy was in a panicked state, nearing tripping over himself with every hurried step as he tried to make sense of the maze like structure of the castle. He felt like a small child lost, and just like a small child he was close to tears. It took all his will power to resist yelling for the princess to save him. The worst part was this wasn't Wulf's first time getting lost like this within castle walls, and it was far from his last.

The lost boy's run had became a walk as he began to lose faith in ever making it too the dining hall. Maybe he would be lost in the halls forever, condemned to starve and suffer in the never ending hallway! Just as all hope seemed lost however, Wulf heard the voice of the princess, he followed and soon found himself before the princess's door. At last, salvation, surely she would know the layout of her own castle. less they both starve. Wulf was just about to open the door, but something about the voice beyond stopped him. It was undoubtedly the princess's voice, yet it sounded so different then the one he knew. She sounded as if she was almost happy, almost. Did Wulf have the wrong person? Deciding it best to take the chance Wulf knocked on the door.

"Princess? I'm here to escort you to the dining hall?" Truth be told, he need the princess to escort him more then she needed him to do it. But Wulf would rather she didn't know he got lost on the way.
Life. Life.

When a knock sounded on the door from across the room, the princess and the two spirits turned their heads towards the sound. Quickly the princess began wiping her tears away and the two spirits fled. She fixed up her yukata as she stood up. Her head turned a bit to see where the spirits went, a small smile came onto her face when she saw them poking their heads through the bushes. She walked back into the room and closed the glass door behind her. Anai looked up at the clock that hung on the wall. It was 5 till dinner. She took a deep breath and fixed her hair and face a bit before opening the door, not really making eye contact with the bodyguard. "Let's go," she whispered turning her head away from Wulf and began making her way towards the dining hall.

"Ah Mr. Oswald! I see that you are here which means you must be my daughter's new bodyguard!" the bear king was quick to grab the boy into a large hug as soon as he walked into the dining hall. But as he held him the king managed to whisper a threat into his ear, "Try anything with my daughter and I'll be sure to make that blindfold truly useful." Once he got that out the king dropped the bodyguard and clapped his hands for the servants to prepare the table.

The king sat himself at the head of the table and Anai sat on his left side. King Dimasas indicated that Wulf sat on his right side, not really giving him an option. "Ever tried quail stew? The Ikale village is known for the stew. Come eat."

Rantos Rantos

Wulf very willingly followed the princess, this time making sure not to get lost in the myriad of intricate designs the littered the walls. This time Wulf made the conscious decision to commit the route to memory. Wulf made it a point to walk behind the princess the whole way, if only to hide his growing blush as he realized how simple the route to the dinning hall really was.

The two finally made it, and Wulf could smell the food being prepared not too far away. He could smell animal of some kind, which made him happy, meat always made him happy. Wulf had become so distracted by the smells that the king's hug surprised him, it was a pleasant surprise though. At least until the king whispered a threat into the boy's ear, one that quite honestly made Wulf shiver from his core. With a father like a mountain, he began to wonder why the princess needed a bodyguard in the first place. The king released him, and Wulf took his seat next to the king. He was given his food, although it was not what he had expected. Whereas Wulf had expected meat, and plenty of it, he had gotten bits of meat in liquid. While it did smell amazing and Wulf wasn't one to complain, he was hoping for something a little more, solid.

"Um... I have never heard of the soup, it looks amazing! I'm guessing the meat is the quail? If it's not too much to ask, sir, could I get the animal in it's whole?" He didn't want to seem rude, so after Wulf has asked the question he began eating the soup. He hummed with pleasure as he consumed the first spoonful, then began to drink it directly from the bowl. Wulf finished quickly and looked back at the king.

"Amazing! Is this some kind of bird? Could I get a whole bird please?"
Life. Life.

Anai watched as Wulf quickly consumed the stew, appearing slightly nervous sitting next to her father. It almost seemed like he was trying to stay on the king's good side. King Dimasas saw this as well and decided to take advantage of the situation. "Ah so you like the stew, my boy? I'm glad to hear that! Yes the meat is quail and no you cannot have a whole bird. Only one quail is used for each stew since quails are highly respected in our culture. But aside from that I'd like to tell you the secret ingredient for the stew. Want to take a guess at what it is?" the king's eyes were mischievously shining. Anai took this as a good sign in that her father was taking a liking to her new bodyguard, but her face was slowly falling when she realized where his questions were going. Before Wulf could answer and Anai to interrupt, the king answered, "It's the urine of the quail."

Anai's eyes closed afterwards out of exasperation and embarrassment. Despite all that her father has gone through his humor was still as horrible as ever. Before Wulf could believe the king's answer Anai corrected her father. Her eyes opened up once more and glanced up to Wulf, "Excuse my father. He is teasing with you. It is not urine that is cooked in the stew. In fact it is the blood of the quail."
"Aw Anai why did you tell him?"
"Because you are to be a respectable king."
The king clenched at his chest dramatically and leaned his head back with his other hand on it, "Aw Anai my dear. As cold as ever~"
The princess rolled her eyes at her father's actions. She kept silent for the rest of dinner, eating in paced, small bites. Meanwhile King Dimasas directed his attention to Wulf, "Now onto a serious note. Tomorrow we will be hosting a festival. Many nobilities of various nations are coming. I want you to be at your best tomorrow. If you wish you can speak to the guards around and see what our position of protection stands around the castle. Since you are an accredited bodyguard I'll allow you this one opportunity to prove to me how good you are. You can order my guards around for tomorrow night."

Rantos Rantos

It was a bit disappointing that Wulf wouldn't be able to partake in the whole bird, but if the quail was a respected animal than Wulf would honor that. Although he was a bit curious about what it was made of. Maybe he could make some for Mentor and Mother, he knew the two of them had an even greater appreciation for meat. The king leaned in close and Wulf made sure to listen well, even going as far as to bring his ear closer to the king so that the secret ingredient could be heard better. The answer to what the stew was made of socked Wulf, so much so that he almost involuntary ejected the soup from his stomach. Wulf had to try hard to not dry heave, but hearing the king say such a thing was much too jarring for the boy to handle.

The princess soon piped up as Wulf was still recovering, telling him the soup was made of blood as opposed to urine. Wulf wasn't sure which of the two sadists to believe. Blood was the lesser of two evils so he went with believing the princess, but was hardly happy about it. Watching the two interact with one another however quickly took Wulf's mind off what they had said. They seemed to have a good relationship with one another, one that made Wulf happy to see. He even laughed a bit upon seeing the king's over the top reaction to what his daughter had said. However the time for jokes seemed to end rather soon as the king began speaking of a serious matter. He was to do his job at the festival, which sounded easy enough. Wulf was always looking his best, maybe Ebony could stand a polish but Wulf's clothes always looked fine. If only because the color often hid the myriad of stains on it. The hard part came as soon as the king mentioned commanding his castle guards. Wulf was a fighter, not a leader, if anything up till this point he had always taken orders, but now he was to give them. The boy did a good job hiding his trepidation towards the task, but how long would his brave face last.

"Of course sir. I-I will guard with vigilance." But the real question was how to lead with confidence. Wulf would have to meditate on that. But for now he had another job.

"Would you mind if I requested to take refuge in your daughter's room during my stay? If it's all the same with you my lord I typically don't leave the side of the one I am tasked to protect. And at night is the perfect time to strike so the closer I am the better. Does that make sense?"
Life. Life.

King Dimasas knew it was an odd task giving a bodyguard the authority to reposition his guards. But from past experience a bodyguard and the guards often weren't in unison which resulted in conflict to fulfill their duties. So as another test, yes another one, the king wanted to see how Wulf handle the guards. And also to see how his own guards will tolerate the bodyguard. In a way the king was testing the waters of the security to his palace, as a way to see if changes needed to be made.

Anai for once didn't object to her father's plans. They both watched him to see how he'll react to the order. Wulf took it with a brave face on. But Anai's eyes widened a bit when he heard Wulf's request. Her eyes moved towards her father to watch his reaction. It did make sense for Wulf to sleep close to her, but she wasn't sure if that was how her father was going to see it.

The king was staring Wulf down as soon as he heard the bodyguard's request. "At night is the perfect time to strike..." the king mimicked at first then added his thoughts to it, "The more the reason for you not to sleep with her!" King Dimasas stood up from the table with that statement. Anai was slightly confused at first when she heard the king's response. But then she pinched the bridge of her nose when she understood how the king totally misinterpreted what Wulf said.

The princess too stood up. She walked around the table to block her father's view from Wulf knowing that the only way to reason with him was to break his eye contact from his target. "Dad you surely do not believe he meant that request in any other form besides as a tactic of protection. Honestly I am capable of taking care of myself Dad. But I am vulnerable at night for someone to come and take me."
"But but then let me slee-"
"No you have to stay in your chambers. It'd be risky for both of to us be in the same room." Anai watched as King Dimasas began calming down as he listened to her reasons. Once he was completely settled he sat back down with a sigh.

Anai also released a sigh once he backed off, but quickly turned herself around to face Wulf, "You are correct in that it would be reasonable for you to reside in my room while you are here. But I shall have a curtain of beads between us just so my father can be reassured that you'll do nothing more than protect me. Is that fine with you father?" Anai looked back at her father, ready for him to try and disapprove the idea. He lifted his head ready to fight back but when he saw Anai's eyes he backed off, "Alright that should be fine. It is time I start trusting you Anai."
"Thank you," the princess whispered with a slight bow. She lifted her head and looked over to one of the servants, "Please start setting up the curtain of beads in my room."
"Yes ma'am."
"Now that that has been settled I shall now go take a bath. Please do not do anything outrageous while I'm gone," Anai sighed as she began walking away with one of the other servants following after her. King Dimasas watched as she walked away and whispered mostly to himself, "Ah...she's all grown up." His eyes then turned over to Wulf once more, "Since she has decided upon herself to allow you in her room I will go along with her decision. For the meantime while she is in the bath feel free to take one as well. You can ask one of the servants to guide you to one of bathrooms." With nothing more to say the king stood up and took his leave from the dining hall.

Rantos Rantos

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back