The Omen Star [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zilfer

Mistwalker
Title: The Omen Star

Game: Dungeons and Dragons 5e

Player Count: 4-6

Description: Should be a combination of Adventure + Cityscape + a bit of mystery. The premise of the game is that all the player characters are sentenced to ‘The Pit’ which is a tradition in where the city of Highwall throws criminals into an ancient dungeon through a hole on a large plateau outside the city. This is instead of doing a straight death penalty, though it’s pretty much seen as the death penalty since ‘no one’ makes it out alive save for a few very rare cases. If they survive they are cleared of all crimes. It is during the last sentencing where due to a technicality the party is the last group to be sent to this, and a new ‘star’ has appeared in the sky which then sets about weird happenings around the world as they exit now ‘free’ of whatever past haunted/dogged/ or otherwise happened to get them to end up there. They may pick up something interesting in the Pit that has remained forgotten as well.

Character Creation: Point buy 27.
Level: 3 (milestone)
Class/subclass: All the one’s in the currently released books. I also allow the Blood Hunter.
Race: Pretty much all the standard races are open, along with a lot of them from the other books. Ask me about them and I’ll let you know.

House Rules/Game Style:
* I don’t use flanking rules.
* I do use critical fumbles on skill checks.
* Drinking a potion is a bonus action.
* There may be a few more left over things from my Pathfinder/3.5e days that my brain likes to assume is a ‘given’ in 5e.

Other:
Generally, it’s a requirement for the character to be convicted of a crime to get them sentenced to the Pit. Now they could easily be framed for such a crime as well. The idea is the character’s are people down on their luck, and they’ll be starting from scratch. Don’t worry about starting gold/equipment since you won’t have it at the start of the game. The game would be starting with the final moments before being thrown into the pit with maybe a little preamble.

A quick little primer for the world…

Highwall is the center of the trade world, with the largest walls known to have been built. An impressive feat for a civilization that has long past. Highwall’s king rules all the lands nearby up to the ocean which resides to the east, and across it the eastern lands are a strange place that accept undead as part of their culture. Trade is tenuous with them, while to the north is mountains with very few paths leading to the frozen wastes where lycanthropy is known to run rampant in these lands in recent times. So much that King Alistair has hired a large mercenary company known as the Silverblades to defend his borders to the north from them. To the west is a vast forest that stretches downward and includes many unexplored ruins, and a mysterious phenomenon known as the ‘feylight’ due to its vibrant blue nature. This feylight seems to take people over to some agenda that the kingdom has yet to figure out, except for the fact that it is indeed hostile to the empire. South is a smaller mountain range that holds a kingdom of mostly dwarves, gnomes, and halflings.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Feel free to ask me questions.

Looks like a pretty interesting setup. I'm interested. Could I ask you about whether the character I have in mind would be allowed? I'm thinking Half Elf Rogue, though the ancestry I have in mind is Drow/Deep Gnome.

This sounds super cool, I would love to play a gnome warlock for your campaign. Most likely either a Great Old Ones or Hexblade warlock. If that wouldn’t work for some reason then a gnome Arcane archer sounds equally fun

Last edited:
Ash-6116 Ash-6116 sounds like it would be good. ;) ancestry from Deep Gnome/Drow would work though I have very little thought up about those two races in particular. I would say you'd know vaguely about a few extra things if you're indeed from below the surface though it could be that you just have ancestry from down there.

corielldog corielldog That would be fine as well. :)

I am interested in joining up with your group. I have a fledgling character idea for a human Totem Warrior barbarian, multiclass to druid as he seeks to connect with his spirit animal. Will you be allowing Eberron content? I am seeing conflicting info on the publication status.

S Smokey I don't own way to Eberron as of yet but plan on picking it up soon. (as soon as my stolen CC issue is taken care of in the next week) So yeah, should be fine. I believe it is in a published book ;) You'll have to let me know what's being used from it since I don't own it. ;)

I'm interested in playing. Don't have a particular class in mind just yet. Sounds like maybe we'd need another caster? Or maybe a paladin? Is variant human allowed?

Yes Variant human is allowed.

and that leaves 1 more spot open for anyone interested. I got a topic up but most people are still making their characters so no rush there.

MaxPowerKL5 MaxPowerKL5

Yeah there is still a technically two slots open. Been busy over the weekend though, and I usually have it moving more during the week. They just got out of their first dungeon so you wouldn't necessarily have to worry about having been framed or a criminal anymore. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread