The old RP

InsanEleven

King Allyn the Autistic
The first page of the original RP is below to give an image of the orginal crew. The full thing can be found here

"Far far away, further than any human has ever gone before, beyond our homes, academies and militaries... hence we shall go. What we may meet? We have clues... but those rarely provide enough.

To sketch the situation: it is the year 3487, what we believe to be the birth of a golden age of space travel, many impossible minerals, plants and life forms and in the end we even other intelligent beings have been found. The Solar Empire is rising, fuelled by trade and intellect, poverty and the problem of living space have mostly been solved. Our society has advanced to be a social-democratic republic, with lower and upper senates, their utmost goal to provide for the people on their own and other's planets. It has to be said that some are better off than others, as seclusion and atmospheric conditions might have some people live in terradomes, while others have their homes on planets they can walk about freely... and then there's earth, the shining economic heart of it all, where science and economics are advancing with fast paces still.

Life isn't perfect though, and constant exploration to the dangerous, unseen corners of our galaxy and eventually even neighbouring galaxies have to be done. We don't know what lies out there, it is like what the deep blue oceans and high green jungles were to us in 2000, and the americas in 1500. All we know is that many, many things are left out there, and we will send highly trained groups of stellarnauts into that unknown mass, awaiting the green light for colonisation... or an eternal nothingness.

Today a young new group shall be sent into space, promising, but promising and potential won't cut it in that dark eternity beyond. We can only hope they return heroes, like others have... that is no promise though, and even the concept of hope may not have aged well in this land of technology, we still desire a positive outcome for each and every single one of them.

Let us be optimistic, and say we made heroes today, one way or another."

- Senator Stanislav of the High Earth Courts, 31st of may 3487

j4F1NdZ.jpg

't was a funny note, yes, but they weren't some heroes, maybe a bunch of slightly smart college graduates and some soldiers in a tin can. It was easy to have optimism in a golden cage, though the man had been right about one thing, the galaxy beyond was a dark eternity they even now barely could grasp. Was it an honour to venture there? Maybe. Was it a risk? Certainly. Some were born for adventure though, unable to sit still and advance in science, knowledge and wealth.

For now it was too late to complain, and despite all the wonderful living conditions and abolishment of poverty, earth and the other colonised planets, even the other alien races, couldn't provide for them what the unknown could. Maybe it was only normal for them, as humans, to long to be somewhere else, or even better, somewhere impossible. Now here they were, about to get sent floating in a tin can, and while on their way to the Arid Harbour, the background never seemed to be able to shake off the light of beautifully sinister stars in sky, unexplored and untouched

Computer, generate instruction post #001

This message was auto-generated on 3482/04/12, 5 years, 5 months and 2 days ago in Standard Solar Time

Current date: 3487/09/14

- Upload complete -

Crew of the SSE Lullaby, I commend you for making it on board this wonderful star ship. Soon you will be exploring the vast depths of our galaxy, leaving the Perseus arm and making the cross to Centauris. These exploration mission are of vast importance, as the growth of our empire is halted by the Xyvir for nearly a century now, and even if resources and space are not an issue, our ideals as mankind are. For who are we if not pioneers? Explorers? This is what makes us man, and you, greatest of mankind.

Before you can achieve this status, you will have to meet on Arid Harbour. If you are part of deck command, before the end of October, if solely part of the crew before the end of November. Transport to the colony is provided, but you can travel on your own terms if you so wish. Keep in mind that the launch date is fixed, and those who do not arrive in time can - and will - be replaced. Your accommodations will be set, and further instructions provided by the available members of the Space Division.

We eagerly await your arrival

- End of message -

The audio line shown on the holographic screen died out, the message finished, yet the journey barely scratched. This was merely the prologue, the true story wouldn't start yet, but it was closing in. Whatever was anticipated, the reality would be far more wonderful, incredible... yet also horrific and dangerous.

(DRAGONGAL)

3487/ 09/ 01

Adira looked at the Admiral in confusion. "I'm going where?" The Admiral sighed, leaning back in his large chair in his office. He'd always had a soft spot for Adira, she'd been a good Ensign aboard his ship - even though she'd gotten on illegally. She should have just been a Skyman Recruit, however, she was filling the place of an engineering Lieutenant who'd been killed in an incident with a rather angry tribe. "They're sending you to captain the SSE Lullaby, a scientific ship with the intent of going toward centaurus, then just exploring as much as possible." Adira looked at him, then said, "That's basically a suicide mission. They know that though, don't they?"

Admiral Ford sighed heavily. "Yes. They do. You're one of our best Captains, especially among those who specialize in exploration, and, well... it would help if you weren't around for a bit, with all the legal troubles." Adira relented slightly, saying, "It's not that I don't want to do this. It's that... I have a ship, I have a crew. I mean, they're on leave at the moment and the ship is being repaired, but... Look, I'm not exactly happy about this."

The Admiral replied, "I'm not either. But you've been on probation enough times, and with the current legal issues, it'd be in everyone's best interest. If this crew wants to survive, it needs a good Captain. You're our best." Adira looked to the ground, thinking. She'd proved herself over the three years she'd been in command of the Stargazer, but that wasn't the issue. "This new crew, I don't know what to expect from their reactions. My crew got used to the fact that I've done numerous illegal things, and they agreed to help. They got used to the fact that I'm younger than most of them. We worked cohesively as a team. This new crew...? There's no promise. I'm sure half of them have heard of me, the Stargazer, the battles and discoveries, and probably rumors about my less than legal activities. I have no idea how they will respond." After a pause, she asked, "Do I have a second in command?" Admiral Ford shook his head. "Technically, you do, there's a navigator on board, which makes him the traditional first pick. You'll have to pick, or not, up to you."

3847/10/17

Adira leaned back in her chair. She hated this place, the Arid harbor. Black market dealers were crawling about, illegal happenings were constant, and it was loud and crowded in places. Sure, she'd been in worse places, but this was still ridiculous. She looked down at the tablet in her hand, reading over the list. These were to be her crew members? Interesting mix, to say the least. She wasn't quite sure how they'd all get along. She saw some she knew she'd get along with, but would clash with others. Ah, the military's - oh, Science Division's personality tests were wonderful things. This crew would take some work, to be certain.

3847/10/31

Adira leaned back in her chair in front of a lage circular table. She'd made certain to get a large, silent meeting room to meet her new officers in. Using her name got her a lot of things surprisingly fast. Sometimes having a reputation wasn't bad. She had a tablet in front of her, reading over the potential scheduling options. She'd memorized the profiles of her crew. Now she just had to meet them.

Last edited by a moderator:
(ELVENGARDA)

3487/10/31 06:00:00 SST

Two turquoise eyes opened, sharp and clear, as if he'd been awake since forever. The circuitry in them was still dead though, and to him his vision was blurry, as if he still had to pick up glasses and put them on.

Starting visual systems. Please stand by.

If one looked closely (which they never did) they could see the circuitry light up shortly. Slowly his pupils moved, focussing in and out until they found the perfect stance. Meanwhile his vision turned from too dark to too bright, from focused out to seeing only that little crack in paint on the overhang of his bed. He disliked the process, but it went by quick enough. Not that he should care to begin with, so he ignored his own annoyance.

Visual systems functional. Subject is now allowed to move.

It wasn't like he couldn't move before they finished, but he wasn't allowed to. Don't break protocol and understand instructions. The second rule he learnt. The first one was no questions. The third one no emotions. The fourth one no pain. If he ever broke those rules bad things would happen. Then they would know he was different. Not that there was time to think that over. Immediately as he was allowed to move he stepped out of bed. Right leg first. Left leg second.

With the elegant flow of someone who had done it a thousand times exactly the same he put on his uniform. Spotless, literally. His skin had no melanin, he couldn't develop moles or spots. Instead his skin was infused with nanotechnology that blocked UV, combined with genes of aliens who couldn't develop cancer. Sometimes he wondered what it would be like to get tanned. And then he realised he wasn't supposed to wonder. Rule 5.

His routine was broken by a notification of an urgent message send to him. Normal messages he could decide logically and rationally when was the best time to open, urgent messages he had to open and read immediately. Details of the location the meeting was to be held, one read was enough to store it in his memory. Forgetting was not a problem he had, his brain implants allowed him to store and recall any information he wanted. If deemed necessary he could relay his memories to external sources too. Dismissing the message from his view he continued getting dressed, putting on his shoes, the loops and loose ends of his laces evenly long. On both shoes. After that he put on his beret, staring at his image in the mirror as a check, yet as his eyes gazed back at him he looked for just a split second longer. Turquoise.

3487/10/31 14:50:00 SST

With direct paces, always equal in size, he walked over to the automatic doors of the meeting room. Waiting exactly as long as it took for them to slide open. As he walked in he looked around the room, seeing none had arrived yet except for the captain leaning in her chair. His arms had rested perfectly in the curve of his back, making a square shape with his elbows and shoulders. Without delay he moved one of his hands and saluted her.

"Ma'am Head Pilot and Navigator Saami reporting. I request permission to sit." Requests, no questions. As he talked he looked past her, not yet having permission to be informal either. His voice wasn't loud or stern though as he had often heard other soldiers do, instead he spoke slowly on a decent volume without any emotions. While he did so he recalled information he had stored earlier on her. Captain Adira Rik, previously Captain of the stargazer. Immediately he recalled all further information he had on that particular ship too, and within a split second he had all details he needed - and those he didn't need too - ready.

(DRAGONGAL)

Adira looked up at the very pale lad. This was the INANES they'd had trouble with - half-broken, they'd listed it as. She'd chuckled when she'd read that. He didn't sound broken, he sounded like a kid, a human. Frickin' white-coated lab-rats couldn't see past their "objectives," she was willing to bet. She'd thought it would be interesting to test this INANES among an actual crew. In fact, she already had a test for him. "At ease, Saami. You may sit if you like, seems we may have to wait a bit for the rest of the crew to arrive." She was about to stand to shake his hand,a formality somewhat required by her position, when the tablet in her hand beeped, calling her attention. Someone tried to access her files and failed. Interesting. Either it was one of her crewmates, or it really had been a good idea of the Admiral's to put her on this assignment. "Terribly sorry, I have to clear this up," she said quickly before typing out a message to the Admiral. She didn't mind if it was her crewmates, but if the courts were already looking into her file - and someone was trying to, since the courts could access after they got a warrant of such a level - that could be very bad for her. Even worse if it wasn't her crewmates, and wasn't the courts....

(ELVENGARDA)

Saami turned his head as she was about to stretch out her hand. Unspoken protocol. The only thing he had had more trouble with grasping was figure of speech. No... correct that. The only thing he was supposed to have more trouble with. Concepts came easy to him, direct or not, but they shouldn't. If he wasn't faulty then he wouldn't have to deal with things like feelings and abstract concepts.

When she pulled back her hand he stared at the now empty spot in the air, as if waiting for her to return to it. After about a second he switched his gaze, then decided that sitting down was the next best thing to do.

In silence he took his place next to her. Right leg first. Left leg second. He put his hands on the table, straight in front of him, his fingers spread evenly on both hands. When he was done sitting down he again turned his gaze, but he still did not look her in the eye.

"Ma'am, for better understanding I have to inform you that I do not like or dislike, such terms might cause me to misinterpret instructions." He'd never done that, instructions weren't unclear to him because of that. But they should be, so he should inform her in case it might ever happen.

"I also have no feelings ma'am, so apologies are obsolete. My creators should have provided you with my faults, knowing those will make it easier to work with me." From experience he knew people would apologise anyway, because it was a figure of speech, yet because he shouldn't know what figure of speech was he also shouldn't know that those apologies were. So he should inform her that he had no feelings, but he never liked having to say that. And he liked apologies.

(LUMINESCENCE)

3487/10/31 15:00:00 SST

Rea's motorbike zipped past corners of city streets, under abandoned traffic lights, and through dead fields of grass. She had always been one for old timey things. Her motorbike was an antique over 1000 years old, in surprisingly good condition. It had been a cherished possession, past down through the generations, and it had been well maintained. Rea used it daily. She got many looks from passerbys but she didn't care. She didn't mind whether it was because of her old bike, or because she wasn't following traffic laws, she loved riding.

The dust flew into her face and scratched her helmet. She was singing some old tune she had heard on the radio. Her voice echoed through the city and up into the polluted air. She smiled as her bike picked up more and more speed, causing orange dust to fly out from under her wheels and into a large cloud behind her. This was the last time she was ever going to be riding her beloved motorbike, so she took it to new limits. She was going over 100 mph through the empty field, doing her best to dodge the discarded scraps of metal lying about.

3487/10/31 20:00:00 SST

She waited as two huge automatic doors opened automatically. She smiled and dramatically lifted her motorbike helmet from her head, letting her hundreds of dark curls free to do as they wished. She had walked through the building with it on to make a dramatic entrance, only taking it off once for facial verification. To her dismay, there were only two other people present in the room. She smiled and took a seat in one of the chairs surrounding the massive table. "Hello! Rea Attune, Archaeology and culture. Nice to meet you."

(DRAGONGAL)

Adira had looked to Saami with a glint in her eye. He must not have known quite how far back she'd read in his files. Sure, now he said that, but the innate reactions he'd initially had were there and would be there. Admittedly, she'd obtained the information through less than legal means, but she got it. She didn't go nearly so far back for the rest of them, she'd merely stuck to the assets, medical, and of course training and experience. She set her tablet on the table, having gone through what she needed to. "Sometimes misinterpreting instructions can be good. And I found no faults in the files they gave me, though I read them extensively." This was going to be fun, she could already tell.

Then the next one came in, a young girl who clearly had no military training, not even Space Division training it seemed. "Nice to meet you as well, Miss Attune. I'm Captain Adira Rik, though you likely already know that." The records had shown her to be young, but brilliant in her field, if a bit lackadaisical. Not bad, just needed a bit of training - maybe polishing on formal manners too, it seemed. However, she already took a liking to almost anyone working in the cultures department, so as long as she didn't prove herself to be arrogant, ignorant, rude, or anything like that, the lass was good.

(BOOKWYRM)

3847/9/01

"I hate losing such a good soldier." Commander McRaven picked at his beard, his face turned down in a scowl as he watched the containment team loading Vincent Woods into the freighter heading back to Space Division command. The former SIAD operative was being transferred to the Elite Security Force on the SSE Lullaby due to being decommissioned from service in his old unit. "Woods was a damn good soldier." The officer beside McRaven chuckled slightly. "We have no place for an unstable asset. All the more reason to filter out the old bloods and filter the INNANEs in. They know better than to question authority."

Inside the containment unit Vincent was awake and fully aware, but only for a short period of time between sedative changes. His body had been honed into a efficient tool, meaning sedatives didn't last long in his system. He heard the beeping sound of the new sedative starting to pump into his system. Damn, just when he was starting to wake up. The last thing he thought about was this whole situation. He was being transferred to a Space Division ship to serve in their elite security team. He had never worked with anyone outside of the Outliners or SIAD, let alone seen the world past the border territories. What was it all like?

3847/10/31

"Damn it." Vincent was waiting for his elevator to bring him to the floor where the meeting would be held on. He had been trying to use his old SIAD tablet to research the Captain of the SSE Lullaby only to find that his old clearance had been revoked. "Damn it all to hell and back." He already hated being a norm. Back in SIAD he had access to anything he could have ever wanted. The Empire didn't seem to mind having their best units being able to read any bit of information they could find. But now that he had been decommissioned.... "Adapt and overcome. This is nothing I can't beat.", he sighed as the elevator came to a stop and opened.

Vincent turned down the hall towards the double doors, making sure to stow his tablet and check his uniform. Thankfully his old uniform had carried over. He refused to wear the Space Division's excuse for a dress uniform. He stopped in front of the doors and waited for them to open before walking into the room. His eyes quickly noted who the Captain was, though he didn't recognize the other two faces in the room. But, protocol dictated a salute and introduction. He brought his feet together, stood erect, and brought his arm up into a proper soldier's salute. "Vincent Woods, SI-" he paused to correct himself, "SSE Lullaby Elite Security Force, at your service Sir."

(ELVENGARDA)

Saami turned his head and looked to the Captain. She spoke in riddles, or what should be riddles to him. Smart woman. She was nosy, curious, and there surely was a reason he wasn't allowed to be. Perhaps because nosy people found out things better left alone. Yet it didn't faze him, scientists had tried him before, and he had learnt the rules quickly. He would learn her rules too.

As time passed by he sat still, waiting for the next crew member. That didn't mean he was doing nothing though, and the circuitry in his eyes changed glow occasionally. Mentally he was preparing for the launch, calculating orbits and warps. He would have a whole crew to help navigate, which meant people to check if his internal graphical calculator still worked correctly. His crew would just have to adapt, and then maybe he wouldn't be treated like a TI-89 calculator.

When the woman came in he waited for the captain to introduce herself first, after which he stood up and saluted.

"Head Pilot Saami at your service Miss Attune. As you may have noticed I am an INANES, I request your demands be clear and without hidden intentions as to prevent misinterpretations." After this he sat down again in his perfectly still position, waiting for something to ask his attention. He repeated the whole mantra again when the man came in, his movement not changing by even half an inch.

(DRAGONGAL)

Adira looked up to the newcomer and stood at attention as was required before returning the salute, then saying, "At ease, Mr. Woods. Please, have a seat." This had been a fun profile to read. She hadn't looked too deep into it - he was allowed to have privacy after all. Decommissioned for "disobeying orders", unfit for duty and decommissioned only within the last months. She's actually received a note from his Commander. Odd things, but she was sure it wasn't anything she couldn't handle. She had once dragged her own teammate across three miles while he tried to murder her, after all - ah, the lovely advantages of being the first to find a new plant form - especially a hallucinogen. Of course, Vincent's commander spoke in vague riddles - Outliner types were always like that about anything official, too important to tell the straight, "supposed to be secret" truth. Vincent checked out in her view, he was clearly fit for duty as the ESF for the lullaby. She took her seat again and looked across at the assembled. This INANES seemed to sure want to clearly assert that he was incompatible with human speech and emotion to at least some extent. It seemed they'd have to wait for the next few officers. She looked across the three faces: she didn't see anything that indicated knowing her reputation, though she wasn't sure of Woods - Outliner trained, after all. "I'm going to assume you've all looked over the specs of the ship, as well as the maps."

(BOOKWYRM)

Woods stared at Saami as he took his seat. This was like salt in an open wound. His replacement in SIAD had been one of those test tube bastards, and here was another one on this damned ship that had become his new assignment. Just perfect. Thankfully the Captain had brought up something worth conversing about. Woods pulled out his tablet and brought up the ships layout. He had studied it from a tactical perspective at least a dozen times over. "Aye Captain. I've checked over the entire layout from top to bottom. I've developed a series of scenarios and drills that I would like to present to you when there is time. I believe they could prove the be useful."

(ELVENGARDA)

Saami waited for Vincent to finish his say, paying close attention and remembering carefully. Once he was done he put up his own maps, simply by placing his hand on the table a holographic image appeared of what he was currently viewing. The most important one was the map of the Galaxy Arms, allowing him to explain the procedure.

"Before departure the crew will be put in stasis pods, preventing any harm during the initial warp. Since it is such a big leap I can not give an exact number on how far away the ship will land, so it could be that you will remain in the stasis pods for a few days to a week. The warp will have no adverse effects. After this we will reach our first solar system, where we will decide our definite next star to research. If my explanation was unclear then please say so." He kept his hand on the table for two seconds, awaiting a reaction before removing the maps and returning to his original position. Most of that journey would be over immediately for them, falling asleep here and waking up there. His part would be a bit harder; making sure they actually woke up there.

(DRAGONGAL)

Adira nodded to Woods with a smile. "Wonderful. I'm sure they will be excellent and, well, let us hope they are never needed, but, useful. We'll talk after this meeting's over, if you can spare the time, of course." He was on top of things, this was good. Then again, what had she expected from a "perfect" soldier? Of course he'd take his job seriously and work ahead. Adira did catch him looking at Saami, though. She'd expected some difficulty between the two, though two people who followed orders should get along in theory, it seemed like both of them had issues with orders. Oddly similar between the two - but Outliners didn't usually like INANES unless the Outliner was a higher rank. In her experience, anyway.She looked to Saami. "Alright, that's good. Considering what the inconsistency margin could be, that's not bad at all." Fuck. Adira had expected stasis pods, but she hated them immensely. A week without knowing what was happening? Coming out sore? Potentially - No, that was not to be thought of at the moment. She hid her thoughts, her facial expression staying natural.

(BOOKWYRM)

Woods nodded to Adira. "Aye Captain. I have no engagements after this meeting, so that would be excellent." Dammit. Vince hated stasis pods. Because of his enhancements his mind never truly shut down even in sleep. He was always aware of his environment, giving him the ability to react to threats immediately if needed to. A stasis pod would almost feel like prison to him. His body would be resting, sure, but his mind would still be on, and for possibly a week. He wasn't worried about stasis sickness or anything like that, but the thought of being stuck in that pod for a whole week was enough to bother him some.

(LUMINESCENCE)

Rea had never seen a real INANES in the flesh. Or rather, the frame. She had done some research, but found it boring and concluded early. She was impressed at the capabilities of it. It seemed so realistic and real. She was fooled that it was human when she first entered.

Rea smiled at the soldier who entered. She immediately felt insecure. The fancily dressed man had stood and saluted at the captain, and then asked permission to sit. Whereas she had only said hello and seated herself. She shrugged and figured that the captain and her crew mates knew she had little military or space training, and would give her the benefit of the doubt.

She had never heard of a "stasis pod" prior to this meeting, and suddenly felt inferior to the rest of the crew. Once, again she shrugged it off. Using context clues, she figured out what it might be, and was shaken up. She was mildly claustrophobic, and the thought of "sleeping" in a small, contained space for a week was intensely frightening. Without letting it on, she began getting intensely nervous and sweating.

(DRAGONGAL)

Adira nodded to Woods. She glanced around the table. Rea seemed to need some catching up on some things, the girl had been oddly silent, especially for such a chipper, cheery type. Of course, the point of this meeting wasn't to talk business - that was a mask. They could have figured it out in November, when all of the team was there. They could have figured it all out the day before launch, though she did prefer to be prepared. No, this was all about getting a feel for her crew. Judging them, getting to know them. Her belief was that a team only worked efficiently if they all knew each other well, they didn't have to really get along. To keep conversation going, she said, "Who here has fighting experience?" This was directed to Saami and Rea, not Woods. She knew he'd fought many times. She made eye contact that clearly said that she was aware of his qualifications, but despite it being obvious he should say it for the sake of Saami and Rea.

(BOOKWYRM)

Vincent recognized Adira's look and gave a subtle nod. "I have a full decades worth of frontline combat experience. At least forty successful direct actions raids, as well as having seen action in twenty of threat containment scenarios, among other activities." Woods wasn't at liberty to talk about the various black ops that he was a part of in SIAD, especially those that were run on inner imperial worlds, though no doubt the Captain knew of those at least in passing. His file contained the full extent of his deployment history, even some of the off the record operations. But, this wasn't about blowing smoke up his own ass. "I believe that the security force that has been assembled is of the highest tier quality that we have access to in our Division, and I feel safe to say that our expedition is in the best hands possible to keep it protected."

(ELVENGARDA)

Saami gazed over to the captain when she asked, and then over to Vincent when he answered. He had no decades of experience, honestly he was barely a decade old including the time spend being created. But he had had training, lots of training.

"I have been physically prepared for two years ma'am. I can not disclose the details on any of my experiences. My main proficiency lays with long distance combat; I am a fighter pilot and sniper firstly. My body is faulty and can not take heavy hits." She had read his file, at least to a decent extend he was sure of that, so she knew of most if not all things. Yet his two years of training seemed meagre compared to Vincent's qualifications and even to the Captain's. It was good to let Rea and Vincent know of his strengths, and many more weaknesses. That way they would never be surprised or confused.

(ANAXIAL)

The glow of cigar illuminated the pocketed, grisly face of the Mercenary as he took a drag from that sweet Earth cigar. The ET's didn't make 'em like the good ol' Earthlings. It was a bit of a somber pleasantry however, he knew that Earth cigars, REAL Earth Cigars got more and more rare the farther he went into the outer reaches of the Empire and right now, the Mercenary was about as far as you could go without being called a pioneer.

The room was an office, fancy furnishings, leather coated desk and chair, two bookshelves lining the wall to his right and many ancient books lined the shelves, their backs facing outwards to reflect the silver lettering of their titles, both in languages of Earth and languages of the cosmos. On the opposite wall a helmet, spear, and shield of some ancient alien Empire long disintegrated was on display with a small hand written Eulogy to the armor's origin. The office was blanketed in darkness however, Garrett seemed anxious sitting in the dark, he had the chair pressed against the wall, his head resting against the cool dry wall of the building's interior, his legs stretched out with one hand grasping that oh so precious Earth cigar, the other hanging loosely at his side, a pistol in between his fingers the barrel of which rested just barely against the carpeted floor.

His eyes darted around the room, there was light enough to see the silhouettes of everything in the room, light seeping from beneath the closed door and the window that displayed a bright moon, glowing orange like molten iron. His eyes drifted to the desk and he saw a framed picture of a man he once knew, his arm wrapped around a pretty girl, his hand on the shoulder of a girl no older than 4. A faint smile appeared on his lips before he heard a loud slam down the hall and footsteps approaching his occupancy. Garrett dabbed his cigar out on the desk, the embers melting the leather and filling his nose with the uncannily familiar scent of charred flesh. Tucking the cigar into a small wooden box of six others, which was then in turn tucked into his cargo pants pocket he stood. As he approached the door he checked the hinges, the door opened inward and so he stood on the opposite side of the hinges and just as he took position, the door flung open.

Arid Harbor, a wretched place of crowded slums and criminal kings,everyone looking for their piece of the pie. Unsurprisingly, mercenaries and bounty hunters flocked to the outpost, where the ever watchful eyes of the Empire weren't so watchful and the more nefarious deeds could be slipped by. Naturally, Garrett Marshall AKA the Tin-Can man had been living here for years.

Inside the dusty hovel, a powerful odor of oil and gunpowder filled the small enclosure. The home resembled an abandoned vehicle repair garage more than a home. Various scraps of metal, gears, rotary bands, blow torches and other machinery lay strewn haphazardly about in an 'organized clutter'. Pools of black oil and stains of pools previously cleaned dotted the floor and walls of the abode, in the corner tucked away behind a tool rack and cart of hydraulics was a hammock hanging with two figures entwined in an embrace laying lazily within the hammock. Most notably, was the 10ft tall suit of power armor, pieced together with mismatched plates of metal in various degrees of degradation and grey.

From the tool cart arose a beeping and blue glow from a hand held tablet. One of the figures stirred, a girl with more tattoos than wit and hair cut shorter than her hands length. She reached out of the hammock and grabbed the tablet slapping it down groggily on the bare chest of the second figure, a male with a few scars on his body but many argued it just added to his rogue appeal that attracted the attention of native girls. Jolting awake the male opened his bloodshot eyes and glared at the girl, ignoring the glowing beeping tablet on his chest.

"What the hell Frankie?" He said rubbing his eyes and finally sparing the alarm a passing glance.

"Shut the fucking thing off, that's what. Garrett. " she his name venomously before rolling as best she could to turn her back to him. Garrett looked at the tablet and raised an eyebrow, an empire contract. Hadn't seen one of those since that Incident on Verdoon, never thought an Empire Captain could turn so red.

He didn't say anything to the girl but promptly pushed her out of the hammock and she fell with a harsh scream followed by a solid thud. He chuckled as the girl stood up swearing and cupping her shoulder.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" She yelled as she scrambled to her feet, naked as the day she was born. Garrett gave her a wry smile and threw a thumb at the door.

"Time to move out, babe. Got work to do." He said throwing his legs over the side and calmly jumping the short gap between the hammock and the floor. He hadn't even registered he was standing before a conductor was chucked at the back of his head, scoring a wicked hit and forcing his arm to jolt up to grasp his skull.

"Fu-... goddammit Frankie get the fuck out." He shouted as the girl laughed while putting on a pair of pants and throwing on a vest.

"Screw you, Garrett. I hope you get stranded on that fucking mission." She said as she stormed towards the door.

"You already did!" Garrett shouted at her as recovered from the blow. A smirk spread across Frankie's lips as she opened the door, turning towards Garrett before she left.

"See you when you get back." With that she was gone.

Preparations where made to embark on the Empire mission, he had to make sure he was prepared for such a job, though it seemed simple enough; guard some biologists and an Empire officer while they do some pioneering. How hard could it get? The meeting spot was even in Arid Harbor, not far from simplistic hovel.

Accepting the mission, Garrett opened the power armor suit and climbed inside, running some preliminary checks and tightening a hydraulic valve before closing up the suit, powering on the electronics and taking his first clunky steps into the garage. The shutter door clambering open and Garrett set off to meet up with the others. Some of the newer residents to Arid Harbor may of given him a double take, but for most, seeing a man in a 10ft tall suit of hand made power armor with a harpoon net gun on its shoulder... well, it WAS tuesday.

The heavy footfalls of the cumbersome suit gave purchase to Garrett's approach, everyone who had already assembled into the meeting place could here him coming like someone had knocked over a shelf of metal pots and pans inside a small metal room. The steps gradually got loud, sputtered a bit before the door flung open and the massive suit of armor entered room and the tinted glass of the helmet scanned over the individuals there. He was silent for a moment, watching how they reacted before the glass wooshed open revealing his face.

"So I here y'all need some protection." He said, obviously faking a southern drawl. His eyes scanned the crowd until they stopped on Adira, he raised an eyebow.

She looks familiar...

He winked at her and without an accent said; "Here I am." He struck a 'heroic' pose, smiling with a shit eating grin before a loud pop was heard behind the armor and his smile faded. Following the pop was a loud hissing and a thick cloud of steam spewed from the suit until the left leg gave way and almost toppled Garrett over. Swearing under his breath he reached back around the leg and the grind of steel on steel was heard as he contorted his face in thought, finally he closed the valve that he had tightened earlier and the leg stiffened once again. The Mercenary looked out at the others and forced a laugh.

(ELVENGARDA)

Saami looked up and at the man in armour, apparently not even fazed by the fact that he was ten foot tall or wearing a power suit inside. At the sound of the mechanics hissing and the steam he did react though, and after determining it wasn't a threat he slowly tilted his head while the information in his mind tried to match an explanation. Though the information was found quick, it wasn't instantly, and by the time he was ready to reply the man had already fixed the leg and posed the next question.

"Your hydraulics are faulty sir, I advise you to have them repaired before departure. The SSE Lullaby will leave at the end of November." Peculiar. Many strange types in this crew. But they wouldn't call Mr Marshall a robot, he was fairly sure of that, even if the man currently had a higher percentage of technology than him. Why then was he perceived a robot and the man not? The only difference that his technology was on the inside, and it wasn't that much, only 5,7% of him was metal. His mind couldn't find an answer directly, they rarely did with why-questions. The only questions he couldn't help asking, and he couldn't answer them. Maybe that was the reason he didn't shut those down immediately like he did with all other things he wondered.

While he had already returned to his standard position after talking, something peculiar happened. As his mind started wondering his form seemed slightly off, starting with one of his fingers being just a little bit more spread than the others, but this was easily overlooked as he corrected himself nearly immediately. After a few seconds the process of wondering had pulled him in so far his self-control cracked slightly. Usually it was impeccable, perfect, and this was little more than microscopic dent. Yet it was there. Quickly his eyes flashed up at the man in the armour, not particularly looking at him directly as trying to figure out the concept of him once more. One who wasn't paying attention wouldn't notice, one who was paying attention would see something impossible. Curiosity. And with curiosity came something greater... a spark hiding behind that circuitry, lighting up so shortly it could as well have been a piece of technology, yet it was unmistakable. A soul.

No questions. As quickly as he had dented he had bend it back again. It couldn't have been for more than two dozen milliseconds that his eyes moved up and back down again. That his form broke. And now he showed no sign of ever moving - of ever questioning - as dull and static as he had been before. It was hard to determine if it was because he truly didn't know, or if he was completely denying it. That was if anyone caught it, and if the people that did would question it as more than a slight bug. As long as it would make him fit in their worldview, people would forget a lot of things he did wrong, blaming it on programming faults. It was easier that way.

(DRAGONGAL)

Adria nodded to Vincent. She had to agree, for such a suicidal job, their defense team was damn good. She nodded to Saami after he spoke.A sniper and fighter pilot was a good thing to have, to be certain. And then Garrett walked in in a fucking suit of power armour. Show of force, or was he just that stupid? Based off what she'd read, she couldn't tell, apparently the man wasn't the most mentally stable. Unlike the others, though, his record was like hers: patchy. He didn't have someone hovering about constantly to make the records. But he was a mercenary: he killed for pay. She had to wonder if he even had morals? Did he kill whoever was the target, or did he pick what he thought was right? Tricky. She caught the look; he recognized her. Funny, most recognized her name first, but it didn't matter. She looked at him with an expression that could only be defined as complete, impassive indifference. From the moment he walked in, she looked at him with indifference, perhaps some dourness, which clearly said she was not impressed by his power armour and wouldn't react to it either. Shewanted to roll her eyes, but she didn't show it. "Feel free to take your seat, Mr. Marshall."

Adira had been keeping an eye on the INANES and noted his very slight slip when he looked at Marshall. Had she not been making sure she looked impassive for Marshall's sake, she would have smiled. Saami was proving himself what she'd expected, if only in discreet ways. It seemed her hypothesis was solid, but further testing was required. And it would probably be fun, too.

(ANAXIAL)

Quite the crew indeed, Garrett pointed a finger at Saami and had an open mouth grin as he looked around the room at the others, gauging the reactions to the robot.

"Holy shit, this is the INANE." He said looking back at the pale kid. Staring straight ahead in that uncanny valley way. Garrett tried waving his hand in front of the INANE's face but the clunky suit made it difficult. Grunting in frustrating he returned to a standing position and his torso clicked and popped open, the Mercenary wrenching his arms free of the the suit while his legs stayed in place. The grin returned to his face as he leaned forward and effectively waved his hand in front of Saami's eyes.

"Hahaha look at this thing! That's some uncanny valley shit inn'it?" He remarked jokingly, eyeing the machine like he was looking at a side show freak. "Hey, polly want a cracker?" He asked Saami his grin growing wider. "C'mon little robot, say it, say; polly wants a cracker! " Garrett was relentless and clearly was among the people who believed machines were... well, machines.

(DRAGONGAL)

Adira clearly and darkly said, "Mr. Marshall, please get out of your armour and take your seat." She made it clear that she wasn't going to have him harassing Saami. At the moment, she liked the INANES more than him, but that wasn't the point. This man was unprofessional in every sense of the word, and he'd just proved himself inconsiderate and rude. Luckily there wasn't an open seat next to Saami. Still with a tone that showed she was clearly in command, she said, "He is indeed an INANES, but that is not what we're here to discuss today."

(ELVENGARDA)

Saami stared in front of him the whole time Mr. Marshall was waving his hands. He'd dealt with people like that more often than not, such ridicule wouldn't even deserve for him to break protocol. It took a while for him to actually acknowledge the man, but when he did his reaction was swift, his eyes shooting up and looking him directly in the face.

"Mister Marshall, for all intends and purposes I am a machine of war. Please refrain from ridicule and stand clear." It was the standard thing INANES said after a first violation by a civilian, the programmers knowing that things like this happened constantly. Usually the reminder that he wasn't going to stand down and do what the common folk wanted was enough to have them back up. Androids couldn't hurt or restrain people, INANES most definitely could and it wouldn't have been the first time it happened either.

For further reading see the link given in the first post. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back