• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

The Northern Isle - D&D5e (closed)

Onikmey

The wise fool
Arrtani Ocean - Day 22

The sea was quiet. The taste of salt hung in the frigid air as the twin suns ascended above the horizon. And as the suns awakened, so did the Stormrider. Sails unfurled as a tiefling climbed into the crow's nest. Below decks, a halfling set to repairing a sail as Caolan the druid conjured up their daily rations. The Stormrider was a merchant ship, carrying valuable cargo to the northern Isle of Kal'Haem. Enough food to feed a small city was hiden beneath it's decks, tucked away in barrels and boxes. This would be the last shipment of the year, before the Winter's Run sealed itself in ice and snow.

Captain Shae Perdita scowled in her quarters. They were at least three days from the jagged spires of Winter's Run. Three days. And in the meantime, black clouds gathered on the horizon. Every year she swore she'd retire, but every year she found herself right here. The prize was just too good. Storms would come, ratwings would gnaw, bandits would boast, and winter would bite. But come spring, her ship left port filled with arcane crystals from Gorak Dum. Enchanted Rathi bonework would fill the spaces in between.

And she wasn't the only one seeking the fortune of Kal'Haem. Among her usual crew were six newcomers. A high elven passenger rested in his cabin below, a mage of some sort by the name of Eldoril. A tiefling named Kaz watched for trouble from the crow's nest. And a group of four was hired on as extra help. The four had known each other for years, and agreed to work for Shae until arrival at the port-town of Haemstead.

Interested?
Hey! I'm Onikmey and I'm looking for 4 people who'd like to make a story together. I love D&D 5e, so that's what I'm planning on using. But if i'm honest I like D&D more as a collaborative storytelling device than as a game. I find that rolling dice for outcomes helps to prevent obnoxious plot-armor that we all know and love to hate. If you're down to do some detailed group storytelling, and are ready for a slow but consistent pace, this might be the story for you. I know there's a lot beneath here, but I like to share as much as I can so you have an idea what you're getting in to.

What You Can Expect From Me

As a DM I love to worldbuild, and I'm going to try to incorporate your backstory into the world itself. I'm a firm believer that all actions have consequences, and some aren't known ahead of time. That being said, I promise to do my absolute best to respect y'alls player agency. As your GM, I am not against you. I promise, I'm not here to win against your characters. But I do hope to challenge your characters. As I see it, it's my job as your GM to set the stage and give you the opportunity to shine. I'll do my best for that. That being said, I reserve final say on any weird technical disputes that come up (here's hoping it never comes to that) As far as frequency goes, I am currently very busy learning many new things in the real world. I honestly can't promise a post more than once every week or maybe every 2 weeks if it's a rough time of the year. That being said, I swear that I will continue with this story as long as you all will. I'll also try to let y'all know when I can post ahead of time. That's not to say that I'll be completely silent- I fully plan to read the OOC and communicate with y'all once every day or two. It just takes me a few hours to write anything interesting for the story and I want to give y'all at least semi-quality writing.

What I Expect From You

You must be able to play nice with others. I'm committing to do my best to keep this story going. If you can't work with your fellow adventurers and storytellers than this is going to be a long and uncomfortable story. I'd like to avoid that. As far as writing goes, I want details! Specifics are good. You don't have to write down the name of every street and town that your character has been to, but If I ask you for details you should be able to tell me what your character knows of it or why they don't know of anything. Grammar is important. And as this is a detailed story, I'm expecting a couple paragraphs at minimum for most posts. If you would like to collaborate on a post I wholeheartedly approve but it is not a requirement by any means. As far as posting frequency, I don't expect any more than I can give (so I expect to see a new post from you once every week or two). Communication is far more important to me. If it gets to be three or four days since the last post and I haven't heard from you I get a bit concerned. Please don't do that to me.

Setting and Technicalities

The story is set in Atherai, a fantasy world of magic and adventure. At the start of our campaign, there is no central antagonist or great evil. Instead, there are many groups and factions across the world- each with different ideals and goals. Good and evil are still ideas held by almost all peoples, it just means something different for each group. What is good for the dragons may not necessarily be good for the villagers, and vice versa. While I do use an alignment system, none of you will know your alignments.

The world is vast and diverse, and I'd love it if you helped to make this world with me. Your stories will be incorporated into the universe, so you have a lot of freedom when making your character's backstory. That being said, there are some restrictions. I'm only allowing published materials (so no unearthed arcana), and I'd like all of your rolls to be made on-site. I'm also declaring that there are no "chosen one" stories at the start. You will not be the one foretold hero of the world. You are not the last of your species. You are not the child of a great and powerful otherworldly being. The reason being that it detracts from the group storytelling and makes it about the individual.

I look forward to writing stories with you all! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Hey, I'm up for this, probably as a half-elf rogue. I just want to know, how are you planning to handle battles and such? Depending on the agreed rate of posting, I'm a bit worried that big, multi-round encounters might slow down the pace of the story.

I am here and ready to work, the chosen one of all the gods and hero of the people, I also have clothing made comepletely out of belts, a sword(because all main characters use swords) and have been chosen by the grand shoebob to save the world of *insert generic world name here.*

Jokes aside, I would love to be in for this. I'd suggest being picky on applicants... But dice is barely filled with people anyways.

Quick question, how far advanced are we talking in terms of "fantasy tech?" Mostly, I was thinking of experimenting with the idea of a character that has one arm. And, a gnome tinkerer basically helped build them a functional arm infused with magic. And, thus, their "arcane focus" is in the false hand. It's just for fluff and general curiosity of this type of character in D&D 5e. ... also, if that's acceptable, I'm up for playing a Warlock Archfey Pact character.

Heyo again! It's good to hear from you all ^.^ I'll try and make some official threads in the next few days.

I am excited to see what all characters you come up with. A few specifics for ya:
-I had planned on starting on the ship at level 1, and leveling based on individual and group milestones. If y'all hate that, we can start a level higher, but I feel like those first couple of levels really give you a feel for how all your character's interact with each other. This will begin as a low-level campaign.
-I am open to either a random roll system or a point-buy system so long as we're consistent.
-I require all dice rolls to be on-site. Not that I don't trust you, this is just to keep out that guy. You know the one.
-Official races and classes only. No unearthed arcana or homebrew races/classes.
-There will be a writing prompt of some sort. This is your first chance to solidly create this wonderful world of ours. I'm excited to hear your thoughts and see your writing style.
-I require that your characters know each other fairly well, having some shared history and a willingness to work together. I'll let y'all decide how you wanna go about that.

jaydude jaydude As far as combat goes, I had planned on keeping the roleplay and the dice in separate spaces, so that turns are treated as a writing prompt where you take X action, Y movement, Z bonus action and get W results. I've played under people who do it that way a couple times and while it sounds like it would make the story slow and repetitive, it never really felt that way when it came time to write. Of course I don't expect as much plot development in the middle of combat, but the slow pace helps to capture the importance of small actions in battle. (at least in my opinion.) I also promise to give you a visual map somewhere so that you know where things are.

Idea Idea This is going to be a play-by-post format. Like I said to Jay, I had planned on keeping the IC posts separate from all the maths and OOC shenanigans that happen elsewhere. As far as homebrew goes, I have mixed opinions. I tend to dislike homebrew classes and races. In my experience, they're either unbalanced for the party, too specific to mesh with the world reliably, or better represented by an already standard race/class. I'm most likely not going to accept anything homebrew character-wise. That being said, I wholeheartedly believe in modifying the creatures, environment, and items you find to better fit the world. I'm always open to suggestions as well, so If you think of something fun, I'll do my best to incorporate it into the world some way.

MISTER UN. 0W3N MISTER UN. 0W3N I didn't plan on having too much "high-tech fantasy". At the very least, it wasn't going to be the major focus of the world. For reference gunpowder is only just beginning to find its use in weaponry. Most of the world is still ignorant of it. But Atherai is filled with variety. But there definitely would be unique areas with higher-tech magic, dangerous and rare as they are. I'm excited to see what you come up with. My only concern with the character concept is that functional limb replacements are usually expensive, complex, and typically beyond the capabilities of a low-leveled character. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have planned -it sounds like a lot of fun.

Sounds good standard fare for creation rules. I wonder what type of character to do...

Battlemaster fighter, human with polearm master is likely going to be my choice.

Though... pointbuy or rolling, rolling has a chance to hit the lottery, but pointbuy is safe and i'm a worrywort.

Hmm....

-There will be a writing prompt of some sort. This is your first chance to solidly create this wonderful world of ours. I'm excited to hear your thoughts and see your writing style.
1. Does this mean you'll be selecting who gets to participate based on that?

2.What will this RP's expected pacing be like? (there will be a period when I will have to be gone for about 12 days)

3.What will be the primary group communication? Discord or an RPN OOC?

I'd love to, if this is on-site, and not Discord (I have no opportunity to give enough time with Discord, I'm afraid, but enough for posts - I am more of a guy who gets 10 free minutes every hour, rather than three free hours every day). I was just willing to try out a new character, transferred from another system.

I do have a character question, though. I'd like to take a PS:I background, would you accept this? And can I adjust said background to fit the character's story more - as in, I really think that Inquisitor is the right thing to go with, but instead of being an inquisitor of the specific god's church, I wanted to make him an Inquisitor for a leader of a magicocratic community who revered himself. Of course, in an Inquisitor background it's not directly said one should be under a specific church... but it is hinted at.

Last edited:
Orikanyo Orikanyo don't forget that low rolls can be a lot of fun too.

Idea Idea yes and no. I want you to enjoy the story, and the writing prompt helps with that. I'm looking for people who will put a little thought into their character and their backstory, who are willing to bring an idea forward, who will work with the group on making the ideas mesh. People who want to write a story together. If you don't enjoy the prompt, or if your response seems incredibly out of place, this might not be an enjoyable story for you. If you do enjoy the prompt, your response gives me more of an idea what you'd wanna see in this world.

as far as pacing goes, I really only expect an IC post from you once every week or two. That being said, so long as you communicate with the group ahead of time I'm pretty flexible on posting. communication's a lot more important to me. If you disappear for 3 or 4 days without any notice I get worried.

OOC and dice could be on either, I don't really have a preference. I do want IC posts to be here on RPN though.

kevintheradioguy kevintheradioguy the IC is definitely going to be play by post on-site. I don't expect much in the way of a set schedule, don't worry. I am super hyped for your inquisitor. Can we make the concept work with a published background? I know faction agent is a fairly flexible one.

I'm going to go ahead and mark this thread as closed- we're about at my people limit.

@Idea yes and no. I want you to enjoy the story, and the writing prompt helps with that. I'm looking for people who will put a little thought into their character and their backstory, who are willing to bring an idea forward, who will work with the group on making the ideas mesh. People who want to write a story together. If you don't enjoy the prompt, or if your response seems incredibly out of place, this might not be an enjoyable story for you. If you do enjoy the prompt, your response gives me more of an idea what you'd wanna see in this world.
My question was more about whether someone can be excluded by this writing sample. I'm not a big fan of competing for spots, especially when the criteria isn't open to see. So, please allow me to rephrase the question: If I want to join, will I be allowed to based on interest (and of course will to work with people) or will I have to "prove myself" to get one of a few limited spots?

My question was more about whether someone can be excluded by this writing sample. I'm not a big fan of competing for spots, especially when the criteria isn't open to see. So, please allow me to rephrase the question: If I want to join, will I be allowed to based on interest (and of course will to work with people) or will I have to "prove myself" to get one of a few limited spots?

At the moment, I will take everyone that was in the thread before I closed it. You don't have to "prove" yourself to enter. If something comes up in the response that makes me concerned, I'll send a message and we'll have an honest conversation about it. I don't want you get halfway through the first arc, and then leave because my style doesn't mesh well with yours. Your time and efforts are too valuable for me to waste it like that.

At the moment, I will take everyone that was in the thread before I closed it. You don't have to "prove" yourself to enter. If something comes up in the response that makes me concerned, I'll send a message and we'll have an honest conversation about it. I don't want you get halfway through the first arc, and then leave because my style doesn't mesh well with yours. Your time and efforts are too valuable for me to waste it like that.
Very well then, you can count me in. I can't promise too much post consistency until I'm fully returned from my vacations, but I'll do my best. :)

And so, with that said, if anyone wants to work out some character relationships with me, hit me up in my profile, PMs or discord (Idea#5893 )!

Can we make the concept work with a published background?
Well, technically, the concept does n't say he has to be under the church, just that, quote, "detectives who investigated crimes both mundane and supernatural". I can always become just a hired detective for the said magicocratic bastard, of course if that's OK with you, there's no problem in that.

if anyone wants to work out some character relationships with me, hit me up in my profile
I'd love to. Wait until I figure out how Discord works.

I'm perfectly fine with him being an inquisitor of the magicocratic leader, I just don't want to see the PS:In inquisitor background. I love the idea, I just have to enforce the rules.

Published as in printed. WotC does a lot (like unearthed arcana or the planeshift series) that isn't printed because it hasn't finished playtesting. I don't have the skill to do their balancing for them, so I just ban it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back