The New OOC and Hangout

//starts planning "final exams" for Aegis
I feel like it's safe to assume both Lara and Sam have arrived too late to be attempting any finals to get out of AEGIS. Like, they still need way more time in the classes, yeah?

It's a homestuck meme but I'm considering making it the working title of Episode 5.

Mmm, Discord appears to be shitting bricks on my end. How about you guys?
It's the same for everyone, most likely. Servers are down temporarily. I signed up for their notification for when everything's working again.

Mmm, Discord appears to be shitting bricks on my end. How about you guys?
It's very unstable, trying to connect, disconnecting and then trying again >o<

I managed to say hello on our Server, and then it rebooted...
I know I have a mention to check......

Look man, it's been slow compared to how it normally is. Maybe I should just delete the Discord server and force everyone to talk on here like normal people.
Please don't. :(
It's so much quicker to chat on Discord than it is on here. I love having a Discord channel for each of the RPs that I'm in. Though, some are more active than others.
It allows us to chat about anything, not necessarily RP-only discussions. If we took away the Discord channel, I likely wouldn't be as involved as I am today.

Don't worry! I wouldn't seriously consider taking away Discord. I just get frustrated when I can't remember important conversations when they're so far behind in the chat history.

Also, am I the only one who gets extra peeved by critiques (going over one for my creative writing class), where the professor or whoever questions the logic behind a statement? For example, I wrote in one sentence: "...rolling sideways over the edge of the cliff she’d just climbed."
My professor critiqued this by asking me, "What? She rolls over the cliff?"
And I'm just like, How the fuck would my character roll over an entire cliff?

But... that makes total sense. Rolling over a cliff implies the action of rolling off the edge of a cliff due to the everyday way we use the word "over". It doesn't need to be so specific to make sense.

But... that makes total sense. Rolling over a cliff implies the action of rolling off the edge of a cliff due to the everyday way we use the word "over". It doesn't need to be so specific to make sense.
But like, her question in the critique is really vague. I don't even know if this is what she's going for with it. D:

Plus, my character just climbed the cliff and is rolling over the top to conclude her climbing.

I'm already stuck on another one of her critiques.
Here's what I wrote: "Forcing herself back to her feet, Lana limped to the wooden outhouse near her lookout tower. Looking up at the looming staircase winding around her tower, she instantly felt a dizzy spell overwhelm her. Taking a step backwards, Lana tripped and blacked out just as her head hit the ground."

Do note, that my character has suffered a near-fatal accident in this story and has just spent over an hour climbing and struggling to the tower. I could add in that the fatigue is too much for her, but yeah.

Then here's my professor's critique: "This is considered lazy and clichéd in writing, having the character constantly blacking out or going to sleep. Just have her feeling dizzy… don’t be afraid to stop a scene at an important point – maybe when she sees her tower safely in sight – and then start a new scene when she’s talking to the other character"

But like, my character is in no condition to just poof to another scene and be casually chatting with another character here. I have no idea how to just stop this scene and poof on like nothing significant has happened in between. My character has only lost consciousness once prior to this and that was when she all but dragged herself into a cave before passing out due to intense pain. Then I've started this new chapter to continue the story. This is supposed to be the recovery part of the story.

I'm already stuck on another one of her critiques.
Here's what I wrote: "Forcing herself back to her feet, Lana limped to the wooden outhouse near her lookout tower. Looking up at the looming staircase winding around her tower, she instantly felt a dizzy spell overwhelm her. Taking a step backwards, Lana tripped and blacked out just as her head hit the ground."

Do note, that my character has suffered a near-fatal accident in this story and has just spent over an hour climbing and struggling to the tower. I could add in that the fatigue is too much for her, but yeah.

Then here's my professor's critique: "This is considered lazy and clichéd in writing, having the character constantly blacking out or going to sleep. Just have her feeling dizzy… don’t be afraid to stop a scene at an important point – maybe when she sees her tower safely in sight – and then start a new scene when she’s talking to the other character"

But like, my character is in no condition to just poof to another scene and be casually chatting with another character here. I have no idea how to just stop this scene and poof on like nothing significant has happened in between. My character has only lost consciousness once prior to this and that was when she all but dragged herself into a cave before passing out due to intense pain. Then I've started this new chapter to continue the story. This is supposed to be the recovery part of the story.

Maybe your professor is a jerk?

Maybe your professor is a jerk?
Well, no. I'm just trying to understand her critiques here. I have to adjust my story to some extent so that she'll be pleased with it, but I'm just having a hard time understanding what she thinks is right for the writing.

Well, no. I'm just trying to understand her critiques here. I have to adjust my story to some extent so that she'll be pleased with it, but I'm just having a hard time understanding what she thinks is right for the writing.

All I can understand is that for some reason blacking out isn't something they believe would happen. (Although I think it's perfectly reasonable-)

Users who are viewing this thread