• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic The New Eden Initiative - A Planetary Colonization Roleplay

I've mulled it over a bit and wondered if I could reserve a Physicist? (: Im real torn between fcs but I'll try getting a CS up on the morrow xx

Could I also reserve a therapist spot?
Certainly! But I might cut you off there just so other people aren't scrambling to find archetypes, ha ha.

@ALL, if a specialty is already spoken for, I see no reason why you can't play as a subordinate to the first player, as long as you clear it with them!

Atlus

code by
pomme

Name: Atlus Veridian

Sex/Gender: Male, straight

Description: 6' 2", with a slender build and pensive expression. Atlus is soul aged well before his time. He is not quick to raise his voice in debate, but when placed in a situation where lives depend on his actions he can be almost brutally decisive.

Family:
Screenshot_20211010-072524.pngAge: 28

Occupation: Nurse practitioner with a focus on women's health. Diana and Atlus met and married during their time with the Angels of Mercy.

Description: 5' 6" slender and brown haired. Diana is more outspoken than Atlus and has strong convictions about providing just and attentive medical care for women, especially as conditions for women around the world grew worse during the last few years on earth. When they were approached by the New Eden initiative to spearhead medical care on one of the Colony ships, she initially felt that their efforts were better spent in earth, helping those who couldn't leave. Once she discovered that she was pregnant, however, she accepted that, for the sake of their child, they couldn't pass up the opportunity to leave.

Pre-Colony Occupation: Atlus was a field doctor who worked for the Angels of Mercy, a non-profit organization that sent medical teams into refugee camps on the edge of growing uninhabitable parts of the world to provide medical care. During his time in the Angels he saw unimaginable hardships and he still finds himself haunted by what he experienced.

Specialty: Medicine. Atlus is a trained doctor with years of experience working under very challenging conditions in the field. He can do a lot with very little and is used to treating patients with less than adequet resources.

Character Sketch: The sun was setting, though most people in the city had not truly seen the sunset in at least four years. The grey brown haze of smog and artificial ozone that hung over most of the planet merely went from pale brown slowly into inky black each night. The lights in the municipal apartment were still off, as if no one dared disturb the slow but inevitable death that seemed to hang over everything and everyone on earth. The light through the apartment's one window bathed the stark grey walls a dismal shade of sickly amber.

Atlus walked into the cramped box that served as a living room. In his hands he clutched the only thing that would accompany him the next morning, a worn leather Bible, once dog-eared and we'll read, now merely a container for memories of happier times.

Diana stood by the window, gazing out over the maddening sprawl of the supercity, where tenements stacked upon tenements in a maze of streets and alleys teeming with the struggling remains of humanity. In one hand she clutched a small square of paper, a picture of her late parents, the other rested absently on her stomach. Atlus paused in the doorway, watching her, trying to read the pensive look on her face.

"I found it," Atlus said at last, holding up the Bible. "It was in the bottom of that crate, like you said." An absent smile turned the corner of her lips but she did not turn to look at him.

"I knew you'd find it," she said, her eyes still on the city as lights began to flicker on across the rooftops.

He crossed to her, setting the old book down on the window ledge. As he wrapped his arms around her she leaned back into his chest. He could smell the sandalwood scent of her hair as he felt her slender body sink into his own. He laid a hand on top of hers where it rested against the flat of her stomach.

"Are we doing the right thing?" She breathed. "Is it right to leave it all behind, to never come back?"

"There won't be anything to come back to." he replied, his voice quiet. "Just ghosts."

"I keep thinking," she said, "why do I deserve this when so many others will have to stay? What makes me worthy?"

Atlus pressed her hand gently against her stomach, where a soft swell had already begun to make itself apparent.

"She deserves it," he replied. "If there's even a chance to give her a better world than our parents gave us, we have to take the chance." Diana laid her parents' wedding picture down on top of the Bible and gripped his hand tightly.

"You're right," she said. "We'll do it for this little one." She smiled then, a genuine smile. "You still really think it's a girl?" She said. He shrugged.

"Just a hunch. A feeling, you know? You don't have any strong sense yet?"

"I feel like I don't really trust myself to be sure," she replied. "It's still so new, so unknown. Don't get used to me being this skinny," she said. "You remember the orientation? Were going to age by almost four months in cryosleep, that includes this one," she patted her stomach. "I hope those jumpsuits come in maternity sizes."

Atlus laughed and held his wife close as the unsettling earthy black darkness of night settled over the seemingly unending city. It was the last time, he realized, that he would watch that bleak fading sunset through the haze.

Last edited:
Is there a slot for the Ship's Executive Officer open?

I've got interest in a handful of other roles as well.

Is there a slot for the Ship's Executive Officer open?

I've got interest in a handful of other roles as well.
The ship is fully automated, once it lands its not going to move again. As such it has no crew. I'm looking for characters who have skills necessary to build a new society on the planet.

Whoops. Guess I picked up the idea the ship had a crew from some of the earlier posts in the thread.

In that case, is there a room for any more scientists? A colony should probably have a geologist/xenobiologist.

I know two people have claimed roles kinda like the latter, but Xenobiology's more about understanding biology itself rather than the specifics of animals/plants.

Whoops. Guess I picked up the idea the ship had a crew from some of the earlier posts in the thread.

In that case, is there a room for any more scientists? A colony should probably have a geologist/xenobiologist.

I know two people have claimed roles kinda like the latter, but Xenobiology's more about understanding biology itself rather than the specifics of animals/plants.
Sounds good to me!

Cool. I'll draft a CS and have it up at some point today.

Any thoughts about making a discord for the group to coordinate in?

Cool. I'll draft a CS and have it up at some point today.

Any thoughts about making a discord for the group to coordinate in?
I usually make an OOC thread once people's character sheets start coming in, just because I know not everyone uses discord, but I'm not opposed if that's the group preference.

Alexandra

code by pomme

Mildly stole the above idea from you, heh.

Name: Alexandra Tremaine

Sex/Gender: Female

Description: Alexandra Tremaine is a tall, well-built woman that competes with most men in terms of height. Her attitude is jovial most of the time, but serious when required, and she's known for being a very deliberate woman. Her well-built body speaks to many years of hard physical activity, contrasting heavily with the fact that the woman often has her face buried in paperwork or a computer simulation of some kind.

Family: None.

Pre-Colony Occupation: Climate Geologist - involved in one of the desperate climate remediation projects hoping to restore at least a small portion of the planet to something resembling it's old self. Her primary focus was on manipulating the climate and geology of specially engineered portions of the planet to produce favorable climates for human habitation and the nurturing of engineered ecosystems. Unfortunately, political issues and funding troubles saw the project cut short before it could bear fruit.

Specialty: Biology/Geology with a secondary focus of climatology.

Cyber/Genetic Enhancements: 'Meyer' gene-engineering package. Consists of many minor genetic tweaks to increase resistance to DNA damage from radiation and increase metabolic efficiency, as well as address a handful inborn errors of metabolism. Mostly known for rendering most recipients and their descendants - what few there are - largely infertile.

Personal effects: A small glass globe of Earth.

Character Sketch:

She hadn't slept for days.

The thought pierced through Alexandra's mind as she shuffled around papers atop boxes of packed equipment, fatigue washing over her as she went over final inventories. If they forgot something - chemical precursors, replacement parts, a microscope - it could have disastrous effects on the colony down the line. And there was truly little for Alexandra to do before launch other than make sure the not-insignificant amount of equipment she'd requested was loaded and properly packed.

Well. It wasn't that there was little for her to do - there was quite a lot for her to do. But anything that didn't take up her full attention would've left her open to the sickening, overwhelming swell of emotions that bubbled beneath the surface. Earth was home. Her home. A stricken, wounded home that was slowly dying - but still her home. One that she, and sixty other brilliant, bright minds had come together to try to heal, even just a little. For a while, they had such hope. The simulations looked good, ground had broken on the first hundred mile stretch of artificial mountain ridge that would restore an entire valley to verdant life.

And then politics had gotten in the way, and dashed it all.

Even now, months after the fact, the anger threatened to overwhelm her. She was a scientist, not a politician. She didn't understand why politics had to ruin the best hope Humanity had to save their dying home. When she tried, it just left her infuriated. But even more so, what she was doing now made miserable. The opportunity she'd been given had been amazing - colonizing another world! But ... She couldn't help but feel like she was abandoning her home.

But the future was for those who would take up the challenge.

A sickening swell of mental anguish rose up in her, but then it's rising tide was broken by a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Are you alright, Alex?" Jason Alexander - one of her friends, and a part of her staff for the mission, had appeared beside her like some kind of apparition - or so she thought. She wasn't the most attentive person even when she was well-rested.

"... Yeah, Jason. Just going over some final manifests before they seal everything up for final loading."

"You're a terrible liar, Alex."

For a moment, Alexandra just stared at the manifest before slowly gathering them up in a single stack with a sigh. "I know."

"Name a mountain after me or something, yeah?" Jason quirked a smile at her. She'd asked for him to be retained on Ground Control for a while - just to go over the remote geoscans from the planet.

"Name one yourself, you lazy ass. You've got the data." She chuckles softly.

"Yeah, but I'm not gonna stand on 'em. You are. I'll be watching, you know? Better write my name nice 'n big on one of those summits. And I better not see something foul near it."

"As if I would ever do something so uncouth, Jason!"

She broke into full on laughter, knowing just how much of a fat lie that was.

"... Make sure you get some sleep soon, Alex. Big day tomorrow."

"I will, Jason. ... Take care."

"Save the goodbyes for launch day, you big lummox."

AdmiralKio AdmiralKio I love everything about this character. Fully approved!

I'll be starting an OOC and character thread later today.

(BTW, Jason Alexander is the actor that played George on Seinfeld and I'm going to just go ahead and picture your character's friend as him 😉)

• Name. Dr. Konrad Dieterich.
    Nickname. Con, Conny.
    Age. 35.
    Prior Occupation. Astrophysicist;
    Planetary Spectroscopist &
    Extragalactic Astronomer

working under the European Space Agency for the Geneva branch, seeking out planets fit for human habitation.
    Sexuality. Heterosexual.
    Gender. Cis Male.
    Country of Origin. Switzerland.

BASICS:
Name. Dr. Konrad Dieterich.
Nickname. Con, Conny.
Age. 35.
Prior Occupation. Astrophysicist; Planetary Spectroscopist & Extragalactic Astronomer. Working under the European Space Agency for the Geneva branch, seeking out planets fit for human habitation.
Sexuality. Heterosexual.
Gender. Cis Male.
Country of Origin. Switzerland.

PERSONA:
Personal Effects. A singular, unsmoked Lucky Strike cigarette set in resin. Gifted as a farewell joke by his colleagues.

Specialty. Dr. Dieterich studied Astrophysics in the realms of astronomical spectroscopy. Applying concepts and methods from many disciplines of physics, Konrad is able to measure luminosity, density, temperature, and chemical composition within possibility of human survival and universal study. Utilising spectroscopic studies, compounds such as alkali metals, water vapour, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and methane are weighed by their effect to support life and agriculture without atmospheric shift - in addition to recognising and researching complex molecules.

Virtues. Paternal, Empathetic, Philosophical, Charismatic.
Vices. Compulsive worker, Scatterbrained, Irritable, Overbearing.

Fatal flaw. Easily addictive personality; from nicotine to a coffee buzz, it's noted in the Doctor's medical records he's a recovered amphetamines addict.

CHARACTER SKETCH:
Dieterich always fancied himself something of a fixer. He’d thought it would’ve meant something to find another planet, an ark to preserve humanity in all its backwards compassion. As a scientist, the Swiss native agreed on efficiency; as a father, a son, a friend, Konrad’s heart sank. Edith would say her farewells to a family she’d never see again. For her, there would be no further visits to grandparents, no Christmas among relatives, no childhood that would ever begin to resemble his own.

What hope was there for those to remain?

Even far from the cities it permeated, the pollution, a gradual poisoning that filtered through vast swathes of wildlife until Edith asked such gut-wrenching questions as to where they’d gone. Those animals, great and small, coming to the end of bloodlines which had outlived all of human evolution until now.

Often Dieterich wondered if he had focused less on the stars, whether he might’ve offered a hand in developing technology to preserve something far more important. He waited too late, studied too obsessively, and now he’d become one of the luckiest men alive. Not only to have aided in identifying habitable factors of the planetary environment, but to join the mission with daughter in tow. He didn't feel fortunate.

His mother bid goodbye as if she’d see him soon, pressing recipes into his pockets, telling him how to make Edith’s favourite puddings, laughing over old baby photos and better times.

It was his father who wept under the realisation they’d never meet again.

Under different circumstances, Konrad would’ve believed it a dream come true. All those years of gazing up at the astral plane as every forefather of science had, admiring the universes' work until they sought to exist within it. It was hard these days to look up at the night sky, glaringly filled with lights and smog.

If there was one thing he wished, it was to show Edith that magic; a million diamonds on black velvet.

“Edith?” Konrad watched on as the girl wandered from room to room, trying best to imprint it on her mind. Home. “We’ll be late for our flight, got everything?” The Doctor inquired, slowly crouching to better speak at eye level.

She nodded, motioning to the bear tucked under her arm - gaze fixated on the floor, “I don’t want to go.”

He sighed, head falling till his chin pressed against his chest, “I know,”

“Will we come back?”

“Edie… we talked about this,”

Edith’s voice trembled, hands fidgeting with a downcast series of sniffles. Her father stood, bringing the small girl into a tight hug whilst small shoulders wracked with muffled sobs.

“It’s alright, this is just change - it's for us, it’s for the best,”

“M-My chest feels so tight, it hurts so much,” She gasped out between cries, causing Konrad to pull away - grabbing her hands in his.

“It’s grief.” He squeezed her palms, pressing a kiss to the girl’s feverish forehead while her stare raised an expression of bewilderment,
“Grief?”
“Mourning can happen whenever things turn upside down, mein liebling. We’ll be any which way but on our feet again!”

She gave a choked laugh, “Astronauts aren’t bats, dad,”
“They all sleep like them, don’t they?”
Edith wiped at her eyes, “Does that make us vampires?”
“Space vampires?”
“Yeah.”
“Absolutely,” The physicist smiled, “But for that, we need to leave it all behind." He silhouetted himself against the open door, murky skies overhead.

She took one last look at the cramped flat, tersely swallowing her tears with a shaky nod, "And - and you left a note just in case mum comes back?"

"Of course I did, I told her everything. It's on the table - if she wants, she can come find us!" That absent woman who ever drifted in and out of their lives, though now, he felt positively ragged having to pretend she was anything more than negligent. It was all he could do, retaining an illusion. The envelope in the dining room was filled with just a piece of blank paper.

Edith knew he was lying, yet the knot in her ribcage became less painful for it, "Alright, but you have to hold my hand no matter what. Ready?"

Konrad chuckled at the change in tune, "Ready."

FAMILY:
Edith Dieterich, 12. Konrad's daughter. He never expected to be a single parent - forever the confirmed bachelor, but the little girl is used to her father's strange work ethic. Conferring with the child as if she understands whatever his latest advanced theories have been, greatly reflects in her intelligence. Bright, bold, terminally curious and forever running wild much to Konrad’s joy and embarrassment, Edith became his biggest motivation to leave Earth. Often she’ll fall asleep while he’s burning the midnight oil, tucked up under an arm.

Like her father, she's a budding polyglot with two native Swiss languages of German, French and a universal English; conversational in all but better spoken to in Deutsch.

VISAGE:
Faceclaim. Daniel Brühl.
Enhancements. N/A.
Eyes. Dark Brown.
Hair. Dark Brown.
Height. 6'0.
Desc. An unkempt man, Konrad exists within a state of constant dishevelment. Unbuttoned, flyaway cuffs, half-up collars, his appearance is only exacerbated by outgrown hair and impassioned eyes. Leaving a lasting impression, the scatterbrained physicist is of good health, broad in the shoulders with a toned yet unsculpted physique. Much of his lifetime as a heavy smoker has since been forgiven, ditching tobacco for the sake of spaceflight and health, though it’s not unusual to find a series of nicotine patches paving up his arm or a small mountain of empty coffee cups piled over the physicist's desk. Among his lesser habits, it’s perhaps surprising how well Dieterich cleans up with an ironed shirt and uncrumpled slacks.

Last edited:
(Excuse my lack of coding knowledge, this poor presentation will have to do)
Also, if our chief mechanic is not interested in sharing this role I no quarrels switching up my character : )

Name: Stella Yoon Janzen

Sex/Gender: Female

Country of origin: The Netherlands

Description: Solemn and composed Stella is one to stay out of focus, she has a hidden temper although it’s not too easily evoked. She sports dark puffy hair, usually set free to live it’s own life but in work circumstances she tends to manage it with some simple hairbands. Stella has a scar running across the left side of her forehead although she keeps covered behind chaotic bangs. She's fairly well built as her work requires a fair amount of physical activity, this is however juxtaposed by a multitude of unhealthy habits, smoking there amongst. Height wise she doesn’t stand out, in fact she is in most ways physically quite average. If anything her particularly blemished hands are the attention grabber, with her right pinky finger obviously missing.

1633895839052.png

Family: None.

Pre-Colony Occupation: Growing up Stella worked in a simple family owned automobile shop with her grandfather. It inevitably went out of business soon after his passing, leaving Stella, her brothers and mother to fend for themselves. Young and with their household in dire need of income she followed up by working as an industrial mechanic for Alpire, extracting natural resources in the exposed antarctic region. There she learned the essential skills of working with heavy industrial machinery and vehicles. The company also collaborated with the very present military froces in the region, allowing her to gain some experience working with militarized vehicles. Returning home she had a rather severe falling out with her remaining family and sought to get away from them. As working with Alpire had paid quite handsomely she figured she would resume a more formal education within the same field. However, finding herself unhappy she quickly dropped out in favor of joining the Eden project.

Specialty: Having worked as a mechanic she knows the ins and outs of both your average passenger vehicles as well as heavy duty industrial and military machinery. She always had a knack for academics and found comfort in the hard logic offered by the sciences although she’d always much preferred the hands-on work she grew up with.

Cyber/Genetic Enhancements: None.

Personal effects: A zippo lighter.

Character Sketch: Tangled locks of thick frayed hair managed to hold form in the passing winds. Stella's eyes were framed by darkish bags, a testament to what had become months of turbulent sleep. She was clad in a baggy jacket comfortably snug upon her body, with rugged work pants falling atop heavy leather boots. Smoke gently rose from the corners of her mouth as she inspected the creeping embers of the cigarette taught between her scarred fingers. A small nub was all that remained of her pinky, spectral pain still fooling her it was there all these years down the line.

Gritting her teeth she surveyed her surroundings once again. "We all have to work with what we're given...", warm words echoed in her despondent mind. "Sure, victims of our circumstances and all that, right?" She retorted internally. As tobacco was reduced to ash it drifted off on the breeze. "Don't dwell.", the same soft voice repeated. "Don't dwell.". A bothered expression briefly formed across her face. Rubbing her droopy eyes she cut the oncoming monologue short. Sometimes she pondered if she was really as all there as she liked to think. She knew from experience that these things always came and went, but this time it was persistent. It lingered, unwilling to budge no matter what distraction she threw at herself.

She was leaving soon, and even though this was unlike any voyage she had ever undertaken she felt oddly indifferent towards it. Stella had after all braved her fair amount of perils before, mostly on her own at that. This wasn’t really that different, at least she told herself so.

Stella took one last close look around her, examining foreign faces one by one. She tried not to allow herself to feel disappointed anymore, still she couldn’t help it. She knew too well she'd put herself in this situation and this time there was no one else to blame. Casting the singed bud of her cigarette upon the pavement beneath her she gave it a harsh twist of her boot. Even now she felt guilty wishing there had at least been someone there to see her off. Maybe just a simple goodbye spared all sentimentalities, perhaps a “take care”, even just a distant wave. Anything, really.

Last edited:
Would a ship board AI be a valid role?
Most of the RP will take place on the planet surface, the ship just serving as a home base of sorts, but tell me your ideas. I'm interested to hear if you had a specific way you might okay this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back