• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic The Multiverse RP :: A Thousand Stories

So, what will you do next?

• Join this awesome RP (great - thanx)!

• I'm not sure (want to ask a question)?

• Looking for a different RP - one with less worlds/options (oh - okay)...

Results are only viewable after voting.

TopHatProductions115

Observer of Reality
Hello! This is was my first time attempting to start an RP on this site. , so please bare with me here

This RP walks a thin line, in a grey area, between the limits of Fantasy and Sci-Fi. As such, feel free to use unconfirmed theory in your explanation(s) if you so choose!

Here is the basic idea behind this RP:

Welcome to the Multiverse - a plane of existence where anything and everything within the laws of physics is permitted. Alternate timelines, temporal paradoxes, Parallel universes, Whiteholes - you name it, it’s here. A place that is both exciting and mundane. As long as it can be explained by the laws of physics (even a bit loosely), it’s fair game. But, just for creativity’s sake, some exceptions can (and most likely will) be allowed. In this RP, the multiverse contains infinite universes and timelines, which may or may not interact with each other, depending upon their properties. One universe can collide with another, or even merge completely (in rarer cases). It’s up to you, how the story goes. To keep things simple, though, I shall start the encounter:​
Somewhere, deep in the Multiversal plane, a Universe exists that initially, is so similar to the universe you actually dwell in, that you can barely tell the difference. Perhaps it is a parallel Universe of some sort, where the difference is so subtle, that any ordinary man would go mad searching for the difference that makes it so unique? Upon further inspection down the timeline, however, the difference is much bigger than one could imagine - an event in its Earthen history, that changed the course of time forever. The United States had experienced enough political oppression to bring about another Civil War, and the world had seen its third World War. Surely, something is wrong with this picture - the scorched Earth with ashes raining from the skies. And, in the chaos of it all, one seized the opportunity to change the course of history forever. In their actions, the Multiverse was shaken, and worlds moved. Worlds collided. The echoes of war rang throughout the Multiverse. For that one Universe, however, the progression of time was changed forever.​
For you all, however, this only entails one thing - worlds will collide, and universes will converge. Your people will know that they are not alone in the infinite fabric of reality and possibility. Your story(-ies) start here.​
Tell us your story. What will you do?

Here are the current rules (if you want changes to be made, simply say so in the comments):

0) There is no centre of the multiverse - moving through it in what you perceive to be a straight line will only get you lost, in the infinite fabric of the multiverse (which contains all universes). Furthermore, there is no centre of the universe. As such, moving in a straight line through our universe (IRL), in an attempt to reach its supposed edge, will only lead you back to where you were standing originally. Don’t use that as a way to travel unless you can support your claim(s) with sound reasoning at the very least…​
1) Your character must come from either a world/universe that already exists, or one that you (or someone else will) create. If you create a new world, be sure to include a link to it in your character profile.​
2) Your world (or the one you choose for your character) must have the Four Fundamental Forces at work (in some capacity), or a good substitute. This is to ensure that the laws of physics acts predictably for all characters involved.​
3) Your character must have at least two skills and/or abilities (at the very least, something they’re good at).​
4) Your character must have at least on weakness/disadvantage (no one is invincible or perfect).​
5) Your character cannot be god-modded. They must be, at the very least, somewhat grounded in reality. No gods (I will allow for demigods, though - the 9 realms and other mythologies are available).​
6) No cursing, no gore/extreme violence, no sex, no other inappropriate terms/action. Please, keep it PG-13. A small wound is fine. Breaking a bone is reasonable (in some cases). Loosing a limb is the limit. Throwing guts everywhere is too much.​
7) If you use content that isn’t yours, please cite it - so others can see where you got it from. Also, ask for permission if necessary.​
8a) Posts are generally expected to stay at a certain length, to maintain consistency of the RP experience. You don't need to write an essay, but please pay attention to the length of the person who posted before you. If they post a small paragraph, it wouldn't hurt to follow suite. Don't just spit out a small sentence and leave the others hanging. Use your adjectives.​
8b) While it is advantageous for you (the writer) to know what's going on at every level of this RP, it is completely bonkers to expect that your character will know everything. Please keep 4th wall breaking to a minimum, and proceed as if your character only knows what they do (about their situation in this RP) through observation and interaction, whether it be prior to or during this RP. Knowing is nice, but so is a small surprise. Your character can't just know things because you the writer do. If you can't explain it, don't do it. If you need help explaining it, just ask. I'll try to step in and assist if I can :)
8c) Generally, I won’t allow for participants to take actions that:​
  • have unavoidable consequences, or
  • will most likely lead to the death/injury of another character.
RP’ing is meant to be as interactive as possible, and that requires certain suspension(s) of disbelief (like one’s character getting to respond every action that intended for them). So, events/situations like injury and death are also more easily avoidable (in comparison to IRL/RT). As such, all interactions will be conducted with the assumption that your character has human-like capabilities (sensory, physical, etc.) unless otherwise specified in your character sheet or world info (backing content). If you intend for your character to be ‘above average’, you’ll need to say so in advance.​
9) In accordance to rule 8c, there is also a counter - if you appear to be abusing such power (using it to be invincible/untouchable), rule 8 can be temporarily and situationally revoked for added difficulty…​
10) You may introduce new worlds during the course of this RP. You may have 2 secondary characters as well. However, you may NOT introduce a new main character without entailing the following:​
  • The death/exclusion of your current main character, or
  • The exclusion/pausing of the timeline involving your current main character, or
  • In the rarest of events, a major/large-scale event that changes the storyline - not something that is to be expected
11) If you want to change the course of the RP with a certain event idea, please send it by the me first. If I approve of it, I’ll then have you send it past the other RP participants, in the OOC thread. If I don’t approve of it, feel free to ask about it later in time - my opinion can change :) (this is to maintain story consistency).​
12) In order to participate in this RP (if it does somehow get off the ground), you must be willing to either do some light research on certain topics that may come your way (that you aren’t already well-versed in), or at least ask about it in the OOC thread.​

Please note that there are no restrictions on what race(s) can be used - go as far as you want with that. In addition to this, pictures will not be required on character sheets (but are greatly appreciated and suggested, to help complete the imagery). If you're stumped on where to get ideas (such as where to set your character's backstory or just some inspiration), please feel free to use this content:
The first link is the one that is most up-to-date, and should never have broken links. The other two are legacy pages, from when this interest check first opened. I developed a lot of that myself, pushing the extent of these rules to the farthest extents I could - on my end. You may have even greater ideas! Or perhaps try using other, existing RP worlds on this very website. This Interest check takes some inspiration from the following sources (and more that are currently not listed) :

This RP is meant to go on as a long-term effort (possibly over the course of several months), and will have the following recurring schedule every 6 months:
  1. Seasonal Interest Check :: Who's interested, Who's new, Who's staying, Who's leaving
  2. Seasonal Story-Arc :: Decide on/Create a Story-Arc to use for the next few months
  3. Character Roll-Call :: Time to decide what you're doing with your cast for the next Season
  4. World Tracking :: Manage the worlds - some can be destroyed over the course of Season
  5. Timeline Tracking :: Manage the timelines for the worlds/Universes (like number 4)
  6. Final Call :: Make sure everyone's onBoard with the results of the previous Season/decisions
  7. Season Start :: We start writing for the RP again - for 2 and 1/2 months, until the Season ends
This Seasonal schedule is meant to make it easier to manage the content created by this RP, should it ever become large enough. I may call for some assistants (from interested parties) as time goes on, so be prepared to answer the call...

None of this information is final, and is subject to change. If you have any questions regarding this RP, feel free to ask. I've decided to leave the rest as open-ended as possible, to avoid hindering creativity. But, if this leaves anyone confused, I can make changes as necessary. In terms of lore, what you were presented with above and * are all that are available. Please note that, while it would be advantageous for you to know it as well as possible, you don't have to. It will simply make things more interesting if you choose not to, and easier to explain (on my part) if you do. The links I provided are to 4 (technically 3) Universes, that I am allowing anyone who wants/needs, access to the material for inspiration and/or direct use. Also note that, while you may only have one main character, you may have up to 2 side/secondary characters as well.

Here are the links for getting started!

With that said, I leave you to your creative devices - what will you do now?

Your journey awaits...

Last edited:
I'll keep this thread open over the holiday, to see if interest is there. Once the holiday (Christmas/Kwanzaa/New Year's) is over, I'll tally up the participants and decide whether to extend the Interest Check further, or to start the inCharacter thread.

While I'm here, I'll go on and update the OP...

We have an OOC thread! But, please refrain from posting there until the IC (In Character) thread has been created. That's when the first Season will start. This will help with maintenance as we have more Seasons in the future. When the Season ends, we will have our discussions here (if allowed). This is also where new RP'ers can be inducted in between Seasons.

Character Sheets can be as simple as you want, in terms of looks. For examples of what is expected, please go to one of these examples:
As you can see in both examples, multiple categories can be combined, depending on how you do things in your CS. However, please make sure to bold or underline where you do so, to make things easier for us later down the line. Your CS doesn't have to follow a specific format - as long as it includes all the necessary data. However, there are a few requirements that must be met:
  • Name and Known Aliases
  • Age (can be specified in the Bio)
  • Biography/Background (their life, their world, DoB, etc.)
  • Physical Traits (hair colour, eye colour, height, etc.)
  • Personality/Character Traits
  • Weapons and Abilities
  • Strengths/Fortes
  • Weaknesses
A comparison to one or more fictional/non-fictional entities would be nice, for better power scaling. But, not required. As I stated in the OP:

all interactions will be conducted with the assumption that your character has human-like capabilities (sensory, physical, etc.) unless otherwise specified in your character sheet or world info (backing content). If you intend for your character to be ‘above average’, you’ll need to say so in advance.

So, either create a Character Descriptor Sheet (CS) with a separate World Descriptor Sheet (WS), or simply create a CS with your World/Universe's description in the Character Bio.

Please submit your CS's here.

For World Descriptor Sheets, there is a slightly different set of requirements (may change, due to the novel nature of this):
  • Universe Designation (like how Marvel has their '616', and DC has their 52)
  • What Planet(s) being used? Earth? Another world entirely?
    • If you intend to use timelines, make sure to specify which one as well
    • Describe what makes it different from the other timelines you already have in place...
    • Is time travel involved? If so, specify how the flow if time has been affected in that Universe.
  • Give a short history of the World you're using. If it mirrors that of an existing fiction/non-fiction, say so.
    • Tell how it differs from the original source material, if applicable...
  • What nations/allegiances exist? What wars have happened?
  • Population size is cool (not required).
  • Dominant species is a must-know
  • How far has technology advanced in your World?
  • A map is nice (not required).
  • How did your World figure out that it wasn't alone in the dimensional phase-space of the multiverse?
As with the CS's, World Descriptor Sheets can be as simple as you want, in terms of looks, and don't have to follow a specific format - as long as it includes all the necessary data. A paragraph will work, as long as you use proper grammar and syntax.

Please submit your WS's here.

On a Side Note...

Did You Know That...

The original title of the RP was supposed to be, "The Multiverse [RP] :: The Tale of A Thousand Stories".
However, this was dropped, due to its lengthy nature. So, technically, the title you know it by is an abbreviation of the original concept :)

Now You Know!

END_PSA

This looks cool. Im in. At the terms of possibilities, its good to have alien characters too right?

This looks cool. Im in. At the terms of possibilities, its good to have alien characters too right?

Welcome aboard! I'm glad you came. I also see that you replied to the OOC:

IC is up, so I guess I can start discussing. First i'd like to know what project uses the MU universe currently beside yours. Cause if there are plenty, much collaborating work is required.

Please note that the second part of the OP (for the OOC you replied to) states not to reply to it just yet. As such, I'll have to remove your reply. But, I have re-posted here out of kindness. Please note that I won't always be able to move messages to their proper locations.

I also see that you have attempted to add a World to the Word/Lore thread, linked here:
I think that you'll need to work on your idea of a dimension. Please note that dimensions, timelines, and universes are very different concepts. You'll need to rework your World, to follow some set of physics (whether they be fictional or non-fictional), in a way that others can understand and utilize them. I'll leave it up, but it will need to be revisited over the holiday. Things like world-building take some time.

Last edited:
I'll wait until after New Year's to begin the Season-planning phase. That will give everyone time to spend the holidays with their loved ones. While you're at it feel free to start creating your new Universes, with their Worlds (for instance, Earth or Mars) and alternate histories. Add your Characters if you feel up to it. But rn, having places for Characters to interact in is paramount. Can't have an RP without physical locations. Likewise, can't have a MARVEL comic without some version of Earth (616) as the backdrop...

EDIT :: Here's some food for thought. It's something that heavily influenced my ideas while creating the content behind the RP...

Last edited:
Like I said, mine was merely a WIP. I've been taught another concept of timelines, and as a heavy follower of Gaiman, I dont believe the time in outer space. Its hard to set hardlined boundaries, cause You also didnt answer of who else made alterations with the universes before, so I could count some rules. I did specify though, that the primary physical forces and particles exist, so does gravity and time-lapsing. Thats cause I linked my "worlds" with Earth.

Like I said, mine was merely a WIP. I've been taught another concept of timelines, and as a heavy follower of Gaiman, I dont believe the time in outer space. Its hard to set hardlined boundaries, cause You also didnt answer of who else made alterations with the universes before, so I could count some rules. I did specify though, that the primary physical forces and particles exist, so does gravity and time-lapsing. Thats cause I linked my "worlds" with Earth.

I believe I found who you are referring to (please correct me if I'm incorrect):

I'll attempt to answer your questions, and analyze what you have stated, since I think obviously missed some important points. I will go sentence-by-sentence:

"I don't believe the time in outer space"
So, in the Universe you've created, time either A) doesn't progress, or B) doesn't exist entirely. Is this dependent upon the existence of an observer, or is it simply true regardless of interaction?

"It's hard to set hard-lined boundaries, cause You also didn't answer of who else made alterations with the universes before, so I could count some rules."
I apologize for not having told you all, in advance, who made the alterations to the Universe(s). It is an Artificial Intelligence - based antagonist from the MU-0 Universe I introduced. This character currently has no name (intentionally), and is the primary cause for the incursion(s). I thought that the information wasn't needed to start out, seeing that we are still in the World-Building phase (creating the Worlds the Characters hail from).

"I did specify though, that the primary physical forces and particles exist, so does gravity and time-lapsing."
Thank you for doing so. I will re-read your entry, for a better understanding, ASAHP. Please note that you may want to use more formatting in the future, to help out with identifying where you mention the key details.

"Thats cause I linked my "worlds" with Earth"

I can see that you did the following:

(busy re-reading your entry)...

Not saying I actually have any room at this point to be in more rp's, but what are your thoughts on—I dunno—M-Theory and spatial dimensions beyond the infinite multiverse? Ones where beings in, say, the 4th dimension would seem like all-powerful gods to anyone in the 3rd dimension? For instance, if a massive army of 2-D soldiers tried to fight you, a 3-D human, you could destroy any number of them as easily as tearing a piece of paper. It's interesting stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back