• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom [CLOSED] The Moon Stood Still [Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Advanced]

FancyKiddo

Your Alien Friend!

It started with the dreams. As the moon bore down on your sleeping form, you would toss and turn, to wake in the morning more tired than you’d started, forgetting what uncomfortable truth kept you from resting well. And it wasn’t just one night of bad sleep. Within a week, you could barely stand, and one-by-one, you were quietly let go. Who knows what they thought: perhaps they figured you’d fallen into drugs. As it was, you were ostracized, quietly told to go home and get some rest, and not to return until you had done so.

So you went home. But you still couldn’t sleep. Each time you would close your eyes, your subconscious would wrestle them open. It knew, even if you didn’t. Sleep would be defeat. If you slept, you’d lose everything.

Maybe you tried to keep yourself awake playing with your pets. Maybe you tried to read, as your tired eyes could barely focus on each letter. Maybe you watched the news, and learned of the growing concern that something was wrong. The moon had frozen in place, the tides were rising and falling erratically. The wildlife was getting antsy, attacking without provocation, even killing. Ranger squads were disappearing, things were getting out of hand.

The scientists said it was an anomaly, one that they couldn’t explain but for which they’d find the answer. The spiritualists and mediums said that Arceus had forsaken the world. The conspiracy theorists said humans were finally getting their rightful comeuppance, a punishment worthy of their sin.

And then, as you lay pointlessly in your bed, staring into the bright night sky, you heard something. A threatening growl, a dangerous purr, the clack of claws or the flap of angry wings. And there, at the foot of your bed, were your own pets. Your partners, whom you’d known your whole life, or found in your childhood adventures. But now, they were changed, dark-eyed and furious. Though you called to them, and begged them to snap to, it was to no avail. They attacked, and finally, you slept.

You woke alone. And you felt better. The best sleep, the only sleep you could remember for a long time. But as you shifted in bed, pleading to an empty room for five more minutes, you noticed something horribly wrong. This was not your bed. This was not your room. And the arm in front of your eyes was not your arm. For some, it wasn’t an arm at all, but a wing, or a vine, or nothing at all. And as you cried out in panic, the sound that issued forth was not your voice. Instead, it was a name, an affirmation of what you now were.

You had become Pokemon.

Your characters were once human, but now, not so much. You’ve each been transformed into Pokemon, though the world is still largely cohabited by Pokemon and humans alike: this is not the Pokemon-only world of the Mystery Dungeons, but that of the main games, in a state of disarray and terror. For, though Pokemon and humans have peacefully coexisted for as long as history recalls, things have suddenly gone sideways, and friends have become enemies. Not every pet has gone crazy, but enough have that the world is quickly descending into chaos: and whatever is causing this is spreading.

You wake in a field; lost, sickly, and possessing a body you don’t understand. Thankfully, you’re surrounded by new friends, others in the same boat. Some immediately, in a panic, run off, but a few of you have the good sense to form an alliance, at least as long as it takes to figure out what’s going on.

This isn’t planned as a happy-go-lucky adventure. An insanity mechanic is in place for players and characters to phase in and out of the roleplay (partly because, let’s face it, it’s gonna take a few flukes to find people who are serious about the long haul), and the characters you once considered friends may turn into your enemies at any moment. The party will be used, abused, and hunted. Allies will be rare, true allies rarer still. And you’re a small but significant part of larger machinations that you may never understand: only time and roleplay will tell.

Players are expected to write well and punctually. Those who do not will be helped if they’re willing, and kicked if they are not. I’m not fond of hard-and-fast style rules, other than the use of third-person past tense, but I will let you know if your posts need fleshing out or trimming.

This includes a 3-paragraph minimum for in-character posts. If you can't think of three paragraphs of content to write, work with other players to flesh it out before posting. If quick dialog would require shorter posts, determine the dialog in PM and then have one player post it (giving credit where it is due with an ooc tag).

No foul language. I’m not fond of it in writing: it’s lazy and overused. Figure out some other way to portray your character’s distress.

PG-13 otherwise. Let sex fade to black. Better yet, consider that there’s not much time for such things in a war setting like this. If you’re going to do romance, please make it interesting for everyone else, too.

Metagaming will result in your character’s insanity, causing them to become GM property. You’re encouraged to try to piece together the story, but keep OOC knowledge OOC.

Characters are to make sense for the setting. This is, once again, not a happy-go-lucky adventure, and though there may be happy-go-lucky characters even so, I expect depth and reasonable characterization.

I expect each player to look out for everyone else’s fun: no hogging the spotlight, bullying each other, or negatively affecting others’ characters without consent.

Further terms and conditions may apply. Use common sense and your well-honed roleplay skills, and you shouldn’t have any problems.

The majority of the roleplay will be play-by-post. However, there will be tabletop elements for combat: we’ll use a modified version of TORG Eternity, a tabletop system that encourages cinematic player cooperation. I’ll have the rules for that available in the Discord and OOC.

“Divine intervention” will be a thing, so if players get stuck too much, expect to see a Legendary show up and guide you along your way. You may certainly disregard such advice, as the world is open-ended and entirely available to explore. Keep in mind that the story will be progressing, regardless if you decide to follow it, and that will have effects on the world as a whole.

Player characters have special powers, due to their human spirit. To facilitate the tabletop portion of the experience, you will each fill out a character sheet, and the stats thereon will determine your abilities. Unlike natural Pokemon, you will have high cognitive abilities that allow you to use moves outside of your new body’s normal abilities, should you develop your character that way.

Your most important stat will be Humanity. This can be lowered by fumbles while using your Humanity, as well as being Knocked Out. Your character will not die, but losing all Humanity makes them wild Pokemon, and they come under the GM’s jurisdiction. You may make a new character, and we’ll work them into the party at a logical point.

I'm looking for 4-6 players to get this started.

Last edited:
Hmmmm... It sounds interesting. A lot of rules, some of them are kinda confusing for me... But I'd like to give it a shot

Which rules are confusing? Sorry, I'm better at talking things out than explaining ahead of time xD

This looks interesting. It's been a while since I've done a dark RP but I'll join.

four seems like enough to put up a character creation imo

New rule added:
This includes a 3-paragraph minimum for in-character posts. If you can't think of three paragraphs of content to write, work with other players to flesh it out before posting. If quick dialog would require shorter posts, determine the dialog in PM and then have one player post it (giving credit where it is due with an ooc tag).

This seems really interesting. The whole moon and madness themes are giving me Bloodborne vibes.

I'm down

On second thought, I'll have to get back to you on that another day. So far now negate this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back