TV & Film The Mind of Jake Paul

Debacle

Writer of Words, Maker of Things
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Is anyone else watching this Shane Dawson docuseries?

I knew who Logan and Jake Paul were before the series, but I've never seen a video they've made. However, I'm a big fan of Shane's. I just finished watching the latest part (The Secrets of Jake Paul) and... damn, this series has made me feel so many different things.

When it first came out, I was disturbed by the concept. I didn't feel like it was right for Shane to go into this asking the question "Is Jake Paul a Sociopath?" when he is not any kind of clinician. Of course, it's really hard to make any kind of call, because we're not seeing what's going on behind the scenes. Still... it felt like an invitation for untrained people to start diagnosing people.

I also had a big problem with Katie Morton going 'undercover'. That seemed really unprofessional, in my humblest opinion. Before the series, I was actually a really big fan of Katie's, but I think this was a misstep for her.

I'm really glad to see the direction the last few episodes have taken. He seems like a fairly normal guy living an absolutely abnormal life. I mean, I'm not going to start watching his videos, but he doesn't seem like a bad guy.

If you're also watching the series, I'd love to know your thoughts.

Personally I've only watched the first three videos in Shane's series before I stopped, mainly because I didn't like the direction things were headed in. The psychologist that he brought in seemed unprofessional and though I adore Shane there were so many things he could've handled differently.

That being said: there's this narrow line that Shane's currently walking that I think has trapped him. He can't say anything bad about Jake as it may criminalize sociopaths (and we saw the backlash that received), and he can't say anything good because he will be called out for sympathizing with Jake.

I'm not sure if anything much has changed over the last three videos but that's the general feeling I've gotten so far. Do you recommend continuing? I'm kind of scared of watching Shane crash and burn since he's a favourite of mine. It's good that somebody is talking about the issues around youtube and the Paul brothers but... it was looking a little messy last time I checked.

I actually think the latter ones have been a lot better. The first few were so overly dramatic. I think the last few have been a lot more documentary in nature, sort of letting the viewer draw some conclusions for themselves. The way that this is going, I think people will probably empathize with Jake Paul if they watch until the end. I do think the first few videos were really damaging though.

The whole thing leaves me not sure how to feel. I guess in the end it's not really about whether you walk away liking him (Jake Paul) or hating him, it's just about understanding him better. And I think more understanding of anyone is probably a good thing.

I've been watching Shane since he first started up till now. This is the first time I lost interest through something midway. I really don't care about Jake Paul or his issues.

i definitely preferred the jeffree star series compared to the jake paul one that's running now because jeffree just seems like a more interesting person, but i really love shane's new style of content and i hope he keeps doing these documentary-like series because they're just so interesting and getting to see sides of people we don't normally get to witness really changes peoples perspectives.

i definitely preferred the jeffree star series compared to the jake paul one that's running now because jeffree just seems like a more interesting person, but i really love shane's new style of content and i hope he keeps doing these documentary-like series because they're just so interesting and getting to see sides of people we don't normally get to witness really changes peoples perspectives.

I really loved the jeffreee one.

I finished it last week and I enjoyed it. As a psychologist I was really happy that Katie took care in describing sociopathy to Shane. I will admit from the outside they do exhibit some of the symptoms, but by the time I got to like, episode 3 or 4 I started to understand there was something else at play.

At the end of the day the final episode really sums up the whole thing. I won't put spoilers in the forum though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back