• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

The Metro

Pat

Three Thousand Club

Inspired by the Metro Series (novels and games) I want to make a nation builder where any and all interested roleplayers will create their own factions within the metro system of a fictional U.S. city. Essentially, this will function as a sandbox, although there will be plenty to do, there won't be any overall plot except the narrative roleplayers imagine. There are fifteen stations to claim, but I have created three factions in preparation for this roleplay that may each have a station to themselves, if people are interested in having some 'NPCs' to deal with.

Screenshot_20190121-095245~3.png

The circles represent individual stations. The lines represent tunnels between the stations, and the white ones show which ones have collapsed. The station closest to the top left is Station A and the station closest to the bottom right is Station O, respectively, although you guys can rename them if you so wish. Stations can support up to a thousand people, and have blast doors protecting them. The colored districts are distinct areas of the decaying surface city above that have plenty of loot, mutants, bandits, and opportunities.

The world came to an end by nuclear war two decades ago, and commuters of the city's metro system sought refuge in it's improvised fallout shelters. The situation deteriorated quickly due to a myriad of reasons, driving the bravest inhabitants of the stations to don gas masks and protective gear to loot the scorched surface for supplies. These individuals would become known as the first 'Stalkers' of the Metro. Mutants are nearly mythical, but bandits, who often wear hockey masks as a symbol, are a regular threat.

I don't necessarily want much information for the faction sheets. Try to be short and concise aside from your economy and military. Please provide your opinion on what you'd want from this roleplay, as well as claim stations A-O for your own.

Name:
Origin:
Station(s): (at most pick four stations).
Ideology:
Population:
Economy:
Military:

Name: Motorpool.

Origin: Motorpool was founded one month after the world ended. People looked to those who had been in authority before, and found that a considerable amount of the metropolitan police force operating near to the metro station had made it below ground. A police captain among them organized a militia and worked to ration food. Soon enough the captain was also preparing scavenging parties, settling disputes, and organizing work to make the station into a more permanent place to live. Today, Motorpool is a centrally planned city-state run by a political party of the educated elite and military officers.

Station(s): D / G / J --

Ideology: Motorpools administration believes in long term stability through fair governance, but that free enterprise is unsustainable in the current situation and would lead to more problems than it is worth. They will trade with others on only a state scale and will stop black market trade.

Population: 3,000

Economy:
Centrally planned. The people are given tokens to use at distribution centers. Children are given four years of mandated education to ensure they know arithmetic, how to read and write, and the history of the old world. Beyond this, children are tested and placed into apprenticeships based on a mixture of aptitude and preference. Stations D and G are the 'feeder' stations and focus on production and food. Station J enforces strict inspections and quarantine when needed, as it is the access point for the rest of the Metro. Carts are checked for explosives before approach to the walls and gate, and are then thoroughly checked once inside. Those who wish to trade with Motorpool can go through the bureaucratic paperwork to get officially registered, and are then given a special trade pass with which they are permitted to move their goods.

Cleanliness is unto godliness. The stations enforce strict sanitation laws that dictate where trash can be deposited, how to dispose of human waste, and the separation of waste/trash from habitation areas.

For food, Motorpool grows many low-light plants that are not energy intensive. Their crops were sourced locally over time from what was available from anywhere in the city, mostly grassy areas and nearby parks. Staple foods include, chives, dandelions, asparagus, mushrooms, sprouts, and leafy greens. The only grown crop that wasn't harvested locally from what was left of the flora, was a set of common potato plants filched by an enterprising scavenger from a blown out gardening center. Motorpool grows potato plants widely as a result. Fish tanks of bottom feeders are maintained to provide the populace with a meat source. The city-state also will use the dandelions that it grows to make dandelion wine.

Motorpool specializes in synthesizing chemicals and scavenging. To that end, they have a scavengers guild. The guild is tasked with directing scavenging work as well as keeping maps of what is explored.
Military:
Motorpool maintains a militia. Militiamen have colored armbands and meticulously crafted patches to signify their rank. There are three ranks; Trooper, corporal, and sergeant. They generally carry whatever arms they can get their hands on depending on ammunition availability.

Expedition-wise, Motorpool has little military interest in the surface besides ensuring that no raiders or soldiers can use the surface access points to infiltrate their stations. In this regard they rely on their scavengers to relay anything of importance back to them. The militia will organize a response if the scavengers report trouble.

Station J is the most heavily fortified of the three stations as it is the buffer between the other two stations behind it and the rest of the metro. It is where the most militia presence is. Station J's fortifications are meant to stand up to a lot of stress. To prevent rail cars from ramming into their defenses, mechanisms have been implemented that place mechanized buffer stops along multiple sections of the tracks. The buffer stops are controlled by operators behind the fortifications. Beyond that, machine guns are high on the ramparts of the walls. A final defense behind each of the main ramparts of Station J's two entrances are flamethrowers. Motorpool keeps its side tunnels under close watch and has them locked down where possible. They lay down alarm systems and traps as well.

Militiamen get access to better equipment based on experience.

The common soldiery wear a protective vest, a steel helmet, and their identifying accessories. They can wear what underclothes make them comfortable, but need to have their outer layers dyed dark grey with a pair of boots.

Each checkpoint has twenty militiamen. Station J, being the most militarized station has 300 troops. Stations G and D have 80 troops each.

Last edited:
You guys can have railcars (basically cheap exposed armored cars on rails) and railtanks (essentially only armored enough to stop low tier small arms ammunition and mounted with maybe a machine gun or something) too. No trains though. Yet anyway.

Machine guns would obviously be rare, so I don't know if you guys would envision your factions having them, but so long as you can justify what weapons you have, they're fine. Like the police for example could have tear gas and riot gear.

mausedpotatos mausedpotatos , two questions, do more experienced troops get the better gear available, and, what sort of fortifications does Station J have? Like barricades inside and outside the entrances?

We'll probably begin soonish once we get another player (although more are welcome). If we can't get another player, I'll just make NPCs.

More experienced troops do get the better gear available, and I'll flesh it out. I didn't want to assume too much about what was allowed with fortifications and all that.

What are the rules on mapping out passages and such? I saw what Forgo posted and went wat. I presumed that we were only allowed to move using the main metro tunnels. Are we able to map the back passages from one station to the other? Do all stations connect to adjacent stations one way or the other through passages?

What are the rules on mapping out passages and such? I presumed that we were only allowed to move using the metro tunnels. Are we able to map the back passages from one station to the other? Do all stations connect to adjacent stations one way or the other through passages?
My map has not be approved BUT id assume we could, it'd make sense to use the side passages just like in the game.

Pat Pat

I edited the map for my faction, is that ok?
How traversable are the paths in black, and what is the nature of the outposts in stations which you do not directly control? Also, wouldn't having a specific old U.S. uniform be difficult to maintain and produce for about two decades?

The weapons are ok, mostly, but make it so not everyone has them. Most weapons produced before the apocalypse will be less reliable and more scarce, mind. Those made after? They're not the best, but they're dependable given the right gunsmith.

What are the rules on mapping out passages and such? I saw what Forgo posted and went wat. I presumed that we were only allowed to move using the main metro tunnels. Are we able to map the back passages from one station to the other? Do all stations connect to adjacent stations one way or the other through passages?
Me too, honestly. I'm ok with player made tunnels so long as they're limited and reasonable.

Do you have anything in specific you'd expect us to use as a standard heavy checkpoint weapon, or are we mainly supposed to look for examples from Metro; Flamers, machineguns, ect.

Do you have anything in specific you'd expect us to use as a standard heavy checkpoint weapon, or are we mainly supposed to look for examples from Metro; Flamers, machineguns, ect.
There's little that can be called standard (when it comes to heavy weapons anyway) in the Metro that isn't made after the apocalypse. Such things are rare, and are essentially scythes of death that consume rare ammunition and resources. So variety is more likely than any one weapon. Draw inspiration from whatever. Even a goddamn ballista is acceptable if you want to go medieval on someone.

How traversable are the paths in black,

Eh, id say big enough to have say...a platoon go through them without much issue?

Also, wouldn't having a specific old U.S. uniform be difficult to maintain and produce for about two decades?
Good point, I'd like to use some images tbh, I'll edit that out.

what is the nature of the outposts in stations which you do not directly control?
What do you mean do not directly control?

Most weapons produced before the apocalypse will be less reliable and more scarce, mind. Those made after?
Eh that depends how well they are maintained, if they're well maintained they can last quite a while. I'd say that these weapons are also using improvised parts and looking quite different than when they used to.... I'll add that and add that they make weapons(not in mass)

Eh, id say big enough to have say...a platoon go through them without much issue?

Good point, I'd like to use some images tbh, I'll edit that out.

What do you mean do not directly control?

Eh that depends how well they are maintained, if they're well maintained they can last quite a while. I'd say that these weapons are also using improvised parts and looking quite different than when they used to.... I'll add that and add that they make weapons(not in mass)
Make them narrower and a much tighter fit if you want to have that many going that far. They'll also be hard to maintain.

You appear to have outposts in stations that are not claimed by you.

Also there's a not-mine checkpoint right in front of my most militarized station, and I attached a picture of it. I believe would be more fair to us both if there were two checkpoints out there since my people would want one too/would have made one anways. Can you edit your main map to look like my main map?

You appear to have outposts in stations that are not claimed by you.
I'd say joint guard on both sides? If not I'll pull it back, or at least try to.

Make them narrower and a much tighter fit if you want to have that many going that far. They'll also be hard to maintain.
Narrower as in... hall sized like in a building?

Also there's a not-mine checkpoint right in front of my most militarized station, and I attached a picture of it. I believe would be more fair to us both if there were two checkpoints out there. It's only fair. Can you edit your main map to look like my main map?
Can i propose an alliance? Your faction isn't too different than mine in terms of military...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back