• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Means of An End: A Kingdom Hearts Story [DISCONTINUED]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
So, you want to hear a little tale huh? One with Adventure, Friendship, Romance, Story telling? Well, THIS, is YOUR story, and your story, has only JUST BEGUN.

Long ago, before the times of Peace and Prosperity, there was a war. A war that raged for years to come. It began with the arrival of Light, giving a special few the ability to wield it's power in the form of Keyblades, promising to defend and keep the light from expiring. That promise of defending the Light turned those who swore to defend it, against their own allies, and eventually, themselves. Thus arrival of the Darkness in People's hearts began to grow and soon, began what has been written in Legends for Generations to come, as The Keyblade War. Keyblade warriors fought for the Light, protecting it from the Darkness, but ended up being consumed by the Darkness themselves. All fighting for the Light of Kingdom Hearts, the source of all of those warriors power, as well as the very link to Light itself. Kingdom Hearts was too dangerous to be left available, thus, it was locked away, sealed into Oblivion.

So began the events of The Dark Seeker, a former great Master Xehanort turned to the Darkness, and tried to begin the Second Keyblade War to free Kingdom Hearts and claim its power.

Thanks to the events of the heroes of the Past, the events never came, and Kingdom Hearts was returned to the Darkness yet again, to remain untouched, and buried. Those very heroes are long gone, and those times are over. The events that were transcribed here had changed the Worlds Forever, and a threat of a possible Second Keyblade War still always lurks. Thus, came forth the creation of the Keyblade Academies. Upon the end of the Stalemate between the Light and Darkness that had been sitting and collecting dust for years, Light has finally taken its place to keep Peace and Prosperity upon the worlds that were corrupted by the Darkness.

We needed new heroes, new warriors to prevent these events from happening again. We needed new places to make people stronger, to defend the Light.

This is one of them. Astora, one of the few new worlds that was born from the Light that was Kingdom Hearts, and erected as a supposed haven for new Keyblade Wielders to flock to and train for the very chance of a new threat, waiting to emerge. Bright, beautiful, with small towns surrounding the main center, of which, lies a combination of massive buildings surrounded by an aura of Light. This, is Custodes Sanctuarium, Sanctuary of The Guardians, one of the new Academies that was created to help new wielders master the art of Keyblade Wielding, to train for the heroes of tomorrow.

And this, well, this is where you come in.

You have all been to Orientation and have been transported from your respective homes to Astora. This is your first day, and you have all by chance, been marked to the tutelage of a "Master Queal", with instructions to go to room A160. Upon that name, some say he can possibly be one of the few greatest Keyblade Warriors of this time, some say he can be a bit of a prick, but who knows, you just got here. The stairways to enter Custodes Sanctuarium lie ahead of you, and you are all surrounded by soon to be peers and fellow apprentices.

This is your new home, and some of these people beside you, will be your new family.

It's time to take your first step.

Last edited:
Melani stood at the bottom of the stairway with the others, who she rightly assumed were her training mates. She gave them all a good up and down look, a quick study of their features so that once introductions started she could focus on names rather than faces. As always, she wanted to make sure she knew everyone in the room, no one in her life was a stranger. When her eyes looked back towards the top of the stairs she took a deep breath, this was another step closer to her future as a Keyblade Wielder. Certainly this would all be a piece of cake for her, at least in her mind there was not much more for her to learn even though learning never ends. "Well, I don't know what we're waiting for, the stairs aren't gonna start moving" Melani said with a chuckle at the end. With one foot in front of the other and her hands resting behind her head she started up the stairs towards the door figuring the others weren't too far behind her.

Desmond approached the growing crowd of students at the front of the building. Many of them eyeing the steps and structure with shock and awe. He’d be lying if he said he wasn’t impressed as well. Everything about being here was what he’d wished for since he was a kid. Everyone seemed to be quietly chatting to someone else, or simply too dazzled by the school building to do anything but just gawk. Desmond wasn’t one to draw attention to himself, so he simply stood and admired the various conversations going on around him before quickly growing bored. Searching into his bag, he produced a small book that he’d been reading, though before he could open it, someone spoke up above the murmurs. He couldn’t quite hear what she’d said, but whatever it was, people were finally moving. He stuffed the book back into his bag and followed the crowd up the steps. He stone clacking loudly under the many footsteps of aspiring keyblade warriors. His included.

“What room was i supposed to go to again?” He wondered to himself... then shrugged. Things always had a way of turning out okay for him.

Why am I here?

That's the question that stuck out more than any to Hiro. Why? He had a Keyblade, sure, but he could figure out to use the thing all on his own. And yet, those older Keyblade Wielders who nabbed him from his home world insisted that he be here to learn to better control it. What choice did he have, when so many weapons were ready to be turned on him in that moment? And so, the orphan came here pretty much entirely against his will.

He pushed through the crowd of students quietly, not giving any of them any more than a mere passing glance. He wasn't used to this many people in one place, and he definitely didn't like it. Somehow, knowing they were all Keyblade Wielders made him even more uneasy. To him, there was no default kinship with other Wielders. They were just other people that had a similar weapon. What comfort was there in that? With a quiet huff, he eventually made it to the stairs and slowly headed up to his assigned room.

Akari's excitement about seeing all these new people that she will eventually spare and test her strength against is indescribable. The world seems so beautiful, but she did notice her enemy books still existed in this world when she noticed a random person holding one of those evil things. She hopes none of this keyblade training stuff to become future heroes involves reading. She notices that everyone started to walk up the stairwell so she decides to follow them that way while saying "Hi, I'm Akari future most awesome keyblade wielder ever, and it's a pleasure to meet you" to every random new person she meets while walking up the stairs. She is completely convinced that once everyone sees how strong she is that all these people will want to be her friend, but the current challenge of finding this A160 place might be more of a challenge since she has no idea where that is or if the random people she is following at the moment are actually going to that room.

- 5 minutes earlier

The sounds of scribbling can be heard as the older man sat at his desk in his classroom, unlike the others being all clean and nice, was rather seeming a bit run down, except for the fact a quite younger gentleman was mopping, sweeping, and cleaning. The sounds of cleaning and scribbling interrupted by two rather out of place "beeps" from a pad on a shelf near the window.

Almost urgently, the younger gentleman dropped his mop and ran over to the shelf, grabbing the tablet as the beeps proceeded to be in a pattern. With a face of peace slowly turning to dread, the older male sighed as he dropped his pen to the desk.

"Can you PLEASE find SOME way to turn that down Kirin!", exclaimed the Master, peaceful stature now replaced with irritation to the notification sounds of the tablet. "I would if I could sir!", replied the apprentice, starting to hit random buttons to deactivate the notifications before the device turned itself off. "It seems they wanted to make sure ahead that you knew your students are on the way."

"What!", Master Queal exclaimed, completely disbelieved the Headmasters would give him students without even a warning ahead. "I don't have any students on the way! This must be some joke", he replied with laughter, slapping the pen away to the other side of the room.

"Uh, well, you see that is the very problem sir, you threw out every letter of contact for the past 2 months and even fell asleep during the meeting 2 weeks ago, I very well don't think this is a joke Master", Kirin replied with a straight face.

A few seconds pass before all of a sudden, The Master proceeded to throw his stack of papers aloof in frustration and stand up, beginning to walk out of the room. Kirin was able to catch a few of the loose flowing sheets before they hit the floor, but was too slow to catch them all. "Master! Where are you going!?"

"To blow off some steam!", Queal returned with a snapping reply as he gave his hand a dismissive wave, "I'll be in the Mirage Arena, take them there." With only a few pieces of paper to keep the lone apprentice company, he couldn't help but roll his eyes as he began to pick up the thrown around pile to the sounds of fading footsteps and muttering under the breath from the leaving Master. "Can't even do my studies in peace.."

- Present

The young man had finally finished grabbing all of the sheets and put them together into a nicely stacked pile atop the Master's desk, surely he's having fun right now. A few moments of silence as he checked the clock on the wall, impatiently waiting for the possibly new friends to arrive as he took a seat beside the desk and occassionally glances at the open door.

- You all start to realize that the massive group of people has begun to dissipate after walking down this corridor. Several groups of students going into rooms left in right and in pairs or small groups. Soon enough, the four of you had all stopped in your tracks as the crowd continued to move past your smaller party. A160, right in front of you.

Last edited:
After walking awhile Akari actually managed to find room A160 without any problems. She into the room disappointed that lots of paper is present in the room. Once inside the room she notices a person behind a desk. Speaking quickly and excitedly she says "So, are you the person that's supposed to teach us how to heroes? Also is the first lesson going to about how to turn keyblades in gliders that can travel between the worlds? They are so awesome and they look really fast from what I saw of from the person that recruited me to this place. Oh right, I haven't introduced myself I'm Akari future most awesome keyblade wielder ever and this..." She reaches out with her left hand which causes her keyblade to materialize in her hand. "is my awesome keyblade Heart of Thorns".

As Desmond followed the now dwindling crowd of students through the various halls he did his best to take in the various sensations around him. Everyone looked to be about his age, though they appeared to be a bit more adjusted, in that they obviously knew where they were going. He peered into the rooms as he passed. Nothing too exciting about the classrooms. he stopped as something caught his attention. One girl burst into a room and started introducing herself somewhat loudly to the instructor. Desmond stopped to watch the debacle as she quickly summoned her keyblade. Desmond couldn’t help but watch on incredulously.

“She can’t be serious? Can she?” Desmond mumbled aloud, looking around at the others who had stopped to watch, looking for any sort of confirmation of his own reaction. Part of him hoped this wasn’t his room, but knew he probably wouldn’t be so lucky.. why can’t I get the simple quiet and easy group? He thought. Looking at the room number he thought it looked familiar and figured that yes, this was probably his group...

Melani paused on one step when a very energetic voice caught her attention. She turned her head watching one girl make her way to practically everybody to introduce herself and she couldn’t help but chuckle. She thought it was rather amusing that there was somebody who seemed to have more energy than her, hopefully the training they’ll go through won’t beat that out of her. Melani smiled when the girl approached and introduced herself “it’s nice to meet you, I’m Mel-“ she started to say but before she could even finish her response the girl was off to the next unsuspecting stranger. She shook her head with another light chuckle and continued her way up the stairs in the direction she believed her room to be in.

To her surprise the rather bubble girl seemed to be headed in the same direction, she even watched as the girl burst into the very room she would soon enter. In fact, as the students started to thin out she finally got an idea of who her closer peers would be. Of course all of that was confirmed when they actually entered the classroom. Melani looked over as one boy standing close to her commented on Akari’s rather flashy choice to whip out her keyblade right away. She shrugged a little in response “it’s no big deal, she isn’t hurting anyone” she simply said and took a couple steps closer approaching Akari and who they believed would be their instructor “hello there! I’m Melani and if we’re showing off our keyblades, I’ll definitely show you mine” she said with a proud smile as she summoned her keyblade in her left hand. As soon as it appeared she gave it a twirl and held it out.

Hiro kept walking, giving only a slightly longer look to the loud girl that stopped to greet him, and passed by before he could even think about whether he actually wanted to introduce himself. Though she got far ahead of him, they both ended up at the same place eventually. Hiro checked the door's number to make sure he was at the right class, before heading in to find that he was the last student to enter. Not that he would've realized it of course, he had no clue how many people would be in his little class, he hadn't bothered to read whatever entrance papers or syllabus he got.

He listened quietly to the female students who'd chosen not only to quickly introduce themselves, but to show off their weapons so soon as well. He squinted his eyes slightly, looking at the person behind the desk and quickly deciding that he was probably a little too young to be their teacher. He didn't look like he had that many years over anyone else in that class.
"I'm Hiro," the short boy spoke as he approached the table, glancing back at the other boy who seemed to be staying back, before focusing his gaze once more on the young man.
"Our teacher isn't late... right?"

It surprisingly didn't take long before the 4 of these new students would arrive. The first to show and speak, being a girl in black and red. Kirin had a nice smile set up to begin a chat, that didn't take long before his joy of anticipation became an expression of slight confusion as the first newcomer had began a barrage of questions before he could even open his mouth. "Oh, uh no! I'm not Master Queal, my name is K- Uh, uhm yes I agree Blade Gliding is definitely cool, but Master Que- Oh okay..!" To say the poor fella was overwhelmed, would be an understatement, Master Queal isn't going to enjoy this one.

The young man couldn't help but smile in wonder however as another female student pulled out her own weapon as Akari pulled hers out to show its features. With their weapons out, he gave the pair a small applause of excitement. The other two that showed up didn't seem very social, or at least, didn't seem like they had any interest to him, until one of them decided to ask him a question.

"Oh! Oh no! He isn't late, he's actually down the hall, I was actually instructed to take you to him if you don't mind following", he replied with joy in his tone as he seemed to almost bounce out of his seat to the exit door in excitement, proceeding to do a bow as he looked to the door and gave a wave of the arm to give the motion to follow. "My name is Kirin, pleasure to meet you guys! I'm an Apprentice, well, soon to be ONE of his apprentices, though, I'm actually not a keyblade wielder like you guys."

“Apprentice?” Desmond spoke up, curious at the mentioned title. “Not to be rude, but If you don’t have a keyblade, what are you apprenticing?” Desmond asked as he followed Kirin out the door.

Akari notices the pink haired girl that she introduced herself to earlier during the walk to the classroom approach her. She was amazed when Melani summoned her keyblade with her left hand because keyblades are normally summoned by the dominant hand which means she finally found someone that can arm wrestle with her lefthanded because it was getting annoying having to use her hand right hand to arm wrestle since so many people needed to arm wrestle with the wrong hand. She noticed that Melani's keyblade seemed to just resemble a sword instead of another weapon like how Heart of Thorns resembles a scythe, but she was confused about why Melani didn't tell her what the keyblade's name is. With a large smile on her face she says "It's so nice to meet you Melani and I can tell we are going to the bestest of friends in no time. I would give you a hug right now, but I've been told that hugging people while holding weapons is a bad idea".

Akari was surprised that Kirin wasn't the person that was supposed to teach them to be awesome teachers and that he didn't have a keyblade, but still excited to meet this Master Queal guy. She releases her keyblade from her grip and it vanishes to wherever keyblades go when they aren't in use by the person with the ability to summon them. She happily starts to skip along behind Kirin as he lead them to the place where she can get away from the evil book stuff and truly learn how to be an awesome hero.

Hiro nodded to Kirin, a bit curious about why he was here if he didn't have a Keyblade, but thinking it more polite to just not ask. He probably had some other weapon or magic he was training with instead..

He stuck closer to the back of the group as they walked to wherever their teacher was, and watching Akari with some... interest? Curiosity? Apprehensiveness? Hiro couldn't think of the word to describe his feelings at what he was seeing. She seemed way too excited about this whole thing, though perhaps she was just excited about... life in general? He made a mental note not to stand too close to her when her Keyblade was out, for fear of her getting too animated and accidentally hitting him over the head with it.

Kirin gave an awkward nod in response to the other boy's question of why he was here. "Oh! Well, Master Queal said that he found me when I was a young boy, couldn't find my parents on one of his "adventures" as he likes to call them, it was one of the worlds lost to the darkness before the headmasters stuck him to a "desk job". So I've been sticking around since training. Even though I'm not a keyblade wielder, he says in due time after training with him, one will show up. Till then, I've been his personal apprentice even though I'm not formally enrolled, until today that is." It wasn't that hard to tell that he sounded a bit uncomfortable explaining that he didn't have the ability to summon one. He couldn't help but not be upset though, the other boy was curious, simply it.

It didn't take long of a walk before the group had reached the Training Grounds, the sounds of combat can be heard from inside. With an outstretched arm, he opened one of its doors to reveal a circular arena, the floor, in a pattern similar to stained glass of assorted colors. The upper right side can be seen in what can be a sort of observation room to watch above. Some sort of barrier seems to also be active to prevent outside interventions at the moment as the group can see a figure locked in combat with a few more smaller forms.

A closer look can reveal a bit more a figure clad in a full set of Armor, swinging and clashing with several knight and neoshadow forms of Heartless with a reverse held keyblade with grunts and clangs. With the opening of the door and its loud banging, a voice can be heard aloud from the figure. "Cut Simulation." Another computer like voice replied that echoed throughout the stadium, "Cutting Simulation." As the various forms and shapes of Heartless disappeared in a cluster of numbers, the figure looked to the group entering as the barrier itself vanished to allow the group to move closer. With keyblade still in hand, the figure waved it to the side to let it disappear before touching their chest, the armor vanishing to reveal robes and master attire, and the helmet vanishing to reveal the scarred face of a much older man, with a very prominent face of discontempt.

"I'm Master Queal, welcome to the Mirage Arena."

Last edited:
Melani out her keyblade away when they group started to move out. She too was curious as to why Kirin was here if he himself couldn’t summon a keyblade. Not that she had a problem with it, they were all here for their own reasons, just the unifying reason being they all had keyblades. After listening to Kirin’s explanation she understood. She also wondered how possible it was for someone to suddenly have a keyblad so late in life but that was perhaps something she would learn here. She didn’t have time to ask, however, in her thoughts she had fallen behind a little and jogged to catch up to the group.

Melani’s eyes widened a little when she saw where they were going. There were so many heartless, and the fighter was rather impressive. A smile formed on her face as she watched this man fight, she almost jumped in to join the fight with them but before she could reach out for her keyblade she heard the computerized voice and watched as the heartless disappeared. “Awwww...“ she mummbled and tilted her head when the man introduced himself. “Oh! Ooooohhh! You’re our professor then” she with a nod “if you didn’t want to meet in the classroom you coulda let us know. I’m sure we would have found this cool place” she flattly said with a nod

Desmond listened to Kirins answer, he felt awkward that he’d asked at all. It was a little rude of him, but this was their first day; he had promised himself that he would try to open up, ask questions and learn everything he could. In the end he was glad he asked, he didn’t know that someone could train their way into getting a keyblade. He’d assumed that they just showed up one day, like his did. But everyone’s journey was unique he guessed.

“Uh.... thanks...” Desmond replied when Kirin finished his explanation. Though, Due to Kirin answering his question, he’d had to walk at the head of the pack with him in order to listen to the answer. now that the conversation was over, he let himself fall towards a more comfortable locale... the back of the pack.

They entered the large arena and Desmond was shocked to see heartless at first, but quickly realized this was some kind of a simulation. Not that he had seen one of these before, it just seemed insane that a school would keep something like heartless where students were expected to train. Desmond watched the armor clad warrior cut apart heartless with a grace he had never seen before. It would be a lie to say his heart didn’t double it’s pace while he watched. This was all suddenly becoming very real, and he couldn’t help but smile a little to himself.

Because of her excitement Akari was barely paying attention to what Kirin, but understood the basic of master Queal saved him and then forced him to do boring desk work. Once inside her excitement increased from seeing Master Queal fighting those monsters. She got slightly disappointed when the monsters disappeared since she was only moments from summoning her keyblade and joining in on the fun.

Akari heard a female "awww" and then looked over to her new bestest friend Melani. "I know I wanted to fight those things too". She watched as Master Queal removed his armor and introduced himself. "Hi Master Queal, I'm Akari future most awesome keyblade wielder ever. This is my new awesome friend Melani, the quiet boy over there is Hiro, and the other boy still hasn't told us his name. So do we get to fight those things next, because that looked like a lot of fun." She summons her keyblade again with her left hand extended and then takes a twohanded grip onto her keyblade. She starts bouncing a little in place as she mentually prepares to start smashing things with her keyblade.

One will just show up? That's not how it... well, that might just be right. Hiro remembered the same thing happened to him. One second he was holding an old stick, and the next it had turned into some strange weapon. He walked with the rest of them to the Arena, and eventually their teacher. Why'd they have to come over here though?

As though to prove Akari right, Hiro remained quiet when she was kind enough to introduce him. He took a short step away from her as she summoned her weapon and looked ready to smack anything that got too close. Though, she wasn't too alone in that feeling. He'd been frustrated since having to come here, and didn't have much of a chance to vent any of that. The fingers on his right hand twitched slightly in anticipation for summoning his own weapon when the time came.

The Master simply cocked an eyebrow, remaining to his stoic face of unamusement. He nodded to one of them as she mentioned they could've met here if he mentioned it. Before he could reply, another girl in black and red jumped into the conversation. He simply kept his mouth shut as he looked over to Kirin, giving him a tilt to the side with his head. The apprentice nodded and immediately broke into a run, knowing what was about to happen as he ran off and disappeared into one of the rooms.

When, what was her name again, Akari? Had stopped talking, he finally spoke. "So, you done?", he didn't give her a chance to talk and ignored the keyblade as he looked over the rest of the new arrivals and continued speaking. "Some of you may not be impressed, I'll be frank, I can say the same", he spoke coldly, "To be honest, I didn't want new apprentices, I have better things to do. But while you're here, you can attempt to impress me."

He looked up at the observation deck, to which a waving Kirin could be seen. "All set Kirin? Training protocol A-5?", Queal asked aloud. "Yes sir!", replies the younger male with a voice of anticipation through the arena's announcement speakers. The master turns back to the group with the same eyebrow perked and gritted teeth in a sort of devilish smile, "Like I said, this is the Mirage Arena, Keyblade Wielders use this arena to train, and yet frankly enough, I don't see any of you worthy enough to even be standing here in front of me. So how bout this, let's have some fun, and if you make it through, maybe I'll decide on keeping and training all of you." Though it is not highly recommended to let or put through "first timers" on the first day through the Mirage Arena, it'll be a nice definitive way to test and see their strengths and limits.

With that, he points to the center of the arena's massive circle and heads to the same direction Kirin left to. "Head to the center, seems you all are itching for some fun when you came in anyways, how bout making this first day entertaining. Prove you deserve to be here."

One things for sure, this was certainly going to be interesting.

Last edited:
Desmond retreated into his hoodie when the loud girl introduced them, calling him the “other boy”. Of course he hadn’t been able to introduce himself, how was someone supposed to get a word in with this girl?! Ugh, he just didn’t know how to handle types like this.... luckily his spiraling train of though was interrupted by the master talking about testing them. A test with keyblades? Fighting? On the first day? Desmond probably wouldn’t be as good as the rest of them with the keyblade... but he knew a few tricks....

Once the master instructed them to go to the center Desmond decided he did know how to handle types like this. He could learn a thing or two.... so he gathered up all of his courage to step forward first. This was his chance to prove he could change... he summoned his keyblade into his right hand, pointing it directly at akari.
“Akari, right? So you wanna be ‘the bestest keyblade weilder ever?! Well... so do I! You’re gonna have to beat me and my dazzling constellation to do it! The names Desmond, and don’t you forget it!” His volume was loud and awkward, not convincing at all... probably. Outbursts like this certainly weren’t his style. His face was beat red, and with the outbursting introduction complete, he quickly turned away. ‘What did you just do?!’ Desmond’s thoughts practically screamed in his head as he reached the center of the arena.

Akari's excitement level for doing this combat test to show off her awesomeness is off the charts. Akari was surprised and excited when Desmond challenged her for bestest keyblade wielder ever. "I accept your challenge Desmond wielder of Dazzling Constellation. Me and Heart of Thorns never back down from a challenge. I bet I can beat more of these training enemies then you can. The loser has to buy chocolate for the winner." Akari rushes to the center of the room without giving Desmond any time to accept or decline her bet and gets into her combat stance.

'This so awesome I get to show off my awesomeness first day and I'm going to force a boy to buy me chocolate!!' Akari's thoughts about her challenge to Desmond. "Don't worry Melani, I'll share some of the chocolate I win with you." Akari prepares herself to jump at the closest enemy that appears.

Melanie was already making her way to the center while competition brewed between her peers. "That's the spirit!" she said with a smile. Melani held out her hand and her starlight appeared. It twirled in her hand as she had done it in class before she took on a beginning ready pose "Mhmm, and when I win maybe, just maybe I'll share with you" she said with a chuckle as she was in a competitive spirit but took it in a light hearted way as she had a lot of confidence in herself, certainly this task would be easy.

Hiro let out a small huff through his nose at Desmond's sudden outburst, quickly racing a hand over his lips to hide the smug expression that was starting to form. He didn't like the attitude of their teacher though, not even a little bit. He briefly entertained the notion of purposefully doing bad and getting himself thrown out and back to his old life. Though, there was that fear that they might somehow be able to take the Keyblade away from him if they found him not deserving of it. Was that possible? He wasn't all too keen on finding out, and so walked over to the center of the room, left hand in his pocket and the right dangling by his side, open and ready to summon his weapon in an instant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back