The Masquerade Troupe - OOC

(Don't worry, no spoiler here. But I'm using mobile and don't know how to apply a spoiler tab...)

Ooh! I actually knew that one, believe it or not. Never watched the show, but after looking it up, I realized its one I nearly began watching sometime ago. Not gonna count it obviously, but still. Thanks for reminding me!

Anything I put is a show I can wholly recommend. ...well, except maybe Bleach. Not sure why I put it, aside from having a good image to use.

Whyfor you hatin on Bleach? What'cha gonna hate on next? Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed, Outlaw Star, Akira, The Macross Saga, Bubblegum Crisis?

Because Bleach fails at the most basic levels of storytelling. When was the last time in Bleach Ichigo even said anything that wasn't some form of : "I will beat you. / I will protect X. / Bankai Hollow Quincy Super Mega Death Lazzzzzzer!"

The main character doesn't even check all the necessary boxes to be a fleshed out character. The easiest example: What is Ichigo's end goal?

Naruto? Hokage

Luffy? Pirate King

Gon? Finding his father

Sure their situations change and their end goal fades into the background most of the time, but it's always there. Ichigo just kind of fights because he's supposed to.

Kubo himself even admitted that the story of Bleach is just there so he can draw more cool fight scenes. Artist >>> Writer It's a real shame too, at the beginning he payed a lot more attention to character and world building.

Last edited by a moderator:
<laughs> Aren't most anime, even the one's with interesting characters, all about the BEEG BA DA BOOM! ? I still enjoy a good anime or even just a good animated movie, but once you've watched a few, it kind of feels like you've seen most of them.

I can't help but completely disagree with you, Tar. While I certainly get where you're coming from, not every story is the same.

There are so many great, unique tales out in the anime world! It just requires a little searching. 

I'll give you unique characters and situations sure, but overall? C'mon. Most stories fall into set patterns with set progressions and a limited palette of characters. I freely admit that there are some good ones out there, and some stories that gave me a WTF? moment. Those are the good ones. Where you can say, I didn't see that one coming. But when you get to my age, you've seen a lot of them, and it takes something really different to pique your interest.

I suppose so, I'll freely admit that I haven't seen quite enough to have the same mindset. But in the end, that's what it really comes down to. Mindset. 

I personally refuse to give up my mindset, and wish only to see the uniqueness of different anime. Sure, I'm not completely ignorant. I know full well that there are general baselines for every anime, character, plot line, etc. But why focus on the similarities? I personally choose to see what's unique about every story, and focus on that. Not what's the same. 

But ah well, we're all very different people, yes? It's interesting to see the mindsets of other people! 

<chuckle> When you're pushing 50, still read comic books, watch anime and animated movies and get upset when you can't make it to ComiCon it says something about mindset too. ;)  It just means I'm a little harder to impress.

Well what can you expect with anime? The medium of entertainment is just as prone needing results which make money as any entertainment medium, and that's why you generally see an anime/manga that's focused around boobs/harems/sexuality, fighting/violence/action, or a combination of the two. Animators/writers have to pay the bills just like the rest of us and unfortunately things that adhere to what I previously stated and widely accepted by large groups of individuals sporting disposable income are going to be what studios have their employees/writers/artists focusing on. Putting money into something that has a deep story and complex characters, but having a more limited demographic, is having the risk of said story going untouched from mainstream audiences and having EVERYONE go without being paid. Sure you've got those that are both successful AND complex/deep/enriching, but that's either like hitting a fly with a hand dart with luck or having enough money you can afford to have the product sit for a bit or shell out for MAJOR advertisement, but even then interest needs to hook eventually or losses will catch up.

Is the story original?

If the world interesting?

Are the characters interesting?

Are the tropes entertaining?

Is the animation impressive?

If the music really good?

How much fanservice do I feel like putting up with?

Did my roomates fill my anime list with hentai again? Of course they did.

These are the questions that make a person love or hate an anime.

I'm not too picky on what I'll watch, so I'll usually grab a show on a whim and not bother thinking about if it's any good or not until the end. I've found a lot of my favorites that way, but there is a lot of really shitty shows I slogged through as well.

No one's chatting, so I guess I'l just throw up the answer key to my game, aka my anime recommendation list!

In order from top to bottom:

1 - Darker Than Black 

2 - Magic Kaito 1412 

3 - GATE

4 - Ajin

5 - Hotarubi no Mori e

6 - Bleach - hate the show but love the character

7 - Kekkai Sensen

8 - D.Gray-man

9 - Pandora Hearts

10 - Tokyo Ghoul

11 - Tegami Bachi

12 - Full Metal Alchemist 

13 - Aldnoah.Zero

14 - Kuroko no Basket

15 - Black Butler

16 - Hunter x Hunter 

17 - Suisei no Gargantia

18 - Overlord

19 - K - no really, that's the name of the show 

20 - Bakemonogatari 

21 - and another for Magic Kaito 1412

I find inspiration from the oddest sources... 

I'll probably have my post out tonight, or after school tomorrow~

Wow...I actually got some work done! My post is roughly halfway done, easily able to be finished tomorrow. 

Finally, the nineteen day wait is over! I am never going to take that long again, even I know it was absurd. 

That...was so much dialogue... 

Okay, so how we wanna go about this troupe?

I'd say time skip posts ending with impressions and ideas about how to handle the job. 

Alright well we can do simple follow up posts from the previous events of training to the present with various levels of flashback and contemplation depending on what is wanted to be done. Everyone can have their characters react/discuss/plan/etc., and we can chat here in OOC to see exactly WHEN we're comfortable with an advance by @TheGossipLink link depending on how things feel story-wise. We could have a double round with the current line of posts completing, Gossip making appropriate reactions and worldly skips depending on what our characters did. We can either have one more round of 'prep time', or simply have Gossip incorporate a time skip to the actual heist.

Still very much here.The delay is a mix of struggling to come up with what to post and getting done with midterms.

So, anyone heard of the clown thing that's starting to sweep the nation? It's finally gotten bad in Iowa where I live. Just had some idiot chase a group of girls with a damn baseball bat dressed in a clown mask. It's crap like this that makes me worry for our country's future.

So, anyone heard of the clown thing that's starting to sweep the nation? It's finally gotten bad in Iowa where I live. Just had some idiot chase a group of girls with a damn baseball bat dressed in a clown mask. It's crap like this that makes me worry for our country's future.

Wow I love what King's doing with the It marketing.

Yeah, I know it all too well. Thankfully haven't seen anything myself yet, but some people around here have. 

Its some wacky stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread