• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Mad King (with Angelofwords)

Friedrick carefully started to plate everything, wanting it to all look perfect before Jonah got back. He resisted the desire to try just one teeeeeny bit of the fowl. If it was bad they would taste it together and probably laugh about it later. Once everything was in place he nodded to himself, looking rather pleased. His mother would be proud of the meal he made, he was sure.

He wiped his hands on the apron he had used before taking it off. It felt cozy in the kitchen despite its size and him being alone. If anything, he felt confident that Jonah would enjoy it. It was only fair that he did something for the other man. Jonah had sworn himself to him in his endeavor, however foolish it may come to be and Friedrick was more than grateful.

Sometimes he secretly thought that he wouldn't have minded a domestic life if he hadn't been born the heir to the throne.

Last edited:
It took him a moment to realize that he was clutching the hilt of his knife so tightly, veins practically bulging against his tanned skin. It took another moment for him to loosen his grip and tuck his knife away. Still, there was that sense of restlessness. A dark feeling that twisted his insides. He thought he was going to choke on it.

There was no calming himself down. He was a storm of emotion. Relief, surprise, anger, worry... It all whirled inside him, just a hairsbreadth away from exploding.

He clenched his hands into fists, wondering if he should just leave, before he said something he regretted. But he didn't want Frederick to worry that he never came back...

In the end, he settled for crossing his arms. And then he cleared his throat.

Friedrick did not scream. He didn't. Kings do not scream. .....ok maybe he did a little. He jumped at the sound of the clearing throat and whirled around, nearly toppling into the counter behind him. He let out a breath of relief when he saw it was only Jonah. He chuckled a little breathlessly with a hand over his pounding heart. "Jonah! You're back. I, um....I made you something. I-I know it's not much, but I hope you'll like it?" He gave Jonah a slightly uncertain smile, sensing his mood and unsure of where it had come from. Maybe something had happened in the village? He had tried to get him to stay, but when Jonah set his mind on something he was hard to sway. Maybe it was why they got along so well.

"I made some of mom's poached pears for dessert too. They should be cooled by the time we're done eating." He gestured vaguely towards the pears resting place. "I just...I made them as a thank you. For everything. And staying with me." He fidgeted with his fingers, a tick reserved only for Jonah and Madeline. "And-and going along with all of this." He knew he was rambling but he felt as he needed to excuse himself somehow. "You didn't have to and I'm very grateful. I know it won't be easy and I know it's...probably not going to end the best but I'm really grateful you're here."

His cool stance didn’t budge even when the King got jumpy and spun to him. Instead, he raised an eyebrow at the King. It was hard not to be angry after he’d explicitly told him to stay in his hiding place. What if they were wrong? What if someone had decided to come assassinate him after all? They could have some enemy they didn’t know about come to take advantage of the opportunity.

And yet, the more that his dear King spoke, the more he felt his cool anger soften. He really was weak to Frederick’s charms, wasn’t he? His gaze lowered to the man’s fingers, to the tick taking place right under their noses, and let out a deep sigh - the heated emotions dispelling right away. Just what was he going to do with him?

“You could’ve waited until I got back,” he answered lightly. “I was worried when I got back and saw that you weren’t in the place you said you would be.”

Friedrick had the grace to look a little cowed at that. "I'm sorry. I just...wanted to surprise you when you got back. I thought you would be hungry and it would be nice to come back to something that was ready to eat. It....it won't happen again." Friedrick may be a King, but he had the humility to apologize at least. After all, Jonah was right and he was the one in the wrong here. He had promised that he would stay put until Jonah got back so it was understandable that Jonah was upset about it. Really it had been a while since Friedrick had been on the receiving end of Jonah's cool side and it never ceased to startle him. Hopefully, the meal would be good and it would work doubly as an apology. He hoped so at least.

"We, um, we should hurry and eat before it's cold." Friedrick turned and busied himself with grabbing utensils to eat with and untying the apron from his waist. He did his best to not like the scolded child he felt like at the moment.

It wasn’t that he wanted Frederick to feel guilty. In fact, that made him feel even worse. He didn’t even know what he wanted. He just... Wanted the King to not worry him for once. Especially with what had happened not too long ago. Shaking his head at the thought, he smiles wearily at the other. It probably didn’t help that his trip into town had already put him on edge.

It was a relief when Frederick shifted their attention back to the food. He glanced towards the table, really seeing for the first time. Now that he was paying the food some attention, his mouth watered. He hadn’t bothered to eat anything, and that man from earlier had certainly forgotten about their drinks. He shrugged off his cloak and draped it over the back of his chair, a small smile on his face. “It does certainly look good.”

as he sat down, he picked up his utensils and considered the options with an intense look of focus on his face. After a moment, he tried a bit of the fowl. There was no outward signs of distaste on his face. In fact, his face was glowing. “It is good,” he decided with a nod.

Friedrick had watched for him to take the first bite. Pleased with his reaction he took a bite of it himself. He chewed only for a second before his expression went dark. It was horrible. "Jonah stop eating." He set his own fork down and buried his head in his hands. All that work for something that wasn't even edible. The seasoning was all wrong, the bird itself was tough and tasteless and so dry it was hard to swallow. "Just..." His voice wavered. "Don't eat it. Don't spare my feelings for this."

He could feel bitter tears sting his eyes and honestly, he didn't know where exactly they came from. Normally a mishap like this was laughable. He didn't understand what went wrong. His mother had been a force to reckon with in the kitchen and she had taught him a lot and-

Oh. Oh, that's what it was, wasn't it? He had gone into the kitchens not only as a thank you to Jonah but to also feel closer to his mother. The bird being bad wasn't the problem, it was just the straw that broke the camel's back. He took in a sharp breath, trying desperately to bottle up the feelings he hadn't time to air the moment he had lost both his parents in the span of three days. Duty to Kingdom and his little sister had never given him the proper time to mourn.

He had lost the right to fall apart the moment his father had drawn his last breath. He had been forced to hold himself together for Madeline's sake at the funeral, hadn't even allowed himself to cry as crown and mantel were laid upon the young King not even a week past the internment and papers piled and people laid their heavy expectations on the shoulders of a boy of 17. He couldn't even go to the comfort of his friend as late nights began and there was no time for rest. And here he was, eight years later and still grieving with every breath he took.

A bewildered expression soon crossed his face, his fork stilling in midair. He didn't wholly understand what the problem was at first. After all, he already felt that the fact Frederick had cooked for him was more than enough. He couldn't ask for anything more. It wasn't that he was trying to 'spare the King's feelings'. As he considered just what to tell the King, his fork trembled. Soon enough, he was rising from his seat. He sat on the floor beside the King and rested his back against the other's chair.

"Frederick, do you know why I always said that I liked your cooking the best, ever since I was a small child?" He gave a moment for the other to think about it, before he was continuing on. "It was because you made it just for me. Such a concept was alien to me, as a child that had practically been born on the streets. I couldn't even remember what my parents looked like. Didn't even know if I had parents." The smile on his face wasn't bitter. He fidgeted with a thread on his shirt. "I've sometimes wondered if you can even miss people that feel like strangers..."

He shook his head. That was a subject for another time.

"But either way, I've ate far worse than you think, just to survive. Maybe you could have made it better, but to someone like me that's just touched that you thought about me enough to make dinner in my name, I'm just happy that you thought about me at all. Even the cooks food paled in comparison, because unlike them, you put actual soul into everything you cook."

Jonah's words made it all the harder to wrestle long festered grief back into its place. Jonah always had the right words, knew exactly what to say to him. Jonah treated him like he was the world and Friedrick for the life of him couldn't understand why. He couldn't understand why the universe had deemed him so worthy for such a friend. How Jonah could make him breathe even within the crush of his duties, something that had him walking like a herded cow, scared of straying the path put before him. But he had strayed and yet he was ever faithful Jonah beside him.

It was hard to stifle the sob that threatened to burst forth, harder still to contain the tears. If the dam broke he knew there would be no going back from it. Maybe though, now was the time and place. Now was the time that he could finally let his soul air of the swallowed grief he had been drowning in for so long. Only Jonah would bear witness to the beautiful shatter it would be, and help him quietly mend the pieces that were left. Maybe too, Jonah could help to fill some of that black void within him.

But fear choked him of what he would be on the other side of it, and he didn't say a word.

"It's okay to cry," he suddenly broke the silence with such insane words. His head tilted, and he gazed up into the ceiling as if he were trying to gaze past it and into the sky beyond. "I think it's beautiful to have a reason to grieve." He didn't look back, afraid as he was to see the face that awaited him. It would probably make him want to cry for the grieving King. And, well... He had to be strong for him. So long as he could make sure Frederick was safe, he could stay strong. "You've been strong for so long," he coaxed softly. "If you don't allow yourself time to grieve, then when?"

Jonah wondered if Frederick would think he was creepy, for watching him so much? He didn't think he'd ever seen the man cry actual tears for his parents' deaths, nor for the boulder of responsibility that was unwittingly placed upon his shoulders at so young an age. He's kept it all bottled up for so long and while he was sure he could never fully understand the responsibility that came with being king, he still knew that not allowing oneself to grief would ultimately destroy him.

"I promise I'll always be with you, but I can't help you much if you don't also help yourself." He found it kind of funny. An assassin/attendant giving his King practical life advice. But well, he's learned a lot over the years. Namely, how to function as a human being. He had to for him.

"I miss them." Was all Friedrick could choke out before the admission broke the dam and a harsh sob tore through him. "I miss them so much. It's not fair. Why did they have to leave us?" There was no true blame in the words that came spilling out between body-wrenching sobs. Only the pure grief of a child wondering why the world had to take away his parents so soon. Friedrick shook and cried in a way that he never had before, years of carefully built walls crumbling with each tear that came dripping down his face.

Madeline had suffered the same, had come to him to cling and wail and he had told himself that he had to be strong for her sake, for everyone in the castle's sake. But Atlas could only bear the world for so long before he started to be crushed and break beneath the weight of it. There was no longer a sister, a kingdom to suffer the weight for now. Now he could let slide the mantel and crown, place down his burden if only for a moment. For now, he could take all the time he needed to let his soul heal. And he knew at the end of it, whether he came back whole or not, Jonah would still be there beside him, his ever-faithful shadow. No. Shadow no longer. Jonah could be truly beside him now, not behind. They would walk this path together.

"I miss them."

The pure agony behind the words tightened around his heart. Such a gentle person shouldn't have to be forced to deal with such a burden, of his parents' deaths nor the burden of King. Admittedly, after the previous King and Queen had died, he was angry. He wondered how they could've left such a burden on Frederick's shoulders? Of course he knew that it wasn't their fault, but he needed someone to blame. And they were the unlucky souls that got his blame.

After some minutes of listening to the King's gut wrenching sobs, he slowly moved. Not away from the King like one might expect, but instead, his arms came around him. He wrapped his arms around the man's back and swept a hand gently over his spine. He didn't speak, and instead stayed as a comforting presence to the grieving man.

Friedrick cried for a long time. How long he couldn't say for sure but his throat and lungs burned with every breath, his eyes were puffy and stung from how much he cried. The sobs had slowed to hiccups and he sniffled, rubbing his face on his arms, trying to banish the tracks along his cheeks. It had taken a while to become aware that Jonah was there, holding him like he could break at any moment. In a way, he felt like he would. He had cried out his soul it felt like. But past all the discomfort he felt......better. Better than he had in years, better than the day his mother had first passed and his father followed not long after.

He felt like some great burden had been lifted that he had forgotten he had been carrying. Now he just felt tired, and drained, and empty but in a good way. He leaned into the comfort of Jonah and sighed. "Sorry." He whispered hoarsly. "You shouldn't have to see me like this."

Last edited:
He held Frederick for as long as he felt the other needed. There was plenty of time to worry about the future later, but for now... He was content to be Frederick's rock. A presence that the other could depend on. He wasn't quite sure how long they stayed like that, taking in comfort from the other. All he knew was, after some time, Frederick's tears had slowed. Slowly, his arms loosened from the other and he settled back onto his feet, peering up at the other from beneath hooded lashes.

"What are you talking about? A friend is one of the best kinds of people that should have to see you like that~" A small smile appeared on his lips and he got to his feet, laying a palm on his shoulder. "Now, how about I clean up and then we can get you off to bed?" And then he can cook up Frederick something that the King can at least be somewhat happy with.

He sniffled and hiccuped a little again, rubbing the last of the tears away. "What about the pears?" He muttered. With his luck, they would be inedible too, and he wasn't sure if he could handle that right now. A small part of him whispered that he should be embarrassed about the breakdown he had had in front of Jonah, but what was there to be embarrassed about?

Jonah wasn't judging him, in fact, he had gently encouraged it. If Friedrick was being completely honest with himself it had been well needed too. Ever faithful Jonah had genty coaxed out and eased bitter pain like he had been born to do it. Yet again Friedrick wondered what he had done right in the world to earn such a man by his side. If Friedrick had a choice in the matter? He would do it again and again if it meant that Jonah got to stay by his side forever.

He raised a brow at the mention of the pears. Was he really worried about something so insignificant? Without much preamble, he snatched one up and bit out of it. After chewing for a moment, he smiled. "It's good, I promise." This time, he was also purely talking from the King's standards. He took another and handed it to Frederick. "Feed yourself with this for now, and I'll bring you something more filling later, okay?" Admittedly, he wasn't that great of a cook. He'd always taught himself just enough to survive long nights away from the castle, so his cooking skills were a bit mediocre.

But he was sure that he could make something out of his mediocre cooking skills! He was already cleaning up the food, looking over the table with an extremely focused look. He could keep some of it for himself, and maybe give the rest to the wild animals? They could fatten themselves up and make for excellent hunting later on.

Friedrick sniffled again and took the pear offered to him. He bit into it. It tasted just like his mother used to make. They had always been a favorite of his father's. He used to joke that his mother's cooking was what had made his father fall in love in the first place. The thought almost made him tear up again but he was all cried out at this point. At least the pears had turned out well. He was grateful.

He tiredly watched as Jonah cleared away the table. Next time, when Jonah was still in the castle, he would make something again and this time he would be sure to try it before trying to serve it. Maybe they could even cook together. He couldn't help a smile at the thought. Something as simple as cooking together filled a little bit of the hole left from his little crying bout. He could just imagine the mischief they would get into together in the kitchens.

He stood by for a moment, watching the King bite into his pear. He didn't completely relax until the man seemed happy with his food. It was only after that that he began clearing away the table. Once he was done, he took the man's shoulder and gently steered him towards his rooms. While they headed through the halls, he decided to fill the King in on what he learned while in town. The rumors about Frederick, the number of people that either claimed they 'knew he was bad all along' or wondered if there was something more to it. Of course, he put it all into nicer terms, certainly not wanting to hurt the King any further.

"I did meet an interesting person in town as well," he immediately shook his head in wonder at the thought of that strange man. "I guess he thought that I was a suspicious figure, because he stopped me as soon as I set foot into the Market place. A traveler, he called himself. He claimed to want to know more about the supposed 'mad king'." He couldn't stop the sudden furrowing of his brows, the way his lips dipped in displeasure. But no, he didn't want to tell Frederick about how the stranger clearly considered all of this as nothing more than entertainment.

A sigh slipped out before he could stop it and he couldn't help but murmur, "An annoying guy like that... I doubt that'll be the last I've seen of him."

Friedrick laughed but it was a little weak and watery sounding. "Well, our scheme seems to be working at least. If the commoners believe, the nobles will begin to as well. They won't leave us alone for long. I half expect they'll gather forces to storm the castle before they dream of asking for help. We have to strike while they're weak and not expecting it."

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I'll have to start harassing the other countries as well if we truly want their attention. However....travelers like that man you met might be helpful in spreading the word outside of the country."

He paused a moment, looking out one of the windows. "Fortify the castle with ice and snow and draw the attention of the other countries with the same. That's the first two things that must be done." He looked Jonah and smiled. "Easy, right?"

He resisted the urge to say what next came to him-- "Sure, if you consider this 'working'." He was still feeling annoyed about... Well, all of this. The thought that the King felt like it was his responsibility to bring the other Kingdoms together. Of course, it didn't matter what he said. Frederick would continue with this suicide mission regardless. All he could do was become just as mad as his King and follow him into hell. "Indeed."

As the King paused beside a window, he came to an abrupt standstill as his thoughts turned elsewhere. He found himself wondering about the affairs of the princess, Madeline. He'd seen someone grab her as he fell, but what of after that? Surely he could be allowed to figure out her whereabouts when he left again. The King may even appreciate that.

He was so deep in his thoughts that, when Frederick called out to him, it took him a moment to respond. He blinked, "A-Ah. Completely easy." His brows furrowed. "And what would you have me do?"

Friedrich paused, thinking over Jonah's question. "For now..." He started slowly. "I think you should keep your ear to the ground. If the nobles gather an army I want us to be the first to know. Gather or use any informants you can. The sooner we know their movements, the better we can plan for them. We'll use the secret passages from now on. If needed I can use my magic to get around. If we stir things up enough they may even call the Meeting of Kings."

The Meeting of Kings was something that hadn't happened since before his father had died and Friedrich had taken the throne. While he had spoken with the other Kings through missives and messengers he had never met any of them face to face. Especially once the wars had started up. The only thing that would bring them to the Meeting once more would have to be him. He had to make himself a bigger threat than they saw in any others.

"I'll have to fortify this place and make it a proper ice castle, eh? Have to really play the part."

With a nod, he started to lower himself into a bow. Until he remembered that Frederick would likely scold him again. A smile twitched at the corners of his lips as he refrained. He stepped towards the King and placed himself at his side, staring out the window. "If they call the Meeting of Kings, then we'll truly know that this plan is working, and that they're truly considering you as a threat." They certainly didn't call it for just any criminal, after all. It was exclusively meant for threats considered as a threat to all.

They would be forced to work together.

With the King's last words, he found himself huffing, "It would seem so. But you're a dramatic bastard," with this, he side eyed Frederick. "I have faith that you'll manage it." Truly, this was one of the King's most dramatic plans to date.

Friedrick laughed at that. "Yes! It's true I am a dramatic bastard. Father always said that a good King was a good actor after all." He chuckled softly and moved from the window. "I think I'm...going to get a little more rest before anything though. Then we can get to work on painting the targets on our backs." He patted Jonah on the shoulder.

"Again, Jonah. Thank you. Thank you for deciding to stick with me through this. I know you don't think it's the best of ideas, but you're by my side anyways. I couldn't ask for more."

He was hard pressed to resist the urge to roll his eyes. Really, Frederick could do to be less dramatic, especially with his life on the line. As the King turned away from the window, he moved with him. "That would be wise," he muttered as he fixed the collar of his shirt. "Allow me to escort you to your rooms." Frederick had said that there would be no assassins this early on, but even so, he couldn't let his guard down. He was taken somewhat off guard as the man patted his shoulder.

Brows furrowing, he went to call out to the other, only to be stopped with those words. His face burned at the words of gratitude and he looked away, once again fidgeting with the collar of his shirt. "Well, who else is going to keep you from getting killed?" He scoffed and then looked away.

"There's no one more qualified than you." He said lightly.

The walk back to his room was quiet. Friedrick still wasn't used to the absolute silence of the castle now and it unnerved him a bit, though he would never admit it. His thoughts strayed to Madaline as they walked. He prayed that she was well, that she was being cared for. If he wanted to create a peaceful world for her, he had to cause as much chaos as possible. The irony was not beyond him in that.

It would be best to use his magic in order to get around as quickly as possible. Teleportation was finicky though and used a lot of power to accomplish. He was confident in his ability though, even knowing what the repercussions would be for using that much power. It wasn't something that Jonah knew about and Friedrick would keep it that way for as long as possible. Power always comes at a price, but Friedrick was willing to pay. For Madeline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back