• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Mad King (with Angelofwords)

He wasn't sure how long they sat there, gaining strength in each other's company, taking a rare moment to just bask in each other's company. As the King spoke, he ran a hand smoothly over the other's back, trying to tell the other in his own way that he was safe. The King was going to become a Mad King, and he his most valuable tool. He was certain that even if the Mad King had gone truly mad, he'd have stuck by him nonetheless. Regardless of the path, Jonah was destined to be at his side.

While Frederick cared about changing this world, he didn't. All he cared about was making Frederick happy. He truly had only cared about that ever since they were young. He'd long since stopped caring about the state of this world.

As Frederick pulled back, his hands lingered, almost as if he wanted to pull him back into his arms. But he refrained. "What is a mad King without a loyal tool willing to walk beside him into hell?" He huffed gruffly. As the King mentioned his exhaustion, he cautiously looked him over. Exhaustion was in every inch of him, a fact that pulled at him. Climbing to his feet, he grabbed the King's arms. "Then let's go rest. We'll also need time to think of our next course of action, after all."

Friedrick let Jonah pull him to his feet. He laughed weakly. "Rest sounds amazing right now."

The walk to his rooms was eery, to say the least. The castle had never been so silent before. Even in the depths of night, there was always at least some activity, whether from the guards or someone else having a late night. Now it was morning and there wasn't a whisper of anyone else there. Now it was the two of them. Suddenly the castle seemed so much bigger without anyone in it.

He took a steadying breath. Jonah was still here. He wouldn't leave, so the castle wasn't truly empty.

Even though he'd talked about getting some rest, he doubted that he would be getting some sleep any time soon. Now that they were on the 'evil' side, before long people would probably want to send assassins and the like to kill his highness. He didn't possess strong, offensive magic like the king. Rather, it simply made it easier to sneak around and get in and out of places. From now on, he'd probably have to rely on it more than ever.

On the way to the King's rooms, he snuck a glance at their surroundings. It was odd how, just hours before, the castle had been filled to the brim with activity. And now, you could have a needle drop.

A humorless smile leapt across his lips. Even though it wasn't like when they were young, he couldn't help remembering... "As usual, your highness, I'm protecting you from the dark, dark horrors of the world. Remember when we were young and I declared that I was going to 'fight all of the monsters for you'?" He shook his head, chuckling softly. "I'm sure that child didn't think he would ever be in this sort of situation. Still, I don't think he would regret it one bit."

Friedrick smiled a little at Jonah's words. "You said you'd fight all the monsters after I had a nightmare. It was late and father and mother were away from the castle. You were the first one I thought to run to when I woke up. The maids found us curled up together under your blankets." He laughed fondly. "Madeline was so upset that we had a sleepover without her...."

He went quiet for a moment. "When father heard about what we did....he patted both our heads and told us to include Madeline next time." He paused by one of the windows, looking out. "....mother and father....I wonder what they would say about this..."

Absently he started to try and work out some of the snarls in his hair with his fingers. "My ancestors are probably rolling in their graves...."

He chuckled again and shook his head. Honestly, some of the things that he'd done back then made him cringe inwardly. He was just a bratty kid that declared how he was going to 'make this world a better place for him'. When had these feelings started? When he'd 'fearlessly' saved Frederick's toy from getting soaked? Or maybe they'd started ever since he'd first met him.

When the King stopped, he stopped too. Already, this path was affecting his King. They couldn't have that. He stepped towards the King and took bunches of the King's hair in his hands, slowly combing nimble fingers through snarled hair. "I think they'd be sad that you felt like you had to do this," he offered lightly. "I think they'd understand though, after all, your parents were King and Queen themselves." He couldn't say that he knew what Frederick's ancestors would think. He wasn't even sure that he believed in an after life.

And here Jonah was with all the right words. Friedrick let his own hands fall as Jonah started to fix his hair for him. "....I won't regret this, Jonah. I won't let myself regret this." He said softly. "Come what may, this is the path we are walking now. Come hell or high waters, we will bring an end to the wars. I'll make sure of it." He looked over his shoulder and smiled.

"As long as you're by my side, I can do anything, Jonah."

The corners of his lips twitched at the King's bold words. When he was young, he'd thought that the King could do anything he set his mind to. But somehow, he didn't think that this was what his past self had in mind. He was still weaving his hands through the King's silky hair when he spoke such words that gave his heart a jump start. After considering Frederick for a moment, he smiled idly. "That sounds somewhat like a proposal, my dear king," he couldn't help teasing before allowing his hands to fall away. Turning on his heel, the advisor walked ahead to open the door for the King.

Friedrick turned to watch Jonah walk to the door and softly cleared his throat. "Right, um, thank you, Jonah." He walked into his room and then smiled at Jonah over his shoulder. "I just want you to know that...there is no one else I'd rather walk this path with. I don't know what I did to deserve you, Jonah, but I thank the gods every day for it."

He looked around his room for a moment. From here on out it would be up to them to keep themselves fed and everything clean. Well, his times out hunting with his father would help at least. They wouldn't starve. "Get some rest, Jonah. Some real rest. It'll take time for word to get out anyways, so let's use it while we can."

"His highness is awfully gushy today," he hummed lightly, arms crossed behind him. It was like they were still exchanging playful banter in the middle of the day, with servants milling about around them. One hand rested lightly on the door frame, clenching and unclenching slowly. In his mind's eye, it should've been the other way around. He didn't know what he did to deserve Frederick.

At first, he wanted to argue the king more, but he was right. As much as he wanted to be at the King's side for all hours of the day, he was still human and still needed sleep. After struggling a moment more, he reluctantly nodded. "Alright." And then he shot the King a stern look. "Be sure to yell if something happens." He turned and headed to his own room.

Friedrick watched him go and quietly shut the door. He sighed heavily and went to his bed, barely kicking off his boots before he faceplanted into the pillows. He lay there for a long time, just contemplating his choices from the past few hours. He would never stop being grateful that Jonah decided to stick with him through this insane idea.

Eventually sleep actually found him. He was so exhausted that he didn't even dream as he slept safely tucked under his covers. His body had finally warmed back up to normal. It would probably be one of the last times it ever would.

That day, he knew exactly what he had to do. Early the next morning, he told the King of his idea. They had to know just how quickly the rumors were spreading, and more over, they had to know what people were saying about his highness. So he left as soon as possible, donning a dark cloak that hid his features. It was a risk, going into town. But they were going to take far worse risks in their pursuit of their ideals.

He tried not to think about the King all alone in the castle, shaking his head at his own thoughts. Surely people wouldn't sent assassins already, they'd have to muster up the man power first. Not to mention, his highness was capable of fending off assassins. What was a King without his swordsmanship? Not to mention, he'd told the King to hide in one of their secret passage ways.

As he passed through the market place, he kept an ear attuned to the gossip. It seems that many people were on edge, but more than that... They wondered if the King was possessed. Why else would such a kind, gentle king turn to blood shed? Still, others wondered if perhaps he wasn't as gentle as everyone thought.

"I knew it from the start!" A man proclaimed, scowling at those that cared to listen. "Who could possibly be that kind?! I knew he had ulterior motives!"

If that reaction wasn't what we were hoping for, I'd have already cut you down, yanking his cloak tighter around himself he shot the man the evil eye and prepared to leave, only to feel a hand on his shoulder.

Friedrick stayed quietly where Jonah had made him go. Honestly, he was really nervous about Jonah's idea to go into town. Maybe part of it was now he was alone in the castle. He wasn't scared of being attacked, not this early in the game, but he was worried about Jonah being found out. He hoped everything would work out.

Ryan had heard an interesting rumor yesterday of the King of this little northern Kingdom going mad. He wasn't a citizen but a traveler, wandering the continent and exploring everything he could. This, however, caught his attention. If it was actually true. A supposedly gentle King suddenly snapping and killing people was certainly a story.

So imagine his surprise when he saw a very suspicious figure in a cloak, hovering outside the marketplace. He had to admit, he was curious. So he took it upon himself to take a hand and put it on the cloaked figure's shoulder. What could he say, he liked things to be interesting.

What he didn’t expect, was for someone to lay their hand on his shoulder. His entire body stiffened, the urge to lash out at the person rising... He considered his options. Should he run? Should he snatch himself back? He could easily lose a pursuer in this crowd, but he’d rather prefer to avoid causing a show. Besides, if this person truly wanted to cause trouble, he wouldn’t have simply touched him. He would have done something more.

“Can I help you?” He intentionally deepened his voice, not sure if this person would recognize him by voice alone. He turned slightly, just enough so that he could get a glimpse of the other person, but they couldn’t get a good glimpse on him.

It was just as he thought, he didn’t recognize the other person at all. But that didn’t mean that they wouldn’t recognize him.

"Sorry, couldn't help but notice that you, uh, don't really fit in with the rest of the crowd here." Ryan removed his hand, using it to rub the back of his head sending firey locks standing at odd angles. "Though, I have heard some....rather interesting rumors. I'm a bit of a traveler, you see. I couldn't help but hear that the King of this Kingdom may have gone a bit mad?"

Honestly he...hadn't really planned out what he was going to do once he had gotten the stranger's attention. He could tell now that the cloaked man seemed a bit of the mousy sort, more likely to be found in a library than causing troubles. The man looked far more bookish than thug, to be sure.

A frown slowly pulls at his lips as he considers the figure. They weren’t what he was expecting when he got unexpectedly stopped out of no where. He kept his hands close to his chest, fighting the urge to reach for his hidden knives. He might have been an assassin, but that didn’t mean he killed indiscriminately. As he looked the figure over, he couldn’t help but noticing that he seemed to be the exact opposite of Frederick, something that caused him no small amount of homesickness.

However, one the man talked about the rumors, he straightened. This could be his chance of ensuring that the rumors had a wide reaching effect. “It’s true,” his answer was firm with a strong sense of finality. “I was there, you see. He killed his advisor with no remorse, and sent us all scattering. You should’ve seen the look in his eyes... Hd would’ve murdered us all, I guarantee it.”

Perhaps he shouldn’t have spoken so much, but he wanted to take the chance before the male left. A strong bitterness tightened around his heart when he talked ill about the King.

"Oh ho? Is that so. Say, stranger, may I offer you a drink? I want to hear more about this King." Ryan grinned at him. "Name's Ryan. wanderer, explorer, traveller, whatever you want to call me. I've been through many countries and I have to say, this is the most exciting one I've been to in a long time. How many can boast that their King's snapped and gone on a rampage, eh?" He chuckled. "If you were there, that must mean that you knew the King before, no? What was he like? I've heard that he was both gentle as a lamb and a wolf in sheep clothing. So which is it?"

The offer nearly makes him completely turn around in surprise, but he was reminded that he was still hiding himself from the general populace. Even if this guy was a stranger to their Kingdom, he still could have heard what the Advisor looked like. Or, heavens forbid, have seen what he looked like. It was already risky enough that he'd decided to come into town so soon after the King 'going mad'.

The man's flippant attitude over the King's supposed madness made him feel restless. His hands curled and uncurled as he fought the rising blood lust that, as yet, dwelled in his veins. Was this just entertainment to him? His eyes narrowed. And yet, the traveler continued to speak, seemingly not noticing his annoyance.

Which is it, indeed. He crossed his arms, looking away with a frown eternally etched across his lips. But thinking about the state of the King before this mad farce, his heart softened. "He was gentle, even when it meant that others might manipulate. His late parents and his sister loved him like he was the world, to many people, he was. Which is why it feels so odd that the Kingdom's 'darling King' would throw it all away... For nothing." He had started, intending for it to be another one of his lies but in the end... He had meant every single word.

Why? Why would he risk so much for these people? He knew, of course. It wasn't that he was doing it for these people. He was doing it for his sister. The answer caused him some degree of agitation. After all, he cared deeply for the King and was determined to risk his entire life for him, but he also cared a fair deal for Madeline.

Ryan was completely oblivious to How upset Jonah was getting over his attitude over the whole ordeal. After all, the Mad King wasn't his King, so why should he be too concerned with it? He listened to Jonah talk about Friedrick and nodded, interested. "I see. I see, how fascinating! He really must have gone mad if he did such a thing. From the sounds of it, he was a pretty good King."

Ryan rubbed his chin, thinking for a moment. "I wonder what made him finally snap? As far as I knew this was the only kingdom that isn't currently fighting with another kingdom. Things will certainly be interesting from here on out! And you said he had a sister? She make it out of the castle in one piece too?"

He stayed silent, willing the blood lust to depart from him. He couldn't let himself react to every single person's ill will towards the King. Of course they would think the King had gone mad or was evil. Of course this traveler would only see it as entertainment, since he had no attachment to the King. And yet, none of that made him want to refrain from killing indiscriminately. In the end, he didn't answer the traveler's words about the King, whether he was mad or not. And besides, it was best to let him come to his own conclusions.

When he made an inquiry into Madelin's health, however, he sharpened to attention. He tilted his head, pretending to ponder for a moment. "I believe I saw someone dragging her away, so I rather hope that she did."

"Good, good. I'd hate to see such a pretty country get snatched up by some greedy bastard while squabbling over the throne. Anyways, I must be off, stranger!" He flashed Jonah a grin and was off before he could say another word, disappearing into the crowd. It sure had been an interesting conversation! A king driven mad, a princess on the run, and all the countries at war. It was almost something right out of an epic! He had finally found some real excitement, something he had sought the moment he had set foot on the road. What would be more interesting than finding the princess and placing himself right along such a grand tale? Surely there was history to be made in these times!

Ryan whistled to himself as he brought his pack a little higher on his shoulder and found the open road once more. There was a princess to find.

... It wasn't like he wanted to speak to the person for another moment, to be honest. That kind of person had him completely on edge. They were a wild card, willing to do whatever it took for entertainment's sake. Still, he shook his head as the man left him behind. "What a weird person..." Well aware that he'd been interrupted while spying on the market place, he continued his business. Some hours later, it was just as he had first thought. The people were divided. Many were confused, not certain how to handle the thought of of a normally gentle King going mad. Others were so 'certain' that he was crazy from the start.

And still, others were wary for the future ahead with war on the horizon. It wasn't good enough, but it was a start. He headed back to the castle, taking a secret passage so that no one would be the wiser.

Friedrick had stayed put for as long as he could in the little place Jonah had secreted him away into. After a while though he had started to get worried and restless and had found himself in his office, absently shuffling and sorting papers and working through work that he had missed in the past few days. It hadn't even occurred to him that there really wasn't a point in finishing his work until he was already done. Realizing what he did he groaned at himself.

Soon after he found himself shuffling about in the kitchen, a little disturbed by the emptiness of the usually bustling place. He stared for a while before nodding to himself. Rolling up his sleeves and pulling back his hair, the young King went to work. Just because he was a King didn't mean he couldn't take care of himself! Plus Jonah was sure to be hungry when he got back and cooking had always made him feel closer to his mother.

She may have come from a poor noble family, but that hadn't stopped his father from falling in love. They had been so poor that his mother had to help in the kitchens and with cleaning, something that she had passed to her children despite their status. 'It never hurts to know how to look out for yourself!' she had always said to them. Their father had approved, saying it was not a bad idea for royalty to know and appreciate how hard their staff worked for them.

It didn't take him long to reach the end of the tunnel and creep out into the gardens. As he knelt there for a moment, he glanced around cautiously. They should have been safe alone in the castle, for now, but he still wasn't about to lower his guard. His senses were attune to their surroundings, ear cocked for the slightest noise. But there was nothing.

He slowly relaxed and hurried towards the spot where he was certain that Frederick would be waiting for him. And yet, he came to find that Frederick was not where he left him. His heart gave a harsh thump as he stared into the passage. Panic tightened around his chest like a vise. What if? He quickly turned to the door. What if? His footsteps echoed coldly on the tiles. What if?

"Frederick!" He called out the King's name, not caring about how odd it sounded, coming from him. He didn't normally call the King's name these days.

What if? What if? What if?

Friedrick was lost in his own world, humming softly to himself as he pulled free the small fowl from the oven. The pantry was well stocked, might as well use it after all. He put it down to rest and then sent over to stir the mixed vegetables in their pot. The potatoes were baked and being kept warm, the bird was cooked, the vegetables almost. There was a light dessert, poached pear in sweet sauce, cooling quietly to the side for dessert. If Friedrick was being honest, this was probably the most relaxed he had been since his parent's passing.

A weight was gone from his shoulders, something that he had grown so used to he had forgotten it was even there. Right now he could forget about kingly duties and ambitions. Right now he could push aside thoughts of what was to come and what had happened already. Right now he could just focus on him and Jonah and the meal they would share.

He searched for the King in vain. Frederick didn't answer his summons, and he didn't hear the wayward King for a while. The castle was far too silent without its people, and it was far more desolate without its King. The silence was unbearable, crushing in on him in a way that he couldn't explain. He just knew that he had to be sure of Frederick's safety. If anything happened to him... It would be all his fault. He would never forgive himself.

His vision blurred and his breathing quickened. He was rapidly reaching his breaking point when the sounds reached his ears. Jonah's head snapped towards it and he slid to a stop -- the kitchens. A knife was in his hand scarcely before he'd made a conscious decision to reach for it. Slowly, he crept towards the noises.

The rapid pace of his thoughts slowed to a standstill, narrowing in on a specific point. If there was danger to be found, he would meet it. And if someone had taken the his King, then he would save him. But what met him was not an aggressor, or the sight of a bound King. It was Frederick. Doing domestic work.

He stared at the scene for a bit too long, trying to make sense of... Well, everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back