• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Mad King (with Angelofwords)

TheDarkButterfly

Professional Procrastinator
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Friedrick had been crowned at a young age when the King and Queen passed of a terrible disease that had swept through the country. At the tender age of 17, he had to take up the heavy mental as King of the North. With a strength that had not been seen in the royal family for generations, he proved himself to be worthy of his title. Beloved by Kingdom and sister alike, His reign of nearly ten years was prosperous. That was until war finally came to their borders. The other kingdoms of the continent had been fighting each other for the last five years. It now came to their lands.

He held an urgent missive in his hand. It was late, far later than he should be up. Madeline and the other residents of the castle had long gone to bed, yet here he was with a single candle burning and a crumpled note in his hands. The Holy Lands had been invaded, pillaged by their neighbor to the south. This war-torn world was not what he had promised to his sister, was not what he had sworn to his parents on their death beds. It had only been 8 years since their parent's passing. 8 years since his coronation. Only three of them had been peaceful, with no rumor or threat of war.

It had been five days since he had received word, and yet he still could give no order to muster troops. To send men to die in a useless war was more than he could take, yet if he did nothing the council would wish to depose him. Madeline was too young, too inexperienced and innocent to bear the weight of war on her thin shoulders. If the council put her on the throne at 16, she would be nothing more than a puppet to them, a tool to be used and disposed of once done. He could not do that to her. He could not allow her to fall into that gilded cage of honeyed poison and secret knives.

The young King pressed the palms of his hands against his eyes, thoughts swirling. He hadn't slept hardly at all since the dire message had been received. Tonight would be no different. The council would expect him to do something in the morning, yet the answer was so far out of reach. There was no answer that would have a happy ending. Not for his kingdom or any others. People would die, are dying, and yet for all his powers and abilities all his insurmountable magic swirling in his veins, there was not a thing he could do to stop it.

The King sat alone in his office, the world around him asleep and blissfully unaware, and he despaired.

Over the years, he'd grown up alongside the King. He liked to think that he'd seen Frederick at his best and his worst, but as he'd come to find out... He was wrong. Being raised as the King's right hand man, he'd come to be an excellent 'Frederick whisperer'. At least, he'd come to think so! Even his sister agreed. But now...

With war right on their borders, everyone was a little tense. Everyone wondered just what the King was going to do. Surely he wouldn't let such a thing happen, right? He stood up for the king at every opportunity. How could they honestly doubt the man?! Sure he had started from a frighteningly young age, but it wasn't as if he'd done terribly. If anything, he'd surpassed everyone's wildest dreams. And he stood at his King's side, patiently guarding him from assassins and ill talk alike. This was what he had been raised for, but even if he hadn't, he was certain that he would have done it anyway.

Now, late at night, he intercepted a maid on the way to the King's rooms, gracefully catching the tray of tea from her arms. Shooting her a teasing wink, he promised to see this dreadfully important package right to the safety of his highness. She proceeded to roll her eyes and shoo him off on his way. His steps were spry and nimble, easily hiding the stress that lurked beneath. The King was free to show his stress. He, on the other hand... Well, he couldn't allow the King to worry about him.

His job was to protect his highness. That was all.

Coming to the King's door, he knocked. But he didn't wait for the King's answer before striving in with his charge. "Your Highness, I've brought tea." He settled the tray on the side of the desk and busied himself with pouring the tea.

Friedrick didn't even bother to lift his head from the press of his hands, waiting for the soft click of the cup hitting the table that he knew he didn't have the stomach to touch. He was worrying everyone, he knew, with his indecisiveness, his insomnia, his lack of appetite. Yet here was his good faithful Jonah, ever his shadow at even his worst. Ever behind him, guarding his back against the worst of dangers, assassins and ill words alike.

"What am I to do, Jonah?" He whispered weakly. "The meeting is in the morning and yet I still have no answer for the council."

He finally lifted his head, exhaustion and stress dulling silver eyes to a murky grey and leaving the 25 year old looking ancient. "This is not the world I promised to Madeline." He turned to look out into the silent night. In spite of his turmoil, the skies were clear and the stars bright. "I'm failing her, failing my parents, the kingdom-" He cut himself off with a sigh, running a hand sharply through already mussed white locks, tangling the long strands further. They had long broken free of their tie.

"What am I to do?" He asked again, more to the universe than to the other man in the room. "War at our borders, the Holy Lands ransacked, and not a flicker of peace in the wind. The council threatening to depose me, threatening that we must go to war despite having no ability to feed an army. They want to send them out like some sort of bandits, raping the lands of our neighbors and burning the world to the ground. Yet there is no other option, no other way!" His fist clenched, raising as if to strike the arm of his chair. Then he hesitated, his fist relaxed and fingers returned to pressing against his throbbing temple.

"No other way." He said again, unable to cloak the dispair in his voice.

It was dreadfully silent. The only thing he could do was hum into the void, as if to chase the worst of the silence away. It was all for vain, he knew. Just as Frederick was struggling to come up with an answer, he also didn't have one. As he poured the tea that he knew Frederick wouldn't drink, he peeked at the King from the corner of his eyes. They were of about equal age, but he couldn't imagine sharing the exact same responsibility. He'd probably have long perished.

He paused as the King finally spoke, and straightened his posture. His arms clasped behind his back. As tempting as he was to answer back, he knew that the King wasn't actually looking for an answer. He was just desperate. Frederick knew he also didn't have an answer. Hell, he hardly understood politics.

The King lifted his head and he had to repress the urge to grimace, for the look of utter despair seeping into his expression. He looked old beyond his years, a fact that burned his blood. These should have been years of peace and yet the other Kingdoms felt that their petty squabbles were more important! If he could kill them with no repercussions, then he long would have... But Frederick needed him at his side far more. He would freely give his life for the man. That was something that he'd decided as a small child.

However, there was one thing he couldn't help correcting his King on. A flash of a stubborn streak flashed through his face as he raised his chin. "You're not failing anyone. These other nitwits are." Yet, he doubted that Frederick would listen. He just needed to rant to someone. The next time he asked what he should do, Jonah didn't speak up. His stare was pinned to the surface of the desk. At times like these, he wished he could take Frederick far, far away. Somewhere where they wouldn't have to worry about affairs of the kingdom. His chest ached and he repressed the urge to raise a hand to his heart.

But his desires were too selfish and Frederick wouldn't be happy with that.

"Why must there always be fighting? Why the constant suffering...." He sighed again, tiredly rubbing his eyes. His sorry sleep the past few days was finally getting to him. "In the stories there was always a hero to come swooping in, defeating the bad guys and saving the word. Returning peace to the lands. If we had a hero-" He stopped. Blinked. Sat up sharply as he suddenly had a thought.

"Not a hero. Not a hero, a villain." He turned to Jonah. "What is a hero without a villain. If there was someone to draw all the attention, stop the wars, stop the fighting. Someone to bear the evil of the world."

He let out a disbelieving laugh. "That's it. That's the answer! We need a villain of the story!" He stood up suddenly, moving to Jonah and gripping his shoulders. "A villain for a hero to rise against. That's what this world needs right now. Gods, it was under our noses the whole time!" He laughed again, patting Jonah's shoulders.

"A villain to bring forth a hero, make the other fools of the continent stop fighting each other and focus elsewhere. Someone to force them to set aside differences and work together. It's brilliant!" He turned, looking out the window again. "Maybe there is a chance, Jonah. There just might be a chance...."

Even now, there wasn't anything he could do to lighten the load for him. All he could do was stand there quietly and let Frederick talk into the void. He was tempted to shoo the tired King off to bed, when the young man suddenly sat bolt up right. His head tilted, gazing sidelong at Frederick. A chill of foreboding slithered down his spine as the King started to babble. It seemed like he was almost mad from lack of sleep.

A frown slipped across his lips, "Yes, but we don't have a villain, do we?" And who would accept the burden-- ...

His shoulders stiffened. As Frederick gripped him, he stared blankly back at the man. He couldn't be thinking... It was as the King turned away from him that he found the energy to speak. "Your Highness, I must disagree!" It was a rare moment of impulsivity from him, but he couldn't bear to see the King destroy himself, all in the name of changing their world. It took some effort for him to soften his voice. "You're just exhausted. Please, sleep on it. And if you still decide on this course of action..." He took in a deep breath.

"Then I'll continue to stand by your side."

Ah, Jonah. Dear wnderful faithful Jonah. Freidrick laughed softly. "No, Jonah. No time for sleep. If this is to work...yes, if this is to work we must begin at once!" He rubbed his chin. "Scare the council, make them....make them think I'm going mad. And Madeline-" He stopped. Wearily he dropped back into his chair. "Madeline. What am I to do with Madeline. I'll have to drive her off. Make her believe as much as the rest of them."

He shut his eyes. "God's, it might kill her." He whispered. "She's so young, could she even handle it? We'll have to convince her I'm going mad too. She'll be the driving force behind the action of the others but....it'll have to be big. It'll have to be something that she knows I would never do-" He sighed. "We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. For now, the council." He turned back to Jonah and his eyes softened. "You're tired. You've been up with me this whole time, haven't you? Go, get some rest Jonah. Gods know at least one of us should sleep tonight."

He turned back to the window. "It'll be long nights like this one for a while, I'm afraid. I won't be far behind, I promise you. Sleep well."

Frederick continued to babble about mad things, and he continued to watch with a growing sense of dread. This wasn't the Frederick he knew. Or perhaps it was, but he knew that normally the King wouldn't think of doing such a terrible thing! He wasn't normally scared, but he was terrified for Frederick in this moment. He tried to imagine it -- A gentle king masquerading as evil and tyrannical. He would have to make others think that he truly was to keep up the act. Abusing his servants, talking down to them, and steadily getting worse until...

No, he couldn't imagine such a thing from His Highness.

Would he even be able to drive his sister away? He focuses back in on the King as his eyes alight on him. What a joke. How could he even begin to sleep knowing what Frederick planned? Even as the King dismissed him, he stayed still for a while more, a whirlwind of emotions brewing within him. He shakily tugged his glasses off the bridge of his nose, cleaning them on the hem of his shirt. They didn't need to be cleaned of course, but he needed something for his hands to do. Something that would give him the time to come up with a way to put his emotions into words. In the end, he couldn't think of anything.

He turned and strode with heavy footsteps to the door. It was as he was putting a hand on the door knob that he finally decided to try again. "Your highness, I ask that you think this over." Slipping the pair of gold-wired glasses back onto the bridge of his nose, he chanced a glance back. "If you set foot on this path, you'll never be able to go back."

And then he was gone.

Friedrick smiled slightly to himself at Jonah's words before he departed. Ever the level headed one was dear Jonah. He didn't know what he would do without him. Despite his promise Friedrick stayed up all night, not even realizing he hadn't slept until the sun started to rise on his kingdom. He had spent the whole time lost in his own head, working out the best way to twist his image into the Mad King he needed to be. Exhaustion would help with that, he supposed.

The tea was long cold but he took a small sip of it anyways, easing the dryness of his throat. Appearing mussed up to the meeting would help, he supposed. A show of his powers if the council tried to push back would go a long way too. He would reject going to war. He wouldn't send his people to die. No. No if he was to do this, he would do it alone. It would have to rest solely on his shoulders.

Jonah could follow him, but at the end of the day, it was Friedrick that must bear that thorny crown.

And Madeline. Dear sweet, wonderful, innocent Madeline. He knew that she would suffer from this. Knew that losing not only her parents but now her brother too....it might just kill her. He knew that she had the backbone of their family somewhere hidden, though. Knew that if pressed she wouldn't be afraid to show it. He laughed softly to himself. She would be a great Queen when the time came.

Last edited:
By the time day came, he'd gotten very little sleep. He knew that no matter how much he pleaded with the king, once he decided something, his mind was set. For a majority of the night he tried to think of a variety of ways to convince his stubborn highness to step down. That stubborn determination was one quality he'd always admired. You kind of had to be stubborn in order to be royalty. But in times like this, that stubbornness could prove to be one's wrongdoing.

He tossed and turned, thinking over and beyond what to do. The King wasn't going to change his mind, he knew that with utter certainty. Then what else was there to do? He would stand by his King's side through it all, no matter what. Through hardship, through times of peace, through war...

As he was turning over the next step, an idea came to him. He put a hand to his mouth, alarmed at the king of thought that had come to him. More than everyone else believing it, Frederick's sister would have to as well. She'd have to believe that he'd gone mad beyond a shadow of a doubt. This idea would definitely do it.

But to think that he was considering this. He clenched a hand into a fist and resolved himself to the task at hand.

Extremely early the next morning, he once more sought Frederick out. Slipping into his rooms like a shadow, he regarded the figure at his desk. He stood by respectfully, hands clasped behind his back. Once more, that sliver of dread began to eat away at him, but he faced the man head on. "Am I right to assume that you haven't changed your mind?"

"There's nothing to change, Jonah." He replied softly. "This is the path I must walk if I am to give her the world she deserves.....even if it means that I will not be in it with her." He ran his thumb across his knuckles. "Jonah, I can not ask you to walk this road with me. Not this time." He looked at him, eyes tired but set. "It pains me to say, but I know that this will not be something I'm likely to survive. I can't ask you to go down with me."

"I-" He drew in a sharp breath. "Like you said last night, there will be no going back in this. It will be best if I do it alone." He looked back down at his hands. "All I ask is you don't mention this to anyone, Jonah. If you do it will all be for naught." He looked out at the window, unable to bring himself to look at Jonah again. He knew what kind of expression he would find there.

He would have to harden his heart if he was really to do this. He had to prepare himself to bear this burden alone.

Really, Frederick was just a bit too easy to read. He'd always been easy to read. As he stood at attention, listening to his highness continue to speak, he stood by patiently. The moment Frederick had mentioned this insane plan, he'd known the outcome. And so, he'd also known that there was no convincing him of anything less. He hardened his heart against the pain starting beneath his breast and took a few steps towards him... However, instead of going right to his side, he dropped to one knee.

"Your highness, allow me to be selfish for a moment." He bowed his head, studying the carpeting beneath their feet, resting one arm on his upturned knee. "Just as there's only one path for you, there's also only one path for me. And that is by your side. I will endeavor to walk at your side through heaven and hell, through fire and flood. My life is yours to use, just as it's always been."

He didn't get up after he finished speaking, just waited for Frederick's verdict.

He barked a laugh and almost broke right there despite himself. He took a moment to try and collect himself, fighting the tears pricking his eyes. "What did I ever do to deserve you, Jonah?" He whispered wetly. "Then let us walk this path together, my friend." He finally looked at him, eyes glassy with unshed tears.

"Stand, Jonah, stand. You are not one who ever needs to kneel before me. Not now, not ever." He sniffled and then laughed a little at himself. "Look at me, falling to bits and I haven't even started." He stood and walked over to Jonah, placing his hand on the other man's shoulders. "This will be the last thing I will ever ask of you, Jonah. Hold me together until you can't anymore. That is the burden I place on you to carry. I shall bear the rest."

He didn't answer the man's first words. After all, wasn't it the other way around? Frederick was the one that had done his best to keep him hidden as a child. When he'd once upon a time snuck onto castle grounds in order to steal food from the gardens. Back then, it hadn't even been a thought in the young prince's mind to turn him away or tattle on him. Perhaps he'd just wanted a play mate his own age, but the decision to hide him had changed his life, forever. And even when he'd been found out, he resolved to be Frederick's pillar.

It was only after he was allowed to stand that he stood. 'Hold me together until you can't anymore' huh? It was the same thing he'd always done, he could do that. Except... It was worse this time, wasn't it? This burden was unlike anything they would have to deal with. He let out a shuddering breath, his lashes fluttering as he withdrew his gaze.

"I will do whatever is requested of me." He steeled himself to say what needed to be said next, to speak the thing that he knew would mean they truly couldn't go back anymore. "I..." He licked his lips, expression grave as he focused back on the other's face. "I know how we can prove to everyone beyond a shadow of a doubt that you've 'gone mad'."

Friedrick hesitated only a moment before he steeled his spine. There was no backing down now. He didn't like the look he saw in Jonah's eyes, but they promised to walk the road together. They would be the villains the world so terribly needed. "Tell me, Jonah. I'm listening."

After he heard what Jonah had to say....he almost backed down. Almost. He sat, head in hands, wondering how they had ever gotten to this point. "Jonah, I-" He drew in a shuddering breath. "I don't like it, I don't-" His voice broke. "I would never- you know I would never-" The gods were surely laughing at them. What Jonah was asking of him was terrifying. If he slipped up, if he made a mistake, that was it. He was on his own after that, and the aftermath would kill him. He would shatter and there would be no one to pick up the pieces. He would truly go mad.

But wasn't Jonah only asking of Friedrick what Friedrick asked of him? If he was to become the true villain of this story, this would be the only way. Jonah was right. It was the only way to sell his madness, to make Madeline accept that her brother was gone. Gods help them all.

He took a moment to make doubly sure that the man was ready to go down this dark path. Hell, maybe if he was lucky, telling Frederick his idea would dissuade him from this horrible path.

And so, he did. He told the King of this horrible, horrible idea. Behind his back, his hands clenched tightly onto each other, as if the pressure would help to steel himself. It didn't, and he nearly faltered. But he forced himself to continue anyway. "My idea is this: The only way we make your sister think that you've been driven mad beyond a shadow of a doubt, is by you pretending to kill me." Even as Frederick stumbled over his words, he hurried on, his voice growing despite his desire to stay calm. "This is the only way we can get everyone to believe that you're mad. A gentle king suddenly killing his most trusted advisor? They'd wonder what was the matter with him! They'd start to wonder, 'if he's killed one of the most trusted people to him, what's to stop him from going after others. Much less his own sister...?'"

He stopped suddenly, his chest heaving. Perhaps he'd gone too far. Perhaps he shouldn't have said that. It took him some effort to reign in his own emotions, to regard the king with some semblance of calm. After a moment of calm, he spoke and his voice was softer. "Frederick, nothing will separate us, least of all death. And I believe in you. I know you'll keep from killing me."

He hated it. Hated every single word that fell from Jonah's mouth. Suddenly he was that little princeling, hiding a starving boy and befriending him, terrified that his father would take his only friend away. Now it was not his father he was scared of but himself.

He scoffed softly at Jonah's last words. Ever the believer, even when Friedrick stumbled. Slowly he looked up at his friend, eyes calm despite the storm inside. "Very well." He whispered. "If this is the only way, then-" He drew in a sharp breath. "For her sake. For the Kingdom's sake. I shall tear this castle to pieces and send them scattering like mice. Let us damn ourselves together, my friend."

Perhaps it was naïve of him, but he firmly believed that if there existed an after life, he would turn it away if it meant continuing to protect Frederick. His place was at the King's side, after all. And if Frederick ever ceased to be, then he'd damn this whole world to ashes.

Unlike usual when he was at his King's side, he allowed himself a moment to meet the King's gaze head on. Then he took one of the King's hands and held it to his heart, a spark lighting in his eyes. "I'll be on your side even if you were to tear this whole world to shreds. No matter what side you're on, by you is where I'm destined to be, come what may."

"To the gates of hell indeed then, my friend." He smiled and lifted Jonah's hand, pressing it against his own heart. "Let our hearts beat in time. From this moment on, we are the evil of this world. Let us go forth and bare our fangs." He let Jonah's hand go, wishing for just a moment that they could linger there longer. "Come now. We have a council to scare. Let them write our names in the history books." He clapped Jonah on the shoulder before turning to the window, using the reflection to tangle and twist his hair more for a more startling effect.

Once satisfied he nodded at Jonah. "I promise you, I won't miss my mark." He stretched a little feeling his magic answer his call and swirl about his fingertips. "Let's make it grand, shall we?"

It was an odd thing indeed, considering that he was meant to be putting himself out there. He would be the opening act to their little masquerade. He was Frederick’s advisor, so he usually kept in the shadows. But that wouldn’t do this time. Now, he was helping the King with the biggest performance yet. This wasn’t like when they were young and he’d goad the prince into stealing a snack from the kitchens. No, this was the real thing.

He walked some of the way with the King, and then agreed to break off. After all, if wouldn’t be good for the other servants to see see them walking together and then later wonder at the nature of it. No, that just wouldn’t do. He stopped near the meeting chamber and carefully looked around. He, himself, had been careful to not be seen. His magic was best for that sort of thing. It allowed him to remain unseen, like an afterthought. Not many people paid attention to their own shadows, after all.

Once he was certain that there was no one around, he broke into a run. Pushing through the chamber’s doors he gasped for breath. “His Highness! He’s—“ Before he could get a single more word out, something happened.

Friedrick waited for Jonah to start their little act. He waited just beyond the sight of the doors until he heard Jonah burst through them, gasping his words. Then he was moving too. The stage was set, time to perform.

When Jonah burst through the doors the council had all jumped to their feet. The first initial thought was that something had happened to their precious gentle King. And it had, but not what they were expecting. A spear of ice sprouted through Jonah's chest, colored red from his blood coating it. It was dead silent. Then the yelling started.

Friedrick strode coldly through the doors, ice magic swirling and making the temperature plummet around him. In the eyes of the council, he was no longer their King but a man driven mad by the world around him. They scattered like birds and Friedrick chased them, ice crackling around him with every breath as he drove servant and noble alike from the castle walls.

They went screaming into the streets of the city and the Mad King came after, driving the residents there like cattle from its walls.

Madeline had been grabbed by the wrist by one of the council members and thrown onto a horse. They rode and hell came after. She didn't want to believe it, but she saw the state of her brother and her heart shattered. The man they fled from was no longer her brother, had ceased to be as soon as he had killed his trusted advisor and friend.

When all was said and done, Friedrick returned to Jonah's side. Fingers that shook from cold or something else brushed his cheeks. He whispered broken apologies as he dispelled the ice and quelled the bleeding. It had been a neat little trick he had done. The ice that had pierced Jonah was thin and had missed anything important. The thick spear of ice that had 'gone through him' hadn't actually, but had been a trick, a thick coating on the outside of Jonah's body. Had it been anyone else, Jonah would have been killed.

And Friedrick wept. He wept for the Kingdom that he would bring down with his own hands.

The moment he had burst through the doors, it was a signal to Frederick. The spear of ice pierced his chest and his eyes went wide. Time seemed to freeze as the nobles and advisors stared at the spear of ice with blanched faces. Slowly, Jonah collapsed, hitting his side in a heap. Everything was a blur after that. Noble and servant alike fled, eager to be away from the Mad King.

It was some time when Frederick returned to his side. It took some grand effort to tilt his face against the King's fingers, greater effort still to open his eyes and gaze upon the so-called 'Mad King.' So cold... He strained to understand the other's rambled words. After much struggling, he realized that they were apologies. "Why..." He found himself muttering, desperate even then to alleviate the King's worries. A ghost of a smile formed along his lips as he reached out and patted the King's head. "Told ya, you wouldn't kill me..."

As he painstakingly pushed himself up, he leaned against the King and encircled him in his arms. Just holding him as he wept. He knew, with complete and utter certainty, that this would be the first of many hard choices. But he was determined to stand with him through it all.

Friedrick calmed after a while but found himself unwilling to move from Jonah's warmth. Faintly he remembered his father's warnings about his magic and chuckled weakly. He had never pushed his magic so far before. Faint tremors ran through his body that he could no longer dismiss as being from his crying. And yet this was only the start of it all.

"Forgive me, Jonah." He whispered. "I'll never-" His voice broke and he nearly cried again. "Never. I'll never hurt you again." He clung a little tighter, pressing his face into Jonah's shoulder. His warmth was soothing, chasing away the chill that threatened to settle into his bones. For now, it was enough. For now, he could linger here and pretend that everything was ok. For now, he could let slip his mantel of 'King'.

If Frederick didn't want to move, then he wasn't going to force him. They should be allowed to be selfish for just this once, before their true troubles began. With that in mind, he clutched at the male tighter, suddenly desperate to chase away his cold. There wasn't a single sound to be heard. The silence was, at once, soothing and grating. The silence made him all too aware of what they had just done.

He came back to himself to hear Frederick rambling once again. The words brought out a dry chuckle and he slowly shook his head. "What was that I said before? That my life is yours to use as you please?" A hand raised to run through Frederick's snowy locks. Please, allow me to be selfish for just this once, he pleaded to no one. "Through heaven and hell, fire and flood, even death couldn't separate us. That is my promise to you."

Friedrick let off a soft breath, hiding his face more against Jonah's shoulder. Suddenly he felt so terribly small but safe with Jonah with him. "What have I done to inspire such loyalty?" He whispered, not really looking for an answer. He lingered a moment longer before pulling back, scrubbing at his face. "Thank you, Jonah. Thank you for doing this with me. I don't-" He took a deep breath as the reality of what they had just done came crashing down. "I don't think I could do this without you."

Exhaustion lined his face and the weight of it bent his shoulders. He was grieving what he had given up. He greived for his Kingdom, his sister, who surely was scared, and confused and grieving too. He could only hope the price was worth the prize. He could only hope that by casting aside everything that things would become better for everyone else.

A King's burden...he though he had understood it in the nearly 10 years he had reigned. Now he knew that he hadn't understood it at all. Guilt gnawed at him. He was abandoning his people, his sister. If Jonah weren't at his side, it would probably eat him alive.

"I'm tired, Jonah." He finally whispered. "I'm so tired."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back