• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings The Loop | 80s High School Sci-fi | Open

elytra

a beetle may or may not be inferior to a man
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)

WELCOME TO THE LOOP
─ "Your home is filled with strange and fantastic things..." ─

• CAUTION: DO NOT

TRUST

ANYONE

code by deer of 9 colours.

"...When fusion, particle accelerators and the magnetrine effect were discovered in the 1950s, it broke the boundaries between the possible and the impossible. Huge transport vessels fly, cyborgs and robots can think, scientists create time portals and objects that replace people’s identities. Strange beasts roam the landscape, and humanity can contact people and creatures from other times and places." - Tales from the Loop

You are a teen in Boulder, Colorado, in the waning part of the summer of 1983.

For the most part, your life is like everyone else. You spend your free time doing what teens tend to do, which is essentially whatever you can get your hands on. You have your own problems, whether with yourself, your family, or others, and of course you have dreams and fears and hopes just like anyone else. Like teens in other parts of the country, you also attend the local high school, which comes with its own troubles. Those parts of your life are nothing special.

However, you are not everyone else, as your town sits atop what has been dubbed the Loop.

The Loop, simplistically explained, is the second largest particle accelerator in the world. Built in the 50s, it was done in collaboration with a group in Sweden, and has since opened up entire new realms of science to those willing explore them. Run by the DART- standing for what is assumed to be Department of Advanced Research and Technology -those who work in the Loop push the boundaries of what was considered possible and impossible. This has effected your town in a way that other towns haven't been effected; while the rest of the world has benefited from the work done in both the US Loop and Swedish Loop by getting amazing technology like flying vessels, advanced AI, and more, the residents of Boulder have been subjected to strange happenings.

The adults seem to ignore it. Last summer, the Hendersons entire house disappeared, leaving no trace behind, including the Hendersons themselves. Despite being on the local news, the story went dark after about 2 days, and then things went back to 'normal'. The town seems to understand that some things are best not looked into, especially if you don't want to draw the attention of whoever caused the anomaly in the first place. After all, the DART- if responsible -is a government organization; they are more than capable of sweeping things under the metaphorical rug.

You, however, are not an adult. You're young, maybe looking for trouble or wanting to sate your curiosity. Maybe you get dragged into it, or maybe something ends up happening to you personally. Whatever the reason, you get involved, even if the adults refuse to and even if you don't want to. Between school and the drama of growing up, you now juggle figuring out what exactly is happening to your town and the people in it.

Welcome to the Loop, where stones are best left unturned.

─CHARACTER ROLES
COMPUTER GEEK.
The Computer Geek is interested in new technology and computers. Maybe they hack, maybe they game, maybe they tinker with whatever they can get their hands on, but they are 100% a nerd. [ status: OPEN ]

JOCK.
The Jock plays some sort of sport, whether its basketball, football, soccer or something else. They're likely popular, though whether this is from being a cool person or bullying is up for discussion. [ status: OPEN ]

MOTORHEAD.
The Motorhead has a need for speed! They probably know their way around a car and other vehicles, as well as participate in races...even if they aren't all that legal. [ status: OPEN ]

PARTY ANIMAL.
The Party Animal is always looking for a good time. Sociable and wild, they probably know the best hangout party spots around town. [ status: OPEN ]

SEEKER.
The Seeker has an interest in the supernatural. Ghosts, cryptids, anything along the lines of that is on their radar. [ status: reserved by @Galactic ]

SNOB.
The Snob is a popular student who doesn't like to hang around the scum. Prince/Princess/NB Ruler of the school, they have standards and you likely don't meet them. [ status: OPEN ]

TROUBLE MAKER.
The Trouble Maker is a rebel. Maybe they want to go against 'the man' or maybe they just want to cause a ruckus. Doesn't really matter; they're at the center of most schemes. [ status: OPEN ]

BOOKWORM.
The Bookworm has their head in literature whenever possible. Maybe its fiction, maybe they're reading about science, doesn't truly matter. They're another nerd, just not the tech kind. [ status: OPEN ]

WEIRDO.
The Weirdo isn't necessarily a bad person. Just something about them sets them away from the rest of the teens, and they're an outcast even if they don't want to be. [ status: reserved by elytra elytra ]

EXPLANATION
This roleplay is based heavily off of Tales from the Loop/Things from the Flood, two TTRPGS based in an alternate 80s/90s. The roleplay will revolve around the teens of the town, not only as they are faced with different weird happenings, but also just in their daily lives. It will follow them as they have normal problems, interact with their peers and try to get through high school with the added burden of trying to figure out whats causing all the anomalies in their town.

Characters will be ages 16-18, and either juniors or seniors in high school. Plotting with other players on previous relationships (of any type) between characters is encouraged, since the setting means that characters likely either know each other or know of each other. A character thread and lore thread will be posted when/if interest is show, but the character sheet template is shown below. Comment on this thread if interested! Please note the other tabs in this section have nothing within them.

Name:
Gender/Pronouns:
Sexuality:
Grade: (preferably 11th-12th/junior-senior)
FC/Description:
Body Mods/Scars:
Clothing Style:
Personality: (at least 3 positives and 3 negatives)
Hobbies:
Habits:
Problem: (is someone in their family sick? did their father die?)
Drive: (what motivates them?)
Public Image: (what are they known for, if anything?)
Background:
Important Friends/Family:
Inter-character Relationships: (character|who they're played by|nature of relationship like enemies, friends, etc etc)

─RULES
01. This roleplay is for those who can write around 2 paragraphs; we're not aiming for novella, but a little detail is appreciated! Quality is appreciated over quantity, though.
02. There is no posting order, but players are expected to post at least once a week, preferably more. If you can't, please just let me know; life happens and I'll always be understanding about it. This rule is just to keep the group running smoothly and avoid stalling due to ghosting.
03. Be polite OOC and engage with other players; I want this to be a fun experience in and out of character! While characters can be rude to each other, players shouldn't be.
04. This RP is not first come first serve; I may accept characters right away or deny them (which if I do, you can feel free to ask for me to tell you whats wrong with the sheet so you can fix it). The reason that some roles are reserved is that those are people I've roleplayed with before and we've already discussed what they were thinking for characters!
06. Real life FCs and descriptions are accepted; please do not use anime or drawings.
07. Have fun, above all, because that's why we're here

I've enjoyed Stranger Things and that was the first thing I saw when I ready the plot idea. Sounds interesting. My eyes keep looking at the role of the Jock. I'm not one in real life, but that's the awesome power of the role play.

I would be interested in the Party Animal if the role is still available. :)
Of course! I don't think anyone has shown interest in that role yet! I'll let you know when the character sheets and lore are up.

I was mulling about it overnight and I have decided to withdraw my interest. It seems like it is going to be more complex of a storyline than I would be comfortable with. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back