• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Life We Left Behind (Batmang & AvianJen)

"C'mon, it'll be fun!" insisted Nick, one of Ethan's friends from way back. Ethan definitely didn't feel comfortable to the idea, but his friends definitely seemed insistent for whatever reason. For him, having a prostitute in his hotel room after just landing a career defining job didn't seem like an ideal situation. However, he didn't really have the energy or motivation to dispute it, simply because he hadn't seen these people in like 4 years. A lot had changed since then, the town had changed, his friends had changed, and even he had changed.

When Nick noticed Ethan had given up, a big smirk smeared across his face as he began to dial up the number. Ethan raised an eyebrow. "You know the number by heart?" He asked as he poured himself some water, while his friends were washing down numerous kinds of alcohol. Ethan was once heavily addicted to alcohol, but that was just one of his many bad habits that he tried his best to change as he adjusted to his college life in the big city. Ethan could name several reasons for that, but in the end they were just excuses. No one was to blame but himself.

"Hey, don't judge." Nick replied as he helped himself to some more bourbon. "A guy gets lonely, the mind wanders. Sometimes, you just need to let loose." He continued, to which Ethan just rolled his eyes. It never really was his thing and he didn't really understand why some people were okay with it. The whole idea made him uncomfortable, and the more he thought about, the more he wanted to just get up and leave, but then he'd just be killing the mood.

The guys killed time by catching up with each other's daily lives, throwing witty insults at each other as most friends do, and overall were just having a good time. Ethan missed this. These were people he walked away from, but there was always this part of him that always wanted to go back to the way things were. Ultimately, he contemplated never returning to this town after how he left, but it wasn't easy and no matter how much he hated this town, in the end it was his home. And these were his friends.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door and Nick jumped up to answer. "She's here!" He declared in excitement as he reached for the knob and opened the door. "Hey glad you could make it. We'll take the premium package tonight." He announced as he let the woman in. All eyes were on her and as Ethan took a sip of water, before glancing at the girl who had just entered, he choked. His eye lit up in shock as he continued to cough. It was Camilla Anderson. His ex girlfriend and childhood friend who he'd known almost all his life. The last person he wanted to run into.​

It was late when Sam told Camilla she was working tonight, at one of the fancy hotels in the city. Camilla had been there several times; she was usually the one Sam sent to the more high class locations. Camilla had no idea how many men she'd slept with in the past four years; she'd long since stopped keeping track. Every night she worked was just that, another night's work. As long as she kept bringing in money, Sam kept paying her rent and cutting her just enough to buy food and clothes. It wasn't what she wanted, and Camilla kept telling herself that as soon as she'd saved enough she'd get out of this goddamn city, get herself a real life and a little house in the country.

But deep down, she knew that she'd never do that. She wasn't capable of it. And after buying her groceries for the week she had hardly anything to set aside. Sam had roped her into this business at 19, and he’d made sure that she’d suffer to get out.

But tonight, Camilla was exhausted. She'd been working every night for a week, and had thought that she might just get tonight off. "Sam," she said plaintively over the phone, "isn't there anyone else? I don't know that...I don't know that I can do a good job tonight. I'm not feeling well."

"Oh shut up," came Sam's rough response. He could read her like a book by now. "They'll love you, the rich ones always do. That’s why I’m calling you and not Rachel.” Camilla swallowed.

"They?" she repeated.

"Yeah, yeah. So you make sure all of them pay, alright? Now get yourself dolled up, I'll text you the address and the room number." Camilla was silent for a long moment. She didn't want to go tonight. Not to a group, and not to that fancy hotel. She’d been there so many times. But what choice did she have?

Resigned to her fate, Camilla slipped into her most expensive dress, the one reserved for these kind of customers. It was a designer label, black and especially snug. Stilettos, dark red lipstick and small diamond earrings finished off the look. Nobody knew what she was doing; when she stepped into that hotel, they would all assume she was just another young socialite getting back from some sort of glamorous party. They never saw the truth, never knew that the only reason she owners this dress was because Sam had bought it for her with the money she’d earned for him.

That being said, the wealthy men usually weren’t so bad. They weren’t the worst kind- some had even tried to get to know her before doing the need. She didn’t want to work tonight, but she would be fine.

That was what she kept telling herself as she approached the room number. Taking a deep breath, she raised her hand and knocked on the door. When it was opened, for just a second her mind was put at ease. Nick was one of Sam’s regulars, and Camilla had been with him a couple times before. He was always kind to her, and it was a relief to see him. She didn’t show it in case he didn’t want his friends to know that they’d been together before, but she smiled anyways. “Of course,” she said pleasantly, shedding her coat to reveal the black dress. “So what can I do for you gentlemen?” The “premium package” was two hours to do with her whatever they desired, but it was Nick. She didn’t mind that nearly so much as an overweight, middle-aged politician.

She was beginning to really believe tonight might be okay, until she noticed who else he was with. Most of the men she didn’t recognize, but there was one she did. Camilla’s heart dropped to her stomach. No, it couldn’t be. Ethan? She had to fight every urge in her body not to bolt from the room and drown in her shame. Again, she didn’t say anything. He obviously recognized her. She had been called to wait on her ex boyfriend, a man she’d loved once. Camilla didn’t believe in love anymore, but she had never felt more humiliated in her life and felt like she was about to pass out. He couldn’t see her like this, couldn’t know what she had become- but of course, he already had.

Ethan was at a lost for words and wasn't sure what to say or do. This whole situation had just taken him by surprise and he didn't expect to see the woman he loves walk through that door and start assuming the worst things about himself. Nick and Ethan had went way back, but he never knew that he and Camilla had history. It's a small town, so there were lots of rumors going around about the two back when they were a couple, hell, the rumors were going around even before all that, but neither confirmed or denied them. Their fling was something they always kept to themselves.

"So, that's the lucky guy tonight." Nick pointed towards Ethan before he began pulling money out of his wallet. "Everyone, place the money on the table. Except for Ethan. This is on us, man." The gang began pulling out cash from their wallets and placed them on the coffee table. It was quite a bit of money, probably enough to get by for an entire month. Ethan didn't make eye contact with Camilla throughout the entire ordeal. He was just as embarrassed as she was. He wasn't exactly sure how to feel and was having trouble processing this. Camilla is a prostitute? The whole thought spiraled through his brain repeatedly, it was relentless. He just didn't understand. Another thing that bothered him a lot more than it should've, considering they broke up years ago, was how she and Nick were talking to each other. Camilla and Nick? My ex-girlfriend with my best friend?

Finally, Ethan stood up. "Guys, you mind taking a walk?" he requested, to which his friends groaned in disappointment. "C'mon, help a brother out." He continued to which his friends finally nodded before getting up and leaving the room. "I guess we could catch the game at the pub." Nick responded, before making his way for the exit, finally turning and whispers out loud, "text me everything!" before he walks out, but not before giving Camilla a wink. Which Ethan definitely spotted.

As the room was finally clear, it was just the two of them. The entire room was filled with silence. Ethan rubs his face with his palm, somewhat exhausted and having difficulty processing the entire thing. "You even know what the penalty for prostituting in the state of New York is?" He asked, as he angrily picks up the bottles of alcohol sitting on the coffee table and tosses them into the trash. "$1,000 fine and up to a year in prison. That sound pleasant to you?" He asked angrily before reaching for her coat and tossing it her. "Cover yourself up." He said firmly, looking in her eyes. He was obviously angry about several things. "And you and Nick?!" He continued, his voice rising higher in tone even more. "How long has this been going on?!" Ethan felt like he was about to explode. He knew he had no right to question her, especially given the fact that he was the one who walked out on their relationship. But he wanted answers, in fact, he wanted lots of answers.

Camilla tried her best to keep her expression stoic as Nick pointed to Ethan, but anyone who looked close enough could tell that she was panicked. Her eyes were wide, her lips slightly parted in shock. She was probably bright red, too, which she hoped that they attributed to the cold and not to embarrassment. Women in her line of work didn't get embarrassed. She wasn't the little shy nineteen-year-old Sam had manipulated four years ago anymore. Nothing fazed her...except, of course, Ethan.

Suddenly, she felt a surge of anger. He'd left her, and as far as Camilla was concerned it was partially his fault that she was in this situation. He'd left a lovesick, heartbroken teenage girl behind, the perfect opening for Sam to swoop in. And at first, Sam had given her everything. Affection, time, promises...by the time those promises started coming with conditions it was too late. But it had started with Ethan, and now she was a prisoner. Camilla never would have pegged Ethan as someone who would call a girl like her into his room, either, but apparently she was wrong. It would be poetic if it didn't have her feeling like doomsday was literally on the horizon.

"Is that so?" she asked, her voice soft and innocent sounding as she locked eyes with Ethan. She had half a mind to tell them that their money would be better spent elsewhere, because she doubted that Ethan was going to get anymore pleasure out of this encounter than she was, but oh god, it was so much money. For just a moment, Camilla didn't even care about Ethan. Sam would be over the moon if she brought back that much money tonight. She didn't get to keep it for herself, of course, but he might be generous and give her a bigger cut that she could add to her savings. Soon she'd have enough to drive out to the midwest, find a little apartment in a little town where nobody would know or care what she did before. That money would be a huge step forward.

Ethan's all-too-familiar voice cut through her fantasies, however, and brought her back to the horrible reality she was currently standing in. Camilla offered the other men a well-practiced smile as they headed out, but she really wished they would stay...she didn't want to be alone with Ethan. But the door closed, leaving the two alone in the bedroom. It was then that Ethan showed his true colors.

Camilla didn't move when he began to yell, didn't say anything. Yes, she knew what the fine was, and she knew that Sam wouldn't pay it if she got caught. Being put in prison for prostituting was an escape, at least. And once that year was up they would surely help her find a way to put her life back together...sometimes the thought of getting caught was rather attractive, but it was also frightening and uncertain. So she stayed discreet. She flinched when he tossed her coat at her, clumsily catching it and gritting her teeth. She and Ethan had gone back and forth quite a bit when they dated, and she was familiar with the way he argued. He should be familiar with her, too.

"I'm sorry, does my dress offend you?" she sneered. It wasn't as if she'd stripped down to her underwear. "Nicholas is a client," she said coldly, staring him down. "I don't choose my clients. Obviously." She gestured towards him as if it was the perfect example. Which it was. Nick probably didn't even know her name. "How long has what been going on? This?" She gestured to herself this time. "Try six months after you left. And Nick, he's been lonely and desperate for about a year, what can I say? He pays well." Camilla slid her coat over her shoulders and flipped back her long, ashy brown hair. She folded her arms across her chest and approached him slowly, having noticed the excess of alcohol that seemed to be in the room.

“Now, how about I take that,” she suggested, glancing at the money littered across the coffee table, “you can tell them you completely ravished me, whatever makes you feel like more of a man, and we pretend this never happened. Deal?” Camilla’s eyebrows rose expectantly.

When she asked if her dress offended her, he didn't answer. He was obviously being ridiculous, but he just wasn't used to seeing her... well, like this. It was sort of a knee jerk reaction. The whole situation had him rattled, and he definitely didn't like how she was willingly ready to get with any one of his friends, especially given their history. But maybe that was just the jealousy in him talking. Ethan had always been conflicted about his decision when he left. He did love Camilla. He still did. But there was always this part of him that wasn't happy. He hated this town as a kid, he hated it growing up, and wanted nothing to do with it. He always felt like he was being held back. Of course, it didn't justify what he did, not even in the slightest. He knew he was way out of line, for judging Camilla, when he isn't exactly any better.

When she was blunt about her relationship with Nick, it didn't make his feelings any better. He was still pissed off. And honestly, he's never hit a woman before, but if he did, now would be that time. He took a deep breath as she took a shot at him, informing him that she didn't choose her clients. He wanted to argue back, but honestly, it was already a long day and he didn't know anything about what she did. Maybe prostitution is a lot more complicated than it looks from the outside looking in.

When she finally answered the real question, that it was six months after he had left, there was a wave of guilt that sunk his heart. But he obviously, didn't show it. He was a politician. He was good at keeping things to himself. He knew that whatever he would say, wouldn't exactly make the situation any better, and regardless of whether or not this was his fault, he still couldn't help but be angry. He just silently watched her as she put on her coat. If he was being honest, he really liked what she was wearing, it looked good on her.

As she walked up to him, he didn't know what to expect, his heart was racing. When she suggested she take the money, Ethan just shrugged. "Well, it's not mine." He said bluntly, before reaching down and neatly began to stack the money, before he handed it over to her. Besides, not giving her the money would cause his friends to start asking questions, and it looked like she really needed it. Plus, after walking out on her, he felt it was at least fair. "Let's get a couple things out of the way. I didn't tell you to start hooking on the streets. That's on you. You're the smartest person I knew in school, you could've been anything you wanted, but instead you chose to stay in this shit hole of a town." He said rather coldly, as he grabbed her by the hand tightly. "And don't give me some bullshit excuse like you were lonely, so you decided to just have sex with the first guy you saw. I was lonely too, but I didn't have to resort to that kind of crap." He emphasized.

Camilla took the money from him, folding it together and stuffing it in the pocket of her coat. She would have taken it even if he didn't approve; after having to see him again in this context, she felt like she deserved it. "Perfect," she said. "Do yourself a favor and mess up the sheets before your friends come back." She turned on her and started to walk away, but then...then, he really did it. Camilla stopped in front of the door, her hands curling into fists. She gritted her teeth angrily, spinning around to face him again.

"And does it look like I'm...what was it, hooking on the streets?" Camilla's volume increased and she flung her arms out to the side, gesturing to their surroundings. The lavish hotel, her designer dress. She hadn't been on the streets in years. "If this is the streets to you, I'd love to see a real hotel. I stayed here because I didn't know where else to go. I couldn't afford school, working retail wasn't paying enough. What, you think I wanted this?" She was yelling at him now, hot, angry tears forming in her eyes. She smacked his hand away furiously, though his touch felt like it was breaking her heart all over again.

"You always were arrogant," she spat, narrowing her eyes at him. "Don't flatter yourself into thinking I got into this because I was lonely and horny without you. I didn't resort to anything. Not because of you." Yes, Ethan leaving had been the first event in her downward spiral, and she would never have ended up here if they hadn't split, but it wasn't that simple. It was the wrong man approaching her at the wrong time, saying all the right things. It was her dad leaving and the death of her mom way back when she was thirteen, hopping through foster systems until she turned eighteen and suddenly had nothing. It was being taken advantage of, slowly but surely being brainwashed by Sam into thinking that if she did what he said, she'd be safe and loved and provided for. Yes, some of it was Camilla's fault. She had made some bad choices along the way. But it sure as hell wasn't because she was lonely and couldn't find male company without resorting to selling herself. "You don't know anything," she told him sharply. "Stop making assumptions."

Honestly, Ethan's heart skipped a beat when Camilla finally snapped. Her voice, her gestures, her face, it was one side he hated being on the receiving end of, even back when they were dating. Ethan heard her out, as she explained herself, watching as her eyes became teary red. He flinched as she smacked his hand away, he took a step or two back, just to be on the safe side. This was probably the first time he's ever made her this angry. He was half expecting someone to come check up on them.

"Then explain to me how any of this is my fault." He clarified as she made it very clear that his assumption about her were completely wrong. There was just a huge surge of anger and confusion. He had so many questions, but he had a feeling she'd rather just keep it to herself. After all, she didn't owe him an explanation, not after what he did. "Four years ago, you made it perfectly clear that we both wanted something different. You wanna know the truth? I hated this town. There wasn't a single day that went by that I didn't wish I could just get away from this place. But you were just so naive and scared of anything changing." He rambled, as he reached for the bed sheets and began to mess them up.

Once that was done, Ethan just about had enough of this. He came back to the town catch up with his friends and on somewhat of a partial business venture. He didn't want or expect to run into Camilla. Not because he hated her, but because it was the opposite. He was afraid to know about her new life and how it had changed ever since he bailed out on her. He was afraid that she had met someone perfect, someone who was a better person than him and not a coward. He was afraid of what she would say, had they ever crossed paths. But seeing her like this, in her current situation, and knowing that he was responsible, there was a lot of guilt that he wasn't sure he'd be able to handle.

"You got your money." He muttered under his breath, as all the information was taking its toll on his mind. "Just get out." He continued as he walked over to the door and opened it for her.

Camilla's eyes narrowed further. "I never said any of this was your fault," she told him. Sure, she'd thought about it, but she wasn't about to blame him for her predicament out loud. If he was projecting that on her, he must feel guilty about it somehow. Camilla didn't really feel like correcting him on that one- if he felt guilty, she was perfectly fine with that. "But if you insist, if you hadn't left I might not have gotten into this situation. He wouldn't have found me." By "he" she was referring to Sam, even though Ethan didn't know that. He was smart, he could probably figure it out. Most girls like her worked under a pimp of some kind.

"Oh, I'm naive," she repeated. That stung quite a bit more than she was willing to admit. "Well I'm sorry you hate this place so much. And I'm sorry that your hate for this place overpowered any feelings you may have had for me. I would have moved with you, Ethan, you were more important than the goddamn location! I didn't care where we were as long as I was with you! I don't think you left because you were miserable, I think you left because you were afraid." Camilla wasn't overly attached to this town. If he'd expressed his desire to move somewhere else, she would have gone with him. Maybe she was a little bit afraid of change, but that was all her life had been; change after change after change. Was it so wrong to want a little bit of stability?

She couldn't figure out what was going through his head, but the feeling of shame hadn't departed. Even if it was possible to mend things between them, there was no way he'd want her now. Camilla had slept with hundreds of men over the past several years, and he was upset enough about Nick. She was dirty and tainted by what she'd become, and no self-respecting man would ever give her a second glance. That was why she had to escape this, and Ethan...well, Ethan wasn't helping. He didn't seem interested in helping her or hearing her story, and Camilla wasn't about to subject him to all that if he didn't care. If he wanted to sit there and judge her, that was fine. She was entirely capable of doing the same to him.

Still, her heart sunk when he told her to get out. It was a confirmation of all that she had already feared to be true. "With pleasure," she muttered. Pushing past him without a second glance, she left the room.

Ethan just stared her down as she tried to explain her side of the story. She would've come with me? Bullshit. Of course, he just kept to himself. He pretty much said everything he wanted to say. He was still pissed off. He still couldn't get the image of her and Nick out of his head. Just the thought of it made his blood boil. He knew he shouldn't be feeling this way. He made the choice to walk out on their relationship. She should be free to do whatever she wanted, but no matter how much he tried to himself that, it just didn't help. Those feelings just kept coming back. But what got his attention even more, was when she mentioned "he", as in someone else. He didn't ask anymore questions. The last thing he wanted was for her to think that he was jealous. Which wasn't completely wrong. But he still couldn't help but be curious. And she was right, Ethan knew deep down, that she was right about one thing. He was afraid. Or at least, he had some doubts which was somewhat of a contributing factor in his decision to bail on the relationship.

When Camilla walked through that door, Ethan contemplated stopping her. He hadn't seen her in 4 years. Yes, he was hoping he wouldn't run into and yes, he was angry. But despite all that, he still loved her. Those feelings for her never changed. It was because of that, he never became romantically involved with anyone, even after he moved on through college. But of course, a lot of things had changed. They had both changed. She had chosen a different path and they were on two different ends of the spectrum. Besides, even if he did try to stop her or offer her some help, would she have taken it? There was a lot of conflict going on inside his head, he wasn't sure what to do.

"Wait..." He blurted as he reached into his pocket for a business card. "Look... I..." He stammered, not sure if she was willing to listen to him, especially after everything he said. "I don't want this to end like this. Would it be okay if we met again? Preferably on a day you aren't... well... doing this?" He asked before handing her the business card. "My number's on there." He informed before placing his hands into his pockets. Not sure how she would react. Honestly, he wouldn't be surprised if she threw the card at him and stormed out. He knew he was out of line, but he was at least hoping she would give him another chance. "Also, no. I don't think your dress is offensive." He declared. Nervously, he runs his hand through his hair. "I actually think it looks good on you." He continued.

Camilla wasn't expecting him to call after her, so when he did she stopped in her tracks and glanced back, eyes wide. There were several things she wanted him to say, that she desperately needed to hear...but he didn't say any of them. Instead, he thrust a business card at her, the most impersonal thing of all. Camilla glared at the little card for a good long moment before taking it from him and shoving it into the other pocket of her coat. "Is a secretary going to answer my call?" she asked dryly. Camilla wasn't sure that she would call, but maybe she would think about it...if he could stop being judgmental for a hot second. She worked almost every night and she never knew when her nights off would be, but her days were usually free. Maybe they could grab lunch....but did she really want to see him again? He'd broken her heart in high school, and now here he was yelling at her.

Except he wasn't yelling anymore. Instead, he was asking to see her. To talk, like civilized human beings. Camilla didn't know what to think. "I know," she responded when he complimented her dress. She wouldn't be wearing it if it didn't drive men crazy. Then, realizing that he was trying halfheartedly to make up for what he'd said, Camilla sighed and shoved her own hands in her pockets, glancing at the ground.

"Look, Ethan," she said softly. "If you want to talk, can we do it now? I think we both know I'm never going to call this number, and he'll be suspicious if I get back this early." Sam could track her phone so that he would know if she stopped by her apartment to stash away some of the money before delivering it to him, and he would know if she left the hotel so soon.

She glanced back up, meeting his eyes. Just for a second, she saw the man she loved there. The Ethan that loved her unconditionally no matter how many times she screwed up. Camilla couldn't say in all truthfulness that she still loved him; her ideas of love had been distorted and twisted in the last few years, and she wasn't even sure what it was anymore. She'd given herself to so many men, and each one of them walked away with a little piece of her soul. She had hardly anything left to give. But there was still a part of her that cared for him, deeply, despite how much he had hurt her. She wanted to talk now, before she had a chance to talk herself out of it.

He shook his head, "No, it's my personal number." He responded. Ethan wasn't sure if he was emotionally stable enough to continue this discussion now. He had been awake for over 24 hours and it was a long and emotional day. Seeing Camilla again just made it even harder. He was exhausted, but he kind of didn't want her to leave either. There was a somewhat of a long pause when she asked if they could talk about it now. After thinking through it, he decided to toughen it out. He nodded at her response. "I rather speak in private though. Not... you know, out here." He gestured at the hallway. He welcomed her back into the room. Locking the door behind him and even putting up the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the knob. Just in case his friends got back and decided to interrupt their conversation.

He sat down at the edge of his bed, and gestured at Camilla to have a seat as well. He wasn't sure how to start the conversation or even where to start it. It's been a long time since they talked and this dramatic encounter had just made things even more complicated than it needed to be. "This guy you keep bringing up... who is he?" He asked curiously, holding his hands together, gripping it tightly, maybe hoping they would ease the nerves a bit. "If he's hurting you in anyway, you need to tell me. I'll take care of it." He assured her. Although, it wouldn't exactly be easy. He could use his political reach to have local law enforcement take a look into it, but a lot of things would need to happen before all that. There would need to be various statements from Camilla that would have to be properly documented, a warrant from the district attorney, and not to mention he would have to gain approval from his bosses to even start the case, which wouldn't be very easy.

Plus people in this line of work aren't too fond of newcomers who just end up starting cases that don't benefit them in the long run. It's backwards thinking, but that's just how the world works. "You said he'd become suspicious if you left early. I doubt that would be of any concern to you unless you were scared." He followed up. Though, the more Ethan thought about it, this was more of an interrogation, than an actual conversation. But it's something that's been lingering in the back of his mind for a while and he wanted to know what was going on.

Camilla was relieved when he agreed. If he'd said no, it probably would have been the last time they spoke to one another. Camilla wasn't going to call the number if she left, she was going to end up tearing it to shreds and throwing it away. Then later when she regretted it, she doubted she'd be able to contact him again. She had to be careful about contacting people, anyways.

Back inside the room. Camilla shrugged her coat off again and put it on the chair, only because it was too warm to wear inside. She followed him to the bed and perched on the end of it, staring down at her lap and picking at her manicured nails. She furrowed her brow when he asked who she kept referring to- she would have thought it would be self-explanatory. Did he not know anything about her line of work?

"He's my..." Camilla wasn't sure how to put it politely. "My employer," she finally settled on. "He tells me when I'm working, I work, and he gets the money. In return he pays for my rent and my food, makes sure I have what I need and keeps the police away. He doesn't hurt me." Sam had never raised a hand against her, but he had trapped her in this prison. Camilla was fighting to get out, and maybe Ethan could help her but...she was a proud girl, and it was hard to admit that she needed help.

"He found me a month or two after you left," she said slowly, picking at her dress. "I was sad, I had just turned eighteen and the foster system wasn't taking care of me anymore. I was afraid I was going to be homeless and I was missing you, and he just...he promised he'd help me if I did a little work for him. I didn't know what I was getting into. At first it was just temporary but, well. Here I am."

Scared wouldn't have been the word Camilla picked, but she supposed she was...wary. "No, I mean, not really," she protested weakly. "But if I leave early he'll think I didn't do my job, and I could have gotten more money if I'd stayed longer. If he thinks he's being cheated out of money or that I'm not doing a good job he just...makes things a little harder for me, for a while. I usually have to dig into my savings to get groceries, and I can't..." she trailed off, wondering how much she should tell him. She'd already spilled almost the entire story, leaving a few choice bits of it out. But she wanted to tell Ethan, even though she couldn't pinpoint why. Maybe because if he knew he wouldn't look down on her as much. The idea of Ethan being disgusted by what she'd become or seeing her as a lesser version of the girl he'd known tore her apart, and she wanted to redeem herself in his eyes. If that was even possible.

"Sounds like he's controlling you." He stated as he looked over at her. Ethan just to a deep breath, not sure what he could really do or if he'd be any help at all. The problem with him was that aside from certain laws and regulations regarding prostitution, he wasn't entirely sure about anything else except that. Plus it's not like he's had past experience with it to really know anything else. That being said, Camilla's situation did bring back some memories about his childhood. Memories that he's always tried so hard to forget. To be honest, this town was full of bad memories which is why he hated it so much. His father walked out on him and his mom when he was 13 years old. He didn't have many fond memories of him. The one that comes to mind the most was when he missed curfew one night and his father began beating on him with a belt.

He still had visible scars from that incident, which people have brought up in the past, but he's never felt comfortable talking about it, so he'd always just make something up on the spot. His mom worked two jobs to try and support them and for a few years, it was working out. However, eventually her body could no longer handle the stress and she would constantly collapse due to exhaustion. And that eventually cost her her life. After that Ethan was constantly fighting depression, but once he started dating Camilla, he began to make progress. She made him feel like he would be able to make it through. He never opened up to her about his feelings, but he always knew that he could count on her. But even then, he couldn't let go of the thought of leaving this town. And Camilla was right about one other thing, the relationship scared him. There was always some doubt in the back of his mind that their relationship would become strained. After all, that's what happened between his parents.

After listening to her story, Ethan felt even more terrible for acting the way he did. He judged and made assumptions without knowing the full extent of her story. Of course, he knew the main reason he acted the way he did. It was Nick. It still bothered him but he wanted to look past that. "I'm not going to tell you how to live your life, Cam. But if you want my two cents, I think you should quit. It's not too late." He encouraged her. He almost asked her to come with him, but he knew Camilla would never want to be with him again. Not after what he did. He dug into his back pocket and pulled out his wallet. He knew it wasn't much, but he figured it was a start. After how he left, he knew he owed her something. He pulled out a blank check from his wallet and began scribbling some information on it. "Here." He said, handing her the check. "It's a check for a thousand dollars. I know it's not much, but it should have you covered for the month." He informed, as he insisted that she take it.

Controlling her. Camilla had thought that before, but she didn't know what to do about it. She had become submissive to Sam's every whim and she saw no way out. She just felt...trapped. "Maybe," she relented. "But I don't know how to stop him. And he's not a bad guy, it's just...it's business. And he cares about me." Of course, Sam had spent a very long time brainwashing her to think that. He was the one who took care of her, made sure she had enough to eat and a place to live. He'd convinced her that without him, she'd be completely destitute. Camilla believed him.

Her heart stopped when he called her Cam- nobody had called her that since high school and it brought back a whole new surge of memories. Good ones, when things were simple and she and Ethan were in love. He'd made her so happy, and despite all the stress in her life she was always content with him. It was strange how a simple nickname could open up so many repressed feelings. But he was wrong about one thing; it was too late.

"I can't just quit," she sighed, staring back at her hands. "It doesn't work like that. My apartment is in his name, he pays the rent. I quit and I lose my home. I haven't saved up enough to move anywhere else, and what would I do, anyways? I don't have any recent work history to put on a resume, I don't have a degree, and nobody respectable is going to want me after..." she trailed off. Camilla had realized in the past year that the chances of her escaping, getting married and having a family of her own away from all of this were slim. Who could love a woman who'd slept with literally hundreds of other men? Camilla had accepted it, but it still upset her.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw him digging through his wallet, and her eyes widened when she saw him begin to write a check. "No," she said quickly, pushing his hand back. "No, Ethan, I...thank you, but I don't want your money." Who was she kidding? Of course she wanted his money. But her pride wouldn't allow her to take it. She wasn't a beggar or a charity case. A thousand dollars was nothing to scoff at, but it was too much. Camilla couldn't take money from him.

He was a good person? Was she actually serious about all that or was that just something she's been trying to tell herself? Someone who was this manipulative, who had her feeling this paranoid, who would force her into this type of profession, wasn't someone he would consider a good person. Not by a long shot. But who was he to judge? He wasn't exactly someone you could good "good" either. Ethan held his tongue, simply because he knew he was in no position to talk. He just quietly nodded, in her response, not saying anything else.

When she explained her situation, Ethan knew exactly what he would've done in her situation. He would've taken the leap. He would've risked it all to get out of this town. But he knew Camilla wasn't like that, that's what made them different. Although there was a time when they were both madly in love and there were times when Ethan could imagine himself being with her for the rest of his life, and creating a place where they could start a family of their own, there was always a part of him that was afraid. Something he always tried to hide, even from himself.

"I know." He replies softly, almost as if he was whispering. Ethan wasn't happy, even if her explanation did make sense. He didn't like that she could just sit there and take all that. That she would subject herself to someone who would go out of their to hurt her. He takes a deep breath, mostly as a way to exhale all that frustration out of his body. When she said that no one would want her, he almost asked her to come with him, but he didn't. He had his chance and he blew it and those days were long gone. After he just left, how could she possibly trust him again? "But don't you want to be happy? Don't you want a life that isn't... this?" Obviously referring to the prostitution. "You've always been smart, Cam. Even in school, you were smart as hell. You can be anything you want." He assured her. He took out a box of cigarettes from his breast pocket, placing one in his mouth, before placing it back. He pulled out a lighter, lighting it up, before taking a huff. Shortly after he and Camilla started seeing each other, Ethan had stopped smoking, but after he left, he picked it back up to relieve the stress. It's not a habit he's proud of, but in this profession, almost all of his colleagues do it, so he doesn't feel as guilty about it as he used to.

"I know you don't want it. And I know you didn't ask for my help and you probably don't need it." He said firmly. "But I want you to take it, regardless. Because despite what happened with us, despite the altercation we had, despite how much you hate me, you're still the most important person in my life, Cam." He confessed, as he gently placed the check in her hand. It wasn't much, definitely not enough to make up for what he did, and to be honest, it didn't ease his guilt all that much. But he still hoped she would take it and he hoped she would use it to get herself out of this mess. There was a moment, it was quiet, and his heart began to race, as he held her hand. He gazed into her eyes for a brief moment and contemplated kissing her. Something he hadn't done in a long time. Even if she still hated him, even if she wanted nothing to do with him, and even after all that's happened between them, he still wanted to kiss her. He wanted to feel that feeling again. But before he could muster up the courage, his phone buzzed. It was Nick. He texting him asking if it was safe to come upstairs.

((Sorry about the delay. I was on a vacation with my family and had inconsistent access to the internet. And when I did have access, I just didn't have a place to myself where I could just concentrate and put out detailed responses. I'm back now though, so hopefully we can continue without too many delays. I'm still 100% interested in the roleplay.))

Camilla looked to him, slightly indignant. "How do you know I'm not happy?" she asked him sharply. Her expression softened when she realized it was probably obvious, written all over her face. She wasn't happy, and anyone could see it. She sighed, crossing her arms over her chest. "I'm saving up to leave," she told him. "I'm working on it. But it's a slow process, and one I have to handle very carefully. I need to make sure I have enough of a cushion to find a job, pay at least a few months rent, buy food...because when I go Sam is going to make sure I'm going with nothing. And it's hard to save, because he gives me just enough to live on." It was all a trap, designed to keep her working for him as long as possible, or at least until she lost her appeal.

"I can't be anything I want," she disagreed bitterly. "It's too late for that. I'm just trying to make the best of things now. At this rate I'll be able to leave in another year or two." Maybe more, she added in her head. She was taken by surprise when he lit a cigarette, narrowing her eyes. She knew that he'd smoked before, and to be honest Camilla had had her own fair share of drugs in this business, but he'd quit. "That's not good for you," she commented, as if the fact that he smoked gave her something to hold over him. It didn't. It didn't even come close to what he had on her.

The thousand dollars he was offering her was tempting. Incredibly tempting. She wanted to take his money, put it in her savings and use it to get out that much sooner. It took her months to save up that kind of money. Having resisted, though, it didn't hurt her pride as much to take it. She accepted the check and put it in her bag, eyes downcast. "Well, thank you. But if I'm the most important person in your life, Ethan, that's pretty depressing." Before tonight, he hadn't even known where she was. He didn't have her number, had no way of knowing if she was even still in town. If she was the most important person in his life...well, she wasn't in his life. So what did that mean? Then he reached for her hand, and Camilla felt her heart stop. Familiar feelings of a time when she was in love with him began flooding back...Camilla didn't know what to do with those feelings anymore. It had been so long since she'd allowed herself to become truly attached to anyone...and Ethan was a person she'd tried to forget about. Unsuccessfully, but it didn't help that he was sitting here now, holding her hand, gazing into her eyes the way that he used to.

She felt the urge to kiss him as well, but the sound of his phone buzzing broke the moment. "Nick," she said, glancing at his phone. Camilla took that as a cue to take her leave. Standing, she helped him mess up the sheets a bit more before circling back around to him. Quickly, she ran her hands through his hair to mess it up, unbuttoned his shirt about halfway down, spritzed him with a tiny bit of her perfume, and then on impulse leaned forward to press a kiss to his cheek with the intention of leaving a red lipstick stain there. She usually left Nick with a similar mark, so it made it more believable. Also...maybe she wanted to do it, just a little bit. "Alright, now you look like we slept together," she said softly. "I guess I'll be heading out. You know how to find me if you want." With that, she shrugged her coat over her shoulders and headed for the door.

((It’s all good!))

Last edited:
When Camilla shot back, questioning him on how he knew she wasn't happy, Ethan froze. The truth was that he didn't really know how she felt about it. It was just a guess. But he did know that the girl he loved, the girl he walked out on would never stand for it. He knew a lot had changed, but there was this part of him that hoped that the girl he was in love with was still there. Fortunately for him, she didn't pressure him for an answer, since he didn't exactly have one. He listened silently as she talked, informing him about her situation and her plan to leave. "If he was a good person, he would've let you leave." He stated firmly. Still trying to comprehend what exactly makes her think this employer of hers is a good person.

Ethan had a hard time accepting that this was her life. He remembered that there was a time when she was passionate about animals and wanted to save lives and help them. She would talk endlessly about wanting to be a veterinarian and Ethan truly believed that she would get there. She was one of the smartest people in school and he wanted more than anything to watch her get there. It always brought a smile to his face whenever she talked about her future. "I don't believe that. And I know you don't either. It's just an excuse you made up to make yourself feel better. Because you're afraid you may never get to be free." He informed her, reading her like an open book.

When she pointed out that smoking wasn't good for him, he shrugged. "It helps me relax." He mumbled, the cigarette in his mouth. Ethan started smoking shortly after his mom died, but after the endless nagging from Camilla, he had finally decided to quit. It wasn't easy and it was definitely a struggle at times, but her support and love motivated him to steer off that path. But once he left for college, he picked the bad habit backup. There was some guilt at the beginning, but eventually that subsided. There were so many factors involved, but the fact was that he had screwed up. He always regretted not bringing Cam with him.

He was glad he was able to convince her to take the check. But her next comment made his heart sink. She really had lost a lot of faith in herself. But he didn't say anything, even though he wanted too. He held her hand and gazed into her eyes, getting lost in them. They were beautiful. He wanted to kiss her so badly and just when he contemplated going for it, Nick had sent him a text that ended up killing the moment. There was a visible frown on his face as Camilla had gotten up and began messing up the bedsheets. Then she began to unbutton his shirt, just enough to make it convincing. When she kissed his check, his heart skipped a beat. He placed his finger on where she had kissed him. It was like those old feelings had surged their way back.

As Camilla made her way to the door, Ethan walked over to open it for her. He didn't want her to leave. Not after what she had told him and to be honest, being around her made him realize how he truly felt. He wasn't afraid of their future together anymore. He knew how empty his life was without her. He realized just how happy she made him. It was like he was ready to take that next step... only it was too late now. And as she was about to walk out, he couldn't help himself. "Come with me." He blurted out, no longer able to hide his emotions.

He grabbed her hand and pulled her into his arms. He held her firmly, not wanting to let go. He embraced her, the scent of her hair overwhelming him. Her hair smelled like roses. "You were right... I was always afraid of our future together. I was afraid that spark we had would fade away. I was afraid we'd end up like my parents." He confessed. He hated his father and never wanted to be like him. That was his worst fear. The fear of hurting Camilla, like his father hurt his mother. Yet, just as his father walked out on him and his mom, he had done the same to Camilla. It was ironic.

"I have a place in the city, it's perfect for the both of us. I'm making enough to support us both, so you can take some time off to figure out what you want to do. You'll be far away from this place and you can do whatever makes you happy." He assured her softly as he kissed her forehead softly, before kissing each side of her cheeks, until his lips reached hers and he planted his lips against hers, passionately, before working his way down to neck. Kissing and nibbling her jawline and neck. Ethan didn't know what had gotten into him, but he was more sure than ever that this was what he wanted. But he knew he was getting ahead of himself and that it was wishful thinking.

Ethan kept questioning Sam's integrity, and that was probably fair, but Camilla didn't really know what to say about it. He had taken her in when she had nobody else, brainwashed her into believing that he loved her and that if she worked for him they would be able to be together. That had ended pretty quickly once he had her trapped, and now Camilla understood that he had been manipulating her. But he never hurt her, he gave her what she needed...but of course, Camilla did all the work. He didn't have to go out at midnight because someone was feeling horny and attend to their every wish. Maybe Sam wasn't a good person, but Ethan had no idea the things Camilla had done. Sometimes she felt like she wasn't any better. Sex was the only thing she was good at anymore. If she was a good person maybe she would have been able to see she was being played before it was too late.

She narrowed her eyes, glaring at him when he insisted that it was an excuse she'd made up to make herself feel better. What did he know? "I am saving up to leave," she insisted sharply. "But to do anything worthwhile I'd have to get a degree, and I'll never save up enough for college. It's not going to work, Ethan, I'm just being realistic. I don't expect you to understand." They'd both struggled in high school, but he had no way of understanding everything that she'd been through. Yes, once upon a time she'd wanted to go to veterinary school, but that was never an attainable dream and Camilla could see that now. Ethan had always made her feel like she could do anything, be anything. He always believed in her so much more than she believed in herself, and that excitement was contagious. It was crazy, and she'd loved him so much for it. But then he'd walked out on her and frankly, Camilla's confidence had crumbled. Sam had certainly never helped her with that, and the path her life had taken hadn't done her much good.

When the buzzing of his phone broke the moment, Camilla had to admit she was a little bit relieved. She needed to leave before something happened that both of them would regret. They weren't together anymore. He didn't love her, and Camilla was trying to convince herself that she didn't still love him. She needed to leave and forget that this had ever happened. She'd just go on with her life pretending that he wasn't in town anymore and tomorrow, everything would return to normal. For a moment, she thought she was really going to leave. Her fingertips had just barely touched the doorknob when his voice called out to her again.

"Come with me."

Camilla froze. Had she heard him right? Before she could come up with a decent response, he pulled her back and into his arms. The feeling of him holding her was so familiar, but it felt like...like a moment from another life. His embrace felt the same, he smelled the same. She didn't know how to react, but out of habit she hugged him tightly in return, savoring the moment even though it couldn't last.

But then he started talking about a place in the city...somewhere they could live, together. Free from this horrible situation, free from all of Sam's tricks. Camilla's heart melted, and for a moment she allowed herself to imagine what that might be like. If they could just go back to the way things were, when they were in love and the world was at their feet. Camilla wanted that future so badly, more than anything. But she knew she couldn't have it. Ethan had left her once before, what proof did she have that he wouldn't leave again? If he walked out on her again, she'd be even worse off than she was now.

"I can't, Ethan," she whispered, trying to keep control of herself as he started kissing her. Oh god, why did he have to go and do that? He pressed his lips against hers and Camilla just about lost it. She kissed him back, her arms finding their way around his neck as she pulled him closer. She'd kissed a thousand men, but Ethan was different. He was the only one that mattered, that really meant something. But now it was her turn to be afraid. He continued to tempt her, kissing down her neck and holding her close, but Camilla still tried to resist. "I can't, I can't..." she insisted. "Ethan. Ethan, you have to stop...we can't do this." She didn't want him to stop, but he had to. Finally, she managed to tear herself away enough to form a coherent sentence.

"Ethan, we can't," she said firmly. "You left me once. How do I know you aren't just...caught up in the moment, in seeing me again? You feel bad for me now, but you'll change your mind by tomorrow. We can't go back to the way things were."

Ethan was slightly surprised when she kissed him back, it wasn't really what he was expecting, but it made him happy to know that she still felt the same way. She insisted that he stop, multiple times, and he knew he should, but there was something inside him, something that was longing for this moment for far too long. All those feelings from their high school days came back in waves and he just couldn't control himself. It wasn't until she pushed him away that he finally stopped and listened to her. Her question didn't surprise him, because in her position, he would've asked the same thing and he didn't blame her for feeling the way she was. Ethan always regretted it, no matter how far he had come, a nice house, a nice car, and a great job, all of those things were great. But if he was honest, they didn't make him feel that same surge of happiness that he had with Camilla. Not even close. She was always the missing piece that was missing in his life.

"I don't blame you for feeling this way." He replied, although he wasn't particularly thrilled to hear it. But what she was asking was valid. What he did to her and how he just up and left, without a word or trace, it would be a long time before those feelings ever went away for her. She trusted him and did nothing but support him through all the hard moments, but after what he did, he knew she probably would never feel the same way about him, because all that trust was gone. It just isn't as easy as turning off some kind of switch. "But these feelings aren't temporary, nor did they just come back to me in this moment." He added, placing his arms around her, bringing her in once more, as he held her in his arms. He closed his eyes for a moment, as all those memories came rushing back. He missed this feeling. A lot more than he was willing to admit. "My feelings for you never changed. Not once. And that's the truth. When I left, it had nothing to do with how I felt about you. After my mom was gone, everything changed. This town was an emotional hell for me and I wanted so badly to get out of here. But another reason was because I was afraid of our future together. My dad was never a great husband or a father, and because of that I had a lot of doubts about myself. My biggest fear was disappointing you and I used that as an excuse to back out of our relationship. But no matter how hard I tried to move on, I couldn't do it. Because letting you go was the biggest mistake of my life." He confessed, his voice low, almost as if he was whispering.

There was a brief silence, and Ethan knew that his explanation wasn't good enough. Yes, he had a difficult childhood, but so did she. Yes, he had a lot of doubts about himself and the future of their relationship, but he chose to keep those feelings hidden instead of confiding in her. He wasn't expecting Camilla to just forgive him, just like that. But he wanted to make things right. He wanted a life with her, away from this horrible town, away from all the baggage, and start a fresh life in the big city, in a house where they could grow old together, with a family of their own, and do whatever made them happy. He knew it would be tough and there would a lot of obstacles in the way, but he knew they could overcome it, together. He had a great job lined up that paid well, and Camilla could figure out what she wanted, be it attending college, or finding a job, he just knew that whatever it was, he would support her completely. But that was only if she wanted to be with him, if she was willing to give him another chance, if she would be able to trust him again.

His phone buzzed once more, Ethan let go of Cam to see who it was and it was Nick, checking to see if everything was alright, since he hadn't replied to his last text. Ethan quickly replied. "Everything is fine, I'm going to spend the night with Camilla. We can talk in the morning." He hit the send button before putting the phone back in his pocket. The image of Nick and Camilla was still in his head and he couldn't get over it. It bothered him, because he had a connection to the both of them. But he tried his best to not let it get to him, because Camilla and Nick were free to do whatever they wanted. They were both adults, capable of making their own decisions, and up until an hour ago, he wasn't even a part of this. He and Camilla weren't even together, so it wasn't like she was cheating. The funny thing was that he knew she had slept with a lot of men, but that didn't bother him as much as the image of her and Nick. He was handling it all a lot better than he was earlier, he just wished he hadn't known about it.

Camilla didn't know what to say. She didn't know what to think, either. Ethan pulled her back into his arms and she didn't resist, but she didn't lean in, either. She listened to what he had to say and tried to make sense of it all...but she just couldn't comprehend it. If his feelings had never changed, then why hadn't he reached out? He never would have found her if Nick didn't have her number to begin with. "Then why didn't you try to find me?" she whispered back. "I never heard from you. Not once." She couldn't shake the idea that he was just infatuated with the idea. Seeing her brought back memories and feelings for him just as they did for her, but how could she trust that they were real? His words were pretty, but they were just words. Camilla couldn't uproot her entire life on a promise he was making her now. Twenty minutes ago he'd been yelling at her to put her coat back on.

"I don't know, Ethan," she whimpered. Tears were forming in her eyes. "I don't know that I can. I loved you, truly, but I'm...I'm not the same girl anymore. I'm not the same. You want the old Camilla, you don't want me." She couldn't just pick up and leave, start living a charmed life with him in his big house...it wasn't that easy. It was more complicated than that. Even if he did manage to convince her to leave her current situation, a new environment wasn't going to fix her. Not after everything she'd been through. And Ethan had only been talking to her for the lesser part of an hour, he had no way of understanding all the ways in which she'd changed.

When he let go, Camilla backed up a small amount and watched him type a response. "Nick, again?" she asked. And that brought up another problem. "How would you explain it to him? That his favorite whore is moving in with you?" Nick was a nice enough guy, but Camilla knew that he was texting so much because he was eager for his turn. No matter which way they spun it, that news would be awkward. But the truth was, Camilla wanted to move in with him. She did, she just...didn't see how she could trust it. But she was fully aware that this might be her ticket out...she just had to play her cards wisely.

"How about this," she began thoughtfully. "I...I'll move in with you. But I don't want any strings attached, I...I don't want to sleep with you, and I'm not ready to be your girlfriend again. I need some...I need some time." And probably therapy, she added mentally. "And I want a promise that no matter what happens, you won't leave me with nowhere to go. I want it in writing, something legal. I imagine you know all about that."

Maybe that was a lot of ask of someone who didn't have to offer to help her, but Camilla had to protect herself somehow. She'd been duped before by a man who claimed to care about her, and this time she had to take some precautions. She was tired of sleeping around, of being taken advantage of. But she was also wary of repeating the cycle. This was Ethan, and she cared about him so much- that was what made this so dangerous. But Camilla was getting desperate, and the only thing worse than taking his risky deal was not taking it and missing out on an opportunity that could have turned her life around. Camilla was terrified, but she didn't think she could live with the "what if" question.

"Because I was scared. I walked out of your life and I was afraid to know what would happen if I walked back into it." He whispered back, as he held her close. Ethan had contemplated looking for her, on more than one occasion, but the more he thought about it, the more terrified he became. He's been in love with Camilla for as long he could remember and it would kill him to see her happy with someone else. Even though he knew it was probably for the best, that she should be with someone who wouldn't walk out on her the way he did. He knew she deserved so much better than him. It was because of that he never came back for her. He always thought that maybe she had moved on and was happy. If that was the case, who was he to walk back into her life and ask her to take him back?

When she said "I don't know", his heart sank. He looked at her as tears formed in her eyes. As she told him how she truly felt, how her feelings for him weren't the same anymore, how she had changed, and how the girl he loved didn't exist anymore, he couldn't help but feel that surge of guilt make its way back. Even if Camilla insisted that this wasn't his fault, he knew it was. If he wasn't afraid, if he wasn't selfish, he knew she would never be in this mess. Ethan wanted to say he loved her, but what good would that actually do? She had already implied she didn't feel that way about him anymore, he decided to not say anything stupid and not come on too strong. "Whatever problems you're facing, we will work them out. Together." He said firmly, before being interrupted by Nick's text.

"Nick isn't as heartless as you think." He informed her as he put his phone back in his pocket. "He's one of the few close friends I have left. He's always been supportive and he's not one to jump to conclusions and judge others. He's not me." He admitted, as he crossed his arms, observing her. "I know you're just trying to scare me away and the old me probably would've back out. But that's not who I am anymore." He added, giving her a soft smile.

Ethan smiled as she finally gave in, he half expected her to walk out on him, but thankfully she didn't. Not that it would've changed anything. Had she refused, Ethan wouldn't have stopped until he had gotten a yes. He'd stay in the town, even if it meant missing important amount of time away from work. This was something that wasn't on his agenda until now, but he knew he wanted this. More than anything. Ethan listened to her demands, and he would be lying if he said those words didn't sting, but he was perfectly happy to accept them. He didn't offer to help her, expecting anything in return, because the truth is, she didn't owe him anything. "Alright." He replied, placing his hands in his pocket. "I'll have a contract written up first thing tomorrow." He added.

Ethan would leave with her right now if he could, the sooner they got out of this town the better, but he had work that needed to be taken care of in the local government office. Certain political contracts that needed to be sorted out, funds that needed to be assessed, followed by an in depth overview of the town's employment and educational structure and report back to the big city the following. That was basically his job. Normally he would stay in the main government office in New York City, but on occasion, his superiors have sent him on short business ventures. "Have your things packed. We'll leave tomorrow at 8:00 PM sharp. I have some work related stuff to take care of before all that." He informed her.

Camilla was still struggling to find the right words to express her feelings. He was scared? Ethan was always scared. He could have at least called her to see if she was okay...but she supposed she could have called him, too. The difference was that while he claimed to still have feelings for her, Camilla didn't know if she still have feelings for him. It was so hard to have feelings for anyone after the life she'd led; romance was just a series of sexual interactions. She'd forgotten what it felt like to actually be in love with someone instead of just pretending, and it scared her that she might be close to experiencing it now. Just standing here with Ethan and him holding her in his arms was triggering so many old emotions that Cam didn't want to feel. This time, it was her who was afraid.

She wasn't sure if working out her problems together was even possible. A lot of them were personal, but...for some reason, Camilla believed him. His voice was genuine, and he seemed to really care about helping her. Camilla was afraid to trust him, but she wanted to. She wanted to so badly. "I want to believe that," she said softly, gazing up at Ethan. He was just as beautiful as she remembered. But there was no way he could understand what she'd been through and all the things she'd done...how stupid she'd been, everything. She was so insecure, and feared that once he really got to know her again and realized how much she'd changed, he would change his mind. Maybe he was right; maybe she was trying to scare him away.

"I don't think Nick is heartless," she said, shaking her head. "He's a nice guy, and he's always been kind to me. It's just...he knows who I am. We've spent a lot of time together and it's just...won't it be awkward to tell him about all this? I don't want to come between you." Again, that was probably just her trying to scare him away, but it was true. That wasn't a conversation she wanted to have.

When she listed her conditions, she definitely half expected him to walk out on her and forget about it. But he didn't. He agreed. For a moment, all Camilla could do was look at him in shock. She had changed, but so had Ethan. He wasn't afraid of commitment anymore, that was becoming abundantly clear. "Really?" she asked. "I mean...great. That sounds great. I'll do it." It wasn't that she didn't trust Ethan, but having something legal gave her a lot of comfort. She nodded at his instructions, hardly able to believe that this was happening. Actually, it hadn't hit her yet. "Okay," she agreed. "I'll be ready, um..." She crossed the room and picked up the hotel notepad and pen, where she wrote down her address and phone number. "I'll have to get rid of my phone..." she murmured while she was writing. "I'm pretty sure Sam can track it. But if you need me before then you can text. This is where I live." She tucked the slip of paper into his pocket and glanced at the clock.

"I need to get going," she said. "But I'll see you tomorrow, okay? I promise. And...thank you," she added after a slight pause. "You don't have to do this for me." She leaned up and kissed him lightly on the cheek.

With that, Camilla made her third walk towards the door. She reached it this time and left the hotel, taking a cab to Sam's place. She deposited the money and then returned to her apartment, at which point she pried off her heels and took a shower out of habit, even though she hadn't actually slept with anyone tonight. Then she slowly began picking and choosing her belongings, trying to cram as many clothes as she could into her small duffel bag. The money she'd saved was all cash, which she stuffed in the bottom of the bag. She was going to have to depend on Ethan a little bit, but she wasn't completely penniless. And once she was out of here, if he still wanted her to have it she would cash that check.

The next day was a long one. Camilla spent much of it trying to tidy up her apartment and make sure that she'd packed everything that she wanted. She spent the second half of it watching sitcoms trying to ease her anxiety at running away with Ethan. When the evening rolled around she was freaking out. Was she really going to do this? Did Sam know her plans? He couldn't, but she couldn't shake the paranoia. She kept looking at her phone and then at the door, waiting for a call to send her off to work or for Ethan to arrive. She didn't usually get calls this early, but you never knew. Cam wasn't sure she was ready for Ethan to show up, either. It was all so surreal. It didn't feel like her life.

The thought of her and Nick did bother him, even if he tried to keep those feelings at bay, he knew they were still there. But Ethan wanted to look past it, because Camilla was only doing her job, and that what those two did was just that, and weren't based on intimate feelings. It didn't mean anything. Or at least, that's what he was trying to tell himself. He wasn't worried about telling Nick, but if it made her feel uncomfortable, he was perfectly fine keeping this just between them. "You're not coming between anything. If you don't want him to know, it's fine. We can tell him when you're ready." He told her.

Ethan watched her as she wrote her information on the notepad, a faint smile smeared on his face. He was glad Camilla took him up on the offer, even if the feelings she once had for him, weren't there anymore. Just to be with her again, brought back a lot of memories, happy memories. Sure, he didn't have a great childhood and that this town was a living reminder of his unhappy past, but there were still some fond memories, most of which were with his time with Camilla. Ethan nodded at her response, half contemplating leaving with her now, he could make up an excuse and could talk his way out of the meeting, but he knew he needed to give Camilla some time. It was harder on her than it was for him, mainly because this town has always been her home. "I'm not. I'm doing this for both of us." He replied softly.

As she placed the slip in his pocket, before kissing him on the cheek, he wanted to pull her in, because he didn't want her to leave. He wanted to be with her all night, but he let her go, watching her as she left the room. While Ethan was happy that he would get another shot at fixing their relationship, he knew it wasn't going to be easy and there were going to be some growing pains. He didn't know what she was truly going through and he knew that he had to be patient with her and help her in anyway he could. He didn't want to mess this up. And maybe this was just wishful thinking on his part, but maybe with time, once the dust settles, that she can bring herself to trust him again, and ultimately love him again.

The next couple hours, Ethan spent his time reading over some documents for the meeting tomorrow, however he wasn't completely focused, as he was mostly thinking about him and Camilla, and them living together far away from this place. Once Ethan was tired of reading the documents, he decided to work on the contract Camilla had asked him to work on. He printed out an official contract from the US government website and began to jot down some information, before signing it off. All he needed was Camilla to sign it, which he could get tomorrow.

The next day, was a long and busy one for Ethan. For one, he didn't get a lot of sleep, and because the meeting went on for hours, constant debates, disagreements, and yelling. It was like a playground. Once the meeting was done, Ethan had to make several calls, and would report back to the official branch back in New York City, while simultaneously signing off on important documents and answering emails from concerned citizens, which also took up a couple more hours. Once the job was done, Ethan quickly signed out and made his way out of the office, glancing at his watch. Which said "7:47 PM". He got into his SUV and rushed his way over to Camilla's place, parking his car outside her apartment complex. He glanced to the right and noticed a police vehicle that was parked. Somehow, Ethan knew this wasn't a good sign. "Shit." He murmured, before stepping out of the vehicle and making his way to Camilla's floor.

As he walked out of the elevator and out into the hall, he saw one of the doors open. It was of course, Camilla's room and inside he noticed a police officer talking with Camilla. Luckily, it looked like she was okay. Ethan breathed a sigh of relief. Ethan made his way inside, to which the officer turned, noticing his presence. "What seems to be the problem, officer?" Ethan asked as he walked over to Camilla's side, placing his hand on her back. "Who are you?" The officer asks, his attention now fully on Ethan. "I'm her boyfriend." He lied, looking back at Camilla.

"We received complaints from a hotel staff that she's been prostituting on their premises." Officer informs him bluntly. "I need her to come with me to the station for further questioning. It's probably nothing and the staff made a mistake, but it's part of the procedure." He adds. "Listen, it's fine. She came to the hotel to visit me. It's all a big misunderstanding." Officer raises an eyebrow. "I'm only here for a couple of days, had a busy night, we originally had dinner plans, I couldn't make it, so she decided to come surprise me." Ethan expands. The officer places the radio back in his pocket. "The sex was great by the way." Ethan adds again, this time realizing that he should've just kept quiet.

"Uh-huh, what do you do for a living?" The officer asks. "I work for the New York State government." The officer stares at him, before looking back at Camilla, and then back at Ethan again. "Alright, let me see some identification." He demands, this time to both Camilla and Ethan. Ethan pulls out his driver's license as well as his government issued business card. The officer records the information down, before whispering something in his radio. "Sounds good, I'll let this go and clear it up with the hotel. Just stay out of trouble." He warns before walking out of the room.

Once the officer is gone, Ethan takes a deep breath. "You alright?" He asked, placing his arm around her, trying to comfort her. "The car's out in the front. You pack everything you need?" He asks, as he looks around the apartment. It wasn't anything like he was expecting. To be honest, it was quite spacious and looked well maintained. "At least that employer of yours set you up with a decent place." Ethan adds, noticing a few boxes and a briefcase. "Why don't you go sit in the car? I'll bring these down." He instructs, as he hands her the car keys. "Oh, and here's the contract you wanted." He pulls out a folded piece of paper that was resting in his breast pocket.

When there was a knock on the door, Camilla jumped up from her place on the couch to go answer it. It was a couple minutes early, but she was sure it was Ethan. When she opened the door and saw a police officer standing there instead of Ethan, though, she was stunned and her heart dropped. What on earth?

"Can...can I help you?" she asked nervously.

"Yes I think you can. Were you at this hotel last night?" The cop showed her an address and Camilla stared at it, wide-eyed. Her heart started pounding. Had Ethan turned her in? No...no, surely he wouldn't. But who else would know that she was there? Nick? She couldn't believe this...five years and she'd never once coming close to getting busted.

"I..." she stammered, but before she could get a word out Ethan came up the stairs and started talking to the officer. Before she knew what was happening, he was claiming to be her boyfriend and telling him about the sex they'd had, which gave her a whole new reason to be surprised. And more than a little confused. But she was basically a professional at making men believe she was in love with them, so she quickly caught on and played along. "Hun, he doesn't want to hear about that," she said, nudging Ethan. When the officer asked for an ID she scrambled to find her driver's license, handing it to him.

"Really, officer, with all due respect. If I was a hooker why would I invite clients to my home?" she asked him. That combined with their ID's and Ethan's credibility seemed to convince him, and soon enough he was out of their hair. Shaken by the whole experience, Camilla grabbed Ethan's sleeve and dragged him inside her apartment, closing the door.

"Oh my god," she breathed, trying to calm down. "That was close. So you didn't...that wasn't you who called him? About me? How did he find out where I live?" She had a lot of questions and it took her a moment to collect herself. "Thank goodness you were here," she said a moment later. If he hadn't been, she would have been brought downtown to the station for questioning and Camilla didn't have any credible alibis or recent work history to deny his claims with. She couldn't believe that had just happened. She leaned into Ethan, accepting his comfort. "I'm all packed," she confirmed. "But don't you think we should...I don't know, wait a few minutes? Make sure he's gone?" Especially if they were going to be hauling her things out. She took the car keys and the piece of paper he offered her, but made no movement towards the door. "Come on, come over here and sit down for a minute." Tugging his sleeve, she led him over to her couch and sat down, tucking her feet underneath her. She was dressed more normally today, in a pair of leggings, a low-cut tank top and a cardigan. Maybe it wasn't the least revealing thing in the world, but most of Camilla's clothes were revealing. She couldn't help it.

Setting his car keys on the table next to the couch, she unfolded the contract and looked it over. She was impressed that he had it already- that he had it at all, actually. Old Ethan would have been way too afraid of the commitment to give her something like this. She gave it a quick read through and after deciding that everything looked good, she signed her name at the bottom and handed it back to him. "Thank you," she said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back