• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Last Light OOC

marshmarrow

aurelius rex

THE LAST LIGHT: OUT OF CHARACTER

Welcome to the OOC thread for The Last Light! Here is the place to offer suggestions, ask questions, and announce leaves of absence. Please do your best not to deviate the discussion away from TLL, but I don't mind a bit of silliness.

THE RULES
1. This roleplay will operate around a PG-13 rating. Detailing extreme violence or sexual activity is strictly prohibited.
2. Cursing is permitted, but do not use the f-word excessively or any slurs.
Applications must be posted in the proper thread. However, you may reserve a class via PM.
3. No more than six characters will be accepted, and no roleplayer may have more than two characters. No more than two characters of the same class will be accepted.
You will have two chances to get your form accepted. Forms will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis.
4. Roleplay in the past tense and third-person point of view.
(ex: "He joined the others at the table.")
5. I'm not picky about post length, but do your best to keep it consistent.
6. Ask for permission for shipping with another character and/or creating major plot events.
7. Make sure your characters make sense while roleplaying. Keep them in line, and do not make them deviate greatly from their personalities. Know their limitations. See the section on classes below for an idea of what your characters can and cannot do in battle.
8. Post at least once every two weeks. Depending on the pace that this roleplay ends up taking, I may loosen or tighten this requirement. If you need to drop out of the roleplay for any reason, please inform me via PM and everyone else in the OOC thread, and create a resolution with your character.
9. There will be no specific post order. Avoid one-on-one interaction going on longer than two or three posts. Check the OOC thread for any updates regarding member activity.
10. Communication is key to a successful roleplay. Have a question or a suggestion? Drop it in the OOC thread!
11. ALL POSTSCRIPTS MUST BE MOBILE FRIENDLY. This includes the character form and IC text.
12. I may add new rules or change existing ones depending on their relevance to the roleplay. I will notify you of these changes.

ACCEPTED MEMBERS

MORGAN ST. CLAIR
marksman | played by marshmarrow marshmarrow

RIYUS SOLARI
knight | played by Euclid Leaf Euclid Leaf

SHEELA BRIZOWSKI
white mage | played by Ellie the Knight Ellie the Knight

KAIDEN KRO
rogue | played by Kirito Kei Kirito Kei

LISBETH SIF
knight | played by Vranea Vranea

LEcPqTg.png

THE WORLD OF AUBADE

The world of Aubade is a vast, diverse land scattered with semi-autonomous cities around the entire continent. The structure of each city's government slightly varies, but every mayor is required to attend monthly meetings of the Grand Council in Lumen, the capital. Though the military used to be split by city before the Terra Crisis, every city except Escura has basically united into one main force. These days, the military is mostly used to fend off monsters that sometimes threaten to attack citizens near city limits.

Almost everyone in Aubade has a deist perspective of the world. They mainly believe that some sort of higher being or beings created the crystals to bring life to the world and then left it to run on its own. A small portion of citizens is atheist, believing that the crystals formed by themselves in a natural sequence of events. No matter what people think of creation, ministers and citizens alike offer sacrifices on a voluntary basis to the crystals as thanks for their protection.

Most citizens enjoy more efficient versions of the same luxuries in technology that we do today because they are powered by Solis shards rather than fossil fuels. However, rural towns use the technology that we know because without the Solis's power they cannot advance as quickly. They are seen as primitive societies compared to the sunlight cities. Maglev trains are the main means of long-distance transportation, while subways are found in most urban areas. For shorter distances, people walk, ride horseback, or bike. Guns are only used by the military. Magic can be learned in schools as an elective, and it is taught to military trainees who desire to become mages. Weapons of mass destruction have become obsolete and virtually nonexistent since the times of the Terra Crisis, and the dark arts have been banned ever since Escura closed its borders.

ALYAR
Built into the rock halfway up the lofty Mount Anemos, Alyar takes pride in raising strong, self-sufficient men and women. The cold winds blow freely almost every day, and this city is said to have the cleanest air because of that. Every year, the citizens of Alyar celebrate the hunting season by throwing a huge festival where people can relax and celebrate the bounty of the land.

EDANA
Deep within the harsh Erimos Desert lies the city of Edana. Ever since its Solis shard was brought to the city, its residents have been able to power complex irrigation systems connecting to a nearby oasis, greatly reducing the negative effects of droughts. People on this land have learned to thrive in the heat that the desert brings every day.

ESCURA
Escura is a gigantic bastion surrounded by a great wall on all sides. A thick, magical veil that prevents people from seeing what is inside the city gives off the illusion of dark purple fog to those outside the wall. It was the only major city to refuse to use the Solis, claiming that that would be the worst mistake of human history. Since then, Escura had closed its borders to all but a few neighboring towns. As of now, it is the only city to allow the use of dark magic. It is said that one can truly feel the flow of magic when walking through Escura.

LUMEN
Lumen is the capital city of Aubade. It is a giant metropolis filled with life and diversity, and the sun shines brightly on the golden tan buildings. At the center of the city are the Hall of the Grand Council and the Solis Temple. Wealthy families usually make their home here. The climate is relatively temperate all year round.

MIKANI
Mikani is a sunlight city known most for its large factories that provide materials for many areas of Aubade. It also has a reputation for housing famous scientists and engineers. Most people in this city are of the middle and working class, but a few tycoons who own factories live in mansions at the edge of the area.

RIALTO
Rialto resides at the southernmost peninsula in Aubade. Half of the city functions as a port, transporting goods and the city's famous seafood to and from the other parts of the world. The other half houses the cleanest, most charming resorts along the coast.

SANAT
Sanat is a small town built on an island in the northwest far from the reaches of any Solis shard. Though most non-Solis cities and towns do not have much contact with the rest of the world, Sanat is widely known for raising the greatest artists in Aubade. It makes up for its lack of modern technology with its rich artistic culture.

VIRIDA
In the northern reaches of the lush Suma Forest, a small sunlight city named Virida offers rest for many a weary traveler. The citizens of Virida have an utmost respect of the nature surrounding them, following a philosophy of living off and giving back to the bountiful land. Virida provides most of the fruits and vegetables for the people of Aubade.

THE CRYSTALS

AELLA
The Aella controls the wind and weather. A gentle breeze always blows in its chamber. It is located in a temple at the summit of Mount Anemos. Destruction of this crystal would cause violent winds that never ceased. Natural disasters such as hurricanes and tornadoes would occur more often with greater intensity.

F1K3gjE.png

MARIS
The Maris controls the behavior and purity of water in the world. It magically moves water from a pool below in mesmerizing patterns. It is located in a temple on the coast near the city of Rialto. Destruction of this crystal would cause water to rapidly fluctuate in level and become poisonous.

2aQKO8A.png

PYRALIS
The Pyralis controls the fire and temperature of the world. Heat radiates from its surface in its sacred chamber. It is located in a temple ten miles outside the city of Edana. Without this crystal, fires would be uncontrollable, and the temperatures would be unlivable - too warm in the day, too cold at night.

PMdTmQ5.png

SOLIS
The Solis controls the light and order in the world. Looking directly at it in its pure form without protection will blind humans. This crystal has been used as a source of energy for around the last thousand years. It has been split into several pieces, and its shards reside in chapels in the sunlight cities. The Solis' largest shard, standing about twenty-five feet tall, is located in a grand temple at the center of Lumen. All known forms of this crystal have become energized with its recycled waste, taking on a neon purple color instead of bright yellow. Destruction of this crystal would cause the night to last forever and for physics to warp out of control.

EF0uEUa.png
90R7Eu3.png

Pure -- Energized

TENEBRIS
The Tenebris controls the darkness of the world: sleep, sickness, death, and dark magic are among its duties. Staying in the crystal's sacred chamber for too long will lull visitors to nausea and extreme drowsiness, though rumors say that those who survive this effect could be healed of any ailment. It is located in a temple at the heart of Escura. Without this crystal, plagues would run rampant, no one would die or die unexpectedly, and nightmares and curses would terrorize the world.

OgmoYC0.png

TERRA
The Terra controls nature and the ground. A beautiful garden full of colorful flowers grows year-round under it. It is located in a temple in the forest just outside the border of Virida. Destruction of this crystal would cause plants to cease growth and geologic processes to go haywire. This crystal had undergone extreme hardship a thousand years ago, causing it to shrink to half its volume during what is now known as the Terra Crisis. Over the years it has recovered to about seventy-five percent of its healthy size due to humanity's switch to Solis' power.
TkQ7SvJ.png

THREADS

ROLEPLAY THREAD: CLICK HERE.
OOC THREAD: YOU ARE HERE
CHARACTER THREAD: CLICK HERE.
INTEREST CHECK: CLICK HERE.

Last edited:
I was supposed to post the character application in that tab, right? Gosh, I haven't used this site in so long, I don't even know anymore. XD

If I'm wrong, please tell me. And I'll remove it.

As to speak on the matter of the character I submitted. I was aware the Council Vanguard was supposed to be inexperienced. But I also thought it would be fitting for them to include someone who was of 'higher quality' to help even out the imbalance, as most militaries would do. (speaking from my own time in the military)

But I'm not here to argue with you. I have done the changes, as you have asked. I accented more of his latent flaws, and simply outlined the reason underneath his 'glorified' ways. I was hoping to have those things revealed in the roleplay itself, but having it all out is fine with me I suppose.

Now that we have four members, I will post the roleplay thread.
For those of you who have expressed interest or reserved a spot, you may continue to work on your characters and post them in the proper thread when they are ready. You may not begin RPing with your character until I have accepted it. I would suggest that you watch the RP thread to stay updated with events, since I plan on jumping right into the action.

Our characters are already familiar with each other's names, classes, and abilities, so introductions are not necessary. Some characters may have had lessons together in the academy, so they may already have impressions of each other's personalities and histories through general gossip or small interactions. Since this will be the first time everyone is working together on their first assignment, their ability to follow orders and their confidence when dealing with a real threat may be somewhat of a mystery.

So all in all, we know each other, but not on a personal level. This is important to make happen.

This group is spectacular, and I'm blown away by how much time and effort was put into each character. Thank you for considering my input and doing your best to flesh out your application. I apologize for any worry or frustration I may have caused because of my expectations, but I know it will pay off in the long run. For members who are interested, please use the accepted forms as examples for what information to include and what I am looking for beyond my requirements.

Never really noticed how clean looking the bbcode for this roleplay is, I should really switch to the default RPNation skin more often.

More importantly, I'm working on post as we speak. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving ^_^

Happy Thanksgiving! It's a pretty basic box, I just like to set the tone with the colors and organize it by making my accordions pretty. C: I'm excited to see what you have to write.

marshmarrow marshmarrow
Just to be clear, Morgan is the squad commander?

How is magic typically cast in your setting, are things done using simple/complex invocations such a phrases or words, or can people just will magical things to happen using nothing but their mind?

More or less. Her position as "overseer" comes with the responsibilities of filing slightly more paperwork and regularly contacting the brass, along with coordinating positions while on duty and in combat.

I will be orchestrating how the plot moves along, but each person should attack based on their proficiency in their class and where Morgan tells them to go. I do my best to factor in each characters' strength to maximize their potential, but there will be fights we will lose and many, many injuries we sustain. Of course, I will always ask permission before seriously hurting or killing a character.

Magic is wielded through the character's subconscious, but it may be amplified with a weapon - as is the case with both types of mages, marksmen, and warriors. Rogues' magic, as I stated before, is carried out with the use of sleight-of-hand and hypnosis techniques. It's amplified with words and the act of misdirection. Since knights possess little to no magic ability - apart from the rare ones who decide to pick it up - I will leave it up to the player to decide how they want to use it.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Just a heads up I'm at work but I'm working on a reply when I can! I will for sure have one up by later tonight. Sorry! My schedule is super weird and I work way to much. But I am super excited to sink my teeth into this RP!

Heyo marshmarrow marshmarrow , I have a question. I think this one character I have would be absolutely amazing for this setting, he was originally made for a Pathfinder setting which has a huge variety in creature races. He is an ifrit mainly, I am very confident that I can meet and maintain the level of quality and effort you clearly want for your setting but I would be kind of heartbroken if I had to abandon his ifrit physicality entirely as there is a lot of theme with his character that ties very much into his physical appearance. I understand that what it seems like is that this world is wholly humans but I was wondering if there was some way we could integrate some form of Pyralis-touched aspect into this character and his backstory, there is a lot to work through here and I have pictures, descriptions. That as well as whole character sheet I'd need to write to show my mettle as a character creator and a writer. I am just wondering how open you were to granting some neat physical aspects to a character outside of what might be normal for people of this time, I worry that it might seem like I am making a mary-stu in asking this but this character is very practiced and I adore seeing how he rubs elbows with others; still wanting to keep his looks similar.

Obviously his overall style is a bit too fanciful for what we might want but his character is what I want to transfer into this setting as seamlessly as possibly, the images below are so you can cherry pick what kind of aspects you really, really don't want in this setting. You'll likely need more description of how his look normally looks but I'll leave that for you to ask as you see fit.

I am going to write the characters bio and leave the description out until we resolve this out with whatever you'd like to do with it.

Thanks for your time.

tumblr_oechvxt7jd1u71hdho1_1280.png

tumblr_ounq0asG4t1u71hdho9_1280.png

Since everyone seems to be waiting on a response to Vranea Vranea , I will post now. The next few posts should be dedicated to killing off the last few dozen Solis-eaters, tending to injuries, and discussing the battle. This is for a smoother transition into the next scene. Thanks!

I assumed we were just waiting for Kirito Kei to post, since his character was titular to the battle. But I suppose that was sorted out. Though I still have to wait for Ellie to post otherwise I'm in a little awkward bind.

I assumed we were just waiting for Kirito Kei to post, since his character was titular to the battle. But I suppose that was sorted out. Though I still have to wait for Ellie to post otherwise I'm in a little awkward bind.

I should have a post up wensday afternoon. Sorry, I would post sooner but I'm super busy and I dont want to rush.

It's totally fine, I'm very patient when it comes to replies, but I have a person waiting to be introduced, so I have to move along and set up the next scene after the debriefing.

I am really sorry, school has just been pretty rough with me that past week with finals coming up.

Kirito Kei Kirito Kei will no longer be a part of the roleplay. I'll work out a situation for this scene and debriefing but his character will not continue on with us until there is a chance at a later time.

I know this is the time of year for exams, as I've just finished midterms myself. Since I'm on winter break, I'm checking in to say I will be more available than usual for the next 17 days, excluding this weekend, Christmas Day, and New Year's. I'd like to know if anyone else is on break and will be out of town. I know things in the RP are slow, but I'm winding down to prepare us for when the story really begins. That said, I am fairly relaxed as far as maintaining post order and the flow of replies, but once we enter the next scene, I will start to get things going again. This is a small group, so I'm depending on everyone to communicate your plans for the holidays if you will not be able to reply or check RPN for longer than two weeks. Thanks, and happy holidays!

I'm pretty free this time of year too. I just want to wait for others to reply before I do, since I'm more concerned about others attendance and motivation than my own.

Botbook Botbook , Sorry, this roleplay died because we had too few people responding too little. It's not anyone's fault, but I should have contacted you before now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back