• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Jewels of Sins - Main Thread

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Emily giggled at his remark about Ava. "Yeah, I wouldn't mind." She smirked, "You can also see the start of the mass production of my more potent healing potion! Heheheh!" Alongside Xavier, Emily went back to her laboratory and once all of her subordinates had gathered, began showing them how to create the new potion.

-----

Placing her potions and flask in the storage compartment of the carriage, Emily hopped inside and was ready to travel. Space inside the carriage wasn't a problem for Emily, due to her size. It was comfortable enough for her to sit down, with room to spare, and just look at the scenery as they traveled to Giant's pass.

Upon arrival, she could hear the familiar sounds of a busy marketplace. She would have fond memories of being at her shop and selling potions to help her family if it weren't for the fact that she was always mistaken for a child, and even spoken down to sometimes because of it. "Well, If you don't mind, I'd like to go and see if I can find any of the ingredients for my potions that I've been missing."

Gabe Gabe Responsible_spider Responsible_spider explosiveKitten explosiveKitten Kiroshiven Kiroshiven Shame Shame ElenaIsCool ElenaIsCool

"I have to agree with Ava here."
Ava gave a curt nod, her wide eyes on Hati. It would be best if most people did agree with her. She hoped that the Rook understood that now as well.
"And finally, Ava, I want you to help Leiptr with the defense of the city. Reinforcements and defensive contraptions will aid us in the case of a raid."
She nodded again. She quite enjoyed working with the Thunderbird as she considered him to be one of the more competent of the Canaries. He was very smart, thorough, detail oriented, and though she would not admit it out loud, he was pleasant company to have around.
"Understood," she said simply, straightening up from her spot against the door frame. "Devi, Hati, if you will excuse me. Gallien, you know how to find me when we are ready to depart." She gave a respectful bow of her head to her companions and slipped out the door, already tying her hair back in her ribbon as she slid out of sight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Neither a fan of small enclosed spaces nor carriages any longer, Ava chose to walk alongside Gallien as the Canaries slowly made their way to their destination. Well, she meant to walk beside him, but her short legs caused her to fall behind the carriages only shortly after departure. For a little while, she really had tried to keep up, but as small as she was, that was a hard thing to do while maintaining dignity. So, she let herself stray from the group a little. She did not think anyone would particularly notice her absence, and she enjoyed having the moment to herself to think while also taking in the scenery.
For a while, she stopped in the middle of the trail, tied up her hair, and closed her eyes. The wind played with her skirt as her thoughts drifted.
A harsh rattling as the caravan wheel broke.
Horses unsettled and afraid.
Screams echoing across the night.
Sobbing.
Then, silence and she was the only one left.
Nothing but a memory.

A single tear trailed down her cheek, but she hastily wiped it away with her the frilled edge of her glove.
Gallien made sure to cover all attack routes while en route. He was trained to keep up, alert at all times, and he relished in the few occasions that his position allowed to do so. While he walked near the carriage, howeer, he noticed that it was something all too... familiar. The first thing he did was to look back at his friend. Ava was stopped in the middle of the road, her eyes closed, a tear escaping her stone-cold demeanor. He sighed, remembering all too well of that dreadful day. He patiently waited until they circled the carriages for their daily pause, after all, it would take a few days until they arrived in Giant's Pass.
Ava opened her eyes, swallowed all of her emotions, and went to catch up with the rest of the Canaries. Having put a great distance between them, she caught up to the carriages in the most dignified way she could, which absolutely did not involve 'her having to do short sprints to catch up with the entourage.'
She reached Gallien's side, keeping her eyes on the ground as she untied the ribbon from her hair and replaced it on the brooch at her side. She shook out her short blonde hair, took a deep breath, and turned her green eyes up to the tall man.
"Will we, uh," she faltered a little bit, but tried to discreetly clear her throat and keep going, "be traveling by carriage the whole way? If so, I'd like to offer my keen eyes to keep watch from the driver's seat should we travel for a great distance." She tucked her hair behind her ear, then added, "For extra security, of course."
When Ava reached them, Gallien had a broad smile, trying to warm the girl's heart after such memories. "I was going to ask you that, Ava. We need a spotter in the first carriage, and I know you have a keen eye. Mind helping us there?" He knew how to play with Ava's frustrations, without vexing the girl.
Ava smiled up to her friend, her rare, true and genuine smile. She knew what he was doing, but she really appreciated him letting her pretend.
The smile faded as quickly as it had come.
"If that would be of help, then it would be my pleasure," She told him with a nod. She gave his arm an affectionate squeeze as she passed him, whispering a low, "Thank you." She climbed up the first carriage with as much dignity she could muster and took her seat next to the driver.
When they finally arrived at Giant's Pass, she climbed down from her perch, her legs stiff and sore, but her heart a little lighter. She watched as Emily crawled out of the carriage and made her way towards town. She wondered if she would be denied entrance to the tavern. Briefly, she wondered if she herself would be barred from the tavern, before she shook her head and made her way to find Leiptr.

Gabe Gabe ElenaIsCool ElenaIsCool GrayMan GrayMan Responsible_spider Responsible_spider

Last edited:
Leiptr heard he would be working with Ava. He enjoyed being around all of his comrades, but Ava was always kind to him. She was quite resourceful and smart. They often had worked together since she was the inventor and he commissioned some of her designs for the bases. She was also beautiful, which didn't mean everything, but it made looking at her in meetings and their discussions alot easier and delightful. Leiptr after the briefing packed what he needed for the trip. well what he thought he needed. He often filled his bag with the nessacary clothes to go under his plate mail. After that he'd begin to fill his bag with food and snacks. He liked to eat alot, and he never had a problem sharing so he made sure he could share if people wanted some. He brought some dried spiced meat, bread, and some new sweets that one of the kids gave him for helping her get her kitten off of the high wall. Walking to the carriages he out his bag inside looking in he saw a few Canaries inside, but also saw Gallien walking in front of the carriage walking. He didn't really want to sit inside since he couldn't stretch his arms and legs out, but if being honest he didn't want to walk either. He thought for a second being grinning wide. Jumping on top of the carriage' s top he sat there. This is were he is going to ride. This way he could see over head every thing and would notice if some thing was off in the distance.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

When they got to Giant's pass, Leiptr hopped off the carriage top stretching his limbs out like a cat would do yawning. Giant's pass was alot busier then he remembered, he was tilting his head at all the people and the slight dirty looks they got from some. Looking at the city he got ready to move alot of wood and metal sheets to put up reinforced walls. He also looked at Ava stretching his arms and cracking his knuckles. "You ready to put up some of those neat contraptions that I see on blueprints?" He asked her in a playful tone. He was always energetic and ready to go. He like to treat working like he was playing . He often enjoyed it and those that worked with him found it either funny and entertaining or annoying.

Kiroshiven Kiroshiven , explosiveKitten explosiveKitten , Shame Shame , RizaTiz RizaTiz , GrayMan GrayMan , Gabe Gabe , ElenaIsCool ElenaIsCool

Last edited:
Hati nodded to the other Canaries in the room, stepping out soon after, slightly annoyed by the others lack of experimental spirit. Sure, the spell was still considered to be the least safe for use at the moment, but there was always the, ‘What if?’ moment for Hati. And it always ate at him. What it they used his new spell and things went flawlessly? What if they all died gruesome, horrible deaths due to their bodies not being able to handle it? This thought brought Hati to a grinding halt.

“Maybe it would be better if I worked out the kinks first...” Hati muttered to himself, standing outside of The Ravens Loft. He ran his hand through his dark hair, his ears picking up on the sound of...shuffling paper. Hati turned his head to look over his shoulder and to no surprise of his own, Hati’s very own grimoire had opened itself. This was a very rare occurrence, since it usually never opened in The Pickaxe unless Hati initiated contact.

“Ah, you. It’s been a long time since you’ve contacted me.” Hati and the grimoire both remained still and silent. This was beginning to become somewhat awkward for Hati. “Okay look, I’m not studying at the moment. I need to prepare for the next mission. As you know, you’re something that I rely heavily on nowadays. I’d appreciate-“

You need to cast hex’s on the outside of your magic circles.” The grimoire spoke out only a single sentence before closing itself and returning back to the sling wrapped around The Rook. He only scoffed and stepped into The Ravens Loft, making his way to his office.

“I guess any repellent hex could do...it’ll keep any weak minded people or animals away at the least...” Hati shook his head in disbelief. It was always the little things that he seemed to skip over. The fact that his grimoire wasn't much help until after his initial presentation didn’t help Hati’s mood either.

Before entering his office, Hati noticed his disciples from earlier, the same ones he tasked with cleaning his office, leaving from his office, hats and hoods removed, robe sleeves rolled up, seeming almost as frustrated as the Canary who stood just meters from them. Hati decided to let them walk in the other direction without greeting them. Not only was his frustration with the grimoire on his mind, but he was also thinking of what books he should take with him on the trip. Hati stepped into the office his disciples just finished cleaning and organizing, his most recent frustration just fading away as he took in his newly cleaned office.

“I suppose I’ll have to give them access to some new spells they’d enjoy.” He smiled to himself, very pleased with the new look of his office. He began looking around on the shelves for reading material that may help in his mission to identify the green entities reported to them. He grabbed a pre-packed knapsack that he would restock after his return from a mission, as not to waste anytime with packing. If there was something he’d need specifically, he’d pack it before he left for the next mission.

Later

Hati jerked awake while sitting in the carriage on the way to Giant’s Pass. He looked down to his open hand in his own lap. He grunted to himself, leaning forward and looking down at his feet, spotting an upside down book.

“Master Torlig’s Path to Understanding Alteration Magic. Hmph.” Hati’s patience was running thin at this point. He was hoping he could have part of the problem solved before even arriving. Hati picked the book back up, taking mental note of the page he was on, then closing it, placing it back in his knapsack. He’d become increasingly frustrated with researching at this point.

The Rook poked his head out of the carriage to see that Giant’s Pass was nearby. After arriving and listening to The Eagle give the rest of them their options, Hati gave their surroundings a quick glance, not studying too hard. Just looking for things out of the ordinary. Nothing more than a lot of disgruntled merchants it seemed.

“I’ll make my way to the tavern then. I’ll begin meditating and building my mana pool for when we set out.” Hati stood, waiting to see what the rest of the group would be doing.

Gabe Gabe , Responsible_spider Responsible_spider , Kiroshiven Kiroshiven , ElenaIsCool ElenaIsCool , Shame Shame , explosiveKitten explosiveKitten , RizaTiz RizaTiz ,

Almost on cue, a cloaked figure leapt off a nearby rooftop, the brown leather cloak flapping in the wind that whipped off the rocks. It whipped off the rock, through the sparse leaves, and over the dried packed earth.

A blue, triangular snout stuck out from the shadow of the hood. Tilly looked at everyone, tongue lolling out of her mouth and panting like a dog. She looks tired, poor thing.

Heather quickly made her way over to the carriage, keeping her hood up as she did. “Well, I can tell you with confidence that this place is definitely mountainous. Rocky, sparse shrubs, crags and holes in the rock. Plenty of places to hide, tunnels to run through... perfect for ambushes.”
Tilly looked up at Gallien and mentally transmitted a couple images of the things they saw to his mind before she flopped her head against her master’s chest.

She sighed, reaching up and scratching Tilly’s chin idly, “I could spend hours, maybe even days, scouting all the different nooks and crannies in this place, there are hundreds of places for bandits to hide.”
She grumbled in frustration as she’s continued, “And those green light entities, don’t even get me started on those things. I saw a couple of them, mostly at night, but when I tried to get closer for a better look, they would vanish. Like they were taunting me by staying just out of reach. What’s the next move, Boss?”

Gabe Gabe Responsible_spider Responsible_spider Kiroshiven Kiroshiven ElenaIsCool ElenaIsCool Shame Shame RizaTiz RizaTiz

Last edited:
Xavier Falestine
Normally, during a trip someone would not try to meticulously rebuild something that required precision, but Xavier was anything but normal. With the help of his shadow, Xavier was managing to finish up his project for Emily. He was currently sitting in the carriage with the vial, nearly finished, being held by the shadow in mid-air. "Just a few more shard pieces and it will be done." He smiled to himself as he slid yet another shard into its place. His eyes turned towards the outside of the carriage as they pulled into the city. Xavier pulled out a small tool and began to fuse the glass shard into its position. "It won't be pretty, but it will be whole." Xavier pulled out a small box and set the vial into it's padded interior before stepping out into the crowd.

"I'm going to make a quick trip to a friend of mine here in town. See if he as any rare finds." With that Xavier started to wander off into the back alleys of the city. Unsurprisingly Xavier found his way to a hidden "oddities" shop and walked inside. "Felix, I need information or tools." Xavier's voiced echoed before an elderly man popped up from behind the counter. The man simply handed over a box. As soon as Xavier opened it, however, he turned his eyes toward Felix. "May I?" Felix nodded as Xavier took off his glove and placed his hand onto the oddly spiked chain that lay there. The world began to fade as Xavier witnessed the chain being wielded. It sapped the wielder of some of its strength via blood, but in turn acted very similarly to shadow. It struck out, moved, and fought whatever the wielder focused on. However, that wasn't what caught Xavier's attention. What did was the last wielder being overrun by green entities and bandits. Their movements were quick enough to be annoying in close range and made the chain nearly pointless. And it didn't take long for the person to be swarmed, ripped asunder and be left lifeless.

As he came to from his vision, Xavier looked to Felix. "I'm guessing you didn't exactly borrow this a very clean way, but it's fine." Xavier dropped a small bag of coins onto the man's desk. "Keep the chain, and as usual, if you find anything similar to this gem in my chest, send a messenger to me immediately. I NEED to know more about my curse." When Xavier stepped out into the alley he noticed that a bit of time had passed. "Need to get to the inn." He muttered before wandering quickly over hoping that nothing exciting had happened while he was away. The shadow seemed to be excited as it swirled about at Xavier's feet, as if anticipating the upcoming battle.

Wearing a slightly roughed up merchant outfit, Devi quietly blended into the crowd from behind and made her way towards the carriage, with her hat covering her eyes. One of the rules of being a spy: Never let the target know you're associated with your employer. Be discreet, that was exactly what she was doing. Once she made it to the side Gallien was, she began to speak.

"I was right. There were many bandits, as if it was merchant season or something. Most of them were your average, everyday bandits. But one of them got my attention. These are a different bunch than the ones I'm familiar with. They are organized, too organized. They seem to have a backup plan for whenever they're captured or anything. They got away with the 'cargo' I had. Quite a feat. Almost took me by surprise." The raven ran her fingers over Kanina's feathers as her eye narrowed.

"I agree with Heather. Those entities were something else. I couldn't keep up with them. They even kept me running around in circles until I almost got ambushed. I was convinced it's some sort of illusion made by the bandits, but now I'm not so sure. Those were amateur bandits.." Devi tapped her eyepatch and was silent. She had hoped to see Kaneez or Whina with one of those bandits, but she got nothing. She hadn't seen her friends since she got captured two years ago. The ex bandit shook her head. Focus on the job, have nostalgic thoughts later.

"What's next? Wild goose chase?"

((Btw guys, sorry for posting so late! My phone broke and I can't Discord anymore ;-;

Last edited:
Gallien pondered Heather and Devi's reports. It was strange, the appearance of the so called "green entities" and the increase of the occurrences of bandit activity in the area. Were the two things connected? Gallien was getting restless, especially when fighting something that he doesn't know. He sighed deeply, looking around. The people were worried as well, the merchants reluctantly setting up shop in the square to make up for the loss of time. Luckily, they weren't hostile to the presence of the Miners in the area, rather, they were somewhat relieved, albeit a bit frustrated. Gallien nodded to those who met his gaze, but quickly returned to his group. "We need to clear out the roads first. Securing the path is the most important so the trade routes aren't affected, especially with products that can spoil. My idea is to have a decoy caravan, call out the bandits and let them lure us to their place. I believe this will be the best course of action for now. Then we'll deal with the green entities. I want to leave tomorrow, so if you have anything else to do on the city, you're free to do so." He said, thinking of the next steps. "Devi, you have any contacts that can give us an advantage? Or maybe even support? I don't want to take unnecessary risks." He turned to Ava and Leiptr. "The walls here are shoddy, and I'm pretty sure that the bandits are growing bolder. It won't take long for them to try and raid the city, and I wanna be prepared. The rest of you, do the best to prepare for an ambush tomorrow. I'm sure that they'll try to attack us."

Hati nodded to everyone’s response, taking note of their locations. Before leaving the group, he dug around in his pre-packed knapsack, pulling a small coin purse from it. He stood and opened it, revealing small teal stone-like objects that gave off a blue hue, instead of any form of currency. He handed everyone in the group one of these stones speaking while handing them out.

“These ‘stones’ aren’t stones. They’re captured rays of light. They shine very brightly when broken, since the light that is being released from such a small point, it creates a bright flash for a few seconds. They’re made by an Alteration spell that changes the form of light. If you get ambushed by a group too big for your liking, these could very well be your saving grace. Just apply pressure until it snaps and make sure your eyes are closed. If you don’t you could go blind. Permanently. Stay safe.” Hati turned and walked to the tavern The Eagle mentioned.

Hati opened the main entrance of the tavern, greeted by a crackling fireplace, set in the of the tavern. It was almost like a furnace, with doors to open so fire wood could be placed in it. The fitted grates allowed for heat to be released, and of course a chimney lead its way through the roof. Loud patrons and the smell of ale were all he could focus on. He couldn’t remember the last time he had a drink that wasn’t a potion or water.

“Just one. Then I’ll go get settled.” He muttered to himself, walking to the bar. A tall, heavy set man stood behind the counter, giving Hati his attention. “I’d like some ale, friend. Just a pint.” The bartender swiftly made Hati’s drink, placing it in front of him. As Hati grabbed the drink, the bartender grabbed at it as well, eyeing Hati intensely.

“You’re one of them Miners ain’t you?” He didn’t speak too loudly, just enough for some other patrons nearby to hear. The loud and joyful conversations soon became frustrated whispers. Hati only smiled and nodded at the bartender, pulling his drink away and taking a sip from it. He felt a tap on his shoulder. As Hati turned, he was met by three men. All of them seemed to be working men. Farmers who would take their own crops out to sell to the people. They didn’t seem too happy to see Hati.

“How can I-“ Hati’s grimoire fluttered open. None of the men had made any advance on The Rook. He looked to his left, seeing no one standing there, and quickly darted over, knocking over a few stools in the process, bringing the tavern to complete silence. Hati looked back to the counter, a man slumped across it. The man slid off the counter, barley able to stand. He was drunk. And by the look of things very angry.

“How can you help?” The man barked at Hati, his white face turning into a deep red. “You can help by getting the hell out of here!” Hati could only look confused. He hadn’t done anything, to his knowledge.

“I’m sure this is a misunderstanding sir. My name is Hati Harulf, I’m with the Canaries. I’m here to help.” Hati’s response caused more of the patrons to stand and surround him. It wasn’t looking good for him. The drunk began walking towards him, his hands balled into tight fists.

“So far, no ‘help’ has been administered. All of my goods have been stolen or destroyed. How do you intend to fix that?” He raised his fists. Hati looked around the room to see everyone closing in on him. He wasn’t interested in a fight. He wanted to help these people.

“I have to ask you to calm down. I’m not your enemy here.” The man was hearing none of it. He charged Hati, screaming as loudly as he could. As he swung, Hati backed away and pushed him back, causing the man to fall over. His initial attack caused most of this angry group to start yelling and enclosing Hati. He was completely surrounded. “I do not want to fight any of you. I can promise none of you would like to fight me. This is your only chance to desist.” Hati’s grimoire floated in front of him, completely closed, the front cover facing the crowd in front of him.

“How about you get the hell out of here and handle the bandit problem!” “How is drinking any help to us!” “You lazy bastard!” The grimoire began opening and closing, facing a different direction each time. The patrons were now throwing things at Hati. Empty cups, full cups, chairs, anything they could get their hands on. This was the line they finally crossed. After being struck in the back by a chair, Hati fell to his knees and snapped. The air was filled by a rage induced scream. The flames from the candles, lanterns, and fireplace began burning violently and intently, causing all of the angry people in the tavern to stop in their tracks. Hati stood, lifting his hand. The flames were all quickly morphed together and sat in one concentrated ball of flame. The heat was unparalleled to anything Hati himself had felt before. He wasn’t even quite sure how much fire he was controlling and he very quickly noticed it was a bit much for crowd control. He slowly and methodically created a long stream-like flow of fire, sending it all into the “furnace” and shooting the flames up through the chimney. One the actual hazard was handled, Hati just looked around the room. Everyone now seemed scared or confused. He didn’t care much for diffusing the situation anymore. He now just had a point to make.

“What you just saw is what these trouble makers are up against. That and six others, who are just as strong, if not stronger than, as I am. This issue will be resolved. Your lives will continue as normal, but it all takes time. I suggest you all spread what you saw here today around town. If anyone else causes trouble for us like you just have, it may not end as well as it did just now.” With that, Hati stormed off outside to rejoin the group, his grimoire following closely behind.

"You ready to put up some of those neat contraptions that I see on blueprints?"
Ava looked up to the man with her wide eyes. Though her face seemed as indecipherable as stone, on the inside she was almost giddy. It had been a while since she had her hands on such a big project. She could see it now. Reinforced stone walls with arrow loops, crossbow mounts, traps, complex gate mechanisms, ballistas, and places perfectly designed to have the defenders drop boiling water on the heads of the attackers.
She almost smiled. Almost.
Trying to cover up her feelings, she gave the Thunderbird a curt nod and moved to the luggage of the first caravan.
As she opened her personal trunk, she took a deep breath and cleared away the strong emotion. Even positive emotions had consequences. Mind over heart.
Finding what she was looking for, she closed her trunk and slipped the work apron she had retreived over her dress. She removed her red ribbon from the brooch at her side and tied up her short blonde hair to keep it out of her face while she worked. Then, tugging off her less than practical frilled gloves, she replaced them with a pair of red blacksmith gloves that had her name embroidered on them in gold thread. Rumor had it they were a gift from Gallien.
She returned to Leiptr's side to let him know she was ready to work when Gallien began to speak.
"The walls here are shoddy, and I'm pretty sure that the bandits are growing bolder. It won't take long for them to try and raid the city, and I wanna be prepared. The rest of you, do the best to prepare for an ambush tomorrow. I'm sure that they'll try to attack us."
His confirmation of her and the Thunderbird's work got her excited again, but she quickly pushed the feelings back down as she gave him a quick nod.
"Yes, sir." Her eyes returned to Leiptr. "I'm ready whenever you are."
Ava flicked her wrist and a hammer appeared in her hands from seemingly no where.
"Show me what you've got."

Gabe Gabe ElenaIsCool ElenaIsCool GrayMan GrayMan Responsible_spider Responsible_spider RizaTiz RizaTiz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back