• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Hunter’s Inn || Monster Hunting RP [OPEN]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Darin received some curious looks and unashamed stares as he made his way into the guild hall. Not that most of the hunters here were unwelcoming, they were just nosey and some may have been drinking since breakfast.

Manning the bar was a surly looking dwarf with red hair and a braided beard. Despite his expression he greeted Darin with a nod and got to work pouring the man some water.

“What brings you ‘ere, stranger?” He asked as he dumped the overfilled tankard down on the countertop for Darin. “You lookin’ ter join the guild?”

It was almost comical to him that Beryl was rushing him towards the main portion of the hall, he feeling she was just the slightest bit too eager in tossing him to the wolves. He didn't mind it in the slightest, not that was he the most social of creatures, but she seemed almost pressed for guild members. "Is there a less than desired number of hunters working under you?" He cast a glance back at the woman before changing his stride to walk just a step behind her, seeing as he was now one of those seemingly few in her service. Perhaps it was his timing in being released from her supervision, but it felt fairly quiet. From what he understood, this place should be bustling with members. Perhaps they keep dying left and right- Ah yes, not social nor optimistic.

"Are you wishing of me to jump into a cluster of hunters and join them, or do you have a particular task in mind?" While Mirrah was smart, he did struggle with freewill, as this had been the closest he's ever been given such. If given a task, he would complete it to the best of his abilities, but he certainly didn't operate on initiative.

Lost Echo Lost Echo
"Right. Do that, I'll be here, scouting for some others to join us." Morgana waved as Meh started off. She had tried not to be too obvious looking at Meg's ears a few seconds earlier, but as soon as the elf's back was turned, Morgana sketched the ears in her tattered notebook. She jotted down a few notes by the drawing and looked up at the ceiling.

Genii Genii Voider Voider TheCrowKing TheCrowKing
Morgana watched the others coming in curiously. Maybe they'd be interested in her job, she would watch and wait to see how things unfolded from there.
The zombie-esque mad alchemist sipped some tea and observed. Her long black hair had fallen to obscure the red Gorgon eye, only showing her normal green eye. Her lips were spread apart to reveal her teeth in a mad grin--which was her normal 'observation' face.

Darin Nord

As he patiently waited for the dwarf to get him water, he noticed that some of the people around the room were looking at him. While he didn't appreciate being stared at, he did understand that he was a new face around here. Hearing the bartender approaching, Darin looked up & slightly recoiled as the dwarf shoved a very filled tankard of water right in front of him.

Quickly recovering from the moment of surprise, he formulated an answer. "I was considering it, yes. I was curious as to exactly what kind of work this guild has to offer?" While he was pretty sure it was most likely related to hunting -as the name of the inn implied- , it wouldn't hurt to get some more information before committing to something possibly dangerous. "Also, if I do decide to join, how would I do so?" he asked before taking a long gulp of water.

Interactions: The Bartender Genii Genii

Last edited:
Meg gave a nod to the newcomer, then scampered off. Once she reached the stairs to the infirmary, she sat upon one to allow herself to breathe. Morgana wasn't going to hurt her. Even Hannah liked her. Surely if a blessed did then it'd be okay. She could do this. She'd likely be able to find a large stick to begin to whittle into another staff even. She might even make enough for armor. Standing once more, she hurried down the stairs with a loud series of thumps before appearing inside the medical hall. Bowing to Hannah immediately, she said, "Thank you. I think I understand what you'd like for me to get." Holding the books in front of her, she turned to the library wall, attempting to remember what went where.

Beryl
Guildhall

“Aye.” Beryl grumbled in response to Mirrah’s first question. “It seems like our numbers dwindle as the monsters’ increase tenfold.”

“You there… Rookie!” The half-orc called to Morgana, a little unsure of the her name. To be fair to the guild master, she did have a lot of names to remember. “Do me a favour would you. Give Mirrah here (she gestured to the Warforged stood beside her) something to do.”

Beryl would have paired Mirrah up with a veteran, but most of them were out hunting.

nathanKmcwilliams nathanKmcwilliams TheCrowKing TheCrowKing

______

Barry
Guildhall

“… those big skulls on the wall didn’t give yer a clue?” Barry deadpanned, nodding to the many gargantuan hunting trophies on the wall. One looked like it could have been a dragon, and another a giant troll with only one eye socket.

“Monster ‘unting. I can sign yer up right now if you’ve nothin’ better ter do.” The dwarf continued. He was trying his best, but he wasn’t the exactly the best at promotion. “You get paid in gold… food n’ drink… a bed. We’ve got a bathhouse too.”

Voider Voider
______

Hannah
Infirmary

“Wonderful!” Hannah said as she joined Meg by the library shelves. She held her hands out for the books. “I’ll find a home for those.”

Lost Echo Lost Echo

Last edited:
Darin Nord

At the mention of skulls, Darin simply replied with "Ah...". While he did notice them, it never hurt to double-check & be absolutely sure; even if it made him look a bit like an idiot. Taking another gulp of water, he listened to the dwarf continue.

His attention refocused when the bartender said he could sign him up, right here, right now. At the mention of not just getting paid with gold, but food, drinks, a bed, & even a bathhouse, Darin's brain immediately began working. The pay of taking this job would be more than any other job he's done so far; he wouldn't even have to worry about renting a place to sleep & buying food, since the guild provided that anyway! Of course, there's a reason why the the benefits would be so good. It'd be dangerous, putting your life on the line to hunt monsters. Although, while working for this guild would definitely be hazardous, he would also have a choice on which quests he took. So, as long as he avoided taking any of the really dangerous quests, hopefully he'd be somewhat safe.

After thinking for about a minute, he looked to the dwarf with a slight smile. "I think I'll sign up."

Interactions: Barry ( Genii Genii )

Genii Genii TheCrowKing TheCrowKing
Guildhall
Morgana blinked, pointing to herself at Beryl's call. She noticed the Warforged and her eyes went wider than normal. What an incredibly interesting being.
"Yes! Ah...I do have a job on the board if you're interested. I'm paying 50 gold up front, 50 gold at the end. It's an ecological survey of the forest outside of town to catalogue magical creatures and plants."

Meg handed the books over with another bow. She wanted to comment on Morgana. Or perhaps that she'd prefer a warning next time. But she did not want to upset the Blessed. So only a "thank you" came out. Commenting, "I should get going," she turned and hurried up the stairs once more. Taking a moment to strengthen herself at the top, she swallowed down her fears and opened the door to the proper bar. Her eyes immediately searched for the zombie-esque woman that would be her employer, widening at the faceless being she was speaking to. Instead, she skirted to the other side of the bar where the human sat speaking to Barry. She gave the dwarf a nod, not wanting to interrupt, for all that she wondered if alcohol would actually help her cope.

Genii Genii (Hannah--infirmary)
Near: Voider Voider (Darin-bar)

CODE BY SEROBLISS
Cinder Radcliff
'Kitsune of the North' - Fire Mage
The doors of the Guild swung open as an unfamiliar man entered the guild hall, the crimson coat he wore seeming to flow behind him as he slowly walked in and bore witness to the daily chatter. Comrades discussing strategy, regulars eating and drinking their fill, laughter borne from comedy or lack thereof; his lips curving into a subtle smile purely to hide his discomfort. Crowds were never anything more than a loud inconvenience, and if he wasn't here on business he'd happily haul his ass somewhere less rowdy. His presence seemed to grow more important as whispers wandered the hall and eyes gradually turned to look at him, though from what little he could hear scarcely any of it bore caution or ill-will. He was grateful that the word of mouth on the streets of Colby singing praises about him reached the ears of these hardened guild members, though he'd be lying if he never called the praise a little exaggerated at times.

His eyes were one feature that were hard to ignore, as they seemed to radiate flames outward from the pupils as his gilded-copper eyes looked around the room. The long hair roughly combed to his left and back was as dark of a brown as freshly ground coffee beans, with the style it took being unlike any fashionable hairstyles available currently. Beneath his attire resided muscles that were years in the making, the most prominent of them being faintly visible beneath his coat and dress shirt through skin-tight patches of fabric. Those paying close attention would also notice the sway of something beneath his coat at belt level, as the twelve catalysts he uses to cast his magic through swung side to side inside their holsters as he walked. Approaching the bar counter he slid between the stools and looked at the cook with a serious gaze, setting the palms of his hands flat on the counter before parting his lips to speak.
"Greetings, would your guild master happen to be present today?" Cinder inquired rather loudly, sensing various gazes fall upon his shoulders. "I've heard word that the guild is hiring talent, so I'm here to discuss business with them and inquire more about the details."

Meg turned automatically to the sound of the door swinging open, curiosity and wariness forcing her. At first, she relaxed at the human shape, but his eyes. Everything else about him was, well, quite handsome, but she couldn't look away from his eyes. Was it a trick of the light? It was like he had flames in his soul. She flinched at the unexpected volume of his question. Well, that answered whether he was known to the others and just...strange. He was new. Meg did not know where Beryl was, so she stayed quiet, turning back toward the bar.

Brett and Javier​

On that momentous day, the weather was perfect. Just right, not humid. Simply slightly warm with a gentle breeze. The sound of seagulls chattering pervaded the area around the docks. The traveler, Lucas Foster, had just disembarked his vessel for a three day stay while his ship, the Solar Horizon, was restocked and underwent minor repairs before returning across the sea.

So, this is the place. Orinoco in the nation of Mirabeau. No monarch? Can you believe it? They have a person called a Chancellor that is chosen by the people, indirectly from my understanding. They venerate something called the Hand of J. Just the letter J. Either the rest of the name is lost to time, or they consider the rest of the name taboo. He saw a red banner with an open hand of lime-green with thumb facing right. The imprint suggested a left hand. Was it the hand of a being that smites or one that gives a benediction? The Mirabeans [pronounced as Mira-bow-ans] believe both: J is both just and vengeful.

He passed by a Dreeman vessel. Almost all minotaurs. Grandfather used to tell me stories that Dreema was hardly known as a naval country until a whole bunch of them migrated there. I think a few minotaur families have migrated from Dreema here to Mirabeau, just living on the coast though.

He passed by another part of the harbor. It was clear to his seaworthy eyes, that these dozen vessels all were kin. Who owns this fleet? “McPherson Enterprises”, an old salt answered “Orinoco wouldn’t be worth much without them. Big Boss’s son? He runs this town.” The old salt returned to his mending of nets and pretended that Foster had moved on which he soon did.

Foster walked down to find a place to stay. There were several options, but being a stranger, he was unsure which to choose so he picked the one closest to him. He looked at the carved sign which shows a great sea creature at rest beneath the waves “Slumbering Kraken?” He studied the structure and knew he might find food and lodging here. He opened the door and the first being he encountered was a human but not a human. What are my eyes looking at?

It was a male wearing a shirt and shorts under an apron. Swaying from the seat of his shorts was a graceful tail. He was cleaning tables. The youth’s legs were suggested feline. No shoes. Some type of shapeshifter? The forearms were also feline as well as part of the head and face. His cat ears rested in hair of light brown. Otherwise, the rest was human. The young man looked up, “May I help you sir?” Foster stated, “I seek lodging and food.” The male said, “You would ask my father.” Cupping mouth, “Papa!”

From a room in the back, came a portly man. He had medium brown hair and a bushy brown beard but greying moustache which was long and drooped over the beard which suggested a walrus-like appearance. “Thank ye, Tobi.” I am Alabaster Cobb. I’m Captain here.” Foster had been around the seas long enough to tell that the man had been around the seas enough to earn the right to be called that, “Sail much?” Cobb said, “Nay. Not as much as I used to. I thought I’d give land a go so I could raise a family. Plus our Tobi here. Brought him home from an orphanage for Ailuran boys.” He pointed to the painting behind him. It was of a beautiful craft, “Crystal Eye of which I was master. Now under the command of my first mate. I come aboard every now and then when they’re in port. Looking for food and lodging eh?” Foster nodded and Cobb replied, “Have a seat friend, anywhere you’d like, and we’ll get your meal right out. Here’s your key. Room 8.” Cobb took down a key stung on a chain necklace and gave it to Foster who sat down.

Foster took in the air and the sight of the common room. The sight and the smell of the establishment, he knew he had chosen well. Sailors would feel at home here, not out of place. The door opened and he saw two young men who did look out of place. One was blond and of broad shoulders. Physically, he seemed suitable to serve to be a capable hand. However, his clothing and mannerisms suggested a mage. The other young man was an Ailuran like Tobi. This one was fit but shorter and had narrower shoulders. Maybe a dancer or acrobat?

Tobi looked up and it appeared he knew the two though, that as out of place as they appeared, they were well known here. The blond waved, “Yo Tobi. How’s it hanging?” Tobi said, “Going good, quiet though. We got this new drink in that we’d like you two to try. Usual booth?” The two nodded and sat down. Foster observed them discreetly. The two appeared to be friends, but they might be more based on how they spoke with each other. I’m not one to judge. Not my place. He began having his meal and a mug of ale.

“Mom told me that tonight’s performance is sold out. I don’t know how I’ll make it through it. The ghost of a jester?” The blond man shivered with disgusted uneasiness. “You? What’re your plans tonight?” The Ailuran said, “Me and the guys have a job up at the old Ashland house. Looking forward to nice fat mice to catch. Ten estrellas a body.” The blond man said, “I wish I could go with you, but I’m a monoform and then there’s the play.” The feline youth said, “Mousing is an awesome gig and all, but it’d be a great chance of pace to hunt other things.” The blond man nodded, “Yea, something to shock and awe.” The blond man held his index fingers up and a ribbon of crackling energy appeared from one fingertip and joined the other. Tobi appeared and brought their food and the promised new drink. The two looked at it. It appeared dark like a stout, but it was bubbly and foamy. The blond man looked at it and took a sip, “What’s it is?” The feline man took a sip afterwards. Tobi replied, “The seller called it root beer. It’s non-alcoholic.” The blond man took another sip, longer. “Intriguing. Would be another alternative to beer. As much as I like orange juice, I get tired of it after awhile.” They asked more of this strange brew which was poured into proper mugs.

Intriguing indeed. Foster considered keeping to himself, but the two young men seemed sincere. He stood up and approached them, “You two looking for a chance of pace?” The two looked at each other and the blond man smiled, “Welcome. I’m Brett and this is my partner, Javier. Yea. We’ve been talking about other opportunities."

Foster spoke with them about the City of Colby and The Hunter’s Inn. It did not matter who a person was. Commitment to the mission was what mattered. The proprietress was a half-orc looking for solid hands of various backgrounds to join their guild to help with tasks of various kinds. It did sound like a fascinating proposal. “Could we think about it?” Foster said, “I leave in three days.” He told them of his departure time and what his vessel looked like.

***Now***​
Interaction: Meg ( Lost Echo Lost Echo ), Cinder ( II-CinderRadcliff-II II-CinderRadcliff-II )

The covered wagon ambled down the road. “You used to be one of them Dream Wanderers, right?” The man asked the passenger who had his hood down and appeared to be sleeping. No, not asleep. The blond man said, “Still am despite all that happened. The Lunar Pyramid got sucked into nothingness though. That’s what she got for trying to summon the demon prince Mateus. There’s a great big gaping crater there now. Chaos, death, destruction. We paid the price for our trust and few made it out. I was the last one out, barely. Took months to get her deranged chortle out of my head. Never would have made it if it hadn’t been for this carpet. I bent it to my will and now it’s mine by default.” He pointed at the rolled up black and purple rug resting on top of the backpack. The man asked, “You sure you’re fine walking the rest of the way there?” The hooded man said, “Yup. You said that your route is only near Colby. Just take us as close as you feel comfortable.”

A few hours later, the wagon came to a stop. Brett nudged the sleeping cat next to him, “Jav, we’re here.” The cat woke up and leaped onto the ground. Brett took out a money pouch and said when he gave money, “Here.” The driver looked, “You sure? This is more than what I would ask for for one passenger.” The mage said, “There’s Javier here. He’s the other passenger.” The man thought the young mage was crazy to think of it that way but graciously accepted the coins.

As he drove off, the man and his cat walked into the trees and he clearly heard two voices “Here’s your knit cap Javier.” Another male voice, "Thanks." This one was unfamiliar. He clearly saw two male silhouettes. One was the mage and the other seemed to wearing cat ears on his head. Where did the other one come from? Must be getting old.

The two young men entered the town. Here is Brett looking like the image of the young mage he wanted to project with his hoodie jacket with personal sigil stitched on the back and on the left breast. However, unlike other magic uses, he carried a sword. He carried the sabre that his father Chet called Stormwind. It was the relic of what might have been. Javier wore a simple tunic and shorts and shoes in addition to the grey knit cap pulled over his ears. There was a strap over his left shoulder and it was connected to his brown canvas messenger bag that rested against his waist. It contained a sewing kit. Surely they might need help in mending cloth.

Javier tried not to look at passersby so they wouldn’t look at his not quite human eyes. For all they knew he was human. He liked an Ailuran and knew that there were people back home accustomed to them, well the males anyhow. Female Ailurans kept to themselves, only reluctantly interacted with women of other beings. Never ever men of any kind. Here, he did not how know how others would react to him. Once upon a time back home in Mirabeau, people considered AIlurans to be kidnappers of babies or familiars aligned with witches or warlocks. Brett placed his arm around him, “Remember what Foster said? Madame Beryl accepts beings of all kinds as long as they are willing to put in the work and contribute the profitability of the guild. It’s not just about money though, it’s about reputation.” Javier kept his cap low enough so that it covered his ears completely. For now, he wanted the people to think he was as human as his partner. However, he kept reaching underneath the knit cap to scratch behind his cat ears. He had kept his natural zeal lowkey so far, but one could only hide his true self for so long. Having only his feline ears helped.

Brett studied the building, “This is the place.” Before he could open the door, Javier did it for him and pulled the mage inside. The Ailuran's knit cap stayed snug over his ears, but the other's hood slid back revealing his blond hair. Javier's eyes widened as he took in the sights and all the people inside. He was fidgety and was eager to speak with everyone. The mage spoke first. He turned to the woman and and the pyromancer standing near the door, "My partner and I are looking for Madame Beryl. Where might I find her?"

Last edited:
Meg was surprised when the two newcomers come near her and the men. Hearing the voice, she turned to face him with a smile. "I'm not sure." She confessed quietly, "I think she may be in her office," Meg pointed toward the obvious door, "But she may--" Cutting herself off with a gasp, she stared at the cat eyes in the second man's face. She'd looked into strays' eyes well enough, but what did it mean to be in a human--well, not human, but what was it then?

Last edited:
Barry
Guildhall

Barry gave Darin a nod and disappeared for a moment, returning shortly with a box full of scrolls (almost as large as himself). The dwarf used a stool on his side of the bar to reach the counter and dumped the box there. He proceeded to pull out a contract, quill and pot of red ink - which he pushed towards the newcomer.

“Sign at the bottom when yer ready.” Barry told Darin, tapping a calloused finger by the appropriate dotted line.

As Cinder greeted them and enquired after the guild master, Barry nodded over to Beryl who was stood by the guildhall noticeboard. “Over there, half-orc, can’t miss her.” He grumbled.

Voider Voider II-CinderRadcliff-II II-CinderRadcliff-II

Darin

Darin meticulously studied the contract, reading through every line & making sure he didn't sign up for anything he didn't want to. After a considerable amount of staring at it and silently thinking, he finally picked up the quill & dipped it into the ink. As Darin was bringing his quill back to the contract to sign, his thoughts were interrupted by someone loudly asking about the "guild master". After taking a brief glance at the odd looking man, he went back to sign his name on the contract.

His focus was again promptly interrupted when he heard the woman next to him at the bar suddenly gasp. While he did hear her talking to someone, it was previously ignored as he was too focused on analyzing the piece of paper. The sudden stop of conversation & exclamation caused him to look up, seeing the two men who she was talking to. While they seemed to be human in appearance, he noticed that one of them had eyes that were definitely not human. However, as that conversation was none of his business, he turned his head back to the contract after staring for a couple seconds.

Finally signing the contract with a precise "Darin Nord", he set the quill down with a deep sigh. With so many strange -and loud- people who seemed to be interested in the guild as well, & the contract effectively tying him to it for the foreseeable future, he wondered if he was going to regret this later down the line. "So, now that I'm working for the guild, I assume I just... take any job from the board over there and complete it? It is that simple, right?" He asked Barry; hopefully, he didn't miss some crucial bit of information.

Notices: Cinder, Meg, Brett, & Javier.

Last edited:
Brett and Javier​

Interaction: Darin ( Voider Voider ), Barry, Beryl ( Genii Genii ), Meg ( Lost Echo Lost Echo ), Cinder ( II-CinderRadcliff-II II-CinderRadcliff-II )

Javier began to fidget. His feet clad in slip-ons moved slightly side to side. This probably wouldn't draw much notice. What was more attention-stealing was that there was movement underneath his knit cap which was voluminous enough to give his ears plenty of room but small enough to not be cumbersome. It had to be functional after all and suitable to wear in all seasons and weather. Anyone nearby would readily see that something was going on under there. He looked at those nearby with curiosity as he absorbed the newness of it all. What would the people around him think? Is this newcomer a gorgon? Does he have antennae like an insect? Some other bizarre theory? Neither. His ears moved on their own accord as they picked up sounds and fed that information into his brain. Subconsciously, his fingers reached under the cap to scratch the lower part of his right ear. If his eyes weren't a giveaway already, the facts that he did not have ears where a human ought to have theirs and that there was black fur covering the back of what appeared to be the lower part of an ear would certainly prove that he was not quite human. His attention strayed over to the bar area where he saw a dwarf speaking with another recruit. He was quite eager to see what was going on over there.

Brett's eyes darted to his companion and held on to his shoulder, "Chillax dude." It seemed to work and Javier calmed down. He said, "My name is Brett McPherson and this is my partner Javier Hurtado. We've come here from overseas to join the guild and offer our skills both radical and conventional." He was hesitant to mention their skills or specify where they were from or share any details about their background. The mage's speech pattern was considered by many to be unusual, out of place. They ascribed it as another Lafayette family quirk. His Great Aunt Gladys, the last Lafayette to exhibit magical abilities, never spoke like that however. Certainly none of his family did.

Javier's head and his eyes zeroed at the dwarf again, specifically at the bundle of scrolls. He tugged on Brett's jacket and signaled what he saw by pointing in that direction with index and middle fingers. "Over there. I think?" He maneuvered through the crowd and approached the bar. He looked at the man and dwarf there, "Hi there. I'm Javier. I'm looking to join this team." He looked at the rolled scrolls. He took one and began reading. The females of his kind were said to regard reading and writing as unnatural, dead. He did not know because no one really knew since they kept to themselves and government officials preferred that they be left alone, only lightly and situationally bound to the nation's laws. As for the males who were absorbed into the human world, there was no law against teaching them. Mirabeau law dictated that they be taught alongside their human peers just the same. All must attend school until the age of 16 and which time they were to enter into an apprenticeship. He waved his hand to grab Brett's attention, "Over here. It's a contract."

Brett nodded slowly, "If you will excuse me." He had more difficulty getting through the crowd but he was eventually able to reach the bar. He looked at the dwarf, "My name's Brett. I, like Javier here, intend to join. If you ever need help at the bar, I would like to help. My mother's family owns and operates a winery."

The two men looked at the contact and understood the terms and accepted conditions. As for the resurrection clause, they both agreed to that because they weren't sure how many active members there currently were or if others would be joining. They signed with the red ink and made sure that the ink was dry before they desired to submit them. They then turned their attention to the half-orc known as Beryl. Javier had never seen an orc or even half-orc, but knew that Brett had once when he went with his father on one of his travels to one of their domains. Both McPherson men didn't mind the food or drink they served, but Brett seemed to enjoy the grub more and had asked for seconds. He also would like to think he made a friend or two with male orcs his age. Javier headed in her direction, "Let's introduce ourselves to her." Brett turned to the dwarf and the man, "Nice to meet you and look forward to speaking with you further."

They discreetly approached Beryl because she might be preoccupied. Javier removed his hat to reveal that although he had a human face, just one with slit pupil eyes and sharp cuspid teeth, the rest of his head resembled that of a house cat. The Ailuran believed it would have been rude to keep his hat on at such a moment of introduction. Besides, everyone would have seen my ears eventually. At least I'm not in cat form holding this scroll in my mouth. Brett spoke to her formally, "Madam Beryl? I, Brett, and my partner Javier wish to join your guild thus we have signed these contracts. We wanted to introduce ourselves and give these to you."

Last edited:
Barry (npc), Beryl (npc)

“Aye.” Barry said, taking Darin’s scroll and rolling it up to put in his box. “You’ll find the quest board over there - but you’ll need a partner, nobody quests alone.” He pointed out.

“There’s rooms upstairs when yer tired. Training yard and blacksmith out back, and if yer ‘ungry just let Colin in the kitchen know.” The Dwarf explained.

Barry was quiet throughout his entire interaction with Brett and Javier. They both seemed eager to join the guild, and did so without much handholding - which the notoriously grumpy dwarf was happy about.

“Aye.” He said as the two men left to go and speak with Beryl.

The half-orc looked the two rookies up and down before greeting them.

“Well welcome boys, we could certainly use the help.” She held a muscular arm out to take their paperwork. Despite her wizened face and greying braids, the guild master still looked capable of snapping a person in two, should they step out of line.

“You’ve some experience I hope?” Beryl said, continuing to assess the pair.

Darin

He waited as the dwarf explained some things; it made sense that quests couldn't be done alone, it'd be too dangerous. "I see, thank you very much." Darin said with a slight nod of his head.

As he was preparing the get up, the man with slit pupils -and missing ears?- approached him & the dwarf. He replied to the man's greeting "Ah, hello. My name's Darin, it's nice to meet you." Darin watched as the man's companion also approached, looking as they both grabbed & signed a contract without any prompting. At the normal man's parting words, Darin responded with a simple "You too...". He was a bit shocked at how seemingly quickly they walked up, signed up, & left. Did they not take the time to consider what they were getting themselves into like he had? Perhaps they already did, & were just in a hurry?

Putting those thoughts aside, Darin finished his tankard of water & got up from his chair. Now that he was signed up, he might was well look at what jobs were available. Walking over to the quest board, he studied each of them carefully. There's one about exploration past the wall, which he immediately disregarded due to the stories he'd heard back home in the northeast of the kingdom. A quest about clearing an estate, which he definitely didn't feel like doing. There's an extermination quest for some kind of lake beast, which he considers possibly doing. Finally there's one about exploring & surveying a nearby forest, which seems like the safest choice.

The "Cackling Woods Ecological Survey" quest was most likely the best one suited for his level of experience -or more accurately, complete lack thereof- , so he decided that would be his best choice. Now there's only one problem; how is he going to find this "Morgana"?

Last edited:
Brett and Javier​

Interaction: Beryl ( Genii Genii )

The two young men stood in front of Beryl. The presence she radiated took Brett back five years to when he was 18 years old. His father had taken him on his voyage to Ketteyos, an orc colony, as a belated birthday present since duties at the Lunar Pyramid had kept him away. The males his age there heard it was his birthday and held a private birthday bash for him. Bash being literal. They dressed up him like he was one of them and they partied until late into the night which included a scuffle. They sized him up and paired him with a male who Brett would be evenly matched against. He and his opponent tussled heartily as the teenaged spectators bellowed in jubilation. He and his opponent looked each other after the sparring concluded, chests heaving in exertion. The bruised human emitted a chuckle which turned infectious. Soon all were roaring in laughter. Good happy memories that he would always cherish. To answer her, he would have to venture into dark and unpleasant memories.

Of the 100 souls who were at the Lunar Pyramid on that fateful day, only ten would live to see another day. Brett McPherson was one of them. He was classified as a senior cadet at the time and it had afforded him certain rights, privileges and responsibilities. As a senior cadet, he earned the right to wear his jacket. He was able to get his own room at the Pyramid, a privilege. Heading out into the field with veteran mages on missions as an aide, a responsibility. What purpose did the Lunar Pyramid serve? Think of a military academy, but one designed for mages. Graduates were employed to carry out a variety of tasks, whatever the nation and its citizens needed: eliminating dark creatures, exorcise demons, combat dark sorcerers. Of those that survived, he held the most seniority. As a result, he was summoned to appear in front of a chancellery committee. He had to face Chancellor Franciscus West, a family friend, sitting on his dais as the committee seated in front of the chancellor questioned him. Shameful questions, shameful insinuations. If he was Pardtidha Faber's personal protégé, how come he was unaware that she was secretly aligned with the Cult of Mateus and was even one of their chief architects? How was is that the Mistress of the Animated Flame could be one of Mirabeau's greatest champions but also be one of their greatest threats? He felt his blood boiling and his face was red, but he kept his temper in check. It was rare for the son of Chet McPherson to get angry, but the questionings kept peppering away at him which nearly drove him over the edge. Just another 43 days and I would have graduated.

Before chancellor and committee, Brett provided a haunting recount. It was the night of the winter solstice and all had gone to bed. Disturbing whispers reached his slumbering ears. He jumped out of bed and hastily dressed. He followed the murmurs to the antechamber at the top of the pyramid. There was no sign of forced entry and only few had clearance to enter. He was one of those few, but he had always been accompanied by his mentor. Tonight, he was entering under his own volition. He recognized them as worshipers of Mateus with their blood red robes and waxen faces. They were unfamiliar to his eyes except one, the one who was presiding over the ceremony. To the committee, he described the Vocelka ritual in vivid detail. If it had been successful, it would have created a bridge to whatever hellworld Mateus was imprisoned in and grant him access to this realm. The sky above the Pyramid was already starting to crack. He tossed one of his patented boltballs with as much rage and strength he could muster. The ball cleaved the air with so much force, it was painful to hear. It was enough to screw over the rite and the Pyramid started to tear itself apart as it was being sucked into the void. He ran for his life, never looking back while his once-trusted mentor just kept laughing and laughing hysterically over missed opportunities. Ultimately, the committee cleared him. What saved him was that he tried to stop her from opening the gate and that more experienced mages had also been fooled.

Before Brett could reply, Javier spoke first. "Experience?" The Ailuran counted on his fingers, "I've been employed parttime in pest control for the past five years. Ailurans like me find good and steady work as exterminators. Voles, ferrets, rats, similar nuisances. Cat form for small critters, true form for larger stuff. I also have training in unarmed combat. When I'm not on the prowl, I have helped out at my family's tailor shop." He tapped on the pouch slung over his shoulder, "I can do common mending and sewing jobs like repairing torn tunics or bedsheets."

Brett was ready to provide his answer, "I am aware that I look like a fighter because I have this sabre. That would have been my destiny and do have some experience in swordsmanship. However, I am a mage by training. As a senior cadet at the Lunar Pyramid, an academy for those who have an inclination for sorcery, I have had two years field training in preparation for graduation. Some operations I've been on: help clear out the nest of a corpse spider which is a three feet wide arachnid whose bite cause causes zombification, assist in exorcising an entity that fed on the life energy of a town's citizens, and being part of an escort team transporting a minor enchanted artifact. Like my associate, I have additional skills I could employ here to help out the household if needed. I have told your bartender that I'm willing to help him dispense drinks and I can also help with financing. I do understand though that our primary purpose is to help with the missions," One of eyes fell upon the board and he understood its purpose, "posted on this bulletin board."

The two didn't know if Beryl only wanted a yes or a no, but they didn't want to take the chance that she might ask them to provide examples had they said yes. The two young men weren't exactly starting from zero, but the experiences they had were under controlled circumstances or overseen by mentors. After speaking with Beryl, they soon began to review the board and discuss which to embark upon. A couple postings had already grabbed their attention but they used differing methodology to decide which mission to embark upon. Javier was prone to making decisions based on what sounded more interesting while Brett was more likely to use logic.

Meg sighed as her human companions (plus the cat-eyed man) disappeared. So much for a distraction from her nerves. She waved Barry's offer of a drink off, knowing she lacked the coin for such a thing. Plus her tolerance made most ales the same as water. Speaking of which, she uncapped her waterskin, bringing it first to her lips for a drink. Returning it to her hip, she pulled out a small stream, cupping it in her palm as an orb and letting it swirl in place. Maybe she could practice what Balthazar had taught her? Carefully, she slowed the spinning water to a stop, knowing that moving water was more difficult to freeze. Then she began to focus on the sphere, trying to imitate it. Maybe pressure? Just compact it into a solid like a snowball? She did not know.

Darin

Darin considered how he'd find Morgana. He doesn't know what she looks like, so he couldn't go looking for her. Although, he could find someone who knows her, & ask where she is. Now, who would know alot of people in the guild? Perhaps this "Guild Master"; if they run the guild, then they're bound to know many of the people in it. Alright, so all he has to do is find the Guild Master. Who is the Guild Master? Darin doesn't know...

With a resigned sigh, he tries to think how to go about joining this quest. Maybe he should just leave some kind of note next to the quest, expressing his interest. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any paper or a pen. Unsure of what to do or who to ask, he silently stands near the quest board, looking around the Guild Hall. Taking a significant amount of time think, Darin decides that he'll just have to talk to the dwarf again & ask. The bartender looked like he might've been overworked, so hopefully he wouldn't be annoyed by Darin returning.

Walking back over to the bar, he politely called out to the bartender once again. "I apologize if my query is interrupting your work, however; would you happen to know where someone named "Morgana" is? If not, could you point me towards the Guild Master? I am unsure of how I'm intended to reach the people who wish to hire for their quests."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back