• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Hunter’s Inn || Monster Hunting RP [OPEN]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here

FAIN

the chameleon

Over an hour had passed since Fain had first entered the rowdy, lantern-lit Hall and tucked herself against a wall by the front door. It had been an interesting time observing the individuals that hid themselves away in crowds, especially in a place like a Hunters' Guild, where personalities were as varied as the colors of foliage during harvest season. The observance period was less about spying on strangers and more about ensuring her anonymity -- the city of Colby wasn't so far away from Arksall, after all, and she had to make sure that there weren't any disgruntled ex-targets lurking about the place. She'd been there long enough now, however, that she could be almost certain she wouldn't be recognized, and therefore a shift in appearance would not be necessary.

She hoisted herself away from the wall of the Hall and began to make her way through the crowd. She could tell that she was dehydrated, but from her previous observations, it seemed that some thirsty adventurers were served -- rather unhappily still -- by the bartender, while some were turned away and not served at all. It had to be a matter of exclusivity -- only those that belonged to the Guild could take advantage of the taps, yes?

She had followed the plan she'd devised to absolute perfection thus far and was not about to be deterred by a dry mouth. There could be no more work for her in Arksall after what happened with the local Thieves Guild there, so she'd have to find work outside the city.

That's where my employment here comes in.

She'd overheard a bard telling inquisitive adventurers where to find the Guild Master for questions about admittance as he shuffled the scrolls in front of him just moments before, so she headed over to the side of the Hall with the Quest Board and stood behind a small group of people that had gathered around an older, brutish sort of woman with an air of respect and an obvious gait of power. When the majority of the group had collected their quest postings and shuffled away, Fain took a step up towards Beryl and said,
"I don't suppose this austere Guild has room for another Hunter, aye?"

♡coded by uxie♡

Ivan makes his way out of the guild hall and looks around to see where Ramirez and Percival had gone off to. They left the hall a little earlier than him so he was a little lost.
"Did you see a tall man and a... less tall guy?" He would ask around to the people just outside the guild hall. Eventually Ivan was tipped off that someone saw them go to the stables and so Ivan went on his merry way.

Ivan

“Hey Kid.” Barry greeted Ruvu, in a slightly less prickly tone than usual. It seemed there were layers to the Dwarf’s grumpiness, which the Halfling must have chipped away at over time - of course, as soon as the ‘secret menu’ was mentioned…

“Ugh, not that again. Yer best be careful, Beryl’ll be orderin’ a Halflin’ ‘ead on a platter if she finds out.” He dryly joked… hopefully it was a joke.

“Why don’t yer take a break.” Barry suggested, if only so the kid wouldn’t pester him for a while. “Meet some o’ the new’uns.”

Barry the barman

seasonedcat seasonedcat

As Alienor and Ramirez officially met, Percival finally finished reattaching his scabbard. Dressing himself was another new skill he’d need to work on it seemed.

He spotted a lost looking Ivan and waved the man over.

((Just giving Gwenymoo Gwenymoo chance to catch up. 😊))

Percival

DualDragons DualDragons CalamityQueller CalamityQueller

Beryl huffed out a laugh through her nostrils as someone referred to her guild as ‘austere’.

There were hunters passed out drunk on the floor by now, and one of them had taken a monster skull off the wall and managed to get it stuck on their head. This place was far from strict.

“They’ll always be beds going (spare), considering half o’ this lot never actually make it into one.” The Half-orc responded to Fain, nudging one the floor-snoozing patrons with her foot before she turned around.

Beryl regarded the white haired woman for a long moment. Most of the time she could tell just by looking at someone if they could hack it as a Hunter. “D’you bring a weapon at least?”

Beryl the Guild Master

soulofeden soulofeden

“Hey Kid.” Barry greeted Ruvu, in a slightly less prickly tone than usual. It seemed there were layers to the Dwarf’s grumpiness, which the Halfling must have chipped away at over time - of course, as soon as the ‘secret menu’ was mentioned…

“Ugh, not that again. Yer best be careful, Beryl’ll be orderin’ a Halflin’ ‘ead on a platter if she finds out.” He dryly joked… hopefully it was a joke.

“Why don’t yer take a break.” Barry suggested, if only so the kid wouldn’t pester him for a while. “Meet some o’ the new’uns.”

Barry the barman

seasonedcat seasonedcat

As Alienor and Ramirez officially met, Percival finally finished reattaching his scabbard. Dressing himself was another new skill he’d need to work on it seemed.

He spotted a lost looking Ivan and waved the man over.

((Just giving Gwenymoo Gwenymoo chance to catch up. 😊))

Percival

DualDragons DualDragons CalamityQueller CalamityQueller

Beryl huffed out a laugh through her nostrils as someone referred to her guild as ‘austere’.

There were hunters passed out drunk on the floor by now, and one of them had taken a monster skull off the wall and managed to get it stuck on their head. This place was far from strict.

“They’ll always be beds going (spare), considering half o’ this lot never actually make it into one.” The Half-orc responded to Fain, nudging one the floor-snoozing patrons with her foot before she turned around.

Beryl regarded the white haired woman for a long moment. Most of the time she could tell just by looking at someone if they could hack it as a Hunter. “D’you bring a weapon at least?”

Beryl the Guild Master

soulofeden soulofeden

• mood

relaxed but anticipatory, very slightly anxious

FAIN

the chameleon

Just a handful of years ago, Fain's response to the question of her being armed would only result in a great show of shifting into the person she was speaking with and telling them something along the lines of "she was her own weapon" -- but not anymore. After adolescence had run its course and womanhood had taken over, she'd realized that such displays only made her seem arrogant and boastful, and also gave away any element of surprise that she'd still held. After all, why show anyone your best secret right off the bat?

Instead, Fain just shrugged and told the lady half-orc,
"I have a few concealed smaller weapons that work in a pinch, but I'd heard conversation about the blacksmith you have here and considered paying him a visit before any real adventure begins."
She gave a small, amused sort of smile, noting the unconscious patron on the floors of the Hall and the way Beryl spoke of the people here with a sort of reluctant fondness.
"Especially if the task involves slaying any particularly inhuman beasts."

It was then that she reached into the inner pockets that she'd sewn into her cloak and pulled out two gold coins. She held them out to Beryl and told her, in a nonchalant tone,
"I would certainly appreciate a bit of privacy in my room for the duration of my stay, and I'd be happy to pay the necessary price for a single bed, if you have any left, madam."
She was only intermediately skilled at the Orc language and had a limited vocabulary, but she knew enough to say "madam" in the appropriate fashion -- and then immediately wondered if a half-Orc would speak it as well. To her recollection, she wasn't sure she'd ever even met a half-orc before in Arksall.

♡coded by uxie♡

Beryl understood Orc well enough, she was surprised to hear it come from Fain though. “You speak Orc? I’ll have to watch my language.” She smiled slightly behind her protruding tusks.

The Guild Master didn’t unfold her arms to take Fain’s coin. She shook her head and said, “Keep it. Room n’ board is free here… for Hunters, but you need any weapons, armour, potions, or drink (alcohol) you’ll need coin.”

Fain would find a few single rooms upstairs, if that suited her needs, she’d only have to commandeer one after signing up.

“Did the Bard talk you through the contract?” Beryl asked, glancing the man’s way. Stan noticed and sent them a cheeky wink.

Beryl

soulofeden soulofeden

Last edited:
Beryl understood Orc well enough, she was surprised to hear it come from Fain though. “You speak Orc? I’ll have to watch my language.” She smiled slightly behind her protruding tusks.

The Guild Master didn’t unfold her arms to take Fain’s coin. She shook her head and said, “Keep it. Room n’ board is free here… for Hunters, but you need any weapons, armour, potions, or drink (alcohol) you’ll need coin.”

Fain would find a few single rooms upstairs, if that suited her needs, she’d only have to commandeer one after signing up.

“Did the Bard talk you through the contract?” Beryl asked, glancing the man’s way. Stan noticed and sent them a cheeky wink.

Beryl

soulofeden soulofeden

• mood

FAIN

the chameleon

Fain was pleased that the Orc word registered, even though she was sure that her accent was probably nasal at best. However, she felt a little uncomfortable with the rejection of her coin -- it wasn't the Guild Master that made her feel this way, but the word "free". In her experience, nothing was ever free, and it meant some sort of exchange later down the line.

Nevertheless, she returned the two gold coins to the inner pocket of her cloak. When the half-orc mentioned speaking to the bard, she shook her head.
"I haven't yet had the pleasure. I suppose if signing up with him means that the room will be ready for me, though, I should go and speak with him immediately."

She thanked the Guild Master sincerely in Orc, and then departed from the Quest Board and made her way over to the table that Stan was seated at. She glanced down at the array of scrolls and parchment, and then gestured briefly to the open chair on the other side of the candlelight.
"It's been made apparent to me that I'm supposed to pledge myself to the Hunting Guild with you, Sir Bard,"
she began.
"Perhaps if you're willing, I can sit here and listen to you explain the requirements of my pledging before I sign any contracts."

♡coded by uxie♡

Sir?” Stan sounded thrilled to be referred to as such. He was a blonde haired human sporting a loud, unlaced patterned shirt, with a personality to match it. “I like the sound of that… but you can just call me Stan.” He smiled at Fain before snatching up one of the contract scrolls.

“Sit, sit, Miss…” The Bard drew out the last word, waiting for the woman to give her name. He wasn’t shy in the slightest or unashamed as he noticed her eyes.

Stan

soulofeden soulofeden

Last edited:
Sir?” Stan sounded thrilled to be referred to as such. He was a blonde haired human sporting a loud, unlaced patterned shirt, with a personality to match it. “I like the sound of that… but you can just call me Stan.” He smiled at Fain before snatching up one of the contract scrolls.

“Sit, sit, Miss…” The Bard drew out the last word, waiting for the woman to give her name. He wasn’t shy in the slightest or unashamed as he noticed her eyes.

Stan

soulofeden soulofeden

• mood

FAIN

the chameleon

Fain smiled at the easygoing man, charmed by his energy.
"Stan, then,"
she said as she pulled the vacant chair out from under the table and lowered herself into it. She felt herself relax against the back of the chair, and it only occurred to her then that she'd been standing for quite a while.

When asked for her name, she hesitated for a moment, and then said,
"My name is Fain -- Fain Shadowbend."
It wasn't her real last name -- she didn't have one; she never did -- but it was some sort of mock title that her favorite peer had given her in the temple orphanage, and she supposed it suited for the circumstances.
"The pleasure is all mine, I assure you, Stan. Please, if you wouldn't mind, let's get down to business. What is required of me as a member of this Guild?"

♡coded by uxie♡

“As you like.” Stan flattened down the curled up scroll so Fain could take a look.

“Just your standard stuff really…” The Bard pointed down at each paragraph as he relayed what was written. “-don’t be an ass… look after your fellow hunters… equal share of the profits… something about taxes… blah, blah, blah…”

Hunter’s Guild Contract
I, the undersigned

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

in Mutual Agreement with my Brothers and Sisters of the Guild, accept the following terms and oaths:

• I swear to uphold the fine reputation of the Hunter’s Guild.
  • I swear to aid and defend all my fellow guildsmen.
  • I swear to bring prosperity and wealth for the Guild to grow and swear to handle any property granted to me by the Guild with great care.
  • I swear not to partake in any acts of aggression or ill will against my guildsmen.
  • I agree to share my profits from the field with those who accompany me on a quest.
  • Sharing is to be made in equal portions, no exceptions.
  • I agree to pay a Tithe of 1/10 of my earnings to the Guild & Crown, which will be deducted in advance.
  • Any equipment, paraphernalia or treasures found on the field will remain the property of whomever finds it.
  • Should I perish on the field, I wish to Petition for Resurrection. Y/N

Should I break any oath or clause in this agreement, I accept that I will be punished accordingly or, in extreme circumstances, banished from the Guild and stripped of all titles and earnings.

This I swear in the name of all Gods above and below.

Stan reached across the table for a glass inkwell and quill. The ink inside was blood red.

“So… you in?” The Bard smiled broadly as he set down the pen beside the contract.

Stan

soulofeden soulofeden

“As you like.” Stan flattened down the curled up scroll so Fain could take a look.

“Just your standard stuff really…” The Bard pointed down at each paragraph as he relayed what was written. “-don’t be an ass… look after your fellow hunters… equal share of the profits… something about taxes… blah, blah, blah…”

Hunter’s Guild Contract
I, the undersigned

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

in Mutual Agreement with my Brothers and Sisters of the Guild, accept the following terms and oaths:

• I swear to uphold the fine reputation of the Hunter’s Guild.
  • I swear to aid and defend all my fellow guildsmen.
  • I swear to bring prosperity and wealth for the Guild to grow and swear to handle any property granted to me by the Guild with great care.
  • I swear not to partake in any acts of aggression or ill will against my guildsmen.
  • I agree to share my profits from the field with those who accompany me on a quest.
  • Sharing is to be made in equal portions, no exceptions.
  • I agree to pay a Tithe of 1/10 of my earnings to the Guild & Crown, which will be deducted in advance.
  • Any equipment, paraphernalia or treasures found on the field will remain the property of whomever finds it.
  • Should I perish on the field, I wish to Petition for Resurrection. Y/N

Should I break any oath or clause in this agreement, I accept that I will be punished accordingly or, in extreme circumstances, banished from the Guild and stripped of all titles and earnings.

This I swear in the name of all Gods above and below.

Stan reached across the table for a glass inkwell and quill. The ink inside was blood red.

“So… you in?” The Bard smiled broadly as he set down the pen beside the contract.

Stan

soulofeden soulofeden

• mood

ambitious and refreshed, just a little bit restless

FAIN

the chameleon

Fain looked over the contract carefully, surprised at how minimal the wording seemed to be. She'd read stolen love letters longer than this! Could something so cut-and-dry really be the equivalent of signing up for a lifetime of service to one organization?

After a moment's consideration, she decided that the best agreements were the simple ones. She examined the details of the contract -- defend questmates, fine...no aggression towards guild members, fine -- so long as they didn't first show aggression towards her -- a ten percent tithe to the Guild seemed fair considering the "free" room and board, which she already knew wasn't truly free, and the tithe proved it...

"All of this seems to be in good order and quite reasonable,"
she told the bard, and after waiting a beat, she circled the "N" on the resuscitation clause.

Best not to anger the gods by playing as one of them before the adventure even starts.

She signed her name in a tight cursive scrawl on the dotted line using the suspiciously-colored ink and quill that Stan provided. Once she'd set the quill back in the inkstand, she stood from her chair and offered the bard a handshake.
"Thank you for the prompt explanation and quick closing, Stan. I'll choose my room a bit later -- I'm not quite tired yet. In the meantime, do you have any suggestions as to getting better settled in or acquainted with the people I'll be sharing my profits with?"

((I figure, Genii, if it works with you, Stan could perhaps direct her towards where she might be most needed in the RP? Are there any characters that still need to be interacted with, for example?))

♡coded by uxie♡

“Glad to hear that. It used to be wordier… poetic even, but it’s rare we get applicants who can even read.” Stan rolled up the contract and added it to his growing collection before shaking the woman’s hand.

“Anytime - and welcome to The Guild.” He spread his arms out theatrically, as if commencing a show.

“Why not grab a drink from the bar, or go take a look at the quest board.” Stan suggested. There were a few hunters gathered in both of those areas.

Stan

soulofeden soulofeden

_______

“We picked up a quest from the board.” Percival informed Alienor. “It’s nothing to write home about but…” A quest is a quest he supposed.

Something pinged off the teen’s pauldron, a droplet of rain, and it wasn’t long before more started to fall.

Percival

Gwenymoo Gwenymoo CalamityQueller CalamityQueller DualDragons DualDragons

“Glad to hear that. It used to be wordier… poetic even, but it’s rare we get applicants who can even read.” Stan rolled up the contract and added it to his growing collection before shaking the woman’s hand.

“Anytime - and welcome to The Guild.” He spread his arms out theatrically, as if commencing a show.

“Why not grab a drink from the bar, or go take a look at the quest board.” Stan suggested. There were a few hunters gathered in both of those areas.

Stan

soulofeden soulofeden

_______

“We picked up a quest from the board.” Percival informed Alienor. “It’s nothing to write home about but…” A quest is a quest he supposed.

Something pinged off the teen’s pauldron, a droplet of rain, and it wasn’t long before more started to fall.

Percival

• mood

ambitious and restless, somewhat indecisive

FAIN

the chameleon

Fain nodded at the bard's suggestion.
"Thank you, Stan. And thanks again for the opportunity."
With that, she turned away from the Signups Table and made her way through the crowded Hall once more, pausing in the middle to consider her options.

The Quest Board would give her a good feel of what was usually expected from Guild members, even those like herself that were fresh Hunters. Although she was certainly far from green in the area of combat and fighting strategy, growing up in Arksall didn't give her much of a chance to set eyes on most beasts -- and definitely not the opportunity to slay any.

Perhaps it would be best if my first quest was a bit more...peaceful. Like a scouting mission, or a travel escort, or even a spirit banishing.

She stared at the Quest Board from a distance, too far to read anything on it but close enough that the curiosity beckoned to her. On the other hand...many of these Guild members are seasoned Hunters with years of experience. If I don't start slaying beasts now, and I truly want to make a new life out of this opportunity, how am I going to gain any new skills or knowledge? How would I progress? At some point it's going to have to happen -- why not make it my first time?

She sighed and shook her head. A drink would clear her thoughts, certainly. Something stiff and strong. She had always been a lightweight when it came to wine and ale, but the low tolerance for alcohol allowed her to unwind faster than she would through meditating and slowed her thoughts down to an easy, digestible pace.

The Quest Board can wait until later tonight, or perhaps tomorrow morning. I need the Bar to help make the decision.

She nodded, even though it was only to herself, and squeezed through a throng of drunken adventurers to claim a wooden stool at the Bar and steady herself on the bartop with her hands. The pipesmoke in the air was beginning to make her dizzy -- she wasn't used to it. With her wits about her, she waited until the bartender caught her eye and then tilted her head upwards to summon him.
"I'll have a stout, please, Sir Barkeep. Something Dwarvish, if you have it in stock."
She glanced around at the other stools at the bar after she ordered, taking brief observation of the nearby faces surrounding her.

♡coded by uxie♡

Stan watched Fain walk away with a smile. As he’d ran out of new recruits to signup (for the moment), the bard grabbed his lute and began to tune it.

He soon began to sing:

“What is love? Lady thou woundest,
thou woundest, mine heart…”

Woeful words with a melancholy melody, which definitely didn’t fit the mood of the hall.

Of course, Stan knew what he was doing. As the first verse ended, he drastically upped the tempo (and the volume), and encouraged one of his audience to drum on their table.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbj4bulZX2Y

This seemed to appease the cheery crowd, who drunkenly joined in with all the ‘nonny no’s’.

Stan The Bard

Pokeking Pokeking

_________

Barry the Dwarf glanced up at Fain as she requested something Dwarvish.

“… ‘least someone around ‘ere has some taste…” The redhead commented as he pulled the lady a pint. He pushed the overfilled tankard her way when it was done.

“Enjoy.” He grumbled, with not an ounce of enthusiasm.

Barry The Barman

soulofeden soulofeden

Last edited:

Stan

soulofeden soulofeden

_______

Percival

Ivan looks up in the air. It looked rather stormy.
"Yuck..." He grimaced. Atleast it wasn't snowing or hailing.
"Are we going to dawdle more in the rain? Or shall we get going?" The man attempts to put some pressure on the group.

Ivan

Gwenymoo Gwenymoo Genii Genii CalamityQueller CalamityQueller

Stan watched Fain walk away with a smile. As he’d ran out of new recruits to signup (for the moment), the bard grabbed his lute and began to tune it.

He soon began to sing:

“What is love? Lady thou woundest,
thou woundest, mine heart…”

Woeful words with a melancholy melody, which definitely didn’t fit the mood of the hall.

Of course, Stan knew what he was doing. As the first verse ended, he drastically upped the tempo (and the volume), and encouraged one of his audience to drum on their table.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbj4bulZX2Y

This seemed to appease the cheery crowd, who drunkenly joined in with all the ‘nonny no’s’.

Stan The Bard

Pokeking Pokeking

_________

Barry the Dwarf glanced up at Fain as she requested something Dwarvish.

“… ‘least someone around ‘ere has some taste…” The redhead commented as he pulled the lady a pint. He pushed the overfilled tankard her way when it was done.

“Enjoy.” He grumbled, with not an ounce of enthusiasm.

Barry The Barman

soulofeden soulofeden

• mood

somewhat indecisive, a little foggy from the stout

FAIN

the chameleon

Fain smiled to herself at the barkeep's grumble and thanked him when he set the mug of frothy dark liquid in front of her. She pinched a silver coin from inside her cloak, pressed it onto the wood surface, and then wordlessly slid it over to the dwarf's side of the bartop. She then picked up the mug and turned around in her stool to face the crowd, which began to grow thinner as the night went on.

Stouts weren't usually her drink of choice -- she preferred something lighter and weaker in alcohol content, like ale -- but hunger had begun to creep into her belly, and while she noticed that food had been set out for the Guild members earlier, she'd been too distracted to go and take her own pickings from the great meal. A stout was heavy and would satiate her for a while after she drank it. Besides, a stronger alcohol would slow her thoughts down more than an ale would, and Dwarvish brews always had warm, comforting, earthy flavors to them.

She took a long gulp from the mug and wiped the foam off of her lips with the side of her hand. Not the best table manners -- but this doesn't seem the be the place to mind such a thing anyway. She cradled the drink in her lap when the bard began to play a tune, rested her back against the bar, and scanned the crowd again, trying to pick up any noteworthy details of the adventurers present. After a while, it turned into a sort of game where she decided for herself who had been a Hunter the longest versus who had been a Guild member the longest versus who had slain the most massive beast -- the scenarios kept changing, and it kept her focus occupied as the alcohol slowly filled her head the more she drank of the stout. Her foot mindlessly bounced along with the rhythm of the song. Tymora, goddess of good fortune and adventure, please bless me with the wisdom to decide which first step is the right choice...or send me a sign of which path I should first follow.

♡coded by uxie♡

Barry gave Fain a quick nod in thanks before pocketing the silver coin. Goodness knows what he did with his tips, seeing as he was stood behind the bar all hours of the day. Unless he had a secret twin?

As Fain turned her back on him, the Dwarf placed a small bowl of honeyed nuts behind her, before waddling off to serve more thirsty customers.

soulofeden soulofeden

BlackLung BlackLung redraider redraider ShredKnives ShredKnives ((Just tagging everyone who was sat at the bar.))
________

“You wish to leave now?” Percival raised his an arm to shelter himself from the rain shower. Hopefully his armour wouldn’t rust.

“-but won’t it be dark soon?” He added, starting to walk back towards the Inn.

Percival

DualDragons DualDragons Gwenymoo Gwenymoo CalamityQueller CalamityQueller

"Well if not now we leave at dawn. " Ramirez ruffled Percival's hair again, traipsing back towards the inn. "Rain and nightfall isnt the best combination to travel, can av yall getting a cold."

Damn, it was looking to rain? Rinzi should...Go ahead and find her room; now that she was a hunter, she would quest...Just not today. She hopped off of her seat, freshly having tip-toed out of the conversation, before promptly going to where she would need to be!

Her room! Where did she go to in order to figure out where her room was? Okay, so she waved her hand toward the bartender and politely and excruciatingly-excitedly asks where she should check in to her room.

Genii Genii

Xenophon yios Calix​

Interactions: Stan ( Genii Genii )
Mentions: Fain ( soulofeden soulofeden )

Xenophon's attention wavered at the oak board because he noticed another new arrival. It was a woman with white hair speaking with Stan. His thoughts turned again to logistics. It was a byproduct of reading his father's reports and his employment as a magistrate's clerk. Where are we all to sleep again? Will we need to draw lots? Will I be asked to bunk in the same room as a woman? I guess if room is in short supply, I could ask to sleep in the stable or even right here. Xen liked beds but he was willing to make a sacrifice if needed. I am a son of Calix after all and I am certainly not a child anymore. The wheels inside his head were halted by music and his eyes latched onto Stan. No, not in that way. I'm not here for love. I'd dishonor Altair and I gave my word to Mistress Beryl. If romantic companionship is to be had, it is not within these walls. Never within these walls. Love can lead duty astray.

Xenophon saw Stan pick up a lute which he surmised belong to the bard. Any musician of repute would have their own instrument. The minotaur's cloven feet clad in sandals moved. If there were others who wanted to get by him but couldn't since he seemed rooted to the ground could now do so. He had a large round sheath slung on his side. No, not a shield. Definitely not an axe since there is no handle. He got a chair and placed it next to Stan and sat down.

It had been a handful of days since he last played. The last time was in a tavern. He had been feeling somewhat homesick and began singing "Helpless, Never!" That always cheered him up. It was a hymn for minotaurs in times of trouble. The words spoke of a fool, obviously not a minotaur, who made two fatal mistakes. First, never assume a minotaur is harmless without a weapon. Second, never turn your back on a minotaur. The foolish person took his eyes off his captive for a moment and before he knew it, he was up in the air impaled upon the prisoner's horns. Blood flowing down, rivulets upon the minotaur's brow as he cheered his freedom. The patron's were aghast at the lyrics. He would have sang in his own tongue but it was clear that they would have had issues with him regardless. Just because I'm a minotaur of warrior caste and breeding. I moved on, our distant kin in Asterion would have trashed the place and killed any who sneered at his singing. Not that he would have been there to sing. The stories he had heard on his travels sent shivers down his spine.

Xenophon reached over and undid the binding of the sheath to reveal his lyre, a ten stringed instrument. It was the gift of Lady Carmina on his 13th birthday. It was clearly meant for a minotaur. The etchings on the arms and the soundbox on the instrument suggested a minotaur's face. On the back were Cretan glyphs. Translated into the common tongue, "Music builds bridges, Carmina kori Aldebaran". Plus the strings were strong, made for fingers such as his kind possessed. His hands would have snapped the strings of a lyre constructed for human use.

For roughly half a minute, he listened meticulously to the notes that Stan played to make sure that he was following along. Xenophon tentatively plucked the strings for about another half minute to make sure the notes he played lined up with Stan's. Once satisfied, he picked up the pace and followed along splendidly. He did not sing along though because he did not want to upstage the bard.

Last edited:
"Well if not now we leave at dawn. " Ramirez ruffled Percival's hair again, traipsing back towards the inn. "Rain and nightfall isnt the best combination to travel, can av yall getting a cold."

"You make a fair point," Ivan says to Ramirez, "I hate to get my wi- hair wet too. I bet the farmer won't fret if we stop by a little later."

Gwenymoo Gwenymoo Genii Genii

Stan heard Xenophon’s accompaniment long before he spotted the the man. He followed his ears and eventually found the Minotaur plucking the strings of a lyre. He didn’t stop his performance, but he was all smiles and carefully weaved his way through the throng to get closer.

He sang the last verse twice, just so that he could observe and listen to Xenophon play a little longer.

The Bard waited for the drunken half a*sed applause to die down before he started to chat. “A lyre. I haven’t seen one of these in a while. Beautiful craftsmanship...” He gushed as he leaned this way and that to admire the instrument.

The lute he’d swung over his back was nothing to write home about. It was patched up in places and the rose was broken through, but it was functional. Perhaps if he actually went out on quests he could afford a new one.

“Have you been playing long?” Stan asked, taking a seat.

Stan

Pokeking Pokeking

The rain didn’t concern Percival all that much, it was the darkness and the things that may be lurking within it - especially around these parts. He wore a deadpan expression as his hair was dishevelled again. It stuck upright thanks to the rain.

The teen wondered what Ivan was about to say before he corrected himself. … wig?

Percival

Gwenymoo Gwenymoo DualDragons DualDragons CalamityQueller CalamityQueller ((Any way we can steer them toward Fain. 😅 )) soulofeden soulofeden

______

“Rooms’r up those stairs to yer left…” The Dwarf gestured the same way. “You find a bed with nobody in it, it’s yours.” He said plainly.

It seemed that rooms were acquired on a first come, first served basis here.

Barry

ShredKnives ShredKnives

Last edited:
Saen uncoiled herself and stretched out- she'd zoned out there for a few minutes. Looking around, she saw a few familiar faces, and some not so familiar as well. "Well, it's getting late, but before we head up for the night, does anybody want to check out the bounty board? I wouldn't mind going on a hunt first thing in the morning."

• mood

confident, a little foggy from the stout

FAIN

the chameleon

Fain began to feel a warmth spread across her shoulders and down her legs, and she could tell that this was it -- the peak of her decision-making time, when the alcohol had the greatest effect. She started to close her eyes and listen more intently to the music -- perhaps it could be used as a conduit for the voice of Tymora, she thought -- but her lids snapped open again when a new instrument started to pluck along, interrupting her focus.

The bard -- Stan, if she remembered correctly -- was beginning to make his way through the crowd to join the new musician, a minotaur that she couldn't believe she hadn't noticed in her observations. Perhaps he had come into the Hall while she was signing her contract? Fain had never seen such a being before; Arksall was a city that was mostly populated by humans, so her experience with creatures other than humans and the occasional elf or dwarf was limited to what she'd read about in books.

Beast or not, the lyre he plays as an accompaniment to the bard's talent is quite lovely -- I can still use this. She closed her eyes once more and focused again on each of the notes individually, listening hard for a sign from the goddess of adventure.

It took over two minutes for her to allow the song to flow through the room and around in her mind, but eventually, small pieces of a message crept in through her intuition and solidified as an understanding rather than actual audible voice. A peaceful mission of escorting, scouting, investigating, or foraging it shall be. I'll deal with slaying monsters or stealing treasure when the time is right.

She opened her eyes once more when the song ended, no longer indecisive. It was decided -- she finished her stout, down to the dregs, placed the mug on the bartop, and stood from the stool. As if on some fateful cue, she heard a voice asking if anyone wanted to take a look at the Quest Board, and her eyes darted around the room to put a face to the inquiry.

Fain felt her eyebrows raise involuntarily when she set her sights on the lamia, but because the other woman was about half a foot shorter than her, she didn't feel an immediate sense of a threat. After all, the books she'd read mentioned that lamia were mostly humanlike in their demeanor -- nothing to worry about.

She took a few steps away from the Bar and made her way over to Saen.
"Hello. If you'd like, I'm also interested in choosing a quest. I'd be happy to take a look with you."
She did her very best to make her voice sound straight and sure instead of letting the fogginess she was feeling influence her tone.

♡coded by uxie♡

“Rooms’r up those stairs to yer left…” The Dwarf gestured the same way. “You find a bed with nobody in it, it’s yours.” He said plainly.

It seemed that rooms were acquired on a first come, first served basis here.

HERE SHE GOES!

"Thank yoooooou~!"

Wow, she was a little too excited on that one, but she was more worried about getting herself in a bed, passing out, and waiting until next year for a quest. In any case, she wasn't all about the first come, first serve basis, but she'll make do with it.

Opening the door, she was...Unsurprised. It wasn't nice, and it wasn't that particularly pleasing, but it would make do for a home with some decoration.

And that was good enough for her. With that said, this was an empty room with an untaken bed. She plopped herself down, went to sleep, and wouldn't come around for a little bit. Eventually, she'd come to for some adventuring but for now...Her story will take a pause here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back