• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Hunter’s Inn || Monster Hunting RP [OPEN]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Hannah

“You know, I do not believe they are rated.” Hannah thought aloud.

“I can understand why. The creatures from beyond the wall are a mystery to most… forgotten… misunderstood. It is hard to tell which may be a friend and which maybe be a foe… until you meet them.” The Elf smiled down at the tiny rat-skulled Leshen on her shoulder.

“My advice would be to study them, learn all you can and you will always be prepared.” Hannah suggested. “I have a library of notes here…” She held out a delicate arm to present the shelves filled with tomes and scrolls. “Many were contributed by Ramirez actually - he’s such a helpful young man.” Hannah smiled.

Lost Echo Lost Echo

"We weren't beyond the wall; that's why I thought it was a good first quest." She frowned at the idea of a monster being a friend, but perhaps she meant animals blessed by Herne. It would make sense for His blessings to not be affected by the wall. It was meant to stop evil, not Him. Then she followed the healer's gaze to her shoulder, flinching as it moved again. "What is that?" It looked like a tree with a skull stuck on it...except it moved.

Keeping away from the healer's shoulder, she let her gaze land on the shelves of books and scrolls. Before she'd been distracted by the jars of...whatever it was. "Holy Herne." she breathed, thinking of all she could learn from them. There was enough there that she'd have to get better at her reading if she got through all of them. "And I could just read them? I don't have to pay you for 'em?"

Hannah

“A Leshen. A forest spirit.” Hannah explained with a calm enthusiasm. “They’re mostly harmless unless angered in some way. Once full grown, they have an ability to manipulate nature and control the minds of nearby forest creatures. Quite remarkable really.”

“This one was grown from a cutting taken from a Leshen the guild found recently. The silly thing must have crossed the wall. They take hundreds of years to mature, so you have nothing to fear from this little one.” The elf reassured Meg, giving the tiny Leshen’s head a gentle pat.

Hannah smiled and shook her head as Meg offered to pay. “This research belongs to the guild. You are welcome to access - and add to it - whenever you wish. My only ask is that you return anything that you might borrow.”

Lost Echo Lost Echo

The use of spirit instead of monster was enough to relax Meg. The wiggly tree was weird, but as she didn't do anything to anger Herne, she didn't feel too worried. She couldn't imagine it covered killing monsters. The mind control was more upsetting. She didn't like the idea of animals being controlled, even if it was a spirit of Herne.

Turning to look at the shelves again, she was once again awed, but also hesitant about where to start. Then she remembered her original goal of managing armor or at least a new stick. Facing Helena once more, she asked, "Do you have any errands you need run? Callin said I could ask you for coin. The mess with the Shaalmar was enough to show how unprepared I am, so I figured armor, along with magic lessons from Master Balthazar was a good start." She might see if she could sell her earrings or her mother's necklace. It was foolish to keep it this long anyway.

Genii Genii

Hannah (npc)

“Balthazar is giving you magic lessons? That’s very sweet of him.” Hannah smiled. It warmed her big heart to hear that the veterans were looking out for newer members of the guild.

“Yes, that’s right. I need ingredients for the potions, balms and poisons I make. Not all ails can be fixed by magic alone, and I don’t like leaving the infirmary for long.” The elf explained.

“I usually ask Callan for help… I like to think it keeps him out of trouble.” She hoped anyway. “You must have left a good impression on him if he sent you down to me.”

Hannah went to her desk and picked up a small slip of paper that was addressed to Callan. She handed it over to the rookie and encourage her to take it.

The list of items Hannah needed was small (Blisterwart flowers, redcap mushrooms, carrion crawler larva), and there was a, “thanks sweetie xxx” at the very end.

“You can find everything in the forest, and I can give you five gold coins for each of these items.” So Meg could potentially make 15gc for her forage. Some of the quests on the board didn’t even pay that well.

Last edited:
Meg blushed, still surprised that the strong mage had been willing to teach her. And he'd already taught her more about water than she'd known. And his spell book was fascinating. Did it even count as reading? The icons formed in her head without any difficulty; something that rarely happens when she reads. She had no idea how Callan would have been impressed by her. She'd eaten breakfast and not freaked out. Like he must have a low bar if that was enough to impress him.

She looked at the list, surprised it was only three things. Three things she'd never heard of though. She would find them (that among of money was three times the total pay of the Holes quest. But first, "Can I use your library to see what they look like?" Hannah might have already said she could, but Meg was hoping the healer (and librarian?) would be able to show her where in all those words to find it. Once she did, Meg would study the three items, committing them to memory, as well as showing her whether it was safe to touch them with her hands.

Hannah (npc)

“Of course you may.” Hannah said, turning and walking towards the shelves. She ran a hand across the spines of her extensive library, then pulled out a few tomes - ‘Mushrooms of the North’, ‘Weeds and where to find them’, and finally ‘Man-eating Insects’.

She held the heavy trio of books out for Meg to take. “I think Morgana was planning to venture out to the woods today, perhaps you could join her.” The elf suggested. “She’s a lovely girl. Very smart.”

Lost Echo Lost Echo nathanKmcwilliams nathanKmcwilliams

Last edited:
Eyes wide--how was she going to read all that?--Meg took the books reverently. This was on par with the baths. Being allowed to use books and the hot water was probably worth being killed. She didn't want to say definitely--not wanting to test it--but just wow. Looking back at Hannah, she gave a half bow, unable to manage a curtsy with her hands full. "Morgana. Got it. I'll ask Barry if he can point her out to me. Thank you." With a nod in farewell, she turned and took the steps back into the main guild hall.

Immediately, she went to the bar, making sure to stay on the opposite end of the zombie. Forcing herself to ignore it, even if Anat might have been right about Lady Connor not controlling souls, there was a necromancer somewhere. (Couldn't they have not left the zombie where people eat?) she took a stool, carefully made sure there wasn't any moisture on the bar then laid the books in a stack. Glancing around but not seeing Barry, she decided to figure out what she needed to get first. Taking the first, she consulted her list--mushroom was on both. She'd need to look for redcapped ones. It sounded easily enough, so she started to flip through pages, stopping at any that were red (since surely the name was accurate) and reading the name of the fungi.

Lost Echo Lost Echo
Morgana yawned and looked away from the kitchen, back to the quest board. Had anyone looked at it yet? She sighed, and mumbled "it's only been a few minutes since I've put it up...be patient."
She scanned the bar to see which people were around, and caught sight of Meg at the far end. Morgana decided to take a different angle rather than waiting for someone to approach her about the job.

Morgana began making her way towards Meg.

Barry (npc)

Meanwhile, poor Barry was clearing up the mess in the bathhouse. He grumbled to himself as he mopped the drenched floors, collected up wet towels and refilled the half empty pool. He hadn’t a clue who left the place in such a poor state, but clearly some tomfoolery had occurred.

Meg had gotten to the end having learned that scarlet was the color red, but not finding the redcap mushrooms. She must have missed it. She was at the end of the book though, flipping through pages of long lists of words and...page numbers? What was this? In her peripheral, she noticed someone get closer, but was focused on figuring out this Index. It looked like the list was of mushrooms sorted by their letters. Meg's mind was blown by the convenience of this. She wouldn't have to read the entire book! She could just find the recap mushrooms on the list.

She looked up for a moment, to bask in the success of this new discovery, then turned to the figure beside her. Screaming at the monster, she jerked the book in front of her face, as she tried to back away. The stool tipped, sending her to the floor, and raising the pitch of her shriek. Without thought, the water came to her defense; though as most of the patrons were drinking ale or some sort of spirit, that came instead. Pummeling straight at the zombie person who was obviously attacking her.

Lost Echo Lost Echo
"Hi there--" Morgana was in the process of lifting her hand to greet Meg, when the blast of liquid spirits doused her. Morgana's hand slightly lowered, she was accustomed to knee jerk reactions to her appearance... but this level of spasticness was a first.
"...nice magic you have at your command." Morgana spat a little fountain of ale out of her mouth before she spoke.
"Now, if you're quite done...can we speak a moment?" She asked, putting on as much pleasant expression and tone as possible.

Meg hit the ground hard, knowing she'd bruise instantly, but thankful for Hannah's previous healing. Hannah! She scrambled up, snatched the three miraculously dry books, and then stared at the zombie. Who hadn't approached further? In fact, it had barely reacted at all to the deluge she'd poured over it. Which, glancing at the other, now drinkless patrons, wasn't the best plan. Still, had its master really just sent it over to talk to her? Keeping one eye on it, she glanced about the room, but though no one seemed happy, none seemed to be waiting for her approach.

Still, whoever it was, couldn't be happy with her attack. With a wave of her hand, she pulled the ale easily from the zombie, having had lots of experience with it, but when she went to try and pull any other liquid, she tugged at the squishier spots and stopped. "What are you?" the horror at the grotesque scene that it was shone through her voice. But assuming it didn't have the autonomy to answer that, she looked around again, "Okay." This job was going to kill her with all these crazy powers. She should have gone with Anat. "Sure, take me to your..." she waved vaguely, "Keeper? Riser? Master? Whatever their title is."

Lost Echo Lost Echo
Morgana chuckled, Meg's flailing around seemed almost cute to her. She blinked as all the liquid came off of her, "Now that is intriguing. You must tell me how that works some time."
When Meg asked what Morgana was, a slightly creepy grin spread across her mouth. "An alchemist with great aspirations." She answered, and then scoffed and rolled her eyes, one counter-clockwise. "Master? Oh please...no one controls me."

Morgana pulled up a stool, and gestured for Meg to sit again. "Anyways," she began, dismissing the previous chaotic moment. "I am Morgana, and I was curious if you wanted to take an opportunity to earn some gold?" She held up a copy of her job notice. "I'm making a survey of the woods, could use some warm, able bodies to help."

Meg looked at the sphere of ale she was unsure what to do with. "I was a waitress at the Fleet Fox tavern." She answered numbly, grimacing before clearing her face halfway through to be perfectly blank. She just had to treat it--her? like a particularly odious customer. As quickly as possible. Then flee to her room and just never leave until Anat came back. Alchemist? Meg wasn't sure what that was. Something with lead and gold? The...the person had to be lying to her. Some joke that went over her head. She nodded slowly, agreeing it did seem to be it's own puppetmaster.

"Wait you're Morgana?" There was no way this, this thing was blessed like Hannah was. What was the healer thinking? Did she offend her so badly she wanted her dead? Still, that sounded like it was the right quest. Surveying the woods would likely give her a chance to find her list. Swallowing down the bile at the thought of working with her, she tried to decide. Did she trust the magic in the contract to keep this monster from using her as parts? It would be best to go to the woods with another, and surely she was so unnatural most animals would flee at the sight of her. And getting paid would let her get armor or pay Balthazar for more lessons... "Do you want a list of stuff we see or are we taking stuff back?" She looked back down at her list, then forced herself to relax her grip on the books, setting them on the bar. She flipped to the back once more, searching for the page with r on it. If they were leaving soon, she needed to know what she was looking for.

Last edited:
Lost Echo Lost Echo
"Excellent questions." Said Morgana, she leaned with one elbow on the bar. "For this trip, I'm categorizing what flora and faunae that will yield the best and most useful ingredients." She paused, and decided to clear up potential confusion as to what she wanted these items for.
"Ingredients-- for potions, poisons, salves,and oils."

Morgana smiled, and curled a finger into her hair. "But if we find a Pixie, I shall want it captured, alive if possible." She breathed out wistfully, "I've heard wonderful tales about Pixies and their magic."
Her eyes turned back to Meg. "payment is 50 gold pieces up front. 50 on return...100 extra if you are the one to capture a Pixie. All from my pocket to yours, of course."

Meg was still staring. It was the eye. What if it broke off and landed on her? How could this, this, this thing just sit in front of her and speak as if she was—not normal, but intelligent?

One side of her mind noted Morgana doing this would aid Hannah—probably why she suggested her. That side was blocked by a wall of shock, the only thing keeping her from blubbering.

It wasn't smart to mess with fairies. Even for an extra 100g. Still, just going and surviving would provide an excellent bonus. Even if there were as many who went as last time (4), 25g would be a big bonus, especially if she could get the ingredients for Hannah. "How many are coming?"

She turned back to the book in front of her, her fingers landing on redcap mushrooms and then page number, 75. Carefully, she turned back to the page. There it was. Something that she felt she'd be able to notice.

220px-Amanita_muscaria_3_vliegenzwammen_op_rij.jpg

Lost Echo Lost Echo
Morgana yawned, leaning back on her elbow, she said to Meg, "You know...high anxiety leads to bad blood pressure. I promise I'm not going to do anything that would break the rules to you."

She tilted her head to the side and answered Meg's question. "As of now, it's just you and me. Still waiting for more people to see my job posting. But...I don't anticipate battling anything out there. This is just scouting for ingredients."

Meg breathed out slowly. She had to trust the magic to enforce the rules. There was no way they'd allow monsters without the limitation. Also to prevent people like her from killing them. Why was she not punished for her attack? Was it just so weak that it did not register? Closing the top book, she retrieved Weeds and Where to Find Them, going immediately to the index. "You have to admit you're...alarming." She commented, trying to keep her voice light-hearted.

B was easy to find and she found her page number (46) quickly. Flipping to the page, she tried to mitigate the offense she caused, if not to make the monster like her more than to let her die on the quest. "I'm sorry. I'm new here. And while yesterday was...very eye-opening, I haven't worked with one of you yet."

1668612408075.pngOkay, these were blisterwort flowers. They were tiny, Meg couldn't believe that was all she'd need to get. The leaves were large and with careful checking, she could notice them. But she'd have to be careful not to touch them much. Apparently, they were properly named. She could use her water to cut them and carry them in her bag.

Turning to look at Morgana for a second, then turning back to her books, regretting that, she commented, "As for ingredients. Madam Hannah requested a few. I'm looking up what they are, so I'll know." She passed over the note, already knowing the third choice.

This book was terrifying. There were man-eating insects? It wasn't a skinny book either. Hopefully, she'd want them dead. Dutifully, Meg went back to the index to look for the list that started with C. She wasn't sure she could manage the third thing on Hannah's list, carrion crawler larvae.

Last edited:
Lost Echo Lost Echo
Morgana feigned indignity, she blinked rapidly and placed a hand daintily on her collarbone. "Me? Aaalarming?~" Morgana put on her best noble accent. Her gorgon eye slumped out of the socket slightly, on mental command.
She knew her appearance was ghastly to most, and she kind of enjoyed it. However Meg calling her, "one of you" did annoy Morgana slightly, even if only because she, was still human, and not totally undead. For now.

Morgana shook off her annoyance quickly, that book Meg had was very intriguing. She asked, "Ooh. A tome of ingredients? How interesting!" She leaned over the top of the book to get a look.

Meg snorted at the dichotomy of Morgana's appearance and the accent she took on. Then looked over and flinched once more as the eye almost fell out. Instinct had her reaching a hand to catch it. Then she looked down at her palms, horrified at the thought of what she'd do if she had.

She was being rude. She may have been less monstrous than this zombie, but hadn't she realized she was one of them too? A hand raised to smooth down her ear, trying to make it appear smaller--a big ask with her hair braided back. She still flinched when Morgana neared to look at the book, but she turned it so that both of them could look at it. Flipping to the 74th page, she found her third ingredient.
1668869479233.png

Holy Herne on a Hopping Hoop. What the fuck? This thing was huge; it did not include more than a description for the larvae, but Meg was sure even they would be worth more than 5 gold. "Yeah, she's not getting that from me. Do you expect these things to be in the forest?"

Lost Echo Lost Echo
"Oooh..." Morgana chortled at the creature in the book. "How cute is that? I want one."
She inspected the image closer, "In the forest? I don't think so. An encounter would be unlikely out in the forest."
Morgana pointed at the carrion crawler's eyes, tendrils and hairs on its abdomen. "This is a cave dweller. Unless we go in a deep burrow or cave while we explore. Those eyes are enlarged to take in the dimmest light. See the tendrils? They look strong, probably capable of supporting it's weight while navigating rocky ceilings. And those hairs on its back, probably function like additional antennae, picking up vibrations and scents in the air."
Morgana crossed her legs on the table, "Most certainly an ambush predator used to hiding in the dark."

Darin Nord

Darin stepped off of the wagon, thanking & paying the driver for bringing him here. He looked around with excited but analyzing eyes at the city around him. To be honest, he wasn't really sure where to go from here. He'd been travelling from village to village, taking the odd job here & there so he could continue to eat & sleep, hoping to find a place where he could finally settle & work on things he actually found interesting. So, as per usual, he began walking throughout the area, looking for a place where he could get an -at least temporary- job.

As he was walking down one of the multiple streets, he came across a sign that advertised the building as "The Hunter's Inn". There were varying kinds of people walking in & out, many with weaponry. Seeing as he had some money on him, was walking for awhile, & just happened to look the part with his own two weapons, Darin thought that it might not be a bad idea to check it out. Thus, he walked into this "Hunter's Inn".

Of course the Frankenstein creature beside her would want one. But "Where would you add it?" Meg mumbled, shaking her head. She grimanced as her mind filled in possible examples, each worse than the last. And since she'd already learned about Morgana's slap-in-the-face honesty, she quickly followed up the accidentally voiced thought with, "Don't answer that."

The halfbreed appreciated the reassurance that the large crawlers weren't likely to be in the forest. It kept her from having to read the pages on the monster. Caves seemed like a terrible place for all things. These were enough of a deterrent to just write them off. At least the Shaelmar didn't ambush them. Though... "We'll return before nightfall?" It was blunter than her typical approach, but not only did she really not want to deal with whatever was out in the dark, but she felt Morgana would appreciate the straightforwardness. Plus, how could you see to catalog anything?

Meg's soft lamb-like ears twitched at the sound of another entering the inn, still tense from her companion's existence. She looked over her shoulder and relaxed at the sight of a human (actual human! not another monster) entering the room. The otherwise human girl returned her attention to the books in front of her, stacking them carefully on the bar. Reaching up to feel that her braid was still taut, she turned to look at the zombie in front of her. "Alright. I'll need to return these to Mistress Hannah, but then I will be able to leave when you are ready."

Speaking to: Morgana ( nathanKmcwilliams nathanKmcwilliams )
Noticed: Darin ( Voider Voider )

Last edited:
Darin Nord

Entering the inn, he looked around at all of the furniture & people. The place itself was mostly just your typical tavern, but some of the people were very... unusual to say the least. There was even someone who looked freakishly zombie-like, but seeing as they were talking to a woman who was far more human -except for the ears- , he assumed that everything was probably fine. As he was walking to the bar, he noticed the quest board & realized that this must be some sort of guild-owned building. Darin wasn't too familiar with guilds, but he knew they hired people to do certain jobs.

When he reached the bar, he took a seat & not-so-loudly called out to the bartender. "Good day, may I have a glass of water? I can pay for it if necessary." While the occasional beer was nice, right now he was hoping just to drink some fresh, cold water. His legs were also somewhat tired, having been walking around the city for about a couple hours. He was hoping to sit & relax for a bit, before continuing the day looking for a possible place to work.

Recalling the name of the inn he just entered, the people with various weaponry or tools, the quest board on the wall; taking into account his unique crossbow, short-sword, & limited experience with combat... he wondered if this guild was willing to hire?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back