• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Hunter’s Inn || Monster Hunting RP [OPEN]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
"Nothing more than aches and bruises." Some of the aches she wasn't even sure were physical. "I'm aware I survived the Shaelmaar with pure dumb luck and a lot of rolling out of the way. The bath house was amazing, but..." She shrugged, "Nothing to do but time." She looked up at the dark man, "Which I'll take."

"Bear? Um, excuse me, but how accurate is that?"

Callan

Callan grinned in response to Meg’s last question. “S’pose you’ll find out.” He answered before pushing himself up to his feet.

The Siren left the two rookies alone while he went to collect his armour and weapons in preparation for their quest. He returned a short time later, all kitted out and ready to go.

“We best get goin’. Got everythin’ you need?” He asked Tobias.

Gwenymoo Gwenymoo Lost Echo Lost Echo

((been a minute))

Guild Hall, Bar, Morgana
Morgana left the quest board after posting her job offer and briskly walked to the bar.
She pulled up a stool, and craned her neck over the counter to try and get a look in the kitchen.

Colby Safehouse
There was an intransigent stillness in the abandoned room, which denatured any such creature that dared its deafening quiet. Only those so reviled beasts which compounded the silence, the bottom feeding roach, the thread weaving spider, the occasional gnat or dozen, would pervade the stillness of the otherwise moribund dwelling. The fly on the wall would be privy to an approaching familiar tenor: a querulous, carping series of maledictions uttered from the jilted privations of a man having so readily acquitted himself of his own benighted patience, that it could only manifest in a cacophony of malfeasant calumnies.

A f!@#$%g water hag!!! You blasted, insipid dotard of a courtesan, you sent me across Colby for a F!@#$%G WATER HAG!” The door of the coffin-dead room was practically razed from its hinges by the force with which it was throttled. The foot of its assailant, Griggs, reeled back to the floor as the man continued his philippics into the room with a haughty march. “Cost me a bleeding fortnight’s worth of materia!!” In his furious encomiums, he’d tossed his sporran, tattered and desuetude, to the floor and made for one of the rear rooms, a sort of balcony that overlooked the alleyways that meandered the cusps of the surrounding shops. Lines of laundry traversed the other windows dotting the perimeters of the small causeways. Griggs huffed, glowering upon the manifesting refuse of townsfolk tending to their linens.

Hyra entered the room behind Griggs, followed by Martie, who’s footsteps were markedly heavier, evoking a sort of crowded creak beneath the assailed floorboards. Hyra, who’d rolled her eyes enough times during Grigg’s soliloquies to tie a visual knot, had taken to simply ignoring the man altogether, instead turning to Martie, who’d by now sat in the corner of the room with his puppets. He’d managed to construct an additional two, accounting, now, for four small toys that he took to task, watching them dance a sort of eastern trot, hands behind their backs and flouncing their legs in front of them, gangling about in a series of rhythmic conniptions contiguous to a type of tribal dance. Whilst he watched, he also listened to Hyra’s remark: “That man has more words for whores than he does for his damned tinctures.” She said, reaching into one of the kitchen cupboards and grabbing a small, dingy cup, and nearest it, a lidded earthenware pitcher, half full of wine. She poured the contents into the cup and then took a sip, shaking her head in disappointment. “Dramatics aside, this does set us back a bit. Though not for long…” She took yet another sip and stared at Martie’s dancing dolls. “Mayhaps this will afford us the opportunity to tie up some loose ends in town before the day is done. What say you, Martie?” She said coyly. Martie looked up at her, stared blankly for a moment, and then resumed watching his dolls dance.

Last edited:
Callan

Callan led Tobias to the Inn entrance and outside. The morning sunlight made the hungover Siren scowl, but Connor’s carriage soon blocked out it out.

The double-decker coach was ridiculously huge, with ten wheels and a tiled roof. The animated horse armour chained to the front of it was unsettling for some of the locals, but it wasn’t a new addition to the guild, they mostly just kept out of its way.

((Picture of Connor’s carriage and horse if you missed it.))

Gwenymoo Gwenymoo II-CinderRadcliff-II II-CinderRadcliff-II Oli Beju Oli Beju Lost Echo Lost Echo nathanKmcwilliams nathanKmcwilliams

"But!" And the dark angel was gone. Turning to look at the other, Meg stared wide-eyed. His response wasn't very reassuring, but Meg weakly waved back to Tobias, wondering where Bear was so she could avoid him. Though, if he really was a bear or even reminiscent of one, she'd likely see him coming from a distance.

Standing with a wince, the young girl looked around, trying to figure out how to get downstairs. She flinched at the sight of a zombie at the bar (was that eye moving??), backing away and deciding to try the other half of the guildhall first. Eventually, stairs were found and she followed them down carefully to an open room, with lots of...oddities lining the walls. Maybe they allowed monsters to work here to use them for their parts. Meg covered her ears, half wondering if she'd be able to hear if they took them.

Urzoth waited on the balcony for a while, letting Kenai decide when to return. Soon, the grizzly nudged them forward, causing their chair to roll toward the obvious door to the balcony, and dismissed himself. They could wallow no longer. Shaking themself out of their funk, they continued the path to the door, awkwardly leaning over to push it open before rolling through. Connor likely wouldn't appreciate them wandering the wagon alone--they were sure this was a second home to the armorer--so they summoned Akela for more than just company. Letting her track the other group, they followed the large wolf.

Last edited:
Colby Hideout

Mentions: Oli Beju Oli Beju
Basil-credits-to-Haraki.png

It's strange attending a meeting alone without Reks or Vesh there. Let alone being the sole one speaking. He never voiced his opinions or ideas during client meetings, leaving the conversation and questions to Reks. It's not that he hates people, absolutely not. It's just that he's sheepish around people. Now, it'll be worse as these people are temporary allies, and one wrong move can lead their alliance to plummet down the drain. I guess this is something he's supposed to get used to, as he's next in line to take over the small band of mercenaries. Out of all the people, why pick him? He's cowardly and can barely hold himself in a fight. He isn't a fool. He knows that taking over would lead the mercs to turn on him and find someone else to serve. Reks was odd, but he wasn't a moron. Did he see something in him that he didn't? Who knows. His mind scrambled with random scenarios as he thought of many ways this could go bad. His uneasiness was to the roof, and he had a good reason to be.

The Tamer's Guild.

The guild they're working with to acquire a decent amount of profit. It was a good idea, aside from the fact the members can be rather. . .frightening. To clarify, they're scary in his eye. Reks and Vesh weren't afraid of them, and he admired them for that. How much he envied them for such fearlessness. He couldn't help but sigh, playing with a strand of blond hair to give his fingers something to do. Maybe tidy his clothes before arriving? Yes, that could boost his spirit. So, his fingers moved down to his shirt, fixing up the collar, although his shaky hands only made it worse. His collar was messed up and sticking out at odd angles. He sighs, using his mental ability to clear his mind and aid him in focusing on the meeting. The nervous shakes were gone, and his fingers were steady and ready to refix his collar.

Everything was quiet in his mind, which was peaceful.

---

"Good. Much better," a bright smile formed on Basil's face, "I believe it's time to meet with them, yes?" He's speaking to himself, freeing his mind from whatever burden was left. His unwittingly slouched posture was straight, full of poise. His eye surveys the town of Colby, seeking any animal that would guide him to the hideout. Luck was on his side when a red squirrel was in a tree eating an acorn, so Basil approached the squirrel calmly. "Excuse me? May I ask for assistance?" He mentally communicated with the animal, using his emotional control to settle its stress. "I'm looking for a hideout of sorts. I believe someone is waiting for me inside?" The squirrel paused from eating, giving a quick twitch of its tail before leaping from tree to tree, then to the rooftops of people's houses, and Basil was quick to follow it. The rodent was going at a moderate pace; still, Basil was growing tired already from having to increase his walking speed. Having to dodge people on the crowded streets was no simple task.

The squirrel proved to be handy when Basil noticed the structure up ahead. His brief companion stops on the roof of the hideout and lets out a squeak which Basil guessed the squirrel was trying to say you're welcome. He watches the squirrel leave, and he could've sworn that he heard yelling from the hideout while watching. His eye glides to the building, sensing anger from multiple people. At this point, Basil was entering a rattlesnake's den. He patiently waited until the house grew quiet, only hearing the voices of the people of Colby. "Reks better leave me be for a good while after this." He huffs at his small joke before daring to enter the hideout. He ensured to shut the door behind him, offering them sequestration while they converse on the issue Basil's group was facing.

Basil cleared his throat as dust went down to his throat, coughing to the point his throat was sore. "This place needs to be tidied up." His fingers went to rub his throat for a few seconds, then head deeper inside. "Um?!? Mr. Griggs!?!" He called out to the man, keeping his voice low yet loud enough for anyone inside to hear. "I'm here on Reks' behalf." His voice was full of warmth, hoping to brighten the atmosphere of this place after the others' failed visitation with a client.

I… fear I, myself, mayhaps have overextended the pablum of our discussion.” RIka stopped. The silence of the room was deafening, then she looked over to see that the others were joining, their approaches visible from the windows. “Ah! Our remaining compatriots have arrived! Perhaps it may be best to embark, soon.

II-CinderRadcliff-II II-CinderRadcliff-II

Colby Safehouse

The decadent silence that begot Hyra’s austere countenance was suddenly broken. Up until that very second, she’d been poised on the one of the nearby chairs from thence she was a courtesan posing for a portrait, her gown draping inconspicuously in all the right places. Her focus upon her own décolletage was shattered by the new arrival, who meekly shut the door behind himself, only to bellow a gaffe out into the already diminutive homestead, trying to acquire the attention of Griggs. At the sound of the diffident arrival, Hyra shot up, sitting bolt upright and then turning back to Basil with a sneer, though Martie’s attentions couldn’t even deign a glance to the new entry. Hyra began, “I was under the impression that it was customary to knock before entering someone else’s home!” She snapped at the new arrival. “The brazen audacity…

Griggs turned from the balcony and entered the room. “That custom, apparently, doesn’t quite apply to the eclectic Lion’s Den crew… er-- group… or what have you.” His apt skills at titular nomenclature foundered, conveniently, if not factitiously. “Whomsoever you lot are called, I assume that you’re here because you’ve an explanation for your rather callow stunt in regards to a certain meeting with my confidante, here. She was obliged to wait for quite an untoward amount of time in a considerably unbecoming part of town for you and your clearly fallow “huntsmen” to prove all but truant.” He continued walking into the room until eventually he stood an arm’s length from Hyra, a hand resting on her chair as she crossed her legs in offended displeasure, a feigned pout ambled across her lips. Griggs continued, “Not to mention, an explanation for the rather rotund pink shaelmaar in the room… I speak of course, of the specimen that you lot were supposed to procure on our behalf.” His tone was no less full of invectives than earlier, only calmer. “One for which, as I’m sure you're aware... we’ve already forwarded you a considerable advance.

Astrophil Astrophil

Hannah

“Are you alright, Petal?” Hannah seemed to glide across the room in her dark green gown. She gave Meg a concerned look. “Is there something wrong with your ears?”

Lost Echo Lost Echo

______

Callan

Callan grabbed hold of the wagon’s railing and made his way upstairs and inside.

The first level contained some of Connor’s fancy armour which the Siren stopped to admire.

Gwenymoo Gwenymoo Oli Beju Oli Beju II-CinderRadcliff-II II-CinderRadcliff-II nathanKmcwilliams nathanKmcwilliams

'The Phantom Armory'.jpgConnor Brazzinford.jpg
Connor Brazzinford - 'The Phantom Armory'

Connor looked up from the couch as everyone was now ready to set out, snapping with her fingers to signal Deus to depart. The wagon started to move at a crawls pace at first, but with each step the wagon gained speed - the buildings around them passing by quicker as people on the streets parted way for them. Though now they had hit a limit in their travel time, as they were still in the city where there were too many people at risk of being flattened or otherwise injured.
"It'll take around 10 minutes to reach the gates out of Colby, but there's not much I can do about that since the wagon's just too big to safely avoid people on the streets. Once we're out of the city though, expect some strong winds on the balcony." Connor warned the others as she pulled herself off of the couch, walking around the couch towards a desk and opening one of the drawers. Her hands sorted through the papers inside while her eyes read each sheet carefully, before pulling out paperwork and her guild badge to get clearance with the guards at the gate - setting them atop of the desk before turning to Rika. "I've only been to the capital twice; once as a child while my parents were on business, and the other was a few months before I joined the guild. Both times I had plenty of free time to admire the city and dream of the life I wanted, though it ultimately wasn't the life I needed." Connor quietly spoke, her attention turning to Urzoth before walking over and grabbing hold of the wheelchair. She briefly looked embarrassed as she helped her fellow guild member inside, quickly regaining her composure while she looked for something to help them avoid rolling around the room like a pinball during their trip. "Sorry the wagon isn't easily wheelchair accessible, I'll have to see about adding in a ramp or pulley later. For now, feel free to make yourself at home." Connor stated before finding a rope, tying it around a metal rope clamp meant for dangling a bird cage from and handing the other end to Urzoth. "You might want to hold on tight to this, anything not bolted or tied down tends to go flying if the bump is large enough."

Meg stumbled backward, "No!" She squeaked, wishing even stronger than her hair was down so she could hide them. She lowered her hands, still staring at the antlers on her head. What did that make her? And what was that moving on her shoulder? Was it alive? Some sort of strange animal? Her gaze fixated on that instead, "Are you the healer?" She'd have thought a learned person would have to be a proper healer, which this place certainly should invest in. The bath was great, but couldn't sew you back together. This one was likely just an assistant.

Urzoth could imagine. They knew how hard bumps could be with just the wheels of her chair, let alone wheels of something this size. They gave her a tired smile, "I'll pay for the upgrades if you do, Connor." Taking the chain with ease, they laughed, "Good solution. Akela can get my chair if it rolls out from under me. Don't worry, we won't be a bother." They pulled themselves up with ease, flexing a few times before settling in the chair once more. Akela laid down in front of the chair, her body a barrier from it rolling forward.

Hannah (npc)

“Amongst other things.” The wood elf smiled down at the nervous rookie. The antlers appeared to be made out of wood, but didn’t look like they were a hair accessory - rather growing out of the woman’s skull.

“My name is Hannah. Are you new to the guild? What’s your name, Sweetie? Did you need my help with something?” She asked.

Lost Echo Lost Echo

"Meg. Yes, I mean no. I mean." Meg took a moment to breathe, "My name is Meg and yes, I'm new. I don't need anything really." She ran her hands along her arms as if warming herself. "I was wondering if I could get some bandages or needle and thread in case we got more than scrapes and bruises next time." she released her arms, flipping her palms up and then down to show off her own.

Looking up, she watched the antlers and wondered if she was blessed by Herne. Or one of their maidens. Again, she accidentally summoned her water for comfort, but this time she noticed, that 'sore muscle' that she'd never felt before twinging at the magic. She looked down, before moving to hide her hands behind her, the water encircling her wrist.

Genii Genii

Colby Hideout

Basil jumped in surprise at the sudden voice of a woman, with his pupil dilating in his singular eye. He examined the woman, briefly looking over Hyra, then cleared his throat as it was getting increasingly awkward. "I'm deeply sorry for my lack of manners. I was afraid that I was late for our discussion and was in a rush." He offers them a polite smile, ignoring the nervous sweat formulating on his forehead. These people were intense, not to mention the way they spoke made you shrivel in place. Basil takes in the scenery of the hideout, thinning his lips, "Home? I do hope not to offend you, m'lady, but this place requires spring cleaning. I feel like the spiders are on their 4rth generation as we speak." He tried to crack a joke to lighten the mood; however, the tone in his words lacked any trace of jest. When he went onto the topic of what happened and the aftermath of it, Basil cringed in his spot. His focus shifted between the two, inhaling to regain composure before speaking, "Oh," his eye settled on Hyra, "no amount of apologies can amount to our behavior. Believe me, when I say this, we were at the meeting spot as agreed, but we can into an issue. As in, a person issue."

He sat across from them, tapping his finger in a slow rhythm. "It was hard to explain as it happened too fast for my brain to piece together. We were waiting for Hyra," gesturing to her with a pointer finger, "and we were discussing what to do afterward, once the meeting's conclusion, of course. Out of the shadows, a pretty man approached us and spoke to us with such formality, like one from a noble heritage." He shut his eyelid, trying to regather his thoughts on that event. "When he kept talking to us, I could sense that our minds were getting altered, lowering our guards around him as if we were childhood friends." Lifting his eyelid, focusing on the two, "Gradually, the behavior of the other three changed. Knowing Reks, he would take the highest bidder, yet he's careful with his dealings. When the stranger spoke of an offer, we had a brief meeting if we should accept the deal or not. I tried to convince Reks and the others otherwise, but it's three words over mine. Next thing I know," his fingers went to his golden hair, playing with a strand of it, "I was on the ground. As soon as we got up, we started tracking the man who snatched our prize, which caused Hyra to attend a solo gathering."

He went deathly quiet - trying to remember what Reks said during that conflict, "We found him and was close to bringing both the bird and man in, but another group ambushed us and forced us to pull back. Afterward, Reks mentioned that the stranger that took the griffin was a Nephilim. Now that I've caught you both up on what occurred," he placed both hands on his lap, a gleeful grin on his face, "Reks would like to offer the Nephilim with no strings attached once we have both in our custody. A way to atone for our mistake."

Hannah (npc)

Hannah gently caught the girl’s arms before she could hide them behind her back. “Oh, you poor thing.” She murmured as she got a closer look at the bruising.

“May I?” The elf asked, but didn’t really wait for a reply before she pressed a (warm) hand against Meg’s injuries. Hannah’s hand glowed momentarily as she healed the girl’s wounds - leaving Meg’s skin completely unblemished and tingly as the magic did its work.

“If you get hurt while out on a quest, or feel poorly at all, please… never hesitate to come straight to me for help.” Hannah advised in her usual gentle manner. “That’s why I’m here after all.” She smiled and let go of Meg’s arms.

“I’d be more than happy to give you some healing supplies. I advise the other hunters to do the same, but do they ever listen?” Hannah rolled her eyes, though it was accompanied by a fond smile.

Lost Echo Lost Echo

Meg was silently staring at her arms, the water even stopped its current and pooled in her palm. This woman must have been blessed by Herne. She didn't hurt at all anymore. Even that strange ache around her magic was gone. Her eyes were wide when she finally lifted them to Hannah. "H-how? Can you te-" she cut herself off. The beautiful man, Cal could heal so well because he was part angel. This woman was blessed by Herne. Meg wasn't as far from holy as you could go, but she definitely wasn't close either. Swallowing, she nodded, "Thank you." Biting her lip, she added, "Maybe you can talk to Guildmaster Beryl?" Meg didn't want to overstep, but maybe she didn't know. "The black angel said that she likely made a lot of money from the Shaalmar we killed. Maybe some of that can go into packs for the hunters to just take on their way out?" She scuffed her boot along the floor for a moment, looking down. Maybe that was too far, but she could buffer her resentment if she stayed shy and looked away. Meg knew most people didn't like getting suggestions. Especially from someone under them.

Colby Safehouse​

One could almost expect an ivory statue to have shifted more than the two as they listened to the boy’s winded explanation of what had occurred. Not so much as a curl of lip would denote their understanding of the events that had transpired, which had apparently began as a conflict of interests, that slowly precipitated into a Sisyphean chain of one failure after the next… by the end of it, both appeared nothing short of displeased; then, however, came his proposal. Then, and only then, at the mention of a possible Nephilim acquisition, did Hyra’s expression falter… not pursuant to one earnest consideration of the proposal, but to that of outright defenestration. She, and thereafter, Griggs, scoffed and nearly guffawed at the boy so hard that it made the former’s chest move (as if much work was required on that end to begin with). Finally, Grigg’s took to unearth the once buried lede: “Not a minute ago, you claimed that this nephilim’s impact on you and your dullards was so great that it nearly derailed your commitment to, and thusly compelled you to renege on, our arrangement… and now you’re offering that selfsame nephilim as a compensatory prize along with the beast that was ours by right in the first place.” Despite his inquisitorial nature, by the end of the phrase, his tone was biting and accusatory. He’d nearly continued, but was stopped by Hyra’s hand resting on his, which he quickly swiped off of himself…

This is why I handle the negotiations, Griggs… your entitlement to good results often denudes your most callow oratory prowess.” She began. Griggs sneered and walked over to the cupboard, grabbing two more of the dingy cups, pouring the wine from the pitcher into both of them, not spilling a drop. He handed one over to Basil, and then took the first sip from his own, nodding at the boy and briefly holding up the cup to show that it was safe to drink: a necessary polity to which he’d become accustomed for naught but the sakes of those who knew him. Hyra, meanwhile then continued… “Just think of how the old man might feel when we waltz into the manse with not only a griffin cub in tow, but a full grown nephilim as well—”

Master Pylos…” Griggs interrupted, having barely downed his first swig of the drink, “… wouldn’t give two hides of an ekimmara about the belated arrangements of a group of degenerates; much less ones who’d just admitted to having nearly broken a deal with him.

And yet Master Pylos isn’t here. So why not just take the better deal, and if they fail again, we take what’s ours with the usual interest rate?” Hyra’s reasoning was sound, but only earned the palpable consternation of her compatriot.

You’re not fooling anyone, you greedy craven, if you’re seriously suggesting that I’d get any credit for bringing either of them in! This little urchin is lucky I don’t send him back to his masters with his lifeblood drained out of him like a f!@#$%g raisin!

After which time, we’d have the entire rest of his party to deal with. And quite frankly, I could do without another one of your poison induced “blood parties”, my dear. Perhaps ascertaining a bit of common sense will help you see that we clearly have the advantage in this negotiation.

If you want to deal with these dotards, you’ll be doing it on your own.

Well, what’s the worst that could happen? You end up waiting in an alley next to a barrel of rotting fish?

Ahso that’s why you’re being so cavalier. Waiting in darkened alleyways to make “transactions” with grown men is all in a day’s work for you, is it not?"

"Griggs..." Hyra's patience was evidently starting to run thin.

"It's no wonder, that you'd jump on the first ostensibly good deal that these vultures throw at you. Apparently one can take a whore off of the street, but taking the street out of a whore, on the other hand...” At that final remark, Hyra stood from her seat, fist clenched, practically nose to nose with Griggs, who merely smirked and then took another sip of his drink, backing away a few feet with his free hand up in feigned submission.

The duo’s carping made for a brief silence, broken by the sound of slow, calm footsteps walking toward the group: Martie. The child in robes was holding what appeared to be one of his dolls in hand. Quietly, he walked over to where Basil was sat and then stood still, staring at the man for a few beats. His eyes were blank as if he were staring through Basil, through the wall behind him, and possibly through the sky beyond both, until finally he reached into one of his many pockets and pulled out a toy puppet: it was wooden, plain with no hair or clothes, but with all the applicable joints attributed to a person’s, and only a single thin, practically wirelike string tied into the shape of a bow on the stomach. Martie held the toy up to Basil as though offering it to him. Both Griggs and Hyra stood and stared in stunned disbelief.

Content Warning: Strong language use.

Astrophil Astrophil

Hannah

“You’re welcome.” Hannah smiled as she was thanked by the youngster. She listened to Meg’s proposal and didn’t get cross or offended in anyway by her suggestion.

“Black angel? I’m guessing you mean Callan.” The elf chuckled. “I think that’s a wonderful idea, Meg. I’ll speak with Beryl later and see what she thinks.”

“How are you settling in to the guild? Have you made any friends yet?” The elf wondered. “Do you have any questions or concerns about anything?”

Lost Echo Lost Echo

Last edited:
Colby Hideout

Basil listens to their words intently, his singular eye switching between the two - reading their emotions with utmost observation. He twiddles with his fingers as a wave of anger clashes against him. It was sickening as the sensation was overpowering him, yet his face was calm. He lets out a disheartened sigh, his lips parted as he begins to speak, "That is true; nevertheless, I was unphased by his allure. Unlike Reks, I want to guarantee that your guild received the other end of the bargain. This situation would lead to both sides not receiving their full pay. Not to mention unnecessary hostility." His approach was formal and respectful, dissimilar to Reks, who uses his charm as a way to sway others to his words. Reks approach was more imperious, telling the others that he has control of the conversation. Basil was compliant - allowing the others to steer the discussion. That must be why Reks sent him here alone: Vesh was too disruptive and would ignite a fight. Reks' presence, after that massive failure, with increase their anger. "Hmm, we don't have to tell him full detail about what occurred. Instead," his attention shifted to the goblet full of wine, "we can reassure his outraged spirit that a grander prize awaits him for his cooperation, including his original bounty. Reks and Vesh are tracking the missing bounty as we speak," his hand went to the dented up and swishes it around, "but for right now, we need to find a way to keep Master Pylos on everyone's side and in check to ensure he doesn't consider betraying us. In his eyes," he shakes his head, "we're just couriers."

A sorrowful look was in his eyes of gold before it dimmed away, taking a cautious sip of his cup. He was quiet at the two wet back and forth in their conversation. Hearing Griggs' words about Hyra's previous occupation made him cease his steady drinking, astonished at how quickly they went to insult each other. Basil thought Reks' and Vesh's bickering was worse, but again, shown otherwise. Their silence brought displeasure, and Basil found himself shriveling in. He was on the edge of his seat, unsure if a fight would develop. The quietness was interrupted when soft footsteps came into the room, with Basil tilting his head toward the one making noise. His eyes beamed when a boy in a robe approached him. From what he recalled by Reks' description, that boy was Martie. Basil remarked on the puppet in Martie's hand, watching the boy as he grew closer to him. He watched as the boy offered the marionette. He gratefully takes the gift with a bright smile on his face. "Thank you, Martie. Hmm," he turns his peeper to the puppet, "I think it's fair that I offer you a gift too. I'll try to find a crafting store in the towns I visit so you can keep making your puppets. That way, we're even on the gift exchange." Basil rises from his chair, still holding onto the puppet. "Everyone's nerves are piping. I think tea would be best to soothe everyone's nerves," he eyes the cup of half-finished wine, pulling the marionette closer to his chest.

Meg was surprised. Based on many of the priests she'd met (Anat didn't count), she'd assumed the blessed of Herne would be enough to make her act noble. Instead, she seemed as laid back as the help. When she named the dark one, she shrugged. She remembered Toby, who was so upfront with...everything, but if the other named himself, she'd miss it.

When she asked about the guild, she hesitated, remembering her and Anat's concerns. "Do you know how the quests are rated?" She didn't want to insult the guild, so she tried to explain, "The quest with the Shaalmar just spoke of a bunch of holes in a field...It wasn't what I was expecting. Thankfully Ramirez knew what he was doing." She still had no idea how she survived.

Colby Safehouse​

Griggs eyed the man, thoroughly. His badinage aside, he couldn’t argue with a declaration for tea. Instead, however, he grumbled and walked back out to the balcony, clearly still irate from the disagreement. Martie continued looking at Basil, as though he had words for the man, but wouldn’t (or couldn’t) speak them. After a few more instances of drawn out stares, Martie bowed respectfully and then turned and walked back to his place of play, his other toy dolls standing to attention upon his approach. Hyra, watching their interaction, broke the reacquainted silence. “Couriers or otherwise, you have a point. If this deal falls through, now, we’ll both come up worse off… only we’ll be the ones short both a litany of funds and one griffin.” She took another sip of her wine, completely ignoring the topic of tea. “What say you of this, then? Since you and our own little urchin seem to have taken a liking to one another, I’d be more than happy to send him with you, to ensure the success of your quest.” She stood, pushing in her chair. The statement was much less of an “offer” than she’d otherwise postulated. Martie, who’d been listening the entire time, looked up at her, expressionless, as she continued, “There’s been a breach of trust, you see. And anyone would be understandably wary of sending you on your own again to repeat a botched job that should’ve been done right the first time. And besides… he may not say much, but I trust a child’s eyes more than I trust the words that come pouring out of any man’s mouth.” She said with a slight glare as her gaze turned to Basil. “Once this is finished, you’ll receive the remainder of your payment. And seeing as we can both agree that he needn’t know about any of either of our recent blunders… I’m sure Master Pylos will be more than happy to engage in future contracts without any prevarication.” She glanced back to Martie and nodded over in Basil’s direction. As if on queue, the child nodded, held a hand out to his puppets, and without warning, each of them appeared to levitate into either of the large sleeves of his robes. He then continued over to Basil and stood at his side, looking up at him.

Astrophil Astrophil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back