• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Hunter’s Inn || Monster Hunting RP [OPEN]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Meg flinched when a birdman picked the plate across from her. She paused in her eating, watching as he started. She’d seen the evidence enough to know he was fighting a hangover. Monsters getting drunk wasn’t that surprising, but suffering the after-effects? It was almost as if she were in an alternate reality. Her eyes flicked to the crowded table, watching Connor, come in, speak briefly then leave. A strange winged creature followed. Her eyes returned to the feathered man, wondering if he was the type to lash out. She knew of a hangover cure; just boiled ginger with citrus if you had it, but feared speaking. But then it might be offended if she didn’t. Meg realized she was staring and looked back down at her meal, taking another bite.

Genii Genii

Tobias collected another plate and got up, coming over to Meg's table and did his best attempt at a smile. "ere, 2nds if ya want. As you looked a tad scared of Callan and da others. I'm Tobias." he offered Meg his hand "I'm new ere."
Lost Echo Lost Echo

Callan

Callan sat down to eat. He’d need it to help soak up what alcohol remained in his gut. He could sense Meg staring as he ate. As she returned to looking down at her plate, he took a moment to stare back at her.

“….. bet you could hear a pin drop with those things.” He commented. And Callan thought his ears were big.

“So she should be.” He grumbled as Tobias mentioned that Meg looked scared of him. It wasn’t clear whether he was joking or not.

Lost Echo Lost Echo Gwenymoo Gwenymoo

(( nathanKmcwilliams nathanKmcwilliams I’ve added Morgana’s quest to the quest board section. 😁 ))

Last edited:
Meg stared up at the beast speaking to her. It bared its fangs, but instead of growls, offered her...more food? What was this? An attempt to fatten her up before eating her? She thought she heard him saying he preferred food still wiggling. Before the one across from her spoke. Of her ears. She flinched, her fingers tensing as she resisted the urge to cover them. Of course, the monsters thought of her as one of their own. She was. Her eyes burned from the thought. Of how true all of the comments she'd heard over the years, apparently were. Her voice was reedy as she reached up and took the plate from the man standing. "Thank you." It was only her years of waitressing that kept it from shaking. Her eyes flicked to the dark one's assurance that she should fear him still. And she suddenly understood. She might be a monster, but anyone looking at her could tell she was weak. And of course, monsters would prey on the weak, even of their own kind. The lid of her waterskin popped as her fear ratcheted, even as she wondered at the fanged creature in front of her. Was he offering her protection from the rest? She took his hand, careful of the claws, and shook it gently. "As am I. Yesterday was my first--" she was going to say time leaving the city, but to hide her weakness simply ended with "quest."

"mind if i sit witcha? I'm going on a big one soon... but uh my first one was pretty rough. ad this uh big tree thing." he sat down before Meg could say no and continued "It uhh think Callen called it a leshin? but it was shooting big roots everywhere and making da animals crazy like. we were only meant ta be lookin for a lost dog." Tobias was pretty animated as he recounted the quest, waggling his arms n wings.

Lost Echo Lost Echo

Mirrah

Four nights had passed since the oddity of a crate had found itself outside the guildhall’s front doors. Unlike the usual shipments of goods, this one had been far more questionable with its worn-down postage, obvious wear, and unreasonable amount of bindings. It hadn’t been long after that said crate was carted off to the guild keeper's private quarters without much update about its wares; it had been kept under heavier supervision once the inside contents came to light.

Inside, albeit seemingly impossible given the cramped space, sat what appeared to be a man. His legs had been folded close to his torso, arms wrapped around them and holding himself in a small ball. The man’s head had remained tilted downwards, resting upon his knees as his chest remained still. No air created a rise or fall of its chest, it completely and utterly still, if not dead. That is, until a soft, mournful melody within the box awakened the stranger from its slumber.

In those few days, Beryl had kept a close eye on this creature, its origin questioned until she was satisfied. As far as either of them knew, as the creature eventually began to speak, that he or it, was a donation gifted to the guild hall. He would now be of service to aid the hall and its members as much as it physically could. And as such, he would begin that promise today.

Now, after several days locked away from the sight of others, the stranger stood atop the stairway that led downwards to the meal hall. It lingered for but a moment before descending to its new company and purpose.

Locations: Bar and Party Bus

Godefroi reclined in her chair, her eyes scrutinizing everyone's plates with suspicion. Staring at them made her mouth dry, and her body shifted uncomfortably. She has little to no desire to eat such things. Not that she hates the lovely chief's cooking, that's certainly not the reason. Well, it's hard to explain it without sounding like a nitwit. It's humorless and sad how Godefroi wasn't afraid of men or beasts, yet staring at a plate of cooked food made her feet cold. She adverts her gaze to Barry at the bar, resisting the urge to ask for a drink, as her getting drunk would worsen the fear. Why was she afraid of food? How does this woman even live without eating anything? To answer the starting question: something happened to her long ago that made her distrust prepped meals. As for the second, she only eats meals she makes, away from everyone else. Salted meats have saved her many times, but the flavor is of low quality.

"I'll pass on eating," confiding to herself and not the group at the table. Sheepishly Godefroi's eyes turn to Urzoth, who appears to be wearing their thinking hat. Ah, her mind was busy on the quest. Perhaps, trying to figure out the Wyvern's reasons for entering the mines. The blonde woman's lips pulled into a hard-to-see smirk, amused by the fact they both tried to formulate a conclusion for its odd behavior. "You're thinking hard over there, Urzoth. Something wearing heavy on your mind?" In the corner of her eyes, she noticed Rika's eyes on her, clearly observing her face and reading off of her. Goldefroi rises from her chair and pushes it in steadily. She twisted her head to focus on the attentive one sitting at the same table, giving them a brief up-and-down examination. "Rika," her voice was low, "you're gazing at me like I'm an entirely new person." Her approach was austere, bearing no joking intentions within the newly formed conversation. She follows Rika to the wagon, not seeming to care about the fanciness of it all.

It's like she's another version of Goldefroi, as the one from the other day was frivolous. Not taking anyone or anything sincerely.

"You too?" Meg blurted out, before blushing and looking down. Still, the fact worried her greatly. Would Anat, Percival, Calixto, and the others be okay? At least Ramirez was a veteran. Then the man continued, saying the quest was also mislabeled. "What is the quest you're going on now? Will there be any veterans coming?" Meg knew that without Ramirez she, Ivan, and Percival would have died. Her eyes glanced back over at Callan, checking to see if the predator was still watching.

Genii Genii Gwenymoo Gwenymoo

"Well its ta check out da tunnels, might be a wrym or sumit? But we got callan and the lady with like...uhh the walking armour. Quite a few people are going on dis one.... what about you. Taking a break?" He tilted his head curiously. "Cos like breaks are a good thing. Rest is important."

Lost Echo Lost Echo

Callan
Beryl (npc)

“Leshen.” Callan corrected Tobias without looking up from his breakfast. He nudged a few things on his plate as he listened to the two rookies talking.

In his experience, all the quests here were complete potluck. You never knew what you’d be hunting until you were face-to-face with it. For that reason Callan tended to select quests with large rewards, so at least they’d be worth the effort.

Beryl was quick to join Mirrah and appeared to badger the poor masked man into offering his assistance to the other hunters in the room. It was odd for the half-orc to give a rookie (presumably) extra attention and encouragement. Usually she’d leave that job to the veterans.

Lost Echo Lost Echo Gwenymoo Gwenymoo TheCrowKing TheCrowKing

((Sorry it’s short. Still having internet issues. 🙈 ))

I earnestly had no pretensions of such.” Rika answered, acknowledging Goldie’s query from earlier in the guild hall, as though it’d been an afterword. “I only felt to have noticed a similarity between you and Siwai, is all. Please pay it no undue consideration.” Wordlessly thereafter, she continued onto the carriage.

~​

Her first steps on to the contraption were pensive and timorously reticent, as though the slightest bit of added weight to what was already an insensible (and well sustained) tonnage would irrevocably destroy the entire thing. Looking at the first floor armory, particularly all the different sorts of armor that would be present, she contemplated each facet’s respective purpose. All the while, she considered how each of the individual pieces, and even the entire suits, might provide them an added advantage against their expected foe. At least, she then made her way out of the rear exit and up the side stairwell up to where Connor dwelled, apparently deep in thought. “The others should be finishing their morning repast.” She said, stopping a descent enough distance to turn back if Connor expressed she wished to be left alone. Oddly enough, the carriage seemed more like a house or cottage of its own; if such was the case, it’d be best to permit the host her due privacy; however, still… “So… noblewoman, armorer, and wainwright?” She coyly asked, somehow managing a playful smile, inquiring as to whether or not the maker of defensive couture had also constructed the palatial carriage which served as the group’s transport. Rika was beginning to realize that she bore a resplendent appreciation for other self-made women: particularly those with a litany of talents.

Astrophil Astrophil ; II-CinderRadcliff-II II-CinderRadcliff-II

'The Phantom Armory'.jpgConnor Brazzinford.jpg
Connor Brazzinford - 'The Phantom Armory'

Connor turned around upon hearing Rika's voice behind her, pulling her out of her thoughts of Pierre as she turned around to meet her gaze. Her lips formed a slight smile as she took off the helmet for her armor, seeing as the two were alone for the time being. Nestling her helmet within her arm, she listened to her Guildmates question and pondered briefly before speaking.
"While I was a noblewoman and thoroughly enjoy my work as an armorer, a wainwright is not a skill I am experienced in." Connor stated as her available hand ran along the railing behind her, emerald eyes shifting to the intricate carved patterns as one of her fingers flowed along them. "I had the wagon commissioned several months ago, and it was finished just under two months prior to today. While having the space for all of the armor I need on quests was the main reason, it also helps that I don't have to set up camp every time I venture further than a days distance from Colby. It wasn't easy to pay for, though I'd rather go broke being independent than re-establish ties with..." Connor paused as she silently sighed under her breath, stopping her mind from dwelling on the past before looking at Rika again. She walked towards the door leading into the wagons second layer, opening it before gesturing for her to follow. "Come on, I'll show you inside. As a side note though, you may never get used to riding in normal wagons again, so make yourself comfortable."

Upon the door to the wagon swinging open the interior came into view, with the first thing immediately within view was the living room near the doorway. The furniture immediately screamed rustic cottage vibes with little hints of foreign design, plenty of furniture filling up the space to make it feel like home away from home. Towards the middle of the wagons second level were four large beds where the walls bulged out a little bit, with a large table in the center next to the kitchen at the very front of the wagon - with a fully stocked wine bar for guests to pour themselves drinks. Such a space would have costed a fortune to fully furnish, though luckily for all of her Guildmates she was wise with money. Connor walked in and took off all of her armor and put it all onto one of the armor stands, plopping herself onto one of the couches and stretching her arms out. "Deus will get us to the mines within roughly six hours, so we have plenty of time to spare."

Interactions: Rika ( Oli Beju Oli Beju )

Oli Beju Oli Beju II-CinderRadcliff-II II-CinderRadcliff-II
Wagon: Siwai, Rika, Connor
Siwai had paused for a few minutes upon seeing the wagon. In his mind it would have been something made of wood. He looked around the carriage to see if he could find a suitable perch up top.
Once the journey was underway, he wouldn't have wanted to be inside, Siwai liked to be high up and as close to the sky as he could be, feeling the breeze in his proto-feathers.

But for now, he followed Connor and Rika inside, taking in the experience in silence. He looked at the furniture on the second deck, this was all too complicated for him. Siwai was the picture of simplicity.

Meanwhile, Pestle slithered underneath the carriage, and nestled up above the axles, finding a place to stow himself. He could follow Siwai in as unobtrusive a manner as possible this way.

Rika listened quietly, whilst the woman before her regaled the commission that had been the mobile cottage. However, on Connor’s last word before proceeding into the wagon’s second story hull, she couldn’t help but giggle at the remark. Unbeknownst to her, Rika was already impressed beyond comportment with the masterpiece, even if it weren’t built by the woman’s own hand.

~​

She followed Connor inside, looking every which way at the lavishness of the construct. The beds, the furniture, the bar, each ornamental habiliment fêted its surroundings into a harmonious decor la merveille of sorts; and the cherry on top of it all was that it even had a name… or perhaps was the name for the horse. Rika suddenly stopped, thinking of how she hadn’t seen an army of horses required to transport such a commodious object, even without the added weight of whom would soon be its denizens. “Deus…” She said quietly. “The armored horse outside?” Whilst Connor denuded herself of her armor, Rika sat quietly on one of the beds, running her palm along its sheets. The ornamentation reminded her subtly of a few of the lavish, if not gaudy trappings of Renton, and yet here, in the space of such a quaint home, such trappings acquitted themselves well, and sensibly. “I must say, this place is astounding. And here I thought the estates at Renton had ruined architectural marvels for me…” She stopped herself short, not wanting to divulge too much into the place that had once been her prison. And then, suddenly, either because of the current place, the bed or the company, she suddenly felt rather comfortable with the topic, and continued. “If you don’t mind my asking… from one noble lady to another… have you ever been to the capital, Connor?” There was a slight sadness in this question, and yet she genuinely did want to know. While she’d read of the Brazzinford family in her studies, as she’d been required study all of the myriad other powerful houses in Hartland, she’d been a bit preoccupied with a few other noble families abutting her departure from her captors.

II-CinderRadcliff-II II-CinderRadcliff-II , nathanKmcwilliams nathanKmcwilliams

The tunnels? Where the Shaelmar was? Oh!” Meg looked pale, with a touch of green. The water came out and swirled around her hands, which she kept in her lap. “Can I take a break?” She asked quietly, willing to sound stupid as they already thought of her weak. “With everything that’s here, free food, housing, that bathhouse, wouldn’t we have a quota to reach at least?” Her eyes flicked over to Callan at the question. It was obvious he was listening (though Leshen made less sense than tree monster to Meg.)
Gwenymoo Gwenymoo Genii Genii

Urzoth ignored the others, eating as quickly as possible while retaining manners. As the table emptied, they started on their fourth plate, but without anyone to talk to, they finished quickly. With a sigh, they rolled out to the wagon, attempting to hide their reluctance. Ever since they’d learned earth magic there were few obstacles their chair couldn’t manage. Height was the hardest to subdue. And as the half-orc wheeled themself out the door, they could confirm that the wagon’s side was too high for them to simply reach with earth magic. They couldn’t create earth; they could merely move what was there. And it wouldn’t do to make pits inside of Colby. Especially considering they still did not know if the tunnels reached beneath the town.

With a sigh, they summoned Kenai. The large bear cradled them in one arm, and they felt like a child. Like the child they were, lying on their back after that fall too stunned to do anything. The grizzly picked up their wheelchair, with his claws carefully hooked into the wheel’s spokes. Placing it on the back balcony, he then gently sat them back in it. His great big muzzle nuzzled their hair, and they stroked his fur, pushing away thoughts of the past.
II-CinderRadcliff-II II-CinderRadcliff-II Oli Beju Oli Beju Astrophil Astrophil nathanKmcwilliams nathanKmcwilliams

Last edited:
Callan

“Shaelmaar’s a decent catch. Bits on that’re worth a lot more than your measly quest reward.” Callan commented, remembering the Holes quest slip with its 5gc payout.

“Beryl would have made a lot of gold from that hunt.” He doubted Ramirez claimed the beast for himself… the big softie. “So f*ck it, put yer feet up.” He would.

Lost Echo Lost Echo Gwenymoo Gwenymoo

Alice Evergarden

Alice was waiting for her mission group to awake so they may depart when the sudden earthquake hit the guild hall. She wasn't too bothered by the event, she was sure her doll case was secured and closed, so her darlings were safe. Alice hardly reacted to the seismic movements, staying sat upon her stool whilst watching the rest of her guildmates stumble about and panic. When her stool tipped and fell, all it took was a simple slip into the shadows and the elf was safe. Earthquakes couldn't hurt shadows after all. After the earthquake ended, Alice reformed and picked up her stool, dusting it off and setting it back in its spot.

Her peculiar mark made his way down the stairs in quite the huff just as Alice had taken her seat. She waved a hand to the man, smiling and nodding a greeting. "Just an earthquake, no fault of our more rowdy guildmembers for once." She gestured to the spot next to her. "Sit, eat. We can talk about the mission while you finish breakfast. We should work on securing another member for the team as well, I think. Someone big to stand behind, preferably." She placed her elbows on the bar and propped her head up with her arms, watching Barry as he worked. "We should also ask Beryl for a debrief before we leave. Could have some insight. I also need to catch up with her, its been quite some time since we have really spoken. What are your thoughts on the matter? On the mission, not my relationship with Beryl."

Holyhalo Holyhalo

Faceless

As his mind was wondering about last night’s encounter with the short elf, she drew his attention with a wave. As usual, he was simply overthinking things. He gave a nod towards the waiter and thanked him for making sure his food would be prepared and served in his room. Noticing that the white powder had transferred from his shoulder and arm to the gloved hand he’d used to try and clean it with, Faceless began clapping his hands together in an attempt to get rid of the white remains only for it to evenly divide between both his hands.

For a moment, Faceless just stared down at his powder covered gloves before giving a sigh. Holding both hands out in front of him to make sure he didn’t transfer any powder back to his outfit, he made his way over to the elf, actively dodging other people so they wouldn’t get powdered either.

“Curious morning.” He greeted the elf as he took the seat she assigned, awkwardly moving it with his foot so he didn’t have to grab it with his hands. “I feel like that ‘for once’ hides a whole load of funny stories, but for another time.” He put his hands on the table, palms upwards and got as comfortable as he could given the situation. “Ah, well… I ordered breakfast in my room but it’ll be a while before it’s done so we can talk until then.” He didn't like being the cause of the short length of their conversations for a second time in two days but he wasn't going to eat out here just to please one person.

He nodded in agreement as the elf began describing their third party member. What was her name again? Lisa… Evergreen… Allgreen? Allisa. Alice Eversomething, that was it. “I agree. Someone to keep them off of us while we take care of them from a safe distance sounds fantastic. Preferably someone with a high poison tolerance. Poison and bad breath. Ghouls aren’t known for their hygiene.”

While he hadn’t really had much time to form an opinion of Alice during last night’s very short conversation, he found her to be refreshingly pragmatic. Get a well rounded team, find a professional and ask for advice. These all sounded like good ideas. None of that heroic storybook stuff. He found himself just sitting and nodding through most of the conversation. “Those all sound like great ideas. If you happen to know a big shield guy who happens to be a veteran, now that would be a godsent. As a rookie I’m required to be escorted by at least one, you see.” He didn’t remember if Alice had told him her rank in the Inn last night or not, he’d been distracted by his cup at the time.

“I don’t remember ever hearing about it but does the Inn have a library or some collection of knowledge somewhere where we might read up on things? I remember reading up on ghouls a while back but I’d like to confirm the specifics before I prepare the wrong countermeasures.” He found himself reaching up to stroke the bottom part of his mask only to remember the powder and stopped, putting his hand back down on the table.

“As for your relationship with Beryl…” There was a clear hint of mirth in Faceless’ voice as he shrugged and, if she was attentive enough, Alice could see the twinkle in his eyes as he looked at her.

Firelie Firelie

Ashley watched the patrons, when, out of the corner of his eye, he saw an elf and a random dude interacting. One thing he noticed was the way the guy locked down at something. Ashley wondered what it was, he couldn't make it out. Ashley went from his table, to closer to theirs, wanting to eavesdrop n the conversation and see how long he could sit there before one or both of them noticed, He heard about countermeasures, and he really didn't comprehend what was actually going on, but it seemed so interesting. They talked about party members and stuff, but they seemed to be talking about some sort of journey. And there were relationships involved, how juicy!
'Was it an invasion of privacy?' Ashley thought, before deciding against it. He wished he had some coffee to drink while this was playing out. Oh, and Ashley promptly feel asleep.
Holyhalo Holyhalo Firelie Firelie

Meg was suddenly just struck by the fact that monsters could be worth something. She’d assumed Ramirez had carted the giant beast back as proof of the kill. But you could sell it? “What, do rich folk stuff them too?” She’d seen a woman with a stuffed bird on her hat before. The lady was quite proud of it and wouldn’t let Meg touch it. Meg, on the other hand, that it looked ugly and very dead. Still, “Aren’t all profits to be shared equally, with no exceptions?” Maybe she'd misread that. But if she had more than 1gc, then she could get armor maybe even a better stick. Pay someone for lessons. She'd been broke her entire life, so even one was more than she'd had before--with all her tips going to the Innkeeper--but this was a chance to keep from having more pain.

Callan

“S’pose. Don’t see why they’d want to though. Most of the monsters we hunt are ugly bastards.” Callan mused. “… no offence.” The Siren muttered under his breath, with a slight smirked aimed at Tobias.

“Aye, quest rewards are-“ Callan said, concerning the gold being shared out equally. “-loot n’ corpses aren’t. Thought Ramirez would’ve told yer that.”

He frowned at the girl for a moment, then begrudgingly suggested, “… if yer need gold, speak ter Hannah n’ Colin… they’re always after somethin’… and they pay well.”

Gwenymoo Gwenymoo Lost Echo Lost Echo

Tobias pondered "Knowing ramirez he probably used the money for all the food he treated folks to after.... he's a generous guy and would just give it away." Tobias recounted, "Guy used to live in the stables back at the clan. He's oddly like uh..." Tobias waved a hand trying to summon the right word. "Thurty...rifty...thrifty?"

Aren’t all?” Meg murmured under her breath, reaching up to cover her ears, only to remember she had braided her hair back. Making a fist, she lowered her hand, feeling her ears twitch in embarrassment. “It wasn’t as if I could have carried the thing back myself,” she defended Ramirez, “I could barely carry me,” she shook her head. Turning to look at the brightly feathered man, she nodded, “He does seem too kind to be true, doesn’t he? Though I suppose Thunder would keep him warm if nothing else.

At the dark one’s suggestion for coin, she nodded her thanks. “I’ll look into that. Colin is the cook, correct?” He hadn’t ever introduced himself to her, so she wasn’t sure. “And Hannah is the healer? I’d already planned to go see her today.” Her hands absentmindedly ran over her elbows, where the scrapped skin was obvious, even if clean.

Tobias chuckled "Thunder is very protective of him, i heard he raised her from an egg." he paused noting she was injured. "Ya hurt?"

Callan

“That’s the one. Four arms, can’t miss him.” Callan gave a nod.

“Hannah’s in the basement.” He added, briefly glancing down at the girl’s bruised arms. The wood elf could heal those up in no time.

“… y’might wanna go see Bear too.” The Siren suggested.

Gwenymoo Gwenymoo Lost Echo Lost Echo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back