• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Hunter’s Inn || Monster Hunting RP [OPEN]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Maxxob Maxxob
Siwai took another bite of his food, and approached Balthazar with caution. Keeping a small distance of approximately ten feet he asked warily "So portal maker...ya act like you've been here before. I never seen ya."
His voice matched his extremely diminutive stature, with just enough of an edge to be taken seriously.

Balthazar
Interactions: X'nerus FloofWhispers FloofWhispers / Urzoth Lost Echo Lost Echo / Open
Reactions: Siwai nathanKmcwilliams nathanKmcwilliams

The old man did his best to contain his laugh at one of the patron’s reaction to his appearance within the guild grounds, which also happened to be unknown to him for the time being. The place had changed quite a bit from what he remembered, it certainly looked more lively. And the old magus wouldn’t have it any other way. He was then approached by the tiger-being. As he presented himself, the old man did the same, getting up from his seat and taking off his purple hat, revealing that he was, indeed, neither bald nor balding, to those who always wondered that - “It is a pleasure to meet you X’nerus. I am Balthazar, possibly one of the oldest members of the Guild” - he returned the bow with his hat on hand, before placing it back on top of his head - “Have you joined the guild recently?” - he asked the towering feline.

He then moved his free, left hand inside his robes, taking out a smoking pipe, made out from redwood, from it and putting it onto his own lips. While he didn’t plan to light it up, it was almost a ritual for him when he was inside the guild grounds to have it ready for when the opportunity for smoking arises. Resting his staff against the counter, he once again armed himself with his tome and produced the magical feather pen from his robe. He opened the grimoire on a blank page, starting to make a few notes. The old man wrote in strange glyphs and symbols. His eyes, however, weren’t focused on the page, but rather X’nerus and then Urzoth in turn - “Oh yes, I am very interested in that. It is not every day that I come in contact with that kind of that kind of energy. I think the last time was…” - the old man halted. His face contracted slightly as he tried to jog his memory - “... 4 decades ago”.
X'NERUS

HP: 90% / 100%

X'nerus shook his head, "I have been thinking about it, but I'm currently lacking motivation." The tiger grinned and leaned in, "Perhaps you can convince me, dear mage. What will the guild give me in return for loyalty?"​

Kleth
With a great thud the door of the inn burst open, briefly revealing a large, taloned foot before it retreated beneath the heavy coat worn by the newest entrant. So big was this coat that the identity of its wearer was almost completely obscured, almost to the point of absurdity. People may have commented on how unwieldy and unflattering this coat was, so bulky and misshapen and ill-cared-for it was. ‘Gosh,’ they may say, ‘what a truly dreadful coat. They look like a lumpy mishmash of humps and bumps, not at all like a nice normal person. I do hope they stay far, far away from me lest I accidentally brush against it and contract some kind of fashion-oblivious disease.’ Really, it was a dreadful coat.

The coat-wearing figure stepped in, their talons clacking softly against the wood as the only clue to their true identity until the door swung shut behind them. In a flurry of fabric and feathers the abhorrent coat was cast aside and there stood Kleth, the carrion harpy. In all truth, carrion harpies were not a much better sight, but you must understand how absolutely horrific this coat is, how mind-alteringly bad, how preposterous and vile and-

“Pig contract is done!” Kleth stepped forward as she announced her return. Finally able to see clearly, she cast her large eyes around the room and, seeing mostly unfamiliar faces and no Beryl, settled into a scowl. “Pig contract is done,” she repeated with much less vigour, sullenly stalking over to the bar and clumsily taking a seat. She looked over at the old wizard and the cat-man, offering a cursory hiss to the both of them. “New. Feh. Nasty new people.”

FloofWhispers FloofWhispers Lost Echo Lost Echo nathanKmcwilliams nathanKmcwilliams Maxxob Maxxob

Callan gave the retracting had a suspicious glare, tail wagging behind him like a tetchy cat as he put some space between them. “Rookie.” He added to the end of Morgan’s introduction.

“Ah, welcome. It’s lovely to meet you. I’m Hannah.” Hannah gave Morgana a warm smile. She didn’t appear to be put off by the newcomer’s appearance or profession. To be honest, it would take a lot to rattle the Elf. She’d seen much in her exceedingly long lifetime.

“Necromancy?” Callan dared to ask.

Callan
Hannah (npc)

nathanKmcwilliams nathanKmcwilliams

Absurdisan Absurdisan
"Hiya Kleth! Good work out there!" Siwai waved at the harpy with a wide grin, breaking his attention away from Balthazar for a brief second.

Genii Genii
Infirmary
Morgana smiled "Likewise." She was pleasantly surprised that Hannah's reaction to necromancy wasn't filled with disdain. She glanced at Callan and chuckled "Oh you know...the study of magic that makes corpses do stuff...and the kind that plays with the forces of death and it's interaction with life." She spookily waggled her hands and caused her voice to waver hauntingly as she finished "Or undeath..."

“… wish I’d never asked.” Callan grimaced as Morgana tormented him.

“How exciting. Perhaps I may pick your brains on the subject?” Hannah said as she led trio over to her desk and office area. The walls were covered in overflowing shelves, containing books, jars and mysterious artefacts.

“Speakin’ o’ brains-“ Callan placed the four hag heads down on Hannah’s desk and stepped back, wiping his hands on his gambeson. “Hope they’re alright. I got detained by a er… old friend.”

Callan
Hannah (npc)

Colin began serving up lunch for any Hunters who were sat in the Guildhall. There wasn’t really a menu here, you just got what you were given, but the cook was always happy to take requests - or challenges if it involved an ingredient or recipe he hadn’t tried before.

Tobias would be able to help himself to anything he liked from any of the tables.

Gwenymoo Gwenymoo

Last edited:
Yelania
Yelania could see some sort of commotion unfold in front of her, but she felt too tired to even try and intervene. And on the bright side, nobody seemed to notice her much, which was more than pleasurable for Yelania. She saw her usual drink be placed before her, and grunted in response to the bartender asking about her day. "Rookies...stupid." She uttered before lifting her helmet enough for her to down her beverage in one gulp. "Where's Beryl." Yelania asked the bartender, rising from her seat.

Tobias had picked up a tray sporting a whole roast boar to consume, along with a tankard of beer.

Kleth
With a great thud the door of the inn burst open, briefly revealing a large, taloned foot before it retreated beneath the heavy coat worn by the newest entrant. So big was this coat that the identity of its wearer was almost completely obscured, almost to the point of absurdity. People may have commented on how unwieldy and unflattering this coat was, so bulky and misshapen and ill-cared-for it was. ‘Gosh,’ they may say, ‘what a truly dreadful coat. They look like a lumpy mishmash of humps and bumps, not at all like a nice normal person. I do hope they stay far, far away from me lest I accidentally brush against it and contract some kind of fashion-oblivious disease.’ Really, it was a dreadful coat.

The coat-wearing figure stepped in, their talons clacking softly against the wood as the only clue to their true identity until the door swung shut behind them. In a flurry of fabric and feathers the abhorrent coat was cast aside and there stood Kleth, the carrion harpy. In all truth, carrion harpies were not a much better sight, but you must understand how absolutely horrific this coat is, how mind-alteringly bad, how preposterous and vile and-

“Pig contract is done!” Kleth stepped forward as she announced her return. Finally able to see clearly, she cast her large eyes around the room and, seeing mostly unfamiliar faces and no Beryl, settled into a scowl. “Pig contract is done,” she repeated with much less vigour, sullenly stalking over to the bar and clumsily taking a seat. She looked over at the old wizard and the cat-man, offering a cursory hiss to the both of them. “New. Feh. Nasty new people.”

FloofWhispers FloofWhispers Lost Echo Lost Echo nathanKmcwilliams nathanKmcwilliams Maxxob Maxxob
X'NERUS

The cat-man in question raised his eyebrows and shook his head, but purred in the wizard's presence.​

“… wish I’d never asked.” Callan grimaced as Morgana tormented him.

“How exciting. Perhaps I may pick your brains on the subject?” Hannah said as she led trio over to her desk and office area. The walls were covered in overflowing shelves, containing books, jars and mysterious artefacts.

Callan
Hannah (npc)

Infirmary:
"Heh." Morgana chuckled, "Of course. I'd be willing to trade some information...if can take a little inventory on what your shelves hold." She pointed her chin at the impressive collection.

Balthazar
Interactions: X'nerus FloofWhispers FloofWhispers / Siwai nathanKmcwilliams nathanKmcwilliams
Reactions: Kleth Absurdisan Absurdisan

To X’nerus’ question, the man thought for a brief moment. It didn’t take long for him to know what could be the bait to lure the feline warrior to the guild. Place the feather pen inside the tome and closing it for now, the old magus positioned himself to the burly warrior’s side, making it so they could be both looking at the same direction. Lifting his left hand in the air, he made movements as if presenting a most wondrous visage, albeit there was nothing really in front of them - “Just imagine it! Fame beyond your wildest of dreams, fortune to fill your own pockets and last for a few generations! And the bathhouse… oh, the bathhouse is simply perfect to get the old joints in order…” - he moved his back slightly and the creaking it did was loud enough for those around him to hear it - “... helping those in need, if you are into that…” - he said in a less enthusiastic tone than when he talked about the bathhouse - “... and, of course, meeting new, interesting people. Like… that…” - he commented, seeing the vile creature, covered with a coat, that had just walked inside the Guild Hall.

“The usefulness of the guild, I guess one could say, varies from person to person. I find it I am always furthering my own pursuit of knowledge while on missions” - he finished, taking once again his original position and opening his tome. He started to scribe in it, when his attention was directed to the small kobold hybrid that stood at the distance from him - “Ah, but I have. I have been away on my own research. Who knew gorgons could be reserved about their secrets… you see, the more dangerous the cave, ruin or lair you dive in, the more interesting things there are lying around” - he patted his robe near his chest. A heavy, bookery thud could be heard when he did so - “Are you a new guild member?” - he posed the question to the short fellow.

Maxxob Maxxob
"Oh!" Siwai's posture instantly shifted to a neutral relaxed state upon hearing Balthazar's explanation. "You're one o the old timers here!" He leaned up against a nearby barstool, which was the same height as he was, and laughed good naturedly "I been here a couple years. Name's Siwai, by the way." He jabbed a thumb at his own face.
"I really like exploring dangerous places too. Gives me a chance to get stronger if I survive an' beat whatever's laired up there."

Alice Evergarden

The harpys sudden outburst certainly piqued Alice's interest, though she decided to stay in her seat as Callan and his mysterious associate ran off out of the guild. Alice decided to turn to her porcelain darling to occupy her time, taking it in both hands and inspecting it for blemishes. She felt the cool skin of the lifeless doll in her hands and smiled, rubbing her thumbs in slow circles across its cheeks. She looked it in the eyes, squinting at the reflection. There, in the black beady eyes of the lifeless doll, Alice once more saw something.

There she sat with her lips curled in an intoxicated smile. Her gaze which normally shone with candid curiosity reduced to glazed, unfocused orbs. She didn't know how long it had been when she finally startled, like one waking from a deep sleep. It was a subtle movement, a small jolt of the head as her gaze snapped up from the doll. She looked around, taking note of her surroundings. "Oh. Balthazar." Alice muttered, just now clocking his presence. "Urzoth, Siwai." She nodded to the three as she acknowledged them. "My, its a proper party." She playfully chimed, deftly putting her doll back in its box and closing the lid. "Mayhaps I get out of your way, unless my attention is needed?" She spoke with a playful cheerieness with a calm smile, but her eyes kept darting round the room, a strange glint to their crimson shine.

Mentions: Maxxob Maxxob Lost Echo Lost Echo nathanKmcwilliams nathanKmcwilliams

“Don’t worry Sweetie, they actually improve with age.” Hannah said to Callan. She took out a few coins out from her dress pocket and offered them to the Siren, but he turned them down.

The Wood Elf had helped Callan out countless times, and he may have had a fondness for the woman on account of all the pet-names.

“Don’t worry about it. I best get back to check on… the bar.” He explained before heading out.

Hannah smiled like a proud parent, then turned back to Morgana. “Yes of course, do help yourself. Was there anything in particular you needed?”

Callan
Hannah (npc)

Callan jogged back upstairs to make sure Tobais hadn’t ran his mouth off to anybody… or eaten them.

Gwenymoo Gwenymoo

“Mhm.” Came Barry’s response. Although in his opinion, some of the Veteran hunters could be just as bad. “Down the hall, showing one of the rookies to the Bathhouse.” The Dwarf explained where Beryl had gotten to, before leaving to resume his place behind the bar.

Barry (npc)

Nessi Nessi

Tobias had aquired another of the paltters to devour, spotting Callan he waved in greeting. "Ya here for supper?!?"

Callan noted a few new faces in the hall, along with an older one he thought they’d got shot of.

The Siren didn’t turn Toby’s jolly wave, but he did shoulder his way past the others to get over to the rookie.

“Liquid lunch.” He answered, helping himself to Tobais’ tankard. Annoyingly it was empty.

“Look, about how we met-“ Callan lowered his voice as he sat down. “I think we best keep that between you and me, yeh? I got a lot o’ gold fer that job… from a Lord no less… it’d be bad fer the guild if anybody knew.” He explained with a serious expression.

Callan

Gwenymoo Gwenymoo

"well I did tell dat orc lady when she asked." Toby shrugged, "I don't see what the issue is, ya just asked me to go somewhere else for a bit." Tobias muched in a chicken leg, bones and all. "Golds a good thing right? If your afraid its gonna get stolen I'll look after it for you."

Callan looked annoyed, but at least it wasn’t Beryl. He’d have to watch this guy like a hawk from now on. F*ck sake.

“Urzoth’s alright… they ain’t no Lady though.” He said, raising a judgemental brow as Toby ate his chicken like an animal - bones and all.

“It’s a lot more complicated than that.” The Siren rubbed his forehead as Toby’s naivety began to give him a headache.

“Ne’er you mind my gold.” He scolded. “Besides, it’s all tied up… in The Bank of Beryl.” Callan grumbled. “Otherwise I’d drink it all.”

Callan

Gwenymoo Gwenymoo

Urzoth, who was economically eating as fast as they could, nodded in agreement, “Yes, most shamans don’t leave the tribe. It’s where our ancestors prefer us. My wolf couldn’t stand to be confined, so here I am.” She gestured to the hall in turn before returning to her breakfast, which was almost done.

Then another entered. The half-orc didn’t care much about her clothes--though that coat sure was ugly--knowing how touchy the townfolk could be. Instead, they cared about the noise. It was preferable to the excited cries, such as now, from Siwai. Shaking their head, they nodded at Colin and snagged an extra lunch, immediately setting into that food. The worst part of the spirits inside them was sating all of them.

The wizzard tried to entice the Tiger-man, who seemed interested in something different. They couldn’t contain a snort at his speech. Tigers were lone hunters, so the help of a pack wouldn’t help, but they did add, “Steady quests mean a steady income too. Profits are split evenly, and the guild covers most of your needs.” They waved the fork, showing one of the better benefits. They gave a nod to Alice, unbothered by her previous catatonic state. It was common enough. At her question, Urzoth shrugged, truly uncaring which she chose. They weren’t annoying, but they’d never make someone stay. “Ask the wizzard; your magic’s just as curious as mine, I’d say.

Callan seemed to be fleeing the infirmary when he entered, but maybe it was an urgency to check on his chick. Which he immediately did. Rolling their eyes, they finished their second meal and turned to the mage, “Ask your questions, Balthazar. I know not to get between a mage and knowledge.

Guildhall:
Firelie Firelie Genii Genii
Siwai tilted his chin up at Alice "Yo! You're back. Any new dolls for the collection?" He asked, with genuine interest inflected in his tone, just before Callan shoved through in front of him. "Cal! I was talkin'! Good to see ya though."

Infirmary:
Morgana looked over the shelves with glee before answering Hannah. "Oh yes...I could use some dessicating agents for these Basilisk Eyes." She put the jar up on a counter.
"I want to dry them out for a hallucinogen powder and I don't want to wait on the sun to do it."

Balthazar
Interactions: Siwai nathanKmcwilliams nathanKmcwilliams / Alice Firelie Firelie / Urzoth Lost Echo Lost Echo

As soon as the short creature presented itself, Balthazar scribbled a few times onto his tome and then stopped, content with the result. When he heard about Siwai’s mutual interest in also adventuring into dangerous, unexplored places, a smile perked up upon his lips. He had the fleeting suspicion that his minuscule colleague would be very dependable, and useful, on his explorations - “I wonder if there is any interesting quest posted… one that would lead us to a really dangerous, knowledge filled place…” - he commented, clearly trying to evoke the kobold hybrid interest, his smile now only present on the right corner of his mouth.

He then heard, for the very first time, the girl with the white hat speaking. His curiosity about her arcane energy was the same as he had felt for Urzoth’s one. The very half-orc themselves had said exactly what was in the magus’ mind - “If you don’t mind, young arcanist, I would like to ask more about your craft” - the old man answered her question if her presence was needed. What an opportunity he had! There was the possibility of furthering his knowledge about two very different crafts. And in an ambient where no one is trying to blow up each other to smithereens, the opportunity of a lifetime.

Positioning himself as to have both Urzoth and the white-hatted wizard into his field of view, he turned his tome to a blank page, before he started - “Is there any need for a catalyst to use your crafts? Are utterances needed? Can you both invoke your crafts at any moment, or is there something specific that needs to be present for it?” - he asked, his voice carrying a calm tone - “Is any communion needed to invoke it or is the knowledge of it sufficient? Does proficiency in the arcane change the potency of it? Can you fall from grace and not being able to use it anymore?” - he continued, his voice starting to change, his eyes enlarging, little by little, as if looking at something he desired deeply. No, he HAD to have it.

“Is the worship of any deity necessary? How effective it is against the nature’s elements? Are you the master of your craft or is there someone with more knowledge you are aware of?” - the feather pen in his right hand moved at lightning speed on the blank page of the tome. His eyes were slightly bloodshot and his gaze changed almost like a hawk’s one - “Tell me and I promise it will be quick…” - as his mouth started to draw the very first word of his thoughts, the man came to a full stop. Straightening his back, he let the feather pen fall in the middle of his tome, bringing it to his mouth in a fist and clearing his throat - “Forgive me. Sometimes the pursuit of the arcane gets the best of me” - he apologized, offering a wry smile and taking the pen on his left hand once again.

Last edited:
“Hallucinogen powder. I’d love to know if it works.” Hannah smiled excitedly.

Hm… I do have some diatomite dust somewhere… ah, here we are.” The Antlered Elf reached up to a high shelf and retrieved a large jar of off-white power for Morgana.

Hannah (npc)

Maxxob Maxxob
 Guildhall:

Siwai grinned, "Oh I know one. Might be up your alley too, Oghma's Ruins, buncha goblins there...think it's some sort 'o ancient temple. It's got a red skull on it so it's definitely gonna be a blast."

A random guild member shouted "Watch out Balthazar. Siwai's a magnet for gettin' swallowed by monsters. Yer gonna have ta bail 'im out!" Several of the people at his table all chuckled and exchanged knowing glances. Turning, Siwai fumed and waved his arms in the air, fists clenched "Shuttap Randy! Don't make me come over there!"
The table burst into laughter as Siwai blushed with rage before breathing out and internally counting to ten. He laughed unsteadily, "Anyway! I'm down for a job. It's been a while, I mainly been patrolling Colby's walls lately."

Infirmary:
Genii Genii
"That will do nicely!" Morgana cooed and took the powder with glee. She caressed the jar of eyes almost lovingly "Soon babies...soon you'll fulfill a purpose."
Morgana answered Hannah's question. "I've seen it work before. But I suppose those of very strong mind could shake the effects off quickly." She grinned and opened her arms "Now for my part of the bargain. I'm an open book. What did you want to know about necromancy?"

Balthazar
Interactions: X'nerus FloofWhispers FloofWhispers / Siwai nathanKmcwilliams nathanKmcwilliams
Reactions: Kleth Absurdisan Absurdisan

To X’nerus’ question, the man thought for a brief moment. It didn’t take long for him to know what could be the bait to lure the feline warrior to the guild. Place the feather pen inside the tome and closing it for now, the old magus positioned himself to the burly warrior’s side, making it so they could be both looking at the same direction. Lifting his left hand in the air, he made movements as if presenting a most wondrous visage, albeit there was nothing really in front of them - “Just imagine it! Fame beyond your wildest of dreams, fortune to fill your own pockets and last for a few generations! And the bathhouse… oh, the bathhouse is simply perfect to get the old joints in order…” - he moved his back slightly and the creaking it did was loud enough for those around him to hear it - “... helping those in need, if you are into that…” - he said in a less enthusiastic tone than when he talked about the bathhouse - “... and, of course, meeting new, interesting people. Like… that…” - he commented, seeing the vile creature, covered with a coat, that had just walked inside the Guild Hall.

“The usefulness of the guild, I guess one could say, varies from person to person. I find it I am always furthering my own pursuit of knowledge while on missions” - he finished, taking once again his original position and opening his tome. He started to scribe in it, when his attention was directed to the small kobold hybrid that stood at the distance from him - “Ah, but I have. I have been away on my own research. Who knew gorgons could be reserved about their secrets… you see, the more dangerous the cave, ruin or lair you dive in, the more interesting things there are lying around” - he patted his robe near his chest. A heavy, bookery thud could be heard when he did so - “Are you a new guild member?” - he posed the question to the short fellow.
X'NERUS

[X'NERUS' AFFECTION FOR BALTHAZAR ( Maxxob Maxxob ) HAS INCREASED BY 15%!]

The cat nodded and smiled, "I have not had a good bath in ages, to be quite frank. mage." He purred and stretched, raising his left leg upwards, pointing to the ceiling like some acrobat, his joints seeming incredibly flexible. His joints popped and cracked, obviously from wear and tear. "And I live to help those in need. I suppose I'll join."​

Hannah chuckled hearing Morgana talk to her jar of eyeballs. She certainly was an interesting character.

“Oh, I wouldn’t want to bother you on your first day. There’ll be plenty of time for that later. Go-“ The Elf flapped her hands in a shooing gesture.

“-go and have fun, make some friends, and go out on adventures while the day is yet young… just try not to get hurt in the process.” She added, sounding like a worried mother.

Hannah (npc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back