• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Hidden Secret | Private

LONELYRAIN

not so lonely
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
672ad08b475fc8e7993edbcccd1c205b.jpg
Kaida
"You must not leave these grounds." Yes, she knew. "It's far too dangerous out there for you, you know naught how cruel the world outside can be." Yes, she was aware, or at least had been told too many times for her to count. And yet, even as these words were repeated time and time again, she always found herself gazing from the chapel windows, displeasure in her chest and a longing that sprung to life as the world outside passed her by. A world that she was forbidden from partaking in, if only to ensure her own safety; for reasons she was well aware of and as such was a prisoner to the holy church and the people who were her caretakers.

Frigid faces, empty gazes and shifty eyes would be a familiar sight to her when she was not passing her time gazing out the window; the priesthood being those who did not particularly treat her with warmth. Certainly, she was protected and given food and a basic enough education within the halls to perform accordingly as a priestess herself, yet her every action was monitored, restricted and suppressed. From an early age, she had learned quickly to not speak out of turn, and never allow the priests to catch on to her preferred pastime of sneaking out.

Her little escapades into the surrounding rural village of Farnfoss were always very brief and never truly would wind up too far from the chapel, and yet these little adventures were what she looked forward to every day. The chapel, as it was quite old was host to plenty of unused passageways that led underground and left convenient exits inbetween the little houses that would form the main square as well as the marketplace, and only from her little hiding spots would Kaida view the comings and goings of the people; their lively chatter being music to her ears. From watching people barter, to listening in on the insignificant gossip that flew from wives lips; it was all little things that made the woman feel just slightly less alone, slightly less trapped than when she was constrained to the chapel.

But even then, these little adventures outside were beginning to not be enough for her. No, instead it opened up a little bit more curiosity, a little bit more of a hunger to truly see what the world had to offer. However, the final push was not due to her usual curiosity, instead it was something else, a dark presence to darken the chapel doors.

Farnfoss, and by extention the chapel that revered Pheorr, was considered very much minor and insignificant - at least if one wasn't a merchant or desired profit. The odd phenomenon that surrounded Farnfoss was the fertile soil, being unnaturally so as despite the time of year, harvests would always be bountiful, thus promoting the town's reliance on passing merchants that may want to resell the unnaturally healthy harvests off elsewhere. It was not a place for the nobility to find much, if any interest in. However, this day in particular, as Kaida was to go through her usual chores of assisting with dusting off the statue dedicated to Pheorr in the entry hall, her hand halted upon the statue's shoulder, a chill running down her spine. The old chapel doors behind her slowly squealed open, and with it the sound of heavy footsteps made an uncontrollable feeling of dread sink into her chest as her gaze dropped to the marble floors beneath her, crouching down as to immediately make herself seem insignificant, and for once being grateful of the heavy robes that she was badgered into wearing that morning.

The heavy footsteps echoed past her, and the gaze from the man settled on her like he always would. The sensation caused beads of sweat to spring to life upon her forehead, the dreadful feeling she was getting from the man being enough to make her hands shake. Something was wrong, and the steps had stopped this time instead of passing her by like they normally would. Blue eyes flashed to her left toward the fine shoes, and the silence alone felt dreadful as the man didn't say a word, causing Kaida to lift her head ever so slightly to peer upward. She immediately wished that she didn't.

The dark eyes set within the man's face caused an icy chill to flow across her skin, an almost sinister light sparking in the depths that she could not and would not understand the reason for it. It felt like the man was that of a predator, and she the foolish prey. I can't breathe. The pressure, although not unfamiliar when this nobleman visited seemed far more potent in that moment than she ever remembered occurring before. It seized her throat, preventing her from taking in much needed breath as she knew not how long her eyes met the man's own; but the fear that overtaken her face seemed to not draw much emotion in the man's own aside from the most confusing quirk of his lips as he turned away from her, releasing her from the silent standoff and causing the woman to sharply intake air into her lungs. She needed to leave.

The peculiar event was one that she in particular did not want to experience again, as the ancient terror that had sprung forth in her chest had thrown her usual composure out the window. Should she have been thinking through things thoroughly? Should she had sufficiently planned out her actions as well as an escape route? Yes, yes she should have. But Kaida didn't have the luxury of time as due to staying at the chapel for far too long, there was a cart that had been visiting Farnfoss for the past year or two. Granted, she didn't know if whoever owned the cart was seeking blessings from the head priest, nor did she ever get a good look at whoever the person was that visited, but she did know well enough that hitching a ride would be her best option of escape.

Perspiration beaded the woman's forehead as she peered out from the side of the chapel, her body hugging the wall as the sound of voices carried on the wind. It seemed distant enough, which her gaze then settled upon the cart that was vulnerable for her to jump in. With one last look around to double check to see if anyone was watching, Kaida darted behind the cart, heaving herself upward over the edge and squeezing her body underneath the nearby mounds of furs within the cart, nose wrinkling as the furs tickled her face and nose, though she quickly settled as she heard approaching voices upon the breeze, making her strain to attempt to hear.

384838a8e95bae4aa86bb4198488112b.jpgYoon Song-Dae

"Careful on the roads, my boy. Bandits have been causing the magistrate a great deal of trouble," The voice of Priest Rogri drifted over the breeze, in a tone of gentle concern.

"Of course. I avoid them when I can," Yoon replied, smiling gently and shaking the man's hand. He was a young man, with a voice like a calm brook and gentle, soft features to match. A head of dirty blonde hair framed warm amber eyes and an upper lip cleft by a short scar, continuing a short distance up his cheek. Priest Rogri nodded and patted Yoon's hand.

"I know, I know, but an old man cannot help but worry. I appreciate your diligence in coming here. Please, extend my regards to your family. Tell your mother I wish her a speedy recovery,"

"I will," Yoon said, and the cart bowed slightly as he climbed into the driver's bench. "It was good to see you again, but I have to leave lest it get dark too quickly. Farewell!"

"Safe journeys," Rogri replied, returning Yoon's wave. Yoon clicked his tongue and the sturdy draft horse started forward, the cart wheels grinding into motion and bumping along the path. It was a pleasant day; the sun was warm and a cool breeze stirred the leaves of oaks and aspens as the cart left the temple grounds and drove down the road towards the village proper. Yoon began to mutter to himself, running over figures and margins.

"Now, do I buy more onions or cabbage? They've a shortage of both in the towns beyond, but I can buy the cabbage at a better cut... what do you think, Tok?" He asked, apparently to the horse. There was a soft whinny and snort as Tok looked back at his owner with a look of bemusement. "Ah, you're right. I'll just check the ledger and see what the profits were last month,"

Yoon pulled on the reins and brought the cart to a halt at the side of the road, then reached into a small storage container behind the seat. The ledger wasn't there. He sighed and hopped off the cart, walking around the back and climbing up into the storage bed.

"Now, where did I put it...?" He mused, lifting and prodding the furs. He halted suddenly, noticing a rather strange outline under one of the piles. It was lumpy, compact, and... somewhat human shaped?

Yoon reached down, grabbed one hem of the fur, and lifted, revealing a young woman nestled in his cargo. While he had been musing about vegetables he had actually been undertaking human trafficking, apparently.

"Uh... Hi,"

There was sounds, muffled of course against the stifling press of furs that Kaida had impulsively decided to hide beneath. Her thoughts were a flurry, primarily bouncing between hoping that no one would discover her absence and the incredulous hope that she could escape this dreaded place for good. The voices in particular drew closer, prompting the young woman's breathing to become shallow, trying to go as still as possible as her ears strained to pick out the flow of conversation between what would only be men's voices drifting on the wind. There was only one voice in particular that should even identify, that being Priest Rogri's familiar baritone that contrasted the unfamiliar voice. That wasn't unusual... or so she had thought for a mere moment. After all, with the unfamiliar noble that had visited, it wasn't uncommon for Rogri to be the one to handle guests. Nonetheless, knowing full well that a priest was so close by was making her heart begin to pound, anxiety rising in her chest as the voices had stopped and soon with it the cart would lurch, a telltale sign that they were now on the move.

The breath that she had been holding had slowly left her, eyes rounded in shock that her rather very lackluster plan had succeeded! It didn't mean necessarily she was out of harm's way yet, but getting out of Farnfoss was the first and only step that she could bother to think of; everything else... well, she could consider all of that later! Right! Triumphant was the smile that curved over her lips as the cart rocked and tottered down the pathway leading out of the town, though she could hear more mumbling from whoever was the owner of the cart she had so hastily taken refuge in. Something about... food? She could assume so judging alone from what she could make from the muttering of whoever was victim to her new antics, it nearly made her peer out from her hiding spot: nearly.

She was not a complete fool, after all she knew not how far away she was from Farnfoss at the moment, and yet the longer she remained curled up underneath the furs, the more uncomfortable she was becoming. The rocking of the cart was nauseating, feeling dips and bumps in the earth beneath the cart, and considering she had been foolish enough to try and hide herself underneath furs, it was uncomfortable with how the pelts tickled at her face, her nose. Her stomach clenched in knots as she sucked in a shallow breath, trying to suppress the wave of nausea and slightly cursing her impulsiveness. However, nothing would compare to the anxiety within her as the cart rolled to a stop. What? What's happening? Eyes darted restlessly within the darkness of the furs as she sucked in her breath, hearing the sound of feet hitting the ground which caused her heart to drop. Had she been discovered? That was impossible, she had been so quiet!

Her blood roared within her ears, the panic rising within her chest and then... searing bright light. A hiss left her lips in response as slender hands came up to shield her eyes from the sudden glare of sunlight shining down upon her, her long blonde hair in a messy disarray about her head due to her haste in trying to hide. Trembling fingers soon would drop from her face as she squinted at the human shape that was peering down at her.

She had been discovered.

The woman froze, eyes growing wide as her face paled, muscles tensing one by one as her mind was in a frenzy. The man spoke, and even if it was a non-hostile greeting, her immediate conclusion was to defend herself. Yes, defend herself! But with what? She didn't think this far, she didn't even have any weapons on her! ...But that didn't mean she wouldn't try to secure herself some ease of travel. Scrambling immediately within the furs, the young woman bared her teeth at the stranger, back hitting the edge of the cart's wall, as she seethed, "Do not breathe a single word about me being here, or else- o-or else I-I'll kill you, understand?!" Weak, the threat was weak and yet from the untamed disarray of blonde hair about her head and the sudden increase of her breathing, one would not be mistaken to think she was a madwoman.

Kaida certainly felt insane, after all she was threatening a man and had no weapons to kill him with. Not that she would be able to use a knife or any blade properly to defend herself if she wanted to. The woman's position shifted as her eyes blazed in some sort of ferocity... or was it fear? Maybe a little of both? Regardless, she certainly seemed unhinged threatening a complete stranger out of nowhere.

"Woah there, it's alright," Yoon replied, holding his hands out placatingly. He felt more like he was trying to calm a cornered animal, but the way the girl was looking at him certainly prompted that instinct. He took a moment to study her appearance, noting the soft, callous-free hands and her fair complexion; not the hands of a typical villager. A noble? A priestess? An escapee of some sort? Yoon glanced at the woods around them, wondering if he had blundered into some sort of ruse.

"I'm not going to hurt you," He said, trying to speak as calmly as he could. Ill rumours had been spreading on the road of bandits that captured young men and women to ship off and be sold as servants and slaves, but he had dismissed them as only rumours. Still, the roads had taught him keep a critical eye on anyone he met on his travels.

And yet, he couldn't shake the hunch that this petrified girl in front of him likely wasn't one of those sorts. if she was, then the bandits around these parts had certainly improved their acting skills. Up front Tok bent his neck around to try and see what all the commotion was about. If there was anything the horse didn't like, it was when people messed with his pull thing and the strange but nice human that often sat on top of it.

"I've got no weapons on me, if that's any consolation," He shifted to sit on the cart side, hoping that would make him seem less threatening. "My name is Yoon Song-Dae, or just Yoon for short. I'm a merchant. Are you in any danger? Is someone after you?"

The words from the stranger made the woman shrink back more, eyeing the man's hands with obvious distrust. Was he going to apprehend her? To bring her back? She couldn't allow that, certainly not! Not when she had come this far and- wait, where was she to begin with? The fierce edge to the woman's face had ebbed as her expression had settled into wonder at her surroundings. This wasn't Farnfoss? This... wasn't Farnfoss! Ah! She did it! She escaped!

Scrambling now on hands and knees, the woman had leaned over the edge of the cart as her eyes took in the unfamiliar forest around her, completely forgetting the stranger behind her as the scent of the forest filled her nose, sending shivers of delight down her spine as she couldn't suppress the broad and victorious grin that was all too quick to sweap across her face. She really was outside of that dreadful village! Laughter threatened to bubble up in her chest as her head whipped to and fro, as if she couldn't possibly take everything in... and then the voice caught her attention again.

Immediately, though she was scrambling in doing so, the woman's eyes narrowed in newfound hostility as her cheeks colored pink in embarrassment. How could she get so distracted like that? What was wrong with her? The mental scolding made her want to hide herself underneath the furs, her shoulders hunching over as her eyes darted to the sight of the large horse tethered to the cart and... woah! She never seen a horse that big before! Once more the fierce expression had temporarily faded as childlike wonder sparked in her eyes, her fingers itching to touch the fur covering the beast. This all was a sensory overload for her, evident in her lack of focus, but her attention would be quick to eye the strange man again, hostility immediately flaring up as well as newfound embarrassment.

A merchant? Quizzically, Kaida's eyes ran over the man a few times. Well, she supposed he would be a merchant; he seemed a bit... odd. Not quite dressed like the merchants of Farnfoss that she was familiar with, and he didn't seem too closely affiliated with the church... at least not yet. Even his name seemed a bit strange to her ears, but that did make her more curious, and due to her all too expressive face, this curiosity seemed to win out over her previous aggression.

"Y-Yoon...?" She repeated his name with caution, still eyeing the man with some distrust as she tilted her head at him, almost as if she was struggling to determine whether this man was a threat or not. However, his following questions made the woman visibly uncomfortable, her eyes seeming far more interested in burning holes into the cart beneath her. "I..." She hesitantly began, trying to come up with some excuse. But, recalling the icy chill from the stranger she had crossed paths with had made the fear come back all too strong as her expression pinched.

"I just.. I just need to get to the next town." She finally conceded, eyes now looking back from where the cart had come. Did the priests know she was gone by now? Were there already search parties being sent out? The idea of it made the fear tinge with anxiety as her head turned to look back to the merchant, "Please, I can't go back." She was a fool, she hadn't thought this far but this man seemed nice enough. From what she could see, he didn't have any ill intentions so far, maybe she could appeal as a defenseless soul? Perhaps that was taking advantage of the man, but she didn't really have any other options.

"Alright then. I can help with that," Yoon replied, thought now running even more rampant. Can't go back? What is she running from? Watching her childlike awe at the world around her had certainly appeased Yoon's doubts about her, but he hoped he wasn't getting himself involved in anything over his head. His mother had warned him about strange women, but he felt like she had been referring to something else. He stood up, glad the situation had calmed down a bit.

"Look, I won't pry. If you want a ride, I can give you one, but if we're to make it anywhere near the next town by dark, we'll need to get going pretty quickly here," Yoon said, bending down to rearrange some of the furs Kaida had been hiding under. After making sure everything was still accounted for, he climbed over the front to sit back down on the driver's bench and take up Tok's reins. He turned in his seat to look back at Kaida.

"You're welcome to stay back there, but if you want a better look at things you can sit up here with me. Your choice," With that, he clicked his tongue, and Tok started off, shaking himself in relief at returning to his favourite activity: pulling things. While speedier than walking, the cart was by no means fast, meaning practically every route Yoon took was a scenic one. The forest road was often crooked and narrow, hemmed in by long grasses and clusters of monkshood. They passed a fallen log laden with moss and mushrooms, and atop it a squirrel watched the cart go by warily as it guarded its winter stash.

And yet Yoon still felt nervous. Evidently, whatever his passenger was running from was nothing trivial. Doubts plagued the back of his mind, but he knew he needed to do the right thing. Leaving her behind would only make him no better than the bandits.

"If you're hungry, I've a bit of bread and cheese," Yoon spoke up, as the cart passed over a squat bridge crossing a stream. He reached into the bench's storage compartment and took out a cloth bundle, offering it to her. "Nothing too special, I'm afraid. I can make you something more tasty when we make camp,"

Was her pitiful plea convincing enough? Perspiration dotted the woman's forehead as her eyebrows pinched in the beginnings of visible anxiety. She hadn't personally dealt with other people, after all Kaida had not been permitted to speak to visitors when she had been held within the chapel, and even when she did sneak out, she refrained from communicating with the people in Farnfoss out of fear of punishment if her little escapes would be discovered. But, now it truly was dawning on her how damning this situation she had hastily put herself in.

She had no weapons, no money, nothing that could be of use to the man across from her. Not only that, she had rudely threatened said man and had the nerve to beg for his help? Was she an idiot? She would be lucky if he decided to turn a blind eye and allow her to continue on her way on foot... not that she knew where she was going anyways. The thoughts piled up much to her dismay, shoulders hunching over as she now felt like she wanted to hide again, "I understand, I- what?"

The more logical choice, one that she was bracing herself for was an outright refusal and the evicting of her from the cart itself. That was a normal reaction, some form of punishment for her poorly thought out escape. However, the merchant was actually going to help her? Had she heard properly? Disbelief twisted her expression as her eyes squinted at the man, distrust flaring in her chest again. Was this a joke at her expense? But, he seemed... genuine.

"I- what? You can't just- huh?" Her words stumbled over each other with question after question beginning to spring to her own lips, the aggression within her body evaporating and instead was replaced with her staring slackjawed and dumbfounded at Yoon as her eyes followed the merchant as he returned to his position on the driver's bench as yet again he was now treating her nicely.

Soon, Kaida was left a mute and stunned passenger, her back reclining against the cart's side as her head rested upon the edge, staring at the scenery passing her by as her mind swirled in confusion. This was going far better than she had hoped, maybe she was a genius after all? Or was she just lucky? Nervously, her fingers now turned to fidgeting with strands of her curly blonde locks, fidgeting with discomfort though this too would fade as the cart was well on its way and thus the woman's childlike enthusiasm would spark, chasing away her previous anxiety as she took to eagerly leaning off of the edge of the cart, a broad grin crossing her face as her enthusiasm heightened at the sights and smells that graced her senses.

Ah, how she had missed this! Wait, or rather she felt like she had missed this, missed the sensation of days she felt she could no longer remember clearly, and the feeling of the wind across her skin, the feeling of dirt underneath her feet... but she had never left Farnfoss, so the phantom memories that danced to life within her mind made little sense, not that she was paying no heed to them for long as she pointed toward the squirrel that caused an excited squeal to leave her lips, "I-Is that a squirrel?! It's so cute!" A.. squirrel, something so very ordinary to see in the forests and yet from how Kaida was reacting, she was treating the animal like it was some rare creature. Though, it might as well be to her.

The sound of Yoon's voice had made the woman flinch, her head turning immediately toward him as he extended his hand out and produced some bread and cheese, though it wasn't the most extravagant meal, the quality alone had made the woman's embarrassed face ease into ravenous hunger. The bread actually looked quite soft, and the cheese wasn't... Her fingers reached out and gingerly took the bread and cheese from his grasp, nervous in the movements that followed to put some space between them as she began to nibble away at the bread and cheese despite wanting to tear into the food, yet upon the first bite she had paused, almost as if the taste was unfamiliar. But she was rather stunned that it wasn't stale. It actually tasted good.

Wonderment crossed her face then as she began to eat a little bit quicker, though she made care not to make a mess in the cart as she did so, the manners that had been drilled into her making an appearance as her stomach grumbled in delight at the fresh food she was finally consuming. Only when she was done, she had spoken up, "Um... do you have anymore?" Kaida'a eyes nervously shifted to the merchant then, a bit more meek and reserved than she had been earlier, "I, er... forgot to eat before I.." That was a major oversight on her part, the woman had skipped over her morning meal to get out of the chapel. Granted, Yoon's follow up offer had made the woman shake her head, "T-There's no need! Just bread and cheese is fine, really!" That was what she was used to after all, granted it was more simple and disappointing than anything else.

"Hungry, are we?" Yoon remarked, smiling broadly. If only more people could be that impressed by travel rations. "Okay, but this better tide you over until dinner," He reached back down and produced another bundle. Looked like he was skipping lunch today. He passed it back to her and turned his attention back forward, making sure the cart was keeping straight to the path. Despite the situation, he couldn't help but feel his doubts dissipate into a strange sense of contentment. It was a little nice, having someone else on the cart. Yoon didn't mind being alone, but the prolonged loneliness that followed him was a tiring one. Tok, while a good listener, wasn't exactly a responsive conversation partner.

Above all else he missed his family and his home. The little fishing huts strewn along the coast. The fog over the water at dawn and the blazing sunset as the boats came home. His mother's cooking. His little sister's teasing. The look in his father's eyes when he sat up in the bed and told his son he was proud of him. Yoon missed all these things, but the weight of responsibility was much stronger of a pull.

They rode on in silence for a while before Yoon spoke up again.

"Uhm... if it's not too much to ask, could I know your name?" He glanced back at her, hoping the request wouldn't be misunderstood. "Obviously, if it's too dangerous for me to know, you don't have to tell me. Just... would be nice to know, is all,"

Color flared to life in embarrassment at Yoon's comment, clearing her throat as she turned her head away from him, hoping to use her long hair as a shield from any close scrutiny. Nonetheless, her attention would soon be caught again by his movement and with sparkling eyes, the woman's attention locked upon the bundle of fresh bread and cheese, prompting her mouth to water. "It will!" Her enthusiastic response would follow, all too happy to grab the bundle from his hands as she took to eagerly eating the rations he'd given her; although she would have refused if she had known that this was his share. Kaida knew not how tough it was on the road.

The silence that followed was comfortable, interrupted only by the sounds of the cart and the sounds of Kaida feasting upon the fresh bread and cheese, eventually the woman would allow a contented sigh to leave her lips, reclining back against the cart again as she took to staring up at the skies above that she could see through the canopy overhead. My... was the skies always so blue? Were the clouds always so fluffy? It felt so nice, this liberating freedom of actually being outside.

A joyous smile crossed her face as she turned over on her side, eagerly gazing at the trees that passed slowly by, the slow pace of the cart giving her ample time to gaze upon the details she had been so blind to through no fault of her own. Even the smell of leaf mold was so very comforting, like she was returning to some long lost home... it felt good.

But then the merchant had to speak, and his question immediately caused the young woman to whip around, the fierce edge to her eyes returning as she glared daggers at the man's seemingly innocent question. Rosy lips turned down in a harsh frown as she considered for a moment, weighing the risks of allowing this stranger to know. A name was just a name... but if she was planning on leaving as soon as she reached her destination, surely it couldn't hurt that much? After all, it wasn't as if she was letting him know any critical information.

"...Kaida." She finally relented, a huff of breath leaving her lips as she turned to inspect their surroundings as if the mere uttering of her own name was going to summon a calvary out of thin air, "My name is Kaida." Blue eyes flickered over toward Yoon a few times, caution settling within her as well as curiosity. She was very curious, too curious in fact.

"..Do you travel a lot, Yoon?" She would assume so, considering it seemed like he was a traveling merchant compared to the ones who set up their shops and residence permanently in towns. It made her curious just how far he had went, as he seemed quite comfortable on the road.

"Well, Kaida, you could say that," Yoon replied, visibly glad she was starting to open up more. "As you may have already gathered, I'm not really from around here. My family left our homeland when I was a toddler, driven away by conquest. Now I take up my father's trade," He looked over his shoulder back at her, noticing the second bundle of food's rapid disappearance. "I'm on the return trip now, though. I've been gone from home for three months, I think,"

He frowned slightly and puzzled over the estimate. Had it really been that long? He had certainly made longer trips.

"This is one of the longer spells. Sohyon will be cross. Usually I can appease her with some sort of gift or souvenir, but the older she gets the pickier she becomes. Now the hairpins I had given her last year aren't stylish enough, apparently. I guess the fashion world of a tiny fishing village is a quickly evolving one," Yoon said. He was about to speak further before he halted himself, realizing he had been rambling. Such was his tendency when he mostly talked to either himself or a horse.

"Ah, er... sorry. I'll just stop talking, lest I bore you to tears,"

Kaida perked up as he had begun to answer her curious question, eyes brimming with awe at the mention that this man was in fact not from around the area. Well, upon closer inspection, he certainly didn't seem to match the usual faces that she was well acquainted with... not that it accounted for much since she had never gotten the opportunity to venture outside of Farnfoss until now.

At the mention of a name, a female name at that, her curiosity spiked as she echoed the name off her tongue, "Sohyon..?" The question evidently was in her eyes as Yoon had begun to describe the individual, making Kaida's expression gentle as she couldn't help to smile a bit. It seemed whoever this Sohyon was, she seemed to at least care a great deal about the merchant, "Hm? Well, she certainly seems like a handful. Maybe you should go back home to her soon before you get into deeper trouble?"

The concept of siblings was not something she had ever experienced, much less family. In fact, a hands off and icy upbringing was what she was accustomed with, not even having a person to call friend. Blue eyes shifted to look down upon her lap as she fiddled with the hem of her dress, though had immediately shook her head in alarm as he apologized, "No, no! You're not boring me!" The words came out in a rush as she struggled to regain her composure, the woman's eyebrows furrowing as she fell silent for a moment.

"I'm curious to know a little bit more. I never usually get opportunities to talk to other people, especially travelers so..." She trailed off, embarrassed at her clumsy explanation, "So, who is Sohyon?" The curiosity in her tone was obvious, though she was making the assumption that whoever she was, perhaps it was a close friend or maybe a lover perhaps? Granted, she figured that the idle conversation would make the journey to the next stop not feel as long if she were silent the whole time.

"That would probably be best, but the weather isn't always on my side," Yoon replied with a shrug. "I can't go home empty handed, though,"

He watched Kaida's face lighten up a bit and responded with a smile of his own.

"Sohyon? Oh, sorry, she's my younger sister. Turned fifteen this year. A pain in my side but I do my best to be a nuisance to her as well," He explained, a hint of melancholy in his voice. "We've always gotten along "And... what about you? Is there a family missing you?"

Slowly but surely, he was determined to piece together Kaida's story. She didn't look like she had already been traveling much, which meant she was likely from the temple, or at least Farfoss. What could drive her away in such a state?

Kaida's curiosity had faltered for a moment as soon as he had answered her question regarding the identity of whoever this Sohyon was. A younger sister it seemed, and from the melancholy that laced the merchant's tone, clearly someone that he was fond of. She... did not understand the extent of the emotion, nor the tenderness of such affection for a sibling. It seemed wonderful indeed, but it was something she wasn't permitted to have.

So, her expression in turn like an open book would dampen, a downturn to her lips as she seemed far more interested in looking down at her fingers which were now fiddling once more with the hem of the itchy material of her dress. Noticeably there was a slope of her posture, her silence being like that of a brick wall. But, this was only due to her being undecided on whether she should reveal any more information about herself to this stranger.

Part of her wanted to deny his question and change the topic elsewhere, but the other resisted. Surely, this man was not intending on turning on her, at least not until they would reach the next town, and his question wasn't too harmful... The tension within her body had unwound all at once as the frowning face regained some cheer as she shook her head at Yoon, "...There's never been something like that for me."

Honesty rang in the words as her mind recounted the stifling chapel and the priests' whose gazes regarded her with icy apathy. There was no comfort in that place, no praise, no acknowledgement. As for parents... she could not recall the memory, or did she even have such a thing? Her eyelids drooped in response, shoulders following suit, "I don't know them. I've only had... hired caretakers." That alone was as much as she was willing to share. No need to explain more and let more slip, the less this man knew about her, the better.

"Ah," Yoon said, somewhat muted. "I see," Hired caretakers? Perhaps she really was a runaway noble. It would explain her appearance and lack of worldly knowledge. Still, Yoon couldn't help but feel pity rather than suspicion. He considered himself incredibly lucky to grow up with such a loving family, and couldn't imagine any other world. They were the reason he was the man he was today.

"Well, if it is in my place to say so... I sincerely hope you find someone like that one day. Love is what gives us purpose, or so the poets say. Without it we are aimless," Yoon said with a shrug. "A little fanciful, but I guess it's true," He reached under the bench and produced a waterskin, from which he drank before returning to its compartment. The woods opened up somewhat, the path running alongside a grass clearing in which a pair of deer grazed, accompanied by a spotted fawn.

"Whitetail," Yoon noted, nodding in their direction.

~

The day progressed peacefully, and before long the sky in the west burned warm and low like dying coals. As evening approached the air became much cooler, and the forest floor became dotted with shadows and blotches of darkness. Yoon wheeled the cart over to the side of the road, finding a small clearing with a fallen log to bring the cart to a halt.

"Well, unfortunately we're a little shy of the town, and I don't want to go on traipsing in the dark. We'll have to make camp here," Yoon explained, hopping down from the cart and moving to untether Tok. He led the draft horse over to a patch of long grass and shrubs, leaving the horse to graze and eat his fill. Next he reached into the back of the cart and pulled out a variety of camp implements: a metal grill, cooking pot, and various other utensils and tools. He kicked some of the underbrush free to start piling some firewood he had kept on the cart, stacking them carefully like a little log cabin.

"Could you do me a favour and help find some kindling? Small sticks, dry grass, that sort of thing," Yoon said, unsheathing a knife from his cooking kit and touching up its edge with a smooth, oblong stone. "I'll get some of our dinner ingredients ready in the mean time,"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back